A New Life... Maybe? by reddragon7
Summary: Harry is back at Privet Drive after his first year at Hogwarts.
His Aunt and Uncle have beaten and starved him since his return.
His cousin, Dudley takes matters into his own hands.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Other, Petunia, Ron, Shacklebolt, Umbridge, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 31093 Read: 54163 Published: 26 Feb 2013 Updated: 26 May 2013
Chapter 10 by reddragon7
Author's Notes:
Any mistakes I am sorry for as I do not have a beta
but enjoy anyway.

The wolf cub had chased Umbridge all the way from the Headmasters’ office to the castles main gates. Umbridge had tried a couple of times to get her wand from her handbag to cast a hex on the animal, but every time she slowed down he would nip at her behind causing her to speed up again.

Once she reached the gates she managed to open them enough to slip out and slammed them shut again before the cub could follow her through.

Relieved, she lent up against a nearby tree to catch her breath and wait for Fudge to catch up with her. The wolf, not at all bothered that his ‘prey’ had escaped, walked closer to the gates and sniffed.

Umbridge felt a little braver the fact that there was a twenty-foot gate between her and the beast.

“I will have you as a rug in my office before the winter you odious animal," she sneered at it.

If anyone had seen the cub at that moment they would have sworn that it smiled as it cocked it’s back leg and aimed through the gates a very strong stream of urine all over the woman’s legs. Then giving a little shake, he turned his head and looked at the shocked witch and trotted away.

Fudge caught up with Umbridge just as she was cleaning her self up

“I am going to have that wolf. His head is going to look so good on my wall.”

“Never mind that now,” Fudge said. “I have had just about enough for one day. But I think that we have a few things to discuss when we return to the office.”

And with that he apparated away, Umbridge followed behind.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Back in the Headmasters office Harry was listening to what was being said but not quite taking it in.

“I have to take Harry to the Ministry," Shacklebolt said, “they are taking the claim seriously.”

“I have to go to Aunt Marge?” Harry asked quietly.

“Not yet,” Shacklebolt answered, “it is just that the proper procedures must be followed and the head of child welfare would like to question you.”

Snape looked at Dumbledore. “I don’t believe this. How the hell did a muggle get in touch with the Ministry in the first place?”

“That is something I will be looking into,” Shacklbolt said, “the parchment was on Madam Bones’ desk this morning with a memo from Umbridge to bring you in for questioning about your living arrangements.”

“What’s it got to do with that old harridan?” McGonagall asked her temper rising seeing the distress on Harry’s face. “Why was she here this morning if she had already sent the order for Harry to brought to the Ministry?”

“She had to come with Fudge didn’t she? I know he is completely unaware of what goes on under his nose.” Dumbledore answered. “I very often make sure of it, very well Kingsley we will bring Harry along shortly.”

But Shacklbolt shook his head. “No Albus I am sorry but they want to see him alone.”

“That is not going to happen,” said Snape vehemently, “I am his guardian and as such I will escort Harry to the Ministry and to any meetings that they want with him.”

Harry was now sitting on the floor by the fireplace his head in his hands wishing just for once he could have one day where he wasn’t chased through the forest or summoned to the….His head shot up.

“The wolf, I need to go and look for the cub, he may be injured that woman could have done anything to him.”

“Never mind that Harry, I will go and look for the cub and make sure it is fine, you need to go along with Severus and Shacklebolt now. But do not worry when you come back later I am sure that your new pet will be waiting for you.” McGonagall said with a sly smirk at Snape.

Snape stood over Harry and held out his hand. “Come on son,” he said “lets go and sort out this mess and then maybe we can get on with our holiday without any more interruptions.”

Harry took his hand and Snape pulled him up of the floor.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry, Snape and Shacklebolt stepped out of the floo in the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic.

Harry looked around in complete awe the place was enormous. The high ceiling painted a light blue inlaid with gold and silver.

