The Wedding by Saphire_Rose
Summary: Another bet and this time Minerva McGonagall is determined to win, even going so far as to enlist the help of her opponant's sons.

Entry in the 2012 Prompt Fest. Prompts: Time Was Running Out. How do you wear these things?
Categories: Fic Fests > #14 Prompt Fest 2012, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Original Character, Percy, Pomfrey, Remus, Sirius, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind
Genres: Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 15203 Read: 15898 Published: 19 May 2012 Updated: 19 May 2012
Story Notes:
Harry Potter et al belong to the wonderful JK Rowling.
This story follows on from 'The Bet' but you do not need to read that one first.
 Thank you to my son for lending me his beta skills.

1. Chapter 1 by Saphire_Rose

2. Chapter 2 by Saphire_Rose

3. Chapter 3 by Saphire_Rose

4. Chapter 4 by Saphire_Rose

Chapter 1 by Saphire_Rose

 

The Invite

Minerva McGonagall looked down at the piece of parchment on her desk. It wasn’t an ordinary piece of paper no this was a much awaited invite to her favourite great nephew’s wedding. She had every intention of attending but she was determined she wouldn’t be going alone. Her nephew was muggle and was marrying a muggle girl so she needed to find someone who was comfortable around them and who wouldn’t frown too much upon the traditional wedding the two were planning. She knew that Severus Snape would accompany her if she asked, but at the same time she knew he would refuse to wear a kilt and all its accoutrements.

She had an ace up her sleeve so to speak. There was a Gryffindor/Slytherin Quidditch match coming up and she planned on wagering on it as usual. She also knew that as underhanded as it was she had to enlist the help of two thirteen year olds. The same two she was certain had tipped off every student with a camera that Severus had lost the bet before Halloween the year before. She just hoped they would all survive the fallout once a certain dungeon bat worked out he had been duped.

Minerva glanced at the clock on the wall. Time was running out. She scribbled a short note for a certain messy haired boy and to be delivered before his next class. As the ink was drying she called for a house elf and gave it very strict instructions to give Mr. Potter the note, no-one else. The elf ‘popped’ out and she got ready for her next class, third year Gryffindor and Slytherin.

 

The Note

Harry started a little when a soft ‘pop’ announced the arrival of an elf. The little creature was trying hard not bounce on the spot since it was in the presence of Dobby’s Harry as most of them called him. The elf was aware of those around the boy and respectfully asked for a quite word with Mr. Harry Potter Sir. The boy asked his friends to wait and walked off a little ways with the creature. The note was passed and the elf disappeared. Carefully the teen unfolded the parchment.

Harry,

I don’t care how you do it but I want you to cause an upset between you and your ‘brother’ in my class. It must be something that will warrant a ‘detention’.

Don’t tell anyone that I have asked you to do this. Destroy the note,

MM

Harry cast a quick Incendio and watched the paper burn. Taking care to crumble what was left and scatter it before turning to his friends.

“What was that about Harry?” Hermione asked.

Thinking quickly, “A note from ferret face about Quidditch,” he responded, “He reckons he’s going to push me off my broom so that I end up in the mud.”

“As if,” Ron snorted, “We have to get to class. Don’t need to tick off ‘ol McGonagall.”

The three friends made their way to Transfiguration class and lined up with the rest of their classmates. Harry was watching out for Malfoy and once he saw the blond acknowledge him he passed on a message.

Flanked by his ‘bodyguards,’ Draco Malfoy approached the line of Gryffindors. He made eye contact with his godbrother and was surprised by the message he got back. ‘Follow my lead.’ A subtle nod was his only response. He knew that Harry would explain things to him privately later.

“Thanks for the note Malfoy but you haven’t got a chance of knocking me off my broom next game,” Harry said none too quietly.

“Whatever Potter,” Malfoy snarled.

“It’ll be you who ends up in the mud looking like a tar baby.”

“A what?”

“A tar baby, can’t you read. Oh I forgot the pureblood Prince of Slytherin isn’t allowed to read muggle books,” Harry taunted.

“I can so,” Draco shot back indignantly.

“Can what? Read?” Sniggers from those watching and waiting.

“Read muggle books, just…”

“Just not where Daddy can see you. What will he do Malfoy, spank your bare tushy?”

Draco understood the hidden message and he made for his wand the same time Harry did. It was perfect timing for McGonagall chose that moment to open the classroom door. “Mr. Potter, Mr. Malfoy what is the meaning of this?” she demanded.

The pair looked at her, looked at each other, then back at her. “He started it,” they said in unison.

“I don’t care who started it. Detention, both of you, my office, tonight, seven sharp.”

“Yes Professor.”

Minerva stood aside and ushered her students through the door.  They made their way into the room and took their seats as Minerva walked to the front of the class. The rest of the lesson passed quietly and soon enough it was over.

 

Swats or Lines

Harry made his way to the Gryffindor common room then used the floo to his father’s rooms. He only had to wait a few minutes for Draco. They would have about half an hour before Severus would join them.

“What was all that about?” Draco asked as soon as he was in the door.

“Not sure yet. Auntie Min sent me a note asking me to pick a fight with you so she could give us detention. So I’m guessing she’s up to something,” Harry said as he got a snack for the two of them.

“Sounds like it. What do we do about Uncle Sev? He’s going to know we got detention and why.”

“I didn’t think about that part.”

“Typical Gryffindor. We have to accept or else he’ll suspect something. There won’t be time to write lines, do homework and serve detention. You know what that means…”

“Swats.”

“Swats,” Draco echoed nodding.

The boys settled down to their homework. It wasn’t long before they heard footsteps on the other side of the internal door that lead to the Potions Master’s office.

***

Severus Snape had had a fairly pleasing day until a certain piece of parchment arrived at the end of his last class, in the hands of a rather nervous house elf.  He knew what it was before he even looked at it. It was the list, a list of all the students who had earned detention that day. It detailed the misdemeanor; the teacher issuing it; the teacher supervising it; on what day and at what time. He quickly scanned the names and frowned when he came across Malfoy, Draco; dueling in the corridor. “Silly snake,” he muttered before finding the second name he had hope he wouldn’t Potter, Harry; dueling in the corridor. “Damn,” he growled.

He compared both entries. Minerva had been the informant for both; she would also be supervising and according the parchment in his hand, both boys would be attending together at seven pm that night. Not only would they be serving detention but the boys had a punishment from him to look forward to.  He shook his head as he left the classroom and went to his office.

 

It’s Official

He stopped by his desk and was surprised to find a very official looking letter lying on the blotter. Taking out his wand he cast a levitating charm on it and turned it over. It had a Ministry seal on the back. A few more wand movements confirmed that the envelope and its contents were free of any hexes, charms or portkeys.

He broke the seal and pulled out the cream coloured parchment within. As he opened the first fold he saw the words ‘Wizarding Childrens Services’. He sat down heavily and took a deep breath before unfolding the rest. He quickly scanned the letter looking for certain words and there they were ‘… hereby acknowledges Severus Tobias Snape as the adoptive father of a minor wizarding child known as Draco Lucius Malfoy.’

The petition had been successful and Draco was now his son and officially Harry’s brother. He had expected Lucius and Narcissa to put up a fight for their son. The blond Slytherin had come to stay with him over summer. At first he had hidden his injuries from Snape. Draco and Harry had tried to take care of them themselves but soon had to ask for help. Of course he had healed the boy. Then he had spanked both of them for keeping it from him.

When the time came Draco didn’t want to return to Malfoy Manor. He knew what waited for him. Severus promised that if anything happened he would come and get him and they would go to Wizarding Childrens Services and file a complaint against Lucius. He had made sure his godson was wearing a bracelet like Harry’s that would alert him if Draco was injured. It went off three days after the boy had gone home. The injuries were bad enough that he needed to go to St. Mungo’s and they filed a case on Draco’s behalf. Severus had filed for guardianship with an adoption pending. WCS had decided to skip the former in favour of the latter.

He decided to read the rest of the paperwork later and that he would inform the boy of the decision after he returned from his detention. He folded the documents back up and slid them back into their envelope then placed it into an inside pocket in his robes. He picked up his briefcase, the dunderheads’ essays and assignments then made his way to his quarters.

 

Confession

Both boys greeted the older wizard with enthusiasm when he entered the room. Harry hugged him offering up a cheery hello before muttering something into his chest. “Child I’m not a foreign language expert like Albus but even I can guarantee he doesn’t speak mumblese,” he said warmly.

Harry lifted his head, “I got detention from Aunt… Professor McGonagall for fighting in the hallway with Draco,” the teen said sadly.

Severus had to bite back a smile Harry had almost called her Auntie Min. “Why were you fighting with Draco?”

“I got a note from Draco about knocking me off my broom and into the mud at the next Quidditch match. Ron asked what it was and I told him. It just got worse from there,” Harry said not daring to look directly at his father.

“Draco?”

