The Almost Half-Finished Jumper by Con Moto
Summary: When tragedy strikes, will the almost half finished green jumper ever be completed? Or will it always lay abandoned on the couch? One thing's for sure. Severus Snape will have to learn how to knit.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Dumbledore, Ginny, James, Lily, McGonagall, Molly, Original Character, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind
Genres: Angst, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 10661 Read: 15542 Published: 17 Jun 2012 Updated: 28 Jan 2014
Story Notes:

Yay, this is my first chaper length fic!

In this story, James, Sirius, Remus and Severus are friends:) 

Disclaimer: I am not J. K. Rowling. Nuff said. 

1. The Jumper by Con Moto

2. Anguish, Resolve and a Promise by Con Moto

3. Laughter is the Best Medicine by Con Moto

4. With the Angels by Con Moto

5. Light at the End of the Tunnel by Con Moto

6. Hope by Con Moto

The Jumper by Con Moto

"Okay, time to start the sleeves. Knit one, purl one, repeat to the end of the row." Lily Snape muttered to herself, her face screwed up in a look of utmost concentration. Thick knitting needles were in her hands and a ball of green yarn rolled about on the floor of the sitting room.

"Must you do that?" Her husband, Severus, stood against the door frame, his long, jean-clad legs crossed.

"Do what?" Lily barely looked up from her knitting. The needles flashed and clacked as Lily worked at a furious speed.

"Give a running commentary of the instructions to that blasted jumper you're knitting.

Lily looked up and smiled. Severus joined her on the squashy couch. "I don't mean to do it, you know. Saying the instructions out loud helps me to understand them."

Knitting had recently become Lily's new hobby. She was constantly gushing over patterns she had found and asked Molly Weasley to teach her how to knit. Lily was very proud when Molly said she was a natural. So, with her new found skill, she decided to knit a jumper for her son Harry. Severus was skeptical, as she insisted on knitting the Muggle way. But he had been surprised so far. At the present time, the jumper was green in colour and almost half finished. Lily had just started on the sleeves. There had only been minor disasters so far and Lily was ecstatic. It was actually quite humorous to watch her excitement. 

Lily held up the jumper in front of her. "It's going to look gorgeous when it's finished. The colour will complement Harry's eyes beautifully. There will be cables and eyelets and- what are you smirking at?" she asked crossly. 

Severus simply smiled and pulled her close. "It will be gorgeous, especially when Harry wears it. You've done a great job so far." He kissed the top of her fiery red head. Lily put down the knitting and snuggled up to her husband. 

"Maybe when this one's done, you'll let me knit you a jumper too."

Severus laughed. "Yes, if I let you." he said dryly. "Knitting's all you've been doing recently, and I'd much rather do something else together." Lily smirked at the innuendo.

They sat in a contented silence for a while, Severus' arms looped around Lily's slim waist. 

Just as Severus was wondering where their son was up too, the sound of three year old feet could be heard, padding lightly on the carpeted floor. Harry Snape entered the room, promptly ran to his father and jumped into his lap.

"Oof! You should be a little more careful around your old daddy, Harry." Severus said teasingly. Little Harry giggled, the sound bringing a smile to his parent's faces. Harry was the joy of Lily and Severus' lives. He had jet black hair from his father and inherited his mother's brilliant green eyes. He constantly sported a mischievous look that Severus was sure didn't come from himself. 

"Silly Daddy! You're not old." Harry then turned to his mother. "Have you been knitting, Mummy?" Lily nodded as Harry's chubby arms reached over her and took the half knitted jumper in his hands. Harry handled it ever so carefully; he didn't want to "drop a stitch", as Mummy always said. He was so excited that he would be a getting a bright green, homemade jumper all for himself. And what's more, one from his own Mummy! Harry felt like a very lucky boy indeed. He felt sorry for all the little girls and boys that didn't get a jumper from their mummies and hoped Mummy would finish his quickly.

"When do you think you'll finish it, Mummy?" Harry asked curiously. 

"Very soon, I expect." Lily answered, ruffling Harry's hair.

"Well I certainly hope it will be finished soon. Remember what we spoke about earlier?" Severus said suggestively. Both he and Lily laughed loudly at Harry's confused expression. 

The little family talked and joked with each other for a while longer. Harry had somehow initiated a tickling fight between his parents and all three of them ended up sprawled on the floor, laughing hysterically.

"I suppose I should make a start on dinner." said Lily, her laughter subsiding as she got to her feet. "Food doesn't cook itse-." But Lily didn't get a chance to finish. She stopped in mid sentence as her face went deathly pale. She swayed violently, and fell to the floor.

"Lily!"

Severus scrambled over to where Lily lay. He checked her breathing. 

Her chest wasn't rising and falling like it should have been. Her red hair flared out around her head and her body was cold. It was almost like she was- 

No, Severus wasn't going to think like that.

Please let her be ok, please let her be ok. Oh God, please help. I love her so much. I need her. Harry needs her. Oh God, I can't live without her.

He checked for a pulse. 

There was none.

Severus leapt to his feet. His mind was reeling. He couldn't formulate coherent thoughts. In a state of shock, he fetched the emergency Portkey and vaguely told a whimpering Harry to hold on to him. Severus made sure Lily was touching the Portkey and activated it without another moment of hesitation.

There was the unpleasant feeling of being tugged behind the navel and the family arrived in the emergency ward of St. Mungos.  

Meanwhile, in the sitting room of 7 Spinners End, the half finished green jumper lay abandoned on the couch.    

To be continued...
End Notes:
Well, that was the first chapter! I hope you liked it. Reviews are most welcome:)
Anguish, Resolve and a Promise by Con Moto
Author's Notes:
I thought I would have this done sooner, but I guess I was wrong:)
Warning: this chapter involves the death of a character. It's not detailed but could be triggering.
Well, enjoy!

The white halls of St. Mungo's were clean and cold as Severus paced. Harry was curled up into a ball on the chairs just outside the room Lily was in. The little boy was asleep. Severus sighed agitatedly and joined Harry on the seat next to him. He smoothed the wayward strands of hair from Harry's forehead. There was nothing to do except wait. And wait. And wait. It was driving him insane. Severus just had to know how Lily was.

She's going to be fine. I know she will. She always pulls through.

Why did she collapse? There was nothing wrong. She had been laughing right before she fell to the ground. Severus pressed the heels of his hands onto his forehead. In all his experience with Potions and a small background in Healing, he could not think of a single illness that would strike someone down just like that. A tear escaped his eye. He dashed it away impatiently and continued to wait.

"Mr Snape?" the Healer's voice called softly some time later. Severus got to his feet in an instant and gathered Harry in his arms. His heart plummeted to the bottom of his chest when he saw the Healer's face. This wasn't good.

