The Day he was Pushed too Far by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: Unable to deal with the pain and loss he felt during the third task; Harry slowly startes to fall apart,the others around him oblivious to it all. The loneliness continues to eat him up until one day, Harry finally snaps. Who will be there save him now and help him pick up the pieces?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Luna, Neville, Other, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Resorting, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Prompts: Pushed Too Far
Challenges: Pushed Too Far
Series: None
Chapters: 38 Completed: Yes Word count: 76299 Read: 351375 Published: 11 May 2012 Updated: 28 Jun 2014
Chapter 36: I Trust you by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
First off let me apologize for taking forever to update. I had no time to myself..and I could give you a bunch of escuses with school restarting and classes but I wont.

I was trying to make the chapter longer, for obvious reasons I dont want a story with a ton of chapters.

Anywhoo, my story is AU...pretty sure you knew that. For the sake of the story, Horcruxes and what not are being discussed here. Albus has told Severus, and leave it at that. Oh one more thing, I'm not making Sirius and Remus the bad guys sheesh, Sirius is hotheaded, but he does use his brain on occasion and he will this chapter. I think thats it, on to the story :)

 “That doesn’t make any sense,” Sirius said in confusion and annoyance at the answer. “How can she hurt herself?”

Remus stilled; all too aware of how one could hurt one’s self. He turned his gaze towards the brown haired girl and sighed softly before looking to Harry.  He shifted his gaze to Severus, seeing the wariness in his eyes, not to mention the fatigue in his body.

Hermione sighed softly; leave it to Blaise to tell everyone. She knew Emerson had comforted her and that he was unbiased but she didn’t know why he was like that. She could see that the boy was staring so hard at her that it got to the point where she felt like he was examining her like Snape looked at a potion. It intrigued and unnerved her at the same time, and she wanted to put a stop to it.  

“Stop staring at me,” she murmured before burying her head in Blaise’s chest.

“I’m sorry,” he said his voice filled with regret, as he turned away from her.

She shrugged; staring at her wasn’t really a crime. She couldn’t understand why he sounded so sad, but she didn’t dwell on it. She couldn’t even bring herself to care that Sirius had stupidly given himself away. Harry was gone, what was the point. She hadn’t seen Ron in two days, she was basically friendless. Blaise was keeping her afloat, and she was afraid that he was dumping her on Snape for good.

“Sirius, Remus, I think it’s best if you leave now,” Harry said firmly.

“We’re not going anywhere, not until we get some answers,” Sirius said angrily.

“This doesn’t concern you in the slightest mutt,” Severus said, his eyes flashing.

“Like hell it doesn’t, you’re holding my godson hostage…” that was as far as Sirius got because Harry had stunned him.

“Get out,” Harry said nearly growling to the point where Severus had turned to look at him in shock, and pride.

“H-Emerson, Sirius didn’t mean any harm you know that,” Remus said as he lifted up his stunned friend.

“Leave,” Harry said tiredly his wand turning to Remus.

“We’re gone, but we will be having words,” Remus promised before flooing out of there.

Harry took a seat and dropped his head in his hands.

“Emerson?” Severus said softly.

“I’m fine,” Harry replied automatically.

“You’re not, why don’t you go lie down for a bit?” Severus asked, barely able to hold in a wince.

“Neville’s still sleeping,” Harry said wearily.

“Go in my room them,” Severus said.

Hermione looked up carefully, turning her eyes to the two Slytherins conversing. Had they just said that Neville was here? What was going on?

“Neville’s here?” Hermione asked in shock.

“Yes, but why he’s here, is the same reason why you’re here,” Severus said, warding off any questions.

“Oh, we’re both messed up huh?” She murmured before turning back into Blaise’s chest.

“No, but you’re both struggling to deal with your emotions properly. That is where I come in,” Severus explained softly.

As he moved to take a seat, he nearly blacked out from the pain coursing through his body. He hissed in pain, and one glance showed that while Blaise was busy with Hermione, Harry had seen it.

“You’re hurt,” he said, it wasn’t a question.

“I just need my potions, I haven’t had the chance to take them,” Severus whispered through gritted teeth.

“We’ll be right back,” Harry said with a frown, as he turned towards the students on the couch.

“And we’ll still be here,” Blaise said quietly as he held Hermione who was starting to drift off to sleep. He turned his eyes towards the girl, knowing that something was going on with his Professor. He knew like every other Slytherin that the man was a death eater, and he would pretend he never saw a thing; if it came down to it.

“Uncle Severus, come on,” Harry said, moving the man’s arm around his shoulder.

“Emerson, I’m not an invalid,” Severus hissed out angry before trying to shake the boy off.

“I know, but I’m trying to help,” Harry said softly, quickly moving away from the man.

