Snape's Marriage by MyDarkGuardian
Summary: Snape, as it turns out, is getting married. And he's marrying.... Bellatrix?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix, Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Character Bashing
Prompts: Bellatrix Snape Black
Challenges: Bellatrix Snape Black
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 7190 Read: 26999 Published: 12 Dec 2012 Updated: 02 Jan 2013
Story Notes:

This is in response to the Bellatrix-Black-Snape challenge! And i know there isnt much Harry and Snape interaction in the first few chapters, but rest assured it will come later! Please review!

1. Prolouge! by MyDarkGuardian

2. A Bad Beginning by MyDarkGuardian

3. Voldemort's Demand by MyDarkGuardian

4. An Argument With Harry by MyDarkGuardian

5. What Snape Reported by MyDarkGuardian

6. The Manor by MyDarkGuardian

7. Memories, Hysterics and Forgotten Things by MyDarkGuardian

8. Defense Against the Dark Arts? by MyDarkGuardian

9. A Talk About Employment by MyDarkGuardian

Prolouge! by MyDarkGuardian

Curses on Dumbledore.

"Do you, Bellatrix Prosperina Black, take this man, Severus Snape, as your lawfully wedded husband?" Bellatrix looked up adoringly into Snape's eyes. Severus had to fight the urge to vomit.

Curses on this infernal spying for Dumbledore. How had he gotten himself into this situation. Oh right, of course. It was the brat's fault.

"I do," she crooned.

Curses on Bellatrix Black-SoonToBeSnape.

"And do you, Severus Tobias Snape, take this woman, Bellatrix Black, to be your lawfully wedded wife?" A second's hesitation.

Curses on this marriage.

"I do."

Curses on Voldemort.

"I now declare you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

And lastly... Curses on Potter!

To be continued...
End Notes:
Well this is just the prolouge. Its confusing, and thats intentional. Whats happening is Snape's marrying Bellatrix. Its also Snape doing the cursing in his mind. Write me a review, I'd love to hear what you have to say!
A Bad Beginning by MyDarkGuardian
Author's Notes:
Ok, so this chapter was up a little while ago, but for some reason it wouldn't appear. Sorry about that.

The clopping of the horse's hooves outside the carriage was the only noise that could be heard on the still night. Bellatrix and Snape sat inside the moving carriage, headed for Rejection Manor, a wedding gift to Severus from Lord Voldemort. Inside the carriage, Bellatrix was kissing Snape passionately.

"I love you," she murmured, running her fingers through his hair. She kissed him over and over, barely coming up for air. Snape fought the urge to be sick as the potion stained fingers on his right hand listlessly rubbed the new ring on his left. He was married. He was a husband. His stomach churned.

This situation was surreal. It was not a situation he had ever wanted, nor had he expected, to be in. He put a hand out to grab her shoulder, but the carriage stopped abruptly and his hand landed on her chest. Somewhere he very much did not want it to be. Bellatrix gave him a sly look and hopped out of the carriage. With a nearly inaudible sigh, Severus followed.

 A house elf popped into the parlor just as they entered.

"If Masters Snapes will follow me, please, i will be showing them around the manor." Bellatrix sneered.

"Show us to the master bedroom, elf." The elf nodded obediently.

"My name, it is being-" The elf began, but Bellatrix pulled out her wand.

"Crucio!" The little elf moaned. "You shall not speak unless spoken to. Your name, you think I care what your name is? You are the house elf, and you shall answer to such." Snape put a hand on Bellatrix's arm.

"Bella." Bellatrix sighed and removed the Crucio.

"Show us to the master bedroom, Elf, and don't make me repeat myself." The little elf trembled and led the way. Once they entered the bedroom the elf left with a sharp pop. Bella looked around the room and cooed. A very large window, stretching from floor to celing, was half covered by large black drapes. The celing was ten feet above them, arching inwards, and an elegant crystal chandelier hung from the very center. The bed was large and elegant, with a canopy of dark velvet surrounding. Two doors were on either side of the bed, one leading to a large closet, the other to a large bathroom with a claw footed tub. Snape crossed over to the window and looked out, to a beautiful view of the manor grounds. It was an impressive place. A soft click caused Snape to turn. Bellatrix had shut the door to the hall. She walked slowly over to Snape, a small smile on her face.

"Best shut those drapes, Severus," She whispered. With a yank, the heavy black curtains concealed the view outside. "Your wife needs you." With a soft laugh, she dragged Severus to the bed. Severus stifled a scream of frustration.

I HATE my job.

To be continued...
Voldemort's Demand by MyDarkGuardian
Author's Notes:
Hey people! Thanks so much for reading so far. Please don't hesitate to constructively criticize! Also, if there's something you'd like to see, go ahead and contact me with your ideas. I'll see if i can fit it in somewhere. Ciao Ciao all, Enjoy!

