A New Year by rosina
Summary: Having de-aged Harry in 'The Best Christmas' I thought I would put things right. Stiil short, still fluffy, and anything recognisable is still not mine.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: Pomfrey, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2001 Read: 2670 Published: 06 Apr 2012 Updated: 07 Apr 2012
Chapter 1 by rosina
Author's Notes:
A bit out of season, but we did have snow the other day...
 

A few days after the start of the January term Harry hung his outdoor cloak up in his wardrobe, shutting the door just as Ron stumbled back into the dormitory from the direction of the showers. "Where've you been this early, mate?" he asked with a yawn.

"Oh, woke up at dawn and couldn't get back to sleep," Harry replied, surreptitiously shoving the tail of his purple dragon out of sight under his pillow.  "All of you lot were snoring like a four-headed Fluffy so I went downstairs. Hurry up and finish getting dressed, I'm starving."

***

"What's Hedwig doing delivering mail to the staff table, Harry?" asked Ron as they sat at breakfast. "If I didn't know better, I'd say she gave a letter to Snape."

"Oh, Ronald, don't be ridiculous. She might be unusual, but I'm sure Hedwig isn't the only Snowy post owl in the world," Hermione jumped in.

 Relieved at not having to answer Harry carried on eating his bacon and eggs.  Ron gave Harry a suspicious look, but just grunted, and helped himself to more sausages from the platter in front of him.

As the meal drew to a close, Snape swept down the aisle and stopped just behind the trio. "My office, 5.00 pm this afternoon, Potter. Do not be late." He set off again towards the double door exit.

"Greasy git," muttered Ron, before turning to Harry. "There's definitely something going on between you and Snape, Harry. You sure you didn't get cursed over the holidays or dropped on your head before they re-aged you?"

 

Harry smiled. "No, I told you. Holidays were good this year. Not sure what he wants to see me for," he lied.

 

 

***

 

Snape sat in his office a few minutes before 5.00 pm, waiting for Harry to arrive. He thought back over the last week or so, remembering the good times they had spent together.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

The weather had deteriorated after Boxing Day, the wind howling and gusting around the battlements while the snow showers turned to icy rain and hail, so Snape had needed to amuse Harry within the castle, although Albus and Minerva happily helped out by taking him while Severus caught up on some brewing, and on the one occasion the Dark Lord called. Aside from reading and ‘musical' sessions, most of Snape's oddments of parchment had been scribbled or coloured on, and he and Harry had built a card model of a sphinx from the Magical Monsters series, which had been found under the Christmas tree. Harry was thrilled with the miniature wand imbued with sticking charms that came with this kit.

 

But, best of all, they had spent several fun afternoons in a room on the lower level of the astronomy tower, where, hidden by a moth-eaten over-imaginative tapestry of Ursa Major and a triple warded and very solid oak door, Snape had a magnificent train set laid out. Harry was enthralled and the Professor found he was happy to let the child decide where the herd of Hippogriff should be sited and which flags should be flown on the model castle. He also obliged when Harry requested faces on the front of the engines, so the sleek blue and silver intercity engine gained half-moon spectacles and the name Albus, while for reasons Harry was unable to articulate the miniature Hogwarts express had a big smile and was simply called Happy, the orange passenger train became Ron, and a lumbering battleship grey goods engine was christened Dud. Harry worked very hard to prevent his favourite engines being sent through the longest, darkest tunnel in the layout, but cheered delightedly when Snape sent ‘Dud' on  that route.

 

***

 

The effects of the de-aging gas had lasted longer than either Poppy or Snape had expected, and it wasn't until the day before the students were due back in the castle that it looked as if the reversal was likely to take place. Harry arrived at breakfast in an extremely bad mood. The house elves had provided the usual selection of porridge and pumpkin juice, with toast and strawberry jam to follow.

 

"Don't wannit!" Harry slammed his small fists down on the table with enough force to splatter juice out of the glasses and over the cloth.

 

"Harry, eat your breakfast nicely," Snape frowned at him.

 

"NOOOO!"

 

Snape put his hand to Harry's forehead to find it very hot, as Poppy had warned him it would be when the re-aging became imminent.

 

"All right, young man, go and put on your Reindeer sweater and we'll make a little trip up to see Aunt Poppy."

 

Snape smoothed down the ruffled hair, picked up the now properly dressed Harry and turned towards the Floo.

 

"Don't wanna go anywheeeere,"Harry whined. "Dragon!"

 

"Ah,yes." Snape turned to look for the soft toy only to be whacked in the face as it zoomed from Harry's bedroom. Harry grabbed the toy and cuddled it to his chest.

 

"Well done Potter," said Snape wryly. "Nice piece of wandless magic."

 

***

 

 

"Ah, about time," said the Mediwitch when they reached the infirmary. "Put him on the bed there, and I'll just do a couple of spells." She waved her wand over Harry. "There, that'll send him to sleep for a couple of hours and I‘ve done the charm to make sure his clothes enlarge as he does."

 

She covered Harry with a white honeycomb pattern hospital blanket. "By the way, Severus, I've been doing some reading and I think there is a good chance that you are wrong. I believe it is very likely that Harry will remember the events of the last few days. Anyway, there's no need for you to stay. I'm sure you must have plenty to do."

