The Wedding by Saphire_Rose
Summary: Another bet and this time Minerva McGonagall is determined to win, even going so far as to enlist the help of her opponant's sons.

Entry in the 2012 Prompt Fest. Prompts: Time Was Running Out. How do you wear these things?
Categories: Fic Fests > #14 Prompt Fest 2012, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Original Character, Percy, Pomfrey, Remus, Sirius, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind
Genres: Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 15203 Read: 15898 Published: 19 May 2012 Updated: 19 May 2012
Chapter 3 by Saphire_Rose

Doom Day

The two weeks leading up to the wedding were rather peaceful and almost incident free. Almost, the Thursday before found Harry and Draco in the Snape quarters before breakfast. Severus had thought that Harry had had a nightmare and rather than keep his dorm mates awake had slept the rest of the night in his own bed. He also thought that since Draco seemed to know when the horrible dreams took place he had come to comfort his brother.

The boys had in fact been up half the night with the Weasley twins making plans about how best to display the pictures Professor McGonagall was going to give them. This made for two rather short tempered, cranky teens that spent most of the morning sniping and snarling at each other. For the most part Severus ignored it. There had an admonishment for language and several ‘will you two stop it’ pleas. It was when they were almost ready to head up to the Great Hall that things became physical. Snape put a quick stop to the shoving and sent each boy on his way with a stinging smack across his backside and dire threats about any reports of bad behaviour and the consequences ringing in their ears.

***

Saturday dawned bright and clear, despite Severus Snape’s unhappy mood. He really should learn not to bet with Minerva. If he really thought about it either way he was doomed. What had been thinking challenging her to attend the costume ball? He moved through his usual Saturday morning routine followed by a leisurely breakfast with his boys that Harry always cooked. Today it had been blueberry pancakes topped with sliced banana and whipped cream. “You need to keep up your sugar Dad, there’s bound to be dancing,” Harry said mischievously.

“Beside you don’t know what they’re having for dinner,” Draco chimed, “If they’re going traditional it could be haggis.”

Severus groaned he hadn’t thought of dancing or food. It was one thing to ‘play’ with disgusting animal bits but to eat them, shudder.

“I ought to assign you two a detention with Filch while I’m out this evening,” Severus groused.

“Daaaaaaad,” both teens wailed.

Snape just raised an eyebrow and smirked.

***

Minerva had decided to wear her usual robes to her brother’s house and dress there. She didn’t want Severus to know what tartan she had chosen for them. She had been hinting all week at the bright reds, oranges, yellows and purples that made up some tartans. She even had some swatches on hand and would show them to people when he was around. She had decided she would forgo her usual tight bun and allow her natural curls to have their way.

As she sipped her mid-morning tea she wondered if her honourary nephews had let slip about dancing and haggis. She wasn’t too surprised at the knock on her door or the two excited teens that just had to tell her how green their father was looking when they left earlier. She congratulated both of them and gave them some shortbread she had made the night before.

The arrival of the wedding gifts, a series of hand carved wooden shortbread molds, with yesterday’s mail had made her nostalgic for some homemade shortbread so she invaded the kitchens. The elves had been fascinated watching her make the dough by hand. She had more than enough for them to sample and to fill her tin.

At a quarter to two she made her way to Albus’ office. The wedding was at three and they would have plenty of time to dress and walk with the family to the village Kirk. The groom, the best man and his attendants were staying in the village inn and would walk over from there.  The bride and her attendants would be arriving by horse and carriage.

Severus was waiting for her and after giving him the address she stepped into the floo. They had decided it would be best if she went first since it was her brother’s house and he had not met Snape.

***

A mountain of a man had Minerva in a bone crushing hug as Severus stepped out of the floo. A breathless Minerva introduced her brother as Laird Douglas McGonagall before she left the room to find her nieces and nephews. Snape could see a resemblance between the six foot five Scot and his sister. Douglas was more jovial than Minerva but the man didn’t teach children all day.

“How about a wee dram or two before we get ye dressed?” Douglas suggested.

Severus readily agreed and was pleased to see that the burly Scotsman had muggle, Chivas Regal, Glenfiddich and wizarding, Ogden’s, scotch. The first dram went down fast and they sipped the second. “How did the ol’ tabby rope ye into this?” Douglas asked.

“We bet on a Quidditch game. If I lost I came here, if she lost she was to go to a costume ball with me,” Severus replied.

