A New Life... Maybe? by reddragon7
Summary: Harry is back at Privet Drive after his first year at Hogwarts.
His Aunt and Uncle have beaten and starved him since his return.
His cousin, Dudley takes matters into his own hands.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Other, Petunia, Ron, Shacklebolt, Umbridge, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 31093 Read: 54152 Published: 26 Feb 2013 Updated: 26 May 2013
Chapter 4 by reddragon7
Author's Notes:
There is one use of the F word in this chapter, I apologise if it offends anyone.

Dudley was sitting by the kitchen table a half eaten family sized tub of ice cream next to him. He looked sheepishly at the old man as he sat down next to him.

“Comfort food.” He said.

“I understand I like sweet things too.” Dumbledore replied smiling. “Now I think its time for us to have our talk don’t you?”

“Why did you do it?’ why did you write that letter?”

Dudley gave a small shrug.

“ I don’t know really, I’ve never liked him, but that’s because my parents always told me that he was a waste of space and only good for doing chores and things. They gave me everything and I thought that was ok; he only ever had my hand me downs, never anything for himself.

We never celebrated his birthday he was not allowed to join us for Christmas. Up until his letter came from that school he slept in the cupboard under the stairs. They were scared of him I can see that now. He was never allowed to ask questions. Especially about his family he was told they were no good drunks and layabouts and had been killed in a car crash.

 My father would beat him for not finishing chores or, I’m ashamed to say, for something I would do. I would deliberately get Harry into trouble, just to see him punished. My mother wouldn’t hit as much as my dad but her words could be just as cruel. I was told to make sure he had no friends. My mates and I would harass anyone who would talk to him or want to play with him until they gave up I suppose I’m just as bad as them."

Dudley’s speech become more mechanical as he confessed to the headmaster, the treatment Harry had endured from them over the years. 

  He looked at the man sitting at the table next to him expecting to see nothing but contempt on his face but was surprised to see a small, sad smile instead.

“You can’t help the way your raised my boy he said you’ve done the right thing now. Why was this time so different?”

“I got into trouble at my school, I had a detention with my headmaster.” He continued.

“My parents have never raised a hand to me in my life. They had never even told me off.  What ever I wanted I got even if I had to throw the mother of all tantrums to get it."

"My school practices corporal punishment, swats on the bum with an old gym shoe. It hurt, a, lot. It is always done last thing at night so you go to bed with a smarting arse. It was the last night before the holidays and I was lying in my bed crying up a storm thinking that my world had ended, when I realised, Harry lived through worse than this. My parents were abusers they had abused him since he was a baby and I let it happen and I was crying because I had my bum smacked a few times. So I decided that if things were still the same this summer then I would try and do something to help.

For the first week or so it wasn’t to bad, ok they took all his school things off him and locked them away apart from the owl and made him work but they didn’t hit him about too much, I think we were all a bit scared that he would turn us into toads or something. I tried to sneak him some food now and again but I had to be careful I wasn’t caught.

 Then yesterday my mother remembered that when her sister was Harry’s age she wasn’t allowed to do magic outside school and all hell broke loose, and they just went mental and beat him for no reason.

My Father shouting that he had had enough of his freakishness and the threats he, Harry that is, had hinted at since he had returned from that freak school about using magic on them, he laid in to him like a mad man, he really lost the plot. My mother snapped the belt on his back she hit him so hard.”

Dudley began sobbing at this memory,

 “Harry didn’t make a sound in fact I can’t remember the last time I heard him cry, it’s been years, I think they made the punishment worse if he did."

"I’m so sorry Mr Dumbledore sir, I should have done something sooner, I should have stopped it, I didn’t and I should have and if I had Harry would be ok and, and.”

 Dudley words were now incoherent through the tears as he finally broke down.

Dumbledore gently took the sobbing boy by the shoulders.

“Come, Come, my boy,” he said  “You are a child and really did not understand what the adults in your life were doing and no one will hold that against you. You have done the very best for your cousin now. You have seen an injustice and have tried to set it right and it is a very brave and grown up thing you have done, to go against ones family is a very difficult thing to do at any age, but you have shown remarkable maturity everything will work out I assure you.”

