Atramentous Distortion by Emerald Raven
Summary: It's close to the start of the Harry's fifth year when he receives a mysterious letter on his fifteenth birthday. The contents, strange and confusing claims that his true parents were not Lily and James Potter.

This starts a series of events that reveals not only a fifteen year old guarded secret, but one that is much, much older. One that changes not only Harry's life forever, but Professor Snape's and Lucius Malfoy's as well. It's the start of something new where enemies become allies and allies enemies.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hedwig, Hermione, Lily, Lucius, Luna, McGonagall, Narcissa, Neville, Remus, Shacklebolt, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Creature!fic, Resorting, Vampires
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Romance/Het, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Prompts: My Mum Severus Snape
Challenges: My Mum Severus Snape
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 75923 Read: 80425 Published: 27 Dec 2012 Updated: 22 Feb 2013
Chapter 5: Diagon Alley & Unexpected Surprises by Emerald Raven
Author's Notes:
Thanks you my faithful readers, I really enjoyed your reviews I am afraid that this chapter was biting my ankles the whole week and the interaction I had hoped to create between Draco and Saturn was unsatisfactory, however I finished it. This story is still in the beginning stages and please remember that not everything will be smooth sailing after this chapter, I am planning more emotional distress and pain. The dynamic between Draco and Saturn may also shift a bit once the stage of quiet acceptance wears off.

Anyways enough of my rambling just a few things:

Nightshade, I have not really thought that far ahead, please give me some time to work things out more in depth, sorry that I cannot answer your questions quite yet. Yes, Saturn will eventually inherit quite a few things from his ‘mum’. Do not worry, that will still come.

Mervoparkite: A fellow string buddy, I’ve never played the harp although my mother likes it. I play cello and I have always thought of elves as musical, I guess it’s just the way they seem so close to nature that music should come to them easily.

Kaelisea: I am so glad you enjoy my story and I am glad that you are not offended by the content. Please keep enjoying it, you have no idea how it brightens my day when I gain such a lovely review. I’ll check out those authors the next time I get a chance to drop by the library.

Thanks again for reading, I’ll see you next week with a better chapter as an introduction to Hogwarts.

It was warm in the library, almost uncomfortably hot, with thousands of book and scrolls covering shelves spread to the four corners of the large room from floor to ceiling. Containing no doubt an extensive collection that could rival Hogwarts' own library. Crowded with endless books, large forgotten tomes of ancient magics, a shelf dedicated strictly to family history and scores of valuable journals. It was no doubt that Malfoy Manner held an impressive array of literary delight and hidden between were vital records for those willing to appreciate their almost forgotten presence. It was a place of retreat, a place of sanctuary that one returned to after a long tiring day of exhausting work.

 

Dusty tomes, sticky vellums, old worn leather and deteriorating pages reached out its tendrils of soothing aromas to a single dozing figure, completely lost in the flicker of dark dreams, sprawled across one of the settees arranged around the fire. Hair, shimmering silver beneath the waning rays of the moon spread around a delicate form like a halo of purity. A small frame curled around a book possessively clutched against a chest with a collection of parchments, marked heavily with black ink inches and spoke clearly of hard work, lay motionless at the angelic like creatures feet. Like the slumbering figure's limbs, beneath a cleaned quill and a magically sealed ink bottle, there was no an inch of movement to indicate awareness in the collection of parchments.

 

An air of understandable exhaustion, clinging desperately to the slumped frame like a forgotten cloak, stained the wraith like figure melted into the soft cushions of his resting place. But for the brush of a frown upon untainted brow, it may have seemed as if the young elf had not a single care in the world. Beneath the limp hand falling over the side of the settee, there existed two stacks of books. The one that the tips of fingers unknowingly brushed against tenderly were a collection of three perfectly kept journals, the other, a lonely stack filled with a collection of research books from the library, school books from the year before and two heavy tomes that were yet untouched by age. Gifts he had received from his friends for his fifteenth birthday. Books that the young slumbering elf valued as proof that he had not completely lost the connection to the life that now lay at his feet in tatters of betrayal.  

 

Outside, through the large open windows, the sun was just beginning to make its slow ascent into the sky with the promising kiss of morning. Trails of mauve, blood orange and bright yellow struggling to find their place upon the planes of sky shattered by intervals of dark storm clouds gathering in the east. It was barely a second after dawn lighted the dark night sky before long silver lashes fluttered and curled open with bleary distress. Dark emotions, forgotten the day before, lighting across fair features before they settled into sorrowful light of understanding. Leaving behind a dulled light in forest darkened eyes, now filled with wisdom and understanding unbecomingly dark for a child that looked so young.

 

There was a moment of silence before a single word ripped through the room in a whisper of confusion. A single name he had almost forgotten in his joy of discovering a new life. Cedric. It was a whisper laden with emotions, a harsh realization that fate still hung upon his shoulders. Now cutting into his soul more heavily than ever before and even though Saturn had been given a second chance at family, a new life...his reality had not yet changed.

 

His past was still haunted by a man who wanted him dead, tortured and broken in all the ways known to wizards. A man that had already tortured him for most of life, shattering what hope Saturn now had left of a normal life. Shivering with the realization, young Saturn Malfoy barely noticed the sudden frosty damp clinging to his skin when the clouds, heavily laden with water vapour, shattered and broke with a flash of water and flashing lightning. Sitting up and making himself familiar with his surrounding, blearily forest green eyes observed the collection of finished papers at his feet with an uncertain frown of how they had gotten there. 