"Mr Snape, I'm afraid we have bad news..." the Healer trailed off. Severus bumped him aside and ran into Lily's room. He saw her lying on the bed, as though she was asleep. Her brilliant green eyes were closed and she wore a serene expression. Just as she had been when she was laughing. But Severus knew better. The boy in arms was asleep but his mother was not.

Severus stood next to the bed. He didn't know what to think. He couldn't think. The Healer joined his side. "Mr Snape, my name is Healer Rowan Moore. I'm afraid your wife has passed away. Her whole body just shut down. Its a silent killer in the wizarding world. The body decides that it's simply not going to work anymore. We don't know anything else about this disease as it is so obscure. We don't even have the funds to start researching." Severus stayed silent and Healer Moore sighed and continued.

"I'm so sorry for your loss, I'll let be right outside if you need me." With that, Healer Moore left the room.

Severus was in shock. He saw Lily's body lying out in front of him, but he wasn't really seeing. He did not believe what he saw. It had not sunk in. He cradled Harry closer to his chest. The boy had not woken up yet and Severus didn't want him to wake now. He turned and tripped out of the hospital room in a daze. As soon as he left the room, it all came flooding back.

"Silly Daddy! You're not old."

"When do you think you'll finish it, Mummy?"

"Very soon, I expect."

The family rolling on the floor, laughing hysterically.

Then... The sound of Lily's body hitting the floor.

"Lily!"

"Lily!" Severus let out an anguished sob. He stuffed Harry into the arms of a startled Healer Moore and ran back into the room. He barely made it back to Lily's still form before collapsing at the bed side, shaking with sobs.

Severus didn't, couldn't, say anything. He was beyond that. He cried harder and harder, the heart-rending sobs clawing out of his throat. He felt a hand on his shoulder, but he didn't respond. How could he feel anything now? The most important person in his whole life had left with no warning. Lily would never prance into a room in that dancing way of hers, she would never stare starry-eyed at the night sky, a million thoughts flying across her mind, she would no longer laugh at his jokes. God, she would never, ever pick up her knitting again. Lily was gone. She was gone and was never coming back.

***

"Healer Moore, Alfred is asking for the file- Healer Moore?" a young trainee Healer was trying to get Healer Moore's attention. She knew that a young man and a little boy had come in with a red-headed woman, but other than that, she wasn't quite sure what was going on.

"Healer Moore, are you alright?" she was met with a blank expression on his lined face. She was startled. Her mentor was always so sure of himself and precise in his movements. Now he just seemed lost. He spoke in a low voice.

"Do you know how hard it is to lose a patient? You try everything, everything. All you want is for their heart to just keep beating but it doesn't. They die. And a part of you dies with them. You've failed. It's not just yourself you've failed either. The patient's friends and family, all of them are relying on you." Moore sunk low in his chair, dragging a hand across his weary face.

"As a Healer you are trained for these things to happen. But it doesn't soften the blow. Do you know how old that lady was?" The trainee Healer shook her head. She assumed he was talking about the red-haired lady. Healer Moore had not verbalised it, but she was sure she had passed.

"Twenty three. Just twenty three. You should have seen her husband. I have never seen anyone that distraught. He obviously loved her a great deal."

"Did he go home? He had a child with him too..." the trainee trailed off. Another child had lost his mother. A wave of pity washed through her. How awful. She busied herself making some coffee, an unbidden tear falling from her lashes.

"A friend came for him and his child. Lupin, I believe his name was. He said he would take them back to his place." A steaming mug of coffee was passed to him by his student. Moore smiled at her in thanks and took an invigourating sip.

He had seen many cases like that of Lily Snape's. Five other witches and wizards died from the same or similar symptoms in the past month. It was always the same. The completely normal behaviour followed by a sudden paling of the face and collapsing soon after. The victims were all quite young too, between the ages of twenty and thirty. The worst part of it was that no one had any idea what was causing these sudden deaths. As Head Healer, Moore had teams of people working on this mysterious new disease, but to no avail. The long and short of it was that they had no clue where to start and hardly any funding from the Ministry of Magic. This made research extremely difficult. The hospital needed money, but the Minster for Magic, Millicent Bagnold insisted on training camps for Aurors and the like. It was infuriating.

Moore heaved a great sigh and gulped down the rest of his coffee. He got to feet. It was time for him to leave. "Are you alright to finish up here, Jones?"

"Yes sir. Have a safe trip home. I'll see you tomorrow." the young trainee answered.

"Good night Jones." Moore left his office and walked down the stairs. He passed the room he tried to revive Lily Snape. He noticed that someone had taken away her body. Shaking his head, he walked down another flight of stairs into the reception.

A cacophony of noise greeted him, with witches and wizards suffering from various ailments rushing to the welcome witch. Despite his despondent mood, Moore had to smirk at the witch's face. He couldn't imagine having her job. With a slight inclination of the head in her direction (which was met with a glare), Moore left the building and strolled to the Underground.

He liked taking Muggle transportation. It helped him think. As soon as he boarded the train, the hustle and bustle of the day suddenly seemed insignificant and trivial. It wasn't of course, but sometimes it was nice to feel that it was.

It wasn't that he disliked his job. Quite the opposite actually. Nothing could ever beat the feeling of successfully healing a patient or a making a new medicinal discovery. Except getting married, of course. He smiled softly at what his wife of 35 years would say if he said he felt better doing his job than how he felt on his wedding day.

Nevertheless, no amount of past experience was ever enough when a patient died. His thoughts strayed to the husband of Mrs Snape, Severus and their child. How awful must it be to lose someone like that. Moore wasn't able to get much out of Mr Snape, but he heard him mumble something like "she was laughing". At least Lily Snape was happy when she died.

When Mr Snape passed his son to him when he rushed back into Mrs Snape's room, the little boy woke up. Moore remembered saying him that his name was Harry and other titbits of three year old babble. Poor little Harry.

He found a seat next to an elderly lady as the train left the station with a groan. The lady was knitting. Moore was suddenly reminded of an innocent question he overheard little green-eyed Harry asking his father earlier on.

When will mummy wake up and finish knitting me my jumper?

So she was knitting her son her jumper? Moore closed his eyes sadly. It was unlikely that the garment would ever be completed now. A sudden surge of anger charged through him. This whole situation was so unfair! The hospital needed funding right this instant if a cure for this unknown disease was to be found. Otherwise, if the statistics of the people who were dying from this disease were correct and the figures kept rising, an entire generation would die out!

As the train lurched to a halt, Moore stood up to exit. He was still thinking about Mr Snape and his son.

I will find a cure to the disease that claimed your wife Severus Snape. And if we don't get funding from the Ministry, we will find another way. I promise.