When Snape awoke the next morning Bellatrix was already gone, to where he didn't know. He stumbled to the bathroom, which was already fully stocked with everything the newlyweds could need. Shampoo, towels, toothbrushes, toothpaste... frankly it was amazing how well Lord Voldemort had had the place prepared. As Snape stepped into the shower he sighed, letting the hot water wash away his irritation, only to have it creep back moments later. How the hell had he gotten into this mess? Why on earth had he thought that this would be a good idea?

'Even for Lily, this is going a bit far, isn't it, Sevvy?'

"NO!" Severus yelled, then growled in irritation. Arguing with the voices inside his head again. He must be going mad. Combine that with the fact that he had married the insufferable Bellatrix Black to protect Potter, well he must be out of his mind, for certain. He closed his eyes and let the hot water stream over his face, thinking back to the very beginning, what had caused all this mess.


A few weeks earlier, at a deatheater meeting

"...And so, my Lord, those are Dumbledore's newest plans. He has not yet told me plans for the future, but those will undoubtedly come in time." Severus stood in the middle of a room, facing Lord Voldemort. He was reporting to Lord Voldemort and the rest of the death eaters Dumbledore's latest plans. Oh the joys of being Dumbledore's spy.

"Very good, Severus," Voldemort hissed, stroking Nagini's flat head as he spoke. "Your information has been most helpful." Severus nodded and took a seat in a chair on the side of the room, along with the other deatheaters. Voldemort rose.

"My most loyal followers," He began, "the time will soon come when Harry Potter is slain, and we once more rule. When this time comes, you will each be rewarded for your efforts. Each of you should aspire to being as Severus, who has been one of my best agents." He sat again, and the deatheaters rose, bowing, then shuffling to leave. Severus rose too, but at Voldemorts word stayed behind.

"You wanted to see me, my lord?" Severus asked.

"Indeed. Over the course of the years you have been extremely useful, Severus. And yet I have given nothing to you in return." Snape immediately raised his guard. When the dark lord spoke this way, trouble was bound to follow.

"My lord, serving you is all the return I desire," Severus murmured. Voldemort smiled wanly.

"Indeed. However, I would like to grant you a gift. You are getting old, as am I. And yet you have no one to stand by your side. Bellatrix Black has shown interest in you. She is nearly as useful as you, Severus. Were you to respond with interest, it would unite two of my most useful followers. I trust you understand." Snape nodded. He understood all too well. Pursue Bellatrix, and gain more of the dark lord's favor. Refuse, and he would cease to become important.

"I shall carefully consider what you have told me." Snape responded.

"Do not tarry too long, Severus. The heart of a woman is fickle." In other words: time is running out. Severus nodded again, bowed, and left the room. He quickly walked out of the house, pulled off his mask and dissapparated into Hogsmead. The mask in his hand was sent to his home on Spinners end before someone saw. Those who stared at him recieved disdainful sneers as the potions master made his way to hogwarts to report to Dumbledore.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I'm sorry if Voldemort was a little out of character... JK didn't really mention deatheater meetings. I tried my best... don't be too harsh on me please! And also, i'm really sorry, this was validated while i was in the middle of this chapter, so to all you who were confused... my mistake, i apologise!
An Argument With Harry by MyDarkGuardian
Author's Notes:
Ok so this chapter kind of bums me out... I had it all written and ready for you guys, but my computer crashed and I lost it all! Redo time! Also, this is still inside Severus's memories!

Snape paced irritably in front of the stone gargoyle that guarded the entrance to the headmaster's study. The old man had decided to change the password and for some reason neglected to inform him of such. As a result he was stuck waiting, like a dog, for the headmaster to find him. He was sure it wouldn't take too long. Severus did have information that would help Dumbledore's precious prodigy, after all. As he mused, familiar and unpleasant voices drift his way. Potter and his precious sidekicks. A smirk distorts his face. It is far too late for them to be out of their houses. Curfew regulations set in in less than fifteen minutes. There is a very good opportunity for taking points here.

"Well speak of the devil," Snape grumbled. Harry turned the corner and Severus's lip curled in distaste. Its exactly as he expected. Granger, with her hair that was so reminiscent of a bush, carrying a sackload of books on one shoulder, and an armful in the other hand. The Weasley boy, with his ridiculous orange hair and his hands full of some sticky snack that he snuck from the kitchen. And then there was Potter himself. Potter. Snape almost spat. The boy was obnoxious, rude and arrogant. Just like his father.


"And then Professor McGonagall said that if we kept up with our assignments there was a very good chance that we could be put in the advanced class, do you believe it?" It was Hermione.


'Really,' Snape mused 'Did the girl ever SHUT UP?' Their useless prattling came to a halt when they saw Professor Snape standing in the hallway.


"Potter." Snape sneered again. "Unless I am mistaken, which i assure you i am not, it is far too late for you to be out of your houses wandering the halls. Curfew is in less than ten minutes. And I believe there was a potions essay I assigned to you. Do you mean to tell me you're finished? If you have so much time to waste uselessly wandering the halls i am sure there are many subjects to which i could attatch an additional essay. In fact, if any of you get less than exemplary on your essays tomorrow its points and detention for all of you, no matter who is at fault."


