The Fox in the Briar Patch by Rebelkitty84
Summary: Harry runs away from the Dursleys just before he turns 11 and finds out about the Wizarding world before attending Hogwarts. With a new Guardian and a more cynical outlook what changes will happen?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Neville, Original Character, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Character Bashing, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 47986 Read: 20226 Published: 11 Nov 2012 Updated: 25 Mar 2013
Diagon Alley by Rebelkitty84

Harry stared in amazement at the sight before him. If he had thought that London proper was a circus of strange colours, noises, sights and smells, then it was nothing on the street before him. A crooked cobblestone street with narrow gabled buildings that stood at incredible angles and hundreds of people in a myriad of colours, almost all in those strange overlarge dressing gown type garments that he had seen the day before.

He flinched as an arm suddenly came into his line of sight, as he turned into a crouch he realised it was just Tom waving him forward.

"S-sorry" he whispered, ashamed of his behaviour.

"Don't worry yourself, lad," Tom reassured him. "This here is Diagon Alley, the premier shopping district in Wizarding Britain. Now, there are other shopping areas, but this is the biggest."

"W-Wizarding Britain!" Harry's eyes opened wide in shock.

"Oh, of course, I didn't have chance to talk with you properly last night. You were nearly asleep in your pudding," Tom chuckled gently. "Those strange things you've been able to do? That no-one could explain and maybe got you in trouble? That's magic… and here it's perfectly normal. We can all do it, and we'll teach you how to control it, how to use it and all about our world."

As the thin boy looked at him with huge eyes brimming with emotion, a mixture of fear and hope, Tom smiled sadly. This look pretty much confirmed his presumptions that the boy had been singled out, if not outright abused, for his 'differences' and was afraid to hope there were others out there like him.

"Come on, lad. There's a friend of mine who can help you out. He can set you up with somewhere safe to stay long term and arrange for new clothes and the like, as well as lessons about our world." Tom watched Harry, gauging his reactions to make sure he wasn't too spooked by events. "Don't worry, you're safe now, and me and my friends look after those that need a helping hand. It'll be ok now."

With that, the pair went into the busy street, Harry sticking as close as he could to Tom without actually touching the man. He kept his eyes moving, cataloguing everything around him and looking for escape routes at all times.

'How did Tom know about the strange happenings?' He wondered, not realising of course, that all magical children had bouts of accidental magic, whether born in the wizarding world or not.

What Tom hadn't bargained on when bringing Harry to Diagon Alley today was the crowd. He had hoped to come early, but the poor kid had been exhausted and not woken until 10am. Add in some Parisian Witch celebrity shopping at Madam Malkins today, and the place was more of a circus than usual. His musings were interrupted by a quiet voice next to him.

"Mr Tom?" Harry asked shyly. "Why are you doing this? Helping me, I mean. No-one ever did before. You don't even know me!"

Tom stopped walking, turning to crouch down so he could look Harry straight in the eye. He wanted the nervous boy to see his sincerity and understand as well as he could.

"It's a perfectly reasonable question, son; it's pretty simple really. My family have owned the Leaky Cauldron for centuries, and it's protected Diagon Alley in one form or another since the Tudors were on the throne. Our family has always tried to protect those like you from the Muggles - that's what we call non-magical folk - if they are treated bad. Most wandering wizards and witches in Britain end up here in London, so it's just logical. Look, everyone needs a helping hand sometime, right? I figure it may as well be me as it was my father and his father and so on, and I've made some right grand friends doing it. The friend we're off to see today is one my dad helped when I was around your age."

Harry considered this, looking into Tom's eyes. He could see nothing but sincerity there, and it made sense. The pub guarded the entry into the alley and would put the landlord in the best place to help others. The boy was still wary though. Surely Tom would want something in return.

Tom could easily read the boy in front of him, his thoughts were running across his face as clear to read as a book. He stifled a chuckle as nearly every child in his experience had thought the exact same thing.

"Before you ask, lad, all you have to do to repay me is do well at school and, when the time comes, if you're able, maybe help another in need one day," he said, tilting his head slightly.

This gave the green eyed boy all the answers he needed for now, and he gave a sharp nod, willing to go along with the landlord for now, at least. They continued along the busy street. He had much to think about, and his head was swimming with all the new information, even as his stomach churned with the mixed emotions. Relief at knowing he wasn't alone with his abilities warred with resentment that no-one had helped him sooner or come to explain what had been happening. There was also still a churning sense of fear about the future and stepping into this new world and that nothing would really change, after all.

Unfortunately, just as Tom and Harry were distracted with their own thoughts on the evens of the last day, the Parisian Witch came out of Madam Malkins and the street was suddenly even more chaotic. Harry yelled as he was swept away by the crowd, and he lost sight of Tom, the only familiar face in the place.

Tom, for his part, was frantic. He couldn't see his young charge anywhere, and as he didn't know the boy's name, he couldn't shout for him. All he could do was wait for the crowd to thin out and then try finding the boy.

~#~

Harry sighed in relief, he was finally free from the bustling horde. The sudden sweep of people had been terrifying, especially when he was hustled along by the flow of humanity against his will.

He had broken free just outside a magnificent building finished in gleaming white marble. Curious, he decided to go look inside. There was no way he could find Tom until the crowd died down, after all. Inside was fairly empty of people, as they had all rushed out to see the celebrity on display. However, there were curious creatures with sharp features, large ears and severe pinstripe suits moving around the place.

Harry gasped at the sight of them as he had never seen anything so unusual before. To his surprise, one of them came over and spoke to him.

"Good morning. My name is Griphook. What business brings you to Gringotts today?" he asked.

"I...ah...umm" Harry stuttered, looking at the floor.

"Well? Do you need something, or did you come to stare and laugh, like most horrible children?" Griphook growled, obviously upset by Harry's reaction, though Harry could see a hint of something deeper in his eyes - hurt, maybe?

"I-I'm sorry, S-sir" Harry stammered, shocked that he had hurt the creature before him. "I...I've never been here before. It... It's amazing! I hope I didn't upset you?"

Griphook stared. He had been working in the bank his entire adult life and had never had a wizard of any age apologise to him before. Now he looked properly, he could see the child before him did indeed look lost and completely over-awed.

"It's perfectly alright, young Sir," he ushered Harry towards his desk. "Now, do you know if you have a Gringotts Vault? Are you Muggle-Born or Wizard-Born? What is your name, young Sir?"

He was pretty much convinced the boy must be a Muggle-born to be so impressed but protocol required that he ask all the questions correctly when researching or setting up a new account. For some reason, he felt like he should know this young wizard; that he reminded the goblin of someone he once knew. Add that to the polite manners and shy demeanour, then Griphook was more than willing to try to help him out a little.

"I don't know, Sir" Harry gained a bit of confidence. The creature seemed very business-like, and although he looked different, he didn't feel threatening at all. "I'm an orphan. My aunt and uncle are...ah... Muggles? But I don't know about my parents."

He was torn about whether or not he should tell Griphook his name. His aunt had been very specific in her letter about not telling anyone, but why would that matter here? As he was thinking, he took his baseball cap off and scrubbed a hand through his hair, not realising that it revealed his scar.

The astonished Goblin saw it and recognised it immediately. Rubbing his hands together, he smiled to himself. This was a very fortunate day, indeed, as he would be the one to help one of the bank's most important customers. That's when it hit him: this boy did not act as he expected, and he did not act like a confident young pureblood coming to claim his inheritance. He was quiet and shy and acting like one of Tom Abbott's waifs and strays from the Leaky Cauldron.

"Ah, Mister Potter... one moment, and I'll get your file," he said, deciding to help the young man and see what happened.

"H-how do you know my name?!" Harry was alarmed and looked ready to flee.

"I apologise if I upset you Mr Potter. It's you're scar... it is well known in our world," Griphook soothed him. "Perhaps we should talk in a private office? It would seem someone has been keeping you quite ignorant of several very important matters. Shocking, quite shocking! We Goblins of Gringotts will help put that right immediately"

Harry nodded slowly. He had already concluded that this place was a bank, and surely people in banks had to be trustworthy... or Goblins, in this case, it would seem. If he had a file here... maybe he had something from his parents? That would be amazing, and he couldn't miss the chance.

He followed the goblin into a cosy office off to one side. Griphook waved him to the seat nearest the door, which showed just how well he could read his customer's needs. Quickly, he summoned another goblin to fetch the relevant files for him, and he offered the young wizard before him a snack.

"Umn... if it's not too much of a bother?" Harry nodded, suddenly realising how much time had passed since breakfast.

Without further ado, Griphook provided an array of biscuits and a sweet, light drink that tasted vaguely of pineapples with underlying flavours of elderflower and some sort of berry he couldn't quite identify.

"There you go, young Sir; some Moppak Cordial for you. It's my son's favourite. The wrapped biscuits are my grandmother's recipe, I always say even bad days look better after a bit of sugar." Griphook smiled as Harry took his first tentative sniff, then sip of the sweet beverage.

"Now then, I know this is a lot for you to understand, so I will just give you the basics, for today, and we can discuss it further once you have had time to process the information. Is that agreeable with you, Mr Potter?" He nodded as he saw the child understood. "Well then, the Potter family has a total of ten vaults with the bank, plus access to a few others under now dead family lines that married most recently into the Potter Tree. However, you only have access to your Trust vault until you are seventeen years of age."

Harry gaped at him. He had no idea how much money a vault held, but he didn't see why his family would have as many as ten if they weren't at least rather well off, if not actually stinking rich. This was more than he had ever imagined.

"Though as you are the last of your line," Griphook continued, "you will also have access to certain legal documentation, such as your parent's will, your own birth certificate, your land registry - though you will not be able to sell or buy any property as yet - and your Trustee Folio. If you feel that your Trustees have not served you well, at this point, you may request an audit by the bank, and we will become your Trustees whilst an audit is performed and their performance is evaluated by the Ministry of Magic. Have you any questions before we go down and visit your Trust vault?"

Harry clutched his ornate goblet, the sweet drink almost forgotten, his biscuit had been held so tightly it was now just a mess of crumbs over his jeans and the carpet.

