The Curse of Carter Carnival by watercrystals
Summary: After a chance encounter, Harry and Severus discover a carnival that promises to make all of their dreams come true.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hedwig, Original Character, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Kidnapped, Runaway
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Neglect, Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 45742 Read: 15834 Published: 28 Feb 2012 Updated: 08 Aug 2012
History and Lies by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Remember to refer to the map, when required.

Harry woke comfortably in his bed the following morning, with no recollection as to how he got there.

His bedroom door had been left open and he could see Severus standing near the door with a book he appeared to be reading. He was too far away for Harry to make out the cover, and as he propped himself up on his elbows, Severus looked at him yet did not utter a word as he snapped the book shut and walked to his own bedroom.

Harry had never really thought about it before, but Severus Snape was quite strange, really. Strange in the way he did things and strange in the manner he spoke. Yet even more strange with the way he treated Harry since they'd met hardly a day after the conclusion of school term, on the train going nowhere. That was the strangest part of all. Severus was no less grumpy nor demanding than Harry was reluctantly used to, yet the man wasn't as cruel or overly judgemental.

If anything, Harry would say that in comparison to how he was at Hogwarts, here at Carter Carnival, Severus was almost decent.

And the moment Harry thought those things, he expected Severus to burst into view and shout some nasty insult or similar if only to prove him wrong, yet mere uninterrupted silence followed.

Shaking his head at such silly notions, since he was clearly just tired from his long sleep, Harry slid off his bed and placed his glasses onto his face. They felt strange, which was something he'd never had occur to him ever since he'd first adjusted to wearing glasses, yet they were as weird as one carrying around an umbrella on a sunny day.

'We will be leaving in five minutes!' Severus called to the boy from an undetermined location of the tent, likely the man's own room.

Panicked, Harry quickly dressed and rushed to the bathroom to brush his teeth and use his new comb on his hair, which still worked to control it more decently than he had ever managed to achieve before. Satisfied, Harry put his shoes on and paused by the couch to wait for Severus.

The man appeared a few seconds later and the pair walked in silence to the main tent for breakfast.

-- 

Ryan was already there when Harry sat down.

Mina wasn't, which Harry wondered about because she had so far beaten him in his morning routines, such as breakfast and preparing for the day. As he ate his eggs, Harry looked over at a man who sat beside Ryan and across from Severus. Ryan ignored him, yet Severus seemed to know the other Carny, who had shadowed grey eyes and dark urban hair.

'You must be Harry.' He spoke to the boy after exchanging a brief greeting with Severus.

'Um, yes.' Harry said shyly. 'Who are you?'

'I'm Mac.' The Carny replied. 'Otherwise known as Stealth.'

Harry remembered Stealth's booth being closed the previous day when he'd had a walk around, and Carter had told Severus that Stealth was the one who would be guiding him for the first day, just as Ryan had for Harry.

'I saw your booth yesterday.' Harry said. 'It's nice to meet you.' He added, only to be polite as he still didn't know this Carny and his name was rather illusive, as it gave him few reasons to feel comfortable around the stranger.

'Don't let my Carny name fool you.' Mac said, as he sensed Harry's hesitation. 'If you have some free time, why don't you come by my booth and I'll show you what I can do?'

'Okay.' Harry nodded and glanced at Severus, wondering what he thought of the other man. As usual, he had no idea because his professor kept a blank, yet civil expression on his sallow face.

Still wondering where Mina was, Harry looked around the tent and spotted Pete, the stocky and greying man who managed to food carts across from the Ferris Wheel.

Sadness sank through Harry as he saw Pete glancing sideways at the others at his table, which he sat quite some distance from. They were conversing and laughing, yet he looked lonely and glanced away with shyness. Harry liked Pete, because he'd only looked a bit mean yet once he talked to him and asked for the hotdogs, the man was really nice.

Frowning, Harry acted without thinking and left his seat. Dodging Severus, Harry walked around his table and crossed the room to where Pete sat, nibbling on a piece of toast.

'Hello, Pete.' Harry gave the man the warmest and most friendly smile he could manage.

