In Disguise by the other witch
Summary: Severus Snape in disguise. Written for Jan AQ's Snowball Challenge. The story got out of leash and expanded into a multi-chaptered story. Beta read by BearGirl1319, and Nightshade
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Neville
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 5321 Read: 32661 Published: 26 Jan 2013 Updated: 21 Apr 2013
Chapter 8 by the other witch
Author's Notes:
Beta-read by Nightshade
It was a freshly adult, thin, dirty, and tired Harry Potter who reached Longbottom Manor. Neville greeted him with a handshake, and led him in.

Snape was waiting for them in the entrance hall. The older wizard surprised him when he offered him hand as man to man. Then Snape looked him over critically. "You've spent the month with your relatives, Potter?"

"Yes," Harry answered, wondering where this was leading.

"I see that Petunia is still the same cow as she used to be, then," Snape commented calmly. Harry stared and Neville choked on his breath.

"You have something to eat, then. I'll go and floo to Albus to inform him about your whereabouts," Snape told him and vaguely motioned toward a door.

"Er... yes." Harry stammered, and Snape rolled his eyes.

"If you waited two more days, till your birthday, Albus' people would have retrieved you," Snape informed him. His voice, surprisingly, held no malice.

"You-Know-Who's followers tried to sabotage it, though," Neville stepped in.

"I felt like a sitting duck," Harry admitted. "So, I decided to move earlier."

Snape just nodded – in understanding? Harry wondered – and left.

Neville led him through the dinning hall to the smaller room by the kitchen.

"I'll show you around later, Harry." he promised. He clapped his hands twice, and when a pop sounded, he added, "please, don't tell Hermione I have House-Elves."

"Where is your Gryffindor courage?" Harry teased him. He gratefully tucked in the full English breakfast that the House-Elf put on the table. "What's Snape doing here, anyway?"

"He lives here," Neville said softly. "His home was destroyed, so I invited him."

Upon seeing Harry's expression, he added, "It's okay. I'm mostly in my greenhouses, and Severus' occupying the old potion lab. We practically see each other only by meals. He's been okay, really."

"Okay," Harry repeated unsurely. Talk about surprises.

After a pause, he asked, "It's still okay if I live here too?"

"I invited you, and the invitation stands," Neville answered rather formally. After taking a pause, he added in his normal warmer tone, "I'm glad you're here. It's been lonely." His open face saddened. "It has always been lonely here."

Harry smiled at him gratefully. "You, me, and Snape." He said in wonder. "Wow."

"You, me, and Snape," Neville repeated, grinning. "They stand no chance."
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2910