"Who...who is my trustee?" He asked, voice quivering slightly as he tried to control his emotions. "And what are their duties?"

"Well, according to these documents, your original Trustee was Sirius Black, your Godfather. However, he was arrested just after your parent's death, so your protection was passed to... hmmm highly irregular..." Griphook tapped the parchment thoughtfully. "If these papers had been followed according to your mother's wishes, if Sirius Black was not available then care should have gone to the Longbottoms, however they are unfortunately in long term care so you should have gone to the final option listed on your parent's documentation, so a Mr Severus Snape was to be your Trustee and Guardian.

I quote from your father – "I would rather that snake Severus look after my son than those miserable Muggles my Wife is ashamed to call family"

However, it seems Mr Snape was never informed, and the position was claimed by Albus Dumbledore. He is the Chief Mugwump of the Wizengamot - basically he is something like the head of the House of Lords in Muggle politics? - And also the headmaster of Hogwarts School of Magic. I see no authority on his part for him to claim this position in your life, Mr Potter."

Griphook sounded both concerned that someone had managed to circumvent protocol so thoroughly and that the goblins hadn't picked up on it sooner. He looked over his reading glasses at the boy sitting in front of him in concern.

"In your case, your Trustee was also supposed to be your Guardian and raise you in your parent's stead. However, it seems that Professor Dumbledore instead chose to place you elsewhere? If so, he would be responsible for monitoring your care and teaching you about wizarding society. Am I to assume he has failed in these duties?"

The goblet dropped from Harry's nerveless fingers as he started panting with a curious mixture of anger and despair. He was never supposed to be with the Dursleys. He was supposed to have had someone checking on him, protecting him from harm, all this time! He should never have been left with people that hurt him and mentally tortured him for simply being his parents' son! And now he had someone to blame.

He struggled to bring himself back under control, lips tingling from the hyperventilation. Vaguely, he noticed that Griphook had moved from behind the desk and was now next to him, rubbing his shoulder gently, soothing the obviously distressed young man. Deciding to follow his instincts, he took the boy's hands and asked him another question.

"Are you one of Tom Abbott's boys? Is he helping you?"

Harry nodded. Griphook summoned his assistant again and sent him to fetch the Innkeeper. Despite being a father himself, he had little idea of how to cope with a distressed young wizard. Young goblins tended to use an axe or fire to try solve most of their problems and by ten years old were already apprenticed. It was many years since he'd held a youngling and tried to sooth them through such turmoil.

Apparently, the crowd outside had thinned out somewhat as Griphook's assistant, Hammerstrike, returned - leading a frantic looking Tom. As soon as the pub owner saw Harry slumped in the ornate seat, he shook himself free of his guide and hurried forward.

"There you are, lad! I've been right worried about ye. What've we been up to, hey?" He gently ran his hands over Harry's arms, reassuring himself that the boy was at least physically ok.

"Mr Abbott," Griphook greeted him, a short nod showing his respect. "Young Mr Potter, here, has only just found out about his Trustees and his heritage. He appears quite distressed."

"Mr Potter!" Tom yelped before composing himself. "I hadn't asked his name... I never believed... How?... Who...? Questions for another time, perhaps."

He shook his head and crouched back down by the shaking child, his questions and anger at the boy's past could come later. Right now, all that mattered was the boy before him.

"Harry... Harry, come on now. Look at me... please?" Tom coaxed the boy, pressing another goblet of Moppak Cordial into his hands as Griphook gave it to him. "Harry, it's me, Tom... from the pub. Are ye ok lad?"

Harry slowly focused on the man rubbing his arm and gave him a shaky smile. Tom was a familiar face in a world that had suddenly been turned upside down. Griphook only just rescued the drink as Harry threw himself into the elderly man's arms, sobbing in relief. The green eyed boy was crushed to realise that he had been through so much, and all this time he was supposed to be with someone else, someone who may not have hated him.

Tom was astonished as, after a few moments of heart-breaking sobs, Harry pulled himself back, a calm mask almost fully back in place, the only remaining sign of his emotional turmoil in his clenched hands and trembling lips. If he hadn't been a witness to the outburst a few seconds previously, then he would never have believed it had happened.

After Tom had been filled in on the details - with Harry's permission - he agreed to wait in Griphook's office while the goblin took Harry down to see his vault for the first time. Tom helped himself to some of the Moppak Cordial and biscuits while he waited.

Harry enjoyed his ride in the mine-cart. He had never been to a theme park, but it was how he had imagined a rollercoaster to feel, and the rush as they went through the spray of a waterfall had been amazing!

As Griphook opened the vault door, Harry had to force his mouth closed again, as his jaw just wanted to keep dropping. It was a huge room, almost the size of a soccer pitch from what he could see, and gold was piled everywhere, interspersed with piles of bronze and silver. By the door, there was a heavy, leather covered chest with a crest embossed on in.

"That chest contains the documents you have access to at this time, young Sir," Griphook indicated it. "This vault is your Trust vault and must last you the next seven years, I hope you will spend wisely." He smiled slightly at the child's awed look.

"School fees will be paid automatically. For anything else, simply come see us with this key," Griphook handed Harry the key he had used, "and we will be able to withdraw any funds you require. Is there anything else I can help you with, or would you like some time?"

"Umn... if it's ok, Mr Griphook? Can you help me go through the papers?" Harry ducked his head, waiting for the refusal. "Oh! And I want to do that thing - where you question my Trustee? - why he didn't do his job."

Every new sight stoked the rage and pain in Harry's chest, the fact that he had been living that life and this magical world of wonder was just around the corner waiting for him... it burned.

"Of course young Sir, and it's just Griphook... no Mister" the Goblin conjured a table and two chairs for them to sit at as he pulled out some of the documents. He only brought forward Harry's birth certificate and his parent's will for now - everything else could wait for a later meeting.

"Please, call me Harry then" Harry smiled shyly at the goblin, feeling more at ease and less embarrassed about his outburst now.

"Well, your birth certificate is very straight forward Master Harry." Griphook held it out. "It shows your date of birth, full name, parent's names and god parents and place of birth as Potter Hall so you were a home birth."

"Oh!" Harry was startled. "My name... it's Harold Rowan James Potter... I always thought it was just...Harry... Harry Potter"

"Well according to this..." the goblin perused the notes on the side of the certificate. "You were named for both great-grandfathers and your father, good family traditions. Now the Will, no great surprises, you inherited everything apart from a few small bequeaths that were distributed at the time. The only thing of note would be the codicil that states in the event of your parent's death you are to never be placed with your Mother's family... the...ah...Dursleys?"

Griphook gasped as power whirled around the now white faced boy, his eyes and fists clenched as he fought his temper. As before he soon recovered himself and tried to show that placid mask but Griphook knew that this boy was powerful and not a wizard to cross.

"I would suggest we go back upstairs. I have a proposal for you and Mr Abbott to keep you safe while we put the wheels in motion about the audit and any charges you wish to place. If that is ok with you M... Harry?" Griphook watched his newest client, curiosity dancing in his eyes.

~#~

Back in the plush private office, Griphook quickly gained Harry's permission to discuss all current issues with Tom present as his plan would require the older man's help.

"As the bank will become your Guardian and Trustees for the duration of the investigation M... Harry, my apologies it's habit I'm afraid, we need to place you somewhere safe until things are cleared up. I would suggest that you continue to stay at the Leaky Cauldron with Mr Abbott here, he is well known for his trustworthiness in the Wizarding world and in addition his inn is well warded against most scenarios." Griphook laid several parchments across his desk. "However, I would suggest creating a... new identity... to protect you while this happens. The entire Wizarding community is well aware that you are due to make your entry back into our society this year as you will be expected at Hogwarts this September. To protect you from the media and others who may or may not wish you well I would suggest a disguise as well as a new name. We at Gringotts can provide that as part of the audit process at no additional fee"

Harry and Tom blinked. Tom at the trust being placed in him by the goblins and Harry at the fact they weren't trying to force him into going to a foster family or orphanage straight away.

"First of all, we would have to change your name... what would you like to use for now? Obviously this is just on a temporary basis until legalities are sorted out for you or you are safely off to school, whichever comes first." Griphook looked at Harry questioningly.

"Umn... I don't know? How do you choose a new name?!" Harry looked panicked.

"May I make a suggestion" Griphook offered. "How about Rowan James? it's your middle names so you are still connected to your family, it won't confuse your magic as that is indeed part of who you are but no-one would ever think to connect it with 'Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived'..."

Harry scowled at hearing his title, it sounded stupid and he didn't even know why someone would call him that, surely anyone who was alive was 'the-person-who-lived'?

"That sounds fine, I like it... but what about..." Harry waved to his scar, letting Tom see it for the first time.

"Well, your hair and that scar are both very distinctive... the eyes, not so much as they are from your mother and look very different in your face. I think a goblin glamour to change your hair and hide the scar should be enough, along with some new glasses." Griphook said after some thought.

At Harry's nod of permission he started to weave the spells around the boy, using chants and complicated gestures for the goblin magic as opposed to a wand. Soon enough the scar was hidden and Harry's hair was a touch longer so the wild waves were a bit more manageable and a deep chestnut brown, the warm glow going well with his green eyes.

"Now, I have taken the liberty of withdrawing one hundred galleons from your account Harry... I mean Rowan" Griphook said, handing over a leather pouch. "Don't worry, it's bigger inside and I put a feather light charm on it for you. That is around five hundred pounds at the current exchange. Now, you can access your account under both 'Harry Potter' and 'Rowan James' as they are both you and your magic recognises that so don't worry about your identity. Just sign this paper as 'Harry' if you will, it requests the audit... that's right, and here's your identification parchment as 'Rowan' if any is needed. We will write to you at the Leaky Cauldron if we need anything further. Now, Mr Abbott - if you could take Mr P... ahem... James to get some new clothes and glasses as well as anything else you think he needs, that will be all for today I think."

Griphook smiled kindly at the young wizard, he had impressed the Account Manager with his intelligence and fortitude during what were obviously difficult revelations. To be treated with such dignity and respect by a wizard was refreshing as even those polite few like Mr Abbott were never quite so deferential to the Goblins' skills.