“You’re a Potions Master aren’t ye?”

“Yes.”

“I ken which ball ye’re talking about then. One of the lasses was talking about it. Be almost worth a bottle or two of my finest to see Min dressed that way. Best we get ye ready lad. This way.”

Laird McGonagall led Snape to a small guest room. Severus eyes immediately went to the valet stand in the corner. He sighed with relief when he saw the dark plaid hanging there. The other man had been watching his gaze. “She’s been teasing ye all week hasn’t she?”

“Yes. She kept showing bright swatches of cloth to people.”

 “Nothing bright about the Blackwatch.

Severus walked over to the valet to get a better look at the clothes and accessories there. “How do you wear these things?” he said holding up what looked like looped ribbons with strips of elastic running through them and metal fasteners in the end.

Douglas laughed at the look of dismay on Snape’s face, “There the flashes. I’ll leave ye to get the shirt and kilt hose, the things that look like remarkably like socks, on. I’ll help with the rest when ye’re ready.”

“Umm… what about underneath?” Severus asked turning bright red.

“Whatever ye are comfortable with lad. For things like this I usually wear briefs but if the wool is likely to itch yer skin then boxers are fine. Ye’re welcome to carry ye wand but try not to let it be seen”

“I have a wrist holster it should fit under the shirt sleeve.”

Snape was left alone to undress. Taking Minerva’s gift out of pocket he placed it on the accessory tray of the valet. He cast a freshening charm and tied his hair at the nape of his beck using a leather thong. He put his white, wing-collar shirt, cufflinks and hose on. He even managed the bow tie before Douglas knocked on the door and was given leave to enter.

“Take a seat over here Severus; we’ll do the flashes and Ghillie brogues first.”

Severus watched as Douglas positioned the flashes to the outside of his lower legs a couple of inches below the knees then folded down the tops of the hose. The brogues were laced to the front with a high tie that reminded Snape of ballet dancers. The kilt was next and it felt heavy about his waist, “What do ye expect for eight yards of eighteen ounce wool fabric?” Douglas asked when Snape commented on it. The sporran was placed and the Potions Master noted the Celtic pattern on it. He was told that Minerva had got a matching set. Kilt pin in place, Prince Charles jacket and vest on. The final touch had been the sgian dubh neatly tucked into the right hose above the flashes.

“Take a look laddie,” the Laird said indicating the full length mirror across the room. Reluctantly Snape had to admit he did look good and his knees weren’t too noticeable. He just might be able to forgive Minerva for this after all.

 

The Wedding

The two gentlemen made their way to the front parlour where Minerva was waiting. She was wearing a Blackwatch ankle length hostess skirt, white jabot blouse, that had Severus grinning at the lace ruffle, and sash in matching tartan. Her hair was cascading gently down her back, soft ringlet had formed of their own accord.

Severus bowed to Minerva and complimented her on her attire before offering his arm. With Laird McGonagall in the lead and other family members following they made their way across country to the village Kirk. It was an old blue stone building with lead light windows. Inside was a high exposed beam ceiling and wooden pews with tartan bows on each end. The carved wooden alter and pedestals were adorned with fresh arrangements of heather and wild flowers.

Severus and Minerva were seated in the front pew on the left hand side with Douglas and the groom’s parents. The rest of their little entourage were seated in the pews behind. The Kirk filled slowly and there were many happy voices as family and friends greeted each other. Severus was introduced to a lot of them by either Douglas or Minerva.

The groom and his men entered from the right transept and took their places before the alter. Severus noted that they wore the same tartan as Douglas. The minister emerged from the vestry and started talking with the soon to be husband. When everything seemed to be ready a young man escorted the Mother of the Bride to her seat. Music began to play and the congregation rose. The smallest attendants, a flower girl and page boy, entered first with people ooing and ahhing over how cute they looked. Both children appeared to be ready to run away. The junior bridesmaid was chivvying them along. Two more maids walked the aisle side by side. They were followed by a young lady on her own who Severus guessed was the Matron of Honour.

Mendelssohn's ‘Wedding March’ began to play and the bride entered on her father’s arm. Severus wasn’t one for sentimentality but even he had to admit the bride looked beautiful in her long white gown. It had a sweet heart neckline, fitted bodice and sleeves. The skirt was full, hooped and layered; the top layer had ruches that revealed the layer below, where the swag formed bows had been added. The train had ruches as well. Delicate lace trimmed her cathedral length veil and finger tip blusher. Her bouquet matched the flowers that adorned the Kirk. As she passed he could see her brunette curls cascading down her back.

