Second chances by Sev95
Summary: Lily Potter comes back to life after being trapped in a strange realm for ten years. What will be Sev's reaction? And how will Harry fit into the picture?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lily
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 11833 Read: 19411 Published: 25 Jul 2012 Updated: 05 Jan 2013

1. Chapter 1 by Sev95

2. Chapter 2 by Sev95

3. Chapter 3 by Sev95

4. Chapter 4 by Sev95

5. Chapter 5 by Sev95

6. Chapter 6 by Sev95

Chapter 1 by Sev95

Severus Snape sat on the threadbare sofa at his home on Spinner's End, holding a photograph in one hand and a mug in the other. He looked hungrily at the picture as a sixteen year old red headed girl looked up and smiled at him, then waved.

Severus felt a sudden jolt as the Picture Lily looked up at him. He put the picture down with a sigh and took a sip of his drink. He hated this time of year, the school break. At least at Hogwarts he could keep himself occupied, even if it involved teaching a batch of dunderheads a science as fine and subtle as potions.

He sighed again,"Oh Lily how did my life come to this?" He shook his head, stood up and started pacing the living room. Then there was the arrogant Potter brat he had sworn to protect. He wished it did not have to be so difficult. Every time he looked at the boy a wave of mixed emotions surged through him. On one hand the pain and love he felt as Lily's emerald eyes shone, full of life. But then James chin, his hair, and his attitude would take over and Severus would develop a sense of loathing for the boy.

But even Severus had to admit, when Potter stepped into the great hall for the first time last year, it was not what he expected. The boy was too small and skinny for his age. He lacked the arrogant trademark James Potter strut. If anything he appeared shy and nervous. Severus however put those concerns to the back of his mind. When Potter landed into the Gryffindor Quidditch team after that foolish reckless stunt, he assured himself that Harry was just like his father, an attention seeking , foolish, arrogant. . . Just then a knock sounded and Severus paused his train of thought. Who would come to visit him? He lived a very solitary life and hardly anyone came to his house. He strode towards the front door, turned the handle, pulled. . .and fainted.

HPSS HPSS HPSS HPSS HPSS HPSS HPSS HPSS HPSS HPSS HPSS

When he opened his eyes he found himself on the couch. Everything came flooding back to him. He had seen Lily. His Lily. On his doorstep.

"About time you got around. You look like you've seen a ghost."

And now he was hearing her voice. "I'm really losing it now," Snape muttered to himself.

"No you are not. I'm really here. Close your mouth Severus. Sheesh!"

"I ...you...me...how?" Severus finally managed to croak.

Lily sighed and sat down beside him.

"Is this really happening?" Severus's fingers closed around Lily's wrist as he felt the palpable warmth of her skin spread through his body.

"I was never dead Sev. Not really. I've been in a strange place. An intermediate between this world and the next. Death wouldn't take me through. It said my life was not complete; I had not done what I was meant to do. I did not understand then. I'm not even sure I do now. I had to spend ten years Sev, ten years. And I couldn't get out."

His throat dry, all Severus could manage was "hmm."

"I watched you from there. And I watched Harry . I never wanted either of you to end up like this. I'm so sorry!"

With that, she burst into tears. It was all Severus could do to keep his composure as he wrapped his arms around Lily, the faint sweet scent of her hair greeting him as he tried to comfort her.

"Lily...Lily…Please...Don't...It's alright. Why are you apologising? You did nothing wrong. You hear me. Nothing! I am the one who should be apologising. I never meant to call you that. I never meant to go down that road. I never forgave myself. I don't expect you to either, I..." he trailed off, lost for words.

It was then that Lily looked up into his eyes as emerald met obsidian.

"I forgive you. I forgave you a long time ago Sev. It's time you do the same. I'm apologising because I put you in this state. I made your life miserable. I shunned you when I should have been there for you. I let you go down that road, turned away when you needed me the most."

Lily shook her head in remorse.

"How can you forgive me? I told him the prophecy, for Merlin's sake! I brought that on your family."

"You did not know it concerned us."

"That does not excuse my actions."

"No, it doesn't, but you did more to save us. "

"You would not have needed saving if—"

"No," Lily cut him off. "He was already after us. It would have happened even if you did not give him that piece of information."

"I should have done more."

"You did. You swore to protect my son. You saved his life during the Quidditch match Sev. I saw you. But his home life is a whole different story." Lily said the last sentence in a bitter tone.

"What do you mean?"

"You don't know?"

"He lives with your sister, correct? She has undoubtedly been fawning over your son. You are worried about him being spoilt?"
Severus flinched at the glare Lily was giving him. "They have been abusing my son! And no one did anything about it!"

She then got up, went to the corner where his pensieve lay, took out her wand and drew several silvery threads from her head and dumped them into the pensieve. Scowling fiercely, she took Severus by his arm and led him to the pensieve. "Come," she said. "Just watch."

The living room dissolved and a strange hallway appeared. In the memory, Lily was looking despondently out of a window.

"This was the place?"

Lily nodded. "Come, look from that window."

Lily led Severus to a window with gold frames. He gave a gasp of surprise as he saw a baby at the doorstep of Number 4 Privet Drive, wrapped in blankets, a letter under his arm.

A few moments later, Petunia opened the front door and shrieked. Both Lily and Severus winced .The scene dissolved. When it appeared again, Severus found himself looking through a different window, with a silver frame.

"This is another time frame. Harry is eight here," Lily answered his questioning gaze.

Severus looked out of the window and saw a tiny cupboard with a sort of cat flap attached. Petunia came, her lips pursed as she shoved a bit of dry bread through the flap.

"Harry is in there," Lily said, to which Severus's face turned white.

"Yes, my sister was not the most appropriate person to take care of my son."

"You could say that," said Snape dryly.

"Boy!" Vernon's voice thundered. "How dare you do that freakish stuff again?"

Vernon yanked open the cupboard door to reveal a terrified Harry with the dry piece of bread in his hands. "You don't deserve food, freak," Vernon exclaimed and took the bread out of the boy's hands.

"You ended up on the school roof and blamed Dudley for beating you. Oh, you are in big trouble now, boy."

"Please...please... I did not say anything about Dudley. I did not do anything...the wind...c-carried me up there... Please no. I'll be good."

"You should have defended Dudley! And you did some--thing--to get up there. Do not lie to me boy. It does not fare well!"

With that, Vernon slapped Harry hard across his face and the boy stumbled backwards and fell, his head hitting the floor. A couple of more smacks later, Vernon slammed the cupboard door shut, leaving a badly trembling Harry on the floor, with tears streaming down his face.

By this time, Severus looked positively nauseous. "I had no idea," he said weakly.

Lily looked at him a moment before saying, "Harry is not his father."

The scene dissolved again and this time a ten-year-old Harry came into view, weeding the garden. He looked tired and clearly dehydrated. He hesitated a moment before going into the house.

"Aunt Petunia, the garden is almost done. Can I please have a drink of water?"

"No. First get the job done. Then maybe I will let you have one glass."

With that, she shut the back door leaving Harry to complete the ominous chore.

Again, the scene dissolved.

This time, the Dursely living room came into view, adorned with a carefully decorated Christmas tree with many presents under it. Harry was making breakfast, while a fat chubby boy was making his way towards the Christmas tree.