Fireplaces were set down both sides of the walls beautiful wood paneling surrounding them. On the left there were witches and wizards arriving with a flash of green flames and on the right small queues forming as they prepared to leave.

Harry turned his head back and forth trying to take everything in.

“Impressive isn’t it? I’ve been working here for years now and it still overwhelms me on occasions.” Harry did not catch the note of sarcasm in Shacklebolts’ voice but Snape did, and quirked an eyebrow at the large Auror.

“This way,” Shacklebolt led them towards a large desk behind which a wizard sat reading the Daily Prophet. Harry gasped when he saw his name across the front of the first page in large bold lettering:

HARRY POTTER AND THE…..

He could not make out the rest of headline as Shacklebolt stepped in front of him.

The wizard behind the desk who was wearing green robes with security written right across them, said without looking up;

“State your name and business”

“Kingsley Shacklebolt escorting Severus Snape and Harry Potter, and if you want to keep your position Mr. Oregreave, I would put that paper down and do your job.”

The security wizard looked up and seeing Shacklebolt standing before him nearly fell off his chair. He threw the paper down and stood up quickly.

“Sorry Auror Shacklebolt sir,” he said. “Its just that its been a slow morning so I fort you know I would have a quick shufty at the paper like, see what all the fuss is abat, you know wiv all the bovver wiv the ‘ead lines.”

Shacklebolt shook his head.

“Just get on with the job you are paid to do and if I find you reading on duty again you’ll be sweeping out every floo for the next month, do I make myself understood?”

The security wizard nodded and came around from behind his desk.

“Sorry Auror Shacklbolt," he said as he began to wave his wand over first Harry then Snape. After the wand had turned green on both occasions the wizard turned and said, “You may both go through an’ I ‘ope you ‘ave a good day.”

Shacklebolt led them through a set of large gates into a circular area surrounded by lifts.

 “This way,” he said making his way to a lift, “this one will take us right to where we need to go.”

The area surrounding the lifts was extremely busy, there were people entering and leaving every couple of seconds. Pieces of parchment flying around added to the general noise and bustle.

They entered one of the lifts; Shacklebolt closed the door, pressing the button that would take them to the third floor. The lift moved first with a jerking motion then dropped suddenly and shot off to the right. It stopped just as suddenly and a voice said.

“Third floor: Head of Auror Office, Muggle Liaison Office, and Office for the Head of Wizard Child Welfare.”

The three of them stepped off the lift and Snape looked down at Harry seeing he was looking a little green asked,

“Are you aright?”

“Can we go back, I think I left my stomach back there?” Harry replied smiling slightly. 

Shacklebolt let out a loud deep guffaw making people look around in astonishment.

“Sorry about that Harry I should have warned you. Right lets get this over with.” He said stopping outside a door and knocking on it.

Harry read the name on the brass plate, Madam M Talmage Head of Wizard Child Welfare.

“She is really nice Harry just answer the questions she asks you and everything will be fine, one thing though, she tends to start most sentences with, Right.”

Snape had his hand on Harry’s back and the slight pressure calmed his nerves slightly.

A voice from the other side of the called out and bid them enter and the three of them went in.

The witch looked up as they entered and she smiled

“Ah Kingsley welcome come in, come in and you must be Harry?” she said holding out her hand.

Harry took the hand and shook it

“Hello,” he said, “pleased to meet you.”

She then held her hand out to Snape and shook and welcomed him too.

“ Right, now” she said. “I have received this claim this morning and unfortunately I have to follow it up, before I get down to asking my questions is there anything I can get any of you, Tea, coffee, pumpkin juice?”

Snape and Harry both declined wanting to get the interview over with as quickly as possible.

‘Right” she said “Professor Snape you are of course more than welcome to stay with Harry as you are at this moment registered as his guardian, but I must ask you not to interrupt.”

Snape nodded.

“Right, she said again, “Harry as you are aware Miss Dursley has asked to take over your care due to the fact that your previous care givers have been arrested and waiting trial. I need to determine whether it is better for you to stay where you are or if you should indeed go and live with your aunt.”