The actual service seemed to take no time at all, the benediction, readings, prayers and vows were all simple and flowed with an easy grace. As the bridal party retired into the vestry for the signing of the registry Minerva excused herself and made her way to the left transept. She returned a few moments later carrying a swath of tartan and an elaborate silver broach. The elderly witch explained to him that it was tradition within their family that the Laird’s wife presented the incoming females with the clan colours but since Douglas’ wife had passed beyond the veil she would be doing the honours.

The vestry door opened, the minister emerged followed by the newlyweds and their attendants. The minister introduced them to the congregation as Mr. and Mrs. McGonagall. The young couple made their way to where Douglas and Minerva stood waiting for them. The groom bowed respectfully and presented his bride. The young lady curtsied, then stood still as Minerva with the help of the Matron of Honour looped the tartan sash over the woman’s left shoulder and secured it with the broach at her right hip. She quietly congratulated the couple then stepped back.

Music played again as the newlyweds and their party made their way down the aisle to the doors. Douglas walked with the bride’s parents, Minerva, Snape and family following. The bridal party and family gathered in various groups for official and unofficial photos to be taken. Severus tried to be a good sport about the whole thing. He was very relieved when the bridal party took their leave to another location for more photos.

The McGonagalls and Snape made their way to Douglas’ manor. “We’ll take the car into the village later for the reception. It’ll be too cold to walk back later,” Douglas said.

“It was a lovely ceremony Dougie. They should be very happy together,” Minerva said.

“Aye. They’re going to have a wizarding ceremony too. This was mostly for her family, those that don’t know about Donald’s other life as they put it.”

“Did you pay attention Severus? Only a matter of time before it’ll be your boys standing at the alter,” Minerva teased.

“Leave the poor lad alone Minnie. Haven’t ye terrorised him enough already.”

“Hopefully they’ll wait a little while after graduating before they take that step,” Snape said quietly. Minerva’s words had shaken him. In four short years his new found sons would be old enough to wed and leave him. He didn’t want to think about that, not at all.

 

While the cat er bat’s away…

Harry and Draco were enjoying their ‘freedom’. The Potions Master hadn’t forbidden them from being in their quarters nor had the Headmaster. In fact Albus had been rather instrumental in orchestrating the little get-together that he thought was taking place down there.

As soon as McGonagall and Snape had flooed away Albus had a house elf bring Harry and Draco to his office. Both teens had been rather nervous and were trying to work out what they had done. The Headmaster quickly reassured them that they were not in trouble. “It will be a few hours before your father returns and I thought you two might enjoy having a little get-together with your friends in your quarters,” he told them.

“Like a party?” Harry asked sceptically.

“Yes. Your father didn’t forbid any such thing did he?”

“No he didn’t,” Draco said smiling.

“What do we do for food and drinks?” the green eyed teen asked.

“Oh I’ll have the house elves prepare something and I’ll get them to charm the rooms so nothing can be broken,” Albus said his eyes twinkling.

It didn’t take much more for Harry and Draco to be convinced that it was a good idea. They agreed to keep it to only people in their year level and then thought that it would be easier to just have the Slytherins and Gryffindors. They had been getting along better since Harry’s adoption and even more so since Draco’s.

Amazingly the students were having a wonderful time. Dumbledore had the elves checkup them under the guise of replenishing the refreshments. Neither Severus nor Minerva would forgive him if anything untoward should happen.

The girls had spent a lot of the time talking about fashions and beauty interspersed with gossip about who was dating who in the castle. The boys focused mostly on Quidditch and it was while they were chatting that Harry and Draco told them about the bet. The girls of course stopped their chatter to listen. They were all sworn to secrecy and promised first viewing of the video if Minerva got a copy.

The Snape boys were quite happy to tell them what their father had wagered and even retrieved one of the catalogues he had gotten for Minerva. Hermione’s explanation of a vamp hadn’t made a lot of sense but the pictures did. The boys whistled and catcalled at the images while the girls comment on the cuts, styles and colours of the clothes.

The images had made the boys a little rowdy and the girls using their better judgement decided to leave. Once they were gone Seamus and Dean asked if there was any firewhiskey in the quarters. Draco and Harry both knew there was some but they weren’t so keen on sharing it around, somehow they didn’t think Severus would be very understanding.