"I want pancakes, not fried eggs, freak," he yelled at Harry.

"Too bad. That is what you are getting," Harry mumbled under his breath. Unfortunately, Dudley heard him. "Mum! Freak boy is saying he won't make my pancakes," Dudley yelled at the top of his lungs.

A few moments later, Petunia entered the room and took hold of Harry's hand. She shoved his thin fingers onto the stove ignoring his yelps of pain. She finally let go of his hand, taking no notice of his inflamed fingers. "That will teach you to do as you are told," she hissed. "Now make Dudley's pancakes."

"Yes Aunt Petunia"

Dudley was smirking the whole time. He then began to unwrap his presents. His face fell when he opened the last one. "Dad, I don't like my presents that much. Last year was way better."

Vernon chuckled and put down the newspaper. "Oh son, I was just like you when I was young! Don't worry, we will go to the store and get you what you want. How's that?" Dudley gave an affirmative grin.

He turned to Harry and said, "Forty presents for me, zippo for you."

Harry swallowed. "I wish you were here with me, Mum," he mumbled.

The scene cleared and Lily and Severus once again stood in the living room at Spinner's End. Severus stood aghast. He had never even imagined such a monstrosity-let alone to The Boy Who Lived.

"How could they?" was all he could say.

"My sister was always a prat," Lily spat. "I will have to visit her to repay her for her kindness, don't you think?"

Snape nodded looking grim. "I think I will join you on that visit."

"You did not help much in this regard did you? You treated the boy as if he were his father. You relished in humiliating the boy, my son."

"I did not know."

Lily huffed, "Well it does not matter now. Like I said, I forgive you. I know you care for Harry even if it is just because of me. However, I do hope it can grow into something more. I want you to love Harry for him, not for me."

"I doubt it Lily. Even if I do change my treatment of the boy, I don't think he will trust me, given my past interactions with him. He suspected me for wanting to kill him and stealing the stone last term for Merlin's sake!"

"What you don't know Sev," Lily said in a soft voice, leaning into him. "Harry has also inherited my – tendency, shall we say - of forgiving easily."

Severus cleared his throat. "Well, we'll see," he said awkwardly. "It is getting late. I will fix some dinner for us. You can stay in the guest room. I'll bring in fresh bed clothes and blankets later. Tomorrow we have to go see Dumbledore—I don't know how the wizarding world will react to this."

"I suppose you are right. I am supposed to be dead after all," Lily said with a small laugh.

"You don't know how glad I am that you are not."

"Trust me. I know."

To be continued...
End Notes:
Read and review! This is my first fanfic ever. I appreciate any advice and ideas!
Chapter 2 by Sev95
>

Chapter 2

The next morning, Severus got up with a start as soon as the nights memories came back to him.it had to be a dream. It was not possible. Severus stood up soundlessly and glided into the guest room. The bed was empty. Severus took a deep breath and sat down, getting a sinking feeling in his heart. He was right .It had been a dream. A very vivid one though; he frowned. Maybe Lily’s spirit was trying to tell him something, informing him of her son’s predicament and asking him to rectify it. How could the muggles have treated Pot—no Harry like that? Snape decided to refer to him as Harry, to help keeping his dislike of Lily’s son—because of James to a minimal. The boy couldn’t help it if he had his father’s hair. He would try to see more of Lily in him. Maybe he was being blind and Harry was really not what he had thought him to be. What had Lily said? “Harry is not his father.”

Lily came out of the bathroom, her hair damp from the shower. Severus sat with his back to her. Lily put her hands over Severus’s eyes and exclaimed, “Morning!”

Snape jumped.

“What Sev?  Wait let me guess.. hmm.. you thought that last night was a dream, right” Lily laughed pulling her hands back as Snape flushed.

“Well, forgive me for thinking that,  It’s not every day that your supposed –dead since ten ears—best friend decides to return back to life.”

“So every morning you’re gonna look at me like I’m a ghost or something?”

“Ghosts are not that unusual.  This on the this hand..” said Severus waving a hand

“hmmppf!” Lily turned her head around in mock annoyance.

A minute late they both were laughing their heads off.

Wiping tears off his face Severus said “God Lily , I haven’t laughed like this since…” he trailed off

“since the last time we were together.” Lily said more as a statement than a question.

Severus nodded.

Suddenly Lily let out a sudden laugh

“What?” Severus asked sounding annoyed

“Just trying to imagine what your students would say if they saw you laughing. The mean bat of the dungeons can laugh? The snarky Professor Snape has a funny bone in his body?”

“You know only you can get away with saying that to my face”

“I also know that only I can get you laughing like that.”

To that Severus smiled. Lily looked breathtakingly beautiful. Her firery red hair cascaded down to her shoulders.Her peaches and cream skin glowed in the dimly lighted room and her emerald eyes shone with life. Just like Harry’s.  “ Well my lady, What would you prefer for breakfast?”

“You got bagels?”

“What?”

“You know the glazed doughnuts”

Severus rolled his eyes.

“I cannot understand this fascination you seem to have with unhealthy sugary junk”

“You’ll understand it when you try some”

“What are you going to do?” asked Severus warily

“Ever heard of Dunkin’ Donuts?”

Severus groaned inwardly.

Half an hour later they were seated at the table, with a dozen doughnuts of different kinds and two cups coffee in front of them.

“You expect me to actually eat that?”

“Aww, come on Sev, Just try it. I’m telling you, you haven’t lived until you’ve had one of these. Pretty please ” Lily looked at Severus with pleading wide eyes.

“You know I cannot say no when you look at me like that”

Lily smirked then began loading his plate. “Here, try this one first” she said holding out a doughnut.

Severus looked suspiciously at it , then carefully bit into it. Surprisingly it was quite good. Not too sweet.

“So?” Lily prodded him “ do you like it?”

“it will suffice” Snape responded curtly

“Coming from you it means that it is absolutely scrumptious”

“hhmpff. I do not understand how you put away all you do and still look like that”

Severus realized what he had just said and blushed

“I did not mean it like that. I meant—“

“Oh so you mean that I am fat?” Lily asked, hands on her hips

“Oh No, you’re beautiful!” Severus tumbled out the words one over the other in his haste.

“See now that wasn’t too hard was it?” Lily asked smiling before she got up and hugged him. An instant later she felt Severus’s strong arms encircling her and that was when she realized it.

“I was meant to be with you” she whispered into Severus’s ear as she rested her head on his shoulders. “I was meant to be with James before. But now I am meant to be with you. You are a part of me. That’s why I’m not dead.”

Happiness surged through Severus at those words. He felt like a different man. They stood there in each other’s arms for a long time before breaking contact. Both were misty eyed. The rest of breakfast was a more silent affair with each gaining comfort from the other’s presence.

 

Dumbledore’s face appeared in the flames “Severus, my boy. Is something wrong?”

“Why do you assume that?”

“Forgive me but you hardly ever Floo me over the summer break”

To that Severus inclined his head towards the couch. Dumbledore followed his gaze and gaped, mouth wide open. It took some time for him to regain his composure and he said in a course voice. “Step aside Severus, I’m coming through.”