He paused and looked over his shoulder to see Ryan get up and leave, vacating the seat across from where Harry sat.

'Hello there, Harry. What are you doing over here?' Pete smiled back with surprise yet gratitude.

The others had his table continued to ignore him, which only made Harry further determined to include the man.

'I was wondering if you would like to sit with me.' Harry said bravely, though he felt anxious about the reply. 'You don't look very happy here and I'd like it if you sat with us. We only have a few people at our table.' Harry fidgeted.

Pete's expression softened further when he heard Harry's invitation, yet he glanced over towards where Severus was talking to Mac (even so, his obsidian gaze constantly lingered on Harry, wondering what the brat was up to), and appeared hesitant.

'They won't mind.' Harry guessed why Pete seemed unsure. 'Please?'

'Thank you, Harry.' Pete smiled fondly as he rose from his chair and grabbed his last piece of buttered toast to take with him as well as his goblet filled with milk.

'That's okay!' Harry grinned. 'Come on, over here.' He led the way to the table and sat down, pointing to the seat across from him. 'You can sit there. Mina sits next to me, but I don't know where she is.' He frowned and looked around again, starting to get a bit worried about her.

Pete said nothing as he sat in the seat Ryan had used earlier. He placed his toast on the plate that had just appeared in front of him, and set his goblet across from it. He was heartened by Harry's kindness, yet still shy and therefore only glanced once at Mac then Severus before he finished his toast.

Harry looked expectantly at the other two, but frowned when they seemed to ignore Pete as well. In a moment of irritated daring, he aimed a nudge with his foot towards Severus, who tensed instantly and glared down at the boy.

'This is Pete.' Harry told Severus. 'He manages the food carts near the Ferris Wheel. I met him yesterday and he makes the best hotdogs ever.'

Severus glanced at Harry's determined emerald gaze and shifted his attention to the man who had joined them. Noticing the reserved and shy posture of the stocky Carny, he sighed and nodded in greeting.

'It appears as though the boy has taken a great interest in gaining your friendship.' Severus commented. 'Severus.' He introduced himself and raised his hand across the table for the man to shake, ignoring the pleased giddiness the child beside him was displaying.

'Pleased to meet you, Severus.' The older man grunted and shook the offered hand. 'Harry's a good kid. I would be honoured to be his friend.'

'Really?' Harry asked. 'Thanks, Pete.'

'Pardon my lack of introductions.' Mac added when Harry set his firm gaze onto him. 'Pete and I are already acquainted.' He said. 'If you would excuse me, I have much to do before opening.' Mac rose from his seat and offered everyone a brief farewell before he turned and left the tent.

Silence fell over the table as Pete sipped his milk, Severus finished his cereal and Harry leaned on his knees to see higher over the heads of the others who were preparing to leave the tent.

Severus caught the boy's concern and knew who he was worried about, though honestly, he didn't comment because Severus was also curious regarding the whereabouts of Mina.

'I don't know what I'm supposed to do today.' Harry said as he was pulled back against his seat by Severus. 'Ryan already left and I think he said something about me helping with chores for others. I don't know.'

'It's your second day here, isn't it?' Pete replied.

'Yeah.' Harry nodded. 'What are you doing, sir?' He asked Severus.

'I remain solely responsible for the management of this carnival.' Severus frowned. 'My duties for each passing day scarcely differ from the last.'

'You could help me.' Pete offered. 'Breakfast is nearly over and no one has given you a task. This usually means you're free to wander and ask around to see if anyone needs assistance.'

'Can I?' Harry said eagerly. 'I like cooking. My aunt used to make me do it all the time. You don't have a stove, though.'

'It's easy enough to learn.' Pete stood. 'Would you like to join me?'

'Yes!' Harry jumped off his seat and turned to follow his new friend, yet paused and glanced over at Severus. 'If you see Mina, will you please tell her where I am?'

'I shall.' Severus nodded reluctantly, if only because he doubted he'd come across the woman at all, given his isolated tasks at a different section of the carnival.