Dudley looked directly into Dumbledore’s eyes and with a sob asked “I understand that they have to be punished for what they’ve done, but what’s gonna happen to me?”

The loud bang that accompanied someone apparating alerted Dumbledore to the fact that Arthur Weasley had returned from the ministry.

“Let me deal with them in there and then I’ll come back and we’ll work out what’s to be done ok?”

Dudley gave the elderly wizard a small smile and nod, 

“Ok sir I’ll wait here shall I?” he asked

“I think it would be better if you were to back a bag with a few belongings because we will be taking your parents at some point to answer questions and you won’t be able to stay on your own so we will have to find somewhere for you to stay.” Dumbledore replied.

“Umm ok but I don’t really want to see them and I have to pass the room their in” Dudley said quietly.

“I understand entirely, I tell what I’ll do, I’ll go in and close the door then you can go passed, will that be alright?” Dumbledore asked kindly.

“That’ll be great sir thanks Dudley answered. 

 Whilst he waited for Dumbledore to go and close the door, Dudley began to think about Harry wondering if he was ok, and if he would ever get to see him again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dumbledore joined Arthur and the Dursley’s in the lounge closing the door behind him like he’d promised the boy.

“Did you get what was required?” he asked as he entered the room.

“Yes” replied the red headed wizard; I was also able to get hold of Bones and Shacklebolt.

“And no problems with any one?” Asked Dumbledore

“No one in that particular department at this time of night so I was able to get what was needed and get away without anybody seeing me.” Arthur replied.

Shall we get on with it then Albus?”

“Yes the sooner we do this the better for all I suppose” he said

Albus looked at he Dursleys who were quite frankly by now the colour of two-day-old porridge at the exchange between the two wizards, both were wondering, fearing, what was going to be done to them.

“Oh there’s no need to look so scared,” said Dumbledore genially as he released them from the holding charm.

“What are you going to do to us?" Vernon asked his voice shaking. 

“I’m not going to do anything at all Dumbledore replied, “I just want you to sign some papers.”

“And why would we do that we could be signing anything we could be signing over our home to you or to that worthless boy?" Petunia spat out.”

“Do not try me Woman," Dumbledore growled, “I have been very affable up till now. These papers are to release you from Harry Potters guardianship you will sign him over to our care. Once you have done that all links to him will be broken, you will have no control over any part of his life again."

“What’s in it for us.” Vernon snarled not doing it if there’s nothing in it for us never wanted the brat in the first place.”

“That much is obvious by the way you treated him, but you sign these and there will be no comebacks on either of you. You walk away.” replied Dumbledore

Vernon looked at his wife and she nodded.

“Fine he said we’ll sign.”

Dumbledore handed the parchment to Petunia and showed her where to sign and then did the same to Vernon.

“Ok”, Vernon said “we signed your piece of bloody paper now you can get out of my house.”

“I’ve not quite finished yet” said Dumbledore, “Arthur if you please,”

Mr Weasley went to the front door and let in the two wizards that had been waiting patiently outside for entry to the house.

“Vernon, Petunia may I introduce Kingsley Shacklebolt and Madam Amelia Bones from the Ministry of Magic’s Auror Department, they are here to arrest you for the attack on Harry Potter, but I’ll let them read the charges to you.”

Vernon Dursley & Petunia Dursley both of No: 4 Privet Drive Little Whinging Surrey.

You are both hereby charged for the offences of:

The assault and attempted murder of Harry James Potter, Minor, also of No 4 Privet Drive Little Whinging Surrey. Other charges include: Wilful neglect continued and prolonged punishments of an unjust nature, failure to provide nourishment, failure to provide a safe environment.  You will be held in the ministry cells until your trial.

 SIGNED: Madame A. Bones. Head of Auror department. 

Before Kingsley’s deep voice finished reading the charges Vernon was yelling at Dumbledore “I signed your Fucking paper, you told us there would be no come backs, you said if we signed we would just walk away.”

