A New Life... Maybe? by reddragon7
Summary: Harry is back at Privet Drive after his first year at Hogwarts.
His Aunt and Uncle have beaten and starved him since his return.
His cousin, Dudley takes matters into his own hands.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Other, Petunia, Ron, Shacklebolt, Umbridge, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 31093 Read: 54160 Published: 26 Feb 2013 Updated: 26 May 2013
Chapter 11 by reddragon7

Dumbledore was sat at his desk trying to get through some of the mountain of paperwork that seemed to appear daily. His mind though was not on it. For all his insistence that everything was fine and the Ministry could not interfere, hewas worried, knew even he was not infallible. He had already messed up Harry’s life once he was going to make damn sure he didn’t do it a second time. Absentmindedly he placed a sherbet lemon in his mouth and began to slowly suck on it. He knew people were forever commenting about his “sweet tooth,” but the sweets actually helped him concentrate, well that was his excuse and he was sticking to it.

An idea came to him just as the flames in the fire flared green and out stepped Snape and Harry.

“Ah boy’s you are back," he said standing up a relived smile on his face.

“All went well I presume?”

“As well as could be expected when dealing with the Ministry." Snape replied, sitting in the chair opposite Dumbledore preparing to fill him in on what had happened.

“I get to stay with the Professor.” Harry said a big smile on his face.

“I don’t want to be the one to tell you I told you so but, I told you so,” Dumbledore laughed, his blue eyes twinkling merrily, relief washing over him in waves.

“So what do you intend to do with the rest of your day?” Dumbledore asked sitting back in his chair picking up his box of sherbet lemons and holding them out to Harry and Snape.

“Well,” Snape said waving away the box, “Harry has homework to do and I have next terms lesson plan to work on and of course all my marking to do so, I thought that we would spend the rest of the day in the dungeons so I can make a start and then Harry can have an early night,” looking at Dumbledore, a glint in his dark eyes.

Harry sat in his chair looking down at his feet,

“Great the rest of this holiday is going to stink,” grumbled Harry slouching down in the chair.

“Yes very good idea.” Dumbledore said nodding at Snape blue eyes twinkling a small smile playing on his lips.

“It’s a good to get all your work done in advance then you will be ready to start the new term fresh.”

Dumbledore was playing along with Snape he knew the potions professor had all his work completed and the lesson plan had been submitted the first week of the summer holidays.

“But then again I suppose we could always say that as most of today has been wasted by our trip to the Ministry and any work that is started is unlikely to be completed satisfactorily we could always take a visit to the Burrow.”

 

Harry’s head snapped up.

“Are you serious sir?” He asked a big grin forming on his face.

“I really would like to see Ron and tell him all about what’s been happening and about the wolf… Oh I forgot about the wolf I hope he is ok, Professor McGonagall hasn’t come back with him so maybe she can’t find him. Oh, Oh, Oh Ron can tell me why he wasn’t allowed to come back here yesterday, do you know why Professor Dumbledore? Severus won’t tell me, I really hope the cub is ok and that woman hasn’t hurt him. What if he is lying hurt somewhere? I would really like to see Ron’s house though.”

Dumbledore and Snape looked at Harry incredulously as he skipped from one subject to another.

“Harry will you please calm down and take a breath.” Snape said the corner of his mouth pulled up in a small smile at the boys excitement.

Dumbledore was enjoying himself immensely.

“How about you go to the Burrow and when Minerva returns I will inform you immediately,” he said, “and whilst your there maybe you can come up with a name for the animal after all you can’t keep calling your pet wolf or cub now can you?”

Snape grumbled something incoherent under his breath. 

“I’ll just make a quick fire call to see if it is convenient to go through now and then we will leave you in peace headmaster,” Snape said striding over to the fire and taking a handful of floo powder.

Whilst Snape was talking to someone in the fire Harry asked Dumbledore rather shyly.

“Sir, whilst we at the Ministry the security guard was reading the paper and my name was across the front page, but I could not make out what it was about, do you know?”

“I think it is to do with the fact that Severus is now your guardian, unfortunately Harry the newspapers seem to think that they have the right to report on anything and everything that is to do with you, that is why I felt it was better to keep you away from the magic community until you were ready to handle it.”

Dumbledore’s eyes lost a little of their sparkle.

“I do understand sir Severus explained things to me last night.” Harry replied.

At that moment Snape came away from the fire.

“All sorted they are waiting for us so when you are ready Harry we will floo to the Burrow”

“Off you two go then and enjoy the rest of your day. And as soon as I have any news about your cub I will let you know” Dumbledore said getting up from his seat and walking to the fire his hand on Harry’s shoulder

“Thank you sir.” Harry said to the headmaster as Snape took some of the floo powder.

