The Curse of Carter Carnival by watercrystals
Summary: After a chance encounter, Harry and Severus discover a carnival that promises to make all of their dreams come true.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hedwig, Original Character, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Kidnapped, Runaway
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Neglect, Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 45742 Read: 15831 Published: 28 Feb 2012 Updated: 08 Aug 2012
Story Notes:

As it would be quite confusing to myself and my readers to try and describe where everything is in the carnival, I strongly recommend the use of this map whenever a place is mentioned: [upload error - will be fixed soon]

Adventuring to Unknown Destinations by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Ash, for convincing me to upload this and also for helping me out of a scene or so that was giving me grief. :)

They had left him there, alone, in King's Cross station.

Harry was seated on his overturned trunk as he glanced at his watch and noticed the time. It was well into the afternoon and still his relatives had not shown up. He had been afraid that this would happen, ever since he boarded the Hogwarts Express that morning upon the conclusion of his first year at Hogwarts.

Harry had been sitting there for hours now and was getting worried because surely they hadn't simply forgotten him?

With a sigh, Harry stood to his feet and looked at his watch one last time. He reached for his heavy trunk and proceeded to drag it, and Hedwig's cage, towards one of the platforms nearby where he had been sitting, staring longingly towards the barrier between platforms nine and ten.

He didn't know how to get to Privet Drive from where he was, though Harry had considered catching a bus outside, even if he didn't have any muggle money to spend. With so few options that seemed passable, Harry began to pace on the spot and let his trunk rest up against a non-magical wall.

He looked towards the barrier between platforms nine and ten again, if only in attempt to ease his boredom, though for a second he had half-hoped for someone he knew to emerge and help him.

The longer he waited for his relatives, the more helpless harry felt towards the situation. Until the misery turned into anger and he aimed a kick at the side of his trunk, as a way of venting his frustrations. Harry blushed when he caught the disproving glare of a nearby station worker, and moved to sit in the seat next to where his trunk and cage were.

He didn't know what to do now.

Harry hated the idea of going back to Privet Drive, yet he had nowhere else to go. He had no family. Even with two friends, Harry still lacked any clue as to who he would find them or get there. He glanced at Hedwig and considered sending a letter to someone but shoved the idea aside.A reply could take a long time and it was just as bad as sitting around as he waited for his relatives, who Harry really didn't think where going to show up.

As a train arrived at the station on the platform just behind Harry's seat, he turned quickly towards it and pondered for a few seconds. Standing abruptly, Harry grabbed his trunk and cage, dragging them along behind him and towards that platform where muggles where leaving the train.

He bit his lip and fidgeted on the spot, not thinking about anything other than the fact that he could not afford a ticket.

With a burst of reckless motion, the moment when steam began to issue from the soon-to-depart train, Harry lunged forward and tugged at his belongings until he had crossed the threshold and stepped inside the train.

Struggling not to bump into anyone, Harry pulled his trunk and tried not to drop the cage containing his disgruntled owl, as he sought out a seat. Most were filled already with business people, yet he spotted one by a window and sat down with a sight of relief escaping his lips.

Harry could not believe what he had just done, yet it was too late now because the train had just left the station.

As Harry stared out the window, his mind occupied with thoughts of the Hogwarts Express, he didn't care much for where the train was going.

He felt that for as long as he sat there, Harry was fine and not at all abandoned. He was on some sort of adventure and the train would lead him to safety. Sighing, Harry let his mind wander as the scenery outside changed from buildings and busy lives, to landscape and calm nature.

He must have sat there for an hour or two and passed through numerous stations, before Harry finally glanced up and spotted a police officer further along the train. His heart felt weighted in his chest as fear gripped him, because the law enforcer was checking the tickets of all passengers.

And Harry didn't have one.

Once again snatching at his trunk and cage, just as the train departed another station, Harry turned and headed in the opposite direction of the police officer, who spotted him yet had no reason to chase after the boy.

Stepping inside another carriage further along the moving train, Harry's gaze darted around the room even when he had no idea what or who he was searching for. He glimpsed a figure near the end of the train, who was clothed entirely in black, and for a moment Harry could only stare at the man with shock and horror as he was unable to believe who he was seeing.

