Atramentous Distortion by Emerald Raven
Summary: It's close to the start of the Harry's fifth year when he receives a mysterious letter on his fifteenth birthday. The contents, strange and confusing claims that his true parents were not Lily and James Potter.

This starts a series of events that reveals not only a fifteen year old guarded secret, but one that is much, much older. One that changes not only Harry's life forever, but Professor Snape's and Lucius Malfoy's as well. It's the start of something new where enemies become allies and allies enemies.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hedwig, Hermione, Lily, Lucius, Luna, McGonagall, Narcissa, Neville, Remus, Shacklebolt, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Creature!fic, Resorting, Vampires
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Romance/Het, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Prompts: My Mum Severus Snape
Challenges: My Mum Severus Snape
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 75923 Read: 80417 Published: 27 Dec 2012 Updated: 22 Feb 2013
Chapter 7: A Dreaded Meeting With the Headmaster by Emerald Raven
Author's Notes:
Thank you for the continued support and I am glad to know this story is still loved, it really means a lot that people are still reading and willing to rate and review. This chapter, although a joy to write, was a nasty ankle biter that was chewing at me the whole week. Anyways just a reminder:

This story updates every Thursday night between 10:00 – 11:00 and with the validation period, it will show around Friday or Saturday depending on your time zone away from New Zealand.

Thanks CarlinPaddy; I am glad you seem to enjoy my story as I enjoy writing it just as much. Thanks for your heartfelt response, it means a lot and I hope you can continue to find your joy here. Now on we go to another chapter with a lot of Severus Saturn moments. Hope you like!

Three days had gone past, three full days spent going in and out of classes, exploring the library in a new light with Luna and trekking through the Hogwarts grounds on pins and needles; desperately anxious and afraid of what was to come, of knowing that it was only a matter of time before the Headmaster was to corner him. It left young Saturn quite exhausted, fevered with apprehension and constantly fighting his newly found instinct to try and find comfort from his father, something that could both be dangerous for the both of them if he were to give in. That night, just before the clock struck eleven, his quill scratching thoughtfully across a parchment headed carefully for his father's subject discussion on Moonstone Properties, everything seemed to still the moment it finally did happened.

 

The small reprieve Saturn had found in throwing himself headlong into his school work, patiently improving his potions skills with Draco's help after classes and grateful that his father seemed nicer in class, well not nice, he just did not single Saturn out as much as he had before. His brief happiness in finding calm in his fifth year was shattered into a thousand pieces with the mere flash of blinding white flame. Saturn had a very brief glimpse of Fawkes the Phoenix before a carefully sealed envelope dropped in his lap, another flash later and there was no indication that the phoenix had visited the common room at all. Casting a furtive glance across the Ravenclaw common room for late night straggler, Saturn was glad to breathe a sigh of relief in its empty state. Saturn in turn was soon close to losing control of emotions again when he worried his bottom lip between his teeth, staring apprehensively at the innocent looking letter resting in his lap. Silent trepidation bubbled over in his suddenly lax fingers, dropping his quill to the floor and dragging an ugly stripe of ink across the parchment.

 

The dip and curl of the elegant script was one Saturn recognized almost immediately; fingers trembling and afraid as he shattered the red Hogwarts seal on the back of the envelope. He did not know what to expect and in his trembling anxiety, Saturn found that his eyes had to scan the parchment several times to make sure that what he was reading was true. It may have only been a short missive, in a roundabout manner, telling him to visit the Headmaster in his office for a friendly chat the next morning. However, the mere idea of being alone with the old man set Saturn on desperate edge as he read the contents once again, looking for a false motive that would separate him from his family.  

 

'To the Attention of one Mr Augustus Malfoy:

 

As a new student to our established institution, I fear there is much to discuss yet in your stay and welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I would very much enjoy your company for a cup of tea tomorrow afternoon when classes finish at 17:30 to discuss your transition into the different schooling system.

 

In hopes of you satisfying my behest; I look forward to our meeting.

 

Your Eternal Servant,

 

Albus Percival Wulfric Brain Dumbledore,

 

Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

 

P.S For the record, I truly enjoy the taste of chocolate éclairs.'

 

Saturn shivered as his legs shakily raised him from his seat, the wooden chair he had just occupied scraping across the floor harshly. The sound, a hollow screech in his ears that set Saturn on edge with the abrupt meaning behind those words. The Headmaster knew and wanted to see him alone. Alone, where Dumbledore could easily corner him, Obliviate his memories and force him back into the Harry Potter persona against his will. In his sudden frantic movement, testament of Saturn's grace and inherent stealth, the elf's footsteps were quiet but rushed; treading carefully upon the stone staircase in hopes of not awakening the students who had already fallen into the clutches of deep sleep for the night.

 

Upon entering his dormitory, Saturn was eternally grateful that the curtains around the other fifth year boys' beds were all drawn shut, only a light flickering from one of the curtains hinted that one of the boys' were reading. It made it so much easier for Saturn to hastily dive into his trunk, throw his Invisibility Cloak across his shoulders and rush out of the Ravenclaw common room without another sign.

 

Ignoring the indigent squawk of the brass eagle as he flew through the common room door, Saturn soon found himself running with panting breaths down the spiral staircases, across the many different corridors with only one destination in mind. Turning hastily down the correct hallways, rushing past an endless expanse of locked classrooms, empty alcoves and dodging the more dangerous of moving staircases as easily as he found himself orientated in any forest he were to wander into, Saturn was glad that the night was approaching midnight, the hallways were almost always completely deserted.

