Imperceptible by lirio de amor
Summary: Sometimes, everything is as it seems. Other times, nothing is what it appears. Harry spends every summer with his relatives, Hermione goes home to her muggle family, and they both hate Draco Malfoy. Except none of this is true. The truth lies in secrets, secrets that are buried so deeply that life is often…Imperceptible. entrant into the 2012 prompt fest. Prompts: We all fall down, Time was running out.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Fic Fests > #14 Prompt Fest 2012 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix, Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lucius, McGonagall, Narcissa, Neville, Pomfrey, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Drug use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 48148 Read: 62024 Published: 31 May 2012 Updated: 31 May 2012
Epilogue by lirio de amor

By September, the wizarding world was finally beginning to settle down. The Daily Prophet, which had immediately opened back up after the battle, finally stopped talking about the war and those who had fought in it. School started, and finally….finally, people were going on with their lives.

 

Those who died would go down in history. So would those who fought. The scenes would be talked about in history classes.

 

But many simply wanted to forget, so they pushed the memories behind them as much as they could.

 

One thing impossible for people to forget, especially Harry, was Dumbledore. His story was emblazoned in the headlines of the Daily Prophet. He was dosed with veritaserum and questioned continuously. Although he was not at fault for what happened, many would never trust him. Harry especially could not look at the man without having flashbacks.

 

Without having to be prompted, Dumbledore decided to move out of the country. The years had not been easy on him in the stasis ball, and with the Ministry of Magic’s decision to not allow him to come back as Headmaster after so many years of absence, he felt that the next step was to move somewhere warm and tropical.

 

This decision was made easier with an offer made by Sirius Black. The man had an old family home on an island in the Caribbean that he never used. The island was private and no one else ever visited it, so it would be the perfect place for the man to retire and to live out the rest of his days in peace and quiet. With the help of a house elf to go and buy him things, it would be nice to be somewhere where he would not remind people of war and could rest.

 

Another issue became apparent soon after. While many children had been left orphans after the battle, most of them had other family members to depend on. Except for the little boy Rosemerta had saved.

 

After long discussions with one another, and then Harry, Severus and Rosemerta decided to take the boy in. At first they decided to keep him until another family was found, but they soon fell in love with the little boy.

 

Mattie Helton became Matthew Snape two weeks before school was to resume.

 

Not all difficulties were easily solved however. Harry, Draco, and Hermione all had trouble adjusting after the war, and were each suffering horrible nightmares. In contrast, it had surprised them all that Mattie didn’t have nightmares. The little boy was perfectly content to live in the moment and not think about what had happened in the past.

 

To aid with his nightmares of the battle, Draco found solace with his father. The two would sit in silence, never needing to talk. It was exactly what Draco needed. The quiet strength of his father; no pressure, just peace.

 

Hermione’s method in finding help was quite different. She wanted to be everywhere that

 

Narcissa was, not wanting to let the older woman out of sight, and wanted to simply sit with Narcissa as much as possible. Sometimes she cried, other times they would talk. Narcissa was never sure what kind of day it would be when she got up. There were many nights when Hermione would wake from night terrors and need to be reassured that everything was okay, that she was safe.

 

Harry was the worst. So much had happened to him over the years that everything was slowly catching up to him. For weeks he would beg his parents nightly to allow him to sleep on the floor in their room. Yet to keep from starting a bad habit with the boy, Severus and Rosemerta took turns lying with Harry until he fell asleep. Most nights it worked.

 

But, overall, the wizarding world had never been safer. Sixteenth birthdays passed, and along with it, a new school year started.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

“Harry, stop!” Hermione laughed, trying to get away from Harry as they walked into the Great Hall for supper.

 

“Mr. Snape, you will unhand Miss Black this instant. You are in school, show a little decorum.” Severus Snape said as he passed the two. Harry stopped immediately; he knew better than to test his father while they were at school. He had learned quite quickly when term started that just because everyone now knew about their relationship and they no longer had to pretend, that his father was still strict.

 

Harry looked at Hermione and grinned impishly.

 

“Uncle Sev is really no different than he was before. Not here. He was always the same at home.” Hermione remarked as she watched Severus walk to the front of the Great Hall and sat down beside Rosemerta on the dais.

 

Harry looked ill when he watched his father lean over and kiss his mum on the cheek.

 

“I dunno. He is a bit different. I wish he wouldn’t do that in front of everyone. It is embarrassing.”