Severus smirked smugly at having been the one to cause Dumbledore to lose that blasted twinkle in his eyes.

“How?” was the only thing Dumbledore said as soon as he stepped through.

“What Albus? No Hello? No lovely to see you again? No—“

“I apologise Lily. I’m still in shock” said Dumbledore as he sat down on the couch.

“It appears, Albus that Lily had been hovering between life and death for ten years.” Severus offered.

“It was an disembodied voice which told me that I had not served my whole purpose in this world, merely part of it” Lily explained.

Dumbledore seemed at a loss for words. He shakily accepted the glass of water Lily offered him. After a few minutes he said “ You look as beautiful as ever, dear”

“Thank you”

“Well this is- to say the least-, most unusual. Death hardly ever makes exceptions. Hmm” Dumbledore stroked his beard, deep in thought. “And how is it that you were able to come back now and not before?”

“I don’t know, really. I sat there day after day, watching the proceedings here and just….thinking….It was clear that I would be going back, as the voice had informed me in no uncertain terms. “ When the time is right, you shall return” it said”

“Hmm. I think that your train of thought had something to do with it.  Tell me, what was going through your head at the time you were released?”

Lily blushed and glanced upwards as Severus met her eyes and knew immediately what she had been thinking of. Dumbledore watched this interaction closely then smiled. “Well it seems that this mystery is solved” he declared .

After a few awkward moments of silence Severus cleared his throat and said “ How is Lily supposed to make her entry into the Wizarding World?”

“That will not be a problem.I will take a picture of her now, and write to the Daily Prophet. You will have to make a few public appearances though, my dear”

“ DO NOT write about – “Severus started

“Don’t worry my boy. I will keep your private affairs private. Until you make them public, ofcourse.”

“Ofcourse.” Snape stated silkily

“Well, if that is all” Dumbledore said waving his wand and taking a picture.

“No that is NOT all.”Lily hissed

Dumbledore looked bewildered at her sudden change in demeanour

“ My son, Albus, how dare you leave him with my sister? You know how she feels about us. Do you have any idea what he has been through?”

“He may not have had the most pleasant childhood, my dear but aren’t you over reacting a little?”

Now it was Dumbledore who was the target of not only Lily’s but also Snape’s unwavering glare.

“She is not over reacting, old man. I saw how the boy was treated by those filthy muggles”

“Of all people I never thought you would be defending Harry” Dumbledore mused.

“Well the world is full of surprises, isn’t it” Severus said smirking as Lily lead Dumbledore towards the pensive.

 

Dumbledore looked very green by the time he stepped out of the pensieve. “Oh my! What have I done?”

Lily looked at him coldly, then sighed. “At least you did not do it on purpose. What is done is done. I cannot change his past but I will give him the life he deserves now.”

“One thing at a time,  dear. First we must make your return public. We cannot risk anyone seeing you before that. Then, in a few days’ time you can go get Harry”

Lily sighed. In a few days time she would find herself as the mother of an eleven year old. She did not know if she could handle that. She had so much to make up to her son.

“You will make be a good mother Lily, don’t worry” Snape intruded  her thoughts

“That, you will” Dumbledore agreed

Lily smiled “ I certainly hope so. “

“Well, I’ll be leaving then” Dumbledore said approaching the fireplace

They said their goodbyes and Albus stepped into the fireplace. “ Dumbledore’s Office, Hogwarts!” .With a swish of his robes, he was gone.

Lily sat down on the sofa exhausted as Snape made hot cocoa. A moment later he sat beside her and offered her a mug, which she took gladly.

“Im kinda nervous about the public appearances”

“Oh? I have never known you to be shy before”

“Well I have never spent ten years alone before”

“You are going to be in the spotlight for quite a while, I admit. But soon it will blow over.

“What about Harry?”

“What about him?”

“How am I going to make up for all the lost time?”

“it will come … naturally to you”

“Will you help me?”

“Always.”

(few days later)

“MOTHER OF THE BOY WHO LIVED—LIVES

LILY POTTER ALIVE AND WELL

Lily Potter came to the home of childhood friend Severus Snape (Potions Master at Hogwarts) explaining how she never died. This is the second Potter to survive the killing curse. The Potters continue to amaze us…….”

Severus read aloud.  “It seems you are now The Lady Who Lived”

Lily scowled. “I hate that title”

“Well at least there is nothing in here about us” said Severus finally putting the paper down

“I think we should wait a while before announcing our marriage. At least until they have come to terms about this .” Lily said carefully

“You’re right. Besides I dont know how your son will react to…” Severus paused “—to us—“ he said softly.

“It will be difficult for him to view you as a father, yes.”

“Don’t say that”

“Why? Harry’s real father cannot be here. You will technically be his step father.”

“I suppose you are right” said Severus grudgingly. “I have to tell you Lily that I have been less than civil to him.I had him in detention every week—or more often”

“Did he deserve the detentions?” Lily inquired suspiciously

“Not all of them” Snape admitted.

“Hmmm. It seems that you have much to make up for as well”

“Yes but old habits die hard, Lily. I don’t know if I can do this”

“You can and you will. Listen to youself. It is hardly believable that the person who managed to deceive You Know Who, is now scared of a mere eleven year old”

“I am not I scared  of him Lily”

“Yes you are . You are scared of showing your feelings to him”

“I am not the typical Arthur Weasly father figure, Lily. You cannot expect me to be that”

“No . But you can be the loving, kind although very sarcastic man with a dry sense of humour, and absoulutely no taste in clothing—

“Yes I get your point.” Said Snape sardonically. “ And here I was thinking that you would actually praise me”

“ You know what I mean Sev “ said Lily earnestly.

 “Oh alright. I will try.”

“That’s all I ask”

 

 

Severus himself marvelled at how much he had changed, just spending a few days with Lily.  He never remembered a time when he could smile so easily, so naturally. Lily always saw through his stoic exterior façade, and managed to break into it.  He strode down Diagon Alley with Lily, thinking about the tumultuous past week.

(Flash back)

“ Don’t you get bored of black.I mean its so bland.”

Severus rolled his eyes

“You need to come with me to Hogsmeade  on a shopping spree.”

Snape looked bewildered. “ No I don’t .I like my attire”

Now it was Lily who rolled her eyes

“Even Dumbledore wears more interesting clothes”

“Too interesting for my taste” said Snape, shuddering at the image of himself with a purple cloak and a hat with yellow stars.

“I was thinking more on the lines of….” Lily said  and waved her wand, “there now that’s much better” said Lily giggling.

Severus was dressed in a bright pink T shirt , with floral patterns all over and black leather trousers. He looked down at himself and grimaced. Then he suddenly pointed his wand at Lily who found that her casual striped t shirt had changed into a Little Bo Peep costume, complete with a bonnet.

 Lily burst out laughing “ You remember Little Bo Peep!”

“I remember that you happen to hate that particular muggle character, yes” said Severus casually

(end of flashback)

Yes, Severus had changed. After all his arguments, he had been persuaded by Lily, as he knew he would be. She was the one person who could get him to do anything.

“Why so silent Sev?”

Severus sighed “ Just thinking”

“about?”

“about how much my life has changed in the past week..”

