Family Matters by garfield090684
Summary: Harry's new life at Snapes starts. Third year may lead to many surprises for Harry and his father.

All characters are the intellectual property of JK Rowling and no copywrite infringement is meant through the writing of this fanfiction.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Slash
Prompts: Taken
Challenges: Taken
Series: None
Chapters: 36 Completed: No Word count: 72957 Read: 124483 Published: 27 Apr 2012 Updated: 12 Jul 2013
Off To Hogwarts by garfield090684

The next morning found Snape packing his bags early preparing for the year ahead at Hogwarts. There were things he needed to ensure he took with him, certain books and potions which would yield a successful year for him and his students for the next year. Harry was still sleeping when Snape came into his bedroom.

"It's time for us to leave son, get your trunk ready or must I ask the house elves to do EVERYTHING around here?" he stated.

Harry rolled over and sat up in his bed rubbing his eyes. He tried to get back the thoughts in his dream. He was flying on this broomstick far above the clouds chasing after this yellow glittering object. He liked it. He smiled, yawned, got dressed into jeans and a tshirt and started packing. It didn't take him long even after the purchases made earlier by Molly Weasley. It was so nice of her to help him get some new clothes but how on earth did she know his size? Harry just cast that thought aside finished packing and walked downstairs to meet a warm bowl of porridge and a frustrated father reading the newspaper.

"Good morning Harry," he said as he took a sip from his tea, "looking forward to going to Hogwarts?"

"Yes sir," Harry said as he sat at the breakfast table and started to eat his porridge.

"I need you to promise me something son," Snape stated gently.

"What is it?" Harry asked.

"Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban. He was a mass murderer with a heart of pure ice. Even as a child," Snape cleared his throat and continued, "I want you to promise me that no matter what you might hear about Sirius Black that you do not go looking for him. He is after all, a mass murderer and one twelve year old boy is not going to dissuade him from doing what he thinks is his mission. Promise me that you will not go looking for him so that at least your safety is one less thing on my mind for this year," Snape spoke sternly to Harry to ensure that he recognised how serious he was.

"But why would I go looking for somebody who would try to kill me?" Harry asked.

But his answer never came because at that moment green flames appeared in the fireplace and Molly Weasley stepped out.

"Hello Severus, Harry dear how wonderful to see you," she stated happily, "the children are all ready at the burrow to go through to Hogwarts I wanted to make sure that you boys were ready."

Molly was always trying to look out for those around her. She believed that there was a kind of love which only the female people in someone's life can provide. May they be a mother or grandmother, aunty or even just a friend. Molly intended to ensure that Lily's son knew that he could always go to her for help and was trying to make sure that she didn't miss out on one of those special moments in his life. Going to Hogwarts for what seemed to Harry at least, to be the first time seemed to be one of those special moments. After all, Harry already felt like just another one of her children both to her and Arthur.

"Good evening Molly," Snape stated, "doesn't your family need you right now?"

"They are with Arthur, Severus, you know that. I thought maybe Harry might need some help organising himself for going to Hogwarts." She smiled, and continued, "I remember my children were all nervous the first time that they went."

"But this isn't the first time he's been Molly, he needs to understand and accept t hat. Even though to him things may seem new and different," Snape stated.

"That's my point Severus, it is all new and different to him so it's like he is going to Hogwarts for the first time. Lucky boy, imagine two experiences of the first time at Hogwarts."

"Yeah lucky me," Harry said sarcastically, "anyway Dad, why do you think that I would go after somebody who would try to kill me?"

"Well Harry," Molly replied walking across the room and gently putting her arm around Harry's shoulders to comfort the boy for what she felt she needed to say, "when you were younger, your mother and James took you into hiding because there was an evil wizard after you. This wizard…"

"MOLLY!" Severus yelled out, "Harry is MY son and if ANYBODY is going to explain that to him it's going to be me! Now I think it would be a good idea if you returned to the burrow."

"Oh…I'm sorry Severus, I didn't think….I….I should go," Molly stated taking her arm from around Harry's shoulder and disappearing through the green flames as quickly as she had come.

Snape just took a deep breath. Why is it that between Dumbledore, Arthur and even Molly his parenting keeps getting interrupted? He knew that it was his duty to look after his son and that these other people should not be interfering. Lily would have had a few things to say had she been able to respond to the way the others were treating him. If they DARED to talk to Lily that way she would definitely have had some rather crude and cold comments to make. After all Lily lived up to all of the stereotype of the firey red headed temper! But he loved her so much, even her temper which he had run into a few times during the time of their friendship and probably their marriage although he did not remember that. He sat thinking about it for a few minutes when a quiet voice brought him back to reality, a voice with Lily's eyes.

"Dad?" Harry said quietly. Snape looked at him and smiled, his son, their son, and he needed to have something explained to him. But knowing what dangers lurked at Hogwarts and how scared he must be already to go he didn't wish to tell him everything all at once. It might be too much for him to handle.

