The Curse of Carter Carnival by watercrystals
Summary: After a chance encounter, Harry and Severus discover a carnival that promises to make all of their dreams come true.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hedwig, Original Character, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Kidnapped, Runaway
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Neglect, Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 45742 Read: 16053 Published: 28 Feb 2012 Updated: 08 Aug 2012
The First Night by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Because of the "no surnames" rule at the carnival, you may notice that starting from one point in the chapter Snape will only be referred to as "Severus" from there onwards, regardless of whose point of view it may be. This is intentional.

Thanks so much to Ash for beta'ing this chapter for me. She will be doing so for the upcoming chapters too.

By now it was entirely dark outside, as Severus and Harry followed Carter towards the far right, back section of the carnival.

There were only a few lights that lined the dirt path towards the isolated area, so it was getting darker with each step the group took. Though, they didn't get very far when the road turned left towards where Lady Swan and her violet tent were, when they reached the Smashers ride, which Harry noticed involved car-like things that seemed to be designed only to crash into each other.

At the corner, which is where they now stood, Carter paused as though he could hear something, but there was no sound other than the wind and general goings-on of the carnival.

Carter moved to the side of the Smashers arena and placed his palm on the outer wall decorated with red and black. Harry took the chance to look around and spotted a covered cage he hadn't noticed before, across from the corner of the Smashers and Lady Swan, with only a dirt road between them.

Just as he was wondering what could be inside, Severus reached down and yanked the boy away, thinking he was about to run over and investigate.

'Is there a problem?' Severus asked Carter.

'No.' Carter replied.

A teenage boy, looking to be about seventeen, came down the road with his hands in the pockets of his patched tan pants. He wore a tattered light blue shirt and had short, fuzzy dark blonde hair. His grey eyes spotted where they were standing and he paused to look around, ceasing his whistling at once.

'What's going on, King?' The teenager asked. 'Something amiss? Ain't those Dwellers, is it?'

'No, Gravity.' Carter answered as he removed his palm from the wall. 'Do you feel that?' He asked Severus, who looked suspiciously at him before approaching the side of the Smashers as well.

Severus, wanting to get this over with, placed his hand cautiously against the side, mirroring what Carter had done. Harry was confused as to what they seemed to think was going on and why everyone kept touching the wall of a ride.

Was the Smashers broken? Didn't Carter say something about it all being magic?

'I don't get it.' Harry commented with a shrug.

He stepped towards the wall when Snape had moved away. The man looked further annoyed and impatient, though Harry hardly noticed because his professor always looked like that.

'What could-' Harry gasped as he had just placed his own palm against the wall when instantly there was near-silence. The rides in the entire carnival came to a stop and the lights flickered and went out from the sideshows and attractions, leaving the dim ones marking the pathways with glowing light.

Only the lights on the Ferris Wheel remained on, which Harry didn't understand.

The guests had almost entirely vacated the carnival when Harry was pulled away from the wall by Snape. He turned his hand over and looked at it, but Harry couldn't see why everything stopped when he'd touched the wall. He looked up at Snape, who was staring across the path at a small group of Carnies that had started to head for the tiny road leading to their destination.

'Wh-what happened?' Harry winced. 'I'm sorry! I didn't mean to break it, I swear.'

'You didn't break anything, child.' Lady Swan joined them with a smile on her face. 'Not at all.'

'But...then why did it all stop?'

'It's time to close.' Carter grunted and looked away, not as pleased as the other Carnies towards what had happened. 'Come on! To the main tent, you lot!' He barked to the others, who hurried along the thin path.

Severus and Harry moved to keep up with the crowd. The boy noticed how every one of the Carnies wore something blue and he guessed that must be their uniform.

-- 

After several minutes of walking, they went up a slight slope of a hill and from there Harry and Severus finally noticed a huge, deep brown tent. There was a large flap permanently folded back to allow entrance, which turned out to be of similar size to the doors of the Great Hall of Hogwarts.

