Return to Sender by Chicago Myth
Summary: The Dursleys cannot accept Harry’s magic and return the 3 year old to Dumbledore. How will this change Harry’s life and the future for the wizarding world? Eventual “Snape adopts Harry” fic!
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 34306 Read: 102853 Published: 09 Aug 2012 Updated: 18 Dec 2012
Chapter 10 by Chicago Myth

Chapter 10: The Last Resort

 

Sanctuary. That’s what the dungeons were to Severus Tobias Snape. None of the other staff frequented his corridors, and the students avoided him outside of class while school was in session. In the few short years that Snape had been teaching, his reputation for being the harshest and “meanest git” the students had ever known was already established. Severus Snape might only be 24 years old, but the years of being a spy against Voldemort had taken its toll. He was a snarky man, with a tongue that could even cut down a 7th year student to tears.

 

The young professor sighed as he dropped into his chair, setting a pile of parchment in front of him. Despite the tedious job of keeping inventory on the potion supplies, Severus Snape was a meticulous man and determined to keep the supplies well stocked, prepared for any potion that needed to be brewed. His journal was open to the side with pages filled with notes for his current project: an improved polyjuice potion. The improved draught would not only extend the length of time for the user, but also effect non-physical traits, such as handwriting and voice. After months of research, the potions master was finally able to start brewing. However, two of the ingredients needed for the experiment were low on stock: doxy eggs and knotgrass.

 

Not being known for his patience, Snape snatched his robes from the hook and set out from his office. One could easily owl order the ingredients but the time delay was too much of an annoyance for the professor. A quick exploration of the forbidden forest would solve the problem, and freshly harvested ingredients were preferred anyway.

 

Severus stalked across the grounds, his black robes billowing out behind him, and headed toward the forest. The sun wasn’t far from setting, which only served to increase the professor’s pace. Even a former death eater knew better than to be alone in the forest after dark.

 

The brush was thick this time of year and stray branches pulled at the professor’s robes. Not far into the forest, Severus found the needed patch of knotgrass. The sprouts were deep green, one of the healthiest patches Severus had seen in a long time. Perfect.

 

Taking a small blade from his pocket, Snape bent down and started cutting the knotgrass and placing them into a small, leather pouch hanging on his belt. It was charmed to keep the grass moist and cool in order to preserve them as potion ingredients. As he finished collecting the needed amount, a soft noise caught Severus’ attention. His head jerked up and his hand stilled. Silence.

 

Standing, the potions master closed the pouch and tucked away the blade. A soft noise stilled the man yet again. This time he heard a voice coming from further in the forest. Who would be out here this time of day?

 

Walking further into the brush, the voice became clearer, as did its identity. An erkling was loose in the forest. There hadn’t been one for years as far as Severus knew. It was much too dangerous to let them roam with students nearby. Pulling his wand from its holster on his forearm, Snape quietly stalked through the bush, intent on catching the creature.

 

“Harry,” he heard the erkling call. Harry? In the forest? I knew that troublemaker was just like his father!

 

Severus ground his teeth as his anger swelled. How dare that child disobey the headmaster’s rules! Potter probably thinks that as the Boy-Who-Lived, the standard rules wouldn’t apply to him. Insolent brat!

 

Severus’ anger disappeared as quickly as it had built up as he entered the small clearing. Across the way, he could see the creature crouched beneath a large elm tree, half hidden in shadows. Its eyes were glowing yellow and solely fixed on the young boy, who was slowly edging closer. Severus’ attention didn’t remain on the erkling long; what he saw before him had him completely astounded. Harry Potter was glowing white! The child didn’t even seem to notice the luminescence surrounding him as it seemed, from the boy’s rigid posture, he was fighting the trance that the erkling had put him in.

 

Before Severus could even attempt to lift his wand, the light pulsed twice and then exploded, knocking him off his feet. What the bloody hell was that?!

 

It was several moments before Severus pulled himself up from the ground. He hurried over to the collapsed child and gathered him into his arms. Harry’s face was pale and his entire body was trembling. Lily’s green eyes peered up at him for a moment before the boy lost consciousness.