The blasted disease had taken too many lives. Healer Rowan Moore had had enough.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please leave me a review and tell me what you think:) Do you like Healer Moore? He's going to become a pretty big character in this.
I don't think a doctor would be completely unaffected by the death of one of their patients and Healer Moore had just about had enough with not knowing much about this disease and yet so many people die from it.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and remember to review!
Laughter is the Best Medicine by Con Moto
Author's Notes:
Sorry this chapter took so long! I had half of it done but couldn't find inspiration to write the rest.

This chapter starts quite sad but ends on a lighter note.

A soft knock at the door startled Remus Lupin out of his reverie. He lifted his weary body off the couch and went to answer the door. He was almost certain who it was. Sure enough, James Potter and Sirius Black were standing on the threshold. He stepped aside so the pair could enter the house.

"How is he?" James questioned as soon as they were seated in the lounge room. Remus had owled James and Sirius the moment he heard about what happened to Lily.

Remus sighed. "As well as one can expect to be after losing a loved one. I sent Severus straight to bed after giving him a vial of Calming Draught and Dreamless Sleep."

"Does Harry know?" Sirius asked, concerned. He was, after all, the child's godfather.

"He thinks Lily is simply asleep. The poor boy keeps going on about that jumper she was knitting. Harry's asleep in my room at the moment."

Remus twisted his hands in his lap. This was awful. Severus had lost the only woman he had ever loved and Harry had lost his mother.

James fell back against the couch, groaning miserably. "Do the Healers know what happened? I mean, Lily was perfectly healthy!"

Remus shook his head sadly. "I spoke to the Head Healer about it when I went to pick Harry and Severus up. He said it's an unknown disease that is becoming fairly common. Five people have died from it this month alone."

A bleak silence fell upon the room. No one knew what to say and the pain of losing Lily, their dear friend Lily, was almost too much to bear.

Remus slumped low in his seat. He was aware that Sirius and James were conversing in low voices again, but he wasn't listening. How this have happened? He saw Lily earlier that week when he picked up his Wolfsbane Potion from Severus. She was fine, her usual bubbly and cheerful self. Lily had always stood up for Remus and was always there for him, her trust in him never wavering even when she found out about his lycanthropy. She was one of his best friends. And now Lily was gone. Dead. 

Lily Snape is dead.

The realization hit Remus with the force of a herd of stampeding elephants. He felt physically sick, the bile rising up in his throat.

"I need some air." Remus stood and stumbled out of the room. James and Sirius exchanged an alarmed look and rushed after him. They were too late. The splatter of sick against the floor greeted them as they rushed out into the hall. Remus lay slumped on the floor, his hand shakily dabbing at his mouth. Sirius pulled out his wand and cleaned the mess away while James leant at Remus' side.

"Moony..." James didn't know what to say. His friend's face was pale and drawn and the numerous scars that marred his visage stood out like beacons. James squatted down and placed Remus' head on his lap.

"This can't have happened. She didn't deserve to die." Remus moaned, tears leaking from the corners of his eyes.

"We know, Moony." Sirius soothed Remus after cleaning the mess. "What happened hasn't even sunk in yet. I can scarcely believe it. But we need to stay strong and-" Sirius' voice shook and broke off when he saw Remus' tortured expression. He fell against the wall and slid to the floor, his wavy hair flopping in front of his handsome features.

"We need to stay strong for Severus and Harry." James continued. His cheeks glistened with his own tears and a sob threatened to escape.

"They need us more than anything at the moment. It will be ok. We'll all pull through." The trio succumbed to their grief and simply lay in the middle of the floor, glad to at least have each other.

***

Harry's eyes fluttered open as sunlight streamed in through a chink in the curtains. Yawning widely, the little boy climbed out of bed and took in his surroundings. He definitely was not at home. But as soon as he spotted the stuffed toy wolf on the dresser, Harry immediately knew he was in Uncle Moony's house. Uncle Moony loved toy wolves. He had even given Harry one once.

Excited to be at the home of one of his daddy's best friends, Harry ran out of the room as fast as his little legs could carry him. What he saw just outside the hall surprised him greatly. It appeared to be a jumble of body parts, sprawled all over the floor! Yes, he could see an arm, a foot, another arm and a tangle of hair. Harry timidly walked closer, puzzled by this weird shape that prevented him from moving further down the hall.

***

The sun shone unpleasantly in Severus' face as he sat up in bed. He looked around sleepily and took in the surroundings of Remus Lupin's guest room. The events of the previous night came flooding back to him.

Lily.

Severus could no longer cry, no longer feel, no longer care. He was an empty shell, devoid of all emotion. He just didn't have anything left in him. Gone was the heartbreak, and now, replacing it, was this horrid feeling of emptiness.

Severus numbly got out of bed and walked to the en suite. He shut the door and caught his haggard face in the mirror. He was extremely pale with dark purple shadows under both eyes. He needed to shave too, Severus ruminated as he noticed the dark stubble covering his jaw.

He turned the tap and splashed some water on his face. That will have to do for now. 

God, he felt so empty it was unbearable. There was a gaping hole where his heart should have been and it hurt like hell. Lily was gone and taken his heart with her. Dead, gone, never to return.

Severus couldn't remember the last time he felt like this. In fact, he didn't think he had ever felt like this. The only thing that was keeping him alive now was Harry. Harry needs him. Severus needs to be there for his son when he realises what happened to his mummy, needs to be there when he is sad, when he is confused, when he is scar-

"Aaah!"

"Harry!"

***

Harry was staring right at the mass of body parts on the floor. He couldn't make out who it was. Or who it wasn't. Feeling brave (and feeling a need to get past this creature that was blocking his way), Harry bent down, put out a chubby finger and prepared to place it inside an object that appeared to be a nose. Little Harry couldn't be sure, of course. The "nose" was protruding out from a mass of wavy hair. He didn't know if it was actually a "nose" anyway. So, throwing caution to the wind, Harry stuck his finger up the "nose".

An almighty sneeze shook the house.

"Aaah!" screamed a terrified Harry. The jumble of body parts jerked suddenly and three heads popped up from awkward angles.

"Harry!" Severus sprinted out into the hall and skidded to a halt when he spotted the odd scene that was playing out before him.

Harry, who seemed to have gotten over his fright, was peering curiously at the three people in front of him. Remus, James and Sirius were trying desperately to untangle themselves. 

"Achoo!" Sirius sneezed loudly once more.

"Damn you Sirius! What a lovely way to wake someone up!" grumbled James, who was still struggling to sit up.

"Hey, it wasn't my fault! That little imp stuck his finger up my nose! Of course I sneezed, what would you have done?" Sirius complained loudly.

