Silence is Golden by mercuryflame
Summary: Awaited by many, dreaded by one in particular; Harry Potter takes his first steps in the Wizarding World. But he is not exactly as expected. How will the world react to the REAL Boy-Who-Lived?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Neville, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Physical Impairment, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 10866 Read: 53307 Published: 22 Feb 2012 Updated: 14 Jun 2012
The Bank by mercuryflame
Author's Notes:
Yay another chapter finnished I really do hate leaving it a long time between updates!
The-Boy-Who-continued-to-surprise-him finally seemed to act appropriately and stare goggle eyed at the hideously packed and jostling scene that was Diagon Alley. After landing from the apparition Snape had expected some kind of complaint or at least a demand for explanation or assistance. Instead Potter Jr had taken care of himself, picked himself up and generally not needed any assistance.


That was good- just how Severus wanted it. No need for unnecessary contact between him and James Potters spawn. He carefully ignored the flashing neon light in his head which proclaimed loudly that Potter was also Lily’s child. At least Potter had seemed suitably amazed at the leaky cauldron; Snape had fully prepared himself for the boy to run, or at least wander, off. By contrast Severus had discovered himself with human limpet and to his horror had almost felt the child itching to grab the back of his cloak. Fortunately, forcible removal measures had not been necessary and instead the abnormal child had dogged his foot steps closely, eyes fix on the ground, shoulder instinctively hunched. Self Protection.


Snape had once again violent repressed the personal memories such actions dragged to the forefront of his mind. Morbid speculation would have to wait till later.


Meeting Quirinus had been….interesting. His affect on Potter however, had been slightly disconcerting. Obviously the recently returned DADA Professor merited close watching. Severus had noticed a distinct and not all together pleasant change in the man since his sabbatical leave. Nothing immediately eye catching, but to a war hardened spy like himself enough to be concerned over.


Even odder had been Potters retreat behind him, as if the boy had somehow felt ‘protected’ or ‘safe’ in Severus’s presence. This was quite a shock - although Snape reminded himself reassuringly that it may simply be a case of better the devil you know.


Snape had fully expected a barrage of questions about the entrance to Diagon Alley and enjoyed preparing to feel quite smug when he showed the ignorant nitwit the secret, yet not really complicated, entrance. Instead Severus had been tackled with a rational question about Quirrel; an action he found surprisingly intelligent. Either the DADA professor had affected Potter more than he had thought or the boy was actually thinking logically. Considering the latter option to be highly unlikely; Severus decided to leave the Potter conundrum to a later date and direct his attention upon Quirrel. As ridiculous as it made him seem, something about the man sent (well disguised) shivers through his bones and more importantly straight through his dark mark.


…………………………………………………………………………………………..


Deciding he was merely delaying the inevitable, Severus stepped out into the large crowds that filled the narrow alley. Everyone as usual seemed to have left school supply shopping to the very last minute and Severus notched up his death glare in order to clear a pathway through the streets.


As expected Potter followed closely like a faithful puppy, almost snapping on his heels. Though Snape was pleased that it would be unlikely he would have to track down an errant and wandering Potter; he admitted privately that a little more personal space would be preferable. It seemed to be peculiar behaviour indeed; weren’t young boys meant to have the attention span of horned slugs and unable to do anything without becoming distracted. Potter was definitely not displaying such behaviour patterns and rather appeared to be introverted. Although, Snape mused, if he had spent his childhood actually living with Petunia, it was likely he too would have become a little strange in the head.


Whilst Severus ruled sentimentality to be the preserve of drivelling fools and ideological do-gooders like Albus he did enjoy the wide eyed amazement on Potters face a little. For one moment Lily’s features flashed before his eyes, her face a picture of astonishment too as a much younger Severus showed her for the first time the levitation spell.


The grand front entrance of Gringotts, complete with white columns and fine carvings, appeared eventually at the end of the street. Middle aged matronly witches who seemed to have nothing better to do it seemed than block the street with their snotty nosed offspring bustled passed muttering items from Hogwarts lists under their breath. The bank towered above the stumpy wooden shops that cluttered up Diagon Alley and made quite a magnificent sight. However if the boy was impressed with the view he didn’t show it; preferring to move as close to Snape as was humanly possible without actually touching him and almost cowering from the other members of the public who hurried past without a backwards glance.


A tight schedule allowed Severus to once again ignore the Boy-Who-Lived-To-Be-Different’s weird performance and proceed onwards into Gringotts. As usual the pint sized Goblins managed to look down upon him condescendingly, even with their small statures. Severus surreptitiously took mental notes on the most scornful sneers of the various Goblins to add to his repertoire. Pride and Conceit were one thing, self-possession and superior intellect were another all together.


