A New Life... Maybe? by reddragon7
Summary: Harry is back at Privet Drive after his first year at Hogwarts.
His Aunt and Uncle have beaten and starved him since his return.
His cousin, Dudley takes matters into his own hands.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Other, Petunia, Ron, Shacklebolt, Umbridge, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 31093 Read: 54152 Published: 26 Feb 2013 Updated: 26 May 2013
Chapter 3 by reddragon7
Author's Notes:
I'm not going to follow a timeline here. I'm introducing characters from books into my story (just because I can), that don't appear until later but I wanted a young Harry to come up against these people.

"I always said you were a manipulative old sod Albus," Snape chuckled in response to Dumbledore's statement.

Well you don't get to live as long I have without learning a few tricks he said.

"But I need to ask a great favour of you I need you take on the boy's guardianship."

"Why me, I'm not qualified to look after him he's going to need something more than I can give him."

"I think your selling yourself sort son." Albus said, "I believe you are just what Harry needs. He has a long hard road ahead of him and I need to make sure he has the right person to guide him, he needs someone strong but compassionate, someone who has a capacity to love like he has."

Snape snorted, "I certainly think you've got the wrong wizard now or your hat is on too tight"

"And", Dumbledore continued ignoring Snape's interruption, "if the minister gets involved he will just become a poster boy someone to bring out when he needs extra publicity, Harry needs a life he needs a home, he needs love."

"But what is he going to think when he wakes, if he wakes and finds the professor that gave him hell all last year is now in control of his life?"

Severus you promised Lily remember" and by tone of Dumbledore 's voice Snape knew he had lost. Any other argument was futile.

"Fine Albus I'll leave it to you, but I'm going to have to get Harry to the infirmary he needs to be there now, I've done all I can for him here."

"Can you set a port key for us I think that is going to be safest way to move him?"

He started gathering all his potions and the diagnosis parchment, I haven't had time to look at this yet so I have no real idea what his injuries are."

In preparation to move Harry, Snape placed a cushioning spell on him to try and protect his body from any Further injury."

Dumbledore picked up broken toy soldier off the floor and waved his hand over it saying "PORTUS", the toy gave off a blue light for a couple of seconds.

"I'll let Poppy know you are on your way, Dumbledore said, "then Arthur will need to go to the Ministry we will need a couple of aurours to escort those delightful people away."

"That, I will leave in your capable hands Albus," Snape said as he bent to lift Harry, "

"Dear God there's nothing of him, he's just skin and bone,"

He said as he picked him up, "they've bloody starved him too."

Albus shook his head. "Do your best for him my boy I know if anyone can make him well it will be you and Poppy," his eyes devoid of their usual twinkle.

"I only hope my best will be good enough this time old man." Snape replied.

Dumbledore handed him the port key, "I have every faith in you my boy."

" I think a miracle is needed more than your bloody faith." The younger man replied as the toy glowed and both Snape and Harry disappeared in a flash of blue light.

Albus Dumbledore stood alone in the dark room; the tears that had threatened when he had first walked into the room and seen Harry, flowing freely down his wrinkled face.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Snape stepped away from the port key as he landed in the infirmary, Harry Potter cradled gently in his arms.

"Poppy, his breathing is worse," he called as he placed him onto the nearest bed. "I stabilised him as best I could at the house so I could move him and used a cushioning charm but I think the movement may have punctured a lung. I didn't have time to read the diagnosis sheet before we left."

The matron waved her wand over Harry's chest,

"It doesn't look like the lung has collapsed but I think it is punctured she said, "I don't think the move would have caused it though, not with the cushioning charm,"

Muttering a spell and again waving her wand over Harry.

"That should do for now until we check his entire injuries."

Harry's breathing had indeed become easier and Snape felt a wave of relief wash over him. The thought that he had caused more damage to the boy made him feel physically sick.

"Right lets have a look and see what those people have done to him then shall we" the no nonsense matron said, holding her hand out to Snape for the parchment which held the details of Harry's injuries.

INJURIES TO ONE HARRY JAMES POTTER; AGED 11 YEARS; MINOR;

DATED JULY 28 1993

HAIRLINE FRACTURES TO SKULL X3 small amount of swelling to the brain no bleeding

BOTH CHEEK BONES FRACTURED.

JAWBONE FRACTURED IN TWO PLACES

FOUR TEETH MISSING

BROKEN NOSE (old and new)

FRACTURES TO SEVERAL BONES IN NECK stable no damage to spinal cord

BRUISING AROUND THROAT AND VOCAL CORDS conducive to pressure being placed on the throat (old and new)

SIX BROKEN RIBS (old and new)

PUNCTURED RIGHT LUNG not collapsed

BREAKS AND HAIRLINE FRACTURES TO BONES IN ARMS AND HANDS (old and new)

BREAKS AND HAIRLINE FRACTURES TO BONES IN LEGS AND FEET (old and new)

SEVERE BRUSING TO 90% OF BODY EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL

BURN TO ARMS, LEGS, BACK, STOMACH AND CHEST (old and new)

LACERATIONS TO BACK AND LOWER EXTREMITIES most probably caused by a leather belt, scarring and some infected sores

MALNUTRITION

DEHYDRATION

There is no sign of any sexual abuse and apart from the small amount of swelling to the brain and the punctured lung all other organs are clear of any major damage.