"Guys, shut up! I'm trying to stand up here." Remus said, his voice muffled by a clump of Sirius' hair that had somehow become lodged in his mouth. He finally got to his feet and spotted Severus gaping at the three of them, his mouth shaped in a perfect o. 

"Er, morning Severus?" Remus half greeted, half asked tentatively. "Fancy a spot of breakfast?" Before Severus could respond, there was a loud crash. Remus spun around to see James rubbing his head and Sirius nursing his arm. Muttering and swearing could be heard from the pair.

"You two are insufferable." Remus sighed exasperatedly.

Harry looked from his daddy standing in the middle of the hall, to Uncle Moony and to Uncle Prongs and Padfoot, who were on the floor. The grown ups looked so funny! He couldn't help it. A giggle escaped from his mouth. Everyone stared at him and that just made him giggle even harder. Soon enough, the black haired boy was straight out laughing. Not a moment later, James and Sirius let out a loud snort each. Remus chuckled nervously and chanced a glance at Severus. His jaw was still hanging open. 

"Daddy!" gasped Harry, who had managed to stop laughing for a moment. "You look funny!" and with that, he fell into a heap of giggles once more.

With one glance at his son, Severus was laughing too. And it felt amazing. Perhaps his life was worth living after all. He was suddenly reminded of something he overhead Lily telling Harry once.

"Darling, if ever you are sad or angry, just laugh. Laugh at everything and anything. It doesn't matter what, just laugh. I promise you'll feel better." 

Severus surveyed the scene around him. Lily would have loved this. Harry's melodious laugh was infectious and with Sirius, James and Remus' voices were thrown into the mix, it was like a madhouse. This was all Harry's doing. What would they do without the little imp?

Stay strong for Harry? That's bollocks. My son will stay strong for me.    

To be continued...
End Notes:
What did you think? Please leave a review, they are chocolate to me!


I'm lucky in that I've never experienced the loss of someone close to me, so it can get a little hard for me to imagine what it feels like. Is how I portray Severus believable? Please let me know, I'd really appreciate it.
With the Angels by Con Moto
Author's Notes:
Harry finds out what happened to his Mummy.
A potentially triggering chapter.

"Thank you for the breakfast Remus, but we really must be going." Severus said, plucking Harry up from his chair at the dining table. James and Sirius had already left, having given Severus their condolences and telling him that they would be there for him at any time if he wanted to talk. 

Remus stared hard at Severus. "Are you sure you're alright Severus?" He asked, concerned for his friend. Severus gave a brief but firm nod. "Okay Severus, but please don't hesitate to call if you need anything, anything at all." Remus reached out and grasped Severus' shoulder. Severus didn't like to see his friend so worried about him, but appreciated the gesture nonetheless.

"Thank you again for your kindness Remus. And don't worry, I'll still brew the Wolfsbane for you." Remus snorted as Severus made sure Harry was ready to leave.

"Come along Harry, we're going home now. Say bye to Uncle Moony." Severus said to the small boy who promptly gave Remus a big hug around the knees.

"Bye bye Uncle Moony! I really liked sleeping in your room, but maybe next time I can sleep on the floor like you did!" Harry said brightly. Both men laughed at Harry's declaration. Remus picked him up and gave him a warm hug in return. "You're welcome to stay here anytime you like Harry. But I need to ask you to do something very important." Remus whispered in Harry's ear. "You need to take very good care of your daddy okay? Be a good little boy."

"I promise. I'm very good at looking after my toys, so I can be good at looking after Daddy too." Harry said solemnly.

"Of course you will be." Said Remus as he set the boy back down on the floor. He lead the way to the front door. "Well goodbye you two, take care of yourselves."

"Yes you too Remus. I'll let you know about... future arrangements." Severus said sadly. It only just occurred to him that there would have to be a funeral in the near future and that was something he definitely was not looking forward to.

With an understanding nod from Remus, Severus and Harry Apparated away.

***

The pair arrived just inside the gate of their modest home. A few metres ahead of them was the cream coloured front door. A door which, when opened, would allow Severus and Harry access to the house a wife and mother died in. But of course, Harry didn't know that yet.

Severus stared ahead, the front door staring innocently back. He couldn't go in. 

"Daddy, what's the matter? Are we going inside?" Severus glanced down at his son who was peering anxiously at him.
"Yes of course Harry. Sorry about that, I was feeling a bit dizzy after Apparating." Severus lied. 

"Oh yes Daddy! Sometimes I feel like that too! Don't worry Daddy, I think it's normal." Little Harry assured him. He gave his father a huge grin and bounced towards the front door. "Come on Daddy!"

A slight smile quirked Severus' lips as he observed Harry's antics. But it was a very brief moment of happiness. Steeling himself, Severus took a step towards the front door. It was coming closer, coming closer with every step. Too soon he was at the door he dreaded opening. A door that marked the entrance of the house Lily died in. He almost felt sick with dread. But it was inevitable. He had to open the door.

Taking a deep, calming breath, Severus unlocked the door, watching enviously as Harry cheerfully ran into the house and up the stairs. He still was yet to tell his son what happened to Mummy. A tight knot clenched in Severus' stomach. There it was again. Dread. 

***

When Harry got to his bedroom, he noticed he had forgotten something. Someone, rather. Where was Mummy? He hadn't seen her in a while. A frown creased the small boy's face as he struggled to recall the events of the previous night. Mummy was asleep in the white room wasn't she?

Why didn't we go back and wake her up? Mummy can't be sleepy anymore.

Harry simply couldn't figure it out. If Daddy and he were at home, Mummy had to be with them too. He supposed he should go and ask Daddy about it. Harry plodded out of his bedroom and down the stairs in the very careful way of a three year old. He caught sight of Daddy in the kitchen, nursing a mug of tea.

Daddy looks upset. Maybe he's still feeling dizzy. The young boy thought this had to be the case.

***

As Severus sat at the kitchen bench sipping at his tea, he heard footsteps on the stairs. Harry. Severus knew it was time. He had to explain to his son what happened.

"Hello Daddy! You still look kinda dizzy." Harry chirped.

"Hey there buddy. I'm not dizzy but I need to tell you something." Severus said, almost succeeding in keeping the shakiness of his voice at bay. He gathered Harry up in his arms and sat back down holding his son on his lap.

"But Daddy, I wanted to know where Mummy was. Don't we need to go wake her up?" Harry asked innocently, looking straight into Severus' eyes.

He older man's breath hitched in his throat. "Yes, that was what I was going to talk to you about. Harry, we can't go and wake her up."
Harry giggled. "Yes we can Daddy. It's easy! I jump on you when it's Christmas and that wakes you up."