"And would the one at fault be YOU, professor?" Ron spat. Well well. the boy had a spine after all.

"RON!" Hermione hissed.

"Ten points for insolence, Weasley. And remember, I am not the one who turned in a faulty essay."

"Yes professor," Weasley grumbled. Snape turned, satisfied, but whirled in a rage at Ron's next words. "Stupid git."

"Detention, Mr. Weasley. Tomorrow, before the dinner hour."

"I have class, professor."

"Dinner, then, Mr. Weasley."

"Dinner? But professor-"

"Dinner, Mr. Weasley, and dont be late." Snape was pleased to see two identical spots of red appear on Ron's cheeks.

"Professor, that's not fair!" Harry shouted. Snape's lip curled.

"Well well, Mr. Potter. In case it has escaped your notice life isn't fair. I expect you in detention at the dinner hour tomorrow, understand Weasley?"

"Listen, Snape," Harry yelled, "Where do you get off bullying people and-" With a wave of his wand, Severus silenced the boy. Potter glared at him. Snape had to hide a self satisfied smirk. Clearly the boy had not yet mastered the art of the effectual glare.

"First off, Mr. Potter, you will address me as Professor Snape, and nothing less. Secondly, I am well within my rights to give you detention whenever you misbehave. And one more thing. Ten points from Gryffindor for insolence, ten more for raising your voice at me, and detention with Weasley tomorrow." He turned to Hermione. "Miss Granger, since you appear to be the most sensible of your pack of dunderheads I suggest you take them away before their foolishness can lose your house any more points. You also have exactly five minutes to make the eight minute trek back to the Gryffindor commons room. If I ever catch any of you out of your rooms past curfew i assure you, the consequences will be most dire. NOW GO." Hermione nodded, and dragged both boys off by their ears, lecturing them the whole way as they hurried back to their houses. Snape sighed, and took a seat in the shadows next to Dumbledore's study. Amusing as that had been, he now had to wait for Dumbledore to let him into the study. Snape shifted into a more comfortable position and closed his eyes. Dumbledore wouldn't be long.

A few minutes later Albus Dumbledore stepped out of his study to find a sleeping Snape in the shadows nearby. His eyes twinkling, the headmaster produced a pillow for Snape's head, and a blanket for his body. And when Severus awoke, he would find the password to enter written in ink on his hand. Dumbledore then turned and went back up the stairs. He had other things to do, no need to wake the sleeping professor. With a small chuckle and a nod to the stone gargoyle, Albus Dumbledore dissappeared once more into the headmaster's study. 

To be continued...
What Snape Reported by MyDarkGuardian
Author's Notes:
Sorry if Peeves wasn't exactly correct. Its been a while.

Snape awoke with a start to find himself dripping from the explosion of a water balloon over his head. He swore violently, wiping the water from his eyes.

"PEEVES!" He shouted. Peeves cackled.

"Time to wake up you greasy git! You big black bat!" Snape growled. Peeves was on his alphabet insult kick again. "You smelly snitch! You-"

"SHUT UP, PEEVES!" Snape bellowed.

"Now listen here, you loud lousy loser!" Severus gritted his teeth.

"Peeves," He said, calming himself, "If you don't shut up RIGHT NOW i'm calling the baron." With a pop, Peeves dissapeared, a single ghostly tounge pointing out at him before dissappearing to make mischief elsewhere.

"Fat fart frog!" The words echoed in the now silent hall. Snape sighed and pushed his wet hair away from his face. He winced, massaging his stiff neck with his other hand. He was too old to fall asleep sitting up. As he pushed the hair out of his face, ink on his hand caught his eye. He rolled his eyes.

"I should have known," He muttered. Walking over to the gargoyle he said: "Bertie bott's every flavor beans." With a stone rumbling the gargoyle shifted aside to let Snape pass. His robes billowed as he quickly ascended the stairs leading to Albus's study. Dumbledore looked up as Snape entered the room.

"Ah, Severus. I trust you have news for me?"

"Indeed. The dark lord is content to merely wait for now. However, he has presented me with a choice most disturbing." Dumbledore raised an eyebrow.

"Do tell, Severus." He waved his hand, and a chair slid into place behind Snape, taking his legs out from beneath him and sending him sprawling into the chair. Another gesture, and the moisture from Peeves' water balloon floated away from Snape's clothes to fall and cause a puddle on the floor. Behind them, the fire roared higher, and Fawkes purred in contentment. A steaming cup of tea appeared in Severus's hands. Dumbledore leaned back in his chair. "What schemes has Voldemort concocted now?" Severus sighed.

"To maintain my positon as one of the Dark lord's favored, he has endeavored to choose a suitor for me." Dumbledore's other eyebrow joined the first to melt into the white hair on the top of his head.

