The Day he was Pushed too Far by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: Unable to deal with the pain and loss he felt during the third task; Harry slowly startes to fall apart,the others around him oblivious to it all. The loneliness continues to eat him up until one day, Harry finally snaps. Who will be there save him now and help him pick up the pieces?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Luna, Neville, Other, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Resorting, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Prompts: Pushed Too Far
Challenges: Pushed Too Far
Series: None
Chapters: 38 Completed: Yes Word count: 76299 Read: 351325 Published: 11 May 2012 Updated: 28 Jun 2014
Chapter 21: Can you handle it? by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
This chapter was depressing to write..lol It has various POVs again because not everyone is in the same place and not everyone deals with grief the same. I put the markers up, so I hope it helps with any confusion.

Its a bit longer then usual chapters but I couldnt split it up. I hope you like it and before you guys ask again..I'm not that cruel to leave Molly, Sirius, Arthur or Remus in the dark ok..Enjoy though

~*~*~the Burrow~*~*~*~

Molly Weaseley was sitting at home cleaning up the kitchen, missing her loud brood when Errol came in with the mail. Arthur was sitting at the table drinking coffee, she was happy that he was off work today. She disliked being home alone, with no one for company but the pets. She was wiping down the counter when she heard him suddenly gasp. Molly turned around to look at him in concern.

“What is Arthur?” She asked slowly.

“This can’t be true, wouldn’t Ron tell us. This must me some kind of prank,” Arthur said ignoring her unintentionally as he continued reading the paper.

“What is it? What’s a joke?” Molly asked again, getting worried.

“It says Harry’s dead?” He said though it came out like a question before turning the paper around so she could see it.

Molly stared at the paper quietly as she read the headline. She clutched the towel to her chest, feeling like she might pass out. Harry couldn’t be dead, she just knew. But with it being in the paper and with no mail from Ron to say it was a joke a piece of her heart broke.

“No, not Harry,” She said nearly falling to the floor and she would have had Arthur not caught her. He held her tight as she cried into his shoulder. He blinked away his tears, trying to stay strong for his wife, and his children. He hoped they were taking the news better than they were.

~*~*~Grimmauld Place~*~*~*~*

Remus was cooking breakfast idly wondering what they were going to do for the day; or more importantly, how he could entertain Sirius. He knew his friend was bored staying in the house, but there wasn’t much he could do there. He was taking the eggs off the stove when the post owl delivered the paper. It was really his only way to see what was going on in the outside world since he stayed in the house as well. He picked it up absently as he brought a plate to the table.

“Sirius, breakfast,” he called turning back towards the counter to get his cup.

Remus froze as he read the paper, and his coffee cup fell from his hand and onto the floor below. It shattered and the hot liquid splashed back onto him but he didn’t notice as he read. His heart sunk low into his stomach, every sentence that he read. What did they mean by self-inflicted wound? Were they trying to say Harry had killed himself?

 His cub would never do that, would he? He shook his head, refusing to believe it. If it was true wouldn’t Albus had told them himself? He knew how much Harry meant to both him and Sirius. Remus gasped softly as he thought of how Sirius was going to take it. He quickly folded the paper in half as he heard his footsteps.

“What’s for breakfast Moony?” Sirius asked as he came to a stop in the kitchen and took in the scene.

“Your uh plate is on the table Padfoot,” Remus said trying to keep his voice normal, but he could tell already that he failed.

“Moony, what’s wrong?” Sirius asked automatically as soon as he heard his tone of voice.

“Nothing Sirius, just eat your food.” Remus said as he sniffled. He gripped the countertop with his hands so hard he could feel it starting to crack.

“I don’t believe you; why do you sound like you’re about to cry then?” Sirius pressed.

Remus kept his back to Sirius and tilted his head up trying to keep the tears at bay. He couldn’t keep secrets from him, and he knew the other man was going to find out anyways. He held the paper back in one hand out for him.

“Read it,” he whispered struggling to stay afloat, knowing that Sirius would need him in a minute or so.

Sirius looked at Remus in alarm before grabbing the paper. He didn’t know what had upset Remus so but as he read the paper, he soon understood. A strangled choke/sob emerged from his mouth and he fell to the ground as his legs gave out. The paper fell from his hands but he couldn’t get the headline out of his head. News Flash: The boy-who-lived dead; by self-inflicted wound at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Remus turned towards Sirius to see him crumple to the ground; he didn’t know how his friend was going to survive this death. He had barely survived Lily and James. He walked over to him and grabbed him into a hug. Remus had a second to wonder why Albus didn’t floo them, because this was a horrible way to find out.