He watched the boy hurry after Pete and sighed, rising from his own seat and glancing around for Carter. The man was nowhere in sight either, in fact...that entire table had remained empty for the duration of the morning meal. He may not have been a temporary resident for long, yet Severus was aware that something wasn't right, or at least that other incidences were taking place in which others knew so little of.


Harry's morning with Pete was much more entertaining than the previous one he had spent with Ryan.

He crossed the path at lunch time to give Ryan his meal and chatted with the teenager for a short while, before he went back to Pete. Harry had learned a lot in several hours, such as how to make a variety of food for the customers and Pete was right about it being easy enough to learn, with a little aide of magic.

By afternoon, clouds had covered the sun from view and cast a darkness about the carnival, though it never rained. The lights of the Ferris Wheel gripped Harry's gaze more than it had the entire morning.

From Ryan's booth, he had not been able to see the huge ride or even Baxer, as the tiger slept in his cage. From Pete's carts, Harry had a much more delightful view of both, which enabled him to extract a large amount of disinterest from the passing time.

Whenever Pete caught him eyeing the Ferris Wheel, Harry brushed it off, until the Carny could keep his silence no longer.

'You can have a closer look, if you want to.' Pete said. 'You're not bound here, Harry.'

'Who maintains the Ferris Wheel?' Harry wondered. 'Or any of the rides? I never see anyone there.'

'That's the big secret.' Pete lowered his tone as two girls passed by the cart. 'The carnival maintains itself.' He nodded. 'They say the Ferris Wheel was the first ride. The heart of this entire place.'

'Really?' Harry was captured by the tale. 'How long ago was that? Were you here?' He thought Pete seemed old enough, though he had no idea if the carnival was new or not.

'No, not me.' Pete chuckled. 'The Carter Carnival was first created by Carvae Carter, who built the Ferris Wheel entirely out of magic.' He recalled. 'That was a couple hundred years ago now. The Carnies were literally family back then - blood-related, I mean.'

'So, Carter...he has the same name? Wow, he must have like a great-great grandfather from then or something, right?' Harry assumed.

'No.' Pete looked away, hiding his frown of dislike. 'He renamed himself when he became King.'

'Why?' Harry frowned. 'Is he really a king?'

'The King or Queen is what we call our leader.' Pete sighed as he explained. 'I do not know what his name was before. I don't remember.'

'You don't remember?' Harry was confused. 'How long ago was it?'

Pete did not answer.

Instead he looked around between a gap hat led diagonally towards the back of a building. Harry shivered to realise that the shape at the top fitted the clown from the House of Mirrors. Pete said nothing, yet Harry was beginning to notice a pattern in which the Carnies seemed to forget certain details of their lives.

Why did Pete look towards the House of Mirrors when he hadn't answered Harry? Was that place to blame or...perhaps it's Carny was. Who exactly was Maude and why did everyone call him “Dreamless” as his Carny name?

'Go have a look at the Ferris Wheel.' Pete distracted him. 'And give poor Baxer this sausage.' He held out the raw piece of meat, which Harry reluctantly accepted and glanced towards the tiger.

The golden eyes fixated on Harry as though Baxer knew he was being spoken of with the promise of a treat.

Not wanting to hold the squishy piece of raw food for long, Harry cautiously approached the tiger's cage. He flinched when Baxer instantly stood and moved closer to the bars of the cage. Holding out the sausage with two fingers, Harry stretched his shaking arm towards the bars so it was just in reach of the creature much larger and dangerous than himself. Baxer paid him no attention as the tiger snatched the offered food and gulped it down whole.

When Baxer released a loud roar, Harry turned and fled from the cage with an undignified yelp, heading right over to the Ferris Wheel in one breath.

Ignoring the shared chuckles from Ryan and Pete, Harry stepped closer to the Ferris Wheel, which was motionless for the moment. Looking so high upwards he had to tilt his head back as far as his neck would allow, Harry imagined how wonderful it would be to ride it, which was surely more comfortable than being on a broomstick in mid-air during a game of Quidditch.

