Family Counts by garfield090684
Summary: Harry and Ron take the flying car to Hogwarts for their second year of school to encounter an angry Snape and shortly after an unimpressed Molly Weasley. With petrified students occuring having to encounter giant spiders and a basilisk can things get worse? Snape discovers he is Harrys dad how does he take to this news and what about Harry? Watch for a few new romantic couples. Harry/Ron and Ginny/Hermione
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Horror, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Romance/Slash
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 37246 Read: 90110 Published: 06 Apr 2012 Updated: 13 Apr 2012
Slytherin Vs Gryffindor! by garfield090684
Author's Notes:
I have used some words from the movie (as well as one scene) please go easy on me it's my first ever fanfiction!

“Harry, Harry, Harry,” Gilderoy Lockheart stated, “can you imagine a better way to serve detention than by helping me answer my fan mail? I’m sure that when you are my age lots of people will dote on you. You’d love it.”

“Yeah...sure,” Harry said, Lockheart smiled at him.

“But remember this Harry, Fame is a fickle friend, celebrity is as celebrity does...” Harry stopped listening at this point as he heard the strange voice again.

COME TO ME! COME TO ME! LET ME RIP YOU! LET ME KILL YOU!

“Can you hear that voice?” Harry asked.

“Voice? I think you must be getting a little drowsy, and no wonder look at the time its nearly 12.30!..funny how time flies when your having fun. Well off to bed with you!”

Harry followed the voice.

TIME TO KILL!

The strange behaviour of the spiders was something that stopped him short, seeing them all escaping out the window together.

“A bit strange isn’t it? A voice appears, one that only you can hear, and then Mrs Norris turns up petrified!” Hermione stated as she was leaving with Ginny and Harry and Ron to go back to the common rooms. Ron had convinced Hermione to come out and get Harry since it was so late at night and of course Ginny had insisted on coming. Harry thought that it was getting to the point that Hermione and Ginny were hardly ever separate. When they were..it seemed they were often fighting.

“Harry,” Snape’s voice came from out of nowhere, “might I have word?”

Snape felt his heart hammering when he saw the petrified cat and Harry standing just under it. It would have taken very dark magic from a very intelligent wizard or even a basilisk to cause such a perfect petrification. But he wasn’t capable of doing that kind of magic was he? Harry couldn’t believe his ears, Snape calling him Harry?

“Potter, I do not remember seeing you at dinner,” Snape stated firmly.

“I’m afraid that was my doing professor. You see young Harry here was helping me to answer my fan mail but it is much to late to be getting into any of that now. Off to bed all of you!” Lockheart stated in a cheerful manner as if to offer the students a lollypop.

Snape sneered at Lockheart and stepped back allowing Harry to pass by him. There was no way that he could possibly ask any more from Harry tonight, not without openly admitting to his relationship with him which Snape was simply not ready to do at this time. Not until he got those answers and that would not be for a few days yet.

Saturday morning was quidditch. Gryffindor vs Slytherin and Harry and the Gryffindor team had been working hard towards that game.

“Now the Slytherin team are always dirty players,” Wood stated giving his usual captains speech encouragement, “but I believe that if we all stick together as a team we shall succeed. We have the team spirit and the co-operation which Slytherin doesn’t, so let’s use it to our best advantage!”

Everybody mounted their brooms and were zooming up with Lee Jordan’s announcements. “And here comes the Slytherin team, it seems that they have decided to go for brawn over brains this year,”

“Jordan do not speak that way or you will not be announcer for these games,” McGonigall stated.

“Sorry professor,”

“And here is Madam Hooch to begin the game!” Lee announced. Madam Hooch released the snitch, bludgers and the quaffle. One bludger went directly to Harry. He ducked but the bludger simply turned around and went after him again! Fred noticed this so he used his club and belted that bludger as hard as he could. The bludger went about 30 centimeters away before turning and going back to Harry as if magnetised towards him.

Snape was sitting in the stands with a mess of emotions. On the one side he wanted his house team to win, as head of Slytherin it was him he was often blunt of Minerva McGonigals jokes when Gryffindor beat Slytherin on the quidditch field. Most of the other teachers wisely stayed out of their little wagers. Snape was sure that Gryffindors, all Gryffindors were arrogant and stubborn, McGonigal believed that Slytherins didn’t play fairly by the rules, they were vicious on the field and always sly and sneaky. Of course, McGonigal believed that some Slytherins could be excepted from the general rules, those that worked hard to achieve their best in classes and came from families who were always encouraging the school syllabus. Snape, believed that all Gryffindor’s had this behaviour in them. Which was only encouraged when Lily left him for James. But then his son...his son? That is going to take some getting used to. His son was in Gryffindor too and he was a damn good quidditch player. In fact he was....he was running away from a bludger. Snape saw it in the sky chasing after him.

