The Fox in the Briar Patch by Rebelkitty84
Summary: Harry runs away from the Dursleys just before he turns 11 and finds out about the Wizarding world before attending Hogwarts. With a new Guardian and a more cynical outlook what changes will happen?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Neville, Original Character, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Character Bashing, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 47986 Read: 20226 Published: 11 Nov 2012 Updated: 25 Mar 2013
The Express and Sorting by Rebelkitty84

The train had only just set out from the station when Harry's compartment door opened and a flushed red-headed boy looked in, taking in the empty seats.

 

"Oi, mate, you don't mind if I sit in here do you? Everywhere else is full," he stated more than asked.

 

Harry just shrugged and went back to his book. He really couldn't care who was there, and he planned on ignoring the other boy anyway. As such, he paid no attention as the red-head huffed and puffed and grunted as he struggled with his school trunk, dragging it in the most ungainly way.

 

Turning the page in his book, Harry snorted internally at all the drama. He assumed this boy must be Muggle-born as he hadn't had his parents cast a Feather-Light charm on the chest or shrink it to pocket size. Thus he was highly surprised to see the other boy pull out a Quidditch magazine.

 

Unfortunately, his cabin-mate saw his surprised look and took the opportunity to launch into conversation, leaving Harry with nothing to do but join in for the sake of basic manners.

 

"Alright mate? Who do you thinks' got a chance this year then? I favour Chudley Cannons myself. Oh, Ron, Ron Weasley by the way," the red-head said, offering a slightly sticky hand in greeting.

 

"I... ah... don't know about Quidditch," Harry lied as convincingly as he could. He, Griphook and Tom had discussed it in depth and decided it was best if Harry appeared to be a reasonably clueless Muggle-raised Wizard as was expected of him. "I'm Harry, Harry Potter."

 

He resisted rolling his eyes as Ron nearly swallowed his tongue at this revelation. Gently taking his hand back he picked his book up again, hoping to get back to his studies, but of course this was not meant to be.

 

"So is it real? Did you do it? Kill You-Know-Who I mean?" the red-head babbled. "It must be so cool being famous - do you get loads of free stuff? Can I see the scar? Is it really gruesome?"

 

By this point Harry was resisting just getting up and leaving the compartment to escape the barrage of invasive questions. As it was, he just stayed quiet and hoped the other boy would calm down soon. Sighing, he parted his hair to show the lightning bolt scar.

 

"I-I don't remember anything about it, don't know much about it at all really. Did you grow up in a Wizarding house? What was that like?"

 

Ron stared at Harry in amazement; he couldn't understand why the 'Boy-Who-Lived' would be interested in boring things like that, surely there would be far more exciting tales of adventures, or strange tales of life among the Muggles. However he decided to play along, since his mum had told him that he had to befriend Harry no matter what, and make a good impression.

 

Harry was happier for a short while. He managed to get Ron talking about de-gnoming the garden and extolling the wonders of Quidditch and Wizard's Chess. Once the larger boy was set off on a topic he enjoyed, it allowed Harry to once more retreat and observe, to try and learn about his traveling companion without actually needing to interact.

 

After what seemed like an eternity, there was a knock at the door and the snack trolley arrived, pushed by a kindly older woman. Harry soon bought a wide selection as the sweets were all very cheap. It only cost two galleons for one or two of everything on the cart. Seeing that Ron had only managed to buy a solitary Cauldron Cake, Harry decided to be generous and offered to share his stash.

 

Over the course of the journey so far he had noticed that the red-head had clean but very well worn clothes that were neatly but frequently repaired. His shoes and outer robes were new, so it was obvious that he didn't come from abject poverty but was not well off either.

 

"Hey, Ron? It seems I got the exchange rate wrong... would you like to help me eat this lot?" Harry offered shyly.

 

Despite finding it hard to trust and not being too sure about this boy, Harry was eager to make friends through his school experience. He had taken a few days to warm to Hannah but now a definite, if tentative, friendship was forming with her and he liked the feeling.

 

However, that feeling of generosity was soon fading as the other boy started to grab the better sweets for himself and trying to get Harry to eat the Every Flavour Beans. The way Ron guzzled the chocolate snacks reminded Harry unpleasantly of Dudley. Just as he was thinking again of leaving the carriage to 'find the loo' or some other such excuse they were interrupted by a knock and the door opening as a bushy-haired girl and a nervous looking boy came in.