"Thank you so much Mr Griphook, you've been ever so helpful. If you can be in charge of the Audit and do whatever you think is needed, you really are the best Goblin ever! Thank you again!" Harry was almost giddy with excitement, he had a new name, money to spend and his adventure was just growing by the minute.

As he stepped out the bank with Tom he was amazed to see it was now late afternoon, he had been in the bank for several hours. Despite the Moppak cordial and the snacks he was now utterly famished and there was still more to do!

"Come on then H...Rowan" Tom winked. "Let's get a bite to eat and then some clothes sorted for you, after that if there's time we'll see if there's anything else you want today, if you're up to it. We can always come back tomorrow if you want to just head home now?"

Harry thought about it for a moment and then agreed to at least get some food for now and an outfit for the next day. It had been a long day and he was already very tired, his brain overloaded with the information he had gained from the bank. Idly, he wondered if he could find the Parisian Witch and thank her for causing the chaos that sent him there, without it he may not have met with Griphook or found himself with such a staunch supporter within the caverns of the Goblin Nation.

After a simple but hearty meal at the Crossed Wands, a friendly little cafe near the bank, they headed over to Madam Malkins. There, Tom took total control of the conversation and arranged a few simple shirts, a couple pairs of trousers, socks, pants, shoes that would magically resize to Harry's feet and a small selection of knitted jumpers. After those were sorted the assistant brought over three sets of plain, every day robes that would coordinate with any of the other items bought.

Harry was amazed by how quickly everything went. He soon realised though that the reason they had the bundles 'ready to go' as it were, only needing a quick resizing spell or two, was that Tom had a standing arrangement with the store for when he had kids show up so they always kept one or two bundles for both boys and girls tucked away ready.

The two assistants that had been helping them were smiling indulgently as every time they performed a charm on the clothes or summoned various items, the boy in front of them ooh'd and aah'd in surprise and delight, his eyes shining as he turned to Tom.

"Will I be able to do all that?" he gasped, half shy, half excited.

"Of course ye will lad, after we get your wand and after ye go to school to learn the spells." Tom chuckled. "Come on now, you're nearly asleep on your feet, it's been a big day so I think a spot of supper and then bed for you."

The shop assistants smiled as Harry thanked them politely as he left, carrying his new purchases with pride. This was the first time he could ever remember having new clothes just for him and he was determined to look after them and wear them with pride.

They were soon back at the Leaky Cauldron where Tom banished the clothes up to Harry's room with a simple flick of his wand. He sent for a light supper of soup and a crusty roll and a large glass of milk and sat Harry at what was already becoming 'his' table, tucked in near the counter and out of the way of most customers.

Tom settled back behind the bar, helping his son with the evening crowd, watching his young charge eat. He couldn't believe that Harry Potter of all people had turned up as one of his waifs and strays! The boy was supposed to be safe, growing up in the lap of luxury and taught all about his world and his role in it.

'Thank the gods that he had been found by me and the goblins and not by rogue Death Eaters or some other monster.' Tom thought to himself as he turned to his next customer.

"Oh hello Severus!" He blinked in surprise. "Fancy seeing you here, what can I do for you?"

"Tom" The dark haired customer nodded. "Just a coffee please, black. I need a room for the week as I need to stock up on supplies and I don't want to be flooing back and forth every five minutes, it just gets tedious."

"That it does" Tom smiled, though surly and gruff, Severus was one of his favourite customers. "You can't have your usual room I'm afraid as we have a young guest in there at the moment"

He nodded towards Harry, he had been placed in the small room at the back of the inn which Severus preferred due to the peace and quiet it offered. It also happened to be the room that Tom tended to use for his waifs due to being so calm and out of the way.

"Very well, I supposed needs must" Snape agreed begrudgingly, rubbing at his brow. A headache nagging behind the eyes.

Tom looked over him, his warm heart worried as he took in the tight, stressed, features. He had always had a soft spot for this particular wizard and would look forward to his supply trip to Diagon Alley.

"Look, Severus, why don't you stay here until I get back and we'll get out your favourite brandy. You look to have a lot on your shoulders lad." Tom said kindly, rubbing his young friend's shoulder. "I just need to get Rowan off to bed and I'll leave my boy in charge of the bar, it's a quiet enough night for him."

Severus could only nod as he watched the elderly innkeeper clear the young boy's dishes and lead the obviously sleepy child up the back stairs. Rubbing his head again he growled to himself, no-matter what he did the daily struggle just seemed to be getting worse.

~#~

Tom steered Harry through a wash, brushing his teeth, into his new pyjamas and into bed. He sighed as the sleepy boy still managed to keep a wary eye on him throughout and stayed up to bolt the door as Tom left. Now that he knew the boy's real identity, Tom found the nervous behaviour even more distressing than he normally did in his strays. At least with the average Muggle-born you could maybe understand their parents fear even if you couldn't condone their reactions, but with the Boy-Who-Lived? He should never have been left with people who would fear magic.

Shaking his head he tried to put it out of his head, he had another boy to look after this evening and he was waiting downstairs. Harry was safe for the night and would have another busy day tomorrow. He stopped by his private office to pick up a bottle of his finest Armagnac, a bottle of Darbeau from 1962. It was nearly forty-seven galleons a bottle but well worth it when it came to spoiling his boys.

~#~

Back down in the bar Severus was staring moodily into his coffee. He was looking forward to talking with Tom, the old man always helped put things into perspective and he always had a neutral position in the politics of things so Severus was never made to feel guilty about his choices as long as he had valid reasons for making them.

"There we go lad" The older man's voice startled him from his introspection. "Let's go over to Rowan's table with these."

They settled at the secluded table with a healthy snifter apiece and a large bowl of buttered crusty bread slices between them, the bread still warm from the oven. For several moments they sat in companionable silence, nibbling on the delicious bread and sipping slowly at the excellent drink.

Tom looked over his young companion, noting how his black hair hung limp and greasy past his shoulders, his skin even more sallow than usual and the hollows under his eyes making his nose stand out as even more hawkish than normal. It had been a long time since he had seen his young friend looking quite so worn and weary.

"Tom" Severus started talking unexpectedly. "I have... discovered something very distressing. I don't know quite what to do."

"Why not tell me about it, maybe talking it out will help?" The kindly innkeeper offered.

"Well, you know how I was when we first met? I was so angry at the world and didn't trust anyone?" The weary younger man swirled his drink. "I gave my trust to very few over the years since then, and only those few because of your help. Well I found out recently that one of those few have betrayed me."

"Ach lad, that's dreadful." Tom winced in sympathy. "Was it deliberate or are they just careless with your trust my boy?"

"Oh it was most deliberate" Severus snarled, gulping the last of his drink and slamming his glass down. "He has controlled everything and arranged to make my life hell. And there is nothing I can do about it. I can't even talk in detail in case he hurts you or others I care about."

"Oh Severus, if there's one thing I know is that you will find a way." Tom soothed him, patting his angrily twitching hand on the table and refilling the glass. "I won't press you for further details but you are welcome to stay here as long as you need to. I remember when you stayed here as a boy, you were definitely one of my favourites with your clever mind and marvellous inventions. I still use the polish you invented to protect my bar and tables, it works a treat to protect against spell damage. I know you only came here after your Ma died and were older than my usual lads but I care about you just as much. I've told you before and I'll tell you again Severus Snape, you have a home here as long as you need it."

Severus sighed, running a hand through his lank hair and grimacing. He hated feeling like this, he liked order and control and knowing exactly what to expect. Being blindsided like this had shaken him and for some reason he was unable to control his emotions which only distressed him further. Added to that he was being watched too closely for him to go visit his master or his other friends and the constrictions were chaffing.

"Come on lad, a bath and a good night's sleep will help no end." Tom tried to cheer him up a little. "I'm sure you have much to do over the next few days, it's going to take several days for you to find all the books you need isn't it?"

Tom winked as he tidied the glasses away and wiped the table. He showed Severus to the next quietest room, this time just by the entrance to the family's quarters. With most of his family out in the world with their own families and careers it actually felt nice having a new 'rescue' and one of his old lads staying, it gave him some new bodies to fuss over.

As he went through to join his wife Millie he chuckled to himself, sometimes he wondered if the gods had a file on him labelled 'the ultimate Hufflepuff', he just wasn't happy unless he was helping someone.

~#~

Harry bounded down to breakfast, for the first time in years he felt truly optimistic. He had woken up ridiculously early and spent ages choosing between his new clothes before deciding on an outfit of a pale grey shirt, charcoal grey trousers, his shiny black shoes and a sleeveless knitted pullover in a pattern of brown and green diamonds with overlying thin black lines. It reminded him of pictures he'd seen in his uncle's golf magazines but at the same time he thought it would 'look right' for the new world he was in.

Every day since coming here he had seen both Tom and his son wear these types of pullover over shirts and simply roll their sleeves up when it was warm. Overall he thought the style of dress was very much late Victorian through to WWI and he liked it, compared to his previous experience of uncomfortable, threadbare clothing in the modern style this new clothing felt well-made and like it would endure, though the formal style shoes felt very odd.

He carried his robes down to the dining area, it was far too warm inside to wear them and he wasn't entirely sure how to wear them. He had chosen the deep brown ones to go with his pullover and he wasn't sure if he liked the idea of wearing too much green, it was just too noticeable for his tastes.

"Ah there ye are Rowan, just in time for breakfast." Tom's eldest son, Jeremy, greeted him. "Here, put that away and ye'll be set for the day."

With that he set a plate with bacon, eggs and toast in front of Harry and a bowl of the sweet, creamy porridge and another glass of milk. Harry smiled shyly up at him before tucking in eagerly, this early the only other customer was the tall, dark man he recognised from the night before. Jeremy had given him the same breakfast but with coffee instead of the milk.

Tom came in just as Harry was scraping up the last of his porridge, he was feeling incredibly full but he'd figured out that Tom had told the kitchen staff - Millie and several house elves - that he needed 'feeding up'. After greeting Severus, Tom came to Harry and smiled widely.

"Hey there Rowan, those clothes look good on you." He complimented the blushing boy. "If you're finished we can head into the Alley and finish up getting you sorted out?"

"Okay Mr Tom." Harry replied, still unable to shake his habits.