Dumbledore gave Harry’s shoulder a gentle squeeze, his blue eyes still a little sad. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry and Snape stepped out if the fire at the Burrow to find only Molly and Arthur Weasley in the house.

“Harry lovey, how are you?” Molly said getting up from the table and enveloping him in a tight hug.

“Let the boy breathe Molly, goodness woman anyone would think you hadn’t seen him for a month. It was only yesterday you saw him last you know, “Arthur said laughing.

But Molly didn’t release him and Harry really didn’t mind, he had not got many hugs in his life and this felt wonderful. And if Ron’s mum wanted to hug him all day then that was fine by him.

“Where is everyone?” Snape asked, “It is very quiet.”

Molly finally released Harry and went to sit back down.

“Ron is outside working in the garden, finishing off his punishment and the twins and Ginny have walked to the village.” Molly answered, automatically pouring a cup of tea for Snape and handing it to him and pushing a plate of home made biscuits in front of him.

“Help yourself,” she said.

“Do you mind if I go and find Ron?” Harry asked really eager now to discover what he had done to warrant his punishment.

“Of course Harry, he should be cleaning out the chicken coop.” Arthur replied wrinkling his nose at the thought.

“Just go through the gate and turn left you can’t miss it.”

“Thanks, see you in a bit.” Harry said rushing to the door.

When he had left Molly turned to Snape and asked,

“So what happened today I heard you got called to the Ministry?”

Snape filled the two Weasleys in on the happenings of the past twenty-four hours including Harry’s new pet.

“I must say Severus Arthur said laughing, “I would pay anything to see that woman being chased by a wolf, but seriously watch your back she is up to something and unfortunately she has the Minister right where she wants him. I would not put it past her to have been in touch with that muggle relative of the Dursleys herself.”

“I had thought that.” Snape said, “but I cannot understand why they would want to place Harry in danger again.”

“Well hopefully Kingsley will be able to find something out before they try anything else.” Arthur replied, helping himself to another biscuit.

“Has Harry said anything about what happened to him?” Molly asked pouring another cup of tea.

“Nothing at all he says he cannot recall much of what happened. I think he is just suppressing things. So I was thinking about taking him to my cottage in Wales for a week or so, maybe a change of scene and some sea air will do him good.” Snape answered. “And I was thinking maybe Ronald would like to come along for company, if his punishment is served of course.” he added.

“I think that is a marvelous idea Severus,” Arthur said, “it will do you the world of good to get away for a while, what the trial coming up Harry will need to build his strength to face those monsters again.”

“When will you go? Molly asked.

“Tomorrow, the place is always ready, my aunt had two very competent house elves, whom I inherited with the property, they keep the place ready for any time I should want to use it so I do not see any reason to delay.”

“Have you said anything to Harry about it?” Molly asked.

“No I thought I would check with you first about Ronald before saying anything to Harry, I did not want to disappoint him.”

Molly smiled at Snape.

“Good idea, Ron is lucky he only had a grounding and has to clean the chickens after what he did, I have never been so embarrassed in all my days and I am the mother of Fred and George.” 

“You have got to admit though Molly it was bloody funny the look on that man’s face was priceless.” Arthur chuckled looking at his wife.

“So what exactly did young Mr. Weasley do?” Snape asked intrigued.   

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry had found Ron, not in the chicken coop like he was supposed to be but sitting by the small pond in the garden.

“Hi mate,” Harry said as he sat down beside him, “I thought you were supposed to cleaning out the chickens.”

“Done it,” Ron muttered, “dirty smelly things I ruddy hate them look at my hands that evil cockerel has it in for me every time I go near him he bloody pecks me.”

“What did you do yesterday? I thought you were coming back to the castle and then Severus told me you were grounded, I’ve got loads to tell you as well but you can start what did you do?”

“Slow down mate,” Ron laughed I’ll tell you but promise me you won’t have a go or lose your rag.” 

“OK” replied Harry slowly.

 “Well after Snape dragged you out of the bookshop Lockhart started making insin, insin, umm can’t remember the word my dad used now but he started saying nasty things about you and Snape, so I punched him in the face.” Ron’s face was the same colour as his hair.

“You what?” gasped Harry.

“I didn’t like what he was saying so I punched him, I thought my mother was going to kill me on the spot she made me apologize to him and the storeowner.” Ron said a little sheepish now. 

“What was he saying that was so bad?” Harry asked trying his hardest not to laugh.  