"And the name of the lucky lady?" Severus cast a cold glare at Dumbledore.

"Don't patronize me, Albus."

"Of course not, Severus. Drink your tea." Snape shook his head and stood, placing his cup on the edge of the desk. He walked over to face the fire; staring into it for such a long time the silence began to be suffocating. Suddenly Snape whirled.

"I am to marry Bellatrix Black. Tell me, Headmaster, did your precious seer find this in the cards? You have forced me into a corner, into making a decision I very much do not want to make."

"Remember your promise," Dumbledore whispered.

"My promise? Do not presume to remind me of things I know. I have lied, sworn oaths, risked my life and gained countless injuries in the name of my promise." Snape spat the last word. "You now ask me to choose between life and marrying the woman I most despise in this world."

"I understand that this is difficult for you, Severus."

"Do you, Headmaster? Do you really? Can you possibly imagine the degree of danger I subject myself to every day in the name of keeping Harry bloody Potter safe? A boy who every day grows to be more like his arrogant, rebellious father."

"I never said that this would be easy. You knew the risks when you made the oath. All I ask you to do is carry out your end of the bargain."

"You FAILED at your end. Why should I uphold mine?" Dumbledore's eyes turn flinty hard.

"I KEPT THEM SAFE! THEY WERE THE ONES WHO PUT THEIR TRUST IN THE WRONG PERSON!" Snape stared at Dumbledore, eyes wide. What was up with the old man? He was never angry. Dumbledore's eyes softened. "I cared for her too, Severus, If not in the way you did. You were not the only one who lost. It hurt me as well to see them taken so early in their lives. They could have accomplished many things had they not been stolen from this world so soon."

"But WHY didn't you stop them?" Snape's voice was filled with anguish. Dumbledore sighed, rubbing his forehead wearily.

"By the time I knew, it was too late. I'm sorry, Severus." Snape frowned angrily.

"Thats not good enough."

"It is all I can give. Remember who you do this for. You swore to me."

"Not for you. This is not, nor has ever been for you. Nor is it for the brat." Snape once again turned on his heel, stalking out of the office, his cape swirling behind him.

"Of course not. No one holds sway over you like she does," Dumbledore whispered. He opened his hand to peer at the picture it contained. A girl with firey red hair and shocking green eyes stared back at him. With a sigh, Dumbledore closed his hand again and the picture dissappeared. Fawkes, noting his master's distress, flew over to land on Dumbledore's lap, elicting a small smile from the man. "I am all right, my dear Fawkes." He stroked the phoenix's head. "I am all right." He gazes into the fire, sitting and pondering for quite a while.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Ok, I made Dumbledore a little nicer... he was a bit harsh last time. Enjoy!
The Manor by MyDarkGuardian

By the time Severus emerged from his musings the water had gotten cold. He stepped out and quickly got dressed, knowing that wherever Bellatrix had gone, it would most likely not keep her much longer. His bare feet sunk into the soft carpet of the room. His stomach moaned at him. All of a sudden the house elf popped in next to him. It didn't say a word. Snape gestured impatiently for it to speak.


"Good morning, Potions Master Snape. Mistress Bellatrix told me to tell you she is running errands, and will be back at noon. Is there anything I may bring you?" Snape glanced at the clock on the bedside table. 11:30.

"No. I will wait until Bellatrix returns and we will take lunch then. In the meantime, I require a tour of the house." The elf bowed.

"Yes Master Snape. If you will follows me, please." It flinched, realizing Snape had not asked it to speak. It looked up at him.

"Well?" Snape asked irritably. Stupid Bellatrix, making the elves so afraid. How did she expect them to do their jobs if they were scared out of their wits? The elf led him out of the room and into the long hall. There were many doors lining the hallway, and the elf showed them all to him, all the while saying nothing. Snape sighed. "If this is your idea of a tour, its a poor one. Tell me what the rooms are for."

"Yes, Master Snape. Most rooms on this floor are spare rooms." It pointed to a door in the celing above them. "That lead to attic, sir." It led Snape down some stairs to the main floor. There was the main door, leading outside, with two doors on one side of the main staircase and two on the other. "First door on left leads to kitchen, sir. Second door on left lead to dining hall. First door on right lead to library. Second door on right lead to dungeon. Sir Dark Lord had it put in especially for Master Snape." Snape walked over to it.

"Show me." The elf nodded. The door opened to reveal stone stairs leading down to a dark room. Snape pulled out his wand. "Lumos." The room was lit with a bright light. Wall to wall shelves contained potions ingredients of all shapes and sizes. On one of the walls was a bookshelf containing various books on potions and ingredients. Snape walked over to look at them. Copies of things he had, then some rare ones he didn't. He made a mental note to copy down a list of the books he didnt have, and get someone to copy the contents. Eight cauldrons sat in a corner, with another on a tripod in the center of the room. A long desk carved from stone was beside it. For all the ingredients neccessary to brew whatever potion he was making, presumably. On the desk was an empty scroll and a quill in an inkwell. Snape looked around with awe. The dark lord must be pleased.