 

Hermione laughed.

 

“Oh, Harry. Remember that when we have children.” She whispered. Harry blushed again. The final battle had caused their bond to strengthen beyond all measure. They had always known that they belonged to each other, but now they could feel it. Narcissa had caught the duo making out in her rose garden right before they were to return to school. Narcissa had carted Hermione off to her room to give her a thorough dressing down, and Severus had, for what felt like the millionth time to Harry, done the same with him. It had been, by far, the most intensive talk Severus had ever given the boy.

 

“Don’t let anyone hear you say anything about children. I don’t know if I can handle Dad giving me a talk so close to this last one. It was probably the most detailed he had ever been. Even Mum threw in her two cents.” Harry said.

 

Again, Hermione laughed.

 

“You aren’t telling me anything that I don’t know. Mum lectured me for two hours and then told me that just because you and I were bonded and rid the world of a mad man, that it did not mean that we were ready for that step in a relationship. I promised her we would both finish school first.” Hermione said, suddenly quite serious.

 

Harry nodded. He, too, had promised his parents.

 

They finally reached a table and sat down at it and looked up at the head table. Professor McGonagall, the headmistress of Hogwarts, sat in the middle. The end of the war had been gentle to her, easing the stress she had felt for years. Being headmistress also sat well with the regal woman. Hogwarts had never run so smoothly.

 

Severus was the deputy headmaster, and this position set well with him also. While he was not the harsh and cruel man he had pretended to be for so many years, he was still not one to mess with. Students now obeyed him out of respect as well as fear. Severus was okay with that. It kept them from blowing up his potions lab.

 

Mattie was sitting beside Rosemerta, but then he whispered in her ear and traded places with her so that he could sit between Severus and Rose. Harry smiled. While he had agreed with his parents adopting Mattie, there were still days he felt jealous of the eight year old. Why should the boy have his family out in the open when he had had to hide for so long?

 

But then Harry would become ashamed of himself and would go hide in his room in his parents quarters until one or both came in and talked to him about it. His insecurities were another side effect of the war, but they were becoming less and less so. He did love Mattie, and hoped the little boy would never realize that he was sometimes jealous of him.

 

“Hey, Harry! Ron and I are going down to the quidditch pitch after we eat. You wanna go down?” Draco asked, sliding onto the seat beside Harry. No one cared where they sat anymore, and there were more and more people sitting with siblings and friends from other houses. Draco was always seen sitting with his family now, and often other Slytherins would sit with him.

 

Perhaps the biggest change for Draco had been his friendship with Ron. The two were always seen together. They were very similar and liked all of the same things. Harry was pleased. Both boys were his best friends, and now the three of them could be friends together.

 

“Yea, but Dad sent me a note earlier that said I had to come meet him and Mum after supper.” Harry said.

 

Draco looked at him, his eyebrows raised.

 

“You don’t think they found out do you? You know if they did my Mum and Dad will find out and then they will know that Hermione helped us because there is no way that we could do it alone, and you know what Mum told her the last time!” Draco hissed.

 

“Do you think that he will tell my parents if he knows?” Ron asked, his face suddenly pale. He had spent quite a bit of time with Harry, Draco, and Hermione at the Manor and while he had more respect for Severus Snape than he had ever had before, he was still terrified of the man.

 

“Probably if he knows, but I don’t know. Maybe he doesn’t know anything. I mean, normally he would call out everyone he felt was in on a scheme if he does know.” Harry said, taking a bite of his dinner.

 

“I don’t think that he does. Besides we haven’t even used it yet. We weren’t planning on using it until this weekend. How would Uncle Sev find out? Perhaps he only wants to talk to you about school or something.” Hermione said. It had taken her a while to talk herself into brewing any potion because it made her think of Bellatrix, her mother, her savior.

 

But Hermione was slowly coming to terms with the fact that her mother had not only died, but that she never really got to know the woman. It had taken many talks with Narcissa for her to overcome the fact that she had played the two women, both her mothers, against one another during the short time they were all together.

 

“Well, I better go. Mum just left with the Brat, so Dad will follow before long. I almost forgot to tell you guys though…Tom is coming by next week. Since he is on the Board of Governors now, he can come and go. He said he’d like to eat lunch with us.” Harry said, getting up from the table.