 

"Oh hello!" the girl said, very energetically. "I was just wondering if you had seen a toad at all, Neville lost his you see."

 

Harry and Ron shook their heads apologetically.

 

"You really ought to keep it in a case or cage, mate, if you can't trust it not to run off." Ron offered.

 

"We've had the door shut, I can...umm... help you look?" Harry offered shyly. Anything to get away from the red-head at this point. "What does it look like?"

 

"Oh thanks!" the nervous looking boy behind the girl replied. "He's called Trevor and he's brown with yellow splodges on his belly and legs and really big yellow eyes."

 

As the outgoing girl and nervous boy continued to search the passenger compartments, Harry went to search the kitchens, slipping past the snack cart lady and the porter, where he soon found Trevor munching away happily on a large piece of 'Cockroach-Clusters'. Scooping him up, Harry presented him to an ecstatic Neville who immediately checked his pet over for any hint of injury. Seeing that he was healthy, he popped him back into his carry tank and made sure the lid was on securely, fastening some string around where a catch had broken earlier and let him out before.

 

"Would...would you like to stay here for a little while?" Harry offered shyly, he was drawn to the equally awkward seeming brown haired boy - Neville, and the girl seemed insecure under her brash attitude. "I think I might... have some sweets left."

 

Harry looked at the sea of empty wrappers where Ron had obviously continued to help himself while Harry was out on the Trevor-hunting mission. With a sigh he swept the empty wrappers into a bag and stashed them to one side, offering the remaining sweets to his two guests. After they had each taken something they all sat down to talk.

 

"I'm Harry. Are you excited about going to Hogwarts?" he asked, smiling nervously.

 

"I'm Hermione, Hermione Granger," the bushy haired girl replied, shaking his hand briskly. "I've read all our course books so many times I'm sure I've memorised them. Oh, and I practised some of the spells until I got a letter from the Ministry of Magic about that being illegal! That was so scary! But no-one told me and I didn't know as I'm the first Witch in our family that anyone knows of... but then I was reading about the Statute of Secrecy so maybe there were others but they couldn't tell us? Anyway...," she trailed off, flushing.

 

"Umm... I'm Neville, Neville Longbottom," the nervous boy said in the awkward silence. "I'm Heir to the Ancient House of Longbottom but my family thought I was a Squib so I haven't really looked at the books much. I'm looking forward to Herbology though. I ... ah ... really like plants."

 

Harry smiled slightly, though it was a little forced. He found Hermione overwhelming, but he could also read her body language quite clearly and it just screamed how nervous she really was. Screwing up his courage, he pushed forward rather than just observing. He was drawn to her for some reason he didn't understand.

 

"I know, when you're not used to the Wizarding world it's so exciting but scary. No-one shows up to tell you about it so you just find out what you can, don't you? I read all my books too and I got some about Wizarding culture and traditions. A friend recommended them to me," he said, eyes lit up with sincerity.

 

"I know!" Hermione replied, calming down a little as she realised he was a kindred soul. "I got something like twenty letters telling me about Hogwarts in January on my birthday and just after. It wasn't until Professor Sprout - she'll be one of our teachers - came to see me and my parents that they would believe that it wasn't a hoax. I mean, sure, I'd had some weird things happen around me but we didn't realise it was magic. It just didn't seem likely, we thought magic was make-believe!"

 

The two pureblood children winced at the idea of anyone believing magic was imaginary. They could no more understand that viewpoint than the Muggle-raised could understand why the Wizarding children were baffled by electricity.

 

"They don't tell you anything about the Wizarding world?! How do they expect you to cope?" Neville looked shocked.

 

"I think they just expect us to pick it up as we go along, it's all very silly and very disorganised," Hermione sniffed. "Harry, may I look at your books on customs and traditions later? It would be ever so helpful."

 

"Sure," he nodded.

 

"Which House do you think you'll go in?" Hermione asked excitedly, "I'm hoping for Gryffindor - according to 'Hogwarts: A History' that's the House that gave the world some of its greatest Wizards and Witches like Headmaster Dumbledore and Barabbas Trimble, the Wizard who created the vaccination for Dragon Pox!"

 

Neville blushed, knuckles turning white as he gripped Trevor's tank. "My-my Gran wants me to go in Gryffindor too; it's the House my p-parents were in. T-they'd be proud, she said. If-if they knew," he stuttered out shyly. 