Severus couldn't manage a smile at Harry's words. "It isn't quite like that, buddy. Mummy's not going to wake up." 

The smile slid off Harry's face in an instant. "What do you mean?"
"Harry, Mummy is with... She's with the angels now." Severus said, choking back a sob. This was the most horrible feeling in the world. He wouldn't wish this feeling on his worst enemy. He was telling a child that his mother died.

"With the angels? Mummy's in the sky isn't she?" Pots and pans started to rattle and the sound of breaking china could be heard. Harry's emotions were too strong and his magic was getting out of control.

"She's in heaven, isn't she? Mummy's DEAD!" Harry screamed, great tears starting to fall down his cheeks. "I want my MUMMY!" With a heart-wrenching shriek, Severus was immobilised as he watched Harry jumped off his lap and sprint out of the kitchen. There was an almighty bang and Severus became aware that Harry's uncontrolled magic had blasted the front door open. This snapped him into action. 

"Harry!" Severus bolted out of the kitchen, but his socked feet slipped on the floor. He fell painfully on his elbow, a stabbing sensation shooting up his arm. "Shit!" Severus cursed as he stumbled to his feet. But he didn't care that his elbow was probably broken. Harry had just run out the door, potentially on to the road.

Severus sprinted out of the house and looked frantically up and down the road, his face the epitome of sheer terror. He couldn't see Harry anywhere.

"HARRY! Please, where are you?" Not knowing where he was going, Severus turned and sprinted up the footpath. "Harry! HARRY! Please come back!" Severus begged, praying with all his might that Harry wasn't hurt. He had just lost Lily. He only had Harry now. He couldn't lose him too.

***

Harry ran. He didn't know where he was going but he didn't care. Mummy was dead and he wanted her back.

"Mummy come back now! You're not dead! Daddy's a big, stupid, ugly liar! YOU'RE NOT DEAD!" Harry shrieked at the top of his lungs, tears cascading down his face. But he still ran as fast as he could. He didn't want to go back.

With tears blurring his vision, Harry couldn't see where he was going at all. He just kept running. Little did he know he was heading straight towards an oncoming car.

***

"Elizabeth, I'm so sorry I had to ruin our outing like this, but this is really urgent." Healer Rowan Moore was at the steering wheel of his car, his wife at his side. Technically the car belonged to his Muggle-born wife who disliked magical modes of travel. 

"Honestly it's fine, dear. I understand what your job involves; I've known it since before I married you." Elizabeth gave her husband a wry smile. "We can always go later."

Rowan laughed. "I can't believe I met someone as understanding as you. But this is very important. Remember how I told you about the Snape's?" His wife nodded. "Well, the victims body is ready to be given to her family so they can have the funeral. I must tell this to Mr. Snape."

"How awful." Elizabeth murmured. They drove in silence for a while. 
Suddenly, a small shape caught Elizabeth's eye. There was someone on the road! "Rowan stop! There's a child on the road!" The car screeched to a halt, mere metres from a shape in the form of a little boy.

***

Finally, Severus caught sight of Harry running across the road. "Harry!" Severus shouted, terrified that a car would come along any moment. He knew he could never get to his son in time if the worst happened; he was too far away.

Harry spun around at the sound of his father's voice. "Go away, I hate you!" Harry screeched, the anger in his voice breaking Severus' heart. The little boy turned on his heel and ran up the road.

"Come back!" Severus bolted from where he was standing on the footpath, but suddenly, something caught his eye. A white car, speeding towards his son.

"Harry!" Severus gave a strangled moan. He was rooted to the spot, he could only watch as the car came closer and closer, he could see Harry's eyes widening as he saw the car. But miraculously, the driver of the car seemed to have seen Harry too.

"Harry," Severus murmured. "You're ok."

To be continued...
End Notes:
I'm sorry for the kind of cliffhanger, but it had to be done! Expect more of Healer Moore in the next chapter, which will most likely be up by mid-November.
Light at the End of the Tunnel by Con Moto

Severus was tired. He was so very, very tired. Yet he could not sleep. His bleary eyes focused on Harry who was curled up in a ball on his lap. There were tear tracks on his face. The boy merely gazed up into Severus' face, not saying anything at all.

He must be exhausted.

"Harry," His hoarse whisper broke the kitchen's silence. The pair had been sitting on the kitchen floor since Healer Moore left earlier that day. Of course it would have been more comfortable in the living room, but neither Severus nor Harry were keen on going in that particular room. "It's time you went to bed buddy."

Harry mumbled something incoherent and pressed his face into his father's stomach. Knowing that Harry would not get up, Severus carefully stood up, holding the boy securely in his arms, making sure not to jolt his elbow too badly. The Skele-Gro was taking effect. Luckily it was just a mild fracture.

Straight to bed with you.

Severus carried his son up the stairs, making sure to grab a vial of Dreamless Sleep on the way to Harry's room. He doubted Harry would even remember being given the potion by morning.

He carefully set his son down on the bed, changing him into pyjamas with a halfhearted flick of his wand. Harry was still gazing up at him. "Stay with me?" Harry asked softly.

Severus' heart broke for Harry. He couldn't imagine what he must be going through. Severus lost his wife and best friend, but to lose a mother... Severus couldn't, wouldn't, compare the deaths of his parents to Lily's passing. He barely knew them. His father was a pitiful drunk and an abusive man and his mother a weak, wasted woman who did not care a whit for her son. Severus did not mourn them, as horrible as it sounded. But Lily... This was entirely different.

"Yes of course Harry. But I must do something first, I won't be more than ten minutes. Will you be okay?" Severus was anxious to get back to Harry as soon as possible, but there was something pressing on his mind. He only just remembered.

Harry nodded wearily. Severus looked around for a moment and spotted Harry's favourite stuffed toy on the bookshelf. It was a doe. Lily bought the toy while shopping one day, falling in love with it instantly.

"Look what I found Sev!" Lily announced as she entered the house.

"Hello love, what have you got there?" Severus strode into the front hall, looking at Lily's shopping. She only went to buy a present for Molly and Arthur's son Ron for his birthday, but it seemed she had bought something extra.
Lily reached into one of her bags and pulled out a light brown furry thing. At least that's what it looked like to Severus.

"What's this?" He asked, smiling.

"It's a stuffed doe. Isn't it lovely? I saw it and just had to buy it for Harry. It's both of us, see?" Both Lily and Severus' Patronus was a doe, a perfect match for each other. Lily leaned in closer to Severus, planting a kiss on his cheek.

"It's perfect Lily flower."

Simple words though they may be, but Lily knew Severus liked it.