 

Had he really finished his summer work the night before? It was such a blur of images where he recalled Remus Lupin turning up in the library in a flash of green fire. Affectively startling both Saturn and his father by the sudden unannounced arrival. The Lord of Malfoy Manner who had been reading a complicated looking tome in his lap, occasionally turning pages as Saturn himself had thumbed through the journals he had been gifted before, had merely raised his wand in nonchalant interest before dropping it to his side again when he realized who their visitor was. Offering a nod of greeting before turning back to his work.

 

'Hullo there little one.' Remus had said fondly, brushing aside long hair and pulling Saturn into a brief embrace. Amber eyes trailing across the small elvin frame to check for injuries and unknown aches in great concern. The gaze tickled across Saturn's skin, allowing for a delighted chuckle to echo through the room. The action caused his father's silver eyes to lock with his, a gentle smile and nod was indicating approval of the werewolf before his father promptly returned his attention to the tome spread on his lap. 'I can't stay long Harry but I have brought you a few of your things. Professor Dumbledore has taken your wand in hopes of tracking you better but I have managed to get a few things that I know you may need.' Saturn had nodded his appreciation, gripping his small collection of books, parchment, securely wrapped invisibility cloak and a few galleons he had managed to save from the year before.

 

It was truly a blessing.

 

As Remus had disappeared into the depths of the night once more Saturn had, with some prompting from his father, tackled the mass of summer homework he had not yet managed to complete. It had not been an easy accomplishment to manage in only one night, yet when his two fathers had come to wish him goodnight Saturn had stayed up defiantly, ignoring their concerns for his health. Now, with things completed it offered him a bit more freedom to research his family history and his creature inheritance.

 

What Saturn had desperately hoped would not happen had happened and his dreams had been troubled, his sleep restless and with it a sense of not having gained any rest at all. Thus he valiantly fought back a yawn and gathered up his parchments and books before heading for his room. The path he had taken the night before in finding the library was partially hazy and soon the young elf got lost within the walls, making a wrong turn here and slipping down one too many staircases.

 

Saturn's aimless wandering in search of his room has managed instead to land himself outside of his father's private lab. There he found the Hogwarts Professor dutifully working over several cauldrons and bottling vials with various potions. Cutting an imposing figure, completely surrounded by his element. Dark eyes focused on nothing but his work and yet Severus Snape maintained such an omnipresent awareness of the world around him as he glanced upwards the moment Saturn had stepped closer to the entrance.

 

"Up so early already?"  

 

"Morning Dad." Saturn greeted cheerfully. Covering another yawn with the back of his hand and shaking his head to clear his jumbled thoughts. Just what has gotten into him this morning? He could barely keep his eyes open and the annoying ache building behind his eyes was anything but pleasant.  Fighting back another shudder, the young elf tried to keep his eyes focused and his mind focused but it was proving difficult for some reason. 

 

"Did you fall asleep in the library?" Severus inquired and Saturn nodded guiltily. Abruptly scowling at his father's smirk of amusement at his answer before he made to turn around. He could not bear to feel abashed by his father's amusement; he had other things on his mind. Like just how he was going to get over four years of hatred between him and his brother. Would Draco give him a chance or would his new life shatter at the seams and leave him stranded in the middle with nothing but a few pleasant memories as company? It was a grim possibility that left him nearly breathless with its implications.

 

"Did you finish you summer work?" At Saturn's affirmation, Severus stepped away from his cauldron by placing a stasis charm on the bubbling contents. Briefly tugging his son into a warm embrace before ruffling long golden hair affectionately. Tipping back a dainty chin to observe a hidden turmoil within eyes the colour of a dark forest, a turmoil he wanted to sooth but stalled himself. Instead with a slight frown tugging at his lips, he brushed away an errant strand of hair determined to hide his son's left eye from him. "You can leave those with me, I'll look them over." He indicated to the completed summer assignments, briefly wondering at the flush that decorated his son's cheeks before he tugged himself out of his arms. A stack of parchment placed in his hand as a sort of peace offering. A peace offering for what he did not know but accepted all the same.

 

"Draco and Narcissa will be here in an hour, best get ready before that. Draco will not allow that luxury once he gets here, once he has been set on visiting Diagon Alley he will get there before everyone else and leave after everyone else." Severus chuckled at his son's confused expression but chose to hide the excitement that had inflicted Draco the moment he had heard his little brother had been found, despite the initial response of disbelief he had been gradually Floo calling both Severus and Lucius for all the details, begging them not leave out a single word. He just hoped that when they finally came to face each other, both of them could see new beginnings and not the years of rivalry that had existed between the two.

 

Gazing at the clock, Saturn realized he had only enough time to get ready and sit down in the dining hall before then, so with a wave over his shoulder he finally orientated himself in the large mansion and made him way back to his room. Scratching absently at the annoying itch that transversed the scar on his forehead. He had honestly forgotten that it still existed and now that he had received a reminder of it through his nightmare, Saturn was also reminded of the past he was trying hard to forget and the betrayals that came with it. Luckily he had not seen the look of concern shadowing his father's features before Severus stepped away from his work and headed in the opposite direction of the mansion. 