 

"I'll be Gryffindor!" Ron put in, not paying any attention to the fact he had been ignored up until this point. "Weasleys are always in Gryffindor, Lions through and through - that's us! You'd be best sticking with me, mate, I'll see you right."

 

Harry snorted; folding his book closed carefully and placed it to one side, smiling slightly before he spoke.

 

"Looks like I'm the odd one out then. I want to go anywhere but Gryffindor, I looked up my family history over the summer and virtually none of my ancestors that were also in Gryffindor got past the age of thirty, maybe thirty-five. I want to get to at least middle-aged which according to my research on Wizard and Witches is between eighty and a hundred and fifteen," he smiled at a nervous looking Neville. "What do you think your Gran would prefer? A brave-but-dead Gryffindor grandson or a sensible, loyal, hardworking and alive Hufflepuff grandson with umpty-odd children?"

 

This made both Hermione and Neville look thoughtful; they hadn't really thought about it from that point of view. Hermione had to admit most of the 'Famous Gryffindors' she had read about had died young, heroic deaths and Neville couldn't help but think of his parents on the Spell Damage ward in St. Mungos. However, Harry's little speech had a much different effect on Ron.

 

"Why you dirty little creep! Did you just say that being Gryffindor is a bad thing?! I'll show you! I bet you're a slimy, sneaky, cowardly Slytherin... going 'round and telling lies!" the red-head bellowed, launching himself at the smaller boy.

 

Harry managed to roll out of the way of the first lunge but caught a glancing blow to his cheek as he got to his feet. He managed to shove the larger boy back and was raising his own fists, not sure how to defend himself when he saw the wand in the other boy's hands, when a flash of light briefly blinded him and Ron fell backwards with a yelp. Turning, Harry saw the blonde boy from the robe shop step into the compartment.

 

"How like a Gryffindor," he sneered. "Attacking a weaker opponent without thought. Look at you, second hand clothes, red hair, jumping in to the fray without thought? Must be a Weasley."

 

"I-I know you, you're Malfoy, son of a murderer! You're death eating scum!" Ron spat out, raising his wand.

 

Harry just backed off; he didn't want to get involved in a fight, especially not with magic since he barely knew any spells yet. He stood back against the wall of the compartment, slightly crouched and wishing as hard as he could that they would just stop, that the red headed boy would just leave them alone!

 

When no-one in the apartment made any move to help the Weasley boy, Draco smirked before standing to one side and gesturing gallantly.

 

"It would seem you are the unwelcome one, Weasley, I think you should leave before you make more of a fool of yourself," the blonde sneered.

 

Ron stormed out of the compartment, flushed and indignant - muttering about 'getting them back' and something about the 'twins'. Hermione was looking at Draco with a mix of awe at his skill and disgust at his snotty attitude. So far he had been no better than the red-headed prat that just left.

 

"I heard Harry Potter was on the train, thought I'd introduce myself. Malfoy, Draco Malfoy, pleased to meet you," Draco held his hand out to Harry, his eyes flickering briefly to his scar.

 

"The pleasure's mine Master Malfoy," Harry replied, shaking his hand politely. "May I introduce my travelling companions? Master Neville Longbottom, Heir to the Ancient House of Longbottom and Miss Hermione Granger. We were just discussing which Houses we thought we may end up in."

 

"Really?" Draco drawled. "May I join you?" At their affirmative nods he sat opposite Harry and Hermione and indicated for one of the others to continue.

 

"Well...," Harry said, once again quite shy with the attention on him. "I was just saying I don't mind any House other than Gryffindor - bravery is fine but foolishness will just end my family line and serve no-one in the long run. From what I've read I think I'll be in Ravenclaw or Slytherin. I'm hard-working enough for Hufflepuff but I don't work well in a team, I don't trust easily enough." he blushed, not used to being so open.

 

"I say!" Draco exclaimed. "You have thought this through! Of course, I will be in Slytherin. All Malfoys that have attended Hogwarts in the last four-hundred years have been in Salazar's House."

 

He looked at Neville and Hermione, raising an eyebrow in question. It almost made Harry burst out laughing; it was so much like Severus that he wondered if it was a trick taught to all Slytherins and those expecting to go into that House.