 

“Of course, Harry. I will see you tonight. Hopefully alive. And don’t call Mattie a brat. You know that it makes Aunt Rose and Uncle Sev angry even if it is a term of endearment between the two of you. I still haven’t a clue why he decided it was appropriate to call you Pothead.” Hermione said, laughing, though slightly serious. Even with the ups and downs with everyone, Harry and Mattie got along exceedingly well despite the days they sometimes had arguing with one another. They were true siblings, that was for sure.

 

“Yea, yea. That wasn’t me. Besides, Dad got him for that. He doesn’t call me that anymore. I will talk to you later.” Harry smiled and waved at the group.

 

His nerves didn’t hit until he was in front of the portrait leading to their family quarters.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Severus Snape had never been as happy as he was now. His son was alive and on the road to more happiness and acceptance than he had ever had in his short life, his wife was alive and well, and he had another son, albeit adopted. That did not, however, mean that Mattie was any less his son to him. He loved that little boy just as much as Harry.

 

Severus watched Harry leave the Great Hall and then watched the boy sneak a look back at him. He merely shook his head and then headed towards the side entrance and started walking towards their rooms.

 

He knew that Harry and the other children were hiding something, though Harry had just told him as much. The boy could lie to many, but never to him or Rosemerta. Severus was thankful for that one reprieve.

 

Severus walked through the portrait and into the family room.

 

“Mum, come on.” He heard Harry whine. The boy was sixteen years old and was still so whiny at times. Severus knew that it was mostly after effects of the war, and many children were

 

feeling those effects. Often, though, his son and friends acted much older than they were.

 

“Harrison, no. Now, please go sit. Your father will be here in a minute.”

 

“Mum…”

 

“Harrison Snape. Did your mother not just tell you to go sit on the sofa?” Severus said as he walked into the room with his robes billowing behind him. In Severus’ favorite armchair Mattie was sitting, his legs Indian style in the seat. He was stifling his giggles behind his hand.

 

He loved his big brother, but it was kinda funny when he got into trouble.

 

“Shut it, Brat!” Harry said.

 

“Nevaaaa evaaaaa, Pothead!” Mattie said in a fit of laughter.

 

Severus rolled his eyes.

 

“Both of you, to the corner.” Rosemerta snapped. Severus looked over at her to see if she was serious.

 

She was. In fact, Severus almost felt like he needed to go to the corner as well. Her glare had both boys running to opposite corners.

 

Severus walked over to Rose and kissed her on the cheek. Rose leaned into the kiss for several moments and then handed Severus the potions vial in her hand.

 

“Mattie, dear, are you going to call your brother that again?”

 

“No ma’am.” The little boy squeaked. Both adults could tell that the child was trying not to laugh. He was such a good natured child, even after everything he had been through in his short life.

 

“Okay. Then I want you to go to your room while Daddy and I talk to Harry. You should write an apology the best you can to Harry for calling him that.”

 

The little boy nodded and quickly ran to his room.

 

Harry sighed. He wanted out of the corner. It was ridiculous. He was sixteen now. Way too old to be in the corner.

 

“Harry, love, come here and sit. We want to talk to you.” Again, it was Rosemerta who spoke.

 

Harry walked over to the couch as if he was on death row. He sat down, and only then did he look up at his parents.

 

Severus was sitting in his favorite armchair, and Rose was sitting on the arm of the chair.

 

In Severus’ hand was a potions vial with a sunshine yellow potion in it.

 

Harry’s eyes grew large. Yep, this was exactly what he had feared.

 

“I was quite surprised to come across this potion. I had a feeling that it was yours. Was I correct?” Severus asked. Harry swallowed deeply and looked at the floor. He did, however, nod his head quickly.

 

“Verbal answer, please.”

 

“Yes, sir. It is mine.”

 

“Thank you for being honest. You know, however, that you have been forbidden to use this potion once before. Why is it that your mother found this when she was picking up your dirty clothes from the bathroom?”

 

Harry swallowed deeply. He wanted to accuse both of his parents of invading his personal space, but at the moment he wasn’t quite that stupid. He knew that until he owned his own home, made his own money, and bought his own things, he didn’t really have personal space. Only the idea of personal space.

 

“I’m sorry.” Harry said.

 

“Did you use any of it?” Severus asked him.

 

“No, sir.”

 

“Go get your friends. Each friend who was has a vial of this. I will know if you don’t. Now.”

 

Harry’s eyes widened and he nodded. He didn’t have it in him to refuse.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Severus watched as the four teenagers walked into his quarters with looks of dread. He knew who Harry would bring back with him. It was, however, a shock, when Neville Longbottom followed from behind.