 

An hour later found Saturn seated at the dining room table, halfway through a bowl of fresh yogurt, honey and platter of summer fruits when the dining hall doors opened with a dramatic creak. Dark eyes briefly lifted from his bowl to wearily observe the two figures entering the room with ease borne from years of living there. Across from Saturn, Lucius Malfoy placed his newspaper on the table before he stood and headed towards the new arrivals. His eldest son, as immaculately dressed as ever, squirming predictably under the affection of a brief embrace and whispered greetings before silver eyes, so close to the colour of their father's, locked on Saturn's forest green with barely concealed excitement.

 

A flash of something Saturn did not understand passed through their immaculate depth before Draco started towards him as if in a trance, fate tugging them closer and closer...

 

The young elf instinctively stiffened, climbing to his feet to search for the easiest path to take should things get out of hand. Eyes trained impeccably on the floor, forcing himself to find an interest that would hold his attention so that he would not have to gaze into those silvery eyes that reminded him of his father. The gentle, soothing light also there and Saturn stubbornly wanted to cling onto the last hope of sanity where they were supposed to be filled with contempt and hatred. Dragon hide boots came to a stop just in the range of Saturn's sight before a breath of surprise was forced from taxed lungs, arms, strong and certain, encircling his shoulders and pulled him tightly against a strong chest. It wasn't the gentle touches his fathers had given him, no, this was an embrace of reassurance that Saturn was really there and not just a dream. 

 

"I am so glad." The emotionally darkened voice whispered so that only Saturn could hear. "I really thought father had been lying when he said you had finally been found."  The voice whispered, gentle, full of affection and sending the youngest of the two brothers reeling with the implications. Draco was glad to see him? Glad to have a brother and all the tension and hatred between them was now only evaporated smoke of memory? Saturn whimpered, the last assurance he had sought was freely given and it was a relief. One he would never forget, so he tentatively returned the embrace even though a bit warily. A fleeting flutter of his heart an indication of happiness and peace he could not entirely explain.

 

Yet, in the dark part of his mind Saturn fought with distrust. What if Draco was only doing this to satisfy his parents and the Professor? What if all this was a lie...

 

"My beloved brother, the one I have been yearning for my entire life. Little Saturn, my littlest brother." Saturn flushed, dark eyes seeking out his father for help but Severus Snape merely gave a shrug of indifference. Abandoning the young elf to emotions he did not understand and a wariness that stiffened his shoulders and made him bite incessantly at his bottom lip. Saturn got the idea that the Potions Professor was deriving some kind of hidden pleasure from his abashed uncertainty and reaction to his brother's freely given affection. Affection that left him quite breathlessly with the strength in which it was given to him.

 

"Draco, let him go. He is not going to disappear again; you have the entire day to get to know him." A stern womanly voice declared and Saturn released a breath of relief, offering a fleeting smile and watching a smirk blossom across his brother's own features. Saturn, suddenly aware of his dishevelled state, frantically straightened his crumpled shirt and grass stained jeans in an attempt to hide his appearance and desperately prayed that Draco would take no notice to it in comparison to the immaculate way in which his newly acquired brother seemed to be dressed. Something he had a feeling was going to be forced on him that day. Brushing long hair from his eyes, Saturn took a breath and offered his hand in significant meaning between them.  

 

"Friends, brothers and a long standing truce to not harm each other at every turn?" He asked, quite shaken at the words he was speaking himself. He watched his brother's reaction to his words before his hand, instead of being shook, was carefully intertwined between warm fingers and tugged behind a wizard quite at ease with the turn of the situation. 

 

"Friends, eternal brothers and a truce," He affirmed before glancing over his shoulder at his mother's amused expression. "It's time you dressed Saturn, you cannot go to Diagon Alley looking like that."

 


 

"W-what exactly are we going to be getting today?" Saturn asked with trepidation for it seemed both Narcissa and Draco were preparing for a long day spent amongst the shops of the alley and the entertainment it had to offer. As he had never really enjoyed the tedious workings of shopping, and filled him with trepidation for this trip. Gazing expectantly at the beautiful blond woman standing at his side for an answer when she stepped out of the Leaky Cauldron Floo behind him, Saturn kept his eyes steadily on the ground when she did not answer him. He practically jumped with fright when long fingered nails brushed his chin upwards before sweeping long locks of golden silk behind his shoulders and out of his way. Her eyes, the same colour of blue as Sirius', swept her gaze across his features expectantly.

 

"Keep your chin up, your eyes staring straight ahead." She said softly. "You are a Malfoy now Saturn. Malfoy's do not show any outward awkwardness and weakness despite your abashed inherent shyness. You are going to have to start acting like one to make it convincing." Her voice was gentle and like the brush of the first of winter snow, seemingly frosted cold with admonishment but allowing for an unexpected spread of warmth to settle within his veins. Saturn could do nothing but nod absently, his infinite dark eyes trying to attain the aloofness that he had seen both Lucius and Draco adopt outside of the comfort of their home. Despite feeling as if he failed miserably when he tried to project confidence in his appearance rather than the wariness that he felt, he still forced himself to show now outward difference in his emotions.

 

"Good. Just like that, now do not forget that today nothing can rattle your defences."

 

"Come to do yer Hogwarts shopping Lady Malfoy?" A familiar voice called and the mentioned Lady turned her eyes away from the boy who she now claimed as her youngest son. He fingernails picking invisible lint from Saturn's shoulders before turning his attention to the Inn Keeper that had called out to her. She hid her own grimace at the man's appearance and waved a dismissive hand over her shoulder.

 

"Yes Tom, just a few things we will need in the coming year."

