When Am I Awake? by HPSSFan
Summary: The final battle is over, but how has this effected Harry and how he sees who is dead and who is alive? How does he know what is real and what is a dream?
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Bellatrix, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Lucius, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Other, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required), Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family, General, Mystery, Supernatural, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry), 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Death, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 13363 Read: 17618 Published: 16 Jan 2013 Updated: 11 Apr 2013
Story Notes:
This story was inspried by the NBC show AWAKE, featuring Jason Issacs. Snape is rather OOC in this story and this story involves "Dream hopping"
Chapter 1 by HPSSFan

They're all gone. Ron was killed by Yaxley while protecting Hermione. Hermione was wounded by Yaxley, but was killed by Dolohov. Ginny died by the hands of Bellatrix Lestrange. Fred and George were killed by some unknown death eater. Mrs. Weasley was killed by Bellatrix Lestrange in a duel that took both of their lives. Mr. Weasley was viciously murdered by Lucius Malfoy. They are all gone.

I am left alone again. I don't even remember crying over their dead bodies after the battle. I was numb from the moment I walked back into the great hall after the fight had started. Next thing I knew, I was being lifted and taken out of the great hall by a man. He brought me down to the dungeons, but It didn't bother me. I was still drowning in so much grief, that I couldn't question anything. I was placed on a couch and the man, who brought me down to the dungeons, took a seat on the small table in front of me. Who would that man be other than Professor Snape.

"Harry, you did it. It's all over. Voldemort is a name of the past" Snape whispered to me, trying to comfort me.

"They're all gone, sir." I told him through my tears.

"I know, Harry, and I am sorry." I looked up at him as he put a comforting hand on my shoulder. I could see the bandages on his neck, covering the snake bites that had punctured his flesh.  "You avenged their deaths. Everyone you ever loved, who was killed by Voldemort and his minions, has now been avenged."

"Even Lily?" I questioned.

Snape had given me those memories, unsure if he was going to survive.

"Yes, even Lily. She would be so proud of you, Harry. I have a feeling, however, that this next step could be even harder than the battle we just fought."

"What do you mean?"

"For awhile, people will grieve and they will expect you to be the face of the rebuilding period. They will boast about how you saved the lives that you could by taking on Voldemort willingly. When they stop grieving though, they will turn on you. They will make you pay for all of the deaths that have happened tonight. This will be a rather slow turn in public opinion, but once it starts, there is nothing that we can do to stop it."

I sat in thought, digesting the information that was given to me.

"But I am grieving just as much as they are."

"That might be true, but that isn't going to matter to them. You become the leader ever since Albus died. They will want someone to take blame for the battle.  I know that it sounds scary, Harry, but I will there for anything that you need. I will help you get through this. Right now, I need you to take this potion." Snape said as he dug into his pocket. "It's a dreamless sleep potion."

I took it from his hand and drank it down in one gulp. With the mood I was in, I just wanted to fall asleep and never wake up. The last thing that I thought about was that the idea that Snape was helping me through the next step was comforting.

 


I woke up in the dungeons alone.


"Professor." I called out. There was no response. "He must be helping Madame Pomfrey with the wounded." I thought.

That was okay because I needed to talk to Dumbledore's portrait. I needed to ask advice on what Snape had said last night. I made my way to Dumble- no, the headmaster's office. I didn't need a password, the eagle had let me pass through. There was Dumbledore asleep in his portrait. I felt bad for waking him up, but I needed to talk to him.

"Professor" I whispered, rousing him from sleep.

"Harry, my brave pupil. You did it. You've rid the world of evil" Dumbledore praised.

"Professor, I have a question. It's about something that Professor Snape told me last night."

"Professor Snape?" He questioned.

"Yes, he told me..." I started, but the office door exploded open.

"Harry, what are you doing up here?"

I almost couldn't believe my eyes. I ran forward, wrapping Ron and Hermione in my arms.

"What's that for mate?" Ron questioned.

"I thought..."Then I stopped speaking.

At first, I wasn't really sure that they were real. Then I touched them. They're real and alive. They weren't alive when I went to sleep, but now they are. I kept my mouth shut, just like I did when I heard the parseltounge, and no one else could during my second year. This would definitely land me in a mental ward at St. Mungo's if anyone ever found out.

"I'm just happy that you're alive." I continued.

"What are you doing up here, Harry?" Hermione questioned.

"I came to ask Dumbledore some advice on something that Snape had told me last night." "What are you talking about?" was the unspoken question on their face. "Why are you staring at me like that?" I questioned.

Harry, Professor Severus Snape died yesterday." Dumbledore's portrait replied.

What? No? He couldn't have? I had spoken to him last night before I went to sleep, that's not possible. "Harry, we watched him die in the shrieking shack. Remember, he was attacked by Nagini." Hermione informed me with a worried tone.

"Oh, did I say Snape? I meant Professor McGonagall. I got my answer though, so let's get back downstairs."

I think I calmed them slightly by playing off that I was confused. When we got down to the great hall, I set out in search of Snape's body. It was fairly to find his body. It was the only body that was covered in all black and not surrounded by people. No, this could not be happening! I was just talking to him less than twelve hours ago. Not only was Snape dead, but Ron and Hermione were alive. Not only were those two alive, so was Ginny and the entire Weasley family. No, I can't be here. I am on the verge of having a mental breakdown.

I stormed out of the Great Hall, not listening to the calls of my name. I headed straight for the boy's dormitory, where I collapsed on my bed and fell asleep.  

The End.
End Notes:
So what do you think?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2900