Tom simply shook his head indulgently and led him through to the Alley wall, taking him back through to the Wizarding shopping district. He helped Harry settle the robes over his shoulders so they hung correctly and they headed towards one of the narrow side streets. Just down Hellas Close they stopped outside what looked like a normal house. The entire street was a tiny residential area but it was also the home of Healer Witherhorne, a private healer that Tom took all of his young guests to see as soon as possible.

Healer Witherhorne was much less intimidating than a visit to St. Mungos and her kind, grandmotherly appearance generally put them at ease. Inside her cosy home she was able to treat most of their physical ails and let Tom and their new guardians know what was needed to heal their souls.

"Ah Tom, I got your owl. This must be Rowan, it's a pleasure to be meeting you young man. Come in, come in. Sit yourselves down and we'll soon have you sorted out." she greeted them, her soft Irish lilt warm and welcoming.

Her lounge was decorated in cool earthy tones with warm brown sofas around the fire. In one corner a high stool was kept next to a trolley and what looked like a Muggle clipboard. As the healer followed in behind them she summoned those items forward and called Harry to her.

"Come on then Rowan, I find it's often best just to get straight down to matters so we can get them out of the way and have a nice cup of tea. If you can just hop up on the stool? That's right dear, now, I don't know if Tom explained but I'm what's called a healer. That's like a Muggle doctor, I'll be running a few diagnostic spells... don't worry it won't hurt a bit... and we'll be able to make sure you are as healthy as can be. Okay?" She stood back from him, letting him have some space to process her words and their meaning.

"Yes Ma'am" He whispered, quite liking her open and forward manner.

"Righty-ho, let's get started dear." She bustled around efficiently, setting a Ready-Rite quill to the parchment on the clipboard, ready to take the notes from her diagnostics.

As she began to cast the series of complicated charms the Ready-Rite set to work, new parchment appearing as needed. It was a charmed quill similar to the journalists' 'Quick Quotes' quills but wrote full reports, not just shorthand notes that could be misunderstood later.

Harry tried to sit as still as he could but he was entranced by the healer's wand and kept twisting to follow her movements. He thought that the spell work looked beautiful with the burning trails of magic and the almost dancing moves of the wand leaving a delicate web of blue green fire in the air.

Healer Witherhorne pursed her lip as she finished. There was an extensive history of abuse evident, as all too often seen with Tom's boys, but there was also something else. Some sort of darkness shrouded the boy's magical core, weakening it and blocking growth. She had never seen such a phenomenon and would have to call in outside help, a curse-breaker would be the most logical option or perhaps a soul mage.

Picking up the stack of parchments from the Ready-Rite, she turned to her patient and smiled cheerfully. At least his past was behind him and now they could start the long task of healing the damage.

"There now dear, that's all the diagnostics done, how did that feel?" She asked brightly.

"That was amazing!" Harry replied. "I could feel a tickle but it didn't hurt and the magic looks pretty!"

"That's very kind of you to say. I have your notes here and I'm sure none of it will be a surprise, now I have to ask, are you happy for me to talk about this in front of Tom or would you like us to talk alone?" The elderly healer asked him.

"I...I'd like to talk to you alone first if... if that's ok?" Harry looked over at Tom and chewed his lip, worried that he'd offended the old wizard.

"Ack, that's fine lad, this can be very personal." Tom allayed his fears. "You can always ask me about anything you don't understand later if you need to"

Tom smiled reassuringly, his eyes crinkling with genuine warmth. He quietly stepped out the room, heading to the kitchen where he had waited when previous boys had requested time alone with the healer.

"There now dear, he'll not hear anything from in here. So what we need to do is get you on a series of potions, we need to repair the damage from the malnutrition so your immune system can protect you and you can grow properly and your organs can work properly. I also need you to take a supplement for your bones for a while, you've had a couple of nasty breaks and again because you've not had enough to eat they are a bit weaker than I'd like. Overall though you're in a lot better shape than some in your shoes so we have a lot to be glad for."

The healer smiled brightly again and offered him a glass of milk and some biscuits before carrying on.

"This next bit is probably a wee bit upsetting dear. Those injuries to your back, they need fixing up straight away so we can make sure they don't scar. Now your magic has done a grand job by itself but it's only a couple of spells and a potion to go in your bath and you won't even have a mark after a couple of weeks. It will get rid of the older scars too." She looked him in the eye as she spoke, letting him see her sincerity.

Harry nodded, chewing his lower lip. His back was still sore, aching when he moved and throbbing if he laid on it at night. Although the aloe had prevented infection setting in and his magic had started the healing, there was still a lot of muscle and tissue damage. Due to his lack of regular food, even with what he had stolen using his magic to hide, he had very few reserves to fuel his magic in the repairs.

"Now, would you like ridding yourself of those glasses for good?" She went on to ask, waving towards his broken frames. "There's a couple of spells followed up by potions that mean we could be freeing you from them by the end of the month if you so like."

Harry was smiling widely at that, he was so tired of feeling vulnerable whenever his glasses were broken or taken by someone else, leaving him unable to defend himself with any success.

"That'd be great Ma'am... it... won't hurt will it?" he asked, his expression warring between hope and fear, half expecting her to say she was joking after all.

"No dear, though it can be a wee bit uncomfortable during the last week so I suggest a lot of sleep and quiet rest during that part. None of the others hurt either though this bruise balm I would like you to use can itch a wee bit while it works, passes within a couple of hours though." She handed him a tin filled with a sweet smelling yellow ointment. "Now I'll just get your potions together with their instructions and we'll get you on your way."

"Please Ma'am, how much do I owe you?" Harry asked, afraid that he wouldn't have enough left after his marvellous clothes.

"Och, away with you!" She replied. "I don't need to be paid, you obviously need me and we should always help those in need. Getting better is payment enough"

"Please... please let me pay. My parents were magical, they left me some money! I can pay." Harry was almost begging, his cries of distress bringing Tom through from the kitchen.

"H...Rowan! Whatever is the matter lad?" He asked, alarmed at the sight of the distressed boy.

"He wants to pay me, Tom" Healer Witherhorne answered instead. "He's quite distressed at the idea of being in my debt I think."

"Ah, that will do it." Tom agreed. "He has some money Rhiannon, let him pay you something. Believe me, he's not one for debts and he'll fret if you don't."

"Very well, Tom, if you think it's for the best" She knelt down near the whimpering boy. "It's okay Rowan, you can pay if you want to. It's two galleons and five sickles for the potions and check-up." She helped him count it out, showing him the different coins and their values.

~#~

It took Tom nearly an hour and an ice-cream at Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlour to get Harry fully relaxed again after his panic attack at the healer's. He was horrified when he found out why, one of the things that Harry had memorised from the child protection lessons they had in his primary schools over the years, is that abusers could pretend to help children in abusive homes but then request sexual favours as 'payment' for the help received.

Harry's fears had been further reinforced by his so called family taunting him with insults and suggestions that he would be a whore on the streets if not for their care and he should be grateful that they only made him do chores.

Tom couldn't believe his ears, it had been a few years since he's last picked up a Muggle-born in need of help, over the last thirty years or so their parents had generally been much more accepting when it was discovered their children were different. Progress had still been slow and Tom had still had many runaways but they had all actually ended up using the pay phone at the end of the street to call home and would have a frantic relative arriving within twenty-four hours to collect their wayward child.

Tom had still been able to help these families, often putting them in touch with a 'foster' Muggle family which had a wizard or witch child, this way they could learn about their new world from someone 'in the same boat' as it were and not feel too overwhelmed.

Of course there were many that came through his bar that he wished he could help, those with sour faced parents, those creeping through looking alone and scared or those that went through hiding bruises and a haunted look in their eye. However if they didn't ask for help or didn't stay in the Inn, under his protection, he couldn't do anything for them. There was no department of Child Welfare within the Wizarding Government or any official channel with which he could raise his concerns. All he could do was keep quietly offering his help to those who asked, call in the Aurors when he suspected things of getting messy and get his friends in the Adoption Bureau involved when he could.

His father and grandfather had been hampered the same way and soon enough so would his son Jeremy when he took over. As much as they would like to they couldn't approach children they thought needed help in an overt manner unless they were near collapse otherwise they could be all too easily charged with kidnap or coercion by angry relatives or the child themselves.

~#~

The next day started out much the same for Harry, he once again spent time carefully choosing an outfit to wear before going down to a hearty breakfast. This time he ended up facing the tall, sharp faced man that seemed to also be staying in the inn.

Harry kept glancing at him, he could sense something about this man that was very much like himself, he couldn't identify the cause, but it was there all the same. As Tom collected him to take him through to the alley again Harry gathered his courage and darted forward, placing a packet of the biscuits Griphook had given him by the tall man.

"Here Sir, my last packet, Mr Griphook at the bank gave them to me. He says everything looks a little better with sugar. They really help, bye!" he said shyly, running after Tom as soon as he finished speaking.

Severus looked up, confusion filling his face as he watched the boy leave. That little act of random kindness touched him more than he could have believed was possible. Taking one of the biscuits from the pack he bit into it thoughtfully, after a few detection charms for potions and spells of course. Why break many years of habits now? The biscuit was delicious and complimented his morning coffee well. Despite himself, Severus was a little more cheerful as he made his own way out into the alley for the day.

~#~

Harry was trotting along by Tom's side, the older man was walking quite briskly along as they had quite a lot to achieve before lunchtime. Jeremy was bringing his daughter, Hannah, to the Leaky today and he wanted Harry to meet her as they would both be off to Hogwarts in September.

They went to Ollivander's first to get Harry his wand. They wouldn't be getting the rest of his school supplies until August but Tom wanted him to have that physical link to his magic and have the same small amount of practice that children from magical families had before school.

As they entered the cluttered shop Harry was overwhelmed by the ambient magic caused by the many wands kept there. As he was gaping in awe a strange wizened little man came from among the boxes and greeted them cheerily.

"Ah Tom Abbott, I remember you. Willow with a Unicorn Hair core, very whippy, perfect for charms and empathic magic. And who is this with you? My ... Mr Potter, I was expecting you. I remember your parents but that's for another time perhaps. Let's see..." he chattered cheerfully, bustling off into the stacks.

