The Day he was Pushed too Far by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: Unable to deal with the pain and loss he felt during the third task; Harry slowly startes to fall apart,the others around him oblivious to it all. The loneliness continues to eat him up until one day, Harry finally snaps. Who will be there save him now and help him pick up the pieces?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Luna, Neville, Other, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Resorting, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Prompts: Pushed Too Far
Challenges: Pushed Too Far
Series: None
Chapters: 38 Completed: Yes Word count: 76299 Read: 351321 Published: 11 May 2012 Updated: 28 Jun 2014
Chapter 20: Spreading the Blame by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Hey guys, another angst filled chapter..its not as sad as the previous one..or the next one if I'm being honest.

Thanks for all the support, here you go. I hope the markers help keep you guys unconfused.

Draco ran through the empty corridors unsure of where he was going, but knowing that he needed to get away. His eye site blurred from the tears and he tripped over a stone and fell to the ground hard. He didn’t get up and instead curled up into a fetal position and cried his heart out. He didn’t know where he was and he could care less at that moment. It was true, Harry really was dead and he couldn’t handle it. His rival, just dead, no longer alive; this had to be some kind of dream, right?

Draco sobbed loudly, these heart-wrenching sobs. So far in the last day or so he had cried more than he ever had in his life. He couldn’t handle the guilt and like Harry had said; it was starting to suffocate him. He cried more, wishing that his mother was here, out of everyone she was the one who comforted him when he needed it. He was so caught up into his grief he didn’t hear the soft footsteps walking towards him. They got closer until they came to a stop, and rested in front of him.

“Why are you on the floor?” Harry asked softly, though he knew the reason why. He had seen the other boy fall, but he didn’t get up like one would.

“Why do you care?” Draco asked tiredly, his voice cracking on his tears.

“Maybe I don’t,” Harry said with a smirk.

“Why did you follow me then?” Draco asked with a sniffle.

“I don’t know,” Harry whispered honestly, as he bent down and took a seat next to the boy.

“Are you going to laugh at me for crying? Are you going to make fun of me for being weak?” Draco asked quietly.

“No,” Harry breathed.

“Then why are you here?” He asked softly.

“I don’t know,” Harry repeated almost inaudibly.

Draco didn’t say anything else; there was nothing else to say. Even though he wasn’t sure what the other boy’s motives were, he was aware of one thing. He was no longer alone, and though he barely knew the boy he felt strangely at ease. He was comforted that the boy would follow him to make sure he was ok. The thought set off a wave of new tears; he should have done that to Harry. He didn’t even have to talk, he could have just listened.

~*~*Greenhouse~*~*~

Neville was in one of the greenhouses, sitting quietly in the middle of the plants. He had always felt at ease here, in his element so to speak. He didn’t say anything, for he was all alone. But he didn’t mind it, at the moment; his mind was going a hundred miles per hour. He couldn’t cry either, he was terribly sad but unlike everyone else, there was no guilt on his heart. He was in shock, because the world had just lost a great person.

Someone who was no different from him; that feeling of kinship he had felt with Harry was gone. No one else would understand how he felt, like Harry did. Neville was alone, like he was before he started Hogwarts, Harry was the only one who had seemed to care. He shook his head, how was he supposed to get through the hell he called school now? Would Harry’s death change anything? He sighed softly, pushing the hurt feelings away as he turned to water some plants.

~*~*~*Great Hall~*~*~*~

“I understand that a few of you will be grieving, but we must continue on with our lives. Classes will still be in session today, and we will be bringing in a few healers if you need to talk to someone.” Albus said tiredly.

“Albus, it’s too soon, they need time to process this. Why haven’t you canceled classes?” Minerva asked quietly, she was keeping her emotions in check. She needed to make sure her students were ok before she broke down.

“Because they all need a sense of routine, I have no doubt that a few of them would waste away in their beds if they could. Depression eats at your soul Minerva,” Albus said wisely.

He could see her nod and see the reason, and he turned to check on Harry who was nowhere to be found. Then again, the great hall was a bit chaotic; children were either staring quietly, or crying. No one was really talking to one another, and he sighed wondering if this was such a good idea. He knew what a death could do to a child, and for a moment he considered calling off the whole thing until he remembered Harry. He had already failed that child once, and he wouldn’t do it again.

Severus stood up; when he heard Albus say that classes were still in session. His class with the 5th year Slytherin and Gryffindors were first and he just knew it was going to be anything but quiet. The children were mourning, and they were hurt. He sighed as he stood up and addressed his Slytherins.

“All my 5th years, follow me. You heard the Headmaster, class will start momentarily.” He said helping Theodore stand up, as the rest of the children followed suit.

Ron looked up at the Headmaster, his eyes red. Was the man insane? He couldn’t go to Snape’s class like this; the man would eat him alive. He would probably be glad that Harry was dead, and would probably make fun of the lions too. He knew he wasn’t thinking rationally but he didn’t know how to deal with all this grief. Harry was like his brother; his mum had practically adopted him. He gasped loudly startling everyone around him, scaring George who he had been leaning on.

“What’s the matter Ron?” George asked softly.

“Who’s going to tell mum?” He asked tearfully.

~*~*~*Hallway~*~*~*~

Harry sighed from his place on the floor, Draco had stopped the loud sobbing, but he was still crying. He thought that he would be happy that the boy would know how he felt, but he just felt sad. He never figured that the blonde was capable of feeling. The Slytherin always wore a cold mask, to know that it took his ‘death’ for him to finally see that the boy was also human.

He sighed again, as he hesitantly reached his hand out to touch the boy’s shoulder. He felt him tense, but he didn’t shove it off so Harry left it. He looked around them, wondering which part of the dungeons they were in. He didn’t remember seeing this part before. He shrugged and waited for the blonde to get up. He didn’t have to wait that long, he heard a sniffle and then Draco finally moved. Harry stood up and held his hand down, and was rewarded when the blonde boy grabbed it. He pulled him up, and looked at him closely.

“Are you ok?” He couldn’t help but ask.

“For now,” Draco replied hoarsely.

~*~*~*~*Great Hall~*~*~*~

Severus instructed them to wait by the door; he could see other teachers following his example. And for the moment he felt like he was dealing with a much younger group of kids. He walked over to the Gryffindor table, where it was silent. Never in all his years, would he think that this group of rambunctious kids would be quiet but yet they were.

It was a shame that it took a tragedy for people to really change. He knew first-hand, having been down that road. He shook the thought away as he addressed the lions. He didn’t see Granger or Longbottom, and he frowned because it was unlike either of them to miss class. Surely they hadn’t forgotten?

“5th years follow me,” Severus said quietly, wondering if any of them were going to argue.

He was mistaken when they all got up and followed him, none of them ever saying a word. Severus led them towards the front where he rejoined the snakes and he trekked down to his classroom with them in tow. He was so lost in his own thoughts he didn’t think how any of them would react when they were faced with the very place where they had last seen Harry alive.

The End.
End Notes:
What did you think? Oh I dont say this enough Thanks for pointing out the mistakes, so I can fix them that helps alot.

Flamers go away, constructive critism however is welcome.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2798