“That Snape had an interior motive, I think that was the word he used, for becoming your guardian, why would a Death Eater want to take on the Boy Who Lived except to turn him to the dark?”

“Umm what is a Death Eater?” Harry asked.

“Oh hell mate, err a Death Eater is a follower of You Know Who.” Ron answered.

“And Snape is one?” Harry shouted, jumping up from the ground, “that’s what Umbridge nearly called him this morning before Dumbledore stopped him and it was in the paper as well.”

Harry started towards the house Ron running behind him.

“Calm down Harry.” He shouted as Harry stormed into the house.

“Is it true?” He yelled at Snape, stopping in front of where he was sitting.

“Harry what is the meaning of this? How dare you come in here like this where are your manners?” Snape snapped at Harry a little shocked.

“Is it true? Were you one of his followers?” Harry shouted again his temper nearly at boiling point. “Just when I thought things were going to be alright it comes and bites me on the bloody arse again. When were you going to tell me? Or weren’t you going to bloody bother?”

“Harry James Potter, sit down and listen, and if I hear you use language like that again I will use a soap charm on your mouth, am I understood?” 

Harry looked around shocked at the normally quiet and amiable Arthur Weasley.

“OOH looks like we have arrived home just in time” George, Fred and Ginny were standing by the garden door, what have we missed?”

“Nothing that concerns you.” Molly snapped. “Go outside the three of you I will call you when you can come in.”

“Not fair,” Fred grumbled, “why do we get to miss out on the fun?”

“I’ll show not fair in a minute you will feel my spoon against your behinds if you do not remove yourselves this instant.” Molly said rising from her chair.

The three red heads left in a hurry, they had all been on the receiving end of Molly’s wooden spoon.

Harry had sat in a chair as far away from Snape as he could. He would not look him in the eye.

“Harry please listen, remember I told you I made a grave error and your mother got me out of it well that was it, my mistake. The Dark Lord recruited me when I was young. He promised me things that I will not go into now, he wanted a potions expert and I was made to feel important. Things had gone wrong with your mother and I joined him. It did not take me long to realize that I had made the biggest mistake of my life. Your mother came back into my life and made me go to Dumbledore. I became a spy Harry.

So yes a lot of people believed I was a Death Eater but that was to my benefit I did my job well. Then when he vanished after what happened in Godrics Hollow eleven years ago, I knew at some point he would return, so I kept up my spy persona, the more people who believed I was dark the better. But then you needed me and everything that had gone before faded into insignificance you are more important than keeping up any pretence.

As to telling you, I had every intention of disclosing everything to you when the time was right, you have to admit Harry the last week or so has been rather intense what with everything that has occurred and with the trial that is coming up. Maybe I was wrong and I should have told you in the beginning but I did not and yet again I have made a mistake and I apologise to you.”

Total silence fell on the room when Snape finished talking.

Harry didn’t know what to do or think every time he felt that things were sorted out something else came along to knock him back again. He knew that Snape was being truthful he could feel that the in fact that the man had told him all this in front of the Weasley’s. He looked across at Ron who gave a small shrug. 

“I need to clear my head.” Harry said and went outside. 

Snape went to follow him but Arthur stopped him.

“Leave him a minute or two he needs to absorb this latest information he’ll come around.”

“I really do not know if I am quite up to parenting Snape said, “all I have done the last twenty four hours is make mistakes” 

Molly laughed “I have been a mother for a long time now and I still make mistakes and will probably go on making them long after all the children have left home. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to parenting. You will be fine Severus it is still early days yet and you are both getting to know each other.”         

They were interrupted by one of the twins coming in to the kitchen. He had tied a white rag to a stick and was waving it furiously in front of him as he came in. 

“Please, I come in peace, lower your weapons.”

The people in the house all laughed at the antics of the boy, the tension lifting a little.

“Just thought you might want to know that Harry has gone for a walk by himself,

But don’t worry,” he continued as Snape jumped out of his chair and made to rush out of the house, “Fred is following behind so he won’t get lost.” 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry hadn’t gone that far when he came to a fallen tree by the side of the road.

Not really wanting to get into the same situation he found himself in yesterday by running off, he sat himself down and began to think.

He was so deep in his thoughts he did not hear when Fred came up to him.

“Harry mate are you ok?” He asked sitting down next to him on the tree.

Jumping slightly Harry looked up to see who had joined him.

“Sorry didn’t hear you coming.” Harry said.

“That is obvious,” Fred replied laughing a little, “not being funny Harry but don’t you think you are being a little stupid? I mean you don’t know the area and you have just walked away from the Burrow, you could have got lost or something.”