 

Narcissa's hands rested on Saturn's shoulders when she stood behind him, offering a pillar of strength that Saturn had not known he had needed until they gently curled around his shoulder, squeezing his flesh softly to calm his desperate anxiety racing through his veins. It was a touch of motherly affection, a touch Saturn had felt only a few times since accepting his new life. It was an addicting touch and even though he was not entirely sure what to make of the Lady of the Manor, he revelled in the small comfort it gave. Those thin but strong fingers kept him steady in the wake of many eyes suddenly turning on their arrival as Draco stepped out of emerald green flames.

 

Dressed in one of Draco's borrowed robes, coloured with silver silk, it pooled around his bare feet  and concealed the fact that Saturn chosen not to wear any shoes with his outfit. Considering himself lucky in that moment, rather than annoyed, that he was almost seven inches shorter than his brother. It was a sore spot for the young elf and his dainty shortness, he had struggled with it his entire life and even though he would blame the Dursley's for putting him that accursed cupboard, he had a feeling he was not meant to grow any taller despite the considerable height already present in his family.

 

The moment the taller of the two brothers' stepped closer to his side, there was a collective gasp as the eyes trained on them, realized without a doubt the likeness between the brothers. There was no way they could deny their relation anymore even if they had wanted to and for Saturn, who had lived a life in emotional poverty and pain, it was a sweet revelation racing across sensitive skin, his head tilting curiously to the side at the whispers from their audience became fevered with speculation. One whisper in particular caught his attention with unthinkable pain:

 

'The illegitimate child of Lucius Malfoy, their shame known no bounds.'

 

Absently running elegant fingers across the watery material of his borrowed robe, Saturn tried desperately to collect his scattered thoughts at the painful remark before brushing an annoying strand of hair out of his eyes. His hair, now neatly brushed and braided like a circlet of rank upon his brow, simultaneously hid the telling scar of a dark history and much to Saturn's relief, the tips of his pointed ears as well. It was a reason that his father had also confessed to keeping his hair long, a glamour could hide their ears but it sometimes it slipped and with long hair it was easier to hide their inheritance that many did not even know existed.

 

'Keep them hidden my dear Saturn, wizards and witches fear what they do not understand and cannot control.' 

 

"Um...sorry." Saturn apologized for the hate filled remarks,  barely able to control himself from flushing when Draco pulled his fingers away from fighting with the hem of his long bell sleeves. In order to distract himself and forget his tension at the situation he was thrown in, Saturn folded his arms within the comforting silk of his sleeves and hid his hands completely from view. Hoping that not being able to see them would distract him enough from not picking at a loose piece of lint in the hem. "What will we be getting today?" The question spilled from his lips a second time that morning and judging by the delighted amusement lighting Draco's mother's features, she had been waiting specifically just for that question.

 

"Let us see," Narcissa consulted a scrap of parchment in her hand absently as her wand tapped at the brick entrance of the Alley without even looking at what she was doing. "I'll be heading to Gringgotts to sort out some of the family finances, which sadly will take about the whole day knowing their slow service. You and Draco have the day to explore, buy an entire wardrobe for you, and finding a new wand yet untraced by the Headmaster and Ministry." Saturn frowned at the last item on the list, a new wand? He had forgotten that the Headmaster had taken his in order to 'search' for him better, yet how he had gotten in Saturn did not know as he was sure he had had it last when Remus took him to Professor Snape. Could the werewolf have accidentally taken it back with him to sell the story of his abduction outside of the Leaky Cauldron.

 

Turning his attention to Narcissa once more he tugged at her sleeve before she could glide off to the bank.

 

"W-will I definitely be returning to Hogwarts this year then?" She seemed to think over the question for a moment before nodding.

 

"Lucius told me so this morning, you will be returning under you true name as a new student. Even if the Headmaster may be the only one to recognize you, he cannot do anything to you in the castle with those many students and faculty members. Besides Draco will be with you every step of the way, he will not let anything happen to you." As if to calm the panic she saw building in Saturn's eyes, she brushed her across his cheekbone in a brief touch of comfort.

 

"Do not concern yourself with the details, we will work everything out before you leave."

 

"Thank you." Saturn whispered with a grateful nod, a breath of relief leaving his lips when she confirmed what he had wanted to hear. His father and bearer had only mentioned it in passing to him the night before but now that he definitely knew, it took a great weight off of his shoulders that he would have more this year to spend with Professor Snape. For Saturn had noticed the Professor was busy whenever he arrived at the Manor and barely had time to stay long before his presence was required back at Hogwarts. The only thing that truly worried him, even though Narcissa had told him not to, was his said protection against the Headmaster. Would he really be safe when he was to enrol under his real name? Should Dumbledore not already know that he had found his true inheritance? Would he take it away from him again?

 

He shuddered at his own unanswered questions. They were worrying enough without answers and with answers, Augustus Saturnus Malfoy-Snape was too afraid to face them for the small possibility that he would lose everything he had come to hold dear by a silly mistake that could have been avoided. He was balancing on the edge of a precipice that in one wrong step, he would plummet to his death and never again wake up from it. It was a sensation was wearing him out and if it were not soothed soon, he was sure he was going to go insane with the 'what if's'.

 

"Draco please do not forget to gather all the books you will need for school this year. Your father is at the ministry should you need him, you have his emergency Floo number and be sure not to overspend on silly things. If there is any extra books that Saturn may want for himself, get them for him. He seems to have a love a books more than you do." Narcissa's voice startled Saturn out of his thoughts and before he could ask her what her statement meant, her clicking heals formally walked towards them, lips brushed against their foreheads in parting before she disappeared into the reaches of the Alley.