 

"I... I was hoping to go into Gryffindor, it was expected of me," Neville said, confidence growing as he wasn't ridiculed. "But thinking about it I think my best place would be in Hufflepuff, I'm all about being in a team and hard work."

 

"I think I'll be in Ravenclaw. I really like to study and if Gryffindors are like that boy," Hermione shuddered. "I don't think I would get any studying done!"

 

Draco had to bite back a couple of retorts, his father had told him to try and make friends with Potter and anyone that 'The-Boy-Who-Lived' seemed partial too. If that meant holding his tongue and being polite he would try, at least for now. Also, their arguments seemed sound and he supposed some children had to end up in Hufflepuff somehow.

 

They passed the rest of the journey in friendly conversation and finding out more about each other. Draco was the only one to notice that Harry barely spoke and held himself very much on the edge of the group, trying desperately to fully join in, but always ready to flee. It sparked his curiosity and he made a mental note to speak to his Godfather at school or write home to Father for advice.

 

~#~

 

In Riddle Manor there was a heavy air, the entire mansion shrouded in an air of gloom and desperation.

 

In the library a tall, lithe, figure searched continuously among the vast collection of books, many were spread across the reading tables or marked with ribbons and scrolls of cramped notes lay among them.

 

Voldemort had spent the last few years since his resurrection desperately searching for a way to find out what had been done to him. He knew that he had been controlled; his actions and memories altered, but had no proof of when or how.

 

If he had retained his original body he may have had a chance, but this new body had no trace of the spell work and there were only the faintest of shadows on his magical core. The bonus was that with the new body he was no longer under the behavioural and compulsion charms so he was able to find a way to try and reverse the damage.

 

Unfortunately, many decades of insanity had taken their toll and his progress was hampered by his tenuous control and fits of rage. Many rooms of the manor and several Death Eaters had suffered the brunt of his bursts of temper, and though he would never admit it to anyone, not even Severus or Lucius, he was scared by this lack of control over himself.

 

Along with the damage to his mental faculties he also suffered from severe emotional stress and anxieties leaving him an insomniac and paranoid, hence the many hours spent in his library. One of the side effects of regaining his sanity was a deep sense of horror and guilt over his years of terrible madness. It was due to these late night wanderings that he finally came across a slim volume, highlighted by a single stray moonbeam one night.

 

"The Magical Mind: A Journey Within"

 

Within the slender book he found the key to everything, a simple elixir that would reveal all that had touched his magic. The hard parts would be collecting the ingredients, brewing compounds that had not been seen for over five-hundred years using only a description and mastering the mental disciplines of the Thakalis of Nepal.

 

Despite it being only mid-afternoon, Voldemort took the book to his private rooms and slid it under his pillow, laying down he made plans until he managed to fall into the first truly restful sleep he had had in over a year, ever since the potions had lost their effectiveness on his new body. He had never felt guilty before and never lost any sleep over his deeds but since his rebirth the memories tore at his very soul.

 

~#~

 

Severus anxiously paced his dungeon suite as he waited for the students to arrive for the year. 

 

He had already discussed how he would have to behave in public with Harry and that he hated his foul tempered and vicious tempered persona that had developed over the last ten years while teaching in the school. Unfortunately, he couldn't change too suddenly, and the impulses were still too strong to totally overcome anyway. He would start attempting to moderate himself but it would be difficult against the compulsions. He still hadn't found the triggers or how the spells were being cast.

 

His preparation for the new school year was done, lesson plans organised and for the first time in over five years he had revamped the course layout for all years. He had a feeling his students would be in for a rather large surprise this year.

 

As usual, he had booked the first Saturday of term with Madam Pomfrey for his First Years and a few of his more 'at risk' students to get a full check-up. He then had several afternoons booked throughout the first half term to get the yearly physical he required for everyone in his house. He was astounded that the only other House to require such a thing was Hufflepuff; he had spent the previous afternoon with both Poppy and Pomona Sprout discussing the schedule to make sure it suited everybody.

 

He had also gained permission from Poppy for Healer Witherhorne to visit, along with the Curse-Breaker she had procured; when they would come would depend on the results of Harry's physical. Severus had made it clear that whatever House his ward was to be placed in he would be getting the same care and attention as his own little Snakes.

