Comforts from the Unexpected by Firestar
Summary: The story begins with a fire at the Dursleys & Harry is locked in his cupboard. Rescued by a spiritual presence, he is sent to stay with a certain Potions Master, bringing in a new range of adventures. Suicide attempts, abuse
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 43 Completed: No Word count: 83206 Read: 173537 Published: 31 Jan 2005 Updated: 31 Jan 2006
Chapter 32 by Firestar

Severus just stood there, frozen and unable to move. The sight before him was more horrendous than anything he could have ever imagined.

Sebastien Frostpine a.k.a. Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived, Savior of the Wizarding World, lay on the cold, stone floor. A pool of blood surrounded his body, trickles leaking in different directions. The boy's normally sparkling emerald eyes were glassy and emotionless. The smallest hint of a smile could be seen on the lips.

Severus couldn't believe it. Harry had done this. This. Because of him.

It pained him more than anything to know that it was him, Severus Snape, who had driven the boy to this step. As he stood there, only one thought ran through his mind. This is all my fault.

There was the flutter of wings, and looking up, he saw a fiery phoenix flying past him. It came forward, landing on Harry's body. It opened its mouth wide as it began to sing, the beautiful, but eerily trilling music ringing loudly through the air. As it sang its mysterious tune, pearly tears fell from its midnight black eyes, dropping onto Harry's scarred wrists.

This action broke Severus out of his stupor. He quickly rushed forward, pulling the boy into his arms, holding him close. Blood dripped onto his robes, but he didn't care. All he could think of was this. And what had happened. What Harry had done. Because of him.

"I--I'm sorry, Harry," he whispered quietly. A single tear leaked out of his eyes and rolled down his cheek.

He sat there for what seemed like hours, but in reality, it was only minutes. Suddenly, he was pushed out of his position by a heavy weight. He turned just in time to look into a pair of angry grey eyes.

Eliza apparated once again, this time appearing on the second floor. She had just finished searching the first floor, and finding no one, she had moved upwards.

She stood on one end of the hall, next to an empty, unused classroom. She began to search, banging open doors and using unlocking charms on the ones that were locked. One by one, she looked until she found herself at the other end of the corridor.

She was about to give up and move to the third floor when the sound of a melodious trilling stopped her in her steps. She would recognize it anywhere. Phoenix music. However, it was this particular tune that scared her. The sorrowful melody sung only in mourning during the death of a beloved one. There was only one thought in her mind as she headed in the direction of the music. Harry.

The song seemed to be coming from an old, unused washroom at the end of the hallway. Pushing the door open, she froze in her steps.

In front of her lay Harry, surrounded by a pool of crimson blood. Professor Snape sat on the cold, stone floor beside him, the boy wrapped protectively in his arms. A brilliant phoenix flew in front of them, continuing to sing.

An unexpected spark of rage raced through her. Looking at the patterned lines on Harry's wrist, she could tell he had done this to himself. And judging by the fact that he had seemed fine before his "lesson" with Professor Snape, the Potions Master had been the one who had made him do this.

She launched herself at the older man, pushing him away from her. She would deal with him later. For now, she turned to Harry, focusing her healing magic at him. Judging by his healing aura, he had lost a lot of blood. If she didn't hurry, it would be too late.

She was concentrating so hard that she didn't notice the door bang open behind her, nor did she see Draco looking at the sight before him, shock and fear clouding his normally cold, grey-blue eyes.

She concentrated on the boy's magical aura, using her own energy and pushing in. Using her own life force to supply him, she turned and began healing the cuts on his arms. Slowly, minutes ticked by. Eliza worked tirelessly, healing the scars one by one until none was left. Finally, she let go, sagging onto the ground tiredly. She had done the best she could. The rest would be up to Harry. And Fate.

She sensed someone moving and saw that Severus was once again heading towards Harry. "No!" She cried out, stopping the Potions Master. "Don't touch him, you bastard! It's all your fault! He would have been fine if he hadn't some to your 'Potions lesson'! You stubborn git-- this is all your fault! You keep away from him!" She turned to Draco. "I'm getting Madam Pomfrey. You keep an eye on Harry and make sure he, (she nodded towards Severus) doesn't touch him. Got it?" Seeing Draco nod, she turned, and with a swirl of flames, she disappeared.

As Eliza left the room, Severus just leaned against the stone wall, still in shock. A single phrase lingered in teh air.

This is all your fault.

And he knew, in his heart, that she wa sright. If Harry hadn't come to his extra-curricular Potions lessons, he would have been fine. He knew that it was his harsh words that had driven the boy over the edge. Unexpectedly, Harry's words came back to him.

I thought you understood.

"I do understand," he whispered almost inaudibly. "I'm sorry." He ignored the worried looks Draco was shooting him.

A few minutes later, Eliza came back in with Pomfrey, Dumbledore, and to Draco's surprise, Ron and Hermione in toll. Madam Pomfrey quickly went into full nurse-mode, and levitating Harry behind her, left the bathroom, heading in the direction of the Hospital Wing. The rest of them quickly followed with Hermione in the lead, only to have Madam Pomfrey shut the door in their face. Hermione sputtered indignantly as she pulled out her want, trying to use the Unlocking Charm, but apparently, it didn't work on the door of the Hospital Wing.

After trying several more spells, Eliza had had enough. In a burst of flames, she Disapparated, only to appear on the other side of the door. Ignoring Madam Pomfrey's surprised look, she asked quickly, "How is he?"

"We've done all we can for now," the tired nurse said. "What you did was extremely helpful, Eliza. If you hadn't, he might have not made it. The rest, however, is up to him."

By then, Hermione had finally managed to open the door, so Eliza ended up telling them Harry's condition. Dumbledore had a grave look in his eye before he disappeared from his room, claiming he had a few things to 'take care of'. The rest of them stayed until finally, Madam Pomfrey ushered them out, claiming that her patient needed rest.

Severus walked back to his room numbly. He couldn't believe it. It still hadn't actually sunk in.

Harry had tried to kill himself.

Because of him.

He sighed, pouring himself a shot of firewhiskey and downing it in one gulp.

This was all his fault. All his fault.

He poured himself more alcohol.

He couldn't seem to forget the look on Harry's face when he had rejected him. The hidden pain and sorrow had appeared for a mere second before retreating back behind the facial mask. But it had been there.

And the eerily blank expression on the boy's face when he had found him. Severus knew that he would never forget that in his life. The way those emotionless blank eyes had stared back at him, blaming him.

He truly regretted yelling at the child now. Especially slapping him. Severus bit down on his lips, hard enough to draw blood. He should have had more control on himself. He shouldn't have taken out his anger and frustration on Harry.

He sighed, pouring himself another shot. It was all too late now. He just hoped that Harry would come through this alright.

Somewhere in the deep horizon, lost in the darkness of space, two stunningly beatiful females stood watching the scene before them.

The boy is dying, the one with long blonde hair stated softly. Destiny's startling violet eyes shone in the fading light.

Yes, her sister replied. Dark hair gleamed as midnight black eyes flashed. His will is dying. He feels no point in living with the only ones he cares for despites him for who he is.

What shall we do, Fate?

He must live, Fate said softly. Without him, the world will fall to Darkness. He must live. And we must give him the will to live.

What can we do, sister?

We will contact the Founders. Hopefully, they will be able to help him.

Destiny nodded. Alright. Harry Potter must live on.

Fate smiled. Yes, sister. He must.

In a flash of light, the two disappeared.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please REVIEW, people!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=276