“She’s not my aunt.” Harry interrupted

“I beg your pardon?” The witch asked looking at him

“I have had to call he aunt all the time I lived with them but she is nothing to me, she is Vernon’s sister, he is married to my mothers sister like I said, she is nothing to me.”

“Right, lets carry on shall we?” The witch said looking down at the parchment on her desk a little confused as if she had been told something different.

“Right Harry how long have you lived with your aunt and uncle?”

“Ten years.”

“And how many times have you stayed with Miss Dursley in those years?”

“Never, Dudley, my cousin, would spend a weekend with her every now and again if Vernon and Petunia would go away but I never stayed with her.”

“ Right, and how often would Miss Dursley come and visit?”

“Once in the summer and at Christmas.” Harry answered.

“Right, can you tell me about those visits please?”

“She would come and stay for a week, make my life hell and leave.”

“Harry, did Miss Dursley ever raise a hand to you?”

“Often.”

“And you are not just saying it to stay where you are?”

Harry looked at the witch directly in the eyes and said,

“No Madam Talmage, my life with the Dursleys’ was bad enough but it got worse when that woman came to stay. She would talk about my parents in front of me calling them names and saying that with any luck I would end up just like them, I think she meant dead. She would always bring her favorite dog with her and wind him up so he would chase and bite me. And if she thought the punishment that Vernon had dealt out was not harsh enough for me to, “learn my lesson”, then she would show him the best way to discipline someone like me, and I had to be grateful for them taking me in.” 

“Right, this is not what I have written in front of me,” the witch said.

It states here that you had spent many holidays with the woman in question and that you had a very good relationship from the time that you went to live with your relatives.”

The witch looked at Shacklebolt who was standing in the corner of the room.

“Right, what do you think is going on here Kingsley?" She asked.

“The fact that a muggle was able to contact the Ministry in the first place is something I will be looking into, but I believe after meeting the other Dursleys’ Harry is safer where he is.” Shacklebolt replied.

“Right I am going to have to ask Professor Snape to step outside now whilst I ask my next questions is that all right with you?” She looked at Snape.

He nodded and stood up.

“I’ll just be outside Harry all right?” he gave his shoulder a quick squeeze.

Harry nodded.

“Right, Harry I want to ask you a few questions about the professor, how do you feel about him being your guardian?”

“I was unsure at first, we didn’t get on that well last year, but he has taken really good care of me the past few days, and we have had a good talk. I know he wants me and he has promised never to raise a hand to me. I feel safe with Severus, safer with him than I can ever remember.”

Harry looked at the witch, whose eyes seemed suspiciously moist.

“I don’t want to leave Severus I know it has only been a few days but I am happy.”

“Right well I think that concludes everything I have to ask for now, I will have to see you again closer to the Dursleys trial.”

 She walked over to the door and opened it.

 “Right Professor Snape you can come back in now.” 

Harry looked up at Snape and smiled as he came back in the room.

“Are you alright Harry?” He asked as he sat down next to the boy.

Harry just nodded his reply, he was still worried that even though he had told the truth about the way things were with Marge he would still somehow end up with her.

“Right I have listened to what young Harry has to say. And with the reasons why he was taken from the Dursleys in the first place and the discrepancies between what is written here and what he has told me, I see no reason to turn his care over to some one who obviously has no actual legitimate claim on him.”

Madam Talmage smiled at Harry.

“Is that ok with you?”

Harry looked at her not quite understanding what she was getting at.

“Does that mean I get to stay with Severus?” he asked.

“Yes Harry as far as I am concerned that is the best place for you.”

He jumped put of his chair and threw himself at Snape.

“I get to stay.” He said.

“Never doubted it for a minute.” Snape replied looking down smiling at the small boy holding onto him tightly.

“Right, I will be submitting my findings with the Minister and his department later. The witch stood up again and held out her hand to first Snape and then Harry.