“Draco of course is top of the class in Transfigeration, and he has been working all summer on his quidditch Severus. You have no need to worry, he will bring home the cup for us this year. I am so proud of him. That’s why I bought the whole team new nimbus 2001. Can you believe that Miles Bitcheley was riding on a chasm 500? Imagine trying to defend the posts with a keeper on an old broom like that!! No, no that won’t do. Oh I am so proud of my son! Draco is such a good boy!” Lucius Malfoy’s gloating was starting to get on Snape’s nerves. But he wouldn’t dare speak a word to him. After all he was in the Death Eater 10. Voldemort’s closest cronies, which Snape still cringed to think that he was a part of. But it was only by being close to Voldemort and those in his inner circles that he would ever be able to help Dumbledore achieve his goals and ensure that the wizarding world would never be enslaved by Voldemort’s medieval beliefs. Snape flinched as he saw the bludger go very close to Harry’s left shoulder. “Be careful out there!” he said looking at Harry.

“Oh don’t worry Severus,” Lucius said, “Draco is always a careful flyer. But quite talented as well we have no reason to worry. The game is already ours the minute he walked onto the pitch.

“Look at Harry!” Ginny said looking at the sky, “I think there’s something wrong with his broom!”

“I’ll stop it!” Ron said taking out his wand.

“No!” Hermione said putting her hand in front of Ron’s wand, “it’s too dangerous! You could hit Harry!”

Well at least the girl seems to have some brains where it counts, Severus thought as he looked again at his son. If there was a simple way to stop the bludger doesn’t she think that I would have used it already?

Meanwhile, Harry was doing what he could to try to avoid the bludger. Fred and George had decided that they would be his personal beaters in order to keep the bludger away from them giving the Slytherin team clear access to all of the other players. Due to this Angelina had already almost fallen off her broom causing her to lose the quaffle twice, Katie had to make a tremendous stop midair to avoid getting hit and missed the ball, it being caught by Marcus Flint, who was becoming especially arrogant as Slytherin were flying ahead by 50 points!!

Wood put up his hand and Madam Hooch called for time out. Both the Slytherin and Gryffindor team went to opposite sides of the pitch to talk about the best game plan for the rest of the game.

“What are we going to do about this rogue bludger?” Wood asked the team.

Angelina and Katie shrugged. Fred and George spoke up stating “we are doing our best to keep it away from him but it just keeps coming back Wood!” Fred hit the bludger again which was hurtling towards Harry at a magnificent speed.

“Yeah but by defending Harry you are both leaving the rest of the team as open targets! It’s a surprise that the Slytherins haven’t knocked me off my broom the way they did last year!” Wood exclaimed.

“Well we can’t leave Harry as an open target either!” George retaliated.

“No,” Wood ran his fingers through his hair, “No, but maybe just one of you should guard him and then...”

“Can I suggest something?” Harry said moving his broom out of the way of the bludger, “after all it is my safety that everyone is discussing!”

“Sure Harry, what?” Wood asked concerned.

“Go and defend the team, that is your job. If Voldemort or,” Harry ran his fingers through his own hair, “somebody, wishes to try to harm me in such a way then let them try. I can dodge out of the way and if I need help I’ll call.” Harry said this even though he had no intentions on calling no matter how bad the bludger got. This was his team, the reason why he was so admired in his first year was his great flying and no body, not even Voldemort himself was going to stop him from playing the best damn game he could! Besides if he could live through falling off his broom in first year he could live through this!

It did take some insistence from Harry that he could in fact manage the bludger but soon they were back in the game and Harry was doing what could only be described as the best air aerobics since the early 1700s to avoid the bludger whilst watching the game. His plan was to simply wait until Gryffindor was 20 points above Slytherin before finding the snitch. That would give them the ability to let Slytherin score just once before he got the snitch and still win.

“And another score to Gryffindor come on only one more to go and you shall tie with Slytherin, two and you shall be ahead of the lousy sneaky sons of....”

“JORDAN!!”

“sorry Professor!”

Harry giggled as he dodged another attempt from that lousy bludger.

“Don’t look so worried Severus I’m sure that Draco will make sure that Slytherin wins the game!” Lucius chuckled.

Oh how Snape wished that he could knock that stupid hat off that idiots head and make him realise..that’s his son up there...and he was being chased by a rogue bludger!! He had never seen a game like this before. But he couldn’t let Malfoy know that Harry meant that much to him or it could be putting him into jeopardy. Him and his son. He could only imagine how Voldemort would react if he knew that the golden boy of the wizarding world, the one to bring him down, was Severus’ own son! It was a secret that the dark lord must never know. He swore to himself that if Harry was ever in his custody he didn’t care how much he had to move he would not allow that idiot to know that Harry was his. His precious son.