And there was no mistaking such a person.

'May I see your ticket, ma'am?'

The voice of the officer reached Harry where he stood, several seats away, and jerked him from his stunned state.

Without thinking, which was an action that had landed him on the train to begin with, Harry marched forward with his heavy belongings and sat beside Severus Snape.

The man was reading a newspaper and did not appear to notice him at all.

Harry felt unable to speak as his fears caused terrible scenarios to swim though his mind, such as being kicked out of the moving train in the middle of nowhere, or locked up in a dark and gloomy jail cell. How long would it take someone to realise that no one cared about him?

'Where's your ticket?'

The officer stood over Harry with a suspicious expression marking his features, which was no doubt brought on by the terror-struck look on Harry's pale, wide-eyed face.

'Er...' Harry gulped nervously and looked away.

He prepared to admit that he didn't have a ticket, since he had non to show the man and it wasn't like he could avoid the subject matter for long.

'The boy is with me.' Snape spoke without looking away from the newspaper. He reached into his pocket and extracted two tickets that were shown to the officer.

'Very well, sir.' The officer nodded and moved along to the next isle of passengers.

Slowly, with shallow breaths, Harry glanced sideways at Snape and could not believe that the man was still reading as though nothing was out of the ordinary.

Harry wondered what Snape was even doing on this train and why he seemed content to ignore his hated student who sat beside him. Had Snape somehow known that this would happen? It seemed that way, sine he had two tickets with him and was on the same train as Harry. Or maybe the man had discreetly used some sort of magic?

'Thank you, sir.' Harry gasped out and felt that his gratitude had to be expressed.

Once again, Snape did not even twitch to indicate that he had heard Harry at all, which confused the boy further. He was almost tempted to double-check that the man was indeed Snape, who was seated at his side.


The train pulled into a station barely twenty minutes later.

Snape folded his newspaper once and rose to his feet. Harry, not wanting to be separated from the holder of his ticket and the only familiar person he had with him, jumped up from his seat and dragged his things after the man.

At that moment, he did not care that this was his hated professor...all that mattered was not losing the only sense of direction Harry had then.

Stepping onto the platform, Harry looked around but had no clue where they were or how long he had been on the train for. He felt cold, not because it was now late afternoon, but as a result of his fearful realisation towards how long he truly was.

He had hoped for an adventure, yet this was certainly not the safety Harry had pictured.

'Keep up, Potter!' Snape's voice called from nearby and Harry rushed to rejoin him.

He had no reason to believe he could trust the man and yet the only other person Harry could possibly rely on was one of the random strangers on the station surrounding them.

The unlikely pair left the building on foot.

Harry was too focused on keeping up with Snape's long strides while dragging his trunk and cage along, that he simply forgot to look for a sign of indicated of where he was.

They walked for a short while; with each corner, Harry's arms began to ache further and he almost wished he was seated back on that train with an endless destination.

'Sit.' Snape pointed to a chair just outside a small bakery.

Harry, not needing to be told twice, sank gratefully into the seat and exhaled with relief. He checked that Hedwig was okay and pushed a few owl treats through the bars of her cage as an apology for the bumpy ride she endured as he'd walked and constantly adjusted his grip.

Harry looked up at Snape, but the man had vanished inside the store. He returned a moment later and placed a plate in front of Harry, along with a bottle of water. The plate contained a large slice of chocolate cake that made the boy's mouth water.

The man moved to sit across from Harry, without speaking a word, and returned to reading his paper while Harry thankfully consumed his brief meal.

-- 

Snape stood again the moment Harry had finished.

He started walking again, with an acute sense of direction, in which easily fooled Harry into think that Snape knew exactly where they were. The boy followed without question, though his pace gradually began to slow with his burdening weight.

'Release your owl.' Snape had stopped beside a metal fence and glanced around the street with caution, seemingly determined to avoid looking at Harry.

'Why?' Harry asked.

This time Snape did look at him, with a piercing glare, which caused Harry to nearly drop his cage in reaction. Kneeling towards it, he opened the door to the cage and watched as Hedwig flew off into the late afternoon sky.