“I must say Harry It has been a pleasure to meet you and I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. You will receive an owl from me within the next couple of weeks about when to come in again about the trial.”

Dismissed Harry and Snape left her office and went to wait outside for Shacklebolt to escort them back to the atrium so that they could floo back to the school.

Whilst they were waiting for the auror harry asked Snape about the newspaper headlines.

“Right that,” he said. “It seems that my little argument with the famous author Lockhart made the front page.”

Harry started laughing.

“I am glad you think it is funny.”  Snape said, scowling.

“No its not that,” he said. “You just started your sentence with right, it’s catching.”

Just then the door opened and Shacklebolt left the room.

“Right, are you two ready?”

Harry snorted and went into a fit of giggles again.

“Something I said?” Shacklebolt asked.

They were waiting for the lift to take them back to the main hall when they were joined my none other than the Minister for Magic.

“Well, well twice in one day young Harry, I hope you are not too upset by what occurred this morning?” 

“No sir, not at all,” Harry replied.

“Good, all business concluded is it?” Fudge asked.

“All done for now Minister, just taking the Professor and Harry back to Hogwarts," Shacklebolt answered.

Just then the lift arrived and they stepped on.

“You taking this one Minister?” Shacklebolt asked.

“No, I need to see someone on this floor, I will see you again Harry no doubt?”

And the man walked off.

“Three guesses where he is going.” Snape mumbled to the auror.

When the lift stopped and they stepped off Harry bumped straight into Umbridge. Not realising at first who it was he began to apologize for nearly knocking her over. 

"Oh its you Mr. Potter, "I see your manners have not improved, but never mind once you are in your new home I am sure things will get better."

“I don’t know what you mean Madam Umbridge.” Harry said

“Haven’t you just been with Madam Talmage? I expect you will be leaving Hogwarts for your new home in the next few days?” Umbridge replied with a sneer.

 “I do not know where you are getting your information Madam undersecretary,” Snape cut in, “but Harry is staying at Hogwarts, with me. So if you do not mind we have had quite enough of our day interrupted, come Harry.” And he held his arm out to Harry to escort him away.

 The little witch turned on her heels and marched away pushing a few people out of her path as she went.

“I think my investigation will begin and end with her.” Shacklebolt said.“Well this is where I leave you," they had arrived at the fireplaces. "I am glad everything has worked out for you; I’ll be in touch about the trial. And enjoy the rest of your holiday.”

Snape held his hand out to the Auror, “Thank you for what you said in there I believe it helped.”

Shacklbolt took the proffered hand and shook it and then clapped Harry on the shoulder.

“Goodbye then Harry, see you soon.”

“Bye sir and thanks.” Harry replied.

“Come on son” Snape said, “Lets go home.”

‘That’s twice,’ Harry thought as they stepped into the flames; ‘he's called me son twice today.’

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Madam Umbridge marched into the Ministers office and sat down on the chair opposite his desk.

“Well that did not work, I think it is about time we had a change of leadership in the child welfare office Cornelius,” she said.

“Now, now Dolores just because things don’t always go the way you want first time. There is more than one way to skin a Kneazle after all.”

“What now Cornelius?  Dumbledore has stumped you again, I swear to you that man is after your job, oh I know he says he never wanted to be Minister, but I know he can not be trusted and now he has complete control over the Boy Who Lived.”

Umbridge gave Fudge a sideways glance knowing that as soon as she mentioned his position as Minister he would panic.

And true to form Fudge started pacing the office.

“I need to put someone in Hogwarts myself.” Fudge said, “I need to keep an eye on what that man is up to.”

"What an excellent idea Minister." Umbridge simpered, "I will make up a list of people I think we can trust to go and…”

“No Dolores, there is only one person I could possibly trust enough for this task.”

“Who Minister?” She asked not wanting to hear the reply.

“Why you of course Dolores, I think I see a nice teaching post in your future.”

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2920