Challenges by HPSSFan
Summary: Life can be a challenging thing. How can Harry and Snape handle one challenge that leads to many more challenges? How will this test their relationship?
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Lily, Lucius, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Original Character, Other, Remus, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped, Physical Impairment
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Physical Punishment Spanking, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 31220 Read: 92546 Published: 12 Jun 2012 Updated: 15 Aug 2012
The Sixth Challenge by HPSSFan
Author's Notes:
So it has finally returned. I'm sorry it took so long, yeah writers block.

They went home by the end of that week. Snape lived in a town named Godric's Hallow, which had been where Harry's parents lived before they were killed. When they arrived at Snape's house, everything had been brought from Hogwarts. Also by the time they had arrived, Harry had heard from Ron and Hermione.

"Prongs, we are so glad that you have given us this great news. We've been worried for a long time about you and your father. We are glad that everyone is alive and healthy. Your letter came to us just in time. We had just finished reading it when we were called to the headmaster's office. He attempted to use veritaserum on us. Luckily, The Slug doesn't keep his stores secured well. I managed to grab some veritaserum antidote in case we needed it. When the truth serum didn't work, he attempted to erase our memories. What he didn't know was that we had taken a potion that stops your memory from being erased. We are getting ready to go. We will let you know where we are when we get there. Please stay safe.
Otter."

When Harry read that letter, he was furious. His professor...no, his father was even more furious, if that was possible. Both Snape and Harry decided that it was a good idea to have a few days of rest before starting any lessons. Snape set a few ground rules about being under the Snape roof. Harry had a few chores to do, he would be given time to fly after a few weeks. He would not attempt to fly in those weeks because his father wanted to make sure that he was properly healed to fly. He would also need to have any lesson work cleared by his father. If Harry disobeyed or was disrespectful to Snape, he would have privileges taken away from him. Snape promised that he would never raise a hand to Harry.

The days before lessons started, Snape and Harry spent most of the day together. They were trying to get to know the person they should have spent their entire lives with. Harry learned that his father once loved flying, much like Harry loves it now. He also loved to read and played music. He still loves to read, but it has been a while since he has played music. Snape plays an instrument called the guitar, which is a muggle stringed instrument. It was how Snape won over Lily's heart actually, by playing the guitar. Snape had taught Lily and he was more than happy to teach Harry.

Those few days passed quickly and soon Harry had to start taking lessons. That also meant that his day became more structured. He would wake up, get dressed, eat breakfast, do his chores (clean some dishes and maintain the neatness of his room). After his chores, Harry and Snape both had physical therapy. The mediwitch who was in charge of their therapy came to them, which they were grateful for. Harry and Snape worked together, helping each other and encouraging each other to do better than they had the day before. They devoted the entire morning to physical therapy before having lunch.

The afternoon was devoted to lessons. Snape was able to remove the trace from Harry, which allowed Snape to teach Harry charms and defense against the dark arts, as well as his own speciality Potions. Twice a week, Professor McGonagall came and taught Transfiguration to Harry. That was the only time that they heard news from Hogwarts. It was after a few weeks that her visits became a once a week occurrence. When she returned the next week, she only brought grievous news.

"Albus is cracking down. Staff is only allowed to leave under extreme circumstances and he is watching our movements. He has a type of trace on us. Luckily, my father lives next door and your house hides my trace. He has also been giving detentions left and right. Somehow, news of what has happened between the three of you has spread. It is also become common knowledge that you, Harry, are not coming back and that your friends have left as well. Also, the students know that your fall was not accidental, Severus. Your house is leading the strike against Albus. All the students believe that Dumbledore endangered both of you." 

"Even though the students are striking against him, Albus still has a strong hold over the public. The Order hasn't met in a long time. Anyone who knows what happened won't join the fight alongside Dumbledore. You-Know-Who is still increasing his forces."

"We heard." Snape began. "He broke everyone out from Azkaban."

"That is indeed true. We don't know how many he has added to his forces because of that. I have something you asked for." McGonagall said, reaching into her green robes.

She pulled out a phial and handed it to Snape.

"Is this?" Snape questioned in a whisper.

"It is. Your memories were right where you said they would be."

"How did you get it? I thought, after what happened at the hospital, he would keep it under lock and key."

"You may think that your little snakes are the only sly kids in the school. I have some cubs who know how to weasel their way into situations. I had one of my students take it while he was teaching a defense class. He has yet to find someone to replace you."

It was news like this that both worried, but gave hope to father and son.

"It seems that more people are behind you now, more than ever." McGonagall added to Harry before beginning that lesson.

After lessons, Harry and Snape would eat dinner. The rest of the night was Harry's after he showed a list of the most important things he learned that day. If he missed anything, Snape would remind him about it, have Harry repeat it back to him before his son would have to write it down on the list.
Lessons went smoothly. Harry was good at most of them, the only exception was potions. He was just as bad learning at home as he was at school. He just couldn't get the hang of it. Snape was very patient with him, but he would get angry when Harry repeatedly made the same mistake each time.