Severus sighed, before shaking his head. Harry was sensitive, he knew that. That wasn’t even mentioning that the boy liked to feel needed, and for some odd reason liked to help people. Sighing inwardly he looked towards the boy, whose expression was starting to resemble a kicked puppy.

“I know child, and you are helping me.” Severus said gently, noticing Harry’s expression lift a bit.

Severus stood up, and grimaced inwardly before reaching his arm out to Harry who eagerly hurried towards him to help. He walked normal until they got out of sight of his Slytherin before Severus wobbled and had to lean against the wall for support. He knew before looking up at the child in front of him that he was starting to panic.

“Relax Emerson, I’m alright,” Severus said gently.

“You don’t look it,” Harry replied with a frown.

“I am,” Severus repeated before taking a deep breath and pushed off the wall.

He kept his face neutral even as his body was screaming at him for the abuse, he felt like he might collapse at any moment, but he knew he had to fight through it. It wouldn’t do for Harry to witness such a thing; he had to be strong for him, and all the children in his flat. He made it to his lab and fell into the closest chair, his hands trembling uncontrollably.

“What do you need?” Harry asked worriedly.

“There is a kit, in my bottom left desk drawer. Get it and bring it to me,” Severus moaned out.

Harry nodded hurrying to do just that, grabbing the kit and rushing back to Severus.

“Now what?” Harry asked anxiously.

“Drink the blue potion,” Severus said calmly.

“I don’t need any bloody potions, you do,” Harry said his voice rising in anger.

“You need to calm down,” Severus said firmly as held out the blue vial.

Harry huffed but he took the potion and gulped it down, calming down immediately.

Severus sighed before grabbing the potion that helped with his nerves from the cruciatus curse with audible relief. He took the rest of his usual potions and turned to look at Harry with a weary sigh.

“I’m sorry, I need to go,” Harry said quietly. He hadn’t meant to freak out; he just didn’t like it when Snape was hurt. He didn’t want to think about what Voldemort was planning, he didn’t want the man to endanger his life like that.

“Go where? You’re not going anywhere,” Severus said grabbing his arm before standing up.

“I want…I need to take a walk. I need to clear my head,” Harry said softly.

“No what you need is to come with me; I need to talk to you. But at the moment, I need to see what is going on with Miss Granger’s and Mr. Zabini.” Severus explained firmly.

“What is there to explain? She’s hurting herself because of me,” Harry said sadly. “They’re all hurting because of me, this is my entire fault.”

“Honestly child, have you always been so dramatic? This is not your fault, “Severus said with a no nonsense tone.

“What do you mean this isn’t my fault? If I hadn’t died, then she wouldn’t be doing this,” Harry pointed out. She’s hurting herself because of me,” Harry repeated sadly.

“No she’s hurting herself, because she feels so out of control. She cannot handle the feeling of being alone, not to mention her grief. She doesn’t want to hurt anyone accidentally, so she’s taking it out on the only person who she feels is to blame for that; herself.” Severus said sternly.

“And what of Neville then?” Harry asked.

“Longbottom, he lost his friend at a crucial point in his life. He would be able to handle it, but his life has been just as hard as yours if not harder. He is known for the achievements of his father as you are, and he is said to be a disappointment. I can see Longbottom’s depression, I’m just trying to understand how I didn’t see yours,” Severus said with a shake of his head.

“You didn’t see it because you weren’t looking for it. Not to mention I was a snake in lion’s clothing after all. Why do you think I was so sure I was going to get sorted into Slytherin?” Harry said with a look.

Severus didn’t reply to that because the child had once again spoken the truth. If he hadn’t been so blind with his hate at all things James Potter he would have known. He could have saved him before he decided to do something this drastic.

“It’s alright though, you’re helping me now,” Harry replied softly as he took in Snape’s pensive look.

“I am, but it’s not enough,” Severus replied before shaking his head and making his way out the lab. With his arm holding onto Harry the boy had no choice but to follow.

Severus took a seat on the couch across from his two student’s pulling Harry down next to him.

“Would one of you care to enlighten me when all of this started?” Severus asked calmly.

Blaise took a glance at Hermione before taking a breath and explaining everything. He told his head of house how it all started and what she seemed to believe. He had remorse in his tone, because he was blaming himself for not being able to be there for her when she needed him. When he had finished he looked only at Snape, aware that Emery wasn’t looking at either of them.

“This worries me Miss Granger,” Severus replied carefully.

Hermione looked at him with dull eyes before shrugging, what was there to say?

“It worries me too,” Blaise replied softly.

“Does it Mr. Zabini? And why would this worry you?” Severus asked. He wasn’t trying to be mean; he needed to see where the boy stood.

“Because she’s my friend, at least I’d like to think so. Right Mione?” Blaise asked softly.