"Is it to Master Snape's likings?" The elf asked timidly. Snape nodded.

"Yes. Very good. I wish to be left alone. When Bellatrix returns inform her of where I am." The elf left with a pop. Snape walked over to the desk. Pulling out the large heavy drawer he noticed more quills and empty scrolls. Snape pushed the stone drawer closed again. He grabbed a scroll and enchanted it to write down every word he said. Pushing his hair back he walked over to the bookshelf.

'Alphabetical order. Very nice.'

"Write this down." The quill scribbled frantically as Snape dictated the titles of his new books. It was there that Bellatrix found him when she returned at noon.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Write me a review
Memories, Hysterics and Forgotten Things by MyDarkGuardian
Author's Notes:
So there's a little trouble in paradise... Bellatrix and Snape get into an argument... Bella does a little bit of swearing. Not too much, but its just a warning.

The door of the dungeon slammed open, announcing the arrival of Bellatrix.

“Severus!” She cooed, sidling up to him and kissing him on the mouth. “I have good news,” She purred.

“End dictation!” Snape called to the quill. He had finished a list of all the new books, another of the books he did not have, except in this new library, and was starting on a list of the potions ingredients. “Yes, Bellatrix?” He asked, turning to his wife. She sat on the stone table, and to Snape’s irritation, barely avoided knocking several very expensive vials off the table.

“I have very, very good news,” She purred, caressing the side of his face. Her hand rubbed circles on his chest. Snape had to stifle his irritation. This woman…

“Would you like to tell me what it is?” He asked her calmly. She played with the edges of his robe. A teasing grin flitted across her face. He sighed. “Either tell me or don’t. I have work to do, Bellatrix.” She pouted.

 “You’re always working, Sev.” Snape stiffened. “You should take some time off to play.” She grinned savagely. Her fingers weaved through his shirt, worming their way towards his skin. He pulled her hands off him.

“Tell me or don’t. If you aren’t going to tell, then please leave. I have work to do and you’re in the way.” Annoyance and anger flickered across Bellatrix’s face.

“I’m in the way?” She repeated, eyes flinty.

“Yes. I am in need of the table your rear is resting on.” Bellatrix’s face went red.

“Is that some kind of veiled wisecrack about my weight?” She questioned angrily. Severus threw his hands up in the air. Women and their weight sensitivities.

“No. It was a blunt remark on how your butt is occupying valuable space on my table. Until you move it I cannot continue my work,” Snape explained, but Bellatrix seemed not to hear. Her whole face was bright red, and the spark of insanity that perpetually lingered in her eyes was transformed from a spark to a blaze.

“SEVERUS SNAPE, YOU BASTARD!” She screamed. She leapt up from the table and whirled out of the dungeon. The vials shuddered as she violently slammed the doors. Snape yelled his fury. He ripped off the ring on his finger and threw it across the room. Matrimony be damned. He could not stand to be near her another minute. A thread in his mind, long forgotten, quivered. The smell of fresh rain permeated the air.

‘Calm down, Sevvy.’ Severus started. After all these years, she was still alive? ‘You’ll be ok. Deep breaths.’ Severus sat down, crossing his long elegant fingers. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

‘It has been a long time,’ Severus responded to the voice in his mind. ‘I was beginning to doubt that you still lived.’ The sound of a woman’s laughter trickled through their mental link.

‘I am alive as you are, Severus.’

‘Then why have you not taken charge of your nephew? Why have you not come back to us? After your sister’s death…’ Severus could feel the sadness through the link.

‘I am sorry, Severus. There is still so much I cannot say. So much I am not allowed to tell you. I would if I could, you know this. I am glad you have found someone who will be there by your side. Someone you love. I miss you.’ The voice carried pride and happiness, but also a hint of sadness.

“I do not love Bellatrix…’ The link snapped and his connection was gone. Severus swore. ‘I miss you too’. He tried sending the thought down the link, but halfway it hit a mental wall and couldn’t break through. She was hidden from him. Again. He sighed and opened his eyes. What happened today was so unexpected, so unpredictable, that he had no hope of it ever happening again. The one person on earth still living that he enjoyed talking to had vanished when his best friend Lily had died. However, he could not afford to dwell on it. He now had to go and apologize to the last person on earth he wanted to talk to. Bellatrix. He knew if he did not, both Dumbledore and Voldemort would kill him, Voldemort quite possibly literally. Sighing, he picked up the ringg, placing it back on his finger, and trudged up the stairs to the room they shared. He knocked tentatively on the closed door.

“Bellatrix?” He called.

“GO AWAY,” Was the screamed answer. Hidden behind the words Severus could hear the hint of a sob. He grimaced. Dealing with a hysterical Bellatrix was even more trying than dealing with the normal one. This would require precision and, God forbid, pleading.