 

His cloak, even though fluttering behind him in a rush of iridescent material, kept him well hidden from the prefects stalking the hallways on their last patrol,  even managing to glide past Professor McGonagall reprimanding a first year for being out of bed without her even noticing his rushing presence fleetingly flitting past her like a soft breeze. His heart, beating a frantic tattoo against his chest, surged now painfully as he flew down a well trodden path to the deep dungeons of Hogwarts. The moonlight, ethereal and breathtaking, streaming in from the few windows decorating the castle walls, lighting the grey stone with silvery sheen before reaching out its gentle tendrils to almost brush absently against Saturn's hidden skin in a loving caress.

 

The moon, keeping silent vigil in the sky, was high in its vast blanket of night surrounded by endless luminaries, an ethereal figure Saturn would have taken comfort in if not for his pain and hidden panic rushing through his veins. Instead, now its presence incessantly chased the young elf's pain and panic to new peaks as he did not stop once to take a breath. Not even when his breath was rasping painfully against his chest and begging him for a short break. Saturn however, needed to see his father for there was no way he was going to so much as attempt to step into the Headmaster's office alone, no. Not this time, not ever. Not without his bearer and the support he offered endlessly, silently, like a pillar of eternal strength. 

 

It was a few minutes later that Saturn stilled in front of his father's office, his mind racing as he slipped the invisibility cloak from his shoulders. Forest green eyes frantically glancing from one side of the empty corridor to the other, making sure that there was not a single soul there to see him. Strands of long hair slipping from his braid swayed with chilling breeze as he froze, a concerned frown to tugging at his lips in the imagined sound of footsteps heading in his direction. Yet when no one came into sight, Saturn allowed a small breath of relief to rush past his lips, eternally grateful that the entire corridor was deserted. Making sure to knock several times once there was no answer, Saturn allowed for an exasperated sigh to speed past his defences. His fingers absently running against the wall as he silently counted the next few doors. One....two....three...

 

'If you should ever need me and I am not present in my office or brewing chambers, I will be in my quarters. Three doors down from my office, next to a large portrait of Salazar Slytherin lies the arched doorway hidden behind an illusion. Place your hand on the wood of the door, the blood wards will let you in. However, when you come make sure that no one sees you.' Now as Saturn stilled in front of the elaborately carved door, shimmering into existence next to the painting as he pressed his hand against the illusionary wall, forest green eyes flickered towards the beautifully painted portrait of a regal, tall man sitting in a green and silver chair. Snakes carefully carved around the feet of the chair, reaching towards its master like blooming briars. 

 

Those eyes were so dark and depthless, that Saturn had difficulty discerning their colour or understanding the emotion that seemed to flicker across their endless fathoms. Silently observing the young Woodland Elf through a curtain of long pitch black hair, the same length of Saturn's. His expression now straining the uncomfortable silence with curious contemplation and a strange, indescribable frown. The small white snake that was coiled tightly in its master's lap, raised its head as long elegant fingers stroked its scales almost absently, turning its beady little black eyes on Saturn with narrowed contempt at their disturbance.

 

"Can I help you little Ravenclaw? The Potions Master is now officially off of the duty roster, I also do not have any instructions to let you in or any student for that matter." Saturn jumped almost a foot high in surprise at the reedy voice suddenly calling out to him accusingly, his attention flickering towards the door where he had laid his hand upon the ebony wood. Yelping indigently when a sudden flash of pain raced across his palm, the sensation of blood trickling across his palm and wrist causing the elf to tug back his limb and cradle it against his chest, scowling at the portrait with contempt as if it was his fault. A scowl, in likeness to his surly father's, furrowed his brow in anger. At least the Potions Master could have warned him that his stupid door would be drinking his blood, perhaps he would have been more prepared in what to expect. It was almost inconceivable to think he had actually had to shed blood in order to enter blood wards...

 

"I wasn't under the impression that I had to make an appointment to see the Professor," Saturn seethed. He was not in the mood to be interrogated by a portrait. "He had after all gave me permission to enter withou-." Saturn was suddenly interrupted by the a shimmer of light engulfing the door, its lock sliding silently out of place and automatically  opening the door without a loud creak. The young elf, startled and stunned by the reaction, gazed open mouthed as the ominous black door open wide in its invitation.  Beckoning him inside where the light from several sconces on the wall were already lit, showing the pathway inside.  Just before Saturn was able to step inside though he overheard something he was not supposed to and stilled abruptly with shock...

 

~Masster! Look, look! The door issss opening...only thossse of like blood can ennterr...he mussst be the lossst childe... the one....~

 

"No! No, no, no, no! Please you cannot let anyone know! No one is supposed to know my father has a child! He'll be in so much danger; I cannot risk being the cause of it! Please!" Saturn suddenly shouted in panic, cheeks flushing as those dark eyes that had been so unreadable before, turned upon him with widened shock and a gentleness Saturn had not seen before. The regal nose turning up ever so slightly as the white snake stared at Saturn with something akin to surprise. Its head swaying from side to side, tongue tasting the air and both of them shamelessly taking in every detail of the young elf in clear excitement.