“ hmm” Lily remained silent for a while. ” You needed change”

They entered into Twilfit and Tattings, the best wizarding clothing store in Diagon Alley, also the most overly priced. “ fifteen Galleons for that?” a woman said shaking her head as she passed Severus and Lily. She looked up and noticed them. Her eyes grew wide.

“ Stop gawking woman” Severus snapped

“Really,” the woman huffed “ theres no need to be so rude” she turned to Lily “ Pleased to meet you dear. “

“thank you,  I…”

“ Well we must get going now . We have a busy day ahead” Severus interrupted.

“Ofcourse ofcourse,” the woman said and left

“ Is this what it is going to be like from now on?”  Lily wondered aloud as they wet she set about the task of picking out a whole new wardrobe.”

About two hours later they finally left the shop. Lily had got a wide variety of clothing from simple t shirts, to dresses, skirts and gowns. Lily had even managed to buy Severus some t shirts, though he was adamant that they be black, grey or emerald green. 

Lily had to make an appearance at Flourish and Blotts later that evening so she and Severus had decided to while away time in Diagon Alley.After buying the essentials, clothing,groceries and the like, Lily said that she wanted to buy something special for Harry. So they stopped at Quality Quidditich Supplies where Lily bought some Quidditch magazines, a Broom Servicing Kit and a pratice Snitch. She wanted to buy more gifts but Severus stopped her. “Its you he wants, not all this. Besides if you give him everything now, what will you do on his birthday and Christmas?”

Lily had grudgingly acquiesced. After icecream at Fortesque’s , they headed to Flourish and Blotts. As soon as they entered, exited whispers broke out, much like every other shop they had visited so far. Lily was quickly getting annoyed. There were many photographers and reporters, the flashes blinded Lily as she made her way towards the center. Severus gave her an encouranging nod. She cleared her throat and the room went silent.

“Good evening, everyone. “ she paused. “ I really don’t know what to say. I understand that it must be strange to see me now, as I was considered to be dead for ten years, no less. However I must ask you to treat me normally. My friend Severus has been kind enough to help me get my life back on track, for that I am really grateful to him” Lily smiled in Severus’ direction who blushed, but then promptly scowled as several cameras flashed in his face. “I am hoping that you all will accept me as an average member of the wizarding community, for I really am just that, like every other person. nothing more. Well I guess that is all I wanted to say.so… umm… thank you..”

The people burst into applause as Lily made her way back to Severus. “You did great” he whispered as he laid his arm around her shoulder as they walked towards the nearest floo.

“when can we go get Harry?”Lily pestered Dumbledore once again

“Just a few more days, dear. “

LiIy scowled “ Its been two weeks already. I hate to think what my sister and her whale of a husband could be doing to him. I can’t even see him now”

“They kept him alive for ten years, a few more days cannot hurt that much”

“Is that all you care about Albus? Keeping him alive? What about keeping him healthy and happy?”

“ I did not say that dear. I doubt he even knows about any of this”

Lily sighed.  Albus was right of course. Her sister was completely cut off from the wizarding world. Lily still harboured a love for Petunia, even though at the moment she hated her for what she had done to her son.

“In the meantime, why  not decorate his room?”

Lily cheered up a bit

“We have already picked out the furniture but the walls and floor are quite plain”

Severus came out of the room which was soon to be Harry’s bedroom. He groaned when he saw Dumbledore.

“Severus, my boy, how are you doing?”

“Fine” replied Severus curtly

“Sev,  Albus and I were just talking about painting Harry’s room.” Lily chimed in

“hmm”

“What about red and gold?” asked Lily cheekily

“Not a chance”

“Well I’ll leave you to it” said Dumbledore getting up “Thank you for the tea Lily, Severus”

Severus scowled. It was just like the headmaster to set up an argument and leave him to handle it.

As Dumbledore disappeared through the floo Lily started again

“ Okay then, what is your suggestion. What would a boy of eleven like?”

“How would I know”

“Work with me here”

“Oh alright,hmmm, how about sky blue and white? Like the sky. Merlin knows how stuffy his cupboard must have been, I think he would appreciate the natural colours.”

“Brilliant. We could even charm the ceiling with moving clouds and paint some broomsticks and snitches on the walls.”

After some hard work, the job was done. The room looked magnificent. The floor was adorned with a fuzzy white carpet. The walls were an abstract blue and white with snitches and broomsticks randomly zooming across the walls. The ceiling was charmed to look like a sunny day, with a few moving clouds here and there. The furniture was light brown, fitting in perfectly with the themed room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To be continued...
Chapter 3 by Sev95
Author's Notes:
Thank You, Dawn for introducing me to Tambra
And a million thanks to Tambra for beta-ing my story and helping me with it!

Harry lay on his back in his cupboard. Oh how he missed Hogwarts. His stomach growled and he cringed at the sudden cramp. He knew he wouldn’t get food for a long time. Even though he was locked in his cupboard, life with the Dursleys was better than what it used to be. At least his uncle did not hit him so much now. It was probably because he thought that Harry would use magic on him. Harry had wisely refrained from telling him about the no magic rule.

He picked up the broken pencil that lay on his bed... and began to draw. It was the only thing that kept him from losing his head some days. Why did he feel so weak? He licked his lips. He was so thirsty... and hungry. He felt a sudden wave of dizziness engulf him. He could not fight it any longer and let himself be drawn into the blackness and fell unconscious.



Severus put down the Daily Prophet as Dumbledore’s head popped into the Floo .

“Severus my boy, I need to speak with you. Is Lily around?”

Severus looked at his mentor suspiciously. What was he up to now?

“No, she is still in bed.” Severus answered slowly. “Why?”

“No reason. I called to inform you that you may go retrieve Harry today”

Severus narrowed his eyes knowing that Albus meant that it would be Severus alone who would have the task of fetching Potter. “I may?”

“I do not think it wise to let Lily see Petunia so soon. She may do something that she will later regret. She does have a fiery temper”

“Meaning you want me to go get Pot—Harry?”

“Precisely. You have no emotional attachments to the boy yet.” Albus held up his hand as Severus opened his mouth to argue. “I am sure that you strongly disapprove of their actions. But you will not let anger cloud your judgement.”

Severus grudgingly agreed. The old man did have a point. Although Lily still harboured a love for her sister, she was furious how Petunia and her whale of a husband treated her son. “How do you intend to convince Lily of this?”

“Convince me of what?”

Severus jumped and looked behind to find Lily eyeing him suspiciously. At the same time Dumbledore’s head disappeared and Severus inwardly cursed the man for leaving him alone to deal with the situation.

“ Albus told me I am to go get your son today”

“Oh great! Finally I get to see Harry. Lets go right now...Wait a minute, What do you mean you are to go get him. “

Severus sighed. “ Dumbledore does not find it prudent for you to see Petunia so soon. And quite frankly, I agree with him.”

What? He is my son and she is my sister who has some serious answers to give, and you want me to stay behind?”

Severus winced as Lily gave voice to her ire, her voice rising to just below a shout. If Lily was this furious now who knew what she might do to the Dursleys if she went there. Severus tried to make Lily see reason.