 

Harry had been to see his private Healer several times over the course of the summer; unfortunately he hadn't healed as quickly as she had hoped due to the strain his magical core had suffered through in keeping him alive. As such, she was wary about treating the 'shadow' attached to it until he was stronger and had ended up having to wait until after school had started. He still had some weight to gain but his organs were now within normal functioning ranges and he was beginning to grow rapidly. Hopefully, by Christmas they would have reversed almost all the years of damage, by the end of First Year certainly.

 

The glass he held as he paced shattered as he gripped too hard in his anger. He still could not believe that no checks had been performed on the boy. Not even by Muggle authorities. Surely there was some program to monitor adopted children or those in foster care? Especially when a magical child is placed in a non-magical home, though he still thought that was foolishness of the highest degree.

 

Surely a better option would have been a heavy glamour and place him as a Wizarding orphan in a magical home, under an alias of course. That would have kept the secret of his identity for his safety and that of his new family easily enough but also kept him healthy and aware of his world.

 

Snape snarled as he set about cleaning his now injured hand. The old fool had ruined his life and that of an innocent boy, and who knew how many others. The damned coot seemed to mean well but so far not a single plan that Severus had seen had worked out right.

 

By the time all the slivers of glass were removed and the fine cuts healed it was time to go to the final staff meeting before going to the great hall. Snape shook his head and cleared his thought, focusing on the business at hand. Tonight was going to be a long one and he needed to be on top of his game.

 

~#~

 

The children had only just managed to get into their new uniforms and straightened out when the train pulled into Hogsmeade Station. As they got off the train they could see that they were in what looked to be a fairly typical Victorian Highland village, actually somewhat more modern than Diagon Alley but only because it was less crowded and cleaner.

 

There was a very large man up near the front of the train, not far from some carriages in a huge line.

 

"Firs' Years! Firs' Years over 'ere!" he bellowed. "Leave yer bags, they'll be in yer dorms for yer later."

 

Harry followed Draco and the others as they joined the group around the enormous man. He led them along a winding path until they reached the pebble beach at the side of a large loch where several boats were lined up. Once instructed to get in, in groups of four Harry made sure that he got into the same one as Draco, Hermione and Neville and studiously ignored Ron who looked both furious and strangely devastated.

 

"Don't worry about him," Draco sneered. "He just wants to be friends with you for fame and money, he's poor. If he could say he was best friends with 'Harry Potter' then he could stand out and be noticed for a change,"

 

"You're Harry Potter?!" Hermione squeaked. "Of course! Why didn't I realise before?! I read all about you in one of my books... it said..."

 

"All lies!" Harry interrupted sharply; he had read about himself in a couple of books and nearly set fire to the Leaky Cauldron when his anger caused his accidental magic to set one alight.

 

"I was fifteen months old! I didn't do anything! No-one else was there so it's all just guess work. I found out from the Auror's reports all they really know is - I was found in my crib with the bodies of my Mum and Voldemort next to me. I had this stupid wound on my head and was crying for my mummy to 'wake up'!" he gasped, suddenly pale. "I think my Mum protected me somehow. She killed the Dark Lord and I just survived. It's my fault she's dead and she's the hero, not me... I'm just a kid."

 

He was hunched in on himself by the time he had finished talking, eyes flickering between the other occupants of the boat as he shook with nerves. He found it incredibly difficult to speak out still after years of suppressing any reactions. He had read several accounts of his parent's 'heroic sacrifice' over the summer and had convinced himself that it was his fault they had died as they had done so attempting to protect him. 

 

Hermione was horrified by what she had caused and the other two boys were just shocked, they had grown up hearing stories of Harry's 'heroics' and had never thought of it from the other boy's perspective.

 

"I-I'm so sorry, Harry!" Hermione gasped, pale and eyes wide. "I-I didn't think. I hope you'll forgive me, I was so stupid to not even question it."

 

The green eyed boy could only nod slightly, he could see her sincerity and could forgive this once but it had hurt. Tom and Severus had tried to warn him what to expect but it still hurt. It was just so unfair that people considered him a hero and virtually no-one mentioned his parents or saw past this plastic 'ideal' they had built in their heads.

 

Just then they came round a curve in the bank to reveal a huge castle, late medieval in style and fairly forbidding in the early evening gloom.

 

~#~

 

The first years were all crowded together in a large anteroom waiting to enter the Great Hall for Sorting into their new Houses. Everyone had different theories about how they sorted first years, from written tests to tests of magical or physical prowess. A few thought that a spell was cast on each student or that they had to drink a potion that would give the answer.