Harry was gobsmacked, his scar was hidden and he was disguised, how did the odd little man know who he was? He was soon distracted by Ollivander's return.

"Now, let's try this one. Hawthorn and a dragon's Heartstring ... no? Then how about Apple wood and Hippogryph feather? Hmmm no..." he muttered, offering wand after wand to the bemused boy.

After over twenty minutes of searching and at least a hundred wands, Ollivander seemed to suddenly have a revelation and pulled out a dusty box from the back of the store, bringing it to Harry and presenting it with fanfare.

"Now try this one, I should have known, should have expected... extraordinary... truly unique!" he said, hands fluttering in excitement as Harry picked up the slender wand.

Once again Harry gave it a flick and there was only a feeble sputter of sparks, Ollivander's face fell in exaggerated disappointment.

"Oh I would have sworn that was the wand for you! Holly and Phoenix Feather - the brother to the wand that gave you that scar, should have been yours... perhaps we need to do this another way my boy." Ollivander patted Harry on the shoulder, either not noticing or ignoring the flinch he elicited. "Stand in the middle of the store, close your eyes and follow your magic. You should feel the faintest of pulls that leads you to your perfect wand. The wand chooses the Wizard you know!"

Harry closed his eyes as ordered, ears straining to listed out for any dangers. As he stood there he realised he could sense a faint trail of silver magic leading from him so he followed it. He stumbled through the store, twisting and turning as he went until he discovered the box that held his wand.

He was at the far back of the store, in a space littered with detritus and broken or half-finished wands.

He looked down into his hands and saw the most amazing sight, his wand was two slender pieces of branch - or rather the shoots that come off a branch to support the leaves of a tree - tightly coiled around each other and polished to an almost smooth finish. At intervals small blue studs fastened through the coils holding the pieces of wood together, though bright in colour the little pegs seemed to absorb what light there was available in the dusty corner.

He carried it to the front of the store where Ollivander and Tom were waiting expectantly for him, both gasped at the sight of his new wand but for very different reasons. Tom had never seen a wand containing two woods before, or with crystal studs - it looked completely alien to him. Ollivander on the other hand thought that this wand would never sell, it showed no signs of actually working and had been discarded as a failed experiment.

"Marvellous... highly unusual!. You have chosen perhaps the most unique wand ever created!" Ollivander trembled in excitement. "This wand is truly spectacular - you see it is an experiment my Grandfather was working on before the turn of the century... the woods are spring growth of Rowan and Alder intertwined and pegged with bars of Egyptian Lapis. The core is perhaps one of the rarest of all, the crest feather of a Quetzalcoatl - the feathered serpent of the Aztecs, now all but extinct. Yes... yes, this wand will serve you well in times to come Mr Potter, it will serve you very well indeed."

Tom looked concerned as they paid for the wand and headed on to Flourish and Blotts, the main book store in the Alley. There, Harry was very impressed by the huge selection of books and the insane selection of titles and genres available.

"Here ye are Rowan" Tom smiled "Let's get you some books sorted, I'll grab you the basics I think you need, you have a wander and grab anything that catches your eye and I'll go through them with you in a little bit before we pay. Meet me at the large reading area just over there in an hour, ok?"

Harry nodded absently before wandering off into the wondrous Aladdin's cave of treasure before him. He soon started pulling out books and was quickly staggering under the weight of "Magical Beasts of the Americas", "Wands, Woods and Why", "Familiarity with Familiars", "If Wishes Were Horses: Accidental Magic - Melodrama through the Ages", "Things That Go Bump in the Night: Creatures to Avoid", "The Ghosts of Hogwarts", "Shiver My Timbers: The Greatest Ghost Ships" and finally "How Does Your Garden Grow? Spells for the Green Fingered".

He managed to get them all to the table and waited for Tom, who when he arrived just chuckled at the number. Harry chewed his thumbnail nervously as he watched his temporary guardian go through his pile of books with care.

"Hmmm, you've made some interesting choices here, but I think this one can go back, it will just lead to worrying and nightmares if you read it before you are used to the Wizarding world." Tom put 'Things That Go Bump in the Night: Creatures to Avoid' to one side. "Oh and this one too, it's already covered in one of the books I picked out for you." He also put 'The Ghosts of Hogwarts' back on the shelf.

Harry nodded and started to look over the collection of books that Tom had brought over for him to read. The titles were all just as strange and wonderful as others he had seen within the store: "From Muggle to Mugwump: Titles and Terms", "So You Thought You Were a Muggle?", "Magic Is Magnificent: Welcome to the Wizarding World in Ten Easy Steps", "Cyrus Cringle's Crash Course: Traditions, Holidays and Social Settings Explained", "Hogwarts: A History", "Magical Misconceptions: What Muggles Got Wrong" and finally "Bertram Bojangles Magical Atlas: A Guide to the Magical World"

Harry could see that he would have a lot of reading to do over the next month if he was to be prepared in time for going to Hogwarts. He thanked his lucky stars he enjoyed reading as he helped Tom carry the final book selection over to the counter to pay before heading back to the Leaky Cauldron.

~#~

Severus Snape was equally busy in Flourish and Blotts when Tom and his young charge were in there. He took a casual interest in the russet haired boy, his interest piqued by their earlier interaction. He could barely believe that the young boy was picking out so many books for himself and from what the dour Potions Master could see they were well considered and useful books.

He continued with his own order, making note of several books and purchasing copies to peruse at his own leisure. He needed to update to school library with extra books for suggested reading for homework assignments as well as expanding his own research library.

While picking out his Potions related texts Severus also selected a few rather hefty tomes on Mind Healing and other magics related to emotional wellbeing and mental magic. After discovering the manipulations and spell work that had been skilfully woven around him over the years he was determined to discover how to reverse the damage.

Several books he merely took note of the titles. They were borderline very dark and he would have to order them anonymously by owl to avoid anyone knowing he had them. As it was he was pretending that these books were a gift for the school's Mediwitch, Madam Pomfrey and he would indeed pass them along to her after a quick duplication charm gave him copies too.

He rubbed his temples wearily, almost twenty years of duplicity and stress were tiring and to discover that much of it had been made even more difficult than necessary was a hard blow to take. He had always been defensive and quite harsh personality wise but looking back over his teaching career he winced to see just how vindictive he had been - towards mere children!Hopefully with his new research and the help of his friends he would be able to escape the outside influences that had been controlling his actions.

~#~

Harry had positively inhaled his lunch and headed up to his room as quick as he could. Tom had asked him to come down at three to meet his granddaughter Hannah but otherwise his afternoon was his own and those books were calling to him.

He spread them out over the large desk at one end of his room. Reaching into his backpack he pulled out his old Muggle notebook from his old school and a rather worn biro and started taking notes. Reaching for his new wand and the book "Wands, Woods and Why" he started reading. The book actually covered pretty much every known wood, crystal and core used in wand making and their properties, and he was desperate to understand the looks the adults had been giving him over his apparently unusual wand.

"Hmm" He muttered to himself, writing furiously. "At least each section is alphabetical."

'Alder: Unusual in that it is both water loving yet highly combustible - opposing elements of Fire and Water combined in harmony, making it Sacred to the Wood Fae and those following the Green Ways. Also known as the Warrior Tree due to its fierce flame, and symbolises Strength and Determination. Due to its Water Affinity it can channel Water Magics and Bind Negative Spirits.

Rowan: Also known as the Witch Tree amongst Muggles due to the pentagram on the bottom of the berries. Regarded as a protection against Evil Charms and Enchantment, Wards away Evil Spirits, Guides the Bearer Home Safely. Also associated with Vision and Healing and fostering a strong bond with Familiars, Spirit Guides and the Elements.

Lapis: Opaque Crystal or Mineral aligned with the element of Water. Acts as an emotional Catalyst and can boost spell power. Is associated with Courage, Wisdom, Insight, Strength, Purity and Compassion.'

Grimacing, Harry shook his hand out, fingers stiff. It had taken him over an hour to find the information even with the easy layout as he kept getting distracted by the other exotic items in the book. Who knew there were over sixty types of woods, seventy-five suitable types of crystal and some fifty plus types of 'common' cores. He hadn't been able to find his core in the book as it was too rare.

Carefully putting the first book away he pulled out "Magical Beasts of the Americas" - maybe the section about the animal itself would help him. He discovered the book differed greatly from Muggle information on many of the creatures within, obviously the Muggle myths and beliefs had only used very small kernels of information that had become heavily twisted over time. Quickly turning to the creature that provided his wand core, he wrote down its main properties.

'Quetzalcoatl: Feathered Serpent, revered by both the Mayans and the Aztecs. Master of both Earth and Air Elemental Magics, the Quetzalcoatl is able to combine powers and also call on Water Elemental powers to master storms. Quetzalcoatl have been known to bond with Wizards and Witches in the past, known only to bond with those of pure intentions and heart. Unlike the Phoenix the Quetzalcoatl can free itself from a bond at any time if they suspect their bonded has become twisted by their powers or strayed from their path.

Use in Potions, Amulets and Wands: Due to their rarity over the last three centuries there have been very few documented uses in recent times. Quetzalcoatl only willingly give their feathers, scales and venom to their Bonded Wizard or Witch so unless a gatherer is fortunate enough to find naturally cast items within fifteen minutes of being shed, no sources are available as hunted components lose all magic or become harmful when used.

In Potions all components are used for purity and clarity, (note: read up on Mexican potions to see why they're used. Could be interesting!) While in Amulets they provide protection against attacks on the mind and soul, protecting purity.

In Wands it varies marginally on which part of the Quetzalcoatl is used as a core. Wing or Crest Feather, Fang or Scales. All provide an affinity for Earth and Air magic. Those who bear a wand with a Quetzalcoatl core are often very close to nature and both pure of heart and intuitive. If they become dark or seek to cause overall harm with their magic then the wand will cease to obey. As the Quetzalcoatl will only bond with one Wizard or Witch, a wand bearing a core from the beast will only obey one owner unless it feels defiled, then it simply will become inert until it is held by someone it deems worthy.'