Harry stood and glanced towards his professor, who was busy watching the street carefully before Snape tapped his hand against the cage, then trunk, which each shrunk at the contact.

Harry hardly noticed the small tip of a dark wand that stuck out from inside the man's sleeve.

'Thanks, sir.' Harry exhaled with relief.

He pocketed his miniature items and felt instantly calmer already. He peered towards his right and over the fence, to notice a wild park of overgrown grass and dying trees. Looking back at Snape, he winced when the man advanced towards him with the usual loathsome glare that had been absent up until now.

'Well, Mr Potter?' Snape growled. 'Do you care to explain yourself?'

'What?' Harry was startled and confused, which only appeared to anger the man further.

'Were the previous events during the past term not dangerous enough for your satisfaction?' Snape continued.

Harry turned and stepped away from him, until his back touched the cool metal fence behind him.

'Did you think that others would simply chase after their precious golden boy if you were to board a random train, without a ticket? Where did you intend to go? Can you even comprehend the risk you...' Snape paused and his expression became puzzled as his interest slowly rose right over the boy and towards the park behind Harry.

The Gryffindor had seen it too.

He had been staring fearfully, yet with his usual defiance, into Snape's dark gaze when suddenly those obsidian eyes lit up, not with emotion, but in reflection to something brightly coloured behind Harry. Turning quickly, Harry gasped aloud when the park he'd seen earlier was no longer so.

Instead, there was a stunning carnival that looked to be a perfect picture in contrast with the darkening sky.

'Wow.'

Harry could only stare, the previous moment forgotten, as he stared around in awe of the coloured lights, grand rides, laughing people and beautifully crafted signs that directed guests to attractions, food stands and performances. He'd never seen anything this amazing before, magic included, as Harry had always dreamed of going to such a place ever since he had been very little, even if he was never allowed.

Not caring how the carnival had suddenly appeared, Harry decided to take a risky chance and bolted away from Snape as fast as he could.

'Come back here, Potter!'

Harry heard the man call out to him, yet he rushed forward and ducked streamers from a tall woman or avoided members of the increasing crowd. He tried to absorb all that he was seeing, though it only amounted to blurs and flashes as Harry ran by them.

He halted across from a delicious-smelling hotdog stand to observe a tall building with a large, smiling clown on the top.

The large sign read: “The House of Mirrors”.

It was so colourful and as delightful as everything else, yet Harry felt drawn to it in a strange away. It reminded him of the time he had first held his wand while standing in Ollivander's store one year ago.

Remembering Snape, Harry turned to continue his hasty escape, but he had been too quick and bumped straight into the back of a man.

'Oh, sorry!' Harry blushed.

The man turned around and frowned down at Harry, until he seemed surprised and instantly he became quite friendly.

He had short, spiked brown hair and deep olive eyes. The man was taller than average and dressed in striped black pants, a red shirt that was only just visible under his buttoned-up dark blue tailcoat, and a pair of shiny black shoes.

The man said nothing and glanced towards Snape, who had just emerged from the crowd and marched up to Harry, gripping the boy's shoulder with painful tightness.

'What are you playing at, boy?' Snape snarled and otherwise ignored the other man, who watched the pair during a moment of personal amusement, before he finally spoke.

'Is this your son?' The man asked in a smooth tone that had a sense of importance to it.

Both wizards looked at him and neither answered; Harry made gagging motions while Snape was torn between shouting or strangling.

'No.' Snape answered in a low voice.

'What do you think of my carnival?' The man asked. 'Oh, pardon me...I'm Carter. Owner and King of Carter Carnival. So tell me...what do you think?' He questioned with child-like anticipation.

'Oh, er...' Harry looked around at the areas he could see, which was vastly limited when Snape stood over him and kept a grip on him. 'It's amazing, really, from what I have seen. Which is not much, since I sort of...ran away.' Harry glanced nervously at Snape.

'I do pardon our intrusion.' Snape stated to Carter with false politeness. 'We shall be leaving now.'

'Leaving?' Carter repeated. 'You can't leave my carnival. Not yet.' He smiled. 'At least have a proper look around first. I'll even give you a tour. All free of charge.'