Severus plucked it off the shelf and gently handed it to Harry, the boy reaching his chubby arms out for his favourite toy. "Thank you." Harry murmured as his eyes drifted shut. Severus, a small sad smile on his lips, leaned down and kissed Harry's head, soft jet black hair tickling his nose. "I'll be back soon." Severus whispered into his hair. With that, Severus left the room and headed for that dreaded room. The living room.

Severus knew he had to go in. He could not avoid it forever. Too soon he found himself at the doorway. He looked into the room, trying to keep his eyes from watering, his lips from trembling. Everything was so still. He could hardly believe that his beloved Lily had passed away in this very room. The cream coloured walls, the squashy couches, the lamp, the fireplace, they all were mocking him.

Your wife is dead, but here we are, exactly the same. Untouched. Untarnished.

And then... then he caught sight of the half finished jumper, still lying innocently on the couch. It too, mocked him.

A sudden surge of anger coursed through him. He wanted to rip, tear, destroy the wretched jumper. Knitting was the last thing Lily did before she died and it seemed that by destroying the jumper, she would somehow return to life. Breathing heavily, Severus snatched the jumper off the couch, the ball of yarn that was attached to it bouncing on the floor. He barely restrained from tearing the jumper to pieces. Taking a deep breath, Severus tried to calm himself.

Stop. You're being irrational.

Clutching the jumper in a tight fist, he left the room and headed for his bedroom. He didn't have to break it but he never wanted to see the jumper again. Throwing open the bedroom door, Severus stalked to the wardrobe, digging into its depths. It was dark. He hadn't bothered turning on the light and a simple Lumos was beyond him at the moment. His fingers scratched against cardboard and he knew he found what he was looking for. A box. His anger hadn't abated as he slammed the box onto the carpeted floor, took the lid off and flung the jumper into it. The box was then thrown under the bed. Severus hoped with all his heart he would never have to see it again.

The rest of his body caught up with the trauma of the day. He was exhausted. His elbow was sore. Everything was sore. He slumped back on the bed, closing his eyes tightly. How he wished this was all a horrible nightmare. Healer Moore's voice replayed in his mind.

Your wife's body is ready for the funeral.

He couldn't believe that today had only been one day. Remus' house, Healer Moore, talking about the funeral. To top it off, Harry had almost gotten hit by a car for Merlin's sake!

Harry was fine after that ordeal, though a little shaken. Severus could not believe how close Harry had been to death. He remembered how his heart almost stopped in terror, how he was rooted to the spot, unable to move and rescue his son. Thank god Healer Moore stopped the car in time.

***
The car screeched to a halt. Harry looked up, surprise and shock written all over his face. Severus came to his senses and sprinted over to his son and the now stationary car. He saw two people, a man and a woman, scrambling out, anxious to see whether the boy they so very nearly hit was unhurt. There was something familiar about the man. Severus was sure he'd seen him before. His eyes suddenly widened in realisation. Healer Moore!

Severus arrived at the scene just as Moore and the woman, who looked to be his wife, recognised Harry. Moore looked up and caught sight of Severus.

"Mr. Snape! We are so sorry! Your son came from nowhere." He explained. The woman nodded frantically.

Severus inclined his head. "It's not your fault." But that didn't matter at the moment. Severus stooped to Harry's eye level. "Are you alright?" He asked concerned. His voice was calm, but his heart was thumping so hard it hurt. Harry nodded, a tear rolling down his cheek. Then another one came. And another. A sob followed soon after. And then Harry was crying, unable to contain his grief. He launched himself at his father, crying bitterly. Strong arms wrapped around Harry's small body.

"I'm sorry Daddy, I didn't mean it. I don't hate you." Harry sobbed, his voice muffled against his father's chest. Severus didn't say anything. He didn't need to. Harry was safe.

Severus momentarily forgot that they weren't alone. Moore and his wife stood silently, watching. Then Moore spoke. "Mr. Snape we are terribly sorry for all this."

Severus looked up into Moore's worried face. "It's okay, Healer. It was not your fault. You see..." He trailed off, swallowing a sob that was threatening to escape. "I told Harry."

Moore knew exactly what Severus was talking about. He surmised Harry had run away, trying to escape the reality of his mother's death.

"I actually came to tell you something. Perhaps we should find somewhere private?" Moore suggested. "I don't want to trouble you but this is important."

Severus nodded. What Healer Moore had to tell him must be about Lily. "Of course. We can go back to our house, it's not too far."

"Excellent. We can all go in the car if you like?" Moore said, eyeing Severus warily. Driving definitely was not the preferred mode of transport among wizards.

Severus supposed there was no other way. They couldn't just leave the car. "That will be fine." He was about to help Harry into the car when a stabbing sensation shot up his arm. He gasped. It did not go unnoticed by the Healer.

"Are you alright Mr. Snape?"

"Fine. I fell on my elbow before. I only just remembered it now." Severus admitted.

"Perhaps I should take a look?" With Severus' consent, Healer Moore ran a quick diagnostic spell on him. "It's fractured. Some Skele-Gro will fix it up just fine, it's only mild."

"I believe I have some Skele-Gro at home." Severus said. Nodding approvingly, Moore motioned everyone to get in the car. His wife gave him a tentative smile.

"Oh how rude of me! In all this excitement, I've forgotten to introduce my wife, Elizabeth."

***
The three adults were all seated in the kitchen, steaming cups of tea held in their hands. Severus had avoided the living room at all costs. Moore seemed to understand his aversion, suggesting they sit in the kitchen instead. They sipped quietly for a moment when Healer Moore placed his cup on his saucer and broke the silence.

"Mr. Snape, the reason for my visit was to inform you that your wife's body is ready for the funeral." Moore said quietly. He hated this part of his job. It was almost has bad as telling a patients family that they had died. Telling families and friends that a body was ready for the funeral brought on all sorts of emotions. Funerals were final. It signified that a loved one really was gone.

Severus was stunned. This was it. He was going to bury his wife. Moore talked on, mentioning funeral costs and wills. Severus listened, trying to take it in. The words washed over him, overwhelming him.

Lily's really gone.

The time soon came for the Healer and Mrs. Moore to leave. Severus walked them both to the door. When Elizabeth left for the car, Moore turned to Severus. "I couldn't say this before, as Elizabeth is not supposed to hear everything, but we are trying our hardest to find out more about this blasted disease. I swear I will do all I can."

"Yes of course. Thank you very much Healer, your kindness is much appreciated." Severus said gratefully.

Moore gave him a brief smile as they clasped hands. "I'll keep in touch. And please, call me Rowan."

***
Severus eyes flew open. Harry asked for him to stay with him. Soft sunlight was streaming in through the gap in the curtains. It was morning.

"Shit." He muttered. He only meant to close his eyes for a moment, but his body succumbed to its exhaustion. He stood up and stretched, glancing at the clock on the bedside table. 6:05. There was still enough time to go up to Harry.