"Huh" Harry mused. "Sounds like I have to behave if I want it to behave for me then I'll have to make sure I don't use it for harm. Guess that rules out using it on the Dursleys ... ah well"

He had just moved on to reading up about the basic social structure within Wizarding Britain and how he would be expected to hold himself, speak and act if he wanted to fit in when there was a knock at his door. On his reply Tom opened the door and let him know that Jeremy had arrived with Hannah and that Harry was invited through to the family portion of the building to meet her.

Suddenly nervous, Harry smoothed his blue and yellow pullover down anxiously and tried to tidy his hair before grabbing his sketchbook and the copy of "Cyrus Cringle's Crash Course: Traditions, Holidays and Social Settings Explained" as he followed Tom down to the family quarters. Somehow having something in his arms helped him feel more secure and they would provide a distraction once he was able to withdraw to a corner and leave the Abbotts to each other.

He had already flicked through the section on meeting new people within the Wizarding World and he kept running over the procedure in his mind as they approached the living room. He had never had opportunity to make friends with children his own age before, Dudley had made sure of that, and the parents of his classmates had all believed Vernon and Petunia when they said he was a lying, cheating, dangerous delinquent and rapidly on the path to a juvenile prison.

In the cosy family room he stood slightly behind Tom, clutching the books to his chest, his emerald eyes large as he chewed his lower lip. On the sofa there was a young blond girl, she was chattering comfortably with Jeremy and waving her hands as she described something to him.

"Ah, here we are" Tom said warmly as Jeremy and Hannah spotted him. "Jeremy, you have already met young Rowan here, Hannah my dear - this is Rowan James, he'll be in your year at Hogwarts - he starts in September too. I thought the two of you may like to meet before school so you'll both have a friendly face when you get there. Hannah love - Rowan has been Muggle raised so I'm sure he will have many questions about our world."

The two children stared at each other, both shy and not sure how to begin. Harry wrinkled his nose as he thought about the passage in his book and suddenly stuck out his right hand as he stood tense and poised for flight.

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance Miss Abbott, how are you?" he asked stiffly with a rigid little half bow.

Both adults tried to control themselves, lips twitching as they watched the children greet each other, both obviously unsure of how to proceed.

"I'm well thank you Mr James, pleased to meet you. I hope you are well" Hannah replied, just as uncomfortable as she took his hand and bobbed in an uncertain curtsy.

"Umn.. I'm ok... I guess." Harry chewed his lip again. This is where the book told him to use 'small talk'... how did he do that?! "I... ah... guess you're a Witch then?" He asked, wincing internally.

"Yeah" Hannah replied. "I hope I end up in Hufflepuff like Dad and Granddad, though Ravenclaw would be good too... come on, let's sit on the sofa. Which house do you think you'll be in?"

With the ice broken the two children started to talk, it was still somewhat stilted and shy, at least on Harry's side, but Hannah was beginning to show the warmth and open nature that her family were known for.

After about half an hour Harry was being a little more open and after having heard that he didn't know about the different houses he was being taught all about them using Hannah's copy of "Hogwarts: A History".

Harry wasn't saying much, mostly simply nodding or shaking his head as needed or shrugging a shoulder. His body language remained quite tense, but he did gradually stop looking around for escape routes and watching the adults with suspicion.

Jeremy smiled sadly at the two children, Hannah was a gentle and friendly child, and it spoke greatly of this boy's previous experiences that he was struggling to open up or feel comfortable even with her. It was a miracle he seemed so at home with Jeremy's father, but that just indicated that Rowan had never had much exposure to more elderly figures and therefore had less reason to distrust them on sight - though he was definitely still wary and Tom was still earning the boy's trust.

"So now you know why I want to be Hufflepuff!" Hannah concluded with a smile. "Now do you have any idea which one you think you'll be?"

"Umn... Maybe Ravenclaw? I really like reading..." Harry offered nervously "Or maybe Slytherin. Survival seems kinda my thing... definitely not Gryffindor - they sound too... pushy and don't think about consequences and I don't think I'd be a good Hufflepuff, I don't do well in groups"

He ducked, looking afraid as he claimed to not be interested in her favourite house, worried that she would hate him or berate him.

"Oh that's alright" Hannah smiled warmly. "We can still be friends, wherever you end up! That's the great thing about being a 'Puff if I get in there! Oh I saw you have a sketch pad earlier... what do you like to draw?"

She drew him away from the uncomfortable moment with natural skill, barely even aware of the fact as she headed off a panic attack in the younger boy. It was long known that the Abbotts were low level empaths, able to get subtle readings off people around them when they felt an emotion particularly strongly. It was a skill that allowed the landlord of the Leaky to break up many a potential brawl before it actually started, saving them a fortune in furniture.

Hannah ooh'd and aah'd over the drawings in the book. This was the sketchbook Harry had received at the zoo, and he had been copying the pictures in the information booklet he had also received. The young Witch had never seen many of the Muggle animals featured.

"Oh Harry! The animals are so good, you're a real artist. They're really strange too! Very odd, I never saw anything like them." She exclaimed.

"Well, we're not that far from the zoo here - maybe one day your dad could take you?" Harry suggested shyly.

"That's a great idea!" Hannah squealed in excitement. "I hope he'll let me go! I'd love to see the Muggle world - of course you'll have to come and explain how it all works for me, be our guide"

Harry could only sit, jaw dropping in shock as she bounced up and immediately started to bombard her father with ideas for a trip to Muggle London. Pressing himself further into the corner of the sofa he waited for Jeremy to unleash his anger at Harry putting such outlandish ideas in his daughter's head. He gulped as Jeremy turned towards him, one eyebrow raised.

~#~

Severus was sitting in the restaurant area of the bar, just about to eat his evening meal, when Tom's latest waif came in and sat at his usual and secluded table, looking very pale. The Potions Master wondered what could have the child so shaken. He still hadn't had any significant interaction with Rowan but from what he had seen, the boy had seemed somewhat resilient, if wary.

Curious, he waited until Tom came over with his coffee and asked him what had happened.

"Oh, it was a sight to see." Tom chuckled quietly "He had been showing my Hannah some pictures of Muggle zoo animals, and mentioned that the zoo is near here, out in Muggle London... well of course that was her off and she's planned a trip to the zoo for next summer! Informed her father of the plans and is going to be inviting 'all her new friends she's sure to make at school, a trip to the Muggle world will be just so educational and exciting' and she's volunteered young H...Rowan there to be their guide. Poor lad looked like he wanted the floor to swallow him whole! Especially when my Jeremy started asking him questions about the zoo and the dangers and things. Obviously living here we have a little more experience of the Muggle world than the average pureblood, but it's still largely a mystery."

Snape snorted lightly as he raised his mug.

"I could almost feel sorry for the boy if it wasn't so pitiful he allowed himself to be outmanoeuvred by a couple of Hufflepuffs" he smirked.

"I would say she hasn't been sorted yet... but it is rather obvious" Tom smiled fondly. "At least the two young 'uns talked, she got him to open up a bit. I'm taking them both out on the 31st for their school supplies, any surprises on the school lists?"

"Tom, you know as well as I do that the school list for first years hasn't changed since before your eldest went to Hogwarts, in fact I think we use the same list that you used for your first year. The Wizarding world is not exactly known for its progress or ability to be forward thinking! Hell, most of those books you buy for your waifs aren't even used for Muggle Studies, despite being more than a hundred years more recent than the ones used in that ridiculous waste of a class!" Severus replied sardonically.

"Aye, that's true enough." the elderly Wizard replied. "In fact, Hannah is mostly getting Jeremy's old equipment, there's years' worth of wear left in that old cauldron yet."

Both men watched as a slightly less pale Harry finished his light meal and headed back upstairs, nose still buried in his copy of "Cyrus Cringle's Crash Course" as it had been through the meal. Tom shook his head slightly.

"Poor kid, he's been obsessing over that book for a good part of the afternoon, even while he was in my quarters. He's so scared we'll kick him out if he puts a foot wrong." he sighed.

"If he's anything like most of the boys you help he'll soon settle in and learn to relax. Probably a Ravenclaw if he takes to studying so well." Severus replied, draining his cup. "I think I will retire too, that cretin Mitchell at the Apothecary thinks he can get away with supplying substandard potion ingredients to me. If I am going to get through tomorrow without casting an unforgivable then I had best get plenty of rest."

With that Severus headed to his own room, for some reason unable to completely rid himself of the image of the young auburn-haired boy studiously reading that book, laser like intensity as he tried to absorb all the information within.

~#~

Harry barely left his room for the next few days other than to eat, a couple of 'play dates' with Hannah, and a couple of follow ups with the Healer. He spent every other waking moment either devouring the information within his books, eager to learn about his new world and the wonders it contained, or drawing.

He spent hours drawing intricate copies of the illustrations from the books, especially the ones containing images of creatures he had either never heard of or thought to be of myth and fairy tale. Tom even managed to supply him with some more sketch pads in heavy, handmade papers and a set of water paints to experiment with, and his artwork was becoming more and more lavish.

Tom had actually asked permission to keep one of the pictures and Harry had gladly given it. It was a surprisingly elegant piece for an almost eleven year old, and depicted a remarkably lifelike Barn Owl, very much like Tom's own post owl Genevieve.

Before he knew it, it was the morning of the 31st and Tom was waking him with a gentle knock on the door.

"Happy Birthday son, come on down for breakfast and we'll head into the alley before it's too busy." Tom called through the door.

As Harry walked into the dining area he was surprised to see Tom, Millie, Jeremy, Hannah and Professor Snape all waiting for him, though the Professor stood at the back of the group with a slightly sour expression and one slender eyebrow raised as if to question why he was there.

Harry couldn't help but smile when the Abbotts sang 'Happy Birthday' and gave him a stack of sweet, buttery pancakes with bananas and syrup for breakfast as a special treat. Even the Professor gave him a slight smile as he was thanking everyone sincerely for making his birthday so perfect.

~#~

The trip around Diagon Alley passed in a whirl of activity, Tom efficiently leading them through getting their school books, potion supplies, stationary, telescopes and so on. When it came to robe fittings Harry was pleased to see he wasn't the only one there and was soon outfitted with a complete set of Hogwarts uniforms, all charmed to expand over the school year.