 

"You know the rules, please keep to them." She left behind in her wake a sheepish looking Draco, a stunned Saturn and a few curious eyes observing the three of them without shame as to being caught staring. Draco, who flushed at the attention, seemed to have been chastised completely by parting kiss. He seemed to regain his range of motion after a few moments when he rolled his eyes in exasperation and started walking towards to end of the Alley. Tugging his brother behind him for a few feet before he could seem to walk on his own again as they disappeared into the far reaches of the Wizarding World's thriving centre of important shops.

 

The two month older Wizard muttered a four letter curse beneath his breath that shocked Saturn, who in turn enjoying himself briefly by allowing a building chuckle to spill from his lips. Yet, at his brother's deadly glare he closed his mouth and pretended he did not see Draco's uncomfortable and awkward stance after his mother had glided into the distance. Moments later when their footsteps led them to the Southside of Diagon Alley, Saturn found his amusement rapidly vanishing.

 

An ancient building, stained with time and age, rose from the ashes of the pavement, much like a dark shadow creeping across the stone marking an important grave begging not to be forgotten. It was solid in its appearance, rather frightening with its intensity of meaning and sturdy enough that the weathering of time did not dare to touch the hallowed silhouette ii cast upon the earth in any way. It was a tattoo of life that would still linger there till time no longer existed or the memory of its existence was completely forgotten and lost.

 

 

Ollivander's Wand Shop

Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C

 

 

The sign above the door proudly proclaimed a history far more advanced than the stylized building. Leaving behind quite the historical record of ownership and established wand making since the beginnings of life. Saturn, having not returned to this side of the Alley since his first year, once again felt himself in awe of his surrounding and the new discoveries just waiting for his acknowledgment. It was a nostalgic brush of one of his most cherished memories. The only grief he could feel keenly was the realization that the loss of his phoenix feather wand he was very real. The wand he had formed an attachment to and felt as if he owed it his service, he fruitlessly hoped to once again feel its weight in his hand when he knew it would become an impossibility.

 

"Are you coming in dear brother or are you going to keep gawking?" Draco called, ruthlessly awakening Saturn from his thoughts as he was tugged into the shop by a magnetic force governing his every move. Above the door a bell sounded the arrival of customers in the shop and Saturn kept his flushed cheeks turned away from praying eyes, where his brother casual remark had lighted them in mortification at being caught staring. Notable footsteps seemed to echo from the back, drawing closer and closer just as Saturn noticed his heart rate spiking at the approach to the front of the shop.

 

"Ah, 10'' Hawthorn, unicorn hair core, eternally pure wrapped in darkness. Draconis Lucius Acacius Malfoy eldest son of Elvin Prince Lucius Abraxus Malfoy. I have been expecting you since the beginning of the summer young man. Especially the guest you have brought with you, our fair little Augustus Saturnus Malfoy. 11'' Holly, phoenix feather core, subtle, gentle but also deceptively strong. However, I suspected that your wand would not long hold its affinity once Harry Potter's true inheritance was discovered and your magic started changing." Saturn, who had absently cast his eyes across the boxes and boxes of wands rising to the ceiling, felt his world come crashing around his ears at the rambling words of the ancient man across from them. This old man, so strangely omnipotent in his knowledge, had already recognized him and his true identity.

 

His hand automatically made for his forehead to check that his scar was still hidden beneath his hair when Ollivander's chuckle stained the air at his chuckle.

 

"Fear not little one, the wands have been whispering of your inheritance since the beginning of the summer. I only knew you would be visiting me soon. It has been a long time since I have come across a woodland elf so pure of heart and fair of features. Much like your grandmother. It seems only yesterday she bought her first wand here and her mother before her. Time is fleeting within these walls."

 

"Please Mr. Ollivander, you cannot tell anyon-."

 

"Do not fret fair little elf, no one truly listens to a rambling old man. Your secret is safe with me. Now what can I help you with today?" Feeling momentarily appeased by the shopkeeper's promise to keep his secret, Saturn stepped towards the counter. Pulling his bottom lip between his teeth as he stared deeply into Draco's eyes, looking for help in approaching the situation when his brother merely shrugged and walked to the other side of the room, silvery eyes observing the more famous of wandlore posters decorating the walls. 

 

"I need a new wand,"

 

"I know. And fair little elf may I ask for a strand of your hair?" Saturn was momentarily thrown by question.

 

"My hair?"

 

"Yes. For woodland elves of your purity and lineage, a wand needs to be made from scratch with a strand of your own hair. It will forever be loyal only to you, and far more useful that a wand made for ordinary Wizarding. So sweet and supple the wand with be for not even the ministry and enemies could track its or the magic it channels."

 

"If you give a strand of hair to me now and three drops of your blood, I will finish your wand in a few hours time." Intrigued by the request but listening to the wand maker all the same. Saturn tugged three strands of long hair from his head and handing it over to the older man. Offering his thumb to the needle Ollivander held out to him in askance of his blood. Three drops, just as promised, dripped into a tony vial before he sealed the three strands of hair in the blood.  

 

"For these three strands of hair so graciously given by you young Prince, I will create three wands. One only for you and two others that a wizard or witch may need one day." Saturn stared at the place where the old man had stood only moments before for what seemed like a long time. He did not know what to make of the conversation or his new wand but as the door was tugged open and a first year, late in shopping for his school supplies entered, Saturn turned his attention to Draco who seemed to be staring at him from a distance. A familiar sneer greeted the first yer before Saturn beckoned him outside.