'Wow.' Harry said as he passed through the hole and looked around.

It was even bigger inside.

It had a kitchen on the left, the massive space in the middle was filled with eight scattered wooden tables with wooden benches, similar to the ones at Hogwarts, though each looked to seat about ten people; five on each side. To the right was a lounging area with several blue sofas and the walls were lined with books, which Harry noticed had caught Snape's attention. At the far back and across from the “door” was a portion of photographs towards the left end and the right had a door that was actually a bright blue curtain decorated with animated golden stars.

'Where does that go?' Harry asked Carter as he pointed to the curtain.

'The Medical Wing.' Carter answered and seemed calmer than he had before when Harry's palm had caused a reaction in the carnival itself. 'For the ill or injured.'

'Oh.' Harry nodded.

He hoped he never had to go there.

With a sigh, he looked around again and saw that most of the Carnies had not gone near the kitchen or the lounge and were simply seated at the tables. Harry noticed that they went straight to a certain table, as though they had been assigned there. While he stood next to the doorway with Snape at his side and Carter standing just in front of them, Harry realised they were waiting for everyone to be seated.

Once the Carnies had done so, they turned to stare at the newcomers. This made both Severus and Harry very nervous and self-conscious. Especially Harry, who was still dressed in his over-large clothes that had once been Dudley's. At least Snape got to be seen in his black attire, minus the cloak which usually gave him the “dungeon bat” appearance.

Once each table had at least six people seated there, Carter cleared his throat and stepped forward. Harry glanced upwards and instead of floating candles, he saw that the light seemed to illuminate from the material of the tent's ceiling itself. Looking down, he'd have sworn it was lit by electricity because the light gave that clear and bright impression.

'By now I am sure each of you can guess why you have been called off duty early.' Carter began. 'The carnival has recognised two new Carnies today.' He stepped aside and revealed the pair.

Awkwardly standing there, Harry waved shyly while Severus merely nodded, as the crowd of Carnies clapped and cheered.

'Boys, remember the rules of no surnames.' Carter turned to them and lowered his voice so it was a private conversation between himself and the new pair. 'Please step forward, state your first name and that's all you will ever have to tell, unless you'd rather share more.'

Glaring at Carter when the man turned his back to them again, Severus gave Harry a shove to make the boy go first.

'No-' Harry wanted to protest and felt his cheeks heating from the embarrassment as he was unable to stare at all those around them and simple focused on the material flooring of the tent.

'Er, I'm Harry.' He gulped and quickly glanced up. 'Nice to meet you, I think.' Harry added, though it likely came out as a muttered mumble.

He was surprised when the clapping continued and everyone seemed pleased just to hear his name. Some even called out “Hello, Harry!” or similar greetings. Feeling accepted and a little more confident, Harry smiled back and stepped sideways to let Snape speak.

'Severus.' Was all the man said and ignored any applauding sent his way.

He narrowed his eyes at Harry and the boy gasped, having realised what his professor no doubt had as well. If no surnames could be used, than “Snape” and “Potter” were no longer permitted either. He had to call his hated professor by his first name! Harry shuddered, though a smirk played across his lips when he knew that Sna-Severus, had to call him “Harry” now.

'Alright, quiet down you wild lot.' Carter joked, which several seemed to find hilarious, and indicated to the very center table in which had the least filled seats.

Severus nudged Harry again, who shot a glare over his shoulder as he moved to obey. Harry felt anxious again as he passed by the other Carnies, some who were much bigger and meaner-looking than even Snape was.

He finally reached the middle table and a shy smile formed on his face.

'Hello.' Harry said when he saw Lady Swan seated on the left side.

She was alone at the furtherest end, which left two seats to her right available. Harry took the one directly beside her. Across from him was the teenager he'd seen before, yet on either side the seats were empty.

Severus paused and considered sitting on one side of the teenager or beside Harry...neither option was to his comfort.