It was in Madam Malkins that he met a young blonde boy, also getting his first year robes, they had a slightly stilted conversation about the school houses where the blonde announced he was sure to be in Slytherin, but Harry had become tongue tied with nerves and had managed little beyond the correct greetings and manners. He hoped to meet the other boy again and make up for his gaffe.

On the way out of Madam Malkins he was nearly trampled by what appeared to be an entire herd of noisy redheads, one of which was whining loudly about second hand robes and didn't even pause to apologise for sending Harry flying.

"Sorry kid." one of the older redheads helped him up and dusted him down. "Ron doesn't think very clearly or look where he's going when he's upset, are you ok?"

At Harry's mute nod, the young man nodded his own thanks and turned to jog after his family, berating his younger brother soundly for his lack of manners.

Once all the necessities were gathered Tom took Harry into the Eeylops Owl Emporium to choose a pet to take to school. Despite the name of the shop the place actually sold many types of magical creatures to act as familiars or mail birds. After wandering around for what seemed like hours Harry stopped and looked up at Tom in wonder.

"I...I can choose anything?" he asked, voice trembling slightly.

"Well, you can have an owl, toad or cat to take to school with you but if anything else has caught your eye then I'm sure Millie won't mind if I look after it for you during the school year" Tom said kindly.

"I...I really like her" Harry said, pointing to a beautiful snowy owl.

"Well then, let's get her. No, no... Put your money away, she'll be your birthday present." Tom smiled at his young charge.

As they were walking up to the register to point out the owl they wanted and buy the perch, bowls and treats for her, Harry was distracted by a bundle of black and grey fluff. A Kneazle kitten had somehow gotten out of the pen and was sitting in the middle of the floor, crying pitifully. Harry picked her up and looked into her enormous blue eyes, his own emerald green ones widening in shock as he realised she only had three legs.

"What... what happened to her?!" he asked in shock that she was hurt so young.

"Whut? Awh crap that one's a mutant - she was born that way. Worth nowt when they're freaky like that, hand her over and I'll get Kenny to drown her out back. Thanks kid." the grouchy store worker said, holding out his hand.

"What?! No!" Harry cried, cuddling the kitten to his chest. "I'll buy her too...I will!"

Tom stepped in, he could see that Harry would never let anyone harm the kitten, and he was also appalled at the callous worker. He knew the owner of the store would never condone such treatment of any of his animals, and would be owling him as soon as they got home.

"Now then, no need for all this fuss" he said smoothly as the member of staff started to threaten Harry. "Since she's obviously 'defective' and you're willing to just drown her, then I think you should be more than happy to give her to this young lad for his birthday? Especially since he's now going to buy a carry basket, food and bowls for her from here."

The surly show worker looked Tom in the eye and backed down gulping at what he saw there.

"Y-yeah, sure... I'm sure she'll make you a good pet kid" he muttered as he rang up the kitten and owl supplies.

Harry was ecstatic as they headed back to the Leaky Cauldron. He had assumed Tom would say he had to choose between his owl or his kitten but now he had both! And Tom was willing to keep one for him during the school year so he could have the other. This was turning out to be officially the best birthday ever!

~#~

Shortly after Harry, Hannah and Tom returned to the pub, a heavily cloaked figure entered Ollivander's Wand Shop. After making sure there were no other customers in the store he turned and warded the door, ensuring no-one could enter until he was done.

Ollivander came through from the back and was surprised when the hooded figure had him bound and forced back out of sight within the blink of an eye. Holding his wand to the elderly wand-maker's throat the mysterious figure rasped out his demands - his voice low and husky.

"You will make sure Harry Potter gets the Brother Wand, the Holly and Phoenix Wand. I know you have it, I know you made it, make sure it goes to the right boy, do you understand Old Man?" he growled.

"He-He's already been... he was chosen by a-a different wand!" Ollivander stammered.

"WHAT!... that's impossible! He won't have received his letter yet! It was only sent out an hour ago! Well, I will have to make sure he needs a new wand as soon as possible, do be a good fellow and make sure no-one else buys that one won't you? Good man... Obliviate!"

~#~

Harry was sitting back after the most extravagant birthday lunch he'd ever seen, never mind eaten, when a large brown owl came swooping into the private dining room they were using. With a hoot it dropped a thick parchment envelope in front of him.

The front was addressed to 'Mr Harry Potter, Rear Guest Suite, Leaky Cauldron' - intrigued he opened it up and read the contents written on equally heavy parchment.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Mr Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

There was another page listing everything that Tom had taken him to buy that morning so he ignored it. The letter itself was folded reverently to be kept in his new trunk, which had a 'keepsake' compartment. Although he had been assured a place at the school through his name and magic the letter made it 'real' for the first time.

He quickly penned a reply and sent it back with the owl, thinking it was rather shoddy of them to expect a reply the same day they sent the letter! What if he had known nothing of the Wizarding world and had taken this as a hoax or some form of scam?

~#~

August 17th had Harry removing his glasses for the last time. His eyes had healed slightly quicker than expected, and apart from a couple days of discomfort he'd had an easy time of it. He was amazed at how the world looked without a clunky black frame around it.

His hair was also now just long enough to tie back thanks to a hair growth potion supplied by Snape who had finally become fed up with Harry sitting in the dining area, reading and pausing at ever increasing intervals to shake his hair out of his eyes. After a week he'd simply walked up and put a small phial on the table.

"Here, drink this. It will cause your hair to grow three to five inches over twenty-four hours. Anything to stop you twitching and shaking and looking through your hair like a sheepdog with a nervous disorder!" he'd barked out, somehow managing to snap, yet sound faintly affectionate at the same time.

He had also had a growth spurt, and several weeks of good food had him starting to look less scrawny overall.

He was just finishing breakfast when an owl flew in and dropped a heavy parchment envelope in front of him. Noting the Gringotts seal, he opened it. Gasping, he handed it to Tom in shock. The elderly innkeeper scowled as he read it and nodded once.

"Right lad, as soon as you've finished eating go change into your best outfit and we'll head up to the bank." he said, for once not smiling though his tone was reassuring. "Not to worry, best it's sorted before school starts anyway"

As Harry headed upstairs, Tom approached Severus who was just finishing up at his usual table.

"Severus, I would like you to accompany us to the bank if possible. I have a feeling the Goblins will wish to contact you anyway, I can't tell you anything more just now but trust me, this is important" Tom said, for once utterly serious.

"Of course" Snape replied, he knew that if his old friend was asking like this then it was indeed a matter of importance and not something he could refuse in good conscience.

~#~

In the bank the small group was ushered straight into Griphook's plush office. Harry curled up in the chair he had used the last time he was here, chewing his lip nervously and watching Professor Snape carefully. The Potions Master had managed to stay at the Leaky Cauldron for the majority of the last few weeks, only returning to Hogwarts for a few days here and there to drop off his purchases and brew a few potions.

As a result Harry had spent a fair amount of time observing the dour man and had started to form a deep respect for his future teacher. No matter what his hidden burden was, he was always polite in his own dry, sarcastic way and Harry often had to hide his desire to laugh when he overheard some of the snarky comments about a variety of the other bar patrons.

Severus, for his own part was very confused. He had no idea why he was needed in a meeting with Tom and his young charge. From what he had seen of the young boy he seemed to be polite and hard working as well as studious and eager to fit in, in his new world.

They weren't kept waiting long though, as Griphook soon entered and was presenting them with his snack trolley, shocking Snape as he had never seen a Goblin smile and offer refreshment to any Wizard before, never mind one as young as Tom's young guest.

"Good, we are all here. Now, young Rowan, are you happy for me to discuss everything with Professor Snape? As we said in the letter the audit of your accounts is complete and we wish to bring your care and accounts to conclusion before you go to Hogwarts in a few short weeks."

Harry nodded his consent, twisting his hands in the edge of his robes, staring at the floor though his eyes kept flicking up to watch the adult's reactions. He was anxious to see how they would react and afraid of the potential rejection from the severe Potions Professor.

"Professor Snape, before we begin I would like to ask you to vow that no matter what is revealed here today, you will stay until released by myself. You may of course ask to leave at any time but I ask that you promise to not simply leave with no warning." Griphook asked the shocked looking Severus, his tone serious.

"Very well, I give my word" Severus replied, an eyebrow raised as he looked Harry over.

"Thank you Professor." Griphook gave a slight bow before turning to the nervous boy and removing the glamour with a few waves of his hands. "May I present my Client, Master Harold Rowan James Potter, Heir to the Ancient and Noble House of Potter."

Severus managed to go even more pale than his usual milky shade, his long fingers threatened to crush the coffee cup he held as he took in Harry's now dark hair, more vibrant eyes, and of course the legendary scar. However he could also still see the shy boy he had been observing all summer and those green eyes were tearing into his soul with their deep expression of mixed fear and hope.

"So Rowan James is your name... to a degree" Snape drawled. "I suppose I can understand the subversion... what I do not understand is why you need my presence here today?"

"There is the matter of Lord and Lady Potter's Last Will and Testament. There are... discrepancies that have only just been picked up on with Master Harry's entrance to the Wizarding world. Here is the relevant section for you to read yourself" Griphook replied, handing over a certified copy of the relevant part of the will.

'In regards to the care of our son Harold Rowan James Potter and any other children born after him.

If I die before my wife then he shall remain in her care at least until he reaches his Majority. If we both pass before he is of age, then we wish for him to be in the care of his Godfather, Sirius Orion Black.

On the advice of our long-time friend and lawyer, the honourable Humphrey Mandrel, in light of Sirius' line of work in the Auror Corps we will also stipulate further carers we trust with our precious boy.

His Godmother, Alice Longbottom and her husband Frank.

If willing and able my Great Aunt Millicent Potter-Prewitt

My Cousin Twice Removed - Piers Beauclerc, Bordeaux, France

If none of these are available or able to care for Harry then approach Severus Snape, Potions Master, as Trustee and Guardian. I would rather that snake Severus look after my son than those miserable Muggles my Wife is ashamed to call family.

He was once a great and true friend to my wife, Lily Rose Evans Potter, and may be trusted to act for the best despite appearances.