“He said I’d be the one looking like a tar baby then he called me the Prince of Slytherin and he made out I couldn’t read. Then he made a comment about me being spanked bare, that’s when I drew my wand,” Draco supplied from where he was sitting at the table.

“We drew about the same time and just as the professor opened the door,” Harry added.

“What time is detention?”

“Tonight, seven sharp,” both boys chorused.

“You both know the rules. If you get a detention you also get a punishment from me.”

“We know and since we won’t have time for homework…’ Draco started

“…and lines…” chimed in Harry.

“… and dinner…” Draco again.

“…we decided on swats,” both boys said together.

Severus rolled his eyes before speaking, “You two are spending way too much time with the Weasley twins. Finish your homework then we’ll take care of the unpleasant stuff before we head up to the Great Hall.”

“Yes Dad.”

“Yes Uncle Sev.”

He left his boys in peace and watched as they bowed their heads over their respective parchments. He turned from them and smiled, ‘I wonder if Draco will be calling me Dad by this time tomorrow,’ he thought.

Severus started working on the first year reading assignments as the boys finished up their homework. He wasn’t too surprised that they had chosen swats over lines. Minerva was almost as strict as he when it came to duelling in the corridors, the boys would have a long, grueling detention ahead of them. He was sorely tempted to rap them across the knuckles with his ruler but he would be applying it elsewhere.

For the next half hour there was little noise except for the turning of pages, rustling of parchment and the scratching of quills. Both boys groaned when their professor told them they had five minutes to pack up their things. “Leave your homework on the table. I’ll look at it while you’re in detention,” Snape told them.

Thirteen with the ruler over the desk is a high price to pay especially when one is made to take down one’s trousers for them so Draco and Harry thought. Severus of course thought differently telling them he was happy to repeat the swats but on bare behinds with corner time added in. He had snickered when both teens had hastily agreed it was enough. As they slowly made their way to the Great Hall for dinner Snape added one last insult to their injury, “No dessert boys,” he said as they parted company in the Entrance Hall.

Harry was not happy as he sat through dinner. His Dad had been very displeased with him and Draco and now he couldn’t sit comfortably. It hadn’t helped any when an already laden plate popped up before him. He threw a quick glance his brother’s way and found him staring at the same horrid thing. He was pretty sure it was sole but it was hard to tell since it was crumbed. It was not his favourite food nor was the asparagus, cauliflower and carrots that accompanied it. He knew better than to leave it though or opt for something else. In the past the food on the table had been charmed to move out of his way. Of course one of the desserts that night had been treacle tart. Harry groaned could this day get any worse.

 

Detention

Professor McGonagall rose from her chair at the High Table and made her way to the teachers’ entrance. She briefly stopped to speak to Severus before continuing on. Hermione nudged Harry and told him he should get going since he practically had to walk to the common room for detention. The teen sighed accordingly and made a show of reluctantly leaving the hall to face his doom.

Draco followed a few minutes later having told Prefect Flint of the detention. Since Slytherin hadn’t lost points and the blond teen had faced his Head of House already Marcus let him go. Two floors up, he found his brother waiting for him. Together they walked the rest of way grumbling about Snape’s unjust dinnertime punishment.

They reached Professor McGonagall’s office without incident and entered when she told them too. “Come over here you two by the fire,” she said happily, “What did he do?” she asked after they had sat down carefully.

“Thirteen with the ruler,” Harry said sniffing slightly.

“And no dessert,” Draco added looking sorrowful.

“And something horrible for dinner,” Harry finished.

“Ach you poor wee bairns, stand up both of you and turn around,” their professor said. She cast a quick localised numbing spell on each boy that would last until they left her office. “That’s the least I can do since it’s my fault you were skelped.”

Draco looked at her like she had lost her mind but Harry explained, “Skelped, s k e l p e d, means spanked in Scotland.”

“Oh, I thought she meant like natives used to do,” Draco murmured.

“Now down to business; I need you two help me convince Severus to go to a wedding with me,” she began, “Ordinarily he wouldn’t hesitate if I asked him to but this time it’s different. It’s a muggle affair for one and my nephew and his fiancée are opting for formal Scottish dress. That means your father would have to wear a kilt.”

“Are you serious?” Draco asked.

“Very. Now I don’t know how you two did it and I don’t want to know but I suspect the whole rabbit fiasco last year was all your doing. Somehow you found out and threw the match just to see that man in some sort of costume for Halloween. This time I am asking that you both rig the upcoming game so that I can wager with Severus. Since it’s an exhibition match there are no Cup points involved.”

“What’s in it for us?” Harry asked.

“Wizard photos of Severus since I am taking Albus’ camera and video I believe my nephew called it. As you know the Muggle Studies room is set up with the player things,” Minerva answered.

“What’s video?” the Slytherin asked.

“Instead of one picture there are hundreds of pictures or frames that record what happens. Usually they have sound too. You put the tape in a VCR and watch it on a TV as if you were there,” Harry explained.

“Um Harry, what is a VCR and a TV? I’ve never done Muggle Studies,” Draco asked.

“I think a visit to the Muggle Studies room is in order, don’t you Harry?” Minerva asked.

“Wicked,” Draco enthused.

Draco and Professor McGonagall were given a simple, crash course in Muggle technology before going back to the professor’s office. Over treacle tart Minerva offered one last incentive to sway the boys on to her side, “If you two help me with this then I will allow both of you to test for an animagus form.”

Both teens knew that this was something that only seventh years did because it was too tempting for students to try to effect the change on their own without the proper teaching.

“I might even find time over the summer to teach you the basics if you have a form. Since both of you know occlumency it should be easy for you to learn. I’ll be back in a minute or two,” the witch said leaving the room and giving them time to talk things over.

The two boys quickly discussed the matter. They would have done it just for the photos but the rest wasn’t to be smirked at. They agreed they would help Auntie Min but they wanted her word that she would take the blame when Severus found out. The two teens informed Minerva of their condition when she returned. She agreed and they spent the remainder of the ‘detention’ going over some of the more humourous transfiguration spells that the elderly witch knew.

At nine she sent them on their way. “Now remember to look like you’ve had a miserable time up here or Severus will be suspicious, unless you’re staying in the tower Harry?” McGonagall said just before they stepped out into the hallway.

“I’m not allowed when I’m being punished,” Harry said sadly.

“I forgot. Well off you go. I’m sure your father is anxious to have you back safely.”

The boys said goodnight and trudged back to the dungeons looking pathetic, after all the whole school would know about the ‘fight’ by now. Thankfully they met no-one on the way. Draco left Harry at the entrance to the Potions Master quarters with a promise to see him at breakfast.

Harry was rather surprised when the blond teen knocked on the door less than ten minutes later. “Uncle Sev left a note telling me to come here,” he explained.

“He left a note for me too saying he’s supervising a detention and to wait up for him,” Harry informed his ‘brother’.

“Who with?”

Harry shrugged, “Don’t know. I’m going to go shower and to get ready for bed. If I use Dad’s bathroom then you can use the other one. Auntie Minnie made us do some disgusting work after all.”

“Good idea.”

Harry grabbed a pair of pajamas and some clean underwear from his room and made his way into Severus’ bathroom. Draco called for a house elf and asked for his own night clothes. The elf was back in a heartbeat and the Slytherin teen headed to the bathroom and shower.

 

A New Family

When Severus arrived home twenty minutes later both of his boys were freshly scrubbed, pajamaed and sitting on the sofa in front of the fire talking quietly. He smiled at the picture they made. ‘Soon they can be like that in public,’ he thought to himself.  “Ready for bed I see,” he said startling both boys.

“Dad Auntie Min made us dust some room on the seventh floor,” Harry whined.

“It was as if the room hadn’t been used in years,” Draco pouted.

It was the story they had concocted with Minerva to cover their tracks should Severus ask her about the detention.

“Perhaps it was spelled that way,” Snape smirked.

“Spelled? Why would she do that?” Harry asked indignantly.

“To give unrepentant brats something to do during detention,” the older wizard chuckled as he walked over to the pegs near the front door to hang up his teaching robes. Before joining the boys on the sofa he called for a house elf and asked for tea then made his way to sit between his sons.

When it arrived he instructed Draco to accio the recent Ministry letter. Once the envelope was securely in the boy’s hands he told him to open it. Severus quietly poured the tea as the young Slytherin read the letter. “For real?” a choked voice asked.

“For real Dragon. Neither Lucius nor Narcissa made an objection as we feared they might,” Severus said wrapping an arm around the boy.

“Is that…” Harry began.

“It’s the adoption papers,” Draco said handing them to Harry, “They… they went through.”

Harry quickly scanned the papers looking for the important bits. He handed the letter to Snape and moved to sit on the other side of Draco squashing him a little in the process. “I have a real brother,” the dark haired boy said quietly giving his ‘new’ brother a hug.

“We were already brothers,” Draco huffed trying not to give into the tears he could feel building.

“Yeah but now it official and we can tell everyone,” Harry enthused.

“True. No more sneaking around to come here when you’re here cause family is supposed to be together. Uncle… ow, what was that for?” Draco growled glaring at Harry.