'Sit with me, sir.' Harry offered as he would rather be surrounded at the table by those he thought to be familiar.

Accepting, Severus gave him a raised-eyebrow expression of reluctance and then slowly sat on the wooden bench on Harry's right. Though, the boy did not miss the amount of space the man tried to place between them.

'Hello, Harry.' Mina, aka Lady Swan, replied. 'Don't be nervous. I know it's all very new and confusing right now, but you'll fit in with us in no time.' She offered him a reassuring smile, which calmed his nerves only a little.

Facing near the doorway again, Harry and Severus watched along with the others as Carter announced that the “newcomers” would be staying for two months before they may make their decision to stay. Harry wondered if this was the normal amount of time, because otherwise there seemed little point in making sure everyone knew that.

Carter stepped away from the door and headed towards the kitchen. He conversed with someone, though Harry could not see a single person there, before pots and pans sprang to life and started cooking. Harry, too amazed and shocked to ask questions, watched as all around the tent, plates appeared on the tables which soon filled with food. Everyone had something different and Harry wondered how it all worked.

Looking down expectantly, Harry was saddened to see he had nothing on his shiny, white plate. His clear goblet was empty also. Glancing to his right, he saw how Snape had the same outcome he did.

'It's okay.' Mina placed a hand on his shoulder. 'You only need to go to the kitchen and order what you would like to eat. We all do this when we come in so the house-elves know that to cook.

'Of course.' Severus said quietly at the mentioning of the creatures, yet Harry paid him no attention.

'Oh, so I...just walk over there?' Harry looked towards the busy kitchen and felt that he'd rather sink from sight and go hungry.

'Would you like me to come with you?' Mina offered with a sympathetic expression.

'The boy can manage on his own.' Severus interrupted as he stood from his seat. 'Come along, Po-Harry. Stop dawdling.'

Harry looked over at Snape with a started expression when the man spoke his first name and told him to move. As his mouth opening to share his protests against the request, Harry yelped instead when Severus grabbed the back of his shirt and hoisted him into standing position.

He felt everyone staring at them and ducked his head, feeling humiliated and uncomfortable about the entire ordeal.

'What is yous wanting for dinner, sirs?' A pinkish house-elf appeared when they reached the kitchen counter which acted as a low wall separated the main part of the tent from the actual kitchen itself.

Because Harry was too busy staring wide-eyed at the creature, Severus ordered his dinner first, which consisted of roast lamb with gravy and steamed vegetables. He also requested a light wine to drink, which is when Harry finally got the courage to look up and made his own order, though he paused and tried to work out what he wanted.

The Dursleys hardly gave him the choice of eating at all, let along offering him anything he wanted. At Hogwarts, Harry just ate whatever was closest to him on the table.

'Er...I'll have chicken with mashed potato and carrots.' Harry said quickly when Severus nudged him again, which he thought was becoming very annoying. 'And...cherry juice.'

He fidgeted with eagerness at the idea of having his own personally picked meal, as well as trying cherry juice which was something he had heard older Hogwarts students say was delicious and yet he never noticed it at the table and wanted to try it.

'Right away, sirs!' The pinkish house-elf, whose name was typically “Pinki”, nodded. 'Yous is to return to your table and Pinki will serve the food, sirs.' She instructed.

'I can walk on my own!' Harry grumbled to Severus when the man reached to tug him along. Frowning at his irritating professor, yet glad that he wasn't the only one going through this new and scary change, Harry hurried back to his seat and sat down with an exhale of relief.

'See? It wasn't so bad.' Mina chuckled as she reached to sip from her own goblet, which looked to contain pumpkin juice, though Harry couldn't be sure.

The food appeared on his plate and his goblet filled with the deep red liquid, which was almost identical to Severus' wine. Reaching for his drink first, Harry took a sip and started choking. Feeling Severus whack him on the back, Harry grimaced and pushed his goblet away.

'Yuck.' He frowned at the drink.

