Family Matters by garfield090684
Summary: Harry's new life at Snapes starts. Third year may lead to many surprises for Harry and his father.

All characters are the intellectual property of JK Rowling and no copywrite infringement is meant through the writing of this fanfiction.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Slash
Prompts: Taken
Challenges: Taken
Series: None
Chapters: 36 Completed: No Word count: 72957 Read: 124456 Published: 27 Apr 2012 Updated: 12 Jul 2013
Dreamful Mesencephalon by garfield090684

Snape walked into his study writing a letter to Dumbledore announcing his return and Harry's safety and another to Mel. To tell her that they had gotten home safely and to suggest that if she as ever in the UK she was welcome to stay with them. Also asking how she was holding up after the incident at the airport. He sat thinking about the situation with Harry wondering what he could do to help and maybe find a way through to the boy. With a heavy heart he realised what he had to do use the dreamful mesencephalon, enough for both him and Harry. Tonight would be an interesting night. Dreamful mesencephalon was a known potion, meant to guarantee to send two people into the same dream during the night. Whilst not widely used, it was used in extreme cases of memory loss. As Snape feared the worst for his son he brought the potion to him. Usually this particular potion was only given by permission of the high nurse at St Mungo's but because Snape was one of the highest skilled at potions he was capable of having a supply of this potion, one which he often shared with St Mungo's when their supplies were running low.

"Harry, take this potion, it's to help you sleep tonight," Snape stated, not wishing to scare the boy of what he truly needed to find out. He soon put the boy to bed knowing that this potion would work when he was at his most restful, and telling Pawrir what he was up to he went and lay on his bed himself taking the potion and allowed himself to finally fall into a deep and powerful sleep.

Just like at Mel's place Snape found himself in an area which was filled with mist.

"Dad, Dad where are you?" Harry was calling for him, he could hear him, "Dad…Dad I'm scared where are you?"

Snape began to work his way through the mist although it was as thick as snow. He could barely see an inch in front of his face but he continued to walk allowing for his parental instinct to guide him as he had before at Mel's.

"Harry, son, Harry keep talking let me know where you are!" he yelled out to him.

"Dad, Dad where are you? I'm scared Dad?" Harry stated, "Dad I'm feeling so tired…just so….so tired,"

"Stay where you are Harry, keep talking to me, please Harry," Snape stated as he continued to walk through the mist.

"I'm coming to find you Dad, where are you Dad? Dad I'm coming!" Harry said.

"NO Harry, stay where you are, just stay and I will come for you," Snape stated as he continued to try to walk towards him.

"But Dad I'm scared, I'm so tired…I'm scared Dad, Dad I can't find you, where are you please Dad," Harry stated and he started to cry.

Snape knew what this was, it was the mist of the damned, only caused by severe accidents and powerful spells. As he had not seen any sign of a severe accident on his son his only option was to believe it was a powerful spell. But the fact that he was claiming fatigue, was something to be worried about. He might have about a month to work out what is going on and how it happened, or Harry risked going completely insane. His mental core was weakening by the day and Snape knew that if it went down too much then there was no coming back. Like the Longbottoms who were cruciated until they broke. His boy, would be broken. Forever.

"Harry," Snape called out again, "Harry,"

"I'm here Dad, please I need you, please?" Harry called out questioning and asking himself, being so frightened.

Snape saw a dark figure to the left, and turned to it, "Harry?" he put his hands on the figure.

"Dad?" Harry stated gently putting his head against the man's chest.

"Oh Harry!" Snape cried holding his son close to him. All he wanted to do was apparate them both out of there, to be able to get him home and safe. To continue their life together.

"Harry what do you remember…who hurt you?" he asked.

"I don't know Dad, my back was turned, how is Ron?" Harry asked with his heart thumping out of his chest. He was so worried about what could have happened to his closest friend, to the one that he loved spending time with.

"He's fine son, he's with his family, as are you, but I am so worried about you. Are you ok?" Snape asked. He knew it was a silly question, of course he's not ok, if he was ok then he would still be able to speak to him like he always had. To be a cheeky young teenager who sometimes had a head bigger than the size of a brinalaw, but a heart as big as all the hope in the world. But he couldn't, Snape had to find the answers. There had to be a way to help his son become the wonderful young lad he used to be. He was headstrong, just like his father. Snape felt himself smile at that thought, he would pull through. He just had to. In the meantime a temporary fix was needed.

"Harry I love you," Snape stated, it was rare for Snape to show such raw emotion. To expose himself to anybody, but it was important that his son knew that he was there for him. "I know you're tired son, but reach down into yourself and find the strength to come back, if you need to, borrow some energy from me. I will be here for you and I will always love you. My precious son." He was the last thing that Lily has shared with him and the most important thing in his life. He would not allow himself to lose him whilst there was a single inch of strength within his mind, body and soul, he would use it.

But the scene faded before Snape could say much more. Despite the fact that he longed for a longer time to be spent with his son, he also knew that the part of him that was in the physical world had great need of him as well. The question was how to get past the spell so that he could be with his son. Yes it is possible to be sitting right beside the one you love, yet miss them more than life itself. It was this uncommon phenomenon that Snape had to live with now. It was hard. But Snape was someone who had lived through more than one disappointment in his life which is what made him become the dark and dangerous bat of the dungeons. A sweet and sensitive man had to cope with a world of pain, over and over again. To steel himself against the pain he witnessed under the power of the dark lord, and to cope with the loss of a family not once, as he had thought for a while, but twice, maybe even three times now. But he pushed that thought away quickly, he would NOT lose his son. He would do everything in his power to avoid that no matter what it took.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2789