Uncle,” the Gryffindor emphasised.

“Huh? Oh yeah I can call him Dad now can’t I? Same as you do.” Severus heard the awe in his son’s voice and smiled. “Dad?”

“Yes Draco?” Severus said calmly. He really wanted to give into his emotions but decided to wait until later.

“Am I still entitled to the Malfoy inheritance?” the boy asked.

“The same laws apply as they do for Harry. You are a Malfoy by birth and the only one entitled to inherit. Even if Narcissa should die and Lucius remarry in order to father another child; that child cannot receive the title of Lord Malfoy or any monies, lands etcetera unless you say so. You will have to make a will the same as Harry did stipulating what is to happen to the inheritance should you die. Even if that happens and Lucius begets another brat it is not automatically entitled to anything as you are first born,” Severus said matter-of-factly.

“When can we do that?” Draco asked.

“This weekend we will go to Gringotts. Harry can make changes to his will to include you if he wishes. We will also need to shop for things for your bedroom,” Snape shuddered at the thought.

“Do I get my own room?” the snakelet asked.

“I thought you liked sharing with me,” Harry growled.

“Don’t start you two. At the manor you’ll have your own room as always. Here it will be up to the castle. For tonight you can share the room. Tomorrow at breakfast we will announce the news to everyone. There is one thing for you to decide Draco whether to keep the name of Malfoy or not,” Severus said pulling the change of name form out from the pile of papers.

“Why didn’t I get to change mine?” Harry asked angrily.

“Albus thought it might be better that way. I have the form if you wish to change it,” Snape said placing a calming hand on Harry’s shoulder.

“We would be a family in name as well if we all have the same,” the dark haired teen offered.

“He’s right and I really don’t want to be a Malfoy right now,” Draco said with conviction. He summoned a quill and signed the form to change his name to Draco Lucius Severus Snape.

“Where’s my form Dad?” Harry asked.

Severus still shocked that Draco had added his name didn’t hear the question.

“Dad?”

“Huh?”

“Form to change my name?” 

Both boys watched as still in a daze their father made his way to his desk and returned after finding the form. Harry quickly filled in the form adding Tobias and Snape to his name. “What are you trying to do brat? Give your grandfather a heart attack?” Severus asked when he saw his father’s name on the form.

“Nope, just making him part of the family. Speaking of Grandpa when are you going to tell him he has another grandson?” Harry chirped.

“I’ll think about that one,” Severus said warily.

The forms were folded and sealed then they vanished. A receipt for both soon appeared with a Ministry stamp.

They settled down to enjoy a cup of tea before both boys were ushered off to bed.

 

Announcements and Bets

Minerva McGonagall moved swiftly through the halls of Hogwarts. She had a rendezvous to keep with a certain Potions Master. Hopefully he would still be in the good mood he was at breakfast. She had been a little surprised when she had arrived at the Great Hall earlier in the day. The staff table had been extended to accommodate two extra chairs. She had not been informed of any guests so assumed the castle had made a decision.

The second surprise had been Severus entering through the main door with Harry and Draco either side of him. The three had calmly walked the length of the hall and sat at the Head Table. You could hear the whispers and she waited for the Headmaster to bring order. When all was quiet Severus rose from his seat and in a no-nonsense voice introduced his two sons Draco Lucius Severus Snape and Harry James Tobias Snape.

Dumbledore was caught off guard and actually choked on his tea. The staff murmured amongst themselves. The students chatter returned to a near normal level and it wasn’t hard to guess the topic. Head Boy Percy Weasley had gotten to his feet and when the room was once again bought under control he congratulated the new family on behalf of the student body. Albus who was no longer red faced and spluttering added his congratulations on behalf of the staff.

Throughout the day she had heard the students talking about the latest turn of events. Some were trying to decide just how Snape was going to cope with two teens who so openly hated each other. By dinner that had been resolved when it had been revealed that Harry and Draco had actually been friends for a long time just not in the open.

By dinner time the topic had changed to the upcoming exhibition match and whose families were attending. “Library, Restricted Section, tonight at eleven,” Minerva had whispered in Snape’s ear as she left the Head Table. The Potions Master nodded.

The library was quiet as she entered. She approached Madam Pince asking her to keep students away for a little while then quickly made her way to the meeting place. A furtive look around showed that no students were nearby. She was soon joined by Severus.

***

Snape had spent the hours since dinner wondering what Minerva might be wagering. His mind wandered back to an invite the elderly witch had gotten a few weeks ago. She had shown it to him and he was trying to recall what it had said. It was from her nephew he remembered that much. Nothing unusual there nor was the idea that the young man in question was marrying a Muggle. There was something though, something that had Minerva lamenting at the time. Something to do with… “Bloody hell, she wouldn’t,” he had blurted out startling the first year Hufflepuff that was serving detention.

He remembered it was to be formal dress. He had commented on it at the time because he couldn’t see why it was such a problem to wear a suit. “No ya daft lad,” she had said letting her accent loose, “formal for the men is kilts and the nessessary accoutrements.”

He had stared at her horror struck as he pictured his skinny body and knobbly knees wrapped in yards of tartan. “Before you even ask the answer is no,” he had told her, crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at her. To his surprise she had let it go.

He had to come up with something that would make her think twice. He was pretty sure that Albus could be roped into lending a hand or rather his most garish set of robes complete with hat and socks for Minerva to wear all day. Her hair would have to match of course. Perhaps one of those cutesy, short Muggle costumes he and his sons had come across last summer. That was a much better idea. It was only fair if she was going to put him in something that showed his knees.

He dismissed the firstie and returned to his quarters. On the desk was a small pile of correspondence that he had yet to reply to. An evil glint entered his eyes as he recalled the Potions Masters Guild invite that he had received the previous week. He dug through the pile and drew it out. The annual costume ball was coming up and for some obscure reason they had chosen a theme that adult Muggles often used – ‘Vicars and Vamps’. ‘Perfect,’ he thought. He wouldn’t have to change his every day attire just add a white collar. Minerva on the other hand… “Perfect,” he chuckled as he walked out the door.

***

Professor McGonagall groaned when she saw the look upon her colleague’s face, Snape was smirking like the proverbial cat that got the canary. “Severus,” she nodded.

“Minerva,” he responded.

“Let’s get right to it. Gryffindor wins and you accompany me to my nephew’s wedding. No arguments.”

“I thought that might be you wager so here is my counter. If Slytherin win you will accompany me to the Potions Masters Guild annual ball, this year’s theme is ‘Vickers and Vamps’ and I’m pretty sure you can work out which one you will be. By the way Vamps is not short for vampires.”

He watched as it dawned on her just what he was asking. He saw her eyes widen and her cheeks turn red. “Oh, um, are… you… oh… you’re not… you’re serious are you?”

“Very.”

She turned away from him. She hoped he would think she was trying to find some way out of it when in reality she was trying to hide her certainty in her victory. “But… oh very well,” she huffed turning around to face him.

“Usual condition?”

“Yes Harry and Draco both play.”

Minerva offered her hand, Severus accepted and they sealed the bet. He walked to the door and just before closing it turned to her and smiled wolfishly “I’ll send you a catalogue with suitable costumes in it. Fishnet stockings, high heels, short skirts…” he trailed off, gave her a wink and walked away.

The End.
Chapter 2 by Saphire_Rose

Godfather, Grandfather

The closer the match got the more boisterous the students became. The impending visit of parents and in some cases siblings was exciting. The evening before the match Harry asked if Sirius was going to come to the game. “I don’t think so Imp, he’s still recovering. We could go and see him on Sunday if you like?” Severus had told him quietly.

“That would be good Dad,” Harry said sadness evident in his voice.

Severus didn’t miss it but didn’t want to ruin the surprise. The healers at St. Mungos were allowing him to attend. It hadn’t been that long since Sirius Black had been declared innocent. He had escaped jail during the summer. As a result Severus had gone in to protective mode refusing to consent to Harry going to Hogsmeade. Draco of course had agreed with his then godfather. So he had been rather angry when he was attacked by the green eyed teen near the Shrieking Shack when he should have been safe in the castle.

Draco had informed Severus of what had happened. Harry had been duly punished when he had returned after his little adventure. During his subsequent grounding the teen had found an unexpected name on the map the Weasley twins had given him to help in his daring escape. He had asked his father about the name since he had been told the person was dead. Severus in turn summoned Remus Lupin who had previously confirmed his involvement in the making of the map along with James Potter, Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew.   

Lupin had told them the map was accurate. He also told them of Pettigrew’s animagus form - a rat. Harry had gasped at the revelation and explained about Ron’s rat Scabbers and how it was missing a toe. With the map in hand and Professor McGonagall in tow Snape and Lupin had caught Pettigrew in the third year Gryffindor boys’ dorm.