“I know you want answers. I know you want revenge. But this is not the way to go about it. Petunia doesn’t even know of your return. How will it seem if you suddenly appear at her doorstep, take your son “  Severus paused and smiled wanly “and hex her into oblivion, as I have no doubt that you will indeed.”

Despite her frustration, Lily’s lips twitched.
“Fine” she huffed. “ You know me too well. If I agree to stay behind now, you promise me that I will see her later. When the time is right and all that i mean”

Severus smirked inwardly. Lily sounded like a five year old girl who had been denied a trip to the toy shop. Severus held up his hand and said solemnly “I promise.”

Lily pouted and hit him with a cushion. “Not funny” she mumbled. Then suddenly, “Well what are you waiting for? Go get him. I wonder how he will react? Oh I know! Let’s surprise him. Don’t tell him about me! Oh I can’t wait….”

It never ceased to amaze Severus how Lily seemed to go from angry to disappointed to excited all with a minute.



Soon Severus was standing at the doorstep of Number four, Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey. The house was plain, but in tip top condition. The garden was well kept in unnatural uniformity. Severus did not like he feel of the place at all. He rang the doorbell. Soon a pudding-faced boy answered the door. His eyes widened in fear. “Who are you?”

Severus looked at the boy, who was obviously Petunia’s son with more than a little disgust. Did she teach no manners to this child?

“I am Professor Snape and have come regarding Harry Potter.” He stated simply.

“MUM!”

Severus already felt a headache coming on.

“Who is it Diddy darling?” Severus heard Petunia shrieking.

“Someone from the freak school for the freak boy!” the Lump shouted back.

Severus heard sudden scrambling and suddenly he was nose to nose with none other than Petunia Dursley.

“What do you want?” she spat.

“It is proper etiquette to invite your guest inside first, is it not?”

Petunia glared at him with pursed lips and stood aside. Severus took this as leave to enter the house.

“I wish to withdraw Mr Potter. It is for school business.””

School,” she said as if (she pronounced) a rather disgusting word “does not start for another two months.”

“Nevertheless, Mr Potter’s abominable performance has deemed it necessary for him to receive additional tutoring. I doubt you want wizards popping into your home everyday, therefore, Mr Potter has to go.

“You can teach him the freak stuff when he goes back. I will not have you take him away now!”

“You are testing my patience, Tuney,” Severus snarled as he drew his wand. “Either you give him over willingly or I assure you I will take him away by force.”

Petunia eyed his wand in fear and Severus watched in contempt. She had always been a coward. “Fine! I’ll go fetch him”

Severus quickly performed an invisibility charm upon himself as Petunia turned her back and followed her with stealth well-honed by years of experience as a spy. He gave an inaudible gasp as Petunia stepped in front of a tiny cupboard under the stairs and rapped on its door. Severus recognised it from Lily’s memories. Even he was having trouble controlling his temper. Petunia rapped again seeming a little anxious. Again, there was no sound from inside. Petunia seemed to be weighing her options, shooting surreptitious glances towards the living room. Then she grabbed the cupboard handle and yanked it open. Severus curiously peered inside. There was not much he could see as the cupboard was very dimly lit. On first glance it was full of childish drawings and artwork which no doubt had been Pot—Harry’s way to keep himself amused while locked in here. But where was the boy himself? Petunia seemed to be wondering the same thing as she crouched to have a closer look. Suddenly Severus spotted him. There, in the corner curled up and seemingly unconscious.

Panic seized Severus and he fought to keep his anger at bay. “Stand aside!” He snarled and Petunia started. She looked around to find the source of the disembodied voice. Severus cancelled the charm and gave her a glare that might have killed her if it had the force of a curse behind it..

Severus bent down and gently picked up Harry, marvelling at how light the boy was. He had not seen the boy without his school robes before and now that he did, he was alarmed at how thin the child was. What had they done to Lily’s child?

He spelled some nutrients into the boy to help him gain some strength.  Severus felt numb. He was at a complete loss. He could not Apparate with the boy in this condition. He was already unconscious and very weak. No, he could not risk that. He would have to travel by Muggle transport. But first…

Accio Harry Potter’s belongings” All of Harry’s handiwork stacked itself neatly and flew into Severus’s hand. From another room, a battered trunk came in …and an empty cage. Severus wondered where the owl was. He shrunk all of the child’s pitiful possessions and put them in his pocket. At the front door he paused and looked at Petunia’s dumbstruck face.” I will be back to discuss this,” he said vaguely motioning to Harry and then to the cupboard.  He exited the despicable house slamming the door behind him. He then set off with Harry in his arms towards the nearest train station.



Luckily, Severus found an empty compartment. He lay Harry down beside him preparing himself for the long journey. He stared into the young face beside him, for the first time seeing Harry as a child, not a James Potter reincarnation...a mere child. Guilt stabbed him as he remembered the numerous times he had humiliated the child, and belittled him for the simple crime of being James Potter’s son. He had accused him of being a little pampered prince and now he wondered how and why Harry had hid it all. With all his preconceived notions gone, he was unable to muster even a little loathing when he looked at the child of his first love, his only love and his childhood nemesis.

Severus was pulled out of his thoughts as he heard a little whimper. Harry was gaining consciousness.


(Harry’s POV)
His head ache was getting worse; he could not stop himself as a little whimper escaped his lips. Hopefully Uncle Vernon hadn’t heard him. He did not like it when Harry complained.  Strangely though, he did not feel so hungry anymore. When had he eaten? It had been two whole days, hadn’t it?
Now that he thought about it, this did not feel like his cupboard. Surely his battered mattress was not this soft. And… Why was he moving? Was it an earthquake? Harry opened his eyes to stare up in a pair of black eyes. Who…? Recognition hit him and he suddenly said “Professor Snape?”



Harry opened his eyes and recognition flickered in his eyes as he said something like “sor Snape?”

Severus prepared himself for the conversation that was to follow.

“Good afternoon, Mr Potter.” said Severus with a nod. Suddenly he felt very awkward. What was he to say? Lily had wanted to surprise Harry so he had to come up with a believable story.

Harry sat up and began to reach for his glasses. Snape handed them to him.

“Thanks…umm... Where am ... What are you … How did…” A pause as Harry tried to put his question into coherent words.

“Very well phrased Potter” Severus could not keep the sneer out of his voice. He decided to take pity on the boy and said, “I came to pick you up from your relatives”  Snape spat out the word. “on the headmaster’s orders” It was he truth. Let the boy assume what he wanted to.

“Oh” Harry blushed. “Did you ...umm... what I mean is ... Was I sleeping when you came?”
Severus rolled his eyes. “That Potter, is the understatement of the century. You were unconscious and so weak that I feared for your life”

Harry blushed once more and licked his lips. Severus berated himself for not thinking earlier. The boy had to be very thirsty. He conjured up a glass of water and handed it to the boy. He looked surprised but accepted it with a mumbled thanks.

“So” he said between sips. “Aunt Petunia was okay with it? I mean you taking me away?”

Aunt Petunia” Severus sneered at the appellation  “ had no choice in the matter”

Harry groaned. “I am sooooo dead when I go back” he said to himself

Severus did not let on that he had heard the boy. Instead he decided to question him.

“Tell me Potter, why did you not tell anyone that you were living in a cupboard and that your loving relatives were half starving you?”

