The Tower by Con Moto
Summary: The Astronomy Tower had always been lonely. But sometimes we all need a lonely place. Entry in the 2012 Prompt Fest. Prompts: broken butterfly wing, insomnia
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Fic Fests > #14 Prompt Fest 2012 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: None
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 384 Read: 1789 Published: 31 May 2012 Updated: 31 May 2012
Story Notes:
Harry Potter is not mine. If it was I'd be rich and famous instead of a schoolgirl living off her parents.

Betaed by my amazing sister who I'm greatly indebted to.

It doesn't really matter when this was set, but it's before Snape killed Dumbledore.
Anyway, enjoy!

1. The Tower by Con Moto

The Tower by Con Moto

The top of the Astronomy Tower was always a lonely place. Stretching high up into the clouds, a misty air hung about it like a veil. The murky waters of the black lake could be seen for miles with the mountains on the horizon. It was lonely.

 

Quiet.

 

Peaceful.

 

Especially at night.

 

Just the way Harry liked it.

 

Harry sat cross legged on the floor of the astronomy tower, gazing up at the clouds. Stars are impossible to see, he mused. Way too cloudy. 

 

He shivered slightly in contentment. Why did he ever complain about insomnia when there were glorious nights like this to sit through? The stars may not have been apparent but the crescent moon was visible and moonlight bathed the tower in a glow as delicate and soft as a broken butterfly wing. The distant lap of the water below could be heard, gently nudging at the rocks. It was hardly cold. A soft breeze ruffled Harry hair a little as it wafted past, heading towards the lake. 

 

I wonder whether it will rain tonight...

 

* * *

 

Severus' midnight rounds were over. He was hardly at peace though. The day's events were buzzing uncomfortably in his mind and he needed to vent his frustration.

 

He glided up a flight of stairs almost eagerly in anticipation. He had waited all day to visit the haven that was offered at the top of the tower. Severus would spend all of tomorrow in anticipation too, his insatiable thirst to be up there reignited. 

 

As he climbed, he imagined the indescribable feeling of all his worries slipping away. He would stand at the edge of the tower and look up at the clouds and fly among them. The weight on his mind would then be lifted. 

 

The Astronomy Tower was always a good place to unwind. It was lonely.

 

Quiet.

 

Peaceful. 

 

Especially at night.

 

Just the way Severus liked it.

 

I wonder if Potter will be up there tonight. I can't imagine where the boy goes on the days he isn't in the tower. He is a strange child.

 

Severus heard a clap of thunder in the distance.

 

It's going to rain tonight.

 

The End.
End Notes:
I hope you all enjoyed that!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2825