The Ministry had acted quickly in declaring Sirius Black innocent of all and pending charges. They urged him to come forward. Black had done so and Severus had been wary of the man’s reactions to Harry’s adoption. There had been surprise all round when Sirius accepted the news with very little fuss. They had been shocked when Black had privately and publicly, via the Daily Profit, apologised to Severus Snape for past treatment. “So Lily got what she wanted after all,” Sirius had told them his eyes alive with mirth.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Snape had asked.

“Lily was happy for me to be named Harry’s godfather but she didn’t want me raising him if anything happened to her and James. The shocking part had been that James had agreed with her. And we know Remus can’t because of his… well you know. Since Lily considered you her best friend Harry was to go to you. If they had of asked me before they locked me up I would have told them about you and Harry.”

The day after the revelation Sirius had sent Remus to Gringotts to retrieve two letters. One letter was from Lily forgiving Severus for past mistakes. The other was a joint letter from Lily and James expressing their wishes for Harry’s long term care should something happen to them. The latter was copied and filed with the Ministry.

***

“Your grandfather will be here. I got the confirmation from him this morning in the post. I didn’t tell him about Draco though. I thought it would better to tell him face to face. Speaking of your brother he should be here soon,” Severus said trying to get Harry out his current mood.

“Dad you’re only waiting to tell Grandpa ‘cause you’re hoping someone will be around and he won’t get mad at you,” Harry laughed.

“I’m not scared of him Imp and it’s not as if he doesn’t already know Draco.”

“Who knows me?” said teen asked as he entered the room.

“Grandpa,” his brother told him, “Dad said he’s coming to the match.”

“It’ll be strange calling him Grandpa and not Mr. Snape,” Draco smiled.

A soft chime sounded throughout the chambers. “Grab your cloaks boys,” Severus said as he made his way to the pegs next to the front door. When they were all ready he lead his sons out of their rooms, down a not so secret hallway and out onto the grounds. The group made their way to the gates of Hogwarts.

The was a crack of apparition that made both boys look up to see an older version of Snape looking slightly green standing next to Arthur Weasley, Ron’s father. “Grandpa,” Harry shouted launching himself into the older man’s arms.

“Good to see you too Harry,” Tobias said hugging his grandson and kissing him on the forehead. Harry stepped back and watched as his father and grandfather greeted each other.

“Da you remember Draco?” Severus said nodding at the boy.

“Of course, I’m not senile yet Sev,” Tobias huffed. He shook Draco’s hand.

Severus turned to Arthur and thanked him for bringing Tobias to Hogwarts. The jovial red headed man assured the family that it was no trouble. After telling them he’d see them tomorrow at the game he bid them goodnight and made his way home.

The Snape family made their way back into the castle and their rooms. Harry got Tobias settled into his room as Severus ordered tea for them all. They had decided on Harry’s room since the senior Snape had not been told of the new addition and he might just get suspicious if he Draco had his own room. Draco was itching to show off said room.

They had been rather surprised to find the additional room when they returned from classes the day of the announcement. The room was identical to Harry’s but Draco ever the Slytherin had chosen his House colours to decorate in.

When they were all seated in the living room Severus asked Tobias if the stomach soother had helped this time. “Wasn’t so bad this time round, so yeah. Tasted awful though son. Can’t ya flavour ‘em?”

The teens laughed at that and explained why it wasn’t a good practise.

Over tea Severus told Tobias about Draco becoming part of the family. To their surprise the older man asked why they waited so long to go through with the adoption. The explanation was simple with Lucius involvement in the attempt to resurrect the Dark Lord the year before he openly declared himself a follower; then the incident over summer. It had made it easier for Draco to be removed from the custody of his parents.

“Harry why don’t you show Grandpa your change of name certificate?” Severus asked a little too cheerfully. Tobias didn’t miss it and wondered what his son was up to. There was a hushed silence as the green eyed teen surprised everyone by wandlessly summoning said certificate. When it floated gently into his hand he gave it to his grandfather to read.

Tobias Snape couldn’t help the sappy grin that spread across his face as he read his name on the piece of parchment that he held. He never thought he’d be blessed with one let alone two grandchildren and now this. He looked at his son. “It was Harry’s choice Da. Draco has added my name to his,” Severus said quietly.

“Thank you Harry,” Tobias said tearfully. Harry hugged the man and told him he was welcome.

At ten o’clock Severus sent both boys back to their dorms, Harry through the floo to Minerva’s office and Draco out the door to the Slytherin rooms. The two men talked for a while longer enjoying another cup of tea together before retiring for the night.

 

Breakfast and Quidditch

The next morning found two hyperactive teens joining the older Snapes for breakfast. Both boys were fixated on the game ahead. “It’s not raining you know,” Draco said to Harry, “Pitch will be dry.”

“What?” the other boy murmured distractedly.

“You said you were going to make me into a tar baby, remember?” the snakeling said poking his brother in the side.

“Oh yeah,” said Harry his cheeks reddening with embarrassment, “The day Auntie Min caught us with our wands out in the hall.”

“I thought there was a rule about duelling in the hallways. I remember your grandmother sending a red envelope to your father once for doing that. Who was it that told your Mam, Sev?” Tobias asked.

“It was Minerva and that howler was horrible,” Severus grumbled.

“You got a Howler?” Draco asked incredulously.

“Wasn’t the first time,” they were told, “It was just she really yelled and threatened all kinds of dire consequences including coming here if there was just one more incident.”

The rest of breakfast was spent talking about some Severus’ other boyhood misdeeds. At eight-thirty both teens made ready to leave. Severus waited for them at the door. “No heroics. No dangerous flying,” he started.

“Daaaaaaad,” Harry whined, “Its Quidditch.”

“Yes I know and I know you will ignore everything I just said, but it’s my responsibility as a parent to say them.”

“Whatever,” Draco said rolling his eyes.

“At least try to be careful. I’ve arranged with the elves to pack a picnic for after the game so come and find us after you shower and change.”

Severus sent his brats on their way. At nine o’clock he and his father made their way to the pitch. The game was starting at nine-thirty. They found their seats in the teachers’ stand. Severus introduced Tobias to those that hadn’t met him yet. A few minutes later Remus Lupin and Sirius Black arrived. Greeting were exchanged all round and they settled down to watch the match.

***

Professor McGonagall strolled at a leisurely pace from the Great Hall to the pitch. She patted one of her robe pockets reassuringly. She really hoped that the Snape boys would keep their end of the bargain and that she hadn’t been found out. Severus had kept his promise and sent her a catalogue of what she would scarcely call clothing. It left nothing to the imagination and she suspected that was the whole idea. If Severus truly wished to attend she would help him out.

She enjoyed the morning sunshine as she hurried along some stragglers. Her mind fleeting wandered back to the match earlier in the year when the Dementors had invaded the pitch causing Harry to fall from his broom and the subsequent loss of said broom. Severus and Sirius had argued about the best broom to buy the boy to replace it. It had been Remus’ voice of reason that bought about the agreement of a Firebolt. She climbed the stairs to the staff box and found the objects of her thoughts amicably chatting away.

***

Soon enough both teams were in the air going through their prematch warm up routine. The players took up position as the team captains Oliver Wood and Marcus Flint met in the middle of the pitch with Madam Hooch to shake hands. Once they were in place the balls were released and the game began.

Gryffindor was the first to score but Slytherin soon followed with two successive goals. Severus kept one eye on the game and the other on his boys. Both circled above the main action looking for the little winged devil known as the snitch. He watched as one would dash off in one direction with the other following only to fall back when they lost sight of it again.

***

Harry and Draco were watching each other as well as looking for the snitch. On one mad dash they had gone past the teachers’ box both boys had been excited to see Sirius sitting there though neither showed it. Harry cringed inwardly as the Slytherin stand burst into loud cheers and chants as their team scored another goal. Five minutes later the Lions tried to outdo them getting two goals in quick succession.

Back and forth the points went. At an agreed signal the brothers earnestly looked for the snitch. Harry spotted it behind Draco near the Gryffindor goals and took off at speed. When he got to within ten feet of it the winged ball shot past him heading towards a surprised Draco. Harry executed a backwards flip without breaking speed and followed it.

Draco had seen the snitch change direction but he also saw his brother change just as fast and he was now hurtling towards him. He had no choice but to take evasive action. An expert barrel roll had him going to the left of Harry as the green eyed teen shot past and grabbed the snitch. That had been close, too close. That was not how they planned for it to go but anyone could see he had no choice.

***

Severus was nearly deafened as the mutt and the wolf, as he often referred to them, started cheering and hollering. He blinked and looked at the pitch. The Gryffindor team was doing a lap of honour with Harry in the lead holding the snitch. He quickly scanned the ground and found Draco in one piece, “Thank Merlin,” he muttered.

The last few minutes of the game had Severus on edge not from the thought of losing the bet to Minerva but he thought his sons were going to collide mid-air. He knew his boys were both excellent fliers but that was just too close for comfort. He stayed seated calming his nerves by mentally reciting potions ingredients. “Is it always like that?” his father’s voice invaded his recitation.

“Huh?”