Harry shrugged his shoulders, “Umm don’t think I’m being rude or anything, but are you Fred or George?”

“Fred,” the twin answered with a smile, “and don’t worry hardly anyone can tell us apart.” 

Harry lapsed back into silence his thoughts still running a mile a minute.

“Harry you can talk to me you know if you want you I won’t say anything to any one if you don’t want me to or if you want me to act as a go between that’s fine by me.”

“I don’t know Fred I just feel so bloody confused, one minute everything is all right and the next.” He shrugged again unable to get across exactly how he was feeling.

“Is this to do with what that idiot Lockhart was saying yesterday about you and Professor Snape?”

Harry nodded.

“Look, tell me to butt out if you want to, but I think you are on to a good thing with Snape. I know he is a grumpy git at the best of times and he has taken more points from Gryffindor house than any of the other professors put together, but I can see that he his a good man really and there are things about him you don’t know and I have given my word that I would not tell any one, so you have to trust me on that one.

My father says, and I quote, ‘Lockhart is nothing more than a pompous bigheaded peacock that likes the sound of his own voice. So don’t take to much notice of what he has to say. You have to give this thing with the Professor a chance and stop running off every time things don’t go smoothly. If George and I did that we would never be home.”

“He was a Death Eater, one of Voldemorts followers.” Harry said quietly.

“I know," Fred replied, “I also know that he realized he made a big mistake and became spy for the light.”

“How do you know?” Harry asked.

“I listen at doors how do you think I find things out? I’m an exceptionally nosy person.”

Harry laughed a little at this.

“He should have told me and not let me find out like this.” Harry’s voice was a little tearful even though he was trying not to let his emotions show.

“Yeah and I should be a beater for the Holyhead Harpies, but that’s the way things are. Tell me Harry do you think that Snape would be teaching at Hogwarts if he were still a Death Eater. Or even better sitting at the kitchen table at the Burrow drinking tea and eating biscuits with my mother?” Fred asked. 

“I suppose when you put it like that,” Harry laughed. 

“Right talking about tea and biscuits, how about we go back to the house and see if they have left us any?”

Harry nodded standing up, “So how good was this punch that Ron landed on Lockhart?” 

“Oh boy Harry you should have seen it, I have never been more proud of my little brother, but of course if you tell him I said that I will of course have to deny it and prank you every day from now till Christmas. I think he actually knocked a couple of teeth out and I swear he broke his nose, though George thinks it was always that shape. But anyhow the place was in uproar and mum was like a banshee.”

Fred rested his arm on Harry’s shoulder as they walked slowly back to the Burrow the twin filling Harry in on all the details that Ron had omitted to tell, and before he knew it he was back at the crooked house. 

Snape had been pacing the floor it had taken the combined efforts of Molly and Arthur to stop him tearing after Harry.

“Leave him to Fred he will bring him back” Arthur had said.

“Severus for the love of Merlin and my sanity, sit down and stop looking so worried everything will be fine.” Molly said pushing the agitated man towards one of the kitchen chairs.

Ginny’s head popped in through the door.

“They are just coming through the gate,” she said.

He sat down but began drumming his fingers on the table.

Molly gave him a dark look.

He stopped.

Harry and Fred walked in to the kitchen Fred with a big smile on his face, Harry with his shoulders slumped and his head down. He was unsure what his reception was going to be.

“Harry are you ok?” Snape asked seeing the boys’ demeanour.

“Are you mad at me?” Harry asked.

“Why would I be mad at you?” Snape replied.

“I sort of run off again.” Harry replied quietly.

“No I am not angry with you, I was worried that you had got yourself lost as you were in a strange place.”

“Sorry, I didn’t think I just needed time to think Harry said apologetically. “Besides Fred caught up with me and we had a talk he made me see things a little clearer.”

“Did he indeed and have you come to a decision?” Snape asked. “Do we need to pack up your belongings?”

“I told you I want to stay with you. Ok I was mad that you hadn’t told me about Voldemort, he ignored the sharp intake of breath from the others in the room, “I guess you would have told me at some point, and I am sorry for speaking to you the way I did and if you want to punish me that is fine.”

“Harry I am not going to punish you this time, you had received quite a shock. But I will not tolerate being spoken to that way any other time, especially in front of others.” Snape knew he had to be firm.

There came a bumping noise from the stairs as Ron appeared dragging his school trunk behind him.

“Well I’m all packed and ready to go,” he said a big grin on his face when he saw Harry standing in the kitchen.

“Where are you going?” Harry asked.

“Haven’t they told you yet?” Ron answered, “We’re going to the seaside.”

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2920