 

"We don't have all day Po-. Saturn, there is still a whole lot of shopping to do and next is a new wardrobe."

 


 

"Draco please," Saturn begged his brother to slow down. He was so tired, all the energy that had brimmed over in his shimmering skin and made him giddy with happiness that morning at the prospect of getting out, had faded within the third hour spent in Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions. For more than three hours he had been forced to try on: new robes of exceptional quality, dragon hide boots, dress shoes, high end Muggle clothing that the Madam also kept in her shop, polo shirts long and short sleeved, jeans, slacks, hoodies, trainers, prod and poked for three new perfectly tailored school uniforms of the highest quality not yet marked with a house symbol and two winter cloaks with a platinum clasp in the front of two beautifully bloomed roses twined together in eternal embrace.

 

And that had only been the beginning. By the end of their time spent at the shop Saturn had shuddered at the greedy gaze Madam Malkin had offered the two brothers and the sweet smile that spoke volumes of her happiness at their expansive shopping trip that she threw in three extra pairs of free silk scarves she said would look great with Saturn's fair skin on formal nights. It was a pile of clothes carefully rung up and spread through more than ten shopping bags, leaving  Saturn too afraid to even ask for the total or protest at the sheer numbers. When she had offered to deliver the large purchase to the Manor, they had happily agreed, for even with shrunken packages they would not have enough space to carry the load with them for the whole day.

 

Saturn was just about to protest when she not too discreetly told Draco the purchase total but the young Malfoy Heir merely waved her off before she could finish. A dismissive hand easily silencing her with a barely concealed glare of annoyance. And in seeing Saturn's adverse reaction he had briefly glanced in the young elf's direction with a reassuring smile and a nod. It was a smile Saturn had not seen grace his brother's features before but found becoming on handsome features all the same. Hoping to see more of it...

 

'The price does not matter, Saturn. Father would happily pay for anything you may need, even to dress you in the finest, most expensive clothes money and fame can buy. It is his pride to dress his sons so immaculately and show off his beloved children's existence to the world. Besides it's not like he cannot afford this, take it as an expression of his love for you.' Draco had shrugged at his last words before saying his last goodbye's to the Madam. Saturn, despite not enjoying the attention and amount of expensive clothes, was from then on appeased by his brother's seeming endless spending. Cringing internally in sympathy for their shared father, for Merlin knows no man will enjoy giving money out to such a ridiculous extent. However, after another lengthy stop at the Apothecary for the year's potions ingredients, Saturn was just about ready to collapse from exhaustion and scream in sheer frustration when Draco told him they were not yet half way through their work at the Alley.

 

With painful breaths pushing and tugging wetly against overtaxed lungs and strained ribs, it soon reminded young Saturn that he was not yet completely healed from his relatives' heavy hands and abuse. He seemed to have stupidly forgotten how being surrounded by so many people ate away at his energy and control more than he could remember before, for the semblance of normality he had managed to school his features to reflect was beginning to fade with a scowl of anger flickering across his forehead. 

 

They were hopefully heading for their last shop before taking a small break to settle his exhaustion but Saturn stilled with a breath of exasperation and bemoaned his fate. He was never going to get any rest when they finally entered Flourish & Botts. Even with the remote possibility that he could find a nice chair to relax in amongst inanimate objects with the ability to take him away into different worlds of his imagination Saturn did not believe that his brother would afford him enough time to get acquainted with a single book. Running experimental fingertips across the numerous spines of heavy books, the young wizarding elf shuddered at the distinct pleasure that they offered him now. For within their numerous pages he could find respite and rest, a sanctuary that he loved more than anything else and never even realized their importance to him before. 

 

It was a new obsession Saturn had not truly realized and appreciated before, finally understanding Hermione's fascination with books and all they had to offer. However, thoughts of his forgotten past and the friends that had been swept away in the confusion tugged now painfully at the tip of his heart. He did not know if they knew the truth of his past, were told about it by the Headmaster or soon would know that all he had ever been was a terrible lie shattered with hundred of betrayals.

 

What would they do when they realized he was a Malfoy? One now quite happily placed within his family, not caring what the world thought of him or even attempting to fight against fate in hopes to cling to his old life. What would they do? Surely they too would still hate him more than anything when he returned to school. Just like Gryffindors are set against Slytherins. His family could not have been more Slytherin than they were and neither could he, he realized when he found blending into a new background far more easily than what should have been normal. 

 

'They will definitely hate me now.' He thought mournfully to himself, hastily turning stinging eyes away from the section of shelves in search of his brother who seemed to have disappeared ahead of him. Pulling his newly bought cloak around his frame with a shiver of cold when the clap of thunder resounded outside, the young elf returned to the side of Draco, whishing he had not strayed into such dark thoughts. He finally found Draco in the third row of bookshelves close to the school textbooks, already collecting double of all the books they would indefinitely need for the coming year. After seeing his brother's frown at his haste in collecting school books Saturn offered a shrug, wondering for what reason his brother seemed to intent in leaving quickly. 