 

~He sssspeaksss...he speakssss massster...~

 

"You speak little one?" Salazar asked, suddenly sounding much gentler and Saturn, in realization of what he had done, cringed visibly. Staring hopefully at the opened door as an escape, he really needed to see his father...

 

"Yes, but not of choice, Master Slytherin. Now please can I go? I really, really need to see my father." Without waiting for an answer and silently promising himself to apologize to the founder for his rudeness when he came back out, Saturn headed into his father's private domain. His heart clenching and unclenching in his chest as the door slid shut behind him with a hollow click, a long stretch of a narrow stone hallways enclosing him from all sides as he trudged the path towards his salvation.

 

"D-dad? Are you here? Are you awake? Dad?" Saturn called, breathing a sigh of relief when the chilly air and the very narrow passageway opened to a much larger and much more inviting antechamber. All trace of the dungeons fading the moment he stepped into the wider room, it was constructed much like a common room. Filled with several bookcases, ceiling to floor, two divans's facing each other around two overstuffed armchairs of black velvet. A large fireplace, already lit, flickered between a white and red glow illuminating the room along with several perfectly controlled balls of light dancing across the ceiling with perfect light.

 

Casting the silent figure, stretched happily in one of the armchairs, skin aglow with golden light and turning silver over the few scars Saturn could see once the black robes were dropped and the crisp white shirt beneath rolled up. A descent coffee table in dark wood was decorated with a cup of cocoa and a container of honey, several potion vials still full, standing innocently in an ascending row of size.

 

"D-dad?" Saturn breathed, gasping when those dark eyes snapped open at his call. Staring over the top of a large tome, carefully taking in his son's appearance with confusion before understanding dawned upon those usually severe features and they immediately softened, the dark wand that had been drawn in defence now falling to his side. Beckoning the young elf forward as he too stood. Opening his arms in invitation for a fatherly embrace, brushing long fingers, much the founder's in the portrait, through long golden locks coming undone from a long braid in the child's obvious distress of tugging at it. 

 

"Saturn? Whatever is the matter? Its past midnight already...are you hurt?"

 


 

"D-dad? I don't know what to do." Saturn breathed into his father's chest, hating the sound of his whining lodging in his throat only to melt the moment his father's warm, and rapidly becoming familiar, arms circled his shoulders in the comfort he had been craving since abstaining from it at his arrival at Hogwarts. The concerns that had been eating away at his soul the last few weeks and the added stress of the past three days in constant panic in anticipation of this moment and still being separated from his family, suddenly collapsed under the gentle touch of his bearer. Despite the abrupt touch of concern at the Headmaster's letter wracking undisguised shivers across his skin, Saturn felt a lump of emotion stubbornly searing across the back of his throat. Just stopping short of actually allowing water to gather at the corner of his eyes in mocking play of his stubborn control.

 

He would not crumble now, it was still too early in the year to shatter beneath the pressure, he would no-.

 

"I could perhaps answer you, my child, if you only told me what was bothering you?" Flushing in embarrassment at the sudden reminder that he had just stormed into his father's private quarters, trembling with unknown emotions without so much as offering a single reason for his visit and then falling into his arms, shamelessly taking the offered comfort like a starved child. Fumbling with his jean's back pocket, Saturn retracted a crumpled piece of parchment and tentatively handed it over to his father's fingers, already patiently extended in their wait. He raised no voice of protest as the Potions Master nodded, leading him absently over to the black velvet couch that seemed strangely familiar; sinking gratefully into the soft cushion as Saturn's sudden exhaustion pulled a stifled yawn from his lips. Only now realizing how tired he was, how exhausted these three days of a sporadic sleep affected him. 

 

There was not a single change in his father's expression however as he scanned the letter, glancing over the top every now and then to observe Saturn before he absently placed it back on the table after having straightened the creases as a distraction. It was within his dark eyes that Saturn saw a change though, sinking into the cushions next to his son and saying nothing for a long time. Saturn could already see that his father's brilliant mind racing through a thousand scenarios in keeping his son safe from the clutches of the Headmaster. However, it was no lie that both of them were extremely curios as to how Headmaster Dumbledore would justify his actions now that the truth was out in the open.

 

"D-dad?" With a sigh, Severus tugged the little elf closer to his side after having poured a cup of cocoa from the small teapot. Having sweetened it to Saturn's taste and placing the steaming cup in the elf's fingers, he watched as his child became absorbed in his drink. Saturn, now too content to move and quietly awaiting his father's answer, leaned against his shoulder with his head resting there patiently. Absently sipping at the warm, sweet liquid and glad that his father was so deep in thought that he did not even admonishing Saturn when he pulled his still socked feet onto the velvet couch beneath. Ultimately bringing him closer to the warmth that his father offered his emotionally strained shivers and wringed out nerves.

 

His soft golden hair brushing against Severus' shoulder and cheek as his son leaned into him, the Potions Master silently revelling in the brief touch of elation that came with every time Saturn took comfort from him; relaxing his tensed limbs deeper into the couch. His mind was a tangled mess of thousands of contradicting thoughts and plans but ultimately he knew there was no way around it. Staying silent for a while, he merely watched quietly as his son finished off his cup of cocoa and then proceeded to tug nervously at the hem of his grey and blue pullover. The indigo and bronze striped tie of his house, having come loosened over the course of the night and his rush down the dungeons gave something to distract Severus for a few seconds longer as he straightened the wayward knot.

