What Now? by beargirl1393
Summary: Harry defeated Voldemort. He and Snape are both in the infirmary recovering. What will they do now that the wizarding world is once more against them?
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Runaway
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry), 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Bashing, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: No Longer
Challenges: No Longer
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 8782 Read: 30908 Published: 17 Nov 2012 Updated: 02 Jun 2013
Family & Familiars by beargirl1393

“What would you do now that you no longer have to play the hero?” Severus asked, glad to be away from the topic of his past.

“Well, Quidditch is the only thing I’m really good at and like doing,” Harry said thoughtfully, “But I really liked teaching the others in the DA.”

“Quidditch is out if you leave for the muggle world,” Severus said, “But you could always become a teacher. It would be easy enough to falsify records to prove that you went through the muggle school system, but you would have to work hard in the university to obtain the necessary degree. You would also need to decide what subject you would like to teach and what levels.”

Harry nodded. He hadn’t expected Snape to be so helpful, but he would need all the help he could get. “Can I call you Severus? It’s kind of weird calling you Professor Snape if you’re not acting like the dungeon bat.” Once he said that, Harry wished he hadn’t and braced for the worst, but he was surprised when Snape laughed.

“I suppose it would be acceptable, and I will attempt to address you by your given name as well. Do you have any ideas what you would want to teach?”

Harry thought for a moment. “Well, I’m really good art. It was one of my favorite classes in primary school. Also, no matter what my potions grade says, I’m really good at chemistry, so maybe I could go to school to teach that?”

“Or become a research chemist,” Severus said, smirking slightly, “That is where they would look for me, rather than you, if anyone bothers to look.”

Harry laughed a little at that. “I can see you being head of a research team and calling them dunderheads if their experiments fail. What do you plan to do?”

“While obtaining my Mastery, I had to take a rudimentary course of muggle first aid,” Severus said, stretching slightly, “And the course was interesting enough that I kept up with it in my free time. I’m a certified RN, so I will attempt to get a job at a muggle hospital. Previous employment will have to be faked, of course, but my experience is real enough.”

Harry looked shocked at that. “I never would have thought that you would be a doctor, or a nurse either.”

“My bedside manner does leave something to be desired,” Severus admitted, smirking, “But you would be surprised how well I can act.”

“I probably wouldn’t be too surprised,” Harry said, “Considering that you were able to trick Voldemort into thinking you were on his side since I was in nappies.”

“Fair enough,” the Potions Master replied. Both stopped talking as footsteps approached their room.

Madame Pomfrey bustled in, checking Severus’s bandages and running a diagnostic on Harry. Normally, she would chatter away while working on Harry, but she did everything in silence, summoning the needed potions and giving them to her patients. When she left, they began talking again.

“Even Madam Pomfrey acting differently now,” Harry sighed, lying back in the bed.

“Poppy has always treated me with suspicion, even more so after I killed the Headmaster,” Severus said, “This is nothing new.”

“At least you never had her fussing about leaving too early,” Harry said, trying to joke.

“Perhaps,” Severus said, smirking, “I’ve been told she can be quite ferocious where her patients’ welfare is concerned.”

“Didn’t you ever come here as a student? Like when my dad and Padfoot pranked you, or after the Shrieking Shack incident?” Harry asked.

“I was used to healing myself by the time I came here,” Severus said, “And I could find the counter charms for their spells in our schoolbooks.”

“Really? So you’ve never been to the infirmary till now?” Harry asked, incredulous.

“I believe it’s my turn to ask a question, but yes, this is the first time I’ve visited the infirmary for any reason other than checking up on someone or delivering potions,” Severus replied, conjuring a mirror so he could examine his healing wounds. That blasted snake was thorough. I should thank Longbottom for killing it, but he’s apparently as dense as the others. I’m surprised even Lovegood has stayed away. Pulling himself out of his musings, Severus asked, “Has no one attempted to talk to you since the battle?”

Harry shook his head sadly. “No one but you. I thought Hermione and Ron would be storming the Wing first thing, but even after Fred’s funeral no one came. Crap,” he said, realizing something, “Remus  and Tonks are dead. I have to look after Teddy, I promised I would.”

“I assume he would be with Mrs. Tonks for now,” Severus said, looking at the anxious teen. “It would probably be best if you write to her, explaining what is going on. If you wish, you can legally adopt the boy so that others can’t take him from you.”

“Why would they do that?” Harry asked, even though he had a pretty good idea.

“The same reason they are avoiding this ward,” Severus answered, echoing Harry’s thoughts.

“Do you have a quill and some ink?” Harry asked, looking around for parchment. Severus called one of the castle’s house elves, requesting a quill, ink, parchment, and a small lap desk for Harry.

After the elf delivered the materials, Harry wrote his note, explaining everything to Andromedea and asking if she wanted him to take custody of his godson. He wanted to spend time with the little boy anyway, but if she wanted to raise him, he wouldn’t stop her.  Before he could ask how he was going to send it, Severus called for his raven, Belladonna, to carry the letter for Harry.

“How’d you get a raven for a familiar?” Harry asked, settling back against his pillows as the raven flew away. It was getting later and he was tired. It seemed like forever ago that they had started this conversation, yet it had only been two hours.

“I wanted a bird familiar, so that I wouldn’t be dependent on the school owls to send letter, but I didn’t like any of the owls at the Emporium,” Severus said, summoning one of his books from his chambers. “Bella had been there for two years, and she wouldn’t even let the owner handle her. For some reason, she liked me, and she seemed intelligent enough, so I chose her for my new familiar.”

“I’m thinking of getting a new owl,” Harry said, yawning, “But I want to wait a bit longer. Hedwig was my first friend, and I still can’t believe that she’s gone.”

“That’s sensible,” Severus said, “But it might be best if you choose a completely different familiar. A cat perhaps, or simply a different species of owl.” When there was no response, Severus laid down his book and glanced at Harry, smirking as he noticed the raven-haired teen was sleeping. A wave of his wand covered him in a blanket to prevent chill, and Severus smiled as he picked up his book. One never knows what will happen next with Harry Potter.

The End.
End Notes:
I'm undecided on if Harry should adopt Teddy or not. He will have Severus to help him, but he is rather young to be raising a child. Thoughts?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2877