Severus softly padded up the stairs and entered Harry's room. He was surprised to see his son sitting up in bed, playing with a loose thread on the ear of his doe. Harry looked up when he heard Severus enter the room. "Where were you Daddy?" Harry asked sternly. Or as stern as a three year old could possibly be.

"I'm so sorry buddy. I did what I meant to do and I meant to come back upstairs but I was so tired I fell asleep. When I woke up it was morning." Severus took a seat on the side of Harry's bed. "I am sorry."

"That's okay. I was okay." Harry held up his doe. "She looked after me. And no bad dreams."

"No dreams at all?" Severus asked, carding his fingers through Harry's hair. It seemed the potion had done its job.

"No bad dreams." Harry repeated with a firm nod of his head. "But Mummy came to me."

Severus fingers released Harry's hair. "Mummy came to you?" He asked in a whisper, more to himself than his son.

"Yes. She said I was brave. And you are brave too. And she loves us very, very much." Harry leaned in closer to Severus, as if he wanted to tell him a secret. "I think the angels let Mummy come down and talk to me for a bit." Harry whispered.

Severus smiled. Harry was probably right.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
I know I said this would be up by November, but hey, better late than never right?


So are things beginning to take a turn for the better for Harry and Sev? And what of that jumper that currently resides under Severus' bed? Will Healer Moore be able to find a cure? Stay tuned because these questions will soon be answered!
Hope by Con Moto
Author's Notes:
After a year long hiatus, I have finally decided to continue my story! I'm sorry to anyone who was reading this but the past year had been so incredibly busy and I simply could not find time nor motivation to sit down and write something. This is my longest chapter yet, so consider it as my apology :P

Vivian Ashbury stared up at the fluorescent green ceiling of her childhood bedroom. Normally she would have laughed at the audacity of having a bright green ceiling, but things were different now. She might even have it repainted. Her older brother Robert had dared her to paint it that horrendous colour when she was fifteen, young and rebellious. It didn't matter now. Robert was dead. Struck down by a disease that came out of nowhere. He was a perfectly healthy young man and now he was dead. Vivian's best friend in the whole world had left her and was never coming back.

There was a soft knock on door. Vivian's mother entered, her face lined with misery. "Honey you really should come down and eat something." Cynthia Ashbury's voice was hoarse and cracked. Vivian didn't feel like eating in the slightest but obliged so as not to upset her mother further. She kissed the top of her mother's greying head and followed her out of the green-ceilinged bedroom.

Her brother's funeral was held a few days ago. It was the most horrible experience Vivian had ever faced in all of her twenty four years. Her mother wasn't doing too well either. Vivian had offered to stay with her mother for a few days to look after her and Cynthia had happily agreed. Vivian sighed. It wasn't supposed to be like this. Everything was going to go downhill from here.

"Sit down Mum, I'll make us a cup of tea." Vivian busied herself with the kettle, not bothering to do it with magic. She needed the distraction. She fell deep into thought about her brother and how perfect his life was. He was about to be married to the girl of his dreams, he was a star Quidditch player, he was popular and well-liked by all who knew him. Her mother's voice broke her reverie. "Vivian, look at this." Vivian turned and noticed the Daily Prophet in Cynthia's hands. The headline read YOUNG WOMAN LATEST CASUALTY OF SILENT KILLER. "What? Another one?" Vivian moaned. This was absolutely incomprehensible. This marked the sixth victim of this damned disease and no one in the Wizarding World had any idea what was causing it. Cynthia read the article in a shaking voice.

Lily Snape, 23, has been named the latest victim of a killer that has baffled Healing professionals throughout the Wizarding World. She was reported dead one week ago, but Healers claim she was in perfect physical condition. This is not dissimilar to the five other cases reported this month, the most recent being Robert Ashbury, 26. Mrs Snape leaves behind grieving husband, celebrated Potions Master Severus Snape and their young son. Head Healer at St Mungo's Hospital, Rowan Moore, tried in vain to resuscitate Mrs Snape when she was brought to the hospital. "This disease has well and truly bewildered me. As with the other victims, there was nothing wrong with Mrs Snape. We have teams of people working to find a cure and hope to make a discovery in the near future." He said outside his London home. Meanwhile, Minister for Magic, Millicent Bagnold, refuses to direct funding towards research into this silent killer. In fact, more funding has been providing for the Auror Department at the Ministry of Magic. "I simply do not believe funding for this disease is necessary. Dark Forces are out there right now and our Aurors need the best resources possible if our world is to be kept safe. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has been defeated but with some of his followers still free, they could easily kill more wizards and witches than this disease ever could," A harried Ms Bagnold was reported as saying. Perhaps there is truth in her words but is our trust in the government misplaced in this matter? The number of victims from this disease is steadily rising and a cure must be found as soon as possible.

Cynthia placed the newspaper on the dining table with trembling hands. She looked at her daughter, lost for words. Vivian placed a comforting arm around her mother's shoulders but her mind was elsewhere. She gazed at the young woman smiling up at her from the photograph in the article. Lily Snape. Vivian remembered her as Lily Evans, a cheery girl with flaming red hair who was one year below her at Hogwarts. Vivian felt a pang at her loss. Lily was a nice girl, though she did not know her that well. So she married Severus Snape? It was easy to remember the sullen young man from her own house at Hogwarts. Vivian felt so frustrated. The combined loss of Lily Snape and her beloved brother was too much to bear. She just had to do something. "Vivian, what is the matter? Did you know this girl?" Her mother's voice broke the silence once again.

"As a matter of fact I did. Albeit not very well. She was a year below me at school." Vivian murmured.

"Oh my dear, I'm so sorry." Cynthia said sadly. She held her daughter close to her.

"I have to do something! First Robert, now Lily! Enough is enough!" Vivian exploded, breaking out of Cynthia's grasp and striding towards the kitchen window. Cynthia watched Vivian's back, admiring her daughter. She was always such a strong person but Robert's death had affected her in ways that Cynthia could not imagine. They always got along so well as children and Cynthia was extremely proud to say that she rarely had to tell them off for fighting. She knew that his younger sister meant the world to Robert. How would she go on without him? Cynthia gazed around the kitchen catching sight of the forgotten half made tea. She sighed and Vanished it with a flick of her wand. Tea wasn't a good enough remedy right now. She poured two generous glasses of Firewhisky instead and joined her daughter at the window. Vivian accepted her glass with a sad smile.

"You've always been such a determined young lady, I have no doubt that you will find a way to help fix this." Cynthia said comfortingly.

"Thanks Mum. But I think I should take one step at a time. I think I ought to pay a visit to Severus Snape."