Tricky and generally unpleasant to deal with; Goblins nevertheless demanded and deserved respect, something they little received from most wizard kind. Having been heavily trampled upon continuously through out his life, Severus fully understood their righteous anger and made it his duty to act accordingly. This approach was proved quite fruitful as he managed to acquire a Goblin to lead him straight to the Potter vault, unlike the red faced bigot at the stall adjacent who had been shouting nonsense about the superiority of wizard kind and consequently getting no-where.


As they climbed carefully into the wooden plank cart Severus felt the need to warn Potter, “you have managed to keep the contents of your stomach thus far, to fail now would be a shame.” He accompanied the comment with a smirk and felt satisfied when the boy replied succinctly with focused frown:


YES SIR


Potter wasn’t really acting very…Potterish but Severus decided to dwell on it later. Anything fast moving earned itself the Snape seal of disapproval and he clutched the wooden edges of the cart hard as it rattled along the suspended track. This could possibly be classed even worse than riding a broom, on the upside however the Boy-Who-Lived was wearing a tentative smile – the first Severus had seen on him. It was small but definitely recognisable as a smile. Good…progress thought Severus briefly proceeding immediately to mentally swat himself. His purpose was to assist the boy in buying his equipment and getting to Hogwarts; once completed he could quite rightly wash his hands of the child.


Any pleasure he had gleaned from this observation was lost quickly as the infuriating brat decided to lean precariously out over the edge. Snape was forced to remove one of his hands from safety of the rail and snatch the back of Potter’s baggy t-shirt. What was he thinking!


Not bothering to rein in his temper Snape yanked hard and hissed “I suggest you remain very still for the rest of the journey Mr Potter. Are you capable of that much or do you need a quick lesson?” Dumping Harry back on the bench Severus returned his hand to the side as quickly as possible and re-focused on keeping his stomach convincingly settled.


Potter was now sitting still, perfectly still and rigid as a board. Snape limbered up like an athlete to prepare to snap at him for insolence. He noticed with some surprise that The-Boy-Who-Lived-To-Give-Him-A-Heart-Attack had his fists clenched tightly in his lap and was struggling to control his now heavy breathing, chest rising and falling rapidly. Every other second, the boy’s eyes would flicker swiftly in his direction, almost evaluating his mood and calculating his every movement. Severus felt brief flicker guilt before dismissing it – good, the boy needed to realise that he, Severus Snape, resident greasy bat of the dungeon was not a man to be trifled with.


He barely managed to hold in his sigh of relief when the cart finally stopped and had to strictly refrain himself from smiling inanely at the solid stationary surface beneath his feet. Severus needn’t have bothered as Potter was clearly ignoring him in favour of watching the Goblin as he open the vault in front. The proud golden inscription of Potter beamed brightly from on top of the huge metal studded door, how ostentatious, the Prince vault was far more sophisticated.


As the door finally swung open Potter took a small inadvertent step back in shock and Snape was hard pressed not to do the same. Hundreds upon hundreds of Gallons stood neatly in tall stacks with Sickles and Knuts scatter casually among them. Along one wall sat six or seven sturdy wooden chests each locked and glowing slightly from protection charms. Random pieces of jewellery dotted with glinting stones lay haphazardly as if they had been flung into the vault indifferently. The immense size of the fortune was physically overwhelming.


ALL THIS IS MINE?


Snape was dragged back from his revelry by the newly discovered Croesus beside him, relieved somewhat to see the boy looked as stunned as he did.


Whilst Severus was managing to ignore many blatant indicators very well indeed; the pitiful state of Potters clothes refused to be disregarded. For all his stubborn prejudice he could acknowledge that monetarily at least, the boy had been deprived, and as such the fortune flaunting itself before them was both a miracle and a kick in the teeth. If he had know of the Prince vault when he was young; Severus knew he would have wanted to purchase himself some new clothes instead of the ridiculous baggy old smocks of his father’s he had been forced to wear.


“If Mr Potter would collect his withdrawal” the croaky voice of the Goblin broke through the silence and seeing Potter was making no move to do so Severus leant forward and scooped a large handful of random coins into a large leather pouch.


He pulled the strings sharply and pressed the bag into the boys hands. “Look after this carefully, you have money indeed but don’t let it go to your head” Severus warned gravely; the last thing he needed was another arrogant toe rag throwing money round like confetti.


NO SIR


Good, the boy seemed suitably attentive; this was one Potter at least who wouldn’t flaunt his excessive wealth over him. Hmmm goody another cart ride! As he climbed gingery back into the wooden death trap; Severus considered carefully where to visit first. Buying a wand straight away would inevitably lead to the boy injuring himself or worse others as he waved it around foolishly; better to purchase the mundane such as books and robes first the wizarding world wasn’t all foolish wand waving after all.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Reviews are always greatly greatly appreciated! Thank You


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2763