 

"I may be top of the year Saturn and study hard but that does not mean that I like it all. However, since you seem to like books as much as Uncle Severus, why don't I leave you here whilst I go run a few errands for Mother?" With that said he pushed his stack of books in Saturn's arms and headed for the doors in hurrying footsteps after making sure Saturn had the supplies list. His fleeing footsteps amused the younger of the two as Saturn noted it looked as if Draco was running from a miniature dragon biting at breathing fire at his ankles. With a small chuckle he eventually collected the rest of them before setting a rather large stack of books by the feet of an unused chair. Quickly headed through the bookshop to pick up all other private books that would capture his sole interest.

 

With titles like: Elves & Fae: The Line of Royalty, Elvin Inheritance; An Introspective Look, Musical Masterpieces Sculpted by Nature and Understanding the Control of Elemental Elves, Saturn was sure to soon be whisked away into a world of information his father had yet had the time to explain to him. Besides as a Woodland Elf, he felt he had a right to know exactly what his creature inheritance would offer him. Soon though he was already buried deep into a book that he did not noticed his brother walk by the shop several times towards several different destination or the subtle change in the weather outside. The light drizzle and storm clouds suddenly shifted to an ominous presence hanging heavily over the shops of Diagon Alley. The happiness of many of the consumers vanishing with the approach of quite the storm.

 

Feeling the shift in the atmosphere though, Saturn allowed a small sigh of contentment to spread across his lips as the misty humidity pleasantly tickled across sensitive skin. A brush of anticipation licking at his heart as a strange need to be outside enveloped his limbs in vibrating ecstasy. When the first fat raindrop finally raced towards the dry pavement at nature's behest, Saturn turned his head to the window. Having clearly heard the call of joy from both the rain and the earth beneath his still bare feet planted on a soft carpet. It was sweet rapture, the gentle reprieve settling across his body and Saturn wanted nothing more than to slip into a trance and tickle the strings of his harp.

 

Ignoring the race of booted feet to find shelter and the various shouts from outside, Saturn read on in absolute peace. More at ease with himself now that nature's more powerful breath was whispering sweet things in his ear. Little stories of times long past that only he could understand and beating a melody of need to be outside against his ear that was almost impossible to ignore. His fingers absently tapped at the edge of the now closed book in his lap, his concentration long having fled with a melody building inside of his mind. His fingers, never still, wanted nothing more than to explore and play the instrument that waited for him at home.

 

The patter against the roof, the cries of ecstasy from the wind and willows miles off were like a soothing balm to a tortured soul and Saturn did not open his eyes until he was suddenly disturbed from his joyous day dream.

 

"Enjoying yourself there fair little elf?"

 

"Mr Ollivander?" Saturn asked, ready to stand up to greet the man when the wand maker merely shook his head and walked forward, offering the elf his completed wand with a smile of pride and courage. Many eyes turned towards them suddenly but Saturn ignored them, for the feeling of smooth wood gracing the palm of his hand was the sweetest feeling he had not felt in a long time. A briar vine with blood red roses crept across his hand without digging thorns into his skin when he bonded with the wand. A flash of gold and white roses suddenly blossoming from the tip to shower the room with multicoloured rose petals.

 

"I do not usually step out of my shop, especially with the last group of first years sure to be looking for new wands but for you little Prince, I will make an exception. She is finally finished," Having a more careful look at the wand Saturn decided easily that it was the most beautiful one he had ever seen. The craftsmanship superb, the detail uncannily lifelike and even the colour of the wood, varnished to perfection offered a natural shade so dark it seemed almost black and yet dancing in a shaft of light it was more the deepened red of a perfectly ripened cherry. Along the hilt were carved twining and weaving briars blossoming with perfectly formed roses. Their petals painted white and gold with steady hand adding only character to the beauty that already existed there.

 

It was perfect and it was just for him. 

 

"11 and a 1/2'' Cherry Tree, Blood Soaked Elf Hair core. A fair wand for a fair and pure little elf with a big heart and an affinity to flutter about the unchangeable fates to do the impossible. Look after her well Young Master Malfoy, for she will serve you very well. Very well indeed when in times where it is called for it in desperate need. "

 

"Always remember fair little Prince; the most fair and beautiful of roses often hide the biggest thorns. Never doubt the power that runs through your veins nor the blood that had gifted it." After several moment of not knowing what to say, Saturn tucked the wand into one of the robes pockets carefully and waved goodbye to Mr Ollivander. Relieved that in his hands once more rested the affirmation that he was still a wizard and had not yet lost the part of his magic he had enjoyed for most of his life. It was a coveted dream that whispered across his skin in pure relief. 

 

"Thank you." He whispered, knowing that the old man would hear his true gratitude even though he had long left the bookstore. After once more running his fingers across the tip of the wand, Saturn felt his heart settle and the deepest reaches of his soul relax. His magical core getting rid of its incessant tension building off of fear and anxiety. Saturn picked up his books and went to the counter, deciding that the earlier they finished their shopping, the earlier he could go home and visit not only his harp but tell his fathers all about what had happened. 

 


 

"Finally decided to join the land of the living?" Draco teased as Saturn walked leisurely beneath the drops of rain descending from sky. He had barely stepped out of the bookshop before his brother had spotted him. Saturn smiled, in his pocket laid his newly purchased books, a brand new wand and inside his chest was the beat of a heart that was rested and content. The longer he walked beneath the falling rain, the more at ease he became with his surroundings and more aware of the whispers echoing in his mind pleasantly. It was like every rain drop had a tiny little voice calling out to him, offering comfort when they touched his skin and sat like droplets of diamonds in his hair. Saturn was not even cold, in fact the uncomfortable heat he had been feeling since the start of the day, dissipated rapidly as his happiness once again shone through his skin in an iridescent shine.