 

"No," Snape replied hastily. "I shall finish the job I was given. And, it is important to know who is correct about his memory as quickly as possible." He summoned a chair and sat down beside Harry to wait as Madam Pomfrey disappeared into her office with a knowing smile on her face.

 

 

***

 

Green eyes flickered and struggled to focus.

"Uncl...... Prof........Um.......Oh hell!"  Red-faced, Harry pulled the blanket over his head.

 

"You've taken the words right out of my mouth, Mr Potter. Stay here."

 

"You think I'm going anywhere in this jumper," Harry mumbled from underneath the covers.

 

Snape stalked off to Poppy's office. "You were right," he told her. "May I use your Floo to call the headmaster?"

 

"Of course.  I'll just go and check on Harry" she answered.

 

 

***

 

Snape returned from Poppy's office to find Harry devouring a huge bowl of cereal. "What?" he asked at Snape's Look. "I didn't get any breakfast."

 

"And whose fault was that, Mr Potter?" Snape replied grumpily.

 

"Now, Harry, we need to have a serious conversation. The headmaster and I mistakenly believed that you would not retain any memory of the past two weeks when you re-aged. So. We have two choices, since he tells me that you have been having strange vision like dreams that may have emanated from the Dark Lord. It seems he may be able to use your scar to somehow amplify his long distance suggestions?"

 

Harry nodded warily.

 

Snape continued, "The worry is that he may also be able to access your memories, which could prove dangerous for me should he realise that I, a supposed loyal Death Eater, had a vulnerable, defenceless Harry Potter in my care and failed to alert him of the fact."

 

"Wh....err........are you some sort of double agent sir?" Harry queried.

 

"Let us just say that we are both Dumbledore's men, Potter. Now - have you heard of Occlumency and Legilimency?" asked Snape.

 

"Yeah. Well..... sort of. I think one lets people poke around in your head and one keeps them out?" Harry waffled.

 

"There are more sophisticated definitions, but that will do for now. Professor Dumbledore has been pressing me to teach you Occlumency for several months now. I have so far refused because of the previous animosity between us.  I do believe that, now, I would be able to work with you if you are willing. I believe that if you have sufficient trust to allow me into your head I could quickly and fairly easily show you how to erect basic but strong shields, which you would then have to work on to maintain and improve. As you will not be leaving the castle, the headmaster believes Hogwarts will protect us temporarily. You therefore have a week in which to decide if you can work with me on Occlumency skills, or if you would prefer to be Obliviated of the time you spent as a child."

 

Harry chewed his bottom lip and nodded slowly.

 

"Very well. I shall await your response. If I have heard nothing in the next week you will be Obliviated. In the meantime, please keep things to yourself. Your friends were told that you were re-aged and returned to Privet Drive for the Christmas holiday. Please promise me you will keep to that story."

 

"Okay sir. I will. Umm, why aren't you just Obliviating me without letting me have a choice?"

 

 

"I dislike performing unnecessary Obliviates, Potter, and as it is advisable for you to learn the skills I can teach you, I am hoping this will give you the impetus you need to focus."

 

"Oh." Harry pondered. "Thank you."

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

Coming back to the present, Snape shuffled through the pile of homework scrolls on his desk, but didn't begin marking. He took a deep breath as the anticipated knock on the door came just before the clock chimed.

 

 "Come in."

 

 He gestured towards the wooden ladder back chair set off to one side of his desk as Harry's head appeared in the doorway, and watched as the boy made his way over and sat down.

 

"Good afternoon, Mr Potter. I believe you may have come to a decision."

 

 At Harry's nod, he crossed his fingers on the hand hidden under the desk and asked, "Well, am I to Obliviate you, or can we work together to provide you with suitable Occlumency skills?"

 

"I don't want to lose the memories of the best Christmas I ever had as a child," Harry said determinedly. "If you think I can do it, I want to try and master Occlumency. I know you don't like the grown up me, sir, but I wish.... Um....could.....could we ever meet up for a couple of hours just to talk...no...forget I said that. Sorry."

 

Sanpe relaxed. It seemed those few days over the holiday had affected Harry as much as they had him.

"If you work hard and apply yourself, I see no reason for you not to master the necessary skills. When you have succeeded sufficiently I would be happy to mentor you. For now, you will have to tell people that you are having remedial Potions lessons with me starting tomorrow evening after dinner.  To allay any suspicions of prejudice I shall arrange for Mr Longbottom to have some tutoring from one of my sixth year potions students who has aspirations of teaching and who has been very helpful with my younger Slytherins."

 

"Thank you, sir," Harry's face lit up." I really appreciate how you took care of me, and it would be good to have someone to talk things through with. Someone older and more experienced I mean."

 

"Very well Mr Potter. We shall come to some arrangement. Off you go to the hall for dinner before your friends think I've eaten you alive."

 

"Oh, and Harry," Snape called as the boy reached the door. "Ten points from Gryffindor for your cheek." He held up a card with a picture of a train on the front.

 

Harry just grinned and shrugged before leaving the room.

 

"And twenty points to Gryffindor for your thoughtfulness," Snape said after the door had closed.

He smiled slightly as he opened the card again to hear Harry's teenaged but still slightly off key singing voice.

 

"Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday Uncle Sna-ape

Happy birthday to you."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2783