 

"Dad what are we going to do?" After Saturn had found his voice once again, his forest green eyes that now glanced up at his bearer from behind tiredly drooping lashes, observed the tightening in the Potions Master jaw. Long elegant fingers curling into tight balled fists and settled awkwardly in his father lap. It was a clear indication to his forced subdued mood, his silence for a few seconds longer also hinted to the elf that the Professor was thinking through his plan one last time.

 

"In the end, there is nothing to do but to show up. The Headmaster may not be able to do anything whilst you are his student, but when he summons you there is also no way you can refuse."

 

"B-but, what if-." Saturn's protest was almost automatically silenced as the dark eyes that had quietly been observing so closely moments before, closed in exasperation. A long finger pressing against his lips to keep him silent for a while longer. With a simple wave of his hand a leather bound book came soaring into the dark wizard's hands where he kept it in his lap before eyes of the same dark green collided together in a rush of differing emotions.

 

"The Headmaster cannot harm you within these walls, all that he can do tomorrow is tell you the truth of why you were taken from us. I suspect that even though he has his reasons, no matter how good they are, take them with more than pinch of salt. Albus Dumbledore is known for his great ability in manipulating even the most reluctant of wizards and holding them willingly beneath his thumb." Saturn, who had allowed his mind to wander away from him now sat up a little straighter at his father's warning. The importance of his bearer's words striking a panicking cord inside of him, forcing difficult questions to the forefront of his mind. What if he couldn't keep himself from forgiving the Headmaster despite the pain he had caused? What if the reason they were going to hear was worse than they thought?

 

"Hush now, it does not matter what you chose to believe or not, for I will be with you every second that you are present in that office. There is no way I am going to leave you by yourself at his mercy for even an hour. You do not even have to do the talking, because you see, my little, Saturn. There is no way that only you are allowed an explanation for his conduct fifteen years past. He has a lot to answer to and despite me being not able to get Lucius to come with us, he will answer to me. He owes me at least that much for remaining loyal to him through these trying times." Saturn, still too stunned to talk turned innocent eyes upon his father's features and when he knew he was not going to get more information, he laid his head back on that strong shoulder and burrowed deeper into his father's side.

 

"I know this is a strange question, Saturn. But bear with me for a little while longer, just what do you know of Legilimency and Occlumency?"  

 

"Legilimency? I-I've never heard of it. Is it dangerous?" The Potions Professor not expecting his son to answer in the affirmative, turned his attention to the black leather bound book in his lap. Curling his long fingers across the cover, tracing absent patterns across the intricate gold writing on the cover that read quite clearly: Legilimency and Its Opposition: Occlumency by Saffron L. Strugent. Curious about the title and vaguely aware of coming across the term Occlumency in one of the many interisting books he had read in the Malfoy Manor Library the last week of his summer, Saturn waited patiently for his father to elaborate on what he was going to say. For there was no doubt that he would, even if it was reluctantly, his father had after all yet to lie to him a single time. 

 

"Legilimency is an obscure branch of magic, very difficult to master that the Headmaster is very proficient in. The Dark Lord also possesses that skill but that is not relevant now. However to be able to possess the ability, is to glimpse other's emotions, memories and passing thoughts before being able to interpret them as useful," Holding up his hand to silence Saturn's frantic question he could see coming, Severus continued gently. "The only way to protect oneself against the invasion of another mind is by the use of Occlumency; affectively shielding those memories and hiding them out of reach where no one could reach them despite their power."

 

"So the Headmaster wi-."

 

"I cannot say for sure that the Headmaster will be using it against you, Saturn. But I do not have the time tonight to even teach you a little bit of shielding yourself. I will give this book to you to study for a month before we attempt to build up your shields against both the Headmaster and the Dark Lord, one can never be too careful. Tomorrow though, all I can say is whatever you do, do not look directly in the Headmaster's eyes as he may not force himself into your mind whilst I am present but he can merely skim the top of your thoughts."

 

"Do you really think I am in danger?" Severus sighed and handed over the leather bound book to his son's long fingers, long fingers that he now noticed held the perfect length and grace of a master potioneer. If only he could get the extra time to actually sit his child down and learn where his mistakes and anxieties lay, there was a great possibility that Saturn could have inherited his father's affinity for potions with only a bit of extra refinement.

 

"There is no doubt that I constantly worry over your safety." Severus noted watching his son carefully as Saturn, in his inherent curiosity, flipped the cover of the book to begin perusing the introduction page already. The young elf quite surprised and abashed to find his father's fingers curling around his to close the book with a decisive snick

 

"Easy now," Severus cautioned, tugging the book from Saturn hands and laying it closed in his son's lap. "It's already past midnight and there is nothing that you can learn tonight that will help you should the Headmaster corner you tomorrow. But there is no need to worry, I will be with you and that is all that matters. Now, I believe with a nice cup of warm cocoa and a pleasant visit that it is time you crept back to your common room. I will meet you tomorrow evening at the staircase leading to the Headmaster's office an-."