Pete had said it was the heart of the carnival and the very first ride, yet Harry thought it looked newer and much more cared for than the others rides, even if they were all in good condition and remained impressive. Except the House of Mirrors, of course, with its peeling paint and non-ride capabilities that made Harry wonder why it was left to visibly age, unless no one dared to go near it and Maude simply didn't care for its state.

Turning, Harry glanced over at the violet tent belonging to Lady Swan.

The tent wasn't closed, as he had expected, and therefore he hurried to its side and peeked within. Mina was seated in her usual gown and appeared to be writing on a piece of parchment with a large peacock quill.

Harry, remembering Pete just in time, hurried back to the food carts and requested permission to see if Mina was okay. Pete said it was fine and gave him a hearty wave as Harry rushed back to Lady Swan's tent.

In his hurry and worry, he tripped on the hem of his over-sized pants and slipped, sliding across the marble-tiled floor of the tent. Yelling out from surprise more than pain, Harry tried to stop himself but was unable to until he crashed hands-first against Mina's counter.

'Harry!' She jumped up and approached him as he sat there, feeling dizzy and confused. 'What are you doing?' Mina asked as she helped him to his feet.

'Are you okay?' Harry glanced her over, yet she seemed fine and as she always did. 'You weren't at breakfast and I was worried.'

'Oh, child.' Mina exhaled and pulled him into an embrace, which startled him and yet he did not pull away. 'Harry, I'm sorry I made you worry. I would have told you if I'd known it would cause you stress. I came here sooner because I wanted a moment to myself. I ate earlier than the rest, which is why you did not see me. Were you really worried about me all this time?'

'Yes.' Harry blushed as he stepped back. 'I'm sorry.'

'No, it's not your fault.' Mina smiled as she brushed some of his hair from his face. 'I'll remember next time.' She added, which was becoming a bit of an in-joke with them, since Harry was always forgetting rules and facts yet everyone continued to tell him that he was learning and would know better the next incident regarding such.

'Now, tell me what you have been doing today.' Mina said as she gently led Harry to her seat and sat beside him. 'It's your second day, so you've been helping others, yes?'

'I was helping Pete with the food carts.' Harry told her, feeling his worry and anxiety fade rather quickly as he smiled at her. 'And I fed Baxer a raw sausage just now, before I saw that you're here.' He wished he'd thought to check her tent earlier. 'And Pete told me a bit about the carnival, like how the Ferris Wheel is its heart and the first ride...is that true?'

'Yes.' Mina nodded. 'The Space Flier is the newest. Before there used to be a Merry-Go-Round which was considered the brain of the carnival. It was a place of peace and freedom, where Carnies and guests alike could ride or sit near and they'd always feel clear-minded and calm afterwards.'

'What happened?' Harry asked. 'Where did it go?'

'No one knows.' Mina glanced at her folded parchment, which looked like a letter yet she had no envelope or wax seal on the counter in front of them. 'It just...fell apart. Three days after Dreamless created his booth, which is the Hall of Mirrors. I was told the two attractions conflicted, and therefore the Merry-Go-Round collapsed from the strain of colliding magic. The Space Flier was added a year later.'

'You were here when it happened?' Harry wondered, since she knew so much about it.

'Yes.' Mina answered with a troubled expression as she glanced at the water-decorated walls, which were filled with swimming fish as usual.

'It happened the day Carter became King.'

'How does one become King?' Harry was thirsty for more information the Carnies seemed so willing to give.

'She chooses.' Mina looked towards the flap to her tent, in which a small part of the Ferris Wheel was seen. 'The carnival. It's so filled with magic that most consider it alive. Have you noticed the lights are always on?'

'Yes.' Harry nodded. 'Everything else goes off, but not the Ferris Wheel. I can see it from my bedroom.'

'You have a very good view.' Mina smiled. 'Enough of these stories. It is all history now, and from so long ago.' She brushed her hand over the back of his head. 'You're very kind to check up on me, Harry. You're a good boy. However, I believe if you are helping Pete then he likely needs it. He is a very gentle soul, yet so shy and many judge him too soon.'