 

Severus took in the smoldering trees and brush surrounding him. He’d bet his entire potions mastery that that wasn’t any typical accidental magic that he’d just witnessed. There was no trace of the erkling as it had taken the full impact of the white magic. It had been obliterated.

 

Snape ran a quick diagnostic spell over the child and cursed. His magical core was nearly depleted. He gathered the child into his arms and set off for the castle. Rushing through the brush, thorns tore through Severus’ clothing, leaving small cuts on his skin. However, time was of the essence. Harry needed a core stabilizer draught to prevent any permanent damage. The magic that was released was too much for one so young. He’d have to learn to control this magic in order to prevent any further damage to himself. If left without, Harry could end up a squib before the year was over.

 

The doors to the infirmary blasted open as Severus barged in. The mediwitch nearly dropped the potion vials she was stocking in the cabinet.

 

“Severus Snape, what is the- Oh sweet, Merlin!” she gasped as she took in the sight of the unconscious child in Snape’s arms.

 

Ignoring the mediwitch for the moment, Severus laid Harry on the nearest bed. The nurse was quickly at his side running scans as Severus summoned the needed draught. “His core is severely drained, Severus,” Poppy exclaimed.

 

“I found the child in the forest. He expended a great deal of magic defending himself against an erkling,” Severus growled as he gently lifted the unconscious child’s head and tipped the potion down the side of his throat. His hand cradled the back of the boy’s head, making Severus realize how small the child was. With a few soft strokes to his throat, the potions master was satisfied that the entire draught was swallowed.

 

“In the forest? Alone?!” Poppy asked in shock as she ran more scans over the child. “Harry has had enough to put up with. Defending himself in the forest, and against an erkling, no less!”

 

Severus looked over her shoulder at the results on the charmed parchment on the bedside table. His eyes narrowed at the results. Iron levels were low and extreme fatigue was present. Severus had known about the nutrition deficiencies r12; being the one in charge of brewing the needed potions. However, it was different seeing the results in person. Severus studied the unconscious boy lying before him as if he was seeing him for the first time. He’s Lily’s son too, Severus,’ the Headmaster’s voice rang in his mind. Lily’s son.

 

Snapping himself out of his thoughts, he saw Poppy tucking the child into bed. Knowing the mediwitch would see to any other needs, it was time to call on the Headmaster.

 

Severus stalked over to the fireplace in the infirmary. Taking a deep breath to prepare himself, he grabbed a handful of the floo power and threw it into the flames.

 

“Headmaster’s Office,” he snapped and stepped into the floo.

 

Albus Dumbledore had just stepped into his office when his floo roared to life. Severus Snape stalked gracefully from the fireplace and placed his hands on the desk sitting in front of the aged wizard.

 

“Severus, my boy. Have a lemon drop?” Albus asked, seemingly unsurprised at the potion master’s sudden appearance.

 

“Albus, do you know where your charge is at this very moment?” Severus growled out, ignoring the proffered sweet.

 

“I was just about to summon Hagrid to bring him back to the castle. I suppose Harry must be exhausted from his day with our gamekeeper.”

 

“That insufferable brat is currently laid up in the infirmary, no thanks to that incompetent, half-beast.” Now, Severus never had any hard feelings against Hagrid in the past but his annoyance at the half-giant’s lack of care for a young child overrode his usual good (or at least neutral) opinion of the man.

 

The shock in the headmaster’s eyes was evident as Severus’ words sunk in.

 

“Infirmary? What happened?” Albus asked, nearly leaping to his feet.

 

“Your babysitter took a young, defenseless child into the forbidden forest and proceeded to be so inattentive that Potter was lured away by an erkling!” By the end, Severus was nearly bellowing in anger. He pushed away from the desk and started pacing in front of the fireplace, trying to get back in control of his emotions.

 

“I do not think-“

 

“No, Albus, you didn’t think. You didn’t think at all. How do you trust Hagrid with a 3 year old child? For an entire day!”