"Right Snape, the matron said her medical training taking over. Sizing up the small boy laying in the bed knowing it wasn't her pity or tears he needed now.

"First thing lets get him into a gown," and with a wave of her wand and the raggedy clothes that Harry was wearing disappeared and in their place a clean hospital gown, "that's better, now lets start at the top and work our way down."

"I need to remove the swelling on the brain, I know it's only slight but I don't want it getting any worse. Then we can start to work on fixing his bones there's no point trying to reduce his temperature while he has so many breaks. When that's done we can start on the wounds on his back get them cleaned up, hopefully then that will help with the fever, at least his breathing is steadier now."

"This is going to be a long night, I'll send a message down to Molly Weasley, I sent her and Ron down to the kitchens to get some food just before you came, we are going to need her help."

The matron and the potion master worked well into the night. Madam Pomfrey casting spells whilst Snape spelled potion after healing potion into the unconscious Harry. At some point Molly and Ron had joined them. Ron sitting quietly on the bed opposite Harry, watching as the adults worked diligently on his best friend.

It was around dawn when Ron had fallen asleep that the three adults finally stopped working on Harry.

"Well said Madam Pomfrey we have done all that we can it's up to him now, it seems he is in a more natural sleep, and with the amount of potions he has in his system it should be a while before he wakes up."

"I suggest we take it in turns to rest now," said Snape. "If you and Molly would like to and have a lay down I'll stay with Harry then one of you can relieve me in perhaps an hour?"

The two women were exhausted and readily agreed with his suggestion and so went into Poppy's office to lie down.

Snape sat down on the chair next to the bed and run his hand across Harry's forehead checking his temperature was still normal; he then began running his fingers through the boy's messy hair gently pushing it away from Harry's face.

Sighing tiredly, Snape smiled sadly at the sleeping boy. "I am so sorry Harry, he said, "I have failed you. I promised your mother I would protect you and I haven't, I broke my word. I spent last year seeing you as a clone of your father instead of seeing you as a person in your own right. Had I not been so blinded by my own prejudice I might have seen things were not right in your home and now you are laying here because of me, I'm so very sorry Harry and I swear to you I will some how make it up to you."

"I'll hold you to that sir." A very weak voice replied from the bed

Harry was awake at last.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Meanwhile at Number 4 Privet Drive.

After Snape had left with Harry, Dumbledore went downstairs to deal with the Dursleys. He knew he would have to tread carefully with the boy, he may have done the right thing by his cousin but these people were still his parents and he was still a child.

'I've already made a colossal mistake with one child's life, he thought I really need to think carefully before I do the same with another one.'

Dudley was no longer at the bottom of the stairs when Dumbledore came back down. So he went straight into the room where Arthur Weasley and the two adult Dursleys' were.

'I'll speak to the child later he thought one problem at a time.'

Vernon was glowering at Arthur, but his face had lost its usual ruddy colour and had taken on a sickly green hue. Petunia had her head in her hands and was visibly shaking.

"Everything ok in here Arthur?" asked Dumbledore.

"Fine" Arthur replied "been getting on like a house on fire haven't we? Just been explaining to these two all about our justice system and how our court proceedings work and what our prison is like and of course the dementors."

There was a nasty little grin on the face of Arthur Weasley, quite reminiscent of his twin sons when they were up to no good, as he explained to Dumbledore what he had been telling the Dursleys, he had obviously been enjoying himself immensely.

"Oh what very good idea" said Dumbledore "I always say a little bit of knowledge goes a long way."

" Arthur maybe now is the time for you to pop to the ministry and get what is needed."

"If you think so Albus it won't take me long shouldn't be to many people about at this time to ask any awkward questions." Answered the red headed man, still grinning.

"No we don't want anyone interrupting us do we," Dumbledore mused running his hand down his beard, his eyes twinkling merrily knowing the Dursleys were getting more and more uncomfortable as the two of them carried out their cryptic conversation.

" I don't like the thought of people getting in the way of my plans." Dumbledore said.

Arthur gave Dumbledore a small nod, turned on the spot and was gone.

"What are you going to do with us?" Asked Petunia in a small voice

"All in good time my good woman replied Dumbledore.

"Now I'm going to have a nice chat with your son, Dudley isn't it."

"You leave Dudders alone" Petunia spat out, "he's got nothing to do with any of this."

"Oh Petunia my dear that's where you are so very wrong, who do you think called us?"

"Oh and in case either of you get any ideas, 'IMOBILUS' Dumbledore waved his arms at the two Dursleys and they went completely rigid, can't have you trying to run away now can we?"

He turned on his heal and went to look for Dudley.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2920