 

"But won't he be angry that you are with me Dad? Won't he force you to leave. I don't think I can do this without you." Saturn pleaded, watching and moving automatically as his father tugged him to his feet. A hand resting between his shoulder blades ushering him towards the front door of his quarters, hushing his sudden whimper of panic before familiar arms pulled him into a gentle embrace. The young elf immediately leaned into the touch, not even protesting with abashed embarrassment when his father tugged his braid loose, ruffled his long golden locks affectionately and pressed a kiss to his forehead. 

 

"The rule of Hogwarts will forever remain that a student of this institution is allowed adult supervision and support when visiting the Headmaster, you do not have to be alone. Now, before you pass out from exhaustion run up to your dorms and get a good night's sleep. Rest is the only thing that will keep your strength up in facing the Headmaster, if not, then I will know that you have been reading that book all night." He warned, long fingers pointing to the book pressed against Saturn's side. Eyes closing automatically as another kiss was pressed against his forehead, exhaustion truly threatening to weigh him down completely.

 

A hand guided him the last few steps out of threshold and a final brush of gentle fingers tugging at a strand of hair in warning, Severus sent off his son into the night.

 

"Sleep well Saturn."

 


 

Saturn, newly inducted fifth year Ravenclaw, love child of Severus Snape and Lucius Malfoy, tugged his summer cloak tighter around his school robes as he walked next to his new friend, Luna. The black lake, now swishing and shivering by their feet was stretching out into the distance. The giant squid's tentacles were lazily tracing patterns upon the surface of the murky waters. Forest green eyes constantly turned back to gaze upon the large celestial clock of the Astronomy Tower as if it would miraculously tell him the time now rather than showing only the date, month and the lay of the moon and stars. It was useless though so Saturn turned his attention back to Luna, who was absentmindedly throwing large pieces of fish to the giant squid as treats whilst humming a soft tuned lullaby. 

 

"I always thought that he was rather playful," Came her airy voice and Saturn was forced to turn back to himself, nodding quite absently at her cheerful chatter. He just could not string together a moment in his usually deep trance connecting him to nature and thus, could not relax in her warming presence at all. Despite his internal joy at being able to spend his lunch break outside, with the soft grass tickling his bare feet and the gentle lap, lapping of the water against the river bank ringing pleasantly in his ears; everything Saturn tried to calm his anxiety was not working and it was beginning to show. 

 

It came as a painful blow that he had barely slept the night before and despite obeying his father's orders of not reading the black leather book, he had still not gained a wink of sleep and the desperate deprivation was showing. He was ashamed that he had already slipped up in potions, nearly falling asleep over his cauldron as the fumes turned the tips of his hair sliding out of its braid, greasy and curly. Luckily his father had not called him out, merely brushed past him and with annoyance gripped the scruff of his neck to wake him before he toppled into the cauldron.

 

It had worked and in his sheer panic and embarrassment, Saturn was quite surprised that he had brewed the perfect potion without Draco's assistance, much to his father's delight as well. And now every time he accidentally walked past a mirror he could not help but cringe, for a thin smattering of freckles he never knew he had was now visible on his pale skin, dark circles decorated the hollows beneath his eyes and even his usually straight hair was crumbled and curling. Falling out of its braid and when he was forced to keep it loose, it had already twice accidentally revealed his pointed ears that day.

 

It was just pure luck that no one had seen and he had managed to cast a quick glamour to conceal them before it was too late. He just hoped that it would last until after the meeting with the Headmaster, he did not wish to reveal that particular part of his inheritance so quickly. He fought back a shiver, desperately afraid of what was to be revealed in the Headmaster's office that night. However every time his father seemed to glide past him in the corridors that day, those dark eyes were soft and filled with reassurances. Even adding more to his gentle reassurance was the fingers that gently brushed the back of his hand when no one noticed.

 

With a small sigh, Saturn turned his eyes towards the expanse of sky and still finding no placation, took to pacing up and down next to the lake. He was sorely tempted to summon his donor father as well but his bearer had told him that morning, just before class, that he was currently on duty for their shared master and could not come. Thus affectively shattering the small hope Saturn had found in the idea. It was not as if he did not trust his bearer, he just felt more at ease that both of his parents would be able to support him through the pain of the upcoming meeting. It was an impossibility though that he soon realized would not come to pass.

 

"Saturn? I think we should go. It was nice and all to visit the Giant Squid but the bell has rung two minutes ago." Letting out an undignified yelp of surprise, the young elf unceremoniously tugged Luna's hand in his and barely managed to grab their schoolbags before rushing along the considerable stretch of grass towards the castle. A pair of late students, hastily heading to their classes through a maze of corridors, left Saturn nearly dizzy with hesitation as he turned towards the third floor, classroom 3C. He was already late for his first Defence Against the Dark Arts class with having not yet had a class with the new Professor Umbridge, it was not helping with his concern. He just sent his earthly prayers to Luna who had to dangerously return to her fourth year Potions class situated in the dungeons.

 

"I apologize for being late Professor, I was by the lake and did not hear the bell ring." Saturn called as he entered through the dungeon like door, the entire Hufflepuff-Ravenclaw class turned their heads incredulously to look at him and his daring entrance, probably questioning his sanity in showing up late. The Professor, dressed in garish pink, however only looked at him with a saccharine smile so sweet, that it nearly made Saturn gag. A short stubby finger pointed him towards the only open desk in the front next to Padma Patil. Waving a dismissive hand at his lateness as she scrawled something on the black board before turning back towards him.  