“Bellatrix, darling, would you please open the door? I would like to speak to you.”

“I SAID, GO AWAY!” Bellatrix yelled back. Snape sat down outside of the door.

“You won’t even give me a chance to explain?” Snape wanted to retch. This sickly sweet begging was beneath him. His mind had already come up with a suitable explanation for what was perfectly natural behavior. To Bellatrix, though, it was a grievous slight against her person. Now all he had to do was sit and wait for her to take the bait. It would not be long.

He was right, as usual. A few moments later, the door to their bedroom opened a crack. A teary-eyed Bellatrix stuck her head out of the opening. She leaned against the doorpost, trying to look casual.

“Explain.”

“Until I married you,” Snape began, “my work was first and foremost in my life. I abhor children, and when I am around potions I slip into potions professor mode. I treated you how I would have treated an annoying student whom I found sitting on my desk.” Bellatrix sniffed.

“So you didn’t mean it?” She asked, her voice quavering. Severus pulled her into a hug.

“Of course not.” He reassured her. In his mind though, he screamed ‘ABSOLUTELY! I meant every word.’ A quiet laugh resonated in his mind. He quickly checked the link. Still closed. Only a memory, then. He was disappointed. Bellatrix startled him back to the present. She clung to him, crying into his robes. ‘Ugh.’

“I was so scared… that… you hated… me… and that…you didn’t want me anymore…” She wailed. Severus nearly laughed aloud. Would no longer want her? What was she, four? He methodically smoothed her hair, remembering the last time he was put into this position. Severus grimaced. The last time held no better memories than this new one.


Many years ago, in Severus’ Final year at Hogwarts

Severus sits at a table in the slytherin common room. A girl with long, dark hair sits next to him. Books are strewn all over the table, and both have their quills out and are writing frantically on scrolls. The girl sighs and rubs her forehead, smearing ink across her face. Noticing it, Severus smirks. She sees his smirk.

“What?” She asks quizzically. He laughs.

“There’s ink on your head,” He informs her. She sighs.

“Naturally.” She winces. “Listen, Sev, I’m sorry, but I can’t stay up with you any longer. I’m exhausted and I don’t feel very well. I’m sorry.” She packs up her scroll and quill, but leaves the books on the table. He doesn’t look up.

“Ok.”

“Goodnight Sev,” She says, heading up the stairs to the girls dorm.

“Night June.” He responds, quill still frantically scratching away at the paper. An hour passes, and the clock chimes eleven. He rubs his tired eyes. Suddenly there is a noise outside the common room. He ignores it, but it comes again. He sighs and gets up, peering out of the common room. Snape stiffens. Standing in the shadows is a familiar figure. The candle flame he holds illuminates the tearstained face of his former best friend, Lily Evans, the sister of his actual best friend, June Evans. Lily hasn’t talked to him since that day when that infernal James and his intolerable friends pushed him too far. When he called lily that terrible name.

“Sev,” She whimpers. He stares calmly back at her.

“Yes?”

“I’m sorry.” She whispers. “I…” She begins to sob. Without even thinking, he gathers her up in his arms. She was his best friend. Contrary to popular belief, he held no romantic desires for Lily. She was one of his best friends, that was it. She was one of the most important people in his life, even if she had ditched him for James. He would do anything to protect her.

“What happened?” He asks her.

“I… my sister…It was a dare… I didn’t want to do it… James…” She sobs harder, her words barely understandable. His blood turns to ice.

“What… what did you do to June?” He asks, his heart pounding in his ears. Lily sniffs.

“Sirius was bored.” Snape grits his teeth. Bad things always seem to come when Sirius gets bored. “He dared James to cast a memory charm that would make someone forget their entire self for a full day and to cast it on the first person he saw. It takes effect tomorrow.” Lily looks at Severus miserably. “Guess who came around the corner.” Snape sighs.

“June. Naturally.” Lily nods wretchedly. “I didn’t hear about this until after it happened. James pulled it off brilliantly, but…” Snape glares at her.

“Let me guess. He has no idea how to remove it.” Lily nods again, his words bringing on a fresh spray of tears. “And you didn’t tell me until now because...?” Snape trails off irritably.

“I… I was afraid… and I didn’t want you to be mad at me…” Severus snarls at her.

“You were afraid. Your sister could lose memory of her entire life, and you do not tell anyone about it because you’re afraid. Aren’t you supposed to be a Gryffindor?”


Present Day

Snape shook his head angrily. It’s been many years, and the memory of that night still makes him angry. Suddenly, a loud growl erupted from his stomach. Bellatrix laughed through her tears.

“Honestly Severus. One would think you’d be satisfied with breakfast.” Severus shrugged.

“I believe that would require one to have breakfast.” He released Bellatrix with a shudder. Touching her was like touching something slimy and revolting. She grabbed his hand and led him to the dining room.