“And Griffindor tie with Slytherin!” Harry practically jumped when he heard the news from the broadcaster. He swore one more point and...but Draco had moved he had obviously seen the snitch..and there it was..merely a few inches in front of his elbow.  Harry zoomed into Draco’s direction “what the...” Draco said dodging out of Harry’s way when he realised why he had gone in Draco’s direction.

“Watch this Severus, watch he’s going to get it!!! That idiot Potter doesn’t stand a chance!” Lucius stated.

Snape wondered if maybe it was Lucius who had sent the bludger that was trying to harm Harry..if he did he’d...well actually he didn’t know what he’d do. Just that it would involve a great deal of pain for Malfoy...that blithering idiot who thinks he and his son are such big hot shots. The bell of Voldemort’s eye, or so they think.

So Harry was chasing after the snitch with Draco close behind and the bludger behind him. In an effort to get to Harry the bludger went past Draco’s shoulder and went past the front of his broomstick. For those few minutes Draco was put off balance and found himself falling down at a rapid pace. Lucius watched his precious son with dismay. Obviously he had not been as ready for quidditch as he thought. Luckily Snape was more interested in what was happening with Harry to care about the fact that Draco had fallen. He seemed to be ok and that’s all that worried him. He had become rather attached to the boy as he was his godson, but he had the unfortunate knowledge that Draco’s raising was that of being groomed by both his mother and father to become a death eater, as was Crabbe and Goyle his two friends. He had little chance to convert him and make him the fine outstanding citizen that he could be.

Snape watched as Harry continued with his amazing broomstick aerobics whilst he chased the snitch. Harry reached and as his hand clasped the snitch there was an announcement.

“And another point two Gryffindor, who lead Slytherin 90 to 70.”

Harry smiled as he clasped over the snitch only to have his arm belted by the bludger and he collapsed onto the grass his broomstick landing nearby.

Snape  stood to his feet and starting running across the quidditch pitch. At this point he didn’t care who knew that he cared for Harry all he cared about was getting to him and quickly to ensure that no further harm came to him. As he approached Harry he heard a voice.

“Don’t worry Harry, I shall fix that arm of yours right away!” Gilderoy Lockheart said who was first to his side.

“No, not you.” Harry said. Wise boy! Thought Snape.

“He doesn’t know what he’s saying. Bracium Imendo!” Lockheart pointed his wand at Harry’s arms and his bones disappeared! Leaving him with a floppy arm.

Snape was next to his side.  “You idiot Lockheart!” acting on pure instinct he scooped Harry up into his arms and headed for the hospital wing. The students were shocked and the news of this event passed through Hogwarts like a steamtrain. Rolling to a stop when headmaster Dumbledore made an announcement at dinner that just because a teacher takes concern for a student, any student, is no reason to start spreading rumours about him. After all the idea of Harry being Severus’s lover was a completely daft idea. No teacher would betray confidences in such a way no matter who it was!

“Oh Mr Malfoy stop making such a fuss. Out of my way! He should have brought straight to me. I can mend bones in a heart beat but growing them back! You are in for a rough night Potter, regrowing bones is a nasty business.” Madam Pomfrey said as she rushed to Harry’s side.

Harry tries tasting the potion and spits it across the side of the room its so revolting. The nurse simply puts more in.

“What did you expect pumpkin juice? Now drink it down and let your body mend,” Harry grimaced and drank the juice.

Snape stayed at the back of the hospital wing whilst Harry was surrounded by all of his friends. Busying himself tidying Madam Pomfrey’s medication closet and making a note of what potions he needed to brew to add to her stores. It was about time he did his monthy check of the hospital wing supplies anyway and it gave him an excuse to be close to Harry. When Madam Pomfrey made the other students leave finally allowing Harry to lie down for some rest. Harry is a student not a crystal vase he shouldn’t be handled so carefully and allowed to get away with so much! That was one thing that Snape intended to change when he got the chance. The boy needed rules and guidelines. It was obvious he was allowed to get away with whatever he wanted at home due to the mannerisms he had picked up at the castle. Waltzing around as if he owned the place..its a wonder he wasn’t James Potter’s son! But Harry wasn’t...he was his son. A fact that his most recent actions had made him realise quite visibly.

When Snape could hear Harry’s breathing slowly he came out to sit beside him. It was then that Harry heard the voice again. A lot of hissing and then he heard quite visibly.

“Kill! KILL! Time to Kill!”

But felt too weak to do anything. He vowed that he would try to do some research to find out what it was tomorrow.