Thinking quickly Draco suggested they go out to the Quidditch pitch and fly around for a while. Neville was a bit hesitant but Harry and Draco managed to convince that he could use the extra flying time. The crisis was diverted when the others readily agreed. Harry asked Dobby to go to both dorms and bring back jackets, gloves, hats and brooms. The little elf was more than happy to help Harry Potter Sir. He disappeared and returned a few minutes later with everything the boy had asked for. Dobby had even managed to find extra brooms.

The boys let themselves out through one of the not so secret doors from the dungeons. Rather than walk to the pitch they flew making the most of the almost full moon that lit up the night sky. They stayed low to ground to put Neville at ease. The gates to the pitch were locked but that didn’t stop them. With the Snape boys flanking Neville they rose above the walls and over them. Once they were on the other side Draco suggested they stay low so as not to be seen from the castle.  For a while they did just that until the temptation to show off tricks and moves became too great. Neville wisely chose to sit in the stands and watch. The boys were so engrossed in what they were doing that they lost track of time. Crabbe and Goyle joined Neville in the stands when they became bored. As time moved on the three watchers fell asleep.

 

Anything But Haggis

While the boys were enjoying themselves their father was dreading the evening meal. Neither Douglas nor Minerva had let on about what was on the menu. They had enjoyed a quiet afternoon tea back at the manor. Both men had wanted something stronger but Minerva told them there would be time for that later.

Douglas announced that it was time to return to the village and that he would meet the others at the garage. Minerva went to the powder room and Severus returned to the room he had dressed in and removed a few potions from his robes that he tucked into his sporran, one of them was a stomach soother.

When they joined the Laird at the garage Severus was rather surprised at how many cars Douglas had housed there.  Apart from the Land Rover and a small town car the rest were much older and seemed to be in almost pristine condition. He did chuckle at the sight of the barouche down the far end. “We take her out in the summer,” Douglas offered when he saw what Severus was looking at, “Have a fine pair Windsor Greys to pull it.”

The older wizard decided they should take the 1929 Ford Model A Saloon car. Minerva commented on the deep plum and black paintwork and Snape found the butter-soft, dark cream leather interior was inviting. The drive to the reception venue was rather quick and Severus soon found himself deposited at a table with a rather pretty young lady. The McGonagall siblings had both excused themselves to check on things.

The young lady turned to Severus and introduced herself as Maggie McGonagall. “Severus Snape,” he responded offering his hand. He started at the small wave of magic that washed over him.

“I cast a silencing charm,” Maggie told him, “Severus Snape as in the Severus Snape, Potions Master Extraordinaire?”

“Yes,” Snape said quietly not at sure as to how to react to the woman’s enthusiasm.

“Aunt Minnie never said she worked with you. I have long been an admirer of you work. I also enjoy reading your articles and your rather caustic comments when someone writes something that is wrong or misleading,” Maggie babbled.

“You read my articles?” Severus asked surprised.

“Oh I’m sorry. Please allow me to formally introduce myself Master Snape, Margaret McBride Potions Mistress.”

Severus Snape, king of sarcasm, prince of biting wit was speechless. The tanned, brown eyed, honey blond woman sitting next to him was one of the few Guild members whose endeavours he followed. He had long wanted to meet with her and discuss some theories he had about her work.

“Master Snape?”

Snape blinked, “My apologies. I’ve been following your work too. In fact I was going to propose setting aside time this summer to meet with you. I have a letter stating just that sitting on my desk. I was going to mail it in the morning.”

“That would be wonderful and please do. Hopefully our schedules will be compatible.”

“You would be the one Douglas so casually referred to earlier.”

“I don’t follow.”

Severus quickly explained about the bet and the earlier comment from the Laird. Margaret or Maggie as she insisted he call her laughed at her aunt’s audacity. Feeling somewhat comfortable he also told her about the teasing. “Ach ye have naught to worry about with the haggis. They even have vegetarian ones these days and the casings are similar to the ones the butchers use for sausages.”

“Just you wait ‘til the next time you tipple a little too much scotch Minerva McGonagall, I’m going to withhold the hangover potion and make you face Poppy,” Snape growled causing Maggie to laugh.

“Da’s retuning, best I cancel the charm,” the witch said looking at Douglas as he walked towards them.

“Keep my new found haggis knowledge a secret,” Severus whispered. Maggie smiled and nodded.