Harry froze. He had not anticipated this question at all. He had assumed that Aunt Petunia had retrieved him from the cupboard and given an excuse to Snape as to why he was unconscious. After all that is what she always did. She never let on how she treated him to outsiders. Even that old lady next door, Mrs Figg knew nothing. Once when his elementary teacher had suspected something, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had covered it all up nicely with their lies. He knew rule number one of the Dursley household. He remembered Uncle Vernon’s words as clearly as the spittle was that had hit him while his uncle told him off “I’m warning you now boy, if you say one word to anyone, I will not hesitate to take you on with my belt and lock you in your cupboard with no food for a week!”

So now what was Harry supposed to say?

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please let me know what you think of this.
Review, people!
Chapter 4 by Sev95
Author's Notes:
This chappie was a little difficult to write.
Thank you Tambra for the commas, fullstops, and a whole lot more.
>

Chapter 4

Severus watched as the child froze and then gazed frantically around as though trying to escape. He wondered what was going through the boy’s mind. He briefly considered performing Legilimency, but decided against it, because he needed to build some sort of a rapport with the boy. Trust was too much to ask.

 “Potter, calm down, it was a simple question.”


Harry took deep breaths as he tried to gain his composure, but failed miserably. He looked around again with panicked eyes, searching for a way out. No one was supposed to know about his home life especially no one from the Wizarding world. He also knew that even though he had not said anything, he would get blamed and he would get punished …severely. His heart turned cold as he thought about that.


Severus became alarmed as Harry quickly lost his pallor. That was it. He had to reveal some truth to the boy. He cautiously approached him and reached out but Harry jerked away. After a few moments, he whispered “I can’t answer your question, Sir”

"Potter," Severus said and then slowly exhaled his pent up breath, considering just how much he could tell the boy without upsetting him further.  He finally settled upon, "You do not have to return to the Dursleys again."

“What?” Harry asked in a near whisper.

The feelings that Harry’s soft voice arose in Severus scared him – no, terrified him. He crushed those feelings and returned to his usual demeanour.

“Do you have a hearing problem?,” he snapped “I stated that you will not return to your despicable relatives. That is the reason why Dumbledore sent me to withdraw you from their care”

Bu..but, Where will I go?”

"You'll find out soon enough," replied Severus evenly although it struck his heart to see those eyes, Lily’s eyes, full of pain and uncertainty.

There were a few minutes of silence as Harry mustered up the courage to ask another question.

“Why you sir?”

“Excuse me?”

“I mean why did you come to get me? Why not Hagrid, or Mr Weasly, or Dumbledore”

“Professor.”

“Huh?”

“You do not address the headmaster as Dumbledore. It is Professor Dumbledore to you. And you do not say ‘huh’, you say ‘I beg your pardon’ “

Harry blinked. “Sorry,… so, why didn’t he come?”

“He has other duties. He is a very busy man. I was available at the moment.” answered Severus staying as close to the truth as possible.

“Yeah.. but you hate me.” Harry frowned. “ I know you didn’t want to do this. So.…why did you?”

“What I do or do not wish to do is none of your concern.” There was the boy he was used to seeing. Curiosity had always gotten the better of the boy. He spoke before he thought. Only up until now, Severus had thought of it as arrogance. Lily, too, spoke in such a frank and open manner. That inquisitive and curious nature was pure Lily. How could he have been so blind before? Then there was also the fact that the boy thought Severus hated him. And before Lily had appeared and made him see sense, Severus had thought so too. Of course, the blame for that lay squarely on his shoulders. He had cared for the boy because of Lily and hated him because of James. He did not know Harry, the unique individual. Severus wondered if he ever would. Or if he would truly, genuinely, even want to.


The train halted and Severus shook Harry awake. “This is our station.”

A bleary-eyed boy followed Severus out on the station. Severus took one glance at the boy’s dishevelled appearance and waved his wand to make him presentable.

“Thanks,” said Harry looking embarrassed.

Severus peered at him. “Do you feel well enough to walk?”

“Yes Sir, I’m fine”

In Severus’s opinion the boy still looked pale but he decided not to push it for the moment. There was no point Apparating anyhow, it was only a short walk.

Harry’s mind buzzed with questions but he knew better than to annoy his teacher. They walked in silence as they passed various houses. Finally they turned into a street called Spinner’s End. It was an eerie lane with dark, dingy houses. A shiver ran down Harry’s spine as he hurried trying to keep us his pace to match Severus’s long strides.

Severus was lost in his own thoughts as he suddenly noticed that Harry was practically jogging to keep up with him. He slowed down his pace to receive a thankful glance from Harry.  He rolled his eyes in response. He stopped in front of his house with Harry behind him, rapped on the door, and ushered Harry in as the door opened.

Harry cautiously went inside the house and opened his mouth in surprise as he looked at who had answered the door. He recognised her from the photo album and the mirror and...his nightmares. That lady was his mother!

“Mum?” He managed to gasp out.

Lily fell onto her knees, her eyes glistening with unshed tears, as she looked at her son acknowledging her. 

“Harry…,” she said in a near whisper and opened her arms.

At that moment all rationality slipped from Harry’s mind as he ran and flung himself onto his mother wrapping his thin arms tightly around his mother’s neck and burying his head in her long hair. He was hugging his mother. His mum!  Tears fell from his eyes as he sobbed uncontrollably.

“It’s alright Harry. Hush now, Mummy’s here” said Lily as she tried to comfort her distraught son though tears fell unabashed from her eyes too.

Severus stood leaning against the door watching mother and son reconcile. The dust particles on the air made his eyes sting and water. At least that was how he explained it to himself.

Harry had dreamed of this moment for years. To see his mother, to hug her, to hear her comfort him… The rational part of his mind then kicked in. He had dreamed of this moment.  His mother was dead. Yet she felt very real to him right now. His body went rigid in shock as the gravity of the situation hit him. His vision blurred and once again he was drawn into the blackness.

Lily felt the tight grip around her neck loosen, as her son slumped against her. Alarmed she called out, “Sev! Come here quick, something’s happened to Harry!”

Severus stood there, took one look at Harry and declared, “He has fainted. You do seem to have that effect on people.”

Lily looked at Severus with wide pleading eyes

 “It is nothing. He is fine. The day’s excitement has finally caught up with him, that is all. Well that, and the fact that he has just seen someone who is supposed to be dead.”


Lily sat on the couch with Harry cradled in her arms. She gazed lovingly at him. "My baby boy.  My little Harry.  Oh, I wish things had been different."

 Severus sat down beside her and watched as Lily whispered to her son. “He is your son too Sev,”   his conscience reminded him. Severus tried to squash that voice, but failed. His feelings were all muddled up. “As if they were not confusing enough in the first place,” he thought ironically.  He no longer saw Harry as James and appreciated the fact that he was a separate person. True, he cared for the boy. ( Love was too strong a word.) But did one not have to like someone to care for him? And how did one like a person if they do not even know him? Severus definitely did not like children and did not have a lot of patience with them. Though he did feel his heart warming towards the little boy beside him. Was it pity, sympathy or something else altogether?

His thoughts wandered back onto the short conversation he had with Harry on the train. Severus found it disturbing that the child was unwilling to speak of his past. That alone indicated that a lot of emotional healing was to be done.