'We must decline your offer-' Snape never got to finish his sentence as he reached out and snatched at the squirming Harry, who had made for an escape.

He placed his hands on both of the boy's shoulders, which also effectively silenced the Gryffindor who clearly wanted to look around.

'We are on a rather tight schedule and are required elsewhere.'

'That's a shame.' Carter said in a quiet tone. 'I do wish you would see my carnival. I must insist.'

'Please!' Harry turned the best he could, with his limited movement, to stare up at Snape. 'I've never been to a carnival before and this one looks really cool. If you let me have a look, I promise I'll go with you. I won't run away again, sir...please?'

'Five minutes.' Snap allowed, though he had no idea why other than in effort to silence the other two on either side of him.

'Brilliant!' Carter clapped his hands.

He turned to lead them around the carnival and pointed out rides while waving to people he knew.

Snape, though he watched Harry like a hungry hawk, remained a little to the back of the group where he discreetly hid his interest. He had no intention of admitting that he had once shared the same desire as Harry...because he too had never been to a carnival before, until now.

'And this is Mina.'

Carter introduced the pair to a lady in a blue performance gown. She had wavy, light brown hair and blue eyes, which was certain to capture any man's attention as those features only added to her natural beauty.

'Hello.' Mina smiled warmly at Harry. She didn't appear to notice Snape because he kept his distance from the small group. 'And what's your name, young man?'

'Hi. I'm Harry Po-'

'Ah, ah!' Carter jumped in and alarmed the visiting pair. 'We don't use surnames here.' He explained while Mina looked sympathetic. 'Everyone who is a part of our family starts afresh here. We each have two names: our first real name, and our carny name. Mina is actually Lady Swan right now.'

'It's lovely to meet you, Harry.' Mina nodded with honesty.

'You too.' Harry replied. 'Why are you named after a swan?' He couldn't help but ask, and failed to notice the way Snape rolled his eyes at the notion.

'Come here and I'll show you.' Mina indicated to where she was standing beside the entrance to a violet and blue striped tent.

He stepped closer and watched as she lifted a white feather from a nearby table, and instructed for him to hold out his hands. Harry placed his hands side-by-side and stared at the white swan feather there, wondering what she was going to do to it.

'Clap your hands together and keep them there.' Mina smiled.

While she spoke, Carter glanced at Snape as the man moved a little closer so that he could see what was going on and make sure the boy wasn't going to be harmed.

'Like this?' Harry closed his hands together and frowned.

He wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a magic trick or something like that, but after a moment, nothing seemed to happen. Discouraged and thinking he did something wrong, Harry sighed as he opened his hands. A gasp escaped him as a white butterfly flew away and the feather was gone.

'How did you do that?' Harry asked.

Snape, however, was instantly suspicious.

'Can you make anything you wanted from a swan feather?' Harry asked with delight.

'No, not anything...but I'm still learning.' Mina winked at him.

'Wow. I wish I could do something like that.' Harry commented as he thought upon the existence of magic. He doubted he'd be good at transfiguring a feather into a butterfly as gracefully as Mina somehow had.

'Come along, now. Much to see!' Carter moved their tour onward and soon they had reached full circle.

Standing near the bright and happy clown's head that decorated the hall of mirrors, Harry lowered his gaze with disappointment. He had hoped that the carnival was much bigger than it seemed and he hadn't gotten as to the Ferris Wheel as he had wanted to. He'd always wanted to ride one, yet being so near it was the next best thing and Harry had missed out.

'Did you say everyone that works here is your family?' Harry asked questions in effort to delay their departure.

'Not everyone is so by blood.' Carter replied with a friendly expression lined with sympathy. 'But anyone who is a part of his carnival becomes family. Some of them never leave.'

'I wish I could stay here.' Harry sighed.

He wanted to be a part of a family and living at a carnival looked like so much fun. He wondered what it would be like, to be surrounded by the wonder all the time. Hogwarts and magic was amazing, but it came with darkness and scary stuff too. He had so much to remember for his classes and everyone stared at him because of how famous he was.

'We shall be going now.' Snape gripped the boy's shoulder again and led Harry towards the exit.