 

Draco had entered first, followed by Ron, Harry, and Hermione. Neville had politely closed the door behind him, and followed the rest of his friends into the family room.

 

Hermione hadn’t looked up until she sat down beside Harry. But when she did, she would have preferred that she hadn’t.

 

“Hermione Cassandra Black, I cannot believe that you would make this potion after you were strictly forbidden from doing so.”

 

Crap.

 

It was her mum. Narcissa. The one woman who was always there for her. Realization hit Hermione. This was the first real time that she had gotten into real trouble since before the battle. It made her feel…somewhat normal. It was weird, in a way, but so true.

 

“I will be right back. It looks like I have to Floo one more household.” Severus said quietly.

 

“Ronald, you may have been only six when Charlie thought he would try the Euphoria Elixir,

 

but I know that you remember how much trouble he got into!” Molly Weasley bellowed. Arthur Weasley did not look any happier, though he really hadn’t been surprised. The only one of their children who hadn’t tried besides Ginny was Percy. Neither liked to be reminded that their third child had had a vindictive streak the size of England, and would remain in Azkaban for the rest of his life.

 

“Errr, yea, I remember.” Ron said, his face red.

 

“Draco, you too, were warned about using this, were you not?” Lucius asked.

 

Draco nodded. He knew he was in trouble, and he sure didn’t need to add any fuel to the fire.

 

Suddenly, from Severus’ study, came three people. Severus, closely followed by Alice and Frank Longbottom.

 

Neville was hit with strong emotions. Part of him was upset that he was in trouble with his parents.

 

But then, there was something else. Pride? Excitement?

 

Neville felt…pleased. For the first time in his life his parents were the ones called when he was in trouble. He didn’t care that he was in trouble. His parents were here and well. That was all that mattered.

 

“Now, we have called you all here for one reason, and one reason only.” Severus began. The five teenagers swallowed and looked at their parents, “So, we are going to sit here while you take this potion.”

 

Their eyes had been big before, but they were huge now.

 

“Dad, no!” Harry said. He may have wanted to try that potion with his friends, but not while he had an audience.

 

“Why not, Harrison? You wanted to try it so badly before.”

 

“Dad!” Harry said, embarrassed. He no longer had any desire to take that potion. No desire at all. It had suddenly lost all appeal.

 

“Mum, Dad….Uncle Sev…I don’t want to try it anymore.” Hermione whispered.

 

The teenagers behind her started nodding. No, they all felt the same. The appeal was no longer there.

 

“Fine then. However, it has been discussed, and the next time you all decide to venture into potion making substances in which you should not, you will be significantly punished for your behavior. Am I understood?” Severus said, leaning in ever so slightly to ensure that each of the children would hear his every word.

 

All five children were nodding in the affirmative with gusto.

 

“Fine. As of right now, your parents all want to take you home overnight. We realize that you

 

have all been through more than any of you ever should have been in your short sixteen years. But you all must remember that you are still young, you still have plenty to learn, and as your parents, we are always going to be here, whether you want that or not.”

 

Each child knew that what Severus said was true. But, really, they didn’t mind so much. They were just glad that they had family. Family that loved, supported, and took care of them.

 

It was all that mattered.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Severus and Rosemerta lay in bed that night, neither saying much, but both content to lay in one another’s arms.

 

Harry was in bed, asleep. He had overcome his embarrassment and had played a game of exploding snap with Mattie before bed. None of the parents were really mad about the Euphoria Elixir. On the contrary, they were pleased that their children were acting like normal teenagers, even if the normal things were those children getting into trouble.

 

They had, after all, never really been ones to stay out of minor trouble. So it was actually quite comforting.

 

“Everything is going back to normal.” Rosemerta whispered from her husband’s chest.

 

“It is. It will take a while for everything to settle down, and there will be points when it will sneak back up into our lives and we will have to remember. It will be a flashback, a nightmare, a saying. But we will get over it. We will grow.” Severus told her, holding onto her tightly.

 

“And, we have our babies. Harry and Mattie. And we have our extended family. One day, Harry and Hermione will marry. Our lives will be full of happiness now, won’t it, Sev?” Rosemerta asked.

 

“Always.”

 

Rose smiled and sighed with contentment, and Severus leaned down and kissed her head.

 

And all was well.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2824