“It’ll be ok Sirius,” Remus said softly even though he himself couldn’t see that it would. This was the worse news ever, and the wolf in him was mourning for his lost cub. He got no answer from Sirius except for a sob.

~*~*~Hogwarts~*~*~*

Hermione was running, where she didn’t know. She just knew that she had to get away, she couldn’t be around everyone, not when she was struggling to understand the news they were just told. She knew that she had class in a little bit but she could care less, as she raced through the halls. She choked on her tears as she ran, but she didn’t stop. Harry was dead was going through her head like a mantra. He was the reason she had friends, she did remember first year clearly. It was because of him that Ron had even decided to apologize to her.

Why had she let Ron influence her just because of her crush on him? She knew Harry was right, she could see it in his eyes every time he spoke about it. Her heart stuttered as she realized that she would never again look into those bright emerald eyes. She would never laugh with him, or sneak around the castle with him.  She would never seem him alive again, and her heart broke as it really started to sink in. Hermione was breathing heavily feeling like she might collapse from lack of air, but she never slowed her pace.

~*~*~*Dungeons~*~*~*

“File in and take your seats,” Severus said as he opened the classroom door.

The minute he entered it he couldn’t stop the memory that assaulted him the last time he was in here. He found himself looking towards where he had last seen Umbridge, the chair that she had sat on was still there but of course she wasn’t. She was dead, killed by a muggle weapon. He suddenly had an overwhelming urge to flee from the classroom and never return. He didn’t feel like he could teach here, but he tried to bury those emotions under his shields as he walked to the front of the classroom.

 He was about to turn around when he remembered Harry standing right here before he shot himself. And though he knew that Harry was alive and alright he couldn’t stop the images of the boy shooting himself in the chest and him rushing to stop the bleeding. Severus shook his head, his eyes clouded before turning to look at the students who didn’t seem to be doing any better.

Theodore was panicking in spite of the calming draught, and his eyes were darting everywhere and at everyone. He couldn’t be in here, why were they still in here? He refused to take his seat, he felt so exposed in here, and he couldn’t handle it. His vision was darkening and he felt like his ears were stuffed up. What was going on?

“Professor,” he called faintly.

“Yes Mr. Nott?” Severus asked quietly.

“I need to go to the infirmary,” he said, breathing heavy.

“What’s the matter Theo?” Severus asked dropping the formality as he looked at the child closely.

“I feel weird,” was all he said before he was swaying suddenly, unable do anything about it.

“Someone catch him,” Severus said as he walked towards them, as the boy started falling.

Surprisingly it was Ron who caught him as everyone else seemed to be staring at the place where Umbridge had been sitting. He held the boy up as Snape came up to them.

“Take your seats, while I take care of Mr. Nott,” he said reaching and picking up Theodore. He sighed, knowing how the boy felt, as he carried him into his office and laying him on the couch by the bookshelf.

“Does anybody else not wanna be here?”Pansy asked in the eerie silence.

“When do I ever wanna be in potions?” Dean asked dryly.

“Not potions, this classroom.” She clarified quietly.

“I don’t wanna be in here,” Seamus whispered softly.

~*~*~*Corridor~*~*~

Hermione heard the bell rang signaling the start of class and she sighed. She was late for once in her life but she didn’t care. She had slowed her pace to a walk, and surprisingly she felt better. She felt like she might be able to get through one class before she would have to do it again. She had been able to see every wrong doing they had all did and she wasn’t surprise that this happened. She didn’t know where her feet was taking her, so lost in her thoughts.

As she entered a secret passage way she looked around trying to realize where she was when she say Draco. He had tear tracks on her face and the other boy, was it Emerson? He was staring blankly at him. She headed over towards them and she couldn’t stop the look of concern she gave the Slytherin.

“Are you ok?” She asked as she walked up to them.

“What do you want Mudblood?” Draco sneered, despite the redness in his eyes.

“Well I was checking to see if you were ok,” Hermione said softly, his insult washing over her like a wave.

“If I was dying I wouldn’t tell you,” he said with a disgusted looked on his face.