“Is it always like that? I thought for sure those two were going to collide.”

“It’s not usually that close at that speed. Harry tends to focus on the snitch. Though I doubt even he thought it would change direction like that.”

“Did you play this game when you were a student?”

“Yes Da.”

“Holy… geez I’m glad I didn’t know about it.”

“Tobias Snape, how are you?” a soft feminine voice spoke.

Tobias looked up and grinned, “Mistress Poppy,” he said getting to his feet. He gave the mediwitch a hug, “I’m quite well Poppy. No traces what so ever much to my doctor’s surprise. I just told him I tried some herbal remedies that Sev concocted.”

“He accepted that?”

“He knows Sev’s a chemist so he had no problem with it. It’s taken a long time to get to where I am now. Sev and I are getting along and I have two grandsons.”

“Poppy why don’t you join us for lunch? Sirius and Remus will be there as well. The elves have made a picnic for us and you know they always make plenty,” Severus said.

“Thank you, I will. Well at least until I’m needed,” the mediwitch beamed.

Severus smiled as his father offered the witch his arm.

 

Picnic and Plans

Harry and Draco found the others sitting beneath a tree. After giving his father and grandfather a hug Harry squeezed himself in between Sirius and Remus. Draco settled between the older Snape men. Poppy sat next to Tobias and Minerva sat on the other side of Severus. Albus was off the Minister somewhere.

The elves had packed sandwiches, cold chicken, sliced ham, several different kinds of salads, breads, fruits and cheeses. Pumpkin juice, lemonade, tea and coffee. There was more than enough to go around and Severus suspected that the basket was charmed to alert the kitchen when food was removed.

The chatter was pleasing and varied in topics depending on who you were listening to. Harry, Sirius and Remus were talking about either Quidditch or the late Potters. Poppy and Tobias were talking about his recovery and future prognosis. Draco, Severus and Minerva talked about potions and transfiguration.

Eventually the talk turned to the bet that Severus and Minerva had made on the game. “How much did you lose, son?” Tobias asked.

“Hmph, my dignity Da,” Severus snarled.

“How so?” Remus asked.

“Minerva’s nephew is getting married and she requires an escort.”

“Nothing wrong with that Snape,” Sirius spoke up.

“Hmph. Its formal Black.”

“And?” Sirius prompted.

“I have to wear a bloody kilt,” the Potions Master snarked.

“I can… just picture… your skinny arse… in a skirt,” Sirius managed to get out amid giggles.

Everyone except Severus laughed at that.

“What… what was your counter?” Lupin asked when he was under control.

“The Potions Masters Guild has a fancy dress ball every year. This year the theme is ‘Vicars and Vamps’ and I was going as the vicar,” Severus told them.

Black and Lupin stared wide eyed at Minerva while Tobias quietly explained to Poppy just what a ‘Vamp’ was. “Oh Minerva,” was all she said.

“So you have to go shopping for new togs,” Black said looking at Sev with calculating eyes.

“No it’ll be taken care of by my brother,” Minerva said. She took a leather bound box out of her pocket and handed it to Severus, “I got this just in case.”

Carefully Severus opened the box. Inside he found a small, sheathed knife, a pin and a pair of cufflinks. They appeared to be made of ebony and pewter with a matching Celtic knot decorating each piece. There was an emerald coloured stone in the top of the hilt.

“That’s a sgian dubh,” Minerva told him as he carefully withdrew the small blade from its scabbard. “My brother will show you where to place it and the kilt pin.”

“When is the wedding Minerva?” Tobias asked.

“Two weeks from today. We’ll only be gone for a few hours since we can floo there and back,” she answered.

The rest of the afternoon passed by pleasantly and too soon they were saying farewell to each other. Mr. Weasley apparated Tobias home after the older Snape had taken a stomach soothing potion. Remus took a protesting Sirius back to St. Mungos.

Not surprisingly Draco and Harry were tired and by bedtime didn’t even put up a fuss that it was Saturday night and that they should be allowed to stay up.


 

The End.
Chapter 3 by Saphire_Rose

Doom Day

The two weeks leading up to the wedding were rather peaceful and almost incident free. Almost, the Thursday before found Harry and Draco in the Snape quarters before breakfast. Severus had thought that Harry had had a nightmare and rather than keep his dorm mates awake had slept the rest of the night in his own bed. He also thought that since Draco seemed to know when the horrible dreams took place he had come to comfort his brother.

The boys had in fact been up half the night with the Weasley twins making plans about how best to display the pictures Professor McGonagall was going to give them. This made for two rather short tempered, cranky teens that spent most of the morning sniping and snarling at each other. For the most part Severus ignored it. There had an admonishment for language and several ‘will you two stop it’ pleas. It was when they were almost ready to head up to the Great Hall that things became physical. Snape put a quick stop to the shoving and sent each boy on his way with a stinging smack across his backside and dire threats about any reports of bad behaviour and the consequences ringing in their ears.

***

Saturday dawned bright and clear, despite Severus Snape’s unhappy mood. He really should learn not to bet with Minerva. If he really thought about it either way he was doomed. What had been thinking challenging her to attend the costume ball? He moved through his usual Saturday morning routine followed by a leisurely breakfast with his boys that Harry always cooked. Today it had been blueberry pancakes topped with sliced banana and whipped cream. “You need to keep up your sugar Dad, there’s bound to be dancing,” Harry said mischievously.

“Beside you don’t know what they’re having for dinner,” Draco chimed, “If they’re going traditional it could be haggis.”

Severus groaned he hadn’t thought of dancing or food. It was one thing to ‘play’ with disgusting animal bits but to eat them, shudder.

“I ought to assign you two a detention with Filch while I’m out this evening,” Severus groused.

“Daaaaaaad,” both teens wailed.

Snape just raised an eyebrow and smirked.

***

Minerva had decided to wear her usual robes to her brother’s house and dress there. She didn’t want Severus to know what tartan she had chosen for them. She had been hinting all week at the bright reds, oranges, yellows and purples that made up some tartans. She even had some swatches on hand and would show them to people when he was around. She had decided she would forgo her usual tight bun and allow her natural curls to have their way.

As she sipped her mid-morning tea she wondered if her honourary nephews had let slip about dancing and haggis. She wasn’t too surprised at the knock on her door or the two excited teens that just had to tell her how green their father was looking when they left earlier. She congratulated both of them and gave them some shortbread she had made the night before.

The arrival of the wedding gifts, a series of hand carved wooden shortbread molds, with yesterday’s mail had made her nostalgic for some homemade shortbread so she invaded the kitchens. The elves had been fascinated watching her make the dough by hand. She had more than enough for them to sample and to fill her tin.

At a quarter to two she made her way to Albus’ office. The wedding was at three and they would have plenty of time to dress and walk with the family to the village Kirk. The groom, the best man and his attendants were staying in the village inn and would walk over from there.  The bride and her attendants would be arriving by horse and carriage.

Severus was waiting for her and after giving him the address she stepped into the floo. They had decided it would be best if she went first since it was her brother’s house and he had not met Snape.

***

A mountain of a man had Minerva in a bone crushing hug as Severus stepped out of the floo. A breathless Minerva introduced her brother as Laird Douglas McGonagall before she left the room to find her nieces and nephews. Snape could see a resemblance between the six foot five Scot and his sister. Douglas was more jovial than Minerva but the man didn’t teach children all day.

“How about a wee dram or two before we get ye dressed?” Douglas suggested.

Severus readily agreed and was pleased to see that the burly Scotsman had muggle, Chivas Regal, Glenfiddich and wizarding, Ogden’s, scotch. The first dram went down fast and they sipped the second. “How did the ol’ tabby rope ye into this?” Douglas asked.

“We bet on a Quidditch game. If I lost I came here, if she lost she was to go to a costume ball with me,” Severus replied.

“You’re a Potions Master aren’t ye?”

“Yes.”

“I ken which ball ye’re talking about then. One of the lasses was talking about it. Be almost worth a bottle or two of my finest to see Min dressed that way. Best we get ye ready lad. This way.”

Laird McGonagall led Snape to a small guest room. Severus eyes immediately went to the valet stand in the corner. He sighed with relief when he saw the dark plaid hanging there. The other man had been watching his gaze. “She’s been teasing ye all week hasn’t she?”

“Yes. She kept showing bright swatches of cloth to people.”

 “Nothing bright about the Blackwatch.

Severus walked over to the valet to get a better look at the clothes and accessories there. “How do you wear these things?” he said holding up what looked like looped ribbons with strips of elastic running through them and metal fasteners in the end.

Douglas laughed at the look of dismay on Snape’s face, “There the flashes. I’ll leave ye to get the shirt and kilt hose, the things that look like remarkably like socks, on. I’ll help with the rest when ye’re ready.”

“Umm… what about underneath?” Severus asked turning bright red.

“Whatever ye are comfortable with lad. For things like this I usually wear briefs but if the wool is likely to itch yer skin then boxers are fine. Ye’re welcome to carry ye wand but try not to let it be seen”

“I have a wrist holster it should fit under the shirt sleeve.”