 

Possibly the most outlandish was Ronald Weasley's idea that you had to fight a troll, which just made Harry snort as he turned to Neville who was shaking in fear.

 

"Fight a troll? How would that sort you? Those that survive go into Hogwarts, those that are seriously maimed go to St. Mungos and those who are dead are posted home?" he muttered, loud enough that several nearby children giggled.

 

It astounded him that no-one knew, surely the pure and half-blooded children would have been told by their parents? Or older siblings? Judging by the smug looks on a few faces he could tell that they did indeed know.

 

"It is perfectly safe," Draco whispered to his new friends. "They simply put a semi-sentient old hat on you that is charmed to pick out your predominant traits and place you into the best House for you."

 

They were prevented from replying by a group of ghosts floating through and shocking many of the children, as well as the appearance of a pinch-faced older Witch in severe green robes. She took them through to the large hall where all the other students were already sitting at four huge tables and the staff were sitting on another table on a raised platform.

 

The stern looking Witch, Professor McGonagall, told them to stay where they were while she went to the front and called them one by one. As they waited the children were distracted by the enchanted ceiling, twinkling above them as a night sky. Harry ignored the opening speeches and the waffling song by the tattered old hat on the stool. Instead he picked out constellations above him and kept a wary eye on the older students and teachers. He was startled out of his reverie when he suddenly heard the actual Sorting start with a call of 'Abbot, Hannah' from the dour Deputy Headmistress.

 

He cheered as the Hat put her into Hufflepuff; she had been hoping for there all summer and he just knew she would fit right in. He also cheered as her best friend Susan Bones joined her. He tuned out again until Hermione was called and she almost skipped to the front of the hall, garnering giggles from the tables of students, she seemed to be arguing with the hat quite fiercely before it gave in with a cry of -

 

"RAVENCLAW!"

 

And she scampered to her new table with a huge smile and a thumbs up to Harry and Neville.

 

Then it was Neville's turn and he made his way up with a worried look on his face before it was hidden by the Hat.

 

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

 

And he was nearly running off to the table of the Badgers before darting back, red faced, to give McGonagall the Hat back and back to his table among much good natured laughter.

 

It was soon Draco's turn and the Hat barely touched his head before he was smiling and heading off to his rightful home after the cry of -

 

"SLYTHERIN"

 

"Knew he'd go there," Ron muttered bitterly. "He's Dark, an evil, slimy git."

 

Harry simply ignored him, his heart hammering as he waited his turn. What if the Hat put him in Gryffindor? Or Hufflepuff? Ok... the Badgers may be alright, he got on well enough with Hannah and Neville. McGonagall seemed as severe and harsh as his Aunt Petunia though, and she'd introduced herself as Head of Gryffindor - they were so noisy and pushy, smothering each new student that joined them. He couldn't bear it if he went there!

 

"Potter, Harry!" she called, a sharp edge making him think she'd already called once. He quickly scooted up to the stool and sat down as the hat covered his eyes.

 

-Oh, what do we have here then?- a strange, clothy, sort of voice asked.

 

"Umm.... hello?" Harry thought he might be going mad.

 

-Oh no, young Master Potter, you are most certainly not going mad. I am the Sorting Hat! Now let's see, you are very brave, plenty of courage to come here after everything. You could do very well in Gryffindor...-

 

"Oh no!" Harry was frantic. "Not there! Anywhere but there! Please!"

 

-No? It was your parent's house you know... very well. You are very loyal and hunger for knowledge so either the Badger or the Raven would welcome you... but no, I think you know where you want to be. It has taken great cunning and resourcefulness to survive as you have, to make it on your own and to control your magic. If you're sure you don't want Gryffindor...-

 

"Quite sure, thank you!"

 

-Well then, better be- "SLYTHERIN" the Hat suddenly bellowed.

 

Harry sighed in relief, carefully taking the Hat off and handing it gently to the stunned looking Professor before going over to sit by Draco. He almost giggled at the stunned silence and the horrified look on the Headmaster's face. He just knew that everyone had expected him to be a Lion and here he was in the house of Snakes.

 

He risked a small smile at Sev and was happy to see the warmth in his Guardian's eyes. He was so busy settling in he missed the rest of the Sorting entirely and only realised something was happening when the Headmaster suddenly went completely insane and said -

 

"Bobbity, Ibbity, Peeble and Snit!"