'I know.' Harry said. 'He looks mean and a bit scary at first, like my friend Hagrid did. They're both much nicer if you just give them a chance.'

'Who is Hagrid?' Mina wondered.

'He works at Hogwarts. He's a half-giant.' Harry grinned at the memory. 'He told me I was a wiz-'

Mina covered his mouth quickly, yet carefully, with her hand as a father and young daughter stepped into the tent, looking around with awe.

'Sorry.' Harry realised. 'He told me what I am.' He rephrased and tried to remember they were surrounded by muggles. 'He bought me Hedwig and gave me my ticket. He's not very good at cooking, though.'

'Hagrid sounds very nice.' Mina said. 'Hedwig is your pet?'

'Yes, an owl. She...' Harry paused. 'I let her out of her cage before I came here!' He jumped up. 'But I haven't seen her. Can she find me? What...what if she can't?'

'Shhh, calm down.' Mina comforted him as he sank back onto the seat.

She pulled him onto her lap with ease and rubbed his back with her hand, watching their company in case she had to entertain them. They looked around and soon left again, without much interest in what she may have to show them.

'We can find your owl, don't worry.' Mina promised. 'I will inform the right people to look out for her, okay?'

'Thank you, Mina.' Harry leaned against her shoulder. 'I hope she's okay.'

'Hedwig will be fine.' Mina nodded and pressed her cheek to his forehead, hugging him protectively in a way a mother would their child. 'Now go along, you need to help Pete today. I will see you at dinner.'

'You will?' Harry turned to look at her hopefully. 'You promise?'

'My word is my promise.' Mina said as he climbed off her lap and stood beside her. 'And I never break my word. Go on, child.'

'Thanks, Mina.' Harry smiled as he gave her a wave and slowly left the tent.

He re-joined Pete, but was quiet as he thought about his owl and the things he had learned about the carnival in that one afternoon. Pete gave him his space for an hour, before the pair resumed their co-operation of maintaining the food cart to serve the busy crowd.

-- 

 

With a few hours until the carnival closed for the day, Harry was sitting at a table under a large red umbrella that was a few feet from where Pete was making some hamburgers for a group of Carnies who had come over for something to eat. Harry didn't know any of them so he wasn't as interested, as he shuffled his card deck in his hand and felt much more comfortable with sitting around for period of time without feeling dreadfully bored.

'There 'e is!' An Irish voice called out once he had received his hamburger from Pete. He had been talking to a blonde lady in typical cowgirl clothes (pair of blue jeans, plaid red shirt and a purple-blue wide-brim hat).

Harry looked over at them and recognised both. The Irish man had short brown hair streaked with red and wore a dark blue shirt with hardly any sleeves, with a pair of black pants. He was Wildfire, the Carny at the red/orange booth further towards the carnival entrance. Harry recalled pausing to see his show of flaming hands the previous day.

The lady he hadn't gotten a good look at yesterday, though she was notably the one who had been sitting on the fence of the paddock with the zebra and horse. She looked nice, yet not as pretty as Mina.

'How's it goin' kid?' Wildfire asked, though Harry wasn't sure of his actual name because they'd never met in person until now.

'Hi.' Harry pocketed his cards as he stood and shook the offered hand of the other Carny.

'Harry, right?' The lady asked. 'I'm Rose.'

'Yeah.' The boy nodded. 'I saw you with the horses yesterday.' Told her while glancing at Wildfire. 'And I think your fire's really cool. Doesn't it hurt?'

'Not at all.' Wildfire smirked and glanced at Rose, who seemed surprised that Harry had even noticed her. 'I thought it'd only be fair, comin' to say hello. I met that Severus chap yesterday. Got a bit of temper on him, eh?'

'Yeah, that's him.' Harry cracked a smile.

'You both found the carnival together.' Rose added with interest before she took a bite from her own hamburger. 'How do you know each other?'

'They share a tent, Rosey.' Wildfire told her with a sigh. 'They're probably related, eh?' He looked back at Harry. 'Is he your father? You're lucky lad, having your dad with you here.'