Snape was left alone to undress. Taking Minerva’s gift out of pocket he placed it on the accessory tray of the valet. He cast a freshening charm and tied his hair at the nape of his beck using a leather thong. He put his white, wing-collar shirt, cufflinks and hose on. He even managed the bow tie before Douglas knocked on the door and was given leave to enter.

“Take a seat over here Severus; we’ll do the flashes and Ghillie brogues first.”

Severus watched as Douglas positioned the flashes to the outside of his lower legs a couple of inches below the knees then folded down the tops of the hose. The brogues were laced to the front with a high tie that reminded Snape of ballet dancers. The kilt was next and it felt heavy about his waist, “What do ye expect for eight yards of eighteen ounce wool fabric?” Douglas asked when Snape commented on it. The sporran was placed and the Potions Master noted the Celtic pattern on it. He was told that Minerva had got a matching set. Kilt pin in place, Prince Charles jacket and vest on. The final touch had been the sgian dubh neatly tucked into the right hose above the flashes.

“Take a look laddie,” the Laird said indicating the full length mirror across the room. Reluctantly Snape had to admit he did look good and his knees weren’t too noticeable. He just might be able to forgive Minerva for this after all.

 

The Wedding

The two gentlemen made their way to the front parlour where Minerva was waiting. She was wearing a Blackwatch ankle length hostess skirt, white jabot blouse, that had Severus grinning at the lace ruffle, and sash in matching tartan. Her hair was cascading gently down her back, soft ringlet had formed of their own accord.

Severus bowed to Minerva and complimented her on her attire before offering his arm. With Laird McGonagall in the lead and other family members following they made their way across country to the village Kirk. It was an old blue stone building with lead light windows. Inside was a high exposed beam ceiling and wooden pews with tartan bows on each end. The carved wooden alter and pedestals were adorned with fresh arrangements of heather and wild flowers.

Severus and Minerva were seated in the front pew on the left hand side with Douglas and the groom’s parents. The rest of their little entourage were seated in the pews behind. The Kirk filled slowly and there were many happy voices as family and friends greeted each other. Severus was introduced to a lot of them by either Douglas or Minerva.

The groom and his men entered from the right transept and took their places before the alter. Severus noted that they wore the same tartan as Douglas. The minister emerged from the vestry and started talking with the soon to be husband. When everything seemed to be ready a young man escorted the Mother of the Bride to her seat. Music began to play and the congregation rose. The smallest attendants, a flower girl and page boy, entered first with people ooing and ahhing over how cute they looked. Both children appeared to be ready to run away. The junior bridesmaid was chivvying them along. Two more maids walked the aisle side by side. They were followed by a young lady on her own who Severus guessed was the Matron of Honour.

Mendelssohn's ‘Wedding March’ began to play and the bride entered on her father’s arm. Severus wasn’t one for sentimentality but even he had to admit the bride looked beautiful in her long white gown. It had a sweet heart neckline, fitted bodice and sleeves. The skirt was full, hooped and layered; the top layer had ruches that revealed the layer below, where the swag formed bows had been added. The train had ruches as well. Delicate lace trimmed her cathedral length veil and finger tip blusher. Her bouquet matched the flowers that adorned the Kirk. As she passed he could see her brunette curls cascading down her back.

The actual service seemed to take no time at all, the benediction, readings, prayers and vows were all simple and flowed with an easy grace. As the bridal party retired into the vestry for the signing of the registry Minerva excused herself and made her way to the left transept. She returned a few moments later carrying a swath of tartan and an elaborate silver broach. The elderly witch explained to him that it was tradition within their family that the Laird’s wife presented the incoming females with the clan colours but since Douglas’ wife had passed beyond the veil she would be doing the honours.

The vestry door opened, the minister emerged followed by the newlyweds and their attendants. The minister introduced them to the congregation as Mr. and Mrs. McGonagall. The young couple made their way to where Douglas and Minerva stood waiting for them. The groom bowed respectfully and presented his bride. The young lady curtsied, then stood still as Minerva with the help of the Matron of Honour looped the tartan sash over the woman’s left shoulder and secured it with the broach at her right hip. She quietly congratulated the couple then stepped back.

Music played again as the newlyweds and their party made their way down the aisle to the doors. Douglas walked with the bride’s parents, Minerva, Snape and family following. The bridal party and family gathered in various groups for official and unofficial photos to be taken. Severus tried to be a good sport about the whole thing. He was very relieved when the bridal party took their leave to another location for more photos.

The McGonagalls and Snape made their way to Douglas’ manor. “We’ll take the car into the village later for the reception. It’ll be too cold to walk back later,” Douglas said.

“It was a lovely ceremony Dougie. They should be very happy together,” Minerva said.

“Aye. They’re going to have a wizarding ceremony too. This was mostly for her family, those that don’t know about Donald’s other life as they put it.”

“Did you pay attention Severus? Only a matter of time before it’ll be your boys standing at the alter,” Minerva teased.

“Leave the poor lad alone Minnie. Haven’t ye terrorised him enough already.”

“Hopefully they’ll wait a little while after graduating before they take that step,” Snape said quietly. Minerva’s words had shaken him. In four short years his new found sons would be old enough to wed and leave him. He didn’t want to think about that, not at all.

 

While the cat er bat’s away…

Harry and Draco were enjoying their ‘freedom’. The Potions Master hadn’t forbidden them from being in their quarters nor had the Headmaster. In fact Albus had been rather instrumental in orchestrating the little get-together that he thought was taking place down there.

As soon as McGonagall and Snape had flooed away Albus had a house elf bring Harry and Draco to his office. Both teens had been rather nervous and were trying to work out what they had done. The Headmaster quickly reassured them that they were not in trouble. “It will be a few hours before your father returns and I thought you two might enjoy having a little get-together with your friends in your quarters,” he told them.

“Like a party?” Harry asked sceptically.

“Yes. Your father didn’t forbid any such thing did he?”

“No he didn’t,” Draco said smiling.

“What do we do for food and drinks?” the green eyed teen asked.

“Oh I’ll have the house elves prepare something and I’ll get them to charm the rooms so nothing can be broken,” Albus said his eyes twinkling.

It didn’t take much more for Harry and Draco to be convinced that it was a good idea. They agreed to keep it to only people in their year level and then thought that it would be easier to just have the Slytherins and Gryffindors. They had been getting along better since Harry’s adoption and even more so since Draco’s.

Amazingly the students were having a wonderful time. Dumbledore had the elves checkup them under the guise of replenishing the refreshments. Neither Severus nor Minerva would forgive him if anything untoward should happen.

The girls had spent a lot of the time talking about fashions and beauty interspersed with gossip about who was dating who in the castle. The boys focused mostly on Quidditch and it was while they were chatting that Harry and Draco told them about the bet. The girls of course stopped their chatter to listen. They were all sworn to secrecy and promised first viewing of the video if Minerva got a copy.

The Snape boys were quite happy to tell them what their father had wagered and even retrieved one of the catalogues he had gotten for Minerva. Hermione’s explanation of a vamp hadn’t made a lot of sense but the pictures did. The boys whistled and catcalled at the images while the girls comment on the cuts, styles and colours of the clothes.

The images had made the boys a little rowdy and the girls using their better judgement decided to leave. Once they were gone Seamus and Dean asked if there was any firewhiskey in the quarters. Draco and Harry both knew there was some but they weren’t so keen on sharing it around, somehow they didn’t think Severus would be very understanding.

Thinking quickly Draco suggested they go out to the Quidditch pitch and fly around for a while. Neville was a bit hesitant but Harry and Draco managed to convince that he could use the extra flying time. The crisis was diverted when the others readily agreed. Harry asked Dobby to go to both dorms and bring back jackets, gloves, hats and brooms. The little elf was more than happy to help Harry Potter Sir. He disappeared and returned a few minutes later with everything the boy had asked for. Dobby had even managed to find extra brooms.

The boys let themselves out through one of the not so secret doors from the dungeons. Rather than walk to the pitch they flew making the most of the almost full moon that lit up the night sky. They stayed low to ground to put Neville at ease. The gates to the pitch were locked but that didn’t stop them. With the Snape boys flanking Neville they rose above the walls and over them. Once they were on the other side Draco suggested they stay low so as not to be seen from the castle.  For a while they did just that until the temptation to show off tricks and moves became too great. Neville wisely chose to sit in the stands and watch. The boys were so engrossed in what they were doing that they lost track of time. Crabbe and Goyle joined Neville in the stands when they became bored. As time moved on the three watchers fell asleep.

 

Anything But Haggis

While the boys were enjoying themselves their father was dreading the evening meal. Neither Douglas nor Minerva had let on about what was on the menu. They had enjoyed a quiet afternoon tea back at the manor. Both men had wanted something stronger but Minerva told them there would be time for that later.

