Learning to Trust by HPSSFan
Summary: What can happen when Snape is forced to take Harry to a Quidditch match? And what does a Death Eater attack and a loud argument do to destroy their relationship? Entrant in the 2012 Prompt Fest. Prompts: Hit me I dare you, Fight or Flight.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Fic Fests > #14 Prompt Fest 2012 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 3597 Read: 7517 Published: 27 May 2012 Updated: 27 May 2012
Chapter 2 by HPSSFan

Harry ran as fast as he could toward Hogwarts. He didn't stop till he reached the headmaster's office, even though there were yells of protest coming from behind him. The statue in front of the headmaster's office moved aside, even though Harry did not yell the password. Without thinking about what could be going on behind the door, Harry burst into the office.

"Dumbledore!" Harry shouted as he entered.

The headmaster stood up behind his desk, seeing the fear in the child's eyes.

"Snape….Hogsmeade….injured…fight!" Harry shouted between breaths.

Dumbledore looked at Harry horrified as he walked toward the door.
"Harry, you are to stay here and not leave my office." The headmaster spoke as he pushed Harry away from the door, shut it and disappeared.

"Wait….Professor." Harry shouted as he tried feverishly to open the door, but it would not budge.
Looking around, Harry tried to figure out what to do. Snape could be seriously hurt and he was fighting alone. Harry did not want to admit it, but Snape did an amazing job fighting when Harry was there. He took that one…..what was he? Who started the fight? Harry had no idea, but he knew that there were a lot of people in that fight.

Why was it that he and Snape had been targeted? There were so many questions that ran through Harry's head that it made him dizzy.
Harry wanted to go and sit in a chair, but he was unsure if his legs would work properly. He had run so fast for so long. Great stabs of pain riddled Harry's side every time he took a rattling breath. All of this combined told Harry that the floor was okay. When Harry had lowered himself to the floor, he laid down and pressed his hot face to the cool stone floor. It felt so relieving and it allowed Harry to forget the questions that were trapped in his mind.

Harry had no idea how long he had been there and that was what caused him to sit up. His breathing became steadier and less painful as time went on and Harry had to question how long he had been there. What felt like ten or fifteen minutes could have been ten or fifteen seconds. Harry began to wonder if Dumbledore had forgotten about him, but the door crashed open.

Albus Dumbledore charged into the room, holding up Severus Snape. When they reached the desk, Dumbledore sat the potions master on it. Both Professors had red on there hands and Snape had it down one of his arms. Harry jumped up and ran to join the two grown ups.

"Are you going to be okay, Professor?" Harry questioned.

"I will…."Snape answered before taking a sharp breath that was caused by pain.

"Sorry." Harry heard Dumbledore, who was taking off Snape's cloak, whisper.

"I will be fine." Snape finished.

"What happened?" Albus questioned.

"Death eaters." Snape replied as Dumbledore began to role up the injured man's sleeve

"What are death eaters?" Harry questioned.

"They are followers of You Know Who." Snape responded before turning back to Dumbledore. "They acted much braver than I have seen them since he was destroyed. They would never start a fight in the middle of the daytime with me around Harry. They know better than to try it."

"How many?"

"I lost count at sixteen. I definitely know that there were more though."

All the men stopped to look at Snape's arm when his sleeve was pulled up all the way. All along his arm, there were large gashes and it looked like his arm had been burned.

"They only got me a couple times, but most of them missed their target."

"Why do you think they attacked, Professor?"

"I do not know, Potter." Snape answered before turning to Dumbledore. "It was very bold of them to attack in daylight. It was more bold of them to attack without orders. Unless he gave it to them before he was destroyed, but I would have heard about it."

"Just be glad that you are okay, Severus. And be glad that Harry is okay as well."

"I am." Snape spoke out loud. "Believe me." He then whispered under his breath.
The second part of his sentence was not heard because of Harry's sudden outburst.

"Why wouldn't you let me help?" Harry shouted.

Snape turned to Harry in confusion. No, Snape knew exactly what Harry was talking about, but he was caught off guard.

"I could have helped you and you may not have been hurt."

"There were at least 16 death eaters who attacked us today. I was lucky that I am not dead. I am a full grown wizard and I could not defeat them all." Snape stood up off the desk. "You are a mere boy of 11, who by my observation, has no significant magical talent. You and I would both be dead if you chose to fight."

"I didn't choose to fight, for you prohibited me from fighting. I stopped You-Know- Who when I was just a baby. His followers can't be that hard!"

"You are as arrogant as your father, if not more." Snape sneered. "The death eaters are one of the most cruel groups of human beings. They have tortured many relentlessly, driving some to insanity. As for You-Know-Who, you defeated him on a fluke. You can thank your mother for that."

"My mother was dead before he tried to kill me."

"Your mother sacrificed her life for you. It is because of her sacrifice that you are alive! Had your father been alive, he would have understood what her sacrifice meant. He would have understood this even if he was an arrogant bastard. If you do not understand what your mother did for you, then it is you who should be dead."

"Don't say a word against my parents!" Harry shouted, but Snape continued on speaking.

"As for you choosing to fight, I watched you cower behind a large number of crates like a small little girl. Where was your Gryffindor bravery then?" Harry did not answer so Snape kept speaking. "You also defied an order that I gave you and for that, you should receive a detention."

Harry now had something to say, and didn't think twice about saying it.

"How was it that you beat them? You said that you were lucky, but I think you just talked to them. I know that you were a death eater, so why not kill me. You-Know-Who might even congratulate you. You have no right to say anything about my parents, either. You know nothing about my parents!"

"Oh is that so. Your father was an arrogant, witless, and trouble-making arse. Your mother was at one point my best friend. She loved me and not James Potter."

"She didn't love you. No one can love you because you are a greasy haired git."

Snape reached forward and grabbed Harry by the collar. "Watch what you say, boy."

"It's the truth and you know it. You probably gave her a love potion or something."
All Snape could see was red. The boy had struck a nerve. Snape didn't even realize that he was pulling his arm back.

"Hit me, Snape, I dare you!" Harry shouted.
The words had registered to Snape, who seemed to snap out of a trace-like state. His arm had been stopped halfway between his own body and Harry's face. God damn his Snape temper. Harry's face was filled with fear.

"Harry…" Snape whispered. "I'm sorry."

"No, you've always wanted to do that. I can't believe I was worried about you." Harry wrestled away from Snape. "The Death Eaters should have killed you!" Harry shouted, running out of the office.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2820