 

The young green eyed Wizard turned to Draco, utterly baffled, just as food appeared on the table.

 

"Don't look at me, Potter!" the blonde laughed. "I have it on good authority he went completely insane in around 1962, at least that's the last time anyone actually witnessed him making any sense."

 

This made Harry snort as he helped himself to the amazing array of food before him. While he had gained weight and become used to eating during his stay in Diagon Alley he hadn't been used to fare like this. His eyes kept flickering around the room, eyeing both pupils and staff up in a preliminary threat assessment.

 

When his eyes skimmed over the staff again he suddenly felt a fierce, stabbing pain, causing him to gasp and drop his fork, though he waved Draco off . Rubbing his scar, he frowned; that was different. The only teachers he had noticed looking his way were the new defence teacher... Squirrel? Or whatever his name was... and Severus. Shrugging, he finished his meal in near silence before waiting to be taken to his new common room and dorms.

 

~#~

 

It was after dinner in the Hufflepuff common room and Neville looked around with a smile. 

 

Down in the Dungeon levels the 'Badger Set' as it was affectionately known was a cosy space despite its large size. The walls were stone hung with warm tapestries in yellows and browns, while the floor was covered in black and yellow rugs that added to the comfortable  nature of the room. Black sofas and huge yellow beanbags provided plenty of seating and lush pot plants along with large charmed windows prevented the room from feeling like a dungeon.

 

Neville could tell he would feel right at home here and settled on the beanbags with the other first years as Professor Sprout came in to welcome them.

 

"Oh hello and a warm welcome to our new little friends and a welcome back to our older Cubs," she beamed around the gathered children. "Just a short greeting tonight as I'm sure you are all tired and everything is a bit overwhelming for those not used to the School. You are now members of Hufflepuff, the house of the Badgers! We value hard work, team work and honesty. We are a family here and every one of you should be able to count on each other as a brother or sister and on myself as an Auntie if you like. If you have any questions or worries you can go to anyone of the older house members but especially your prefects, Alice Lusby and Jayden Brandon-Hicks, or myself. No matter how small you think it is! Remember, a problem shared is a problem halved!" 

 

Now, Second years and up the Quidditch trials schedule will be on the board next weekend along with notices for the Gardening Club, Games Club, Crafts Club and of course the signup sheet for Mascot Duty. First years, you can sign up for anything except Quidditch, I'm sure everyone will tell you about the clubs.

 

Now come along, it's time for everyone to head to their dorms to settle in and settle down. Yes Mr Cornwallis, even you seventh years. It's been a busy day and I want everyone bright and alert for showing our Baby Cubs around the Castle tomorrow."

 

With that, she clapped her hands and escorted the first years to their new rooms, ensuring everyone found the right beds and their trunks. A few children had enchanted orbs put in place, hovering just below their corn-yellow canopies, to ward off nightmares and the Professor showed them how to stroke the upright of their four-poster bed to light up a glowing guide line that led to the bathroom in case they needed to go in the night so they wouldn't stumble into a dorm-mate's bed or into the common room.

 

Neville couldn't help but smile as he snuggled down into bed, the warm hug from his new Head of House and the softly glowing ball made him feel very safe and loved as he settled in for his first night. He also discovered when he drew his bed curtains closed that the faint ball also played a very quiet lullaby, quickly soothing him to sleep, dreaming of the wonderful plants and magic he would discover here.

 

~#~

 

Hermione was awed by the Ravenclaw common room up in the airy tower.

 

Every inch of wall that wasn't a door or a window displaying the amazing panoramic views was covered in bookcases. A door in the large windows lead out to a caged balcony set up as a music and art studio in the fresh air. Lillian Johnson, the Ravenclaw prefect, explained it was spelled to be weather repellent so it could be used in any weather.

 

Plush chairs and sofas in browns and blues were scattered around the room creating cosy groups for socialising or group study, while an internal balcony provided a 'quiet study area' above.

 

Professor Flitwick soon joined them and was standing on the stairs leading to the balcony so he could be seen easily.

 

"Ah, so many faces, both new and old. I am glad to welcome our new Fledglings to the Nest. As Ravenclaws you are the Seekers of Knowledge but take care you are not lost in the wonderful world of books! To ensure you remember us all we shall be having weekly 'quiz shows' and games as well as the study groups and of course the Quidditch team try outs will be soon for second years and up. The Art, Music, Dance and Chess clubs are open to all years and those lower shelves contain all manner of board games.