Douglas announced that it was time to return to the village and that he would meet the others at the garage. Minerva went to the powder room and Severus returned to the room he had dressed in and removed a few potions from his robes that he tucked into his sporran, one of them was a stomach soother.

When they joined the Laird at the garage Severus was rather surprised at how many cars Douglas had housed there.  Apart from the Land Rover and a small town car the rest were much older and seemed to be in almost pristine condition. He did chuckle at the sight of the barouche down the far end. “We take her out in the summer,” Douglas offered when he saw what Severus was looking at, “Have a fine pair Windsor Greys to pull it.”

The older wizard decided they should take the 1929 Ford Model A Saloon car. Minerva commented on the deep plum and black paintwork and Snape found the butter-soft, dark cream leather interior was inviting. The drive to the reception venue was rather quick and Severus soon found himself deposited at a table with a rather pretty young lady. The McGonagall siblings had both excused themselves to check on things.

The young lady turned to Severus and introduced herself as Maggie McGonagall. “Severus Snape,” he responded offering his hand. He started at the small wave of magic that washed over him.

“I cast a silencing charm,” Maggie told him, “Severus Snape as in the Severus Snape, Potions Master Extraordinaire?”

“Yes,” Snape said quietly not at sure as to how to react to the woman’s enthusiasm.

“Aunt Minnie never said she worked with you. I have long been an admirer of you work. I also enjoy reading your articles and your rather caustic comments when someone writes something that is wrong or misleading,” Maggie babbled.

“You read my articles?” Severus asked surprised.

“Oh I’m sorry. Please allow me to formally introduce myself Master Snape, Margaret McBride Potions Mistress.”

Severus Snape, king of sarcasm, prince of biting wit was speechless. The tanned, brown eyed, honey blond woman sitting next to him was one of the few Guild members whose endeavours he followed. He had long wanted to meet with her and discuss some theories he had about her work.

“Master Snape?”

Snape blinked, “My apologies. I’ve been following your work too. In fact I was going to propose setting aside time this summer to meet with you. I have a letter stating just that sitting on my desk. I was going to mail it in the morning.”

“That would be wonderful and please do. Hopefully our schedules will be compatible.”

“You would be the one Douglas so casually referred to earlier.”

“I don’t follow.”

Severus quickly explained about the bet and the earlier comment from the Laird. Margaret or Maggie as she insisted he call her laughed at her aunt’s audacity. Feeling somewhat comfortable he also told her about the teasing. “Ach ye have naught to worry about with the haggis. They even have vegetarian ones these days and the casings are similar to the ones the butchers use for sausages.”

“Just you wait ‘til the next time you tipple a little too much scotch Minerva McGonagall, I’m going to withhold the hangover potion and make you face Poppy,” Snape growled causing Maggie to laugh.

“Da’s retuning, best I cancel the charm,” the witch said looking at Douglas as he walked towards them.

“Keep my new found haggis knowledge a secret,” Severus whispered. Maggie smiled and nodded.

“Min will be back soon,” Douglas said as he took his seat, “The newlyweds have arrived and should be entering soon.”

Minerva joined them just as the Master of Ceremonies took the floor. He introduced the bridal party as they entered and took their seats. Within minutes waiting staff began circulating serving an entrée. Severus and Maggie opted for the king prawn salad, with Douglas and Minerva choosing the chicken and mushroom consommé. The wait staff also took down everyone’s main meal preference. Snape smirked at his co-worker and promptly ordered the haggis.

Not one to let an opportunity pass when they had finished their course Severus started talking to Maggie about potions ingredients knowing full well Minerva would catch enough of the conversation. For her part Maggie was quick to realise what he was up to and happily joined in. They disgust the best way to harvest stink sap and bubotuber pus. The most efficient way to harvest certain animals and get the most parts off of them. Snape heard Minerva moan and turned his attention to her.

“Are you alright Minerva?” he asked in a soft concerned voice.

She glared at him, “You know exactly what your little chat with Maggie has done to me.”

“Yes the same as yours regarding a certain delicacy did to me,” he smirked.

“It was childish I admit but it was fun seeing you squirm.”

Severus discretely handed her a vial of stomach soother. “I’ve had my fun and if I take you home ill I’ll never hear the end of it from the Dragon Lady or the twinkling fool.

Pocketing the vial Minerva stood up but before leaving she quickly leant down and kissed Snape on the cheek, “You’re not such a bad lad.”

Minerva returned in time for the main course. Whilst the room was relatively quiet speeches we given and telegrams read. The cake was cut and the bridal couple had their first dance together. For the second song they were joined by the bridal party couple’s parents. Severus admired the way Douglas and Minerva danced so well together. Maggie organised for a round of drinks to be waiting when they returned.

Brother and sister were slightly flushed and rather breathless when they sat down. “Thanks lass,” Laird McGonagall said raising his glass to Maggie.

“Ye’re welcome Da.”

Severus couldn’t tell you where the rest of the night went. He remembered dessert was a rich chocolate cake with white royal icing and sugar flowers. He realised it was the wedding cake and agreed with Maggie that it was a good idea to serve it as dessert. He remembered a couple of weddings he had gone to as a child with his mother. The cake had been of the heavy fruit variety with almond paste and a thick layer of almost hard icing that had so much sugar it hurt your teeth.

He knew he danced with Minerva at least once and Maggie several times. He also vaguely recalled the McGonagall lads getting him out on the floor and trying to teach him some highland dance steps. He was loath to admit that he had thoroughly enjoyed himself but he had thanks to one Margaret ‘Maggie’ McBride.

As things wound down and the new husband and wife prepared to leave Severus thoughts turned to his boys. He hoped they were behaving themselves. Albus had assured him they would be fine and really they should be but he knew the Headmaster like to play the over indulgent grandfather when he the chance arose.

“What are ye thinking about lad?” Douglas asked.

“The three brats I left at home,” Snape answered.

“Three? I thought you said you had two sons,” Maggie said.

“He does but we left Albus in charge and he’s too fond of letting the boys have what he calls ‘harmless fun’,” Minerva informed her.

“Wheesht now won’t do you any good frettin’ about it. You’ll be home soon enough,” Douglas said clapping him on the back rather hard.

They followed the young couple and waved them off. Other said their farewells too and left for their homes or accommodation houses. The McGonagall lads had been charged with setting the hall to rights once everyone had left. By waiting until the building was clear of muggles they could use magic to clean. “Da, Severus and I are going to walk back,” Maggie said grabbing Snape’s hand and heading for the path to the manor.

Severus wasn’t worried that there might be some burly Scotsman waiting to knock his block off for being with his wife. He had heard of the tragic loss of Maggie’s husband to a potions accident nearly three years prior. When they were out of sight Severus drew his wand and cast a warming charm on himself and Maggie.

***

Minerva couldn’t believe her luck when Maggie had grabbed Severus hand and disappeared with him. She would be able to hide her ‘goodies’ from him easier. She had entrusted Albus’ camera to one of her nephews. Another had managed to get an unedited copy of the wedding video for her. He assured her it had footage from the manor, the church and the reception, especially them trying to teach Severus to dance. She told them there would be a small gift waiting for them at home.

The drive back to the manor was just as quick as the earlier one had been. Before going inside the witch took the time to conjure a protronus and send it to the Snape boys.


The End.
Chapter 4 by Saphire_Rose

The Return

Harry almost fell off his broom when a white ghost like cat came trotting up to him. He was even more shocked when it opened its mouth and spoke with Auntie Min’s voice, “Just letting you know that I have pictures and the video thing. We’ll be returning soon. I suggest that if you wish to do anything with it tonight that you should be waiting in the common room for me when I get back.”

Returning soon? Just what time was it anyway? The boys were shocked to find out that it was nearly eleven pm. “Come on we have to get the living room cleaned up before Dad get’s back,” Harry shouted.

Draco flew to the stands and woke the three sleeping beauties. They all took the air flying over the wall then dropping low to the ground so they could fly at speed back to the castle. Harry had Ron take the Gryffindor boys up one of the secret stairways to the Lion Den. They would get there faster than taking the main stair that had a bad habit of changing direction. The remaining boys hurried through the corridor to the Snake Pit where Harry and Draco bid them goodnight.

The teens couldn’t believe their luck when they entered the living room and found it spotless. They stashed their brooms and cold weather gear in their bedrooms. Harry penned a quick note to Minerva telling her that he Draco and the twins would be waiting. He copied the note and called for Dobby. He asked the little elf to take one to Professor McGonagall’s office and one to her private rooms. With one last look around to make sure everything was up to scratch Draco tossed some floo powder into the hearth and was whisked away to the Gryffindor common room followed by Harry.

As usual Harry’s landed in a heap on the floor. Even with his brother there to catch him. “Graceful as ever,” Draco said snidely as help his brother to his feet.

“He should take ballet lessons,” Fred said.

“A few misses with the throws,” added George.

“And he’ll desperate to get it right,” they finished together as they attempted to pirouette around the room.

“Very funny guys,” Harry snarled doing a good imitation of his father, “The cat sends good news.”