“Yes well," said Dumbledore as he watched Kingsley and Madam Bones prepare to escort the Dursley’s away by port key,

“I lied.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“I’ll hold you to that sir.”

“Harry your awake, thank God.”

“What happened sir, where am I?” Harry croaked his mouth dry and his throat sore.

“Your in Hogwarts infirmary, I brought you here yesterday evening from your home, you were in a bad way can you remember anything?”

“No sir.”

“Don’t worry about it now.” Snape said as he heard movement from the bed across the way.

“Sir is that Harry?” Asked Ron “is he awake?”

“Yes Mr Weasley he is, perhaps you would be so kind as to go and inform Madam Pomfrey and your mother of the fact, they are resting in the office." 

“Ok professor I’ll fetch them now and then can I see Harry?”

“Let us check a few things first then I don’t see why not.” Snape replied

Ron practically flew across to the office calling to the two women inside,

“Harry’s awake,” as he opened the door startling both of the occupants out of their slumber, “he’s awake and talking.”

Snape gave a small smile as he watched Ron and then turned his attention back to Harry.

“Now Mr Potter, he said I need you to refrain from talking too much, you had some nasty injuries to your vocal cords, they have been healed but your throat is going to be sore for a while, as will the rest of you. We have had to repair quite a few broken bones as well as cuts and bruising to most of your body. The cuts and bruises are greatly improved but they will take some time to heal completely. So for now you need plenty of rest. Do you understand?” Snape said not wanting to upset Harry but needing to explain to the boy in some way the extent of his injuries.

Harry nodded, tears forming in his eyes he was feeling disorientated and weak and he couldn’t remember what had happened to him, had he been in some sort of accident?  And why was Snape being so nice to him?”

Snape could see Harry was getting distressed but before he could do anything Mrs Weasley and the matron came rushing out of the office, Ron following close behind.

Hearing the others approach Harry quickly wiped the tears from his eyes.

“Harry sweetheart, you gave us quite a scare” Mrs. Weasley said as she bent over and gave him a kiss and a very gentle squeeze.

“Yes indeed,” Madam Pomfrey agreed, “quite a scare but I think you are on the road to recovery now. You will be weak and get tired easily for a while, as we have had to pump some very strong potions into you and are seriously underweight. The matron had got her wand out and started to scan Harry checking his vitals whilst she talked, “I will put you on a special diet for a while to help build you up and you will have to take supplementary potions as well. You will need plenty of rest as well she said scanning his body. Hmm good, good every thing seems to be fine no need to do anything else at the moment all the swelling to the brain has gone and everything else is healing nicely.”

Madam Pomfrey smiled and nodded. “Now remember plenty of rest and try not to talk too much ok.”

Harry nodded, “But do you think I could have a drink?” he whispered not wanting to strain his voice, “I’m really thirsty.”

“Of course you can but just water for now and only small sips, I don’t want you to vomit.”

Ron went and poured a glass of water from the jug that was beside the bed he had been sleeping in.

 “Here you go mate,” he said as he handed it to Harry.

 Mrs Weasley placed her arms around him and had gently lifted him into a sitting position.

Harry took the drink from Ron but his hands were shaking so much he spilled most of it onto the bedclothes.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” he whispered, cowering into Mrs Weasleys arms.

“Don’t worry Harry love,” Mrs Weasley said to the shaking boy, “ it was an accident.”

Snape took the glass from him. “Here he said, “Let me help you.” and he lifted the drink carefully to Harry’s lips, “remember now just small sips. Ok, have you had enough?”

Harry nodded gave Snape a small smile of thanks and rested back,

“Tired now,” he murmured. 

“That’s fine love,” said Mrs Weasley, “let me just sort your pillows and dry off your blankets then you can snuggle down and have a nice sleep.”

Mrs Weasley had barely finished putting Harry’s bed in order when his eyes closed and he was once again in a deep sleep. 

"Maybe now would be a good time for you to go and have a rest Severus," Madam Pomfrey whispered "you’ve been up all night and he should sleep for a while." 