 

The simple reaction to rain was something that stunned his brother Draco quite spectacularly. Sadly he had not inherited his father's creature side but rather his mother's more cold and sharp disposition to the world. However many a times had seen his father's skin give off the same shimmer of opalescent light, it was a claim to the families royal lineage in the elvin realm where their internal power was so great that an inner light, magical and beautiful all the same, was practically visible through their skin when they became filled with bliss at nature's caress or even experienced great distress to use their internal magic as a shield. 

 

Young Saturn though, too content to stray from out the gentle caress of the rain, strolled along the pathway not far behind his unusually silent brother breathed a sigh of relief when he led them towards Rosa Lee's Teabag. Finally, Saturn could nourish a warm cup of tea before Narcissa came to collect them for a late afternoon lunch. It was a small relief though that even when he felt rested, most of the concerns for the days had already been taken care of.

 

Distracted by a sudden flash of thunder and a strangled cry of despair from the tree it hit, Saturn shivered with the pain he had no idea he too could feel if he became so aware of his surroundings. Preferring to keep his eyes trained on the ground in order to regain the composure he had momentarily lose in surprise, the young elf did not dare look up unless someone saw the flash of pain streaking across his features. That however did not bode well for Saturn as his body was suddenly forced to a halting stop, reeling internally when he collided with someone else. Books, a wand and a pack of quills adhering to the rules of gravity scattered to the ground as the two equally startled teenagers fell to the ground with soft thumps. Hair falling over his shoulder to touch the dirty ground, Saturn dazedly got to his feet, feeling as if he had hit his somewhere even though he could not remember it.

 

"Sorry." He mumbled quietly, gripping the side of his head as he scrambled to get to his knees.

 

"Careful Saturn! Are you alright?" it was Draco's voice that brought his back to himself and he finally lifted forest green eyes to look at who had walked into.

 

Momentarily dazed at the sudden pain erupting across his ribs, Saturn breathed out a startled breath, trying to take in what exactly it was that he saw before him. A flush of mortification suddenly erupted across his cheeks. His fingers valiantly fumbled hastily to collect the stack of books she must have been carrying before offering her, her bag of quills, a wand she must have dropped and a box of unopened Berty Bott's Every Flavoured Beans that had luckily not spilled in its tumble. The young elf stilled completely though the moment forest green eyes locked with a pair of silvery grey so intense with their whimsical shimmer of happiness that inside of him there twisted something quite painful and erupted a swarm of butterflies to flutter in his stomach. 

 

Her hair, even though straggly and slightly curly, fell to her waist in a natural flutter, conforming itself around her robed figure in a curtain of dirty blond that only added to her astounding beauty. The likes of which young Saturn had never seen or bothered took notice of before. Protuberant eyes, beautiful in their extraordinary colour, offered a look of permanent surprise carved upon her gentle brow and a thin but curved wraith like figure, two inches shorter than him when she finally stood, nearly stole his breath.

 

To his eyes, despite her far away whimsical look, she was absolutely beautiful and he once again averted his eyes should she see his pink cheeks. He cursed his bearer's pale skin for he too had inherited it and it showed clearly when he was flustered, just as he was now fighting to regain control of his dignity. His hands almost absentmindedly reaching for the hem of his robe to pick at the peace of lint that had distracted him earlier when he wished to be anywhere but where he was.

 

"I apologize, I was not looking where I was going." He whispered, momentarily caught off guard by his heart that was beating a painful tattoo against his chest. She merely offered him a whimsical but gratuitous smile, her fingers suddenly reaching forward when he helped her to her feet, tugging softly at awry strands of his long hair in fascination. There was a whisper of awe upon her brow as she run the lock of hair through her fingers. When young Saturn, too stunned to move by her boldness, swallowed hard, her  gentle fingertips reached up to trace the shell of his ear and stopped at the tip. 

 

"When Daddy brought me out shopping today I never thought I would see a living willow elf born of royal lineage before my very eyes. My name is L-."

 

"Luna?! Luna where are you honey? We need to leave." Luna as she was called, pulled her hand away from Saturn's ear before she pulled back completely and turned around after offering the elf another of her beautiful smiles. Luna, a fitting name Saturn decided for she was as fleetingly silver as the rays of the moon with the gentle mood to match. Her sudden absence left the young Woodland elf quite startled and rooted to the spot. He light pattering footsteps carrying her away gracefully towards a taller man possessing hair much like hers. There were only the vestiges of a soft song tickling his ears before she disappeared out of sight. Leaving Saturn feeling quite lost as he stood in the middle of the street, kissed with droplets of rain as the sun finally broke through the barrier of clouds.

 

"Are you okay Saturn? Need any help?" Draco's sharp call finally drew Saturn back to himself and he shuddered suddenly, shaking off the daze that seemed to have rooted him to spot. At his brother's smug smile of knowing, Saturn scowled and glided towards the teashop. His robes billowing out around him, much like his bearer when he was angry. He missed the knowing smile spreading across his brother's lips or the womanly figure observing the scene from a distance away with an expression likened to womanly intuition. 


To be continued...
End Notes:
Just a quick after note: I elaborated more on Luna’s first description in Harry Potter for I think it did not really do her character justice but I hope to have achieved a more gentle outlook.

Anyways, I’ll see guys soon.

Faithfully Yours:

Emerald Raven


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2892