“Funny you should mention dying. I’m a Mudblood in case you’ve forgotten, which means that gun that Harry pointed at you; I can get one just as easily as he did.” She said casually, watching his already pale face drain of color. She could see the other boy Emerson; stiffen by the wall but he didn’t say anything.

“Are you threatening me?” Draco asked in spite of his fear.

“No, that’s a promise. It should have been you who died, and not Harry. This is your entire fault; you just don’t know how to leave well enough alone. You can continue calling me a Mudblood all you like, and when I finally snap and I come for you. I don’t care how much you beg me; I will still shoot you, right between the eyes.” She said coldly, the rage burning in her eyes, the hurt she felt a minute ago non-existent.

Harry didn’t say anything seeing as this wasn’t his battle. He had thought maybe Draco had learned but he clearly missed something. He knew that Hermione had a point, name calling like that was a big one, he should know. Harry watched Draco’s eyes widen in horror as he stared at Hermione who had turned her fiery gaze towards him.

“I’m Hermione, and you are?” She asked curiously.

“Hi, I’m Emerson Prince; it’s nice to meet you Hermione. Uncle Severus said you’re number one in his potions class,” Harry said in a friendly tone.

“Uncle Severus? Professor Snape is your uncle?” Hermione asked dumbly, but she could see it in his expression, not to mention his features showed her just who he was related too.

“Yup, I think we have class now. He doesn’t like it when someone skips, or so I’ve heard,” Harry said easily.

Hermione stared at the other boy in shock. Why was he talking to her? She was Gryffindor and a muggleborn. She knew he knew that, but yet here he was. She couldn’t understand how a friend of Draco’s was talking to her. She shook her head; her brain couldn’t handle any extra stress right now.

“He doesn’t, I’ll probably get detention for not showing up.” She said with a shrug.

“You’re not going to class?” Harry asked in surprise.

“I can’t go back in there,” she admitted softly.

“Why not?” Harry asked.

“Because…it’s the last place we all saw Harry alive,” she admitted. She didn’t stop to think just why she was able to speak about it. She assumed because Draco was there that the oath didn’t take effect. She was too caught up in her grief to realize that she shouldn’t have been able to say anything about that particular day in front of Emerson.

“You knew the boy-who-lived?” Harry asked neutrally.

“He was more than just the boy-who-lived, he was just Harry. My best friend,” Hermione said as her tears returned.

“Hey it’ll be alright,” Harry said kindly, unexpectedly reaching out and hugging her.

“No it won’t, it was nice meeting you Emerson.” Hermione whispered in the hug before pulling away. She gave them a tearful smile before she suddenly took off down the hall and disappeared around the corner.

Draco was looking at the scene emotion clouding his eyes as he watched her go. He wished that’s someone would hug him like that, so he wouldn’t feel so torn up inside. He sniffled once trying to blank his face but he couldn’t. He couldn’t go to class like this; he had already disgraced himself once today. Malfoys didn’t cry, and if Malfoys had to cry they most certainly didn’t do it where people could see them.

Harry watched Hermione run away, his own eyes welling up with tears. He tried to swallow passed the lump in his throat. He schooled his face to one of boredom and turned back towards Draco.

“Why did you call her a Mudblood?” He asked quietly.

“Because that’s what she is,” Draco answered with a scoff.

“Words hurt Draco, I would assume that you of all people would understand that,” Harry said anger flashing in his eyes.

“Why would you assume anything?” Draco asked with a sneer.

“Because when I found you, you were sobbing your heart out on the floor. Crying for a boy who you said wasn’t even your friend. I’m gonna wager that you did something to Harry, and now your grieving. But the sad part about it is you’re not just crying for the dead boy but because you feel like the blame is eating you alive.” Harry said knowingly.

“You don’t know anything, so just shut up.” Draco said angrily. He was angry that the boy had somehow guessed the truth, was it that obvious.

“I know more than you think Draco Malfoy,” Harry replied giving him the Snape glare before walking away. He shook his head; he couldn’t believe that he had honestly thought the boy had changed. He should have known, people can’t change in one day.

But he was wrong, Draco had changed, he was just fighting it every step of the way.

The End.
End Notes:
What did you think? Hope I got my point across.

Flamers go away please, Contructive Critism and spelling checks however totally welcomed :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2798