***

Severus, Remus, James, Sirius and Molly and Arthur Weasley were huddled in the cosy living room of the Burrow. Everyone was talking in hushed tones. Lily's funeral had been earlier that day and a somewhat somnolent feeling was palpable in the room. Harry was upstairs playing with the Weasley children and other members of the Order of the Phoenix had been coming and going offering their condolences and support to Severus. The finality of Lily's passing had hit him but he felt slightly better after the funeral. He could not stop thinking about Harry's dream. Or was it a dream? Harry steadfastly believed that the angels had let his Mummy come down and talk to him for a little while and there was no reason as to why Severus would want to dismiss that belief. In fact, he supported it and felt stronger knowing that Lily really was watching over himself and Harry. Nevertheless, he doubted the feeling of Lily's loss would ever leave him.

"She was knitting that jumper for Harry wasn't she?" Molly asked. Severus nodding, his fist inexplicably clenching at the mention of the unfinished jumper. It remained in the box under his bed and definitely was not coming out any time soon. "Perhaps I can finish it off? I know how eager Harry was to wear it." Molly offered. It had been her who had taught Lily how to knit in the first place.

"No Molly, you don't need to burden yourself with it." Severus said shortly.

"Oh it's no trouble..." Molly trailed off at the touch of Arthur's hand on her arm. There was a pained expression on Severus' face and it was clear that he didn't want to talk about the jumper.

The room became silent. All eyes fell upon Severus and Arthur, wanting to provide a distraction, poured out some Firewhisky for everyone. "For Lily." He said strongly and raised his glass. The others copied him, murmuring Lily's name and then falling into silence once more. After downing his glass, Severus broke the silence. "Thank you all so much," he addressed everyone in the living room. "I could never repay the kindness you have shown Harry and I during this trying time and I just want you all to know how grateful I am."

"Well what else are we here for mate?" James asked. "We'd be pretty shit friends if we didn't help you out with all this." James' exclamation garnered a few chuckles. Even Severus couldn't hold back a small smile. "Thank you all the same. But I really think I should take Harry home now, he's had a tiring day and I bet one hundred galleons he won't sleep well tonight." It was left unsaid that Severus was referring to himself too. With understanding nods from everyone, Severus went to fetch Harry and Molly accompanied them to the front door. "Please don't hesitate if you need anything dear."

"Thank you Molly, you've been of such great help." A moment of mutual understanding passed through them. After all, it wasn't too long ago that Molly lost her brothers, Gideon and Fabian. Molly unexpectedly pulled Severus into a motherly hug and whispered, "Everything will be alright." Severus suddenly felt his eyes watering and struggled to hold back tears. He smiled gratefully at her and Apparated back home with Harry.

***

Vivian had been standing outside Snape's house for a while and after deciding no one was home, she turned on her heel ready to head home. Abruptly, the crack of Apparition broke the still night air and Severus Snape and his son appeared in front of her. Severus looked somewhat startled but regained composure almost immediately. "Were you looking for me?" The young woman who had come calling looked mildly familiar to Severus. She had short brown hair styled in something of a pixie cut and Severus recalled there being a girl with hair always in that style in Slytherin while he was at school. "Am I right in saying that your name is Vivian Ashbury?"

Harry looked at the newcomer with interest. He didn't recognise her. How did Daddy know her name?

"Yes, that is correct. I was a year above you and Lily at Hogwarts. I'm sorry for your loss, I read about it in the Prophet."

"Thank you, but may I ask why you've come?" Severus was interested to know why Ashbury had come calling. As he remembered, she generally liked to keep to herself.

"Well I know it's late, but would you mind if I came inside?"

"Not at all." Severus strode to the door and unlocked it with Harry trailing behind him, still looking at Ashbury.

Vivian noticed the little boy staring and smiled at him. "Hello. What's your name?

"Harry." He giggled and ran into the house. Shaking her head good-naturedly, she followed him into the house.  

Severus led his guest to the kitchen. He was still avoiding the living room at all costs. "Harry, you can go upstairs and play for a while before bed." Severus would attend to Harry's bedtime routine after he had talked to Ashbury. Anyway, he thought is son would revel in the extra playtime.

"Yes Daddy!" Harry scrambled up the stairs, leaving the two adults sitting somewhat awkwardly in the kitchen.

"Would you like anything to drink Miss Asbury?" Severus offered politely, not quite knowing what to say.

"Um water will be fine thank you and you can call me Vivian." She replied with the same unsureness. Vivian supposed she should get on with it. She rather thought she had unnerved Snape by her sudden appearance. After all, they barely knew each other.

"I know this is all quite sudden so I'll be quick. My brother also passed away recently, of the same unknown causes as your wife. After reading the article in the Prophet I was so angry and had to do something about all this. I knew Lily a little at Hogwarts and she was a lovely girl and hers and my brother Robert's passing has spurred me to help in any way I can. Your name was mentioned in the article and as I knew you briefly, I decided to contact you."

Severus listened with interest. He remembered reading about Robert Ashbury's death in the paper but hadn't put much thought into it. If only he had paid more attention he might have recognised the symptoms Lily showed shortly before her passing.

"I am terribly sorry to hear that Vivian. It seems that this disease is relentless. The Head Healer at St Mungo's has kept in touch with me and is quite eager to put a stop to this. His name is Rowan Moore, I can give you his details if you like?"

"Thanks, that'd be lovely." Vivian took a sip of water before saying, "I was sort of hoping we could join forces as such with this matter. I don't want anyone else to die from this disease."

Severus nodded his agreement. "I believe if we work together with Healer Moore we will be able to do something fruitful."

The pair talked for a little longer before Vivian took her leave. Severus was left slightly bemused as to how well things had progressed. Before meeting Vivian, he had felt as if though this bloody disease was too big to conquer. Healer Moore had said himself that his team of Healers had no idea as to what they were up against. But Vivian had given him the smallest bit of hope. Severus decided he would begin brewing tomorrow to see if it was possible to come up with anything. Vivian worked at the Ministry and was planning on setting up a campaign. Rowan promised that he would do all he could to find a cure. And most importantly, Severus had wonderful friends who would go to the end of the Earth and back to help him. He was not alone. Perhaps there was strength in numbers.

"We will find a cure Lily my love." Severus whispered to the empty room. He ascending the stairs, intending to get Harry ready for bed. However, a worrying thought crossed his mind that Vivian and himself had somehow forgotten to consider. Where the hell were they going to get the money for all this?  

To be continued...
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed that! Sorry there wasn't much Severus/Harry interaction but I felt I had to get the story moving a bit more and establish Vivian's character a little.

Hopefully I'll be able to update more often from now on. I have changed my original ideas for this and I don't plan on abandoning my little story :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2829