Something woke Harry during the night. Harry’s first reaction was to throw whatever it was off him and go back to sleep. But when he looked he saw that house elf that had gotten him into trouble at his aunt and uncle’s place sitting on his bed staring at him!

Dobby visits him in hospital.

“Harry Potter should have listened to Dobby, Harry Potter should have gone back home when he missed the train!”

“It was you,” he stated, “you stopped the platform from letting us through.”

“Indeed, yes sir,” Dobby said.

“You almost got Ron and me expelled!” Harry whispered angrily.

“At least you would be away from here!” Dobby said, “Harry Potter must go home! Dobby thought that his bludger would be enough to make Harry Potter see that...”

“Your bludger,” Harry said, “you made that bludger chase after me?”

Dobby nodded, “Dobby feels most aggrieved sir, Dobby had to iron his hands!” he shows Harry his hands wrapped in bandages, “but Dobby doesn’t care. As long as Harry Potter is safe!”

“safe...Safe? You call having that bludger chase after me safe? You better get out of here Dobby before I get my strength back I might strangle you!” Dobby whimpers and walks away from the bed. “Dobby is used to death threats sir, Dobby gets them five times a day at home!”

“I don’t suppose you could tell me why you tried to kill me?” Harry asked.

“Not kill you,” Dobby said, “never kill you! Dobby remembers what it was like before Harry Potter triumphed over he who should not be named. We house elves were treated like vermin sir! Of course Dobby is still treated like vermin” and he sobbed loudly.

“Shhh!” Harry said worried that someone would come back any minute, Harry watched Dobby blow his nose on his rags and asked “why do you wear that thing Dobby?”

“This sir,” Dobby said pointing to his clothes, “is a mark of the house elf enslavement. Dobby can only be freed if his master presents him with clothes.”

They heard footsteps and a closing door nearby. Dobby jumped onto the bed and said to Harry “Listen, there is a plot, to make most terrible things are to happen at Hogwarts. Harry Potter must not stay here now that history is to repeat itself.”

“Repeat itself? You mean that this has happened before?” Harry asked.

“I shouldn’t have said that!” Dobby said, then found a nearby lamp and started hitting himself with it “Bad Dobby, Bad Dobby!”

Harry grabs him by the front of the cloth and says “Dobby tell me, what happened before, what’s going on now? Who’s doing it?”

Dobby merely said “Dobby can’t say sir, Dobby only wants Harry Potter to be safe!”

“No Dobby tell me!” Harry said, but Dobby clicked his fingers and was gone.

“HARRY JAMES POTTER GET BACK TO BED NOW!” Severus Snape roared from the doorway. Harry got back into his bed and Snape went to the back of the infirmatory pretending to be working with some potions.

Harry was trying to fall asleep for the night when he heard voices, Collin Creavey had been brought into the hospital wing, petrified. Harry lay on his side and listened to everything spoken by the teachers.

 “I think he has been petrified Madam Pomfrey,” Minerva McGonigal stated.

“What wise words indeed Minerva,” Snape drawled, “The question is, did he take a picture of his attacker.”

Dumbledore, who was standing closest to the boy, removed the camera and opened it up at the back. There was a lot of smoke and what looked like burned film leaving little to no evidence of the attack.

“What can this mean Albus?” Minerva McGonigal asked.

“It means our worst fears have been realised. Hogwarts is no longer safe,” Dumbledore replied.

“What should I tell the staff?” McGonigal asked.

“Tell them the truth, the chamber of secrets has indeed been opened, again. Severus why don’t you get some sleep Harry should be fine by the morning.”

But Severus knowing what reactions could come from a potion merely said “I have business to attend to here Albus.”

Dumbledore chose not to argue.

Snape sat again beside Harry’s bedside, smiling at the idea that he had slept through it all. Harry found it strange that Snape was sitting by his side, but closed his eyes and pretending to be asleep. Soon his breathing settled and Snape smiled looking down at Harry.  Harry Potter...no...no that’s not right. Harry Snape. Yeah. He liked that a lot more. He gently stroked Harry’s hair as he continued to dream, “Thanks Dad,” muttered Harry as he rolled away from Snape, obviously lost in the world of dreams.

Dad....Dad? A name that Snape only knew in one fashion. Fear. After the way his father had treated him. But his son would never know that. “As Lily as my guide, you shall never be treated in that way.” He said gently, “you shall never know the torment that some people can bring.” He stayed beside Harry until early morning when he awoke in the chair beside him and crept off before Harry awoke. Filled and relieved by the dream he had. His father loved him and he had a home. A place that made him happy and encouragement from the man he admired. Harry sighed as he waited for the matron nurse to release him from the hospital wing so he could get to his first class for the day. He had slept through Sunday on and off with Snape silently watching him.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2782