'You requested it and therefore you shall consume it.' Severus growled at him.

Harry did not know it, but cherry juice had been one of Lily's favourite drinks whilst at Hogwarts and he had been so hopeful when the boy had ordered it.

Of course, the only thing James Potter liked about cherry juice was the way it spilled over Severus' head.

'But it's horrible.' Harry whined, yet was silenced by Severus' stern glare. Pouting, the boy picked up his silver fork and spoon as he tried not to drool over the scent and appearance of his meal.

'Do remember your manners.' Severus added before he sipped from his wine, looking sideways at the hungry boy.

Both were unaware of the way Mina and the teenager watched them with rapt amusement.

-- 

Halfway through the meal, Harry glanced up and looked around with interest.

He saw Carter at a table near the front, yet closer to the lounge area. He was laughing with the others at his table, which was one of the only to have every seat filled.

Swallowing, Harry glanced at his goblet but frowned, not wanting to touch it again even if he was getting thirsty. He looked at Mina and felt insecure of his manners when she appeared to be watching him.

'What?' He asked anxiously.

'Nothing.' Mina chuckled. 'How old are you, Harry?'

The boy peeked a glance at Severus' plate, as the man had finished eating a few minutes ago and was now looking around. He mirrored the man's knife and fork placement with his own, since Harry had swallowed the last of his food and tried not to think about his desire for a drink.

'Oh, I'm almost twelve.' Harry replied. 'How long have you been here, Lady Swan?'

'Mina, remember?' She said and glanced around for a moment. 'We use our real names here and our Carny ones out there.'

'Sorry, I forgot.' Harry ducked his head and blushed. He felt her hand on his chin as she lifted it to meet his eyes.

'It's okay, you're still learning.' Mina nodded. 'And to answer your question, Harry...I have been here for-' Mina halted and looked away, seeming confused for a moment. 'Uh, I'm not entirely sure. I don't remember.' She glanced at her empty plate and was lost in thought before she looked back at Harry. 'Since I was young.'

'How old are you n-ouch!' Harry winced in mid-question when he felt a painful pressure on his foot.

He glared at Severus, who was looking away while sipping his wine glass. Harry knew the professor appeared far too innocent. He didn't see what was so rude about asking her age...it wasn't nearly as invasive as crushing someone's foot!

'I'm in my early 30's, Harry.' Mina replied. 'Let's leave it at that.'

'Okay.' Harry nodded and wondered if he had been rude to ask, even as he remembered the rule about how no one had to answer if they didn't want to, yet they were permitted to ask questions.

'Sir?' Harry wondered as he glanced at Severus. 'How-'

'Do not even attempt to ask such a question.' Severus growled. 'I shall not be answering it.'

Harry was actually going to ask how his relatives would know he was there and if Severus didn't mind giving up his holiday, yet he crossed his arms and turned back to Mina, no longer wanting to associate with the grumpy professor.


Harry felt a new wave of nervousness wash over him when others in the tent started getting up and leaving. Some remained and ordered desserts, whereas most looked tired and eager to be in a quieter place.

'Wait, what do we do now?' Harry asked quickly as Mina rose from her seat and the teenager had already left.

'I'll take it from here, Mina.' Carter said as he stood near the table.

'Sure, King.' Mina looked away quickly and swallowed as she turned to Harry and smiled, though it did not reach her eyes this time.

Severus watched her carefully while Harry remained oblivious.

'I'll see you soon, Harry.'

'Bye, Mina.' Harry smiled and waved as she left, deciding he really liked her because she was nice and now familiar to him.

'Right this way, boys.' Carter indicated to the doorway.

'Where are we going now?' Harry asked as he walked ahead of Severus and followed after Carter.

'Your tent. Every Carny has one. Some share, as you two will be.' Carter explained and ignored the grunt of irritation from Severus. 'Mostly only blood relatives share, however it's a law that children must live with an adult. If they are orphans, than one of the same gender will be appointed to them.'