'Oh no, he's...' Harry hesitated and looked over at Pete, who was distracted with customers and likely couldn't hear him or the other two Carnies.

He didn't like having Severus here, because his professor wasn't the nicest person to be around or live with, yet he could see how others may think they were related, considering the situation. Plus they both had dark hair and always sat together at meals, as well as sharing their tent as a relative or guardian had to by Carny law. The orphaned boy really enjoyed being part of the carnival and the life it had to offer him, and a part of him thought it would be nice to pretend away the one part that pulled him into memories of his old life: a teacher he despised mutually.

How would things be if he erased that fact?

'He doesn't like to admit it because it's still kinda new, but yeah...' Harry lied. 'He's my dad.'

The moment he'd said it, Harry regretted it. Yet he felt that to take it back would just make him look stupid, so he kept his silence as the other two nodded and seemed impressed.

When Wildfire and Rose left in opposite directions, no doubt heading back to their assigned spaces, Harry ducked his head with shame. Not able to look at Pete either, Harry got out his deck of cards and continued to waste time away as he shuffled and played with them.

 


 

At eight that night, hardly seconds after the last guest had left the carnival, Harry paused in his task of assisting Pete with the clean up for the carts for the day, when he noticed a group of Carnies gathering outside Lady Swan's tent.

'What's going on?' He looked up at Pete, but the man had begun to approach and find out for himself.

'Do not take that tone with me!'

Harry gasped when he heard Mina yelling, which was a much more fearsome sound than he'd have imagined from her.

Three others started arguing and Ryan tried to urge them away from Baxer's cage, as the tiger was looking very agitated by the quarrel. The group moved closer to the Ferris Wheel as Harry watched, frozen to his post behind the carts, and was unable to work out what was going on or if this was normal.

To his surprise, he saw Carter emerge to try and calm everyone down, but Mina would not allow it.

'I can handle this, King.' She frowned at him.

'I don't care.' Carter growled at her. 'This ends now. Fighting amongst ourselves is not allowed.'

'We're not fighting!' One man shouted, yet looked fearful when Carter turned to glare at him.

'What's going on 'ere?' Wildfire stepped towards them. The look on his face confirmed to Harry that this was not normal behaviour and the fighting was something to worry about.

His eyes shifting from Pete to Ryan, Harry felt more anxious about Mina and moved closer in case he had to do something, though he had no idea what.

'You lied, King.' A tall Carny with bronze hair stated. 'You said they were gone. You promised we were safe again. And then, you change plans without telling us?'

'What did you do, King?' Mina glared at Carter. 'What's so damn important?'

'Shut up!' Carter yelled to silence the group, which had grown from a few people to nearly ten. 'You will trust me and do as you're told. What I do is for all of us!'

'Mina!' Harry was a bit scared now, since everyone looked so angry and he worried that she was going to get hurt.

Pushing his way through the crowd, he tried to reach her but got shoved around until he was mere feet from the Ferris Wheel. Harry realised he was cornered and everyone had started pushing, until someone set off a spell that felt like a strong wind, which flung him backwards off his feet.

'Ahh!' Harry yelled in pain as his back hit the Ferris Wheel very hard, sending an ache through his entire form. 

His glasses slipped off his face from the impact and he slid to the ground, crouching there in pain and shock. He felt Mina's hands on his shoulder, but Harry did not look up as he hurt too much.

The Carnies had gone silent as they listened to Carter shouting about breaking the rule of not hurting their own family. Harry's vision blurred and spun as a hot sensation slithered up his spine and across his face. Dizzy and with stinging eyes, Harry slumped sideways against Mina's shoulder as she picked him up. He didn't know where she as taking him, but the noise faded and soon he was resting against the familiar softness of his own bed, or at least the new one he had become accustomed to during his stay at the carnival.

'Shh, you'll be okay.' Mina brushed his hair with her hand, being very gentle and caring.

She had not taken him to the Medical Wing in the main tent because she had an idea of what had happened. She remained at his side until Harry had fallen asleep. Looking around the darkening tent, Mina raised her wand to light a few candles and considered her options.