“Min will be back soon,” Douglas said as he took his seat, “The newlyweds have arrived and should be entering soon.”

Minerva joined them just as the Master of Ceremonies took the floor. He introduced the bridal party as they entered and took their seats. Within minutes waiting staff began circulating serving an entrée. Severus and Maggie opted for the king prawn salad, with Douglas and Minerva choosing the chicken and mushroom consommé. The wait staff also took down everyone’s main meal preference. Snape smirked at his co-worker and promptly ordered the haggis.

Not one to let an opportunity pass when they had finished their course Severus started talking to Maggie about potions ingredients knowing full well Minerva would catch enough of the conversation. For her part Maggie was quick to realise what he was up to and happily joined in. They disgust the best way to harvest stink sap and bubotuber pus. The most efficient way to harvest certain animals and get the most parts off of them. Snape heard Minerva moan and turned his attention to her.

“Are you alright Minerva?” he asked in a soft concerned voice.

She glared at him, “You know exactly what your little chat with Maggie has done to me.”

“Yes the same as yours regarding a certain delicacy did to me,” he smirked.

“It was childish I admit but it was fun seeing you squirm.”

Severus discretely handed her a vial of stomach soother. “I’ve had my fun and if I take you home ill I’ll never hear the end of it from the Dragon Lady or the twinkling fool.

Pocketing the vial Minerva stood up but before leaving she quickly leant down and kissed Snape on the cheek, “You’re not such a bad lad.”

Minerva returned in time for the main course. Whilst the room was relatively quiet speeches we given and telegrams read. The cake was cut and the bridal couple had their first dance together. For the second song they were joined by the bridal party couple’s parents. Severus admired the way Douglas and Minerva danced so well together. Maggie organised for a round of drinks to be waiting when they returned.

Brother and sister were slightly flushed and rather breathless when they sat down. “Thanks lass,” Laird McGonagall said raising his glass to Maggie.

“Ye’re welcome Da.”

Severus couldn’t tell you where the rest of the night went. He remembered dessert was a rich chocolate cake with white royal icing and sugar flowers. He realised it was the wedding cake and agreed with Maggie that it was a good idea to serve it as dessert. He remembered a couple of weddings he had gone to as a child with his mother. The cake had been of the heavy fruit variety with almond paste and a thick layer of almost hard icing that had so much sugar it hurt your teeth.

He knew he danced with Minerva at least once and Maggie several times. He also vaguely recalled the McGonagall lads getting him out on the floor and trying to teach him some highland dance steps. He was loath to admit that he had thoroughly enjoyed himself but he had thanks to one Margaret ‘Maggie’ McBride.

As things wound down and the new husband and wife prepared to leave Severus thoughts turned to his boys. He hoped they were behaving themselves. Albus had assured him they would be fine and really they should be but he knew the Headmaster like to play the over indulgent grandfather when he the chance arose.

“What are ye thinking about lad?” Douglas asked.

“The three brats I left at home,” Snape answered.

“Three? I thought you said you had two sons,” Maggie said.

“He does but we left Albus in charge and he’s too fond of letting the boys have what he calls ‘harmless fun’,” Minerva informed her.

“Wheesht now won’t do you any good frettin’ about it. You’ll be home soon enough,” Douglas said clapping him on the back rather hard.

They followed the young couple and waved them off. Other said their farewells too and left for their homes or accommodation houses. The McGonagall lads had been charged with setting the hall to rights once everyone had left. By waiting until the building was clear of muggles they could use magic to clean. “Da, Severus and I are going to walk back,” Maggie said grabbing Snape’s hand and heading for the path to the manor.

Severus wasn’t worried that there might be some burly Scotsman waiting to knock his block off for being with his wife. He had heard of the tragic loss of Maggie’s husband to a potions accident nearly three years prior. When they were out of sight Severus drew his wand and cast a warming charm on himself and Maggie.

***

Minerva couldn’t believe her luck when Maggie had grabbed Severus hand and disappeared with him. She would be able to hide her ‘goodies’ from him easier. She had entrusted Albus’ camera to one of her nephews. Another had managed to get an unedited copy of the wedding video for her. He assured her it had footage from the manor, the church and the reception, especially them trying to teach Severus to dance. She told them there would be a small gift waiting for them at home.

The drive back to the manor was just as quick as the earlier one had been. Before going inside the witch took the time to conjure a protronus and send it to the Snape boys.


The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2810