“Well, let’s get something to eat, and then I can tell you my news!” She exclaimed. Severus followed obediently behind, not wanting to risk raising her ire once more.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hope you liked :) Leave me a review!
Defense Against the Dark Arts? by MyDarkGuardian

 Severus and Bellatrix sat at the table in silence; the only sound the silverware clinking against the porcelain dishes. Bellatrix picked at her food, trying to be dainty. Severus elegantly consumed his soup, not gobbling it, but not simply picking at it either. Bellatrix watched him with a grin. He raised an eyebrow.

“Something funny, Bellatrix?” He asked. She grinned wider.

“There’s a rumor going around you’re a vampire, Severus. Everyone will be very unhappy to hear they’re untrue.”

“So sorry to disappoint,” He responded, a trace of irritation seeping into his voice. Bellatrix pulled herself out of her chair and strode over to him, massaging his shoulders.

“I’m not disappointed. I couldn’t do all the fun things I can do with you with a vampire.” She chuckled evilly. Snape’s stomach churned.

“Quite.”

“Oh you silly boy. Don’t be ashamed. We are married.” Snape wanted to vomit.

“I believe you had news?”

“Oh right!” She smiled seductively. “How much do you want to know?” Snape rubbed his forehead. He could feel a headache coming on.

“I am not in the mood to play this game, Bellatrix.” The woman actually pouted.

“Fine. I got a job today.”

“Oh really?”

“Yes, really. Would you like to know where?”

“Obviously. Why else would I still be sitting here?”

“Hogwarts.” Snape, who had just taken a sip of tea, narrowly avoided spraying it everywhere.

“Repeat that, would you? For some reason I heard you say Hogwarts.”

“No, you heard me correctly. They were looking for a new defense against the dark arts teacher. Looks like I fit the bill.” Bellatrix giggled manically. “And now… well I’ll be so close to the boy it will be a cakewalk to get him out of there and into the hands of the dark lord!” Severus bit his cheek so hard the blood began to flow. This… was going to be trouble.

“How did you manage that?” He asked her, voice calm, portraying none of his inner turmoil.

“Oh that was easy! I just cast an illusion to make me look like someone different.”

“Show me.” Snape commanded.

“Of course.” With a flick of her wand, Bellatrix transformed herself into a woman with short, blonde hair and bright blue eyes. “What do you think?” She asked. Snape was astonished. Even her voice was different.

“You look… very…”

“Attractive? Marvelous? Gorgeous?” She glowered at him. “You better not like this me better than the other.” Snape shook his head, still stunned.

“How...?”

“I don’t know… it was just something it turns out I can do.” She kissed Snape on the lips. “I’m so glad you’re pleased. Now we can be together all year!”  Snape’s sallow face turned green. He staggered up and away from the table.

“Excuse me. I think I’ll retire for a while.” Bellatrix looked after him with concern.

“Feel better!” Snape staggered into the bedroom and closed the door, barely making it into the bathroom before being sick.

“Ugh.” He moaned. Bellatrix was going to be at Hogwarts. The stakes just went up. He had to protect the brat, pretend to love Bellatrix, help Bellatrix with her schemes to capture Potter and make sure her schemes failed. He also had to keep this tumultuous marriage from breaking apart. This was going to be one complicated year. A worm of a thought wiggled at the back of his brain. Then it hit him. Dumbledore. Why hadn’t Dumbledore stopped Bellatrix in her tracks? He was the one in charge of hiring the new staff. Snape frowned. Something was going on here, and he meant to find out. He staggered to the bed and crawled in. He really wasn’t ill, but Bellatrix was obsessive. In a few moments, she would come to check in on him. If he wasn’t lying in bed, she would know something was up. He closed his eyes. Once she left, he would be free to do whatever he liked for the rest of the day.

True to his predictions, mere moments later he heard the bedroom door open. He held very still and breathed deeply, pantomiming sleep. To his relief, not one minute later the door closed again and he was left alone. Now that he was in the bed, however, he no longer felt like getting up. He rolled onto his side. ‘In five minutes, I’ll get up and go speak with Dumbledore.’ He thought to himself. The voice in his head, the one not sent by someone else, merely his own crazy, laughed. ‘So not going to happen and you know it.’ Snape growled, but his breathing evened out as he fell fast asleep.
To be continued...
A Talk About Employment by MyDarkGuardian

When Snape awoke the next morning, he felt no more optimistic about the following year at Hogwarts than he had the day before. He heaved a sigh as he slid out of the bed. He needed to talk to Dumbledore today. Bellatrix could not be a teacher at Hogwarts. He frowned at her. Seven thirty, almost eight, and she was still asleep. She would have that habit beaten out of her if she actually did become a professor. Classes started bright and early at Hogwarts. He quickly got ready and left the room, calling a house elf to tell Bellatrix where he had gone. Once he was finished, he entered the floo room. Grabbing a handful of the powder, he threw it into the fireplace.