"Yes it is true that there was a dangerous dark wizard after you Harry. Sirius Black is a supporter of this dark wizard and now that he has escaped Azkaban he is guaranteed to want to help his master finish the task he set out to do that faithful night." He put his hand firmly on Harry's shoulder looking into his eyes, "he may try to kill you son."

Harry gulped, "but why would a dark wizard want to come after me? I haven't done anything to anybody. Honest!"

Snape smiled for a second, reflecting on the innocence of such a statement before looking quite seriously at his son stating "A lot of people put too much faith into prophesies of the future. Believing them to always be correct. I have always thought that they might hold a key to the future, but the truth of what occurs in one's future lies in our choices. A simple change of mind can change future events in less than a second," he sighed and took a deep breath bracing himself for what had to come, "However Voldemort, the dark wizard, found a prophesy which said," he paused for a second contemplating whether to tell him but concluded it was important that he knew at some stage "it said that you could kill him one day. That is why he decided to come after you son and will continue to do so and that is why you must promise me that you will check in with me every day like we agreed to earlier, and that no matter what you might hear you do not go looking for Sirius Black."

After being told that Harry just stood looking at his father with his mouth wide open in shock.

"That is why I must be so strict with you Harry, if I fail you in any way as a parent it could be your life at stake. I know that other children are allowed to get away with certain things that you never will. If you let your guard slip for even a minute it could mean your very life."

Harry started to cry and threw himself at Snape as if he was three years old silently begging for his comfort and assurance. Snape sighed as he put his arms around the sobbing teenager.

"I promised your mother that I will protect you Harry," he said as he gently ran his fingers through his sons hair, "and that I will do son to the best of my abilities. But in order to do it completely you must work with me. You must help me by behaving correctly, telling me if you think that anything is slightly strange about somebody or something you might have seen and by allowing me to help you son. Will you do that for me Harry? Son?"

Harry continued to cry silently, as he wanted to hear what his father had said, he nodded his head vigorously in response. Snape surprised himself when he kissed his son on the head the same as he would have with Lily those many times that she had cried in his arms when Petunia had upset her. Petunia, not only did she hurt Lily but she was then permitted to continue her abusive behaviour onto his son. One of these days, he would get even, but right now was not a time for revenge. It was time to try to cheer up his son so that they could show a brave face when they reentered the walls of Hogwarts and recommenced Harry's education the best way possible considering the circumstances.

"Promise me you will do that for me son," he said gently, "Promise."

"I promise Dad, I will try to keep myself safe and talk with you if I'm unsure," Harry said clearly but still choking back a tear.

"Good boy," Snape said as he squeezed his shoulder.

"Tell me Harry, how do you feel about the Weasleys?" Snape asked hoping that a change of conversation might lighten the boy's mood as he didn't seem to be stopping the tear flow any time soon.

"Yes," he said drying his eyes, "they are nice. But why were you so mean to Mrs Weasley?" he asked trying to sound polite.

"I just wanted a chance to share our family business with just you, my son. There are some precious moments which should be experienced by just a father and his son and a conversation about your safety I believe to be one of them. Ok? We will be seeing her soon enough at Hogwarts," Snape was not ready yet to divulge the truth that he was considered to many to be the bat of the dungeons and his behaviour often reflected that. Showing that he wished to be left alone. The perfect atmosphere for a spy, which was something that he still felt necessary to uphold both for him and the protection of his family.

"Oh, well I like Fred and George, and Ginny seems pretty nice, but Ron, it seems like there is something really wrong with him Dad, maybe you can help him?" Harry asked.

Snape sighed and smiled, his son always thought of the protection, safety and happiness of others far before he thought of his own. If only SOME of that concern could be pressed into his own safety then Snape's life would be made a lot easier. But unfortunately for Snape, he had a son who would run headlong into something without thinking twice if he thought he could help somebody else. A trait that was to his own self destruction. A trait that Snape would have to work on slowly and hopefully one day get through to him. "I'll try son," he said and ruffled Harry's hair which brought a smile to the boys face, "thank you for telling me. Did you like Hermione?" he asked.

"Yes she seems really cool and really smart Dad," Harry replied.

"Yes she is one of the brightest of your year in all of her subjects at Hogwarts. I can see that young witch going far in life," Snape smiled thinking of another intelligent girl he knew at school, with brilliant green eyes and red hair, "your mother was a lot like her. Anyway, I think it's enough chatter and its time to go are you ready?"

"Yeah let me go get my trunk!" Harry said.

"Oh never mind about that Pewrir will send them on for us. It's time for us to leave," Snape stated taking a handful of floo powder he threw it into the fireplace and wrapping one arm around Harry he pulled them both through the floo similar to the way a lot of wizarding parents bring their young children through and they entered his office at Hogwar
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2789