'You can.'

Carter's voice caused them to pause.

'Stay here, I mean. It's not by accident that you can see this carnival.'

'What do you mean?' Harry looked at the crowd around them. 'They can see it.'

'They are Muggles.' Carter stood right in front of the pair.

'You...you can do magic?' Harry gasped while Snape remained confused and distrusting.

'Of course.' Carter nodded. 'All of us here have learned to use magic without wands or words, to give Muggles a joy beyond their beliefs. We are very careful, yet bring delight to all who step enter within here. Witches and wizards cannot see this place, because they will know the truth and the Ministry would find us, putting our home out of business.' Carter explained.

'Only those who are lost, have been abandoned or cannot find a place to truly belong, shall see our carnival if they have magical blood. I knew, from the moment I saw each of you, that you will find a home here.'

'That is absurd.' Snape scowled. 'Living in a carnival?' He scoffed. 'What sort of life is that? It lacks purpose and-'

'Duty?' Carter interrupted. 'Our life is not easily understood by outsiders. As a family, we look after each other and not one of us feels alone or unloved. You will be accepted regardless of your past and mistakes. It's a fresh start. A new life filled with possibilities and warmth.' He smiled fondly as he spoke.

'There are no expectations of you, only seven simply rules to be followed. No more pain or suffering, no loneliness and duties forced upon you to be carried out. Two months.' Carter held up two fingers. 'Only two months here and I promise the choice is yours to stay or leave. Give it a try for two months and it shall be granted.

'What shall be granted?' Harry asked.

'See for yourself.' Carter pointed towards the sign high above the entrance/exit.

It read: Carter's Carnival: Where Dreams Come True.

'We need a manager.' Carter glanced to Snape. 'Someone to supervise and instruct the newer family members on non-veral and wandless magic. Something tells me you'd be great for that. And there's always room for a new performer.'

'Oh, I don't think I'd be very good at that.' Harry said when Carter looked at him.

He glanced at Snape and was shocked to realise that the man was actually listening...did that mean Snape might let him stay?

'But I...I'll give it a go.'

'That's the spirit!' Carter grinned. 'You have a talent inside you - we all do. And the carnival will help you find it.'

'You mentioned seven rules?' Snape asked slowly. 'And what might they detail?'

'If you join us for two whole months...' Carter narrowed his eyes. 'I will answer your questions.'

'Yes!' Harry said instantly.

'No.' Snape frowned. 'This is an atrocious notion. A complete waste of time! Come, Potter...we are leaving. Now!'

'I want to stay!' Harry whined. 'Can't we stay? Just for two months? It's the holidays, sir.' He pleaded, completely forgetting his earlier promise to go willingly with the man.

'Maybe it'll be fun?'

'Absolutely not.' Snape snarled and gripped the boy's arm, intent on dragging him out of the carnival if he had to, but Harry's struggle made it difficult.

He hadn't even been looking for the brat! He let the boy think otherwise, but it was sheer luck the pair had ended up on the same train simply because Snape had a habit of riding a train every once and again to clear his mind. It was something Lily had adored and he had been sucked into the habitual routine as well.

'Come on, sir...this could be a great adventure!' Harry insisted.

Snape paused and looked over at the boy, his mind drifting from the scene as he recalled Lily saying the same thing to him when he'd been too afraid to climb a particularly massive tree in a field not far from her house. Her delight and eagerness was reflected in her son's eyes now and for a moment Snape forgot who he was talking.

Yet only for a moment.

Nearby, Carter watched the pair argue with a smug expression on his face. He glanced around to see several of his carnival family members watching the pair with curiosity.

They could feel it too.

They always knew when newcomers had arrived, because the carnival told them and it was yet to be wrong. And so he waited patiently, knowing what the result was going to be even before it happened.

'One week!' Snape finally conceded.

'I apologise.' Carter stated. 'But it's two months only. I assure you, sir...it's not all work. You can still engage in your usual hobbies and sources of entertainment. We only ask that you do so here. We will accommodate to any of your needs or requests.' He added.

'Two months. The time will fly and before you know it, you'll be agreeing to stay with us for longer.'