With a sigh, she waved her light hazel wand and a swan Patronus bust from the tip. It flew around once and then disappeared through the wall to deliver her message to Severus, informing him of what had happened.

-- 

Severus marched into the tent twenty minutes later and looked livid.

Mina was sitting beside Harry's bed in a conjured armchair, where she watched Severus spell a few diagnostics while he muttered incoherently about the boy's ability to find trouble.

'You're our new management.' Mina rose from the chair once he was finished. Her words had not been a question as she stepped closer to him and watched his reaction, noting how guarded he was. 'Surely you'd have heard what happened?'

'Yes.' Severus frowned. 'The boy ought not to become involved in matters that do not concern him. Though, I am not surprised by his latest stunt.'

'How much do you know?' Mina lowered her voice cautiously and ignored his comments about Harry.

Severus paused and looked over at her, realising that her eyes were closer to being levelled with his own than he had assumed. Her sapphire eyes showed determination and almost desperation to know something she believed he may be aware of.

'I cannot assist you.' Severus replied in a soft, calculating tone. 'It is not within my power to do so.'

Mina swallowed and looked away, seeming hurt by his words if only because it furthered her struggle.

'He was lying, wasn't he?' She stared at Severus again, right at him in the piercing way that only she seemed daring enough to, which quite unnerved him. 'Carter. I know you're skilled, Severus. I can tell. You know when someone is lying. Tell me what you saw in Carter, please?'

Severus narrowed his eyes at the strange woman in front of him, who had taken his focus from the slumbering child to his left, if only for the moment. He considered her question and recalled his recent observations, pondering on what he should say or if it was something that should be said at all.

'Carter cannot be trusted.' Severus said. 'I shall never place my faith on such a man. And you need not hear this from me. You already know such facts; therefore, I do wonder why you feel the need to require my reassurance.'

'I need to know I'm not the only one who sees it.' Mina whispered, looking relieved and much calmer now that he agreed with her. 'The others...they blindly follow him. Ryan sees it, I think...maybe Pete and a few others as well. I know Ann does. She hated him from day one, though with that girl I cannot be sure...she hates everyone.'

'Ow.' Harry grumbled from the bed, startling the two adults as they turned to look down at him. Pushing himself onto his elbows, Harry opened his eyes and looked over, surprised to see Mina and Severus there, yet even more so with how clear they were.

Clarity was the clue.

He looked sideways to his bedside table where his glasses sat folded and unused. Harry then marvelled in the folds of his sheets, the reflections on his window, the bright blue of Mina's eyes, the buttons of Severus' clothes, his own fingernails, and the opened door nearby.

'Are you experiencing delusions, Harry?' Severus snapped at the boy's giddy expression as the child stared at everything as though he had never used his eyes before.

'I can see!' Harry exclaimed. 'Without my glasses. I can see everything so clearly!'

'I guessed you would.' Mina smiled. 'When you hit the front of the Ferris Wheel, your eyes turned pure white and you nearly passed out. The carnival healed you.'

'That is not possible.' Severus growled.

'The heart!' Harry declared. 'The Ferris Wheel is the heart, right? It was the first ride and so all the magic started with it. That's why you think the carnival is alive, because it has its own magic...and now, it healed me? Why me?'

'I do not know.' Mina said, looking confused while Severus gripped his wand and stalked out of the bedroom. 'For some reason, the carnival has chosen to heal you, Harry. It is most strange, especially considering you're not branded.'

'I want to stay here forever.' Harry said. 'I don't ever want to leave.'

Mina smiled sadly as she watched the boy jump from his bed and run to the bathroom, no doubt to stare at his reflection for hours and further grinning over his regained sight. She lowered her gaze and looked towards Harry's window, seeing the form of the Ferris Wheel in the distance.

'You're wrong, Harry.' Mina uttered almost mutely. 'You never get the choice to stay or go, no one does...yet, forever we shall remain.'

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please take a moment to send a review to share your thoughts on this chapter. I'd love to hear any comments you have about what has happened so far, what you think of the characters, and so on.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2768