He Understands Me by beargirl1393
Summary: Harry can't seem to focus. His teachers blame laziness, but what if it's something else? And why is Severus Snape the only one who notices?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Character Bashing, Neglect
Prompts: He has what?
Challenges: He has what?
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 7074 Read: 42186 Published: 17 Nov 2012 Updated: 04 Jul 2014
A Talk with the Headmaster by beargirl1393
Author's Notes:
Severus and Harry go to ask permission for their excursion. How will he react when he finds out why they're going to the doctor's?

Harry was waiting in front of the Hall doors as Severus emerged from the dungeons. He chuckled, pleased that Harry seemed to have gotten out of yesterday’s depression fairly quickly. He was also pleased he had the forethought to eat before he began his morning brewing. Harry looked like he was restraining himself from running forward and dragging Severus to the Headmaster’s office.

“Morning Professor,” Harry said as Severus approached.

Severus merely nodded and the two walked toward the Headmaster’s office. Harry was still bursting with questions, but he reined them in as he saw other students making their way to the Great Hall. He didn’t want any of them to know what was going on.

“Ice Mice,” Severus said as they reached the gargoyle guarding the Headmaster’s office. Harry nearly fell over in surprise as the gargoyle leaped aside, revealing a spiral staircase. He looked up at Severus with wide eyes.

“It is rather impressive the first time,” Severus said, motioning Harry forwards and following him up the stairs.

Harry raised his hand to knock, but before he could the Headmaster’s cheerful voice called, “Come in.”

Harry entered Dumbledore’s office, wide green eyes darting rapidly around the office, taking in all of the trinkets, the portraits, the books, and the beautiful phoenix that was resting on his perch.

“Ah Harry, Severus, what can I do today my boys?” Dumbledore asked from his place behind his desk. He motioned his two guests to sit in the chairs across from him. Severus and Harry complied before Severus answered.

“I would like your permission to take Mr. Potter to a muggle doctor,” Severus said, looking into the twinkling blue eyes warily. He knew that Dumbledore, like the vast majority of witches and wizards, believed that magic cured all. How would he react when he learned of Harry’s predicament?

“What?” Dumbledore asked, puzzled. “Madame Pomfrey is a capable Mediwitch Severus, and I assure you that if there is anything wrong with Harry she will be able to help him.”

“No she can’t,” Harry interrupted, his voice low and his eyes focusing on the ground. “She heals bodies, but she can’t heal minds. Professor Snape’s doctor friend can help me.”

“Minds? You believe there is something wrong with Harry’s mind?” Dumbledore asked, looking at his Potions Master in confusion. “Severus, I know that you disliked James, but having his child declared mentally unstable…”

“That is not why I wish for him to speak with Doctor Berger,” Severus interrupted. “This has nothing to do with James Potter and everything to do with Harry. I believe he has a mental disorder, one that magical healers are unaware of, and my doctor will be able to prove or disprove that theory.”

Dumbledore looked like he had a question for Severus, but Harry beat him to it.

“Doctor Berger? I know him, kinda,” Harry said, looking up at Severus. “He’s one of the doctors in the practice that Aunt Petunia takes Dudley too.”

“Was he your doctor Harry?” Severus asked, even though he had an idea what Harry’s answer would be. He paused for too long yesterday, when I questioned him about his last doctor’s visit. What else did those people do?

“No,” Harry said, shaking his head, “Freaks don’t need doctors.”

“They called you a freak?” Severus asked, furious. “How did you go to school with no medical records.”

“Uncle Vernon played golf with Dudley’s doctor, Doctor Fowl,” Harry replied, “And one time he took money with him, and came back with papers to take to the school. It said I’d had all the shots and stuff Dudley did.”

Severus just shook his head. “Unbelievable. Did you know about this old man? You always told me he was fine, that he was part of a loving family. Was that a lie, your way to keep your spy complacent?”

Dumbledore looked vaguely ashamed. “Severus, he needed the protection of the blood wards. The Dursleys are his only family. I had Arabella Fig watching him…”

“Mrs. Fig?” Harry asked incredulously. “She never was at the Dursleys. I went to her house when they wanted to go somewhere, like the movies or an amusement park, but she never went to the Dursleys or asked about it. She liked to talk about her cats; that’s all we’d talk about.”

Dumbledore had the grace to look ashamed when Severus glared at him. “It seems I was wrong…”

“That is an understatement Albus,” Severus growled. “It appears I have another matter to discuss with Mr. Potter when we return.”

“Another matter? And Severus, you still have not said why you are requesting permission to take Harry to this muggle doctor.”

“Because a Healer would not be able to diagnose ADHD. It is a muggle disorder, therefore he needs to be examined by a muggle doctor,” Severus said plainly.

“ADHD? I have never heard of that Severus,” Dumbledore said, frowning.

“Very few wizards have, however I am familiar with it,” Severus said, not willing to disclose his personal knowledge of the disorder to Dumbledore.

“And what makes you think that Harry has this disorder? The boy looks perfectly fine,” Dumbledore said, looking from Severus to Harry and back again.

“He has several symptoms that point to the fact he does indeed have ADHD,” Severus said, sighing as he began to relate, “Lack of focus, inability to sit still, impulsiveness, forgetfulness, and incessant chattering.”

Dumbledore frowned as Severus rattled off the same reasons he had given Harry the day before. “My dear boy, surely there would be more proof. Many children are talkative, and many have a hard time sitting still and focusing or remembering things.”

“If he does not have anything wrong, then Karl will say so, however it would be prudent to have him tested regardless,” Severus said. He held up his hand to stop Dumbledore from speaking as he added, “And Harry agrees with me.”

“Harry?” Dumbledore asked, focusing on the younger of his two visitors.

“I read about it before, when I was hiding from Dudley in the library,” Harry said softly, looking out of the window to avoid looking at Dumbledore. He didn’t trust Dumbledore; the man was treating him like his other teachers had. No wonder Professor Snape never told him.

“Albus, the sooner we leave, the sooner we will return. I promise no harm will befall Harry. You know I am able to protect him from any threat, magical or muggle.”

Dumbledore sighed. There was no arguing with Severus when he was like this, and with Harry assisting him… “Alright Severus, you have my permission to take Harry to this muggle doctor. You must have him back by nightfall, and I would like to know what the result of this visit is.”

“That will depend on the boy,” Severus said smoothly, standing and heading for the door, “Doctor/patient confidentiality. Come Harry, we have an appointment to keep.”

Harry got up and swiftly followed his professor out of the Headmaster’s office. He was quiet, thinking about what Severus had said. After I talked about the Dursleys, he said there was another matter we would need to discuss. What does he want to talk about?

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks to everyone who read and reviewed!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2874