'I doubt it.' Snape ground out yet there was a long pause that followed. 'Fine.'

'Yes!' Harry whooped. 'I can stay! I can stay! Wait...why are you staying, sir?'

'Did you expect me to leave you here, Potter?' Snape snarled. 'And allow you to run around wild, sugar-high and without any level of common sense? No. Someone ought to keep you in line.' He explained, though it was really more of an excuse, in his own mind.

'Assuming, of course, that your relatives have little objection to this arrangement.'

'They don't.' Harry looked at the grassy ground beneath his feet. 'They left me at the station, sir. I waited and...they never showed up. Uncle Vernon said he wouldn't. I guess I thought he was joking.'

'Their loss and our gain, I say.' Carter stepped forward and offered two pieces of black strings to the boys. Each had a silver coin-shaped amulet attached to it, with a crescent moon on one side and a star on the other. 'Since you are not branded as ours, I must insist that you wear these during your stay.'

'Why?' Snape asked.

Harry just grabbed his own and slipped it around his neck.

'A mere precaution.' Carter answered.

'What do you mean when you said you're branded? Harry wondered.

Snape glanced at him and detected no harm to the boy and therefore held his own amulet but did not wear it until he was satisfied that he detected no magic laced within it.

Carter glanced at Harry and lifted the sleeve covering his left arm, which caused Snape to flinch and worry. Yet the sleeve was raised no higher than a few inches, only enough to reveal the man's wrist, where a tattoo was clearly printed there in blackened ink.

It was of a crescent moon in the shape of a letter “C”, which faced a star.

'The mark of a Carter Carny.' He explained. 'Now, the seven rules? They're simple.' Carter nodded and dropped his sleeve.

'Do not use surnames. Ever. When out here we use our Carny names. When back there...' He indicated towards a shadowed part of the carnival towards the far back right.

'We use our first names. Second rule: never use your wands or speak incantations out here. We cannot reveal what we really are, not to the muggles and not to anyone outside our family.' Carter shared at each of them while they listened.

'We also do not fight amongst family. You never have to share your past if you don't want to.' Carter continued. 'Never. One can ask or offer their own details, but never is it mandatory to tell if you don't feel comfortable with it. Everyone will respect that. You are here as a family member, yes...but ultimately we all must protect and serve the carnival at all costs.'

'Yes, sir.' Harry nodded and hoped he could remember the rules, even if there were only seven.

'Do not leave.' Carter spoke in a serious as deeper shadows appeared in his expression and the friendliness was gone. 'Never. At two months, if you wish to, you may leave. Until then, you cannot. If you need anything, Maude can get it for you.'

'Who's Maude?' Harry felt worried about that rule because it made the carnival sound a little more like a prison.

'He is the only one of us who can leave.' Carter said. 'I'll introduce you later. Which brings us to our last and possibly most important rule, because Maude is responsible for it.' He glanced over their shoulders as he spoke.

'Never, under any circumstance, should you enter the Hall of Mirrors.'

Harry looked over at the clown-decorated building and wondered why such a colourful and inviting place was so forbidden. He stared as the clown turned blacker and its face no longer smiled as sharp fangs and soulless eyes disfigured it. He blinked and the smiling, colourful clown appeared unchanged.

Harry shuddered and forced his gaze away from the place, thinking this rule would not be hard to keep, surely.

'Stay out of the Hall of Mirrors.' Carter repeated. 'You will not like what you may find. Now come along...it's time to meet your new family.'

Harry followed Carter and Snape - who looked to be pondering a way to escape. Harry paused and glanced back at the Hall of Mirrors, shivering as he remembered the way it had mutated into something nasty with the blink of an eye.

Looking over, he saw a man standing just inside the main door, partially concealed by the shadows, and a sense of coldness washed over him.

He must be Maude.

Harry thought he looked as evil as the place had seemed seconds ago. Harry knew he never wanted to go near that building again. He no longer wanted to stay at the carnival for the entire summer.

He actually began to long for the normalcy and safety of his cupboard under the stairs.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I know this is a very different sort of story than you may be used to on here, however could you please review and share your thoughts?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2768