“Really?” Fred asked excitedly.

“When?” George questioned.

“Soon. Have to wait here,” Harry told them.

***

When they returned to the manor Snape excused himself to go get changed. He returned to find the ladies and Douglas enjoying a nightcap together. The Laird passed him a tumbler with an ample drop in the bottom. It was a nice way to end what had turned out to be a surprisingly good day.

Severus was rather shocked when Douglas handed him a suit bag just before he stepped into the floo. “Thank you for coming with Minnie laddie, even if she did trick ye. Hold on to that,” he said pointing to the bag, “ye might be needing it again. The lads have taken a right shine to ye.”

“Thank you Douglas. I’ll mail that letter first thing in the morning Maggie. It was a pleasure meeting you both,” the Potions Master said.

“The pleasure was ours laddie.”

Tossing down the floo powder Severus called out his destination and was away. Minerva was waiting for him on the other end. She spotted the bag and smiled it seemed Dougie had adopted another one. “Severus thank you so much for going with me,” she told him sincerely. “If you would both excuse me I’m very tired.”

“I had a really nice time Min, thank you for pushing me into going,” Snape said giving the witch a kiss on the cheek then making his way to the door, “Goodnight both of you.”

He knew he was leaving two stunned people behind but it served them right, plotting against him and corrupting his sons. At least he was pretty sure either one or both of them had gotten those two involved somehow. He’d find out eventually.

 

The Plot Thickens

Professor McGonagall hurried to the common room after finding Harry’s note. Opening the door she quickly barked out “Snapes and twins come with me.” Spinning on her heel she marched straight back out. The four teens scrambled behind her. “Here’s everything,” she said handing them the camera and the tapes, “The camera belongs to the Headmaster so be careful with it. What room are you set up in?”

“The Room of Requirement,” George told her.

“We won’t have to leave the floor,” Fred added.

“Harry’s little elf friend is going to help us,” George finished.

“Off you go then. Try to get some sleep.” Minerva sent them on their way then retired to her bed for the night.

***

With Dobby’s help they had everything done within a couple of hours. The twins were used to having to work quickly so as not to be caught red handed. The tape was cued, notices were distributed and photographs were enlarged, printed and placed where they would be seen by the castle’s populace at breakfast.

They were hoping that Snape would think the photos were it and therefore be caught unaware when he attended the ‘special meeting’ in the muggle studies room midmorning. Dobby had charmed the room to into an auditorium. With the desks gone there was more seating and the entire school would easily fit in there. What Harry and Draco hadn’t known was that the school had a video projector that would allow a larger image to be screened. The twins not only knew about it but they knew how to use it.

When all was done they returned to the Gryffindor rooms. Draco was going to spend the night rather than running the risk of getting caught trying to get back to the dungeons. The four teens crept up the stairs and into their respective dorms. Harry lent his brother a pair of pajamas and both boys slipped into the bathroom to change.

“How long do you think we’ll have to avoid Dad for?” Draco asked as they settled into Harry’s bed.

“A few hours at least,” Harry said taking off his glasses, “Night Dragon.”

“Night Griffin.”

Silence filled the room as sleep claimed them.

 

Please Tell Me I Didn’t

Professor Severus Snape awoke from a pleasant dream into a nightmare as the events of the night before came back to him. He could remember quite vividly having been coerced onto the dance floor by a gaggle of McGonagall men urged on by their women. They had tried to teach him the Highland fling or something. He groaned as he climbed out of bed and another memory hit him.

“Surely I didn’t do that,” he said out loud. Images of a brown eyed lady floated through his mind. Oh yes he had. He and Maggie had stopped on the way to the manor and had kissed. Tentively at first but it had soon deepened. Since it was Maggie who had initiated the kiss he knew she wanted it. Out of respect for her loss he wouldn’t have pushed her into that corner.

As he crossed the floor to the ensuite he remembered the letter. He hurried out to his desk and was pleased to see Harry’s owl when he looked at the stand. “Would you deliver a letter for me please Hedwig?” he asked. He watched as the snowy held out her leg for him. “Thank you my lady,” he said as he secured the envelope, “It’s for Potions Mistress Margaret McBride.” He gave Hedwig a treat and she was on her way.

He decided a hot shower was what he needed to clear the rest of the cobwebs from his head. He didn’t think he had drunk that much the night before. Perhaps it was stronger to what he was used to. The heat from the water soon revived him and half an hour later he was ready to face breakfast in the Great Hall.

As he was leaving he saw the notice posted on the back of the front door. It was standard practice when a meeting was called on a weekend.

All staff and students are to attend a health lecture in the muggle studies room at 10.30am today.’

He wondered what the old man was up to as he secured the door and made his way upstairs. He took the teachers’ entrance and in doing so walked right into a trap.

***

The Potions Master’s absence the day before hadn’t gone unnoticed. The students as a whole knew better than to ask where he was so it came as quite a shock when they entered the Great Hall and came face to face with a life size cut out of said man in a kilt with sporran and hose. The vast majority had never seen him without robes on the one exception being the bunny costume last Halloween.

As they sat down they discovered photographs on the table that had been charmed to show a new picture every thirty seconds until the last one then stop. All they had to do was to tell it to repeat and they would show again. There was speculation as to where and how the pictures were taken. Then there was the question to how they came to be in the Great Hall. No doubt the Snape boys were involved and possibly the Weasley twins. Time would tell.

***

As Snape entered the Hall a concealment charm was broken revealing a life size wizarding picture of himself seated in his chair. He knew it had been taken the night before. He remembered that particular moment now. The main course had been served and it had been slices of the different haggis varieties. The first one he had bitten into had been rather hot and he had scolded his tongue.

He had been expecting something like this and if he was going to suffer he knew one naughty kitty who was going to suffer right along with him. Leaving the picture where it was he stalked over to Minerva’s chair and picked her up bodily. He sat down in her chair placing the witch squarely in his lap. “You’re in on this somehow,” he growled softly in her ear, “consider this your penance.”

Professor McGonagall was bright red with embarrassment but she didn’t attempt to get up. If this was the only cost for her devilry then she was willing to pay it. She was relieved actually that she wouldn’t have to be on guard waiting for him to strike.

“Nice pictures, my boy,” Albus said from Snape’s left. He turned to look at the Headmaster and gasped when he saw what he held in his hands. “What is that? Minerva I swear…”

Minerva making the most of Severus’ lapse in concentration transformed into her cat form, jumped from his lap and bolted from the room. ‘So much for being able to relax,’ she thought as she ran for the front stairs of the castle.

***

So Minerva thought she could escape him. He’d wait her out; in the mean time he would work out just who her partner or probably partners in crime were. He looked from Harry to Draco and back again, looking for any sign that they were involved. Both boys returned his looks as if they had nothing to hide.

Severus finished his breakfast and made his escape casting Incendio on every picture he could. Of course once they realised what he was doing the students quickly removed them from the tables.

He descended into the dungeons to brew and plot.

***

Matron Poppy Pomfrey stared at the missive she held in her hand. She wasn’t quite sure what to make of it. At the bottom of a notice about health lecture someone had added a little note. She didn’t recognise the writing or the initials.

‘Dear Madam Pomfrey,

If anybody asks please tell them you’re giving a lecture on the recent outbreak of dragon pox and ways to lessen a person’s chance of getting it.

DFGH’

She decided she would play along since there was no-one in the infirmary at the moment.

 

The Final Act

Students and professors started gathering in the muggle studies room at twenty past ten. Madam Pomfrey, still curious as to what was happening, was hovering at the front of the room as if waiting to start.

The Weasley twins, Harry and Draco were all strategically placed for a quick getaway if need be. Dobby and two other elves were on standby to remove them from the room. Harry had noticed that Professor McGonagall still in her cat form had made her way back into the castle and was currently perched overhead watching.

At precisely ten thirty an amplified voice asked that everyone be seated, the lights in the room were slowly dimmed giving people time to find seats and settle. A countdown test pattern lit up the screen followed by the title ‘The REAL Severus Snape.’

Severus stared in horror as he watched himself being dragged and pushed onto the dance floor the night before. He didn’t remember a piper being there nor did he remember the McGonagall lads posing him like that. He looked like a poorly trained ballerina who had two left feet. Around him students were snickering and giggling. He could hear Hagrid quietly chuckling. When he looked, really looked he could see the funny side of it. He wouldn’t give into the laughter just yet though.

***

Harry and Draco knew they wouldn’t be able to keep their involvement a secret from their father; so to give themselves enough time to escape Snape’s wrath until he calmed down a lot they added closing credits to the footage. The twins had asked to be included that way they just might live a little longer when their mother found out. As the last few minutes began to play the boys made ready their escape. ‘This film was proudly bought to you by Griffin and Dragon Productions in conjunction with Gred and Forge.’

As the images faded and the room began to darken a very sinister voice rose above the noise that was building, “Harry James Tobias, Draco Lucius Severus just you wait ‘til I get my hand on you.”

~Finite~

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2810