"Come on Harry. Three quills." Snape admonished one day, clearing a botched potion for Harry's cauldron.

"I did put in three quills. I've been putting in three quills every time. I don't know why it's not working."

"You're doing something wrong."

"I'm trying!" Harry shouted.

"Watch your voice levels, young man." Snape warned

Harry laid his head on the table.

"Sorry, dad." He mumbled.

"I think it's time for a break anyways. Potions is a very difficult subject to master. It took me almost twenty years to master it, even though I had a very good starting basis."

"Dad, can I ask you a question?"

"Yes, you may."

"What is a horocrux?"

The look on Snape's face was one of shock. It made Harry think that he had said something wrong.

"Where did you hear that term?"

"Dumbledore had been giving me special lessons."Harry began.

"Yes, I know. It got you out of a few of my detentions."

"During these lessons, he showed me memories that pertain to You-Know-Who. At our last lesson, I heard him bring up that term to Professor Slughorn. The memory seemed to be modified and Dumbledore wanted me to get the actual memory. That never happened though."

"And You-Know-Who specifically asked what a horocrux was?" Harry shook his head yes. "Well, a horocrux is an object that someone places a part of their soul into it."

"How does someone do that?"

"Well, they have to split it."

"Split it!?" Harry exclaimed. "How does that work?"

"They must do the most inhumane thing that exists in our world."

"Which is?"

"To kill for one's own personal gain. Once you split your soul you become, essentially, invincible."

The room stayed silent for a few minutes.

"So these objects would be of significance to that person?" Harry asked.

"In theory, it would be."

 "Is it possible for someone to split their soul more than once?"

"It is possible, but your soul would become very unstable. Why are you interested in these?"

"What if You-Know-Who made them? These memories that Dumbledore showed me all revolved around a specific object that was tied to Hogwarts. That was something of significance to You-Know-Who. He killed the former owners of those objects in order to obtain them."

"I've never heard him talk about these objects, but it is possible that he could have made them."

"I think that I've destroyed on."

"What?"

"Down in the chamber of secrets my second year. I stabbed his diary and the memory of Tom Riddle seemed to explode."
"That would seem to be the desired result when a horocrux is destroyed, but I would not know. Not even our oldest writings would tell us what would happen. I would not pass it by him to create them."

"I think Dumbledore may have destroyed one as well. He showed me a memory about a ring that Riddle's Grandfather owned. Dumbledore had it, then it was gone."

"I can tell you for sure that he did destroy a ring in order to stop a dark spell that it hid. Whether this is the ring you are talking about, I do not know. Even Dumbledore hid things from me."

"Is that how his hand turned like that?"

"Yes. He had me make a potion that would slow down the spell from spreading."

It stayed silent for a few more seconds.

"Dad, can I ask you something else?" Snape nodded his head in agreement. "How did Riddle find out about the prophecy?"Snape knew that this question would come up sooner or later, but he never could figure out how to put it gently to his son. He knew that this conversation was going to be a very uncomfortable one.

"How do you know, when I tell you the answer, that I am telling the truth?"

"I don't know." Harry responded. "I'm trusting you to tell me the truth."

"Very well." Snape thought. "As you know, I went to

Dumbledore after I heard it. I thought that he might be able to do something. I was the one who told him to change the prophecy. I was the one who came up with the line "born to parents who have thrice defied him." Had I known that James had also defied him three times, I would have never said that. Also, had I known that information, I know that Frank and Alice Longbottom would be fighting besides us now."

"We changed the prophecy, but I had no intention of him finding out. I was never planning on telling him. When I told that to Dumbledore, he reminded me that I was suppose to be the Dark Lord's double agent, so he needed to know.  I should have outright refused to tell Riddle, but I didn't. I am the reason that he found out about the prophecy. The Longbottom's, and more importantly, Lily's death was caused by me and it is my fault that they are dead."
The silence that fell between the two of them was tense and awkward. Then that silence ceased to exist.

"Please, tell me that you are lying to me. Please dad. You're lying to me, aren't you?" Harry asked in a calm whisper.

"I wish I were, Harry. I really wish I were." Snape replied.

"You are the reason that mom is gone. Did you even care about her?"

"Of course, I did. I still care about her."

"Apparently, you cared more about your role in the war than you did about your own family!" Harry shouted.

"I changed the prophecy to..." Snape began to argue, but Harry cut him off.

"That meant nothing because she still ended up dead. I was still placed with abusive muggles and we weren't the only family hurt!" Harry was now standing up. "You could have done more and you know it."

"Of course, I know." Snape spoke softly, almost ashamed of what he had done.

"I can't believe you. Everyone told me that there was more to you, but I did get one thing right. You're a Slytherin and you don't care who gets hurt because of you."

Snape was about to protest, but Harry stormed out of the room. Hoping his son would go to his room, Snape held his breath. When he heard the front door slam shut, Snape hid his face in his hands as tears flowed down his cheeks.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2826