A New Life... Maybe? by reddragon7
Summary: Harry is back at Privet Drive after his first year at Hogwarts.
His Aunt and Uncle have beaten and starved him since his return.
His cousin, Dudley takes matters into his own hands.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Other, Petunia, Ron, Shacklebolt, Umbridge, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 31093 Read: 54153 Published: 26 Feb 2013 Updated: 26 May 2013
Chapter 8 by reddragon7
Author's Notes:
I would like to dedicate this chapter to my cousin 'Joy' who 2 days ago lost her battle to cancer. love you alwaysxx

Snape ran, following the sound of the scream.

“Hang on Harry I’m coming.” he yelled.

“Oh hell please be ok,” Snape said as he tripped over a root that was stickingup out of the ground and went sprawling.   

Dumbledore caught up with him and helped him up, if the situation hadn’t been so dire he would have laughed at seeing the normally stoic potions professor flat out on the floor. 

Snape didn’t say anything. The look that he gave the Headmaster as he took the hand offered to pull himself up was enough. He started running again desperate to get to Harry and to help him out of whatever trouble he was in.

Dumbledore and McGonagall close behind. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry dropped is wand and the light went out. He covered his head, curled up into a ball and prepared for the attack.

The panting creature slowly came closer. He could now feel its hot breath on the exposed arms that were protecting his head. He waited for the first bite of those teeth.

Two paws landed on him with a force that pushed him onto his back. Pinning him to the floor, here it comes thought hoping that it would be over quick. Remembering the bites that he had received from aunt Marge’s dog and its teeth were half the size of this creature.

The snout coming closer, Harry was trembling, and it pushed its way under the arms still protecting the head. A cold nose making him jump and yelp snuffled his ear. A long wet tongue licked his cheek.

He passed out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Harry’s opened his eyes everything was blurry and he couldn’t make out where he was. All he knew was that it was not the forest. He was laying on something soft and warm not hard like the forest floor. His ankle was no longer hurting.

“Harry your awake, here” and he felt his glasses being placed in his hand. He put them on.

“What happened?” He asked sitting up realizing he was back in his room in the dungeons. 

“Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall and myself found you. We heard your yell and followed the sound. Snape was standing at the bottom of his bed looking tired but relieved.

“We assumed the animal was attacking you and Professor McGonagall stunned it. I picked you up and carried you back here. I checked you over and realized that you hadn’t been bitten at all.” 

“Are you ready to tell me what happened before we got to you?” 

Harry shook his head and asked, “What was it? All I saw was eyes and teeth” 

“It was a young wolf cub.”

"Where is it now?" Harry asked

"I have no idea" Snape replid "Professor Dumbledore took it somewhere."  

Snape sat on the bed next to Harry. Harry moved away slightly.

“We need to talk, I need to explain I need to apologise.” 

“Have you spoken to the Weasley’s?” Harry asked ignoring him, Ron thought that he was staying here again to night.” 

“I have, I’ve explained to them and Ron will return in a few days, he is on a punishment at the moment no doubt he will explain it to you when he returns.” 

“Harry I am truly sorry for today, I behaved abominably. You could have been seriously injured or killed, when I heard your scream I thought the worse, I thought I had lost you. 

Harry looked directly into Snapes black eyes dare he trust this man he had already hurt him once. Yes he had shown a caring side but was that just for the benefit of others. Could he really change? Harry was so confused. 

“Do you mind sir I’m still a little tired?” he said and Harry turned his back to Snape and closed his eyes.  

“Fine Harry,” Snape said as he got up off the bed smoothing the messy hair. “We’ll talk tomorrow. Sleep well”

Snape spelled the lights off and left the room.

Harry rolled onto his back the minute Snape was out of the room. Staring into the darkness he could feel his chest tighten and his eyes well up with tears he did not want to cry, he had cried enough. Maybe he should listen to what Snape had to say.

 After all what did he have to lose?

Snape was sitting by the fire when there came a knock at the door, looking at the spy parchment and seeing Dumbledore and McGonagall’s names on it he waved the wards away to allow them in.

“How is he?” McGonagall asked as soon as she came through the door.

“Awake, but refusing to talk to me.” Answered Snape.

“What exactly happened today to cause him to run into the forest? I would have thought after what happened in there last year that is the last place he would want to be.” McGonagall asked pulling out a bottle of whisky from her robes and fetching some glasses poured three very healthy measures.

Taking a large swig out of the drink he was handed he sat down and explained what had happened that day.

“I just don’t understand it” Dumbledore said, “Everything was fine between you up until this morning why the sudden change?” 

“Albus you seem to think that the ministry will just roll over and allow me to have Harry without any interference, I can’t help but feel that I am in for a fight and when you said this morning you expected a visit from Fudge and Umbridge I thought that the fight was about to start and I was not ready. I took it out on Harry; I ruined what should have been a wonderful day for him and accused him of attention seeking all because I