"I might go and grab half an hour." He said. "To have a shower and shave, but if I’m honest with you I’m beyond tired."

"You go sir," Ron said "I’ll sit with him in case he wakes up. Mum do you want to go home for a bit." 

"I should really pop back, I left Percy in charge, but the thought of leaving the twins with out adult supervision for any length of time, she gave a slight shudder, yes I’ll go home for a couple of hours to make sure everything is ok if that’s alright with you?" she looked at Madam Pomfrey.

"Certainly Molly," Madam Pomfrey replied "take as long as you need everything should be fine here now I can’t see there being any problems, you can floo from my office."

"Ronnie, I’ll bring you back some clean clothes so you can have a shower and change later ok?" she gave her youngest son a kiss and ruffled his hair. "See you soon."

She followed the matron into her office. 

"You can go now as well sir." Ron said to Snape "I’ll keep on eye on Harry he’ll be fine with me. And professor, thank you."

"For what may I ask Mr Weasley?”

“For what you did sir, you saved him. I saw what his relatives did to him, I can’t believe anyone could do that, but you got him away from them.”

“I believe your father and Professor Dumbledore had some involvement as well.”

Ron looked at his potions professor and blushed, his face the same colour as his hair,

“Yeah but I heard what you said to Harry, you know before, when you thought we were all sleeping, about it being your fault. I don’t believe that, I’m supposed to be his best mate and I didn’t see what was going on neither did anyone else including Hermione and she doesn’t miss anything. And what about the other teachers none of them noticed anything either, Harry is good at hiding things.”

“Thank you Ronald, but I trust what you heard will not be openly discussed,” Snape raised his eyebrow.

“No sir course not that’s between you and Harry.”

“Right Mr Weasley I’m going to take you up on your offer and go and freshen up I won’t be long. Madam Pomfrey is in her office if you need her; I am entrusting you not to disturb him he needs to recuperate.”

Snape left Ron sitting by Harry's bed and walked into the matrons office.

“Poppy, can I use your fire it’ll be quicker than walking down to the dungeons, young Mr Weasley is with Harry now but I don’t want to leave him too long.”

“Take your time Severus, I’m not going anywhere so if he wakes I can see to him.I am a qualified mediwitch after all.”

“I know that Poppy, but I’m going to be Harry’s guardian and I take my responsibilities seriously. And leaving the shocked matron he stepped into the fire and flooed to his rooms.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dumbledore watched as the to Dursleys were taken away.

He turned to Arthur Weasley you get off now “I’ll get in touch later when we’re needed for our statements”

“Fine, Albus but what are you going to do about the Dursley boy?”

“I will stay with him and try and find out if he has any other relatives” came the reply.

“Do you want me to stay with you another hour or so won’t make much difference to me?”  Mr Weasley asked fighting to hold back a yawn.

“No, no you head off and get some rest with any luck we should have some news about Harry soon.” Dumbledore replied smiling.

“Ok Albus but what about you, you must be as exhausted as me?”

“On the contrary Arthur I don’t seem too need as much sleep these days.”

“If you say so Albus, Mr Weasley replied. “I’ll expect to hear from you as soon as I’m needed for the statements.”

Once again Mr Weasley apperated out of the house.

 Dumbledore went in search of Dudley.

He found him upstairs sitting on his bed an overnight bag by his feet.

“I see your ready to go,” Dumbledore said sitting on the bed next to him.

“You’ve taken them then.” Dudley asked sadly, suddenly realising he was on his own.

“Yes they have gone,” Dumbledore replied patting the boys’ large hand.

“You do understand why we had to take them?”

“Yes I know but,” Dudley shrugged his shoulders, “I’m on my own now where am I going to go and will I ever see them again?”

“You may have to testify at their trial. But I might be able to get you in to see them before that if you want to.”

“Oh right, I don’t know, can I think about it?”

“Of course there’s no rush.”

“Now Mr Dursley, tell me have you any other relatives that you know of?”

“There’s my Aunt Marge. She’s my dad’s sister, oh boy is she gonna be pissed when she finds out what I’ve done, she hates Harry as much as they do." 