 Severus doubted he would be able to really change his attitude towards Harry. His sharp tongue and cool manner were part of his nature. He was intrinsically not a nice man. He did not know how to be friendly. As a teacher he hardly ever praised his students. He had been known to make students cry as he unleashed his vitriol on them.

He sighed and glanced at Lily. To his surprise, she had fallen asleep, her head lolling backwards, mouth slightly open, one arm wrapped protectively around her son and the other hand resting on his forehead. Severus smiled slightly and conjured a blanket, draping it over mother and son.

“Good night my love,” he whispered. “Tomorrow will be a difficult day for all of us.”

Severus then transfigured the couch into a bed and proceeded to his and Lily’s room, to get a well deserved night’s rest.

 

 

                                             

To be continued...
End Notes:
Review, review, review.
Chapter 5 by Sev95
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay. The updates will be slower now,so stick with me!
Note- In this fic James changed secret keepers without telling Lily. So she still thinks that Sirius betrayed them

Harry woke to the sounds of hushed voices. This was the second time in two days that he felt utterly and completely confused. He tried to think about the day before. He had woken up in a …train. Snape had taken him to…

 He heard a female voice and suddenly…                                                                                                                                                                    His eyes snapped open.


“Shhhh! Look he’s waking up,” Lily hurried over to the couch.

“How do you feel?”

Harry stared open mouthed at Lily, then Severus, then Lily again. He touched Lily’s wrist to confirm her presence. “She’s really there. How can she be there? God, I must be dreaming. Snape? Why is he here? Am I dead? Maybe we are all dead. Did the Dursleys kill me? Wait… So how did Snape die?”

Lily felt a small hand close around her wrist. She was vaguely reminded that Severus had used the same gesture. “Harry, calm down. I’m really here.”

What is happening? She looks like my Mum. But my Mum is dead!

“Buh.. but. How? I mean… Voldy…green light.. scar.. Dursleys.. huh?” Harry still looked gobsmacked.

“ I never truly died. I don’t know why but I was trapped in a place between life and death.” Lily tried to explain. It did little to placate Harry.

“ All that matters is that I am here now right?” she asked gently placing her hand on her son’s chin, and closing his mouth. “So are you feeling okay?”

 “ Yeah, I’m fine. I think,” he responded shakily. He was still in a daze. He couldn’t think properly. His mind was brimming with questions and doubts and concerns.

Lily held Harry’s hand between both of hers. “Come,  let’s have breakfast. Sev’s omelettes are just out of this world!  And I’ll explain everything I can.”

Sev? Does she mean Snape? Why? How is that even possible? My Mum could never like Snape!

Harry tried to get up, but his legs felt like jelly the moment he put his weight on them.  Lily steadied her son and guided him to the dining chair. Severus was already seated, his face hidden behind The Daily Prophet.

Harry’s eyes widened as he looked at the loaded table. Bloody Hell! This is like a...like a… feast!

Lily smiled as she saw Harry’s expression. “All credit goes to our brilliant cook, Severus Snape!”

Snape cooked this? Snape? The evil git? How come he was here anyway? Why was his mum so friendly with him?

“Go on eat,” Lily urged.

Severus had put down the newspaper and was scrutinizing Harry. He could practically see the questions in the child’s face. “Contrary to popular beliefs, Mr Potter, I am rather fond of cooking. It requires the same precision and skill as potions, therefore this should not come as a surprise to you.”

Harry gaped. The fact that Snape was fond of anything came as a surprise to Harry. This was not the first time that Harry felt that Snape could read minds. That still didn’t answer why he was here though. Harry frowned trying to think of the least rude way he could frame the question.

Thankfully he did not have to. Lily had been preparing herself for this for days. She took a deep breath and started…

“ I grew up a couple of blocks from here. Your Aunt Petunia and I would often go to play in a nearby park. I met Sev there. Petunia did not approve of him and often told me not to get involved with him because he was a freak and I was doing freaky things with him….”

Harry listened agape as his mother told him about how her friendship evolved with Snape. It seemed as if she was talking about a different person. The Snape Harry knew was a cynical, evil, bitter man who took every opportunity to get him in trouble, not the person his mum was describing.

“Severus was our spy, you see, so when Voldemort was after us he informed Professor Dumbledore and we went into hiding. We were betrayed by someone who we thought was our friend. I still can’t believe Sirius would do that…” Lily stared into space, lost in her thoughts. She had tactfully avoided Severus’s role in the incident. That was his story to tell when the time was right.

Severus had schooled his expression to a careful neutral throughout the entire tale. He had thought that Lily would explain his involvement as well and was strangely relieved that she avoided it. Coward. You are afraid of what an eleven year old will think of you? You don’t even like him. But then a voice which sounded annoyingly like Dumbledore added “ yet..” He had promised Lily he would help her care for the child. Nowhere along the way was it said he actually had to like him in the process. “But you know she wants you to.” His subconscious Dumbledore intoned. Suddenly he felt guilty. Once again he was thinking of liking Harry because he knew it would get Lily’s approval. He inwardly groaned. This was a lose-lose situation. He decided he would consult Lily later. Meanwhile…

“Umm, okay, so let me get this straight: You came back from this weird world and came here of all places because you think that Sna--”  Harry shot a glance at his teacher, “because Professor Snape  is your friend?,” Harry asked incredulously.

Okay, so it’s now or never. Lily closed her eyes for a moment. “Partly because he is my friend, yes. But he is more than that Harry, I…I love him Harry..he is also my husband and your fa—“

She was cut off by Harry’s loud exclamation “NO!” no no no no no. Oh God, this can’t be happening. He freaking hates me! Now he has actual power over me? He made my life miserable when he was just my teacher, now he can literally control my life. He could be even worse than the Dursleys. They were just muggles, he’s a wizard! Maybe that is why he brought me from the Dursleys , to make my life more miserable. How could Mum marry him? She must be delusional. She doesn’t know Snape. Snape’s tricking her. Maybe he dosed her with some kind of a .. of a … love potion  or something…NO No..

Harry… Harry!” Lily tried to get her son’s attention, who had a wild look in his eyes.

Potter!” Snape spat.

That got Harry’s attention. He was certain his mother had been deceived somehow.

“WHAT the HELL did you do to her?,” he shouted. “She can’t possibly love you, you ..you… mean, sneaky, BASTARD.”   The last word was was shouted with intense force and the glasses on the table shattered as magical energy radiated off Harry.

Severus turned white with anger. How dare he?  How dare the brat address him in such a way?  He fought to keep his anger under control.

Harry suddenly realised what he had just said and done and fear overtook his senses. He took one look at Snape’s expression, and ran. He ran to the front door, yanked it open and raced out.  He had no idea where he was going, and was too frightened to actually care. He just ran… across the road…through the park… a deserted alleyway…a thicket.. “Oww!, he yelped as he ran through a particularly thorny bush. Sudden pain rendered him unable to run any further and he fell. He winced as he lifted up his trousers. There were several bleeding gashes all over his leg, up to his knees. He surrendered to the tears that threatened to flow. Why had he been so stupid? Why had he lost his temper and yelled at  Snape? He could have talked to his Mum later. Now Snape was probably telling his mum all about how arrogant and foolish and reckless and insolent he was. His mum would also be mad at him. And there was no telling what Snape might do to him.