“Right, I need him,” She whispered out, before turning her face back into his chest at having admitted such a weakness.

“Alright here is what we are going to do,” Severus said with a sigh.

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Sirius was currently pacing the floor in the sitting room of his mother’s old house. Her portrait had been yelling for a few minutes before he found himself yelling back at her. It wasn’t anything unusual only this time, he called her the same foul names she called him, and she shut up. At the moment he was thinking hard on what Harry had said. He was hotheaded and tended to rush in without thinking he knew that, and he could see just what he did back there at Snape’s.

He wouldn’t pretend that he understood just what Harry was doing because he didn’t. But a part of him recognized that continuing to treat his godson would only alienate him further and he would lose him. He didn’t want that, Harry was the only thing keeping him from going crazy. He flopped down on the couch, hating that Snape and Moony were right. He shook his head before covering his face with his arm.

“What do I do now?” Sirius asked tiredly.

“We’ll apologize first off, and then we’ll go from there,” Remus replied easily.

“And what if he won’t forgive me? What if Snape turns him against us?” Sirius asked worriedly.

“That won’t happen,” Remus said firmly.

“How do you know that?” Sirius asked softly.

“Because if Harry can find it in his heart to forgive what Severus has done to him, then he will most certainly forgive you. At the moment though, you were seen by one of the students,” Remus said frowning.

“I know, that wasn’t the bed idea. Do you think he’ll talk?” Sirius asked worriedly.

“No, Severus will keep him in check,” Remus said confidently.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Severus sighed softly once more, feeling more his age every day. He had just dismissed his two students not too long ago after about an hour or so of conversation. He didn’t want to pressure them and make the girl crack anymore then what she had already. He ran a hand through his hair as he glanced at Harry who had been quiet for the entire time.

“Everyone copes with grief differently,” Severus murmured as he took a seat.

“Yeah, well couldn’t she choose a better way to do it? I hate that this is my fault. I should have been stronger, everyone knows life isn’t fair. Everyone struggles, I should have carried on as if nothing mattered,” Harry said wearily.

“And then what, when you finally snapped, what would have happened. More devastation then what happened now,” Severus said quietly. “We should have been there for you. I should not have been so blind.”

“It doesn’t matter because it’s too late now,” Harry said sighing.

“It’s never too late,” Severus replied.

“So what are you saying I could go back to being me anytime I wanted?” Harry asked in disbelief.

“Not exactly, as you now resemble me I don’t think anyone would believe you. You will not have to hide forever Emerson, but for the time being I think this will do you some good.” Severus said thoughtfully.

“How so? How is this going to help anyone? Is the Dark Lord going to stop?” Harry asked sarcastically before jumping up with a yelp. He glared angrily at the man across from him.

Severus calmly tucked away his wand as he stared at the younger wizard with an unreadable gaze.

“What did you do that for?” Harry asked in annoyance as he rubbed at his thigh where the stinging hex had hit.

“I’ve asked you not to call him that, and yet you live to annoy me. Call him by his name Emerson, but never that one. You are not nor will you ever become a death eater,” Severus said with his eyes glittering.

“But I’m a Slytherin; to call him by his name would be disrespectful. They would skin me alive,” Harry said softly.

“I know, but I meant with me or any of your friends, or the Order.” Severus replied.

“Fine,” Harry said shrugging.

“He’s knows I’m dead though right?” Harry asked after a moment.

“That he does,” Severus answered.

“So what does this mean?” Harry murmured.

“It means you have a bit of time to heal, and we have time to plan.” Severus said with a sigh.

“Plan for what?” Harry mumbled curiously.

“To defeat him, Because of him you were forced to make decisions that you wouldn’t normally have. Because of him you are parentless and were raised by those baboons. I will do everything in my power to make this world safe for you Harry.” Severus said with conviction.

“I’m not Harry anymore remember?” Harry said quietly.

“You will always be Harry James Potter, for that is the name your parents gave you. I would never try to take away that right. But for the moment, you are being known as Emerson James Prince until we can figure out a way for him to die.” Severus explained.

“What if he doesn’t die? He keeps coming back I mean,” Harry groaned, at the helplessness he felt at the whole situation.

“I cannot afford to think like that, and neither can you. I will not allow you to sink back into that black hole that you were once in. You will grasp the will to live once more have no doubt about that.” Severus said sternly.

“How do you know?” Harry asked weakly.

“Because though you had your father’s spirit, you have always had your mother’s heart, and she never took no for an answer,” Severus said fondly.

“Alright, so what’s the plan then?” Harry asked after a moment of silence.

“Have you ever heard of Horcruxes Harry?” Severus asked after a moment of hesitation.

The End.
End Notes:
Heres to hoping the next update will be speedy :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2798