Mistaken Identities by beargirl1393
Summary: Because of a potion brewed by Dumbledore, Severus and Harry are trapped in their animagus forms with no memories. Severus, now called Shadow, adopts Harry, now called Viridian, as his own. What happens when Severus gets his memory back? Will he still care about his cub? This is set right before the end of Harry's first year at Hogwarts, although this is AU.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Runaway
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Neglect
Prompts: Heart and Soul Child, Trapped in same animigus form
Challenges: Heart and Soul Child, Trapped in same animigus form
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 7851 Read: 42063 Published: 20 Dec 2012 Updated: 22 Jan 2013
Story Notes:

*Animals speaking*

Thoughts

Memories

"Humans speaking"

Mistaken Identities by beargirl1393

*Keep them away please Shadow*, Viridian pleaded.* Those two leggeds are after us again. Why won’t they let us alone?*

*Because they do not know how to leave us in peace*, Shadow grumbled, uncurling from where he had been sleeping and walking over to his cub. The panther made no noise, keeping to the shadows to remain invisible. *Come with me cub; I doubt they can climb very well.* Shadow’s voice was quitter than the wind blowing through the trees, as was Viridian’s reply.

*We shouldn’t have to hide all the time,* the cub growled petulantly as they both took to the trees, looking down on the strange humans below them.

*It’s a necessity*, Shadow sighed, stretching out on a sturdy branch, *Unless you want to be a pet while I’m killed for my fur?*

*NO! It’s just, why do they always follow us? We’re not the only creatures in this forest.*

*True, but we are the only two of our kind here* And that is part of the reason why I took you in, Shadow only thought the last part, not wanting to upset his cub. In reality, Viridian wasn’t his cub, but he’s young enough that being on his own could prove fatal. Shadow didn’t want the cub’s blood on his paws when a manticore or who knows what got him, so he took the cub in as his own.

Viridian moved as close to his guardian as possible without falling out of the tree. *Couldn’t we just scare them a bit? Please? They’ve been coming here since right after we were here, so they’re after us. If we scare them away, then we’ll have more time to hunt and play and sleep and…*

*The list goes on*, Shadow said, smirking at his cub’s babbling. Really, who wouldn’t want to take care of him? Granted, he managed to get into trouble requiring Shadow to save him at least once daily, but he was still a good cub.

“There they are Albus, in that tree,” a woman’s voice called from below, causing both panthers to tense.

*What now Shadow?*

*Hush cub and let me think.*

“I do believe you are correct Minerva,” a male voice responded, “It definitely appears to be them, and from the way Severus is snarling at us I don’t believe they remember us.”

*Severus? That name sounds familiar*, Shadow said, wondering why the humans were staring at them. They aren’t taking my cub; I don’t care who they are. Shadow growled, showing his impressive teeth as he snarled at the invaders. *Leave now foolish humans!*

“Oh come now Severus, you and Harry must have some recollection of who you are. My potion wasn’t that bad was it?” It was the male who spoke, and Shadow distantly noted that the voice was familiar, however the woman speaking prevented him from analyzing that fact.

“Albus, Poppy said that they have none of their human memories. Why do you think they fled the school? Also, it may be prudent to step back.”

“Whatever for Minerva?”

“Because I think Severus believes that you wish to harm Harry. Look at how protective he is of him. He may not be a wizard any longer, but he does have rather sharp claws.”

*Who are Severus and Harry? Why do they sound familiar?*

*I don’t know Viridian. I’m as confused as you are. Those humans speak so oddly. Potions, wizards, it is very strange.*

*Yeah. What’re we gonna do?*

*I don’t know cub. I…*

Shadow stopped talking as a memory slammed him full force.

“Ah Severus, good, you are here.”

“You summoned me Headmaster.”

“Now all we need is for Mr. Potter to join us.”

“Why must that insufferable brat be present? If I had known that you had invited him, I would have taken tea in my quarters as I usually do.”

“I want to have young Harry and you test something for me.”

“Test what Professor?” Harry asks as he walks in on the last part if the conversation.

“It’s a potion to reveal your animangus forms. I found it in a rather old book and decided to try my hand at brewing it.”

“Using us as your lab rats Albus?”

“Only a little Severus.”

“I’ll do it Professor, it sounds kinda interesting.”

“Wonderful my boy. Severus?”

“Very well Headmaster. I want it noted that I think this will be a fiasco.”

“Don’t you trust me Severus?”

“With all due respect Albus, there is a reason you pay me to brew the school’s potions and to teach the little brats how to brew. I can see this blowing up in our faces.”

“Nonsense dear boy, everything will be fine. Now, shall we go outside in case your animal forms are wild?”

“After you Albus.”

*Oh dear Merlin*, Shadow thought, *I am Severus. I’ve been playing nursemaid to Harry Potter for the past three months.*

*Shadow…What…?*

*Viridian*, Shadow said, *You are Harry Potter. I am Severus Snape. The headmaster decided it would be a good idea to use us as his test subjects for his potion, remember?*

*A little*, Viridian said slowly, *It’s kinda fuzzy. I remember you taking care of me…and I remember being in a small space, with a big human yelling at me…everything between the two is still fuzzy.*

*You’re memory loss is more complete than mine I assume*,  Shadow said, looking at the cub, his cub. Yes, mine still, even if he is Potter.

*What now Shadow?*

*I find a way to change us back, and then we have a talk with that meddling old man.* Albus Dumbledore I am going to make you wish you never even thought of brewing that potion.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2887