 

"As you were late, but apologized so sweetly I will only take five points from Ravenclaw for the trespass Mr Malfoy, but do not let it happen again. " Saturn nodded gratefully, just glad that he was let off with so little punishment as he hastily searched his school bag to pull out his book and wand. Only to see her shaking her head disapprovingly in the corner of his eye, hastily he looked up just as she sickeningly cleared her throat and waved her toad like hand to bring the classes' attention sole attention back to her. 

 

"There is no need to talk!" She yelled. "There will also be no need for wands in my class, Mr Malfoy. Not for any of you. I was just about to tell the class that it is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which after all, is what school is all about." Saturn openly stared at her, barely keeping back a glare as her words practically stupefied him. It was with great reluctance that he relinquished his cherry wand to his front robe pocket, instead pulling  out a piece of blank parchment and inked a quill. Finding it strangely much easier to suppress his protests unlike the rest of the class, in hopes of not gaining more unwanted attention than he already experienced. After a fierce argument echoing through the dark room, and being told not so tolerantly to read through the first chapter of Defensive Magical Theory. Saturn kept his head down, did what he was asked and soon found himself fighting off yawn after yawn as he rubbed at his bleary eyes.

 

The notes he had reluctantly, but studiously made on his parchment along with his own little notes scribbled hastily in the margins of his new book; brazenly correcting the author of his mistakes, Saturn was soon not able to stifle his exhaustion anymore. Biting his bottom lip in hopes of stalling the oncoming drowsiness, he knew there was a mistake in laying his head down in the middle of Chapter 3: The case of Non-Offensive Responses to Magical Attack. Just to resting his eyes for a moment and soon, not unsurprisingly, found himself drifting and sleepily dozing on his desk.

 

The last thing he was aware of was the new Professor's hideously pink, stout form clicking her heals across stone floor and heading away from his desk to patrol the rest of the classroom desks. It was the sharp sound of her sickening clearing throat grating at the edge of consciousness and a loud bang of hands slapping the end of his table that finally startled the pureblood elf from his dream of creating a perfect potion to please his father. Not able to immediately reign in his emotions, he glared at her for interrupting his sleep, did she not know that he had not slept at all in the last three days?

 

Forest green eyes soon widened in startled surprise as he came back to himself, staring into those toad like features; now gleaming with her sickening, sadistic pleasure. He shuddered at her penetrating gaze, making his stomach roil and turn, regretting the cheese sandwich he had eaten for lunch. Hastily brushing his long hair back over his shoulder where it had fallen forward over the top of his desk, Saturn sat up and blearily waited for the bomb to drop.

 

He did not have to wait long before he felt his world reeling on its edge, anxiety twisting his stomach and emotions gnawing at his soul all over again. 

 

"Really Mr Malfoy! Not only were you late for my class but now you are asleep as well? Even though I can see you have worked ahead of your peers, I also feel disrespected and slighted. Another five points from Ravenclaw Mr Malfoy, Friday night detention will be served with me tomorrow. I'll see you at seven o'clock and do not be late." The bell clanged out the last of the day's class and Saturn, who had not said a single word through her abuse, dejectedly packed away his book and parchments. Noting absently that her attitude towards him had changed, something had caused her to glare at him with such a hateful spark that he felt decidedly uncomfortable and fidgeted with his sleeve. Ignoring the disgruntled looks of his classmates, Saturn absently observed the sun now promptly hidden behind the mountains just outside the window.

 

His punishment could have been a lot worse.

 

Glancing at the clock ticking away on the classroom wall, Saturn took a deep, steadying breath and headed towards the Headmaster's Tower. Tracing his knowing steps much deeper into the castle than the third floor. Even though he was exceptionally early, there was no way he could face his common room's comfort for twenty minutes before having the heart to leave it behind again. Saturn made sure to take his time though, taking the longest route possible that he knew of and walking exceptionally slow, observing the castle as he walked on. He knew it would waste some time and when he reached the front of the gargoyle guarding the spiral staircase, Saturn had to only wait another ten minutes lost in his thoughts, before his father was striding up the corridor in a flurry of black robes. A sour look tugging his lips down into the frown and dark eyebrows furrowing with the annoyance of a tiring day. 

 

"You got no sleep whatsoever last night, am I right?" Severus noted and Saturn nodded ashamedly, his father's fingers pulling a lock of his curly hair towards him to observe it rumpled state with a frown. Under interrogation as to activities, his father's anger quickly dissipated once it was established that his sleep deprived son had not opened the black leather bound book yet. Saturn, just glad that his father's irritation seemed to disappear by him telling the truth, was quite surprised when the Potions Master dug into one of his robe pockets. Placed in his hand as a reward was a bottle filled with amethyst coloured potion; curling his long fingers along the crystals vial, Saturn smiled gratefully.

 

"Thank you Professor, now perhaps I can finally get a night's rest." The young elf knew immediately what it was and carefully placed in his robes. His fingers absently brushing the tip of his and in search of comfort. He was however when his father's deep voice called 'Chocolate Éclairs,' and the stone gargoyle slid out of the way and the staircase descended. His heart nearly jumping out of his chest when he realized that the time had come and to the young elf it felt like he was marching off to his execution. 

