He Understands Me by beargirl1393
Summary: Harry can't seem to focus. His teachers blame laziness, but what if it's something else? And why is Severus Snape the only one who notices?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Character Bashing, Neglect
Prompts: He has what?
Challenges: He has what?
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 7074 Read: 42182 Published: 17 Nov 2012 Updated: 04 Jul 2014
The Visit by beargirl1393
Author's Notes:
Slightly fluffy at the end. Also, I didn't go in depth on the particulars of the visit, because I was uncertain what would occur.

The visit went much the way Severus expected it would. Doctor Berger asked both Severus and Harry about his behavior at home and at school, making notes in Harry’s file, which he had just started.

“Never liked that Fowl,” he said, shaking his head at what Severus said. “I found out what he’d done when the lad went to school, but I didn’t have any evidence against him. The papers say the boy had had his physical and shots just like any other child needs, but there was no way to prove that it had never happened.”

“Rest assured that the nurse at the school will see to that,” Severus said smoothly, knowing Madam Pomphrey had a list of magical and muggle vaccines that the students required. After telling her what they had found out, she would be more than willing to ensure that Harry got caught up to where he should be.

“Mm,” Burger said, nodding absently while he looked over his notes. “Why did you not consult her Severus, instead of coming here? You must have started out rather early; isn’t that school you teach at in Scotland?”

“We left yesterday, after classes had ended,” Severus lied swiftly. Muggle transportation was slower than magical, and Burger believed that he hated flying.

“Mm, and I suppose there is no reason for me to ask why young Mr. Potter’s relatives didn’t bring him to see me,” Burger said, shaking his head. “His aunt and uncle seem to be of the same lot as your father.”

Severus stiffened and Harry looked at him curiously. “Perhaps,” was all Severus said, indicating that he would say no more about it.

Conversation swiftly turned back to Harry, and Burger confirmed that he did have ADHD. He suggested medicine, taken in the morning and at night, to help with Harry’s hyperactivity.  Severus declined the latter, as the potion he took could be easily altered to allow Harry to take it as well.

They finally were able to leave at noon, taking with them a prescription for Harry. He had agreed to try the medicine for three months, before coming back for his next appointment. If he didn’t feel any different, or he didn’t like how the medicine made him feel, then they would take him off it. If he felt like it helped him, then he would continue to take it, and they would have regular appointments for Dr. Berger could make sure he wasn’t have any negative reactions to the medicine and that the dosage was right.

“What now?” Harry asked. They’d just left the pharmacy, with instructions to return and pick up Harry’s prescription in an hour.

“Now, I think it is time for lunch,” Severus replied, leading the way to the small café across the street. “And while we are waiting, you can decide what to tell the Headmaster when we return.”

“Do I have to tell him anything?” Harry asked, looking up at Severus uncertainly. “He didn’t even believe you when you said it wasn’t my fault. He was just like all the others.”

“True,” Severus sighed, “But that is because the Headmaster is not as familiar with the muggle world as I am. He believes that magic cures all.”

“So I don’t have to tell him what Dr. Berger said?” Harry asked hopefully, taking a bite of his sandwich.

“You will need to tell him something,” Severus responded dryly, “Otherwise there will be a problem come December when you have to return to the doctor’s, and as soon as someone notices you taking your medicine each morning.”

“Will the others say something?” Harry asked worriedly. He had enough trouble trying to avoid attention being known as the Boy-Who-Lived. He didn’t want to be treated different; he just wanted to be normal.

“Some might question what the medicine is for, and I’m sure the muggleborns would know what ADHD is, as well as most muggle-raised half-bloods, such as myself. The purebloods, however, would most likely have no more understanding than the Headmaster does,” Severus responded. “Others will question why you are spending so much time in the company of the ‘Greasy Git of the Dungeons.”

Harry winced when he heard Severus refer to himself like that. He hadn’t liked it when Ron called him that, being reminded of all the times the Dursleys called him a freak. “How did you know…?”

“That they address me in that manner?” Severus asked, shocking Harry by smirking. “Harry, I can assure you that I have been teaching for quite a while, and your classmates are not the first to address me thus. It is common for students to have nicknames for professors they dislike. I may not like it, and I most certainly will take points for disrespect if anyone dares to call me that to my face, but I understand it.”

“Oh,” Harry said, slightly shocked. He wondered if all the teachers knew the less than complimentary things the students said about them, or if it was just Snape. After all, the man always seemed to know everything.

“There is something else to consider,” Severus said, slightly nervous. He had been considering this particular topic since Harry had mentioned his life with the Dursleys, but he wasn’t sure how to bring it up.

“What?”

“At your appointment today,” Severus said, deciding to work up to his main point, “I was only allowed to make the decisions I did for you as you are technically my responsibility while you are attending Hogwarts. If something were to happen while you were not at school, I would be unable to help you.”

Harry nodded, unsure of what his professor was trying to say.

“From what you have told me,” Severus said, looking out the window of the café rather than at Harry’s wide, inquisitive green eyes, “Your relatives are unfit to care for a goldfish, let alone an eleven year old. They have neglected you, correct?”

Harry bit his bottom lip. “I slept in the cupboard under the stairs, instead of a real room, but I got Dudley’s old clothes to wear, and right before I came to Hogwarts they put me in Dudley’s second bedroom.”

Severus was furious. To think Petunia would treat her own nephew, Lily’s child, in this manner was enough to make him consider visiting Surrey for a talk with the heartless shrew. “What else did they do? Did they ever physically abuse you? When you misbehaved, perhaps?” That had been what his father had done. Severus hadn’t been normal enough for him, even before his powers had fully appeared, so he got the belt.

To his relief, Harry shook his head. “If I was bad, I got sent to my cupboard with no meals. If I did my chores and didn’t do anything freaky, then I got to eat after they were done.” Harry decided not to mention his cousin beating him any chance he got. The Professor looked mad enough to spit fire now, he didn’t want to make it worse.

Severus took a deep breath to calm himself, then sighed. “I was friends with your mother when we were younger, and when she died I promised to protect you. I believed that you were in good hands at your relatives house. In all actuality, I expected you to be a spoiled brat, rather like young Mr. Malfoy.”

Harry snorted. “Yeah right. That was Dudley, sir. I was just a burden to them; they told me that often enough.”

“As I said, I was misinformed,” Severus said, hating the hurt he heard in Harry’s voice. “However, I would like to rectify my past mistake.”

“What do you mean Professor?” Harry asked, slightly confused. He couldn’t be saying what Harry thought he was, could he?

“I would like to become your guardian. It would take time, as I would need to fill out the proper forms and prove that your relatives are unfit, but I would understand if you would prefer someone else…”

Anything else Severus was going to say was cut off as two thin arms snaked around his waist, and a black-haired head was buried in his chest. He smiled slightly as he carded the infinitely messy hair.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thoughts about the guardianship? Since this is AU, Voldemort died for good when he killed Harry's parents. No Horcruxes, and no more spying. Also, Severus is OOC, I know, but he doesn't have any reason to hate Harry in this version, so he can be nicer to him. He'll still be strict, just not malicious.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2874