Challenges by HPSSFan
Summary: Life can be a challenging thing. How can Harry and Snape handle one challenge that leads to many more challenges? How will this test their relationship?
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Lily, Lucius, Luna, McGonagall, Neville, Original Character, Other, Remus, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped, Physical Impairment
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Physical Punishment Spanking, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 31220 Read: 92549 Published: 12 Jun 2012 Updated: 15 Aug 2012
The Second Challenge by HPSSFan
Author's Notes:
Sorry that this is a fairly short chapter

    Snape had not left the cellar in two days because Harry had started to inch closer to death. Snape would not leave Harry's side, not even to update Albus on Harry's condition. Harry had not woken up in those two days and his own body soon became his enemy. Later in the first day, Harry's face began to turn as red as his Quidditch robes.
      

Snape performed a diagnostic scan and was shocked at how bad it had become. Harry had a 101 degree fever, which could only mean that his body was fighting an infection. Ice packs, placed on Harry's head and the back of his neck, brought the fever down within the hour. When the boy's temperature had come down to a safe level, Snape removed the ice packs and that was the first time in days that Harry woke up.

   "Professor." He whispered.

Harry's words had been slurred even worse than when he first spoke to Snape. Harry tried to sit up, but he cried out in pain.

   "Don't sit up, Potter. Everything is okay." Snape said, carefully helping the child lay back down.

   "Everything hurts." Harry mumbled.

   "I know child, I know." Snape whispered.

   "Professor...am I going to die?"

All Snape could make out was "I" and "die".

   "You listen to me, Harry Potter. You are not going to die. Not if I have anything to say about it."

Snape did not realize that he had taken the boy's hand until he felt his own hand get squeezed weakily

   "You are not going to die." He repeated.

That was the extent of their conversation because seconds later, Harry fell back into an unconscious abyss. Snape gave the boy more potions before he would even allow himself to think about their conversation. Before, Harry begged Snape for death and now he asked if he was going to die. That was, in some people's opinion, a step in the right direction. At least, Harry was fighting to stay alive.

   It hurt Snape to hear that question come out of Harry's mouth. A child should never have to think about that. They should be worried about Quidditch scores or school, but not death. That was especially true when Harry was the child that asked. He life has been filled with death, so the boy should never have to worry about it until he is a ripe old age. If Harry decides to give up, then Snape is the only hope that the boy has.

   Dumbledore assured Snape that Harry would not give up, and neither should the potions master.

   Once an hour, on the hour, Snape would perform a diagnostic scan and record Harry's vitals. Throughout the second night, Harry's vitals began to slip. By four in the morning, they were in free fall. Snape could not stand this anymore. He quickly gathered his supplies and Harry's belongings. He placed them in a bag then shrunk the bag to fit in his pocket.

   "Please, let this be the right thing, Lily." Snape whispered before lifting the boy off the ground.

He took off and out of the cellar, making sure that he was cradling Harry's head neck and back well. Thankfully, no one was awake to hear Snape leave the house with Harry in his arms. Snape would have only one chance to get Harry to help. Hopefully, the boy could handle side along apparation to St. Mungos.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2826