 

“Now, Severus, Hagrid is very trustworthy. You know this as much as I do.” Severus could feel those blue eyes watching him as he stalked back and forth across the office.

 

“My boy, please take a seat. You’re making an old man tired with all that pacing.”

 

Severus narrowed his black eyes at his mentor before settling down in the plush red chair perched in front of the desk.

 

“Now please, tell me everything that happened.”

 

Severus sighed and seemed to slump into himself for a moment. Straightening up, he looked the headmaster in the eye and recounted the events over the last hour.

 

The headmaster’s eyebrows creased in worry as he listened to Snape. “White magic, you say? Very interesting. I have heard of similar accounts but nothing since the 10th Century or so...” Albus trailed off, lost in his thoughts. “I can say that I do believe young Harry Potter will surprise all of us.”

 

“As long as you can keep him alive, Albus. That brat is as much of a troublemaker as his father was. And you! You’ll probably spoil the child with sweets and games of snap dragon! The boy needs discipline and rules that will be enforced. I daresay your history with rule breakers doesn’t stand in your favor.”

 

Severus Snape sat in silence, feeling the scrutiny of the headmaster. He had overstepped his limits by harshly criticizing the man who had saved him from Azkaban. He truly had no right to critique the man’s parenting skills, even if he didn’t agree with them.

 

“Severus Snape, you do surprise me,” the headmaster finally spoke. “You claim you have no interest in young Harry, and here you are showing more interest in his well being and care than any other professor in Hogwarts.”

 

“I do not care, Albus. How you want to raise the saviour of the wizarding world is your business. Not mine. Just know I won’t always be there to patch him up.”

 

“Need I remind you of your promise, Severus? Have you already forgotten it? It’s only been a few years.”

 

 

~~~

 

31st, October 1989

 

Severus couldn’t breathe. His chest was so constricted in anguish as he threw open the door to the headmaster’s office. He’d apparated to the school as soon as he had seen the destruction at Godric’s Hallow. After he had held Lily’s body in his arms.

 

“You said you would keep her safe!” Severus cried out as soon he saw the headmaster. Albus had turned away from the window, tears in his eyes.

 

Lily and James put their faith in the wrong person, Severus. Rather like you. The boy survives.” Albus crossed the office, in an attempt to console the young man.

 

Severus backed away, drowning in his own grief and wanting no affection from the headmaster. It was obvious that their secret keeper had turned on them. How else would Voldemort have known where the Potters were hiding? Severus didn’t want to think about the baby. All he could think about was that his Lily was gone. Gone forever.

 

He doesn't need protection, the Dark Lord is gone.”

 

“The Dark Lord will return. And when he does, the boy will be in terrible danger.” Albus paused for a moment, studying the man in front of him. The man before him was so overwhelmed with his grief. “He has her eyes, Severus. If you truly loved her.”

 

Severus’ head shot up. Lily’s eyes. Lily’s child. If there was any way to make up for even a small amount for causing her death then perhaps this would.

 

No one can know.”

 

Dumbledore’s looked at Severus sadly. His heart was breaking for the man. ”That I should never reveal the best of your service.”

 

Your word!” Snape demanded.

 

When you risk your life every day to protect the boy,” Albus said quietly but nodded his assent.

 

 

~~~

 

“You gave me your word, Albus. No one would know of that promise,” Severus hissed, still in pain over that night.

 

“I did against my own better judgment, Severus. However, things have changed. Harry needs you.”

 

“I will protect him as I see fit.”

 

“In the shadows, Severus? Harry needs you now more than ever, but not hidden at a distance. You owe this to Lily.”

 

“There are better people, Albus. Ones who can give Potter a family. Ones who aren’t damaged by bitterness. I am not a nice man!”

 

“There is no one better for Harry than you, Severus. Even Lily would have agreed. You are the best option.”

 

Severus was silent for a few minutes as he struggled with Albus’ words. “No, Albus. I’m just the last resort.”

 

With that, Severus Snape stalked from the headmaster’s office knowing that he had agreed to the one thing he had sworn against from the beginning.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2846