 

My little Fledglings - if you have any problems please see myself or one of your prefects; I see they have introduced themselves already. I will leave you know to settle in and find your rooms but will be back in an hour to make sure everything is ok for lights out, yes! For all years. First night back is hectic enough and there is no need for studying just yet, Miss Donahue."

 

As Hermione settled down in her blue and brown four-poster she was almost shaking with excitement - all that beautiful knowledge out there for her to start exploring! Tomorrow couldn't come soon enough.

 

~#~

 

Back down in the dungeons Harry stuck by Draco as they followed the Slytherin prefects to their own common room.

 

Inside was decorated as a Gothic masterpiece crossed with a comfortable lounge. Heavy carved pillars divided the walls into segments that held either doorways, cupboards, plush wall hangings in green, black and silver or bookshelves. One side of the room held a duelling platform which one of the prefects said was automatically warded to prevent stray spell-fire. The rest of the room was filled with thick dark green carpets covered in black sofas and green chairs. The ceiling had a charmed pane looking out into the lake.

 

Professor Snape came in, his robes swirling dramatically behind him, as he welcomed his new students.

 

"Welcome back to my previous students and greetings to you, my new Snakes," he drawled, looking over them carefully. "You are now members of the proud and noble house of Slytherin. As you may know, others in this school often distrust us, look down on us and suspect us with no reason or evidence. Because of this, the first and most important rule in my House is - this House is your family! Outside these rooms you stick together, back each other up and watch each other's backs. Never argue or fight in public, no matter what differences you have in here, out there we are united.

 

"I have an announcement to make regarding that: I am sick and tired of our house being vilified for no good reason. The desire to lead is not a crime and we are no more separate than Ravenclaw. However, to strengthen our position within the school and place fewer...restrictions... on some of our graduating students in the future, I will be starting some projects with you over the coming months to foster relationships outside our House.

 

"As usual the Quidditch trials are open to second years and above, but coaching sessions for all years will be starting October. The Duelling club is open to years four and above but will only run when I am available to supervise, as before. The Games, Art, Music and Crafts clubs are open to all years and are run by the sixth years.

 

"First years with me, let's get you settled into your dorms. I trust the rest of you can prove to be sentient beings rather than complete dunderheads and be in your own rooms within the next two hours? Good." he nodded as he lead the first years to their dorms.

 

He soon had them by their assigned beds, showed them their bathrooms and where the dorm rules were posted. Like the Hufflepuffs, they had the guide lights that could be activated by stroking a certain part of their four poster, in their case a carving of a snake, which would lead them to the bathroom after lights out. Once everyone was in their nightwear, Severus did a bed check to make sure they were all ok and to provide the gently glowing orbs for anyone feeling the pressure of being underground or just lonely and scared on their first night.

 

He had made sure Harry and Draco were next to each other and Harry was in a corner so he felt as secure as possible. As he gave his ward an orb he also cast a quick spell, explaining as he did so.

 

"This spell is a protective ward, like a curtain, around your bed. It will emit a chime if anyone other than you tries to open your curtains or get in your bed. It will also alert me in case you need me. Otherwise, the prefects showed you all my office on the way down here, if you need anything - day or night - come find me there. It leads through to my private quarters so I will hear you. Is everything alright?" the severe Potions Master asked.

 

"Yes Sir," Harry flushed, looking down. "T-thank you, for your help, and - and remembering about the light."

 

Snape sighed; he had managed to get the information out of Harry about his phobia of the dark and was happy to be able to provide at least this for him. It would be a long time before the boy would trust him - or any adult for that matter - but hopefully this was a step forward.

 

With a goodnight to both Harry and his Godson, Snape headed to his own quarters, smiling as he noted the older Slytherins were already heading to bed themselves. They were sensible enough to know the next day would be a long one.

 

A quick flick of his wand as he left the common room set the alerts for wandering students and the morning alarms to make sure his Snakes were all up and alert in time for breakfast. No slovenly dressed or rushing children at the tables in his House.

 

He settled down in his own bed; an early night on the first day was a rule he enforced for himself too. He wondered if Hogwarts knew what had hit it with both Harry Potter and the Malfoy Heir in Slytherin; it looked like the next seven years would be interesting.

 

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2873