God, I broke his glasses, and I called him a bastard to his face!”  

He shuddered when he thought about the time when he had accidently smashed one glass at the Dursleys. That was just one glass… and Uncle Vernon hurt me sooo bad, I passed out. Snape’s a wizard. I live with him now. Harry’s thoughts were resigned. No! I can’t let him do this to me. I won’t get intimidated by him! I have my Mum now. I’ll just have to avoid Snape and not be alone with him. He probably won’t do anything when Mum is around.

Not knowing where he was and how to go back, and wanting the pain in his leg to go away, he lay down on the field and closed his eyes, thankful to find that he was tired enough to sleep.  Just a short nap, so that my leg hurts less. Then I’ll try to go back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Review!
Chapter 6 by Sev95

 The child ran at an amazingly fast speed and before Severus had even registered what happened, the front door slammed.

Lily and Severus stood, shocked. Lily was the first to break out of the stupor.

“H – he ran. I can’t believe he ran.” Lily started towards the door. “He can’t have gone far.”

Severus was white with anger. Attention seeking, insolent little brat! How dare he? I am his teacher, his elder, No respect whatsoever!

He touched Lily’s shoulder. “No”

“What?”

Severus had a strange gleam in his eyes. “No, let him find his way back. Let him worry. That little episode deserv—“

SMACK. Lily slapped Severus right across his face.

“Are you out of your mind?  I can’t believe that I actually thought you’d change your behaviour towards him.” With that, Lily walked out leaving a deflated Severus behind.


Severus touched his cheek where Lily had slapped him, and slumped onto the couch. There was no there was no other words, he was …ashamed. In his anger, he had once again forgotten that Harry was just a child. A very rude child,  but still, just a child. A child who had just been informed that his new-found mother had married Severus Snape. Severus was well aware of his image amongst his students. He had worked hard to be perceived as a sadistic, hateful, biased man. He had been this way for so long, that even he had forgotten that it was just a façade. He had asked Dumbledore not to reveal the best of him.

Then how could he blame Harry for thinking that way. Of course Harry would think that. Of course Lily would never love him if he actually was the man he made himself out to be.  Except that … he wasn’t. Lily’s marriage to him was proof of that, wasn’t it?

Harry did not know that. How could I even have considered leaving him out there? Yes he was incredibly rude. But Hell, even I would have been rude, given the circumstances.

Severus looked at the time. About twenty minutes had passed. They should have returned by now. Severus frowned and peered out of the window.

There was no one in sight. A little worried, Severus headed outside.  He had the vicinity of his home warded so that no location spells could be used. He would have to search the muggle way. Where was a pre-teen boy likely to go? The park seemed to be the most obvious answer so Severus went in that direction. At the far end of the park he spotted Lily. A very frantic Lily.

“ I – The ‘point me’ spells won’t work …and I have searched and shouted his name ... and I just can’t find him. What if something happened or he was kidnapped or—“

“Shhh Lily, calm yourself. This will get us nowhere. Now, where have you already looked?”

“ The park and all those lanes and alleyways ahead.”

Severus thoughtfully looked around.

“ It is possible that he took off in that direction, towards the main road. You check there and I will look in the woods.”

Lily took a deep breath. ”Right, right. Send a message if you do find him.”


Severus walked silently. The midday sun was scorching. He could already feel his boots heating up. He could make out the silhouettes of trees further ahead and he quickened his pace.

Avoiding the thorny bushes, Severus stepped forward and stopped. His eyes widened. Heart clenching, agonizing, terrifying fear rendered him momentarily paralysed.

For up ahead lay a curled up slumbering boy.

And a giant serpent hovered above his neck, poised, and ready to attack.

Before he knew it, Severus had drawn out his wand “Vipera Evanesca! ,” he shouted.

The spell hit the serpent but to no avail. It bent its head, opened his mouth to reveal long poisonous fangs.

Panicking, Severus cast a stupefy. The spell struck its target .The serpent froze in mid air, and landed with a loud thump onto the ground.

A wave of relief washed over Severus. In a second, he waved his wand sending a glowing doe galloping into the woods.

But as his racing heart slowed, fear gave way to anger.

The fooslish, idiotic, reckless, ignorant boy! Of all the places to fall asleep! Throwing a temper tantrum, running away and placing himself in danger! If I had not arrived in time…  

Severus did not like where that train of thought took him.


Thump.

Harry awoke, startled. He looked around groggily for the cause of the sound and gasped as he saw a gigantic serpent beside him, seemingly dead.

”Mr Potter”

A low, dangerous voice interrupted his thoughts. Harry gulped and turned around to face Snape who glared at him, looking extremely menacing.

Uh Oh. What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? He looks so angry. Where did that snake come from?

A sudden realization hit Harry. Snape saved me. Again. Why does he keep doing that? He hates me. He lives to make my life miserable. Oh, I am in so much trouble now. He will be ten times worse than the Dursleys.

Get up. We will discuss this at home!”

Harry stood, wincing. The gashes on his legs were still terribly painful. As the fabric of his trousers touched the wounds, a little whimper escaped Harry. No, No. Shut up. You cannot let him know you are hurt. Don’t give him the satisfaction!

Snape glanced coolly at him and walked forward. Biting his lip, Harry followed him.

His pain in his leg was slowly becoming agonizing. Soon, he couldn’t bear it. So when he stumbled upon a little rock in the way and fell, he found he could not get up again.


Severus heard a little whimper behind him. So the boy thought he would play the pity card? It would not work on him. He glared at the little brat and walked forward.

Had he glanced behind, he would have seen that the child was limping and that his eyes glistened with tears.

After about ten minutes, Severus looked back to make sure that the boy was following him and cursed. Harry was sitting on the ground, with legs splayed out, his face was contorted and eyes squeezed shut.

Again, Severus berated himself. I should have known! The child was in pain and I ignored it!

Severus crouched beside Harry and took his hands.

“Potter?”

A quiet whimper responded and Severus felt his heart shatter. This was not the time to engage himself in self-hate. He needed to tend to Harry.

“What is it, child?” Unconsciously, the appellation slipped out of his lips.

A few tears leaked through the clenched eyes.  A shaking finger pointed towards the child’s legs.

Severus gently rolled up Harry’s trousers eliciting more whimpers. Severus hissed at the sight. The boy must be in agony. He had probably run through those poisonous thorny bushes. He would soon develop a rash. Severus pulled out his wand and began to perform the basic healing spells, closing the wounds.


“What is it, child?”

Child. That word broke Harry and he pointed towards his legs. He wanted to glare at Snape,to be mad at him, but somehow, he could not do it. Not now, anyway. To his surprise, Snape began to heal his wounds.

Harrys eyes followed Severus’s wand movements. I wonder why he is doing this. He hates me.

After tending to Harry’s leg, Snape nodded curtly. “Come.” He offered his hand to Harry but Harry ignored it, pushing himself up against the ground.

This time, Severus slowed down his pace, walking just a little ahead of Harry.  He kept shooting surreptitious glances at Harry’s shadow as they went silently back home.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2838