Under no circumstances should our son be left in the care of the Muggles known as Petunia and Vernon Dursley, or in any way under the direct or indirect care of Albus Dumbledore, or due to his influence the House of Weasley, House of Moody or Family Tonks.

The Dursleys are Magic Haters and pose a great risk to any magical child; their own son should be screened at five years of age for his own safety. Dumbledore is a great Wizard but cannot be trusted to provide a secure childhood, he has too many plans in motion for us to trust him with our child with anything more than his education.'

Severus closed his eyes and rubbed the bridge of his nose, holding his emotions back under his usual severe mask even as his eyes softened when he looked up at the Potter Heir. He had a feeling that there would be many times he would regret the decision he was about to make, but there was no other choice. He had betrayed his first and best friend once, he couldn't let her down again now, not in something as important as this.

"So as I understand it, I am now Potter's Guardian, and should have been for the last ten years?" he asked Griphook, his voice even and melodic.

"Yes" the Goblin nodded, his respect rising as he saw the Wizard before him calmly accept his responsibility. "I can assure you that our audit has been most thorough and charges are being processed through the Goblin Courts against those involved, primarily Albus Dumbledore, for deliberate subversion of a client's Last Will and Testament.

Although Master Potter would have initially been placed with Mrs Longbottom, by the end of the War the only approved guardians available were yourself and M'sieur Beauclerc. We contacted him and he is unfortunately most unsuitable as a guardian and from what I can tell was just as unsuitable ten years ago. He favours the gambling and drinking venues and is very much the 'man about town' I believe you humans call them."

"Very well, as long as Mr Potter agrees then I will accept and be his active Guardian at least on trial, if this situation proves unbearable to either one of us within the course of the year then we shall review whether he wishes to seek a more... kindly... Guardian and for myself to simply be his Trustee." Snape offered, leaving the child an escape clause should he desire it. He was well aware that he was not the ideal father figure according to most children.

Harry gave him a disbelieving look before smiling shyly. He could hardly believe that the tall Wizard was willing to take him in. It was simply the most 'wanted' he'd ever felt by anyone other than Tom, and it made him feel warm inside. Strangely, he found the Potion Professor's stern demeanour less uncomfortable than the overly friendly approach he received from Millie and Jeremy initially.

They had found it very difficult to understand when he flinched away from contact and preferred to spend his time alone. It was two or three weeks before they stopped approaching him to join in almost all events that were available. He had spent so much time studying in part just to avoid people, as he still felt uncomfortable when surrounded - it was the one thing he was dreading about going away to school.

"Well then, since everyone is happy with the arrangement, at least for the time being, I will simply arrange a convenient time with yourself Professor Snape, as we will have to review the Potter accounts, lands and your stipend as his Guardian as well as the yearly care allowance available for him. If you will just sign here, here and here... thank you, and a drop of blood here... very good. You are now Magically and Legally the Guardian and Trustee of one Harold Rowan James Potter. If desired he may also use the surname 'Snape' until his majority and it will be legally recognised. Is there anything else I can help you with just now?" Griphook carefully put all the paperwork in a heavily warded folder.

Tom had sat quietly through the meeting, simply watching. He was happy to see the warmth enter Severus' eyes and the shy smile appear on Harry's lips. He had an intuition about 'his' boys, and thought this pair would help each other heal in ways no-one else could. He had been trying to get Severus to take on one of the various children in need or mentor a Muggle-born for years, but had never had any luck. The unhappy man had closed himself off and had changed so much since his teenage years.

As they left the Bank and headed back to the Inn, Tom smiled as he saw the protective way the Professor walked beside his new charge, once again glamoured for privacy until it was time for school.

~#~

The following day found Severus and Harry in one of the smaller private dining rooms, surrounded by Harry's books, notes, note pads and parchment.

It was almost lunchtime and Severus had been going over his ward's knowledge, reviewing which books he had read, which he had skimmed and which had not been touched and he was just realising that there was one glaring gap in Harry's teachings.

"So no-one has thought to teach you how to use a quill?" he asked, rubbing his temple as he bit back a sarcastic comment.

"No Sir" Harry whispered, cheeks reddened in shame as he realised his guardian was holding his temper in check.

"No, no it's not your fault. It's too much to ask that the School actually suggest the Muggle-born or raised students learn over the summer, and why Tom didn't think to mention it I'll never know!" Snape bit out. "Oh well, as long as you are not a total imbecile we can get the basics drilled into you by September 1st. First you take your unfinished quill like so, take the quill knife and slice the tip like this... no!... not like... there yes... and strip the feather back a touch for a comfortable grip... and you can bind some string or ribbon around the shaft if it's too thin... good..."

Snape felt a strange sense of peace wash over him as he taught the young boy before him how to sharpen and customise his quill and went on to basic inking and writing techniques. Of course the first several sheets of parchment were beyond redemption, and Severus had to choke back his temper forcefully with only the odd sarcastic aside.

Two dark heads remained bent over their task until well into the afternoon and they suddenly realised that they had missed lunch when Harry's stomach let the fact be known with a most disgruntled gurgle. Harry was mortified and flinched violently when Severus looked at him with narrowed eyes.

"Oh good grief, look at the time!" his Guardian exclaimed. "It's no wonder that your innards are attempting to digest you out of revenge! We're a good three hours over due our lunch! Well, I think you have tortured the poor innocent parchment enough with your violent chicken scratches for one day. We shall retire for food and move on to more enjoyable pursuits for the rest of the day. I do believe you have progressed enough to earn a reward - perhaps you would enjoy learning Chess?"

"Umn... I've never played chess before Sir... b-but if you'd teach me I'd... I'd like that" Harry replied.

Severus frowned slightly as he followed the boy through to the main dining area, where they sat at the secluded table and ordered a rich meal of shepherd's pie and vegetables. Harry was still very quiet and shy around him, which in one respect was still to be expected, but he also hoped that their tentative meetings over the last few weeks would have allowed the boy to be more comfortable.

With luck the remaining days before term would provide enough time for them to form the beginnings of a good foundation at least. He could only hope the child wouldn't be a dratted Gryffindor this time next month, he couldn't bear it if he was.

~#~

The last few days flew by. Severus had to return to the school four days before the start of the new school year so he could attend staff meetings and prepare his classroom, but he managed to tutor Harry thoroughly in preparation before he had to go. He also made sure that his ward had a much more extensive wardrobe than just his school robes, and at almost the last minute even managed to reduce the child to abject tears.

"Harry" He said, kneeling before the boy. "Before I leave in a couple of days, I have a suggestion. I know that Tom and Millie have offered to keep Hedwig or Karishma here for you. Well, how about I take one to school for you? That way you can see them almost every day but officially still follow the rules?"

"Really? You'd do that for me?!" Harry gasped, clutching Kari to his chest as she mewled her objection. "Thank you so much Sir"

After much thought he'd decided to send Karishma with his Guardian as Kneazles were notoriously fickle and it would be easy for him to 'adopt' the kitten once at school, Hedwig - his stunning Snowy Owl - was far too noticeable during the mail run for them to try sharing her and nobody notice.

Severus had explained early on that they would have to keep their relationship secret at school. There were many factions that could find fault with him being guardian to 'The-Boy-Who-Lived', and would attempt to take Harry away, and they suspected that the Headmaster would be one of them. After all, he had circumvented the Potter's Will already and although he had claimed when interviewed that he had only done so 'for the greater good', it had yet to go to trial. Goblin Courts were held rarely and only after all evidence was collected and verified, so it could still be months or even a couple of years before this case went to trial.

Harry had agreed readily enough. He was not willing to do anything that would jeopardise his new family. Severus had promised to work with Griphook to find a way for them to spend holidays together with Harry under his disguise as 'Rowan James', and Snape would simply make time when possible at school if any issues arose during term.

Tom had watched, using a silencing charm to hide his chuckles, as Severus and Harry looked into Harry's Family Grimoire. Severus had decided that Harry should know about his family history if he was to survive in a school full of arrogant purebloods.

The young Wizard had been horrified to see that most of his relatives had died young, many under thirty-five even! And almost without exception those that died so young were in Gryffindor House when attending Hogwarts. Well, apart from Kennyth Potter, but the Black Death wasn't picky and there were a few child illnesses and accidents here and there.

He did notice that for the most part the Potters were split between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff - renowned for their loyalty in some form, a smattering of Ravenclaws showed up regularly, but it had been many generations since the last Slytherin Potter had attended Hogwarts. However it was remarkable how many Potters had married Slytherins so it was obvious that they didn't disdain the House of Snakes.

~#~

Harry was more withdrawn than usual when it came to Severus actually leaving, and nothing Tom or Hannah could do could coax him from his room. What made it worse for him was the absence of his beloved Kari. He had already become used to the kitten sleeping on his bed, chasing after his toes and chewing his ears in the morning when she decided it was time for breakfast.

He spent the last four days before heading off for school with Hedwig, whispering with her about his hopes and fears, burying his face in her soft feathers whenever he felt overwhelmed. Her soft calls were calming, and she had taken to nibbling and grooming his hair.

With Tom, he also revealed his true identity and appearance to Jeremy and Hannah, apologising for the subterfuge. They took it remarkably well and continued to treat him as they had when he was 'Rowan', for which he was very grateful.

There was growing worry and gossip about 'Harry Potter' being 'missing' since he hadn't been seen buying his school supplies.

'Hopefully things would calm down soon' He thought as he finalised his packing.

~#~

Tom helped Harry and Hannah floo through to Platform 9 3/4 and find compartments on the train. The young boy stared in awe as they arrived on the platform and Hannah quickly found some friends from primary school. The Hogwarts Express looked like a relic from a bygone era, a gleaming steam engine in red and black livery with matching carriages that all looked like they came direct from a Victorian painting. Once again Harry was reminded of the Wizarding world's odd mix of Medieval and Industrial Revolution in both their mind set and their technologies.

In his carriage Harry settled into an empty seat and pulled out one of his school books to continue his class preparation. He had also realised that other people would generally ignore him if he looked to be engrossed in a book and he could observe without being observed in return.

This was it, he was on the train and he could hear the whistle signifying their departure. He was on his way!

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2873