“Potions Study, Hogwarts!” He called, and stepped quickly inside. His step threw off his balance, and he tumbled head over heels into his office. Glancing around he quickly stood up and brushed himself off. “Glad nobody saw that,” He murmured. He looked around the familiar room. Everything seemed to be in order, aside from the thin layer of dust that had collected over the summer. He did not allow house elves to clean any area of his quarters at any time. It was far too invasive, and with some of the things they could discover… he would be in very deep trouble. With a month left until school started, the room would be a disaster area if he didn’t solve the problem immediately. He pulled out his wand and all the dust from every one of his rooms collected in a brick at his feet.  He shrunk the cube and tossed it into the trashcan. He then looked around the room again and nodded. Much better. Severus Snape did not tolerate messiness. He turned on his heel and strode out of the room. His soft footsteps echoed in the silent hall. Hogwarts was so much more serene without its students. In a month, the serenity and peace would be shattered by the sounds of annoying first years and other pupils with their irritating incessant chatter. He was so absorbed in his thoughts he didn’t notice Minerva coming up behind him.

            “Why, Severus!” She exclaimed. “Is that you? How good to see you back for another year. Flitwick was…” She trailed off. “Never mind.” Snape turned to her, eyebrow raised archly.

            “No no, Minerva. Do tell. How I love the latest gossip,” He remarked sarcastically, resisting the urge to roll his eyes.

            “Well…” McGonagall began slowly, “It’s just that there’s a bet between the staff… on whether or not you’ll come back the following year. Dumbledore wins every year because he bets you come back.” Snape peered at her.

            “And yet none of you have learned.” He turned on his heel, ending the conversation on his terms. He preferred it that way. He strode up to Dumbledore’s office, sneering at the gargoyle when it tried to stop him from entering the study.

            “Ah, Severus! How good to see you. Take a seat.” Waving his hand, the chair behind Severus rushed forwards, knocking Snape backwards into it. Snape glared at Dumbledore.

            “Would you quit doing that?” He asked irritably. Dumbledore chuckled.

            “Probably not. Now what can I do for you?”

            “I have some… concerns… about your latest staff hiring.” Dumbledore shook his head ruefully.

            “Honestly Severus, where on earth do you get your information? I haven’t told anyone about the new teachers yet.”

            “Teachers? Plural? No matter. One of the people you hired is Bellatrix. Short haired woman, a blonde. She was positively glowing at the prospect of a swing at the precious boy-who-lived.” Dumbledore shook his head.

            “There is no way this woman could be her. Think about it, Severus. The woman I hired was a straight haired blonde. Bellatrix has curly dark hair, remember?” Snape rolled his eyes.

            “Do the words polyjuice potions mean nothing to you?” Dumbledore shook his head.

            “No no Severus. I would have noticed. Fawkes would have noticed.” Snape looked around.

            “Where is the bird?” He asked, looking around.

            “Hmm? Oh he’s right over there.” Dumbledore gestured vaguely to somewhere on his left side. Fawkes was not over there. In fact, Fawkes was nowhere to be seen.

            “Are you… feeling ok, sir?” Snape asked, looking at the old man curiously. Dumbledore pulled his ears and stuck out his tongue.

            “Stop looking at me like that. Of course I am. I’m as spry as I was when I was thirty!” He pumped a fist in the air, then winced. “Oh my back…” He winked at Snape. “Just kidding. But seriously though Severus, I refuse to believe that I would have hired anyone from the Death Eaters, much less the eccentric Bellatrix Snape.” The potions master winced.

            “Please refrain from referring to her like that.” Dumbledore looked at him.

            “What? That is her new name, thanks to you.” Snape glared at him.

            “Do not refer to her as Bellatrix Snape. She is Bellatrix Black, and will be until she legally marries.”

            “Are you telling me your marriage isn’t legal?”

            “That may be what I am implying.”

            “If she ever finds out…”

            “I took measures to assure she would not figure it out until I wish it.”

            “Very good.” Snape stood.

            “Headmaster I swear to you that the woman you have hired is Bellatrix Black. She must be fired from the staff at all costs.” Dumbledore shook his head, a foggy look in his eyes.

            “Miss Griffin is perfectly qualified for the job of defense against the dark arts teacher. I will not fire her to hire you just because you want the job.” Snape studied the curious fog in the headmaster’s eyes.

            “Mhm…” He murmured. How unfortunate. Someone (not hard to guess who) had placed Dumbledore under a spell inhibiting his reasoning, at least as far as where ‘Miss Griffin’ was concerned. Snape snorted. Miss Griffin, honestly? Could she have picked a more ridiculous name? He sighed. “So you refuse to reconsider this foolish decision?” Snape asked.

            “Yes, Severus. I am convinced that this will be good for Hogwarts.”

            “Fine. If you will excuse me, my wife will be up soon.” Snape turned on his heel and left the office. Dumbledore chuckled and pulled a file out of the piles of papers on his desk. A picture of a woman with shocking green eyes and long dark hair stared back from the photo.

            “Oh Severus. You’re in for one big surprise.”
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2883