Mistaken Identities by beargirl1393
Summary: Because of a potion brewed by Dumbledore, Severus and Harry are trapped in their animagus forms with no memories. Severus, now called Shadow, adopts Harry, now called Viridian, as his own. What happens when Severus gets his memory back? Will he still care about his cub? This is set right before the end of Harry's first year at Hogwarts, although this is AU.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Runaway
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Neglect
Prompts: Heart and Soul Child, Trapped in same animigus form
Challenges: Heart and Soul Child, Trapped in same animigus form
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 7851 Read: 42065 Published: 20 Dec 2012 Updated: 22 Jan 2013
New Information by beargirl1393

Viridian nudged him awake a short time later. He was hungry, indicating that it was time to hunt, and he seemed oddly restless for some reason that Shadow could not fathom.

*You’re rather quiet cub*, Shadow says as they head towards their hunting spot. *Is anything wrong?*

Viridian shook his head, huffing irritatedly. *It’s stupid Daddy, really.*

Shadow smiles slightly at the name, but frowns as he takes in Viridian’s agitation. He says nothing until after they have eaten and are back in the cave, curled up together against the cold night air. It was warm during the day, but the nights were cold, even though it was summer.

*What is bothering you Viridian?* Shadow asks, wondering if more of his cub’s memory had returned.

*I keep thinking of the big man*, Viridian confessed, looking up at Shadow worriedly. *If I’m really a human, then I’ll have to go back to him. I don’t want to Shadow! He hates me; I know he does. Please don’t send me back there, please Daddy!*

Shadow nuzzled his cub closer to his chest, soothing him with his presence as well as his words. *Hush little one. You are my cub, and I will always take care of you. When we return to human, I will do everything in my power to ensure that you never go back to that man; I promise.*

Viridian curled closer to Shadow, needing the comfort from his dark thoughts. Shadow had helped him, loved him, and the thought of leaving him and being forced to go somewhere he was unwanted was horrifying. It was almost as bad as the feeling he got when he woke from the nightmare with the green flash and the woman’s scream. His source of comfort was the same for both, snuggling up to the elder panther and listening to his heart beating. As long as he was with Shadow, he was safe; nothing could hurt him.


 

The two panthers were too distracted to notice their visitor, who was hidden by magic. After hearing Viridian’s fears and Shadow’s comfort, Minerva turned and hurried back to Hogwarts. She needed to speak to Albus, as things certainly what they appeared to be. For one thing, both Harry and Severus had some of their human memories. More shocking than that was the relation between the two. To think that Severus Snape would be able to comfort a frightened child, when he was a cause of fear to many; it was enough to make her doubt her sanity. The spy was cold and sarcastic, downright cruel on occasion, yet she had just witnessed the softer side of his personality. Was that a result of the transformation, or was it due to Harry’s presence?


“Ah Minerva, any luck finding Severus and Harry?” Albus asked as Minerva entered his office, seemingly lost in thought. She had decided to search for them once more before night fell completely, reasoning that she would be able to understand what the two panthers were saying and could use that to convince them of the fact that they were under the effects of an improperly brewed potion. From her expression, he didn’t think she’d had much luck.

“I found them,” Minerva replied, “But everything is not as we had assumed.”

Albus was confused. “What do you mean? They haven’t transformed back, have they?”

Minerva shook her head in the negative before launching into her story, describing how she had listened to their conversation while using magic to remain hidden. “I didn’t have the heart to capture them Albus, not after that. They have regained at least a small portion of their human memories it seems, but it also appears that Severus and Harry have a strong bond, and I am loath to break that.”

“He said that his uncle hates him?” Albus clarified, stunned. He had always assumed that Harry was well taken care of by his relatives; he is their blood after all. He tried not to think of another black-haired youth, far too slim and starting at loud noises, shy and introverted, speaking to few, and trusting fewer. Said boy, now a man, had apparently taken it upon himself to protect Harry even more now, something which confused him as well as amazed him. How did Harry manage to get to Severus’s heart?

“He said ‘the man’, I assume that he was speaking of his uncle,” Minerva replied, shaking her head. “I told you when you left the boy there Albus; they are the worst sort of muggles imaginable.”

“They are his blood Minerva,” Albus said, looking vaguely chastised, “I had assumed that Petunia would care for Harry as she would her own son.”

“Blood is no guarantee of affection Albus,” Minerva rebuked, “I thought you had learned your lesson when Severus showed up half-dead his fourth year here and wouldn’t go to the Infirmary or tell anyone what had happened to him."

“You’re right,” Albus sighed, “But I was loath to accuse the boy’s relatives without proof. Harry never complained to anyone about them until now, so I assumed…”

“Well, I doubt Severus will let you cling to those assumptions Albus,” Minerva said, a trifle tartly. “From what I could gather, he looks at Harry as if the boy is his own, and he has no intention of sending him back to his awful relatives.”

“Perhaps that is the reason they have been avoiding us,” Albus mused, “They are worried that we will separate them.”

“Perhaps Albus, but tellinng them we have the antidote and will not separate them will be rather difficult.”

Albus just smiled, his blue eyes twinkling madly. “We shall have to make them listen to us Minerva, even if it means being led on a wild goose chase through the Forest again.”

Minerva smirked. “Severus was thorough, I will give him that. Human or panther, he is fiercely loyal and will protect those he cares for regardless of the cost to him.”

“Let us ensure that the cost isn’t too high this time,” Albus said, before the two began discussing their plan, once again, for capturing Severus and Harry.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry it’s been so long between updates. I’m stuck between leaving Harry as a four, almost five, year old when he becomes human again, or reverting him back to his original age. I’m open to suggestions as to why either is better, as I have good reasons for both and a good plot to follow either.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2887