 

"We should get going Saturn. It would be better if this over with as quickly as possible." Saturn barely had a chance to find his feet and make them work before they reluctantly began dragging him up the spiral staircase. Even though his father's comforting presence was right behind with a hand pressing against his shoulder, he found his hand trembling quite severely as he knocked on the door. A clear 'enter' from a familiar voice nearly caused his heart to implode when he came face to face with the man he feared and hated the most. The betrayal he had experienced by the man's old hands was so painful that he did not wish for it to happen again.

 

"Ah, Mr Malfoy, Severus. I have been expecting both of you, please come in. Come in." And within those words weighed down with the weight of the world, the regret of all the world's sins, Saturn took a steadying breath and stepped into the circular office.

 


Silence reigned for what felt like an eternity, the tension churning the air made most of the portraits on the wall turn away and stalk out of their frames to find more obliging company. None of the occupants in the room took notice though and the youngest of the trio looked on with worried eyes as his father's arms folded across his chest in an attempt to defend himself against emotional hurt. His right hand, long elegant fingers dangerously clutched at his wand as the Potions Master fingered the tip. Clearly attempting to warn the Headmaster to not attempt to attack either of them and in that small protective stance that shielded Saturn, by standing in front of him, made the young elf breathe a small sigh of relief for another barrier.

 

"You owe me an explanation, Albus. You owe me a lot for what you have done for you and your cause. And. I. Want. Answers." Professor Snape's words were so softly spoken, so dangerously dripping venomous hate that Saturn, who was now longingly staring at a free chair, shivered at the deep baritone. He had never truly seen his father enraged before, not like this, where his tone was so soft one had to strain to hear his words and then promptly cowered at the menacing figure he cut against the office backdrop. 

 

"I know, my boy. I know." The Headmaster returned gravely, his shoulders seeming to crumple beneath their own self created weight of deception and pain. "Please sit down, Severus, Augustus. Have some tea to calm yourselves before I explain everything. I believe that young, August is probably exhausted after a tiring day. What would you like then?" Saturn, who had been too caught up in his thoughts was promptly startled with a question directed directly at him and in seeing his father was not going to take his seat; choosing stubbornly to stand behind Saturn as he slid into the soft, armchair. Saturn wearily turned his forest green eyes, hidden behind a curtain of golden hair, upon the weathered face of the Headmaster he once adored so much. The tension his silence caused in the room was so thick and oppressive that it was nearly suffocating him; making it harder and harder to breathe until a hand settled on his shoulder.

 

"Relax." It commanded and Saturn did, leaning back in his chair as he made sure to keep his eyes hidden behind his hair, not wishing to directly look into the Headmaster's glittering blue eyes.

 

"C-can I please have some cocoa instead, with honey, please?" His now feeble, soft voice seemed to snap the two older wizards out of their staring contest and in that moment, where the headmaster offered a sad, lonely smile at his inquiry, Saturn nearly forgot that he was angry at him. For staring back at him was the only grandfatherly figure that had ever been kind to him when he was at school. It was however not that hard to feel the confusion his thoughts brought to the forefront of his mind, clashing horribly with his anger and fear.

 

He felt suddenly queasy at the rush of conflicting thoughts.

 

"But of course, of course you can. When I look at you now, you are just like your father."

 

'Which father? I have two.' Saturn wanted to reply but said nothing in return, all he knew was the he desperately needed something to keep him busy for a few more seconds to curb the panic that was already clawing painfully at his limbs. Causing them to tremble and shake as desperate anger boiled in his stomach, fear streaking through his veins and the whispering wish to forget the betrayal as if it had never happened all left the young elf quite dazed and confused as an overly warm cup of cocoa was pushed into his hands. If it was not for the tightening hand on his shoulder Saturn was sure that he would have shattered the frail cup between his fingers without even knowing the strength now residing unnecessarily in his own hands.

 

"Professor?" Saturn, who had now patiently finished half of his cocoa, looked imploringly at the light dancing across those half-moon spectacles after regaining some of his control, always careful not to look into those twinkling eyes that seemed to have dulled in their reflection. "Please tell me! I know what happened. My Mu- adopted Mother, Lily, wrote me a letter that I received on my fifteenth birthday. I-I know everything. That you stole me from my real parents and gave me to the Potters after claiming my fathers were d-dead. Why?! Why did you do that?! I c-could...I could have..." Saturn trailed off, his voice cracking with emotion as his breaths were now coming in short sharp bursts that were laced with his mounting panic, reminding him that this was not fun and games anymore.

 

This was his new, dark reality. 

 

"I could have had a happy life with them, could have known my parents. B-but do you know what I regret the most, Professor?" No breathed a word at his angered question and Saturn turned his eyes away from the Headmaster to stare vacantly out the window, rapidly descending into darkness before slumping uselessly in his seat. He could feel the tears that were incessantly tickling the corner of his lashes; threatening stubbornly to break lose at any moment.

 

"I could have escaped the Dursley's and their abuse and been happy with my own parents, which were still alive." He trailed off, the grip that had previously been gentle and reassuring against his shoulder was now painfully tight, squeezing in anger and desperation. Saturn however did not feel it, he felt nothing but the numbness his words caused creeping across his skin. In the corner of his eye he could clearly see the Headmaster's once proud shoulders sink at his every, accusing and hurtful word. He could hear how his father's breathing, which had been calm before, now became ragged with emotion and internal suffering.

