A Better Start by ChockolateBubbles
Summary: Severus finds Harry that night in Godric's Hollow, and instead of being sent to his Aunt's, a different alternative is found.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 4014 Read: 7341 Published: 05 Dec 2012 Updated: 21 Feb 2013
Chapter 2 by ChockolateBubbles
Author's Notes:
Sorry it took so long! hopefully the next one will be up quicker! There's not too much Harry in this chapter, but he will be in the next ones more. Enjoy!!

Previously:

Severus just nodded. The three of them sat in silence for a while, until Severus asked the question that was on everyone's minds. "What's going to happen with Harry?"

Now:

Albus thought about it for a little bit, and then he figured out the perfect person to take Harry in. Now, all he had to do was get him to realize that he was the best option. He was stubborn and didn't like being told what to do.

"I'm not too sure yet. As I recall, Lily did have a sister, maybe she will take him in," Albus said knowing perfectly well what his son would think of that.

"Petunia? She never liked Lily. She was always so jealous of her, she would never take good care of her child," Severus responded unable to believe his dad suggested that. He had complained about her enough for him to know what she was like.

Minerva also couldn't believe her husband's suggestion. She knew where Harry would be the best and that was with her son. She looked over at Albus ready to let her opinion known when she saw the twinkle in his eyes. He looked at her and winked. Then she knew what he was doing.

"True," Albus responded then continued, "Well I'm sure there are many families willing to take him in."

"Dad! You can't just put him with anyone! Most people would either want him for his fame or for the money James and Lily left him."

"How about someone from the order? I'm sure anyone of them would be more than happy to take him in, and none of them would want him for his fame or money."

"You can't just stick hi with anyone, Dad. He needs someone who can love him like their own and give him the attention that he needs and protect him from the danger that he will undoubtedly be put into. But he also needs someone who won't pity him and spoil him and give into his every wish, just because he lost his parents. They need to be compassionate yes, but also someone with a firm hand who would raise him to be a good man," Severus said, shutting down that option also.

"Well then who do you suggest?" Albus asked glad that his son was so opposed to all his suggestions.

"Umm..." Severus said caught off guard, "How about that werewolf, what's his name? Lupin! He was good friends with Lily and James, he definitely would take him." Severus said.

"Yes Remus would be a good choice, but he isn't in a fit state to raise a child. He just lost all three of his best friends in one go. Besides, with his monthly 'problem' no one would allow him to raise a child, and if I know him, he wouldn't want to put a child in 'danger'."

"Yeah I guess you right," Severus responded before thinking some more, "How about the Wesley's, they have had plenty of experience raising kids and they would for sure love him."

"Yes, while I have no doubt that Molly and Arthur would take Harry in and love him as their own, with 7 children, one of which isn't even 3 month old, they wouldn't be able to give Harry the attention that you yourself said he needs."

"Okay," Severus said seeing merit to that point. Then he came up with a solution that he was certain there could be nothing wrong with, "How about you and mom take him in?"

"Yep, I've thought of that one, but while we would love to, we are much too old. We couldn't possibly keep up with a baby anymore," Albus said before thinking 'and I'd much rather have him as a grandson to spoil!'

"We'll I don't know, I guess there's no one good enough to take care of him," Severus said giving up. He usually would never admit defeat, but was just too emotionally drained to think anymore right now.

"Really? You can't think of anyone who would take him in and protect him and love him like their own? Someone who I know for a fact would give him the care and discipline that he needs? Someone with a stable income and people ready and I'm sure willing to babysit anytime? Someone who already seems to have made a connection with him?" Albus asked peering at Severus over his glasses.

"No. No, you can't mean me. I'm not good with children. I'm not patient enough to raise a child," Severus said shaking his head.

"Come on Sev, your perfect for this," Minerva said taking his hand, "I've seen you work for hours at a time on a potion without getting fed up when it doesn't work perfectly. I know you have patience when you want to."

"Yeah but that's potions," Severus said unconvinced.

"Sev, I know you have it in you, if you just put your mind to it I know you can do anything that you want to, child", Minerva said.

When Severus didn't say anything she squeezed his hands and asked, "Just think about it, please?"

Severus looked down at his hand covered by his mothers and nodded. He could think about this, it would also give his parents time to think about how ridiculous this whole idea was.

"Yeah I'll think about this," Severus said verbalizing his thoughts, "If you guys keep thinking about another alternative."

Minerva and Albus shared a look. They both knew that another alternative wouldn't be needed, but in order to get their son to think about it, they both agreed.

Severus squeezed his moms hand once then got up. "If that's everything, I think I'll go brew some," Severus said. Brewing always helped him think.

"Yeah go on, lunch is at 12," his parents said. They then watched him go to the private lab they had set up for him. Well technically it was for all them, but Severus was the only one to really use it.

Once he closed the door, Minerva and Albus looked at each other and smiled. They knew that Sev would do the right thing.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Severus worked over the softly simmering potion, stirring the contraption clockwise, waiting for it to change colour, as he thought about the conversation he had just had with his parents.

He couldn't believe what they had suggested. Him take care of a baby? That was the most absurd suggestion of them all and that included Petunia! He wasn't good with babies, heck he was barely good with the children that he taught. He wasn't patient and he lost his temper more then he should. He was also more of a loner, preferring to be by himself more so then around other people, simply because he did not annoy himself like so many of the daft people that he came into contact with did, with the exception of a select few. The idea that he could successfully raise any child, let alone one who is such a symbol of hope and would constantly be in danger, was as preposterous as him coming across a potion that he could not brew.

His thoughts were abruptly cut off by Harry's crying. He stopped cleaning and rushed out towards his parents room, where Harry was. Half way there he froze. Right then and there he realized that his decision was already made. He would do anything for that little boy in the other room, and as long as his parents helped, he was sure he could get used to this whole parenting thing. That was the moment when Severus finally admitted to himself that he loved the boy, and wanted to take him in and raise him as his own.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

20 minutes later a quieter, clean Harry and a calm Severus entered back into the dining room where Albus and Minerva were doing paper work at the table. Upon hearing their entrance, both looked up.

Severus went and got Harry his sippy cup that one of the house elves had gotten for Harry and put some water in it before handing it to the thirsty toddler. Severus tried to put Harry down, but Harry clung to Severus tighter and refused to be put down.

"Okay I guess you're staying with me," Severus said as he rearranged Harry in his arms and went to go sit at the table by his parents. He sat beside his Mom and across from his Dad, with Harry still clinging to him on his lap.

They all sat in silence, with the only sound coming from Harry drinking his water. Minerva and Albus waited for Severus to break the silence, which he did a little while later.

"This might be totally crazy, but I can't imagine someone else taking care of this little guy," Severus said as he looked down at the little boy who in such a short time had already stolen his heart.

Like Harry knew what was being said, he smiled up at Severus and laid his head down on his shoulder, cuddling up closed to him.

Minerva and Albus smiled at the sight, they were pretty sure what Sev meant, but to make sure, Minerva asked, "So does that mean you are going to adopt him?"

Severus looked up at his parents and vocalized the most important decision that he would ever make, "Yes."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

After that things were pretty much one big blur. Everything happened so fast for Severus. He was able to finally get Harry to sleep through the night without nightmares, and actually strengthened the bond between them so much, that Harry eventually started to call Severus Dad.

There were some slight issues with the adoption process with Severus being a Death Eater, but once Albus cleared that all up, the Ministry of Magic reluctantly allowed Severus to adopt Harry.

So within 5 months, one Severus Tobias Snape-Dumbledore became the adopted father of Harrison James Snape-Potter.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2880