“Hmm mused Dumbledore it’s quite possible she won’t find out that it was you who informed on them.”

“She’s bound to.”

“Not really. I am a wizard after all.”

“Oh yeah,” and a big smile lit up the large round face of Dudley, maybe things would be ok after all.

“The thing is son I don’t really have any say in what happens in the muggle world” explained Dumbledore.

“Muggle?”

 “Non magic.”

“Oh so what your saying is I don’t really have a choice I have to go and stay with Aunt Marge.”

“I think so Dudley unless I can find out that you have anyone else who can take you I think that is your only option.”

“That’s ok I’ll be fine with her really, she spoils me rotten he said with a little grin, “when will we be going?”

“Someone from the ministry’s child welfare department will be along soon to talk to you and they will probably take you.”

“I really am sorry you know, for not helping him sooner, you will tell me if he’s ok won’t you?” for the first time that evening Dumbledore saw Dudley for the little boy he still was.

"I promise you I will keep you informed and you will see Harry again just as soon as I can arrange things and you can tell him yourself.”

"I doubt he would want to talk to me after the things I’ve done.”

“The one thing I’ve learned about Mr Potter in the time I’ve known him is he is that he has a very generous soul so if you are sincere in your apology I believe he will forgive you.”

“I hope so.” Dudley smiled you know something apart from your weird clothes your not that different from us really.”

“Dumbledore laughed, “Why thank you, I think,

"Perhaps while we are waiting I could gather Harry’s belongings together so I can take them with me when I leave.”

 “They are locked away in the cupboard under the stairs, Dudley said leading Dumbledore out of the room and downstairs, “my father put them there as soon as he got back. He tried to get into his trunk but he couldn’t open it got him really mad.”   

Dudley stopped by a small cupboard door and pointed “in there,” and that’s where he slept till last year.”

Dumbledore waving his hand across the door to unlock it didn’t respond to the last comment and just bent down and peered into the cramped space.

He could just make out the pictures that remained on the wall testament that someone indeed had inhabited that space. Pulling Harry’s trunk out Dumbledore then shrunk it down and placed it in his pocket.

“Wow that was cool,” grinned Dudley.

“How about we go and sit in there with a nice cup of tea, I know I could do with one?” Dumbledore asked seeing the boy beginning to flag as the hour became late.

“I don’t know how to make one.” Dudley hung his head ashamedly.

“But I do said the wizard and he took his wand from up his sleeve and with a couple of waves two mugs of steaming hot tea appeared on the coffee table in the middle of the room along with a sugar bowl, milk jug and a plate of biscuits.

“Brilliant” said Dudley “I’m beginning to like magic, wish I could do it.”

They sat in silence for a while drinking their tea when the door bell rang

“That’ll be the ministry,” Dumbledore said and got up to answer the door.

Listening to the mumering he could hear coming from the hallway, Dudley sank back in his chair, he didn’t really want the white haired old wizard to leave him with someone else he had been so kind. He looked up when he came back into the room followed by a young woman.

“Dudley this is Amanda Fellows, she is the person I told you about, the one who will take you to your aunts.”

The woman smiled at Dudley and held out her hand

“Hello pleased to meet you, I’m going to stay here with you for the rest of the night and then I’ll take you over to your aunt’s house later tomorrow morning” she said “is that ok with you?”

Dudley gave her a small nod feeling very shy all of a sudden.

Dumbledore spoke “There’s nothing to worry about son.”

“I’ll come and see you as soon as you are settled with your aunt but now I really must go and see how things are with Harry. You’ll be all right with Amanda.”

Dudley gave Dumbledore a hug, “thank you for everything sir and tell Harry I’m sorry.”

“I will,” he said “and thank you, for I believe your actions tonight saved your cousin and that is something you should always be proud of. I for one am proud of you.”

He held the boy at arms length and looked him in the eyes as he said this.

Dumbledore then stepped away from Dudley and with a small nod to both of them and a flash of purple robes, was gone.

 

 

 

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2920