Carter led them to a seemingly random tent and Harry could not help but stare. It was hardly a foot higher than he was and did not look large enough to contain more than one person as long as that person was lying down.

'The carnival opens at eight.' Carter told them. 'Closes at eight, usually. Breakfast is at six-thirty and dinner at eight-thirty. You will each receive a guide for the first day, which you will meet tomorrow.' He recited in a bored tone.

'Rest well.' Carter added and turned to leave, heading back towards the carnival despite the fact that all of the other Carnies had headed to their tents.

'In.' Severus shoved Harry again, this time towards the entrance of their deep brown tent.

'Sir, I don't think...' Harry tried to explain about the lack of space and couldn't believe Severus hadn't noticed it.

He moved the flap aside and entered anyway, ducking his head so he didn't touch the ceiling. Only once he looked around did he notice how impossible such a thing actually was.

It was very simple, really, yet not what Harry had been expecting.

The walls were brown and the room plain, yet he saw a sofa in a nicely spaced living room, with two doors across from the entrance, and another further to the left.

'I love magic.' Harry smiled as he spoke in a soft, awe-inspired tone.

Severus brushed by Harry without a comment, though the boy caught the eye-rolling expression which clearly indicated what he thought of Harry's assumption that they would share a tiny Muggle tent.

The man headed for the second door of the pair and Harry took this as his cue to go to the one beside it. He opened the wooden door and was pleased with the single bed on the right with the headboard against the wall opposite where he stood. He also had a bedside table with a candle in a holder, a wardrobe across from the side of his bed, and a window with blue curtains.

Heading straight for the window, Harry pulled the blue material aside and smiled as he had a good enough view of the still-lit Ferris Wheel. The rest of the carnival was quite dark, though he thought he saw a few shadows moving down there so he quickly stepped away from the glass. Swallowing, yet not knowing if this was normal or not, Harry simply turned his attention to the bed. Sighing, he sat down and let the moment reach his awareness.

This was a new home, at least for the summer, and even with Severus likely on the other side of his wall...Harry didn't mind it.

'Brat!'

Harry's head jerked up as he looked to his door and spotted Severus crossing the living room. Wondering what was going on, he rose and peered through the doorway. He was amused, really, how Severus had found the loophole to not being able to call him “Potter”, as he'd said “brat” with just as much venom as the former.

'Yes, sir?' Harry asked.

He considered his own loophole to be not addressing the man at all, other than the usual “sir”, since the idea of calling his professor by his first name sent chills down his spine.

'Shower. Bed. Now.'

'You're not my father.' Harry frowned. 'And we're not at school.'

With a snarl, Severus advanced on the boy faster than Harry had to react. Grasping his shirt at the shoulder, he glared down at him and was satisfied when the defiant expression vanished.

'However, as it was so clearly stated, each child must reside in his or her tent with either an adult relative or guardian.' Severus sneered. 'Since I am blessed to bear no blood relation to you, Harry, therefore it would befall upon myself to be your guardian instead.'

He released the boy and pointed in the direction of the bathroom.

'Shower. Now.' He repeated.

'I'm going!' Harry said in frustration but looked around rather than obeyed. 'Wait, where's my stuff?' Panic filled him. 'M-my trunk and...and Hedwig's cage?'

'Your complete lack of thinking skills astounds even me, Mr-' Severus growled. 'Brat.' He finished and sighed. 'Your pockets.'

'My pockets?' Harry was baffled by that answer, even as he shoved his hands into his pockets and lifted out his miniature trunk and empty cage. 'Oh!' He remembered Severus shrinking them now, just before he had run off to have a look at the carnival.

It felt like so long ago that they'd shared a train ride together.

'What about your things, sir?' Harry turned his tiny trunk over in his hand. 'Er...'

With a blur of motion, Severus had whipped out his wand from his sleeve and tapped the trunk to re-size it before Harry had time to ask him how it was supposed to work. He did the same for the cage and ignored the boy's previous question.