 

The young Ravenclaw, who had been feeling cheated in his inherent bravery, was still the only one to have had the courage to ask the questions they all knew were coming. The accusations that had still not been defended by the Headmaster, caused more pain for the young elf than he could handle. In his desperate ache, Saturn closed his eyes and leaned against the back of the chair. All the pent up emotions that had come hurtling out of his body in such a rush left him now feeling completely disjointed.

 

"If not for your bravery child, I know I would never have been able to face these questions. I know that I cannot answer for my own foolishness in how I acted all those years ago but in my folly, I know I destroyed not only one life but a whole family." The air in the Headmaster's office seemed to turn cold as Saturn felt his father's hand trembling against his shoulder. "It was Christmas night, 1980, merely five months since your strained birth at St Mungo's when I interviewed Professor Trelawney for the Divination Professorship and in the middle of our interview, she made a prophecy. A prophecy so accurate that I was afraid of it. It involved you and Tom Riddle." Here, Saturn could hear the hitch in the Headmaster's voice.

 

"She foretold that the Dark Lord would mark a child born at the end of July, as his equal. And in my inherent, stupid selfishness I knew that if Riddle was to so much as suspect his greatest Death Eaters of bearing and birthing that child into the world, the punishment would not only be severe but fatal for us all. I did what I thought was right and entered Malfoy Mansion on the 27th when Severus and Lucius travelled into Diagon Alley." There was a marked silence and Saturn could practically feel his father vibrating with rage now and as reality sunk in, he too felt anger and confusion as he rested his head in his hands, a desperate ache was pushing up against his forehead.

 

"I will forever regret what happened in that cottage." And for a moment Saturn thought he could believe it. "The young nurse, so young and vibrant, put up such a fight that I underestimated my disarming spell. She hit the back of her head against the marble changing table and snapped her neck, by the time I reached her it was far too late and worst was you, little August. Wailing so loudly that I feared Narcissa would wake and come to investigate, I apparated to Gordic's Hollow where Lily and James had just agreed to take you in."

 

"But you lied! H-how could you ask them to take me in, they couldn't provide me more protection that Professor Snape and Lord Malfoy! They died, they died to save me, thinking that I was an orphan that they had taken into the depths of their hearts..." Saturn trailed off, the empty cup of cocoa shattering against the wall where he suddenly threw it in a rage. How was his father so calm? How was the Headmaster making it so hard for him not to forgive him? He just couldn't take it, his whole life was a mess and even if the Headmaster had sought to protect all three of them, three innocent people were still dead because of him. And the death toll could only rise from here.

 

Voldemort finding out that he was not missing and the son of two of his most 'loyal' Death Eaters was way worse now that it would have been when he was just born and still an innocent babe and he told that to the Headmaster, clutching desperately at his long strands of hair as he fought off the nightmarish images constructing themselves in front of his clenched eyelids. He was barely even able to keep control of the sobs that were lodging themselves in his throat. He just couldn't take this calmly, his hand was scrambling for his wand but before he could use it, a hand closed over his.

 

Calamity reigned over him now, he could not control it.

 

"Hush, calm down." He didn't, fighting the restraints as he stood suddenly.

 

"H-how can you be so calm Dad?! How can you-." He saw desperate pain ignite in those dark eyes, now nearly black with emotion as a hand around his waist kept from falling to the floor in despair.

 

"Calm yourself child, what I have to say to the Headmaster has no place touching your ears." And to emphasize his point there was a gentle press of a kiss against the tip of his ear that was now exposed. "But the truth, the truth we have now will set the path of the future. So off you go to the Great Hall, Saturn whilst I finish this. I can see your conflict more clearly than you can understand and you will not survive the rest of the words." Reluctantly Saturn accepted the hand that pushed him towards the door, sadly grateful that he would not have to hear more but stung that his father did not trust him to control himself to the end of the meeting.

 

"I am truly sorry, August and I hope that perhaps one day, you can forgive me." Saturn heard the parting words but did not acknowledge him, he was too confused and deeply buried within his pain and sorrow. How could this man, which had meant so much to him, done something so profound that three lives were lost in protecting him? It made him numb on the outside as his feet carried him through the castle, the Headmaster's office door slamming shut before he could so much as make out what his father's now rising voice was saying.

 

There was no way he could go to the Great Hall for dinner, so instead he just walked through the castle in a daze of regret, would it all perhaps have been better If he had never been born? Would the world not have been a better place had Voldemort never even lived? He thought so but in his pain there was nothing he could do against it, the pain was too much and whilst he reached the fifth floor he climbed the staircase and numbly answered the brass eagle before entering the room. If he was hungry, he could venture down to the Kitchens later but right now he needed to go outside without anyone knowing where he was.

 

Grabbing his Invisibility Cloak, Saturn headed for the Black Lake a second time that day. Where he had found some calm that afternoon, he hoped that the embrace of nature would offer a brief reprieve of comfort before he drifted off to a dreamless sleep that night. When the tears finally came, he let them come. Leaning against the bark of an old elm tree that was gently whispering in his ear, whispers he could not understand that night but when the heavy bows bent towards him in a large embrace, brushing leafy fingers across his abdomen and head, Saturn leaned back and finally let everything go in a whispered prayer. 


 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks for reading everyone and I hope you enjoyed it. I shall you all once again next Thursday.

Always Yours

Emerald Raven


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2892