Harry jumped away from the hand that reached for his back, no doubt to give him yet another annoying shove, and dragged his belongings into his room. Dumping them below the window, Harry dove through his trunk for his pyjamas. Clutching the blue and white striped material, he easily found everything else he needed before he was hurrying from the room and towards the bathroom for his shower.

Inside was a toilet, a shower/bath combination and a sink with a mirror. It was simple enough and Harry had little effort preparing for his shower as he simply closed the toilet and used it as a counter to put his clean clothes one so they didn't get wet. He spotted a basket in the corner presumably for dirty clothes. He removed his shirt and dumped it in there, staring as it vanished and he hoped the house-elves were involved.

Harry may hate anything from Dudley but those clothes were all he had. He glanced into the mirror and tried to flatten his hair by instinct, yet spotted the amulet around his neck and decided to take it off for his shower, so it didn't get wet. He gripped the black string and tried to lift it over his head, but it slipped from his hands as easy as soap on the bottom of a wet bathtub.

Frowning, Harry tried again but it was no use.

Huffing with annoyance, he no longer cared if it got wet and continued to prepare for his shower. Once undressed, he stepped inside and reached for the tap, only to miss the hot one in shock to the loud knocking at the door.

'AHH!' Harry shrieked as cold water poured over his head and down his back.

He jumped backwards and slipped on the floor as he had forgotten to put the blue bathmat down. He landed hard on his rear. It didn't hurt as much as it should with the tiles so he suspected magic was at work, yet it did not stop him from yelling out in pain.

'What the bloody hell are you doing?'

Harry paused, sore rear forgotten, as he turned to stare at the closed bathroom door. He had never heard Severus talk like that before. Not in the swearing sort of way. Surely the man had meant “What are you up to know, Potter?” or something like that?

'I was about to have a shower when you yelled at me!' Harry declared back as he stood and winced as he stared at the cold water still pouring away.

He had to go through it to get to the hot tap, so he inhaled once and dove into it, shuddering under the icy water as he blindly reached for the hot tap. Exhaling with relief when the water temperature changed, Harry waited for a response from Severus but he heard only the sound of running water and the other side of the door remained silent.

--

Once he was dried and dressed in his pyjamas, which fitted him much better than his other clothes as these ones had been given to him by Ron. His friend was taller than him, yet they fit comfortably enough.

Rubbing his hand over the mirror so he could see his reflection, Harry pressed his hair to his head again with little result, as always. Sighing, he removed his glasses and dried them, since he hadn't taken them off before the shower. He had been too distracted by his new surroundings and the fear that Severus would burst through the door while he was half-naked.

He did not deem a mere lock on a door to keep out his professor if the man became impatient enough.

Carefully stepping towards the door, Harry inched back and did not want to leave the safety of the room, despite the pain and cold it had caused him. He blamed all that on Severus, anyway.

'Are you quite finished, brat?'

'Er...no.' Harry replied.

Severus sounded really mad and Harry had no intention of crossing paths with the man. Maybe he could just huddle on the floor and wait until his professor went to bed? Surely it would be safe then? Of course, unless the man really was a vampire like Ron said and never had to sleep. A vampire didn't sound very safe either, so Harry did not want to risk it and pondered on positions he could sleep in on the bathroom floor.

'You are trying my patience!' Severus snapped from the other side of the door. He apparently had not moved an inch since he had brought about the cold water incident. Harry was not liking his chances at all.

At least the Dursleys just left him alone.

'If I leave the bathroom, will you promise not to touch me or yell?' Harry checked.

There was silence at first and Harry wasn't sure if he had spoken loudly enough. And when Severus spoke again, he was surprised to hear the softer and much more calm tone rely.

'Agreed.' Severus said. 'Now vacate the bathroom and go to bed.'

Harry gripped the doorknob carefully and yanked it open, prepared to make a run for it if he had to. Staring straight up at Severus' dark gaze, he winced and saw no obvious escape.

'You promised!' Harry accused, though Severus made no move to grab him and was yet to make a sound.

When the man stepped aside, with a suspicious expression on his face, Harry bolted to his bedroom and shut the door quickly. Exhaling with relief, he dove at his bed and squirmed beneath the covers.

Harry lay there, unmoving and gasping for breath, as he waited to find out why Severus had been so insistent on demanding him to hurry up with his shower and go to bed.

The silence was almost unnerving and soon he got bored.

Thinking he was safe for now, Harry released his death-grip on the hem of his white sheets and stared towards the window. He had left the curtain open and saw the sight of the twinkling stars in the sky to be rather soothing. He placed his glasses on the bedside table and sank back under his sheets, his emerald eyes closing slowly as the stars shifted from his view to his dreams.

Outside the room, Severus was able to have his own shower as that was all he had wanted to do.

Leaving the bathroom spotless and dry (especially after he hung up Harry's towel which the boy had left soaked, lying on the floor), Severus walked towards his door, but paused at the closed one of Harry's. He inched closer, pressing his ear to the wood to test for any sounds. Hearing none, Severus mutely turned the knob and peered into the room, making sure the boy had gone to bed as he had been told.

The child was fast asleep, typical.

Rolling his eyes, Severus shut the door and headed for his own room, which was set up identically to Harry's, though he spelled a few changes such as a larger bed and black curtains instead of blue. He preferred not to be kept awake by the glow of the moonlight as he tried to get some much-needed rest.

Lying on his back in his new, temporary bed, Severus stared upwards at the ceiling though his room was almost pitch black, letting in light only from the crack under his door and the small gaps of the curtains. As per his usual routine, Severus moved his wand and whispered the words, not wanting to wake the boy in the next room.

A silver doe shot from his wand and did a lap around the room before she vanish.

A pained smile on his face, Severus placed his wand securely under his pillow and closed his eyes. If he had realised it then, Severus would never have been able to sleep at all, yet this was the closest he had ever been to a Potter while letting his guard down just enough to rest his eyes and slumber.

-- 

While newcomers Harry and Severus fell asleep in their shared tent, over the slope and down towards the carnival, Carter walked along the roads and tapped his wand to several cages and pens. A horse, a zebra, an elephant and a tiger left their confines and began to wander around the carnival.

Carter looked towards the tents, which were mere tiny dots in the distance and frowned. He glanced at the tiger and turned to walk along the road leading back to the Carny area.

'Get to bed, girl!' Carter snapped at a child with straight black hair who couldn't be older than eleven.

She paused in her attempt to sneak into the main tent and glared at him.

'You're not the boss of me.'

'Ann, do as you're told or I will-'

'Okay!' Ann snapped in a tone more befitting a rebellious teenager. 'What are you doing, anyway?'

'That is none of your business.' Carter returned. 'Go to our tent and stay there.'

Poking her tongue at him, Ann turned and hurried off into the night.

Carter frowned in her general direction and looked around at the tents nearby. He seemed confused, yet did not move to investigate as he sighed and turned to enter the main tent, which should be vacant by now, given the time of night and the fact that everyone had gone to bed.

Down at the carnival, the tiger prowled towards the only real light source remaining in the entire space that was a part of the Carter Carnival. His golden eyes looked upwards at the Ferris Wheel, which previously had a lit-up sun design in the center. The orange light turned blue and the sun formed into a plain disc. Inside, in an unnatural ink darker than the night itself, the “Carter Mark” - of a crescent moon "C" and the star, formed onto the blue background.

While the Carnies slept peacefully in their tents on the low hill nearby, the carnival itself was never more awake. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Yeah, I updated early because I am writing ahead with this fic and thought you could have the next chapter to read sooner rather than later :) Also, if you can think of a better name for this chapter, please feel free to suggest it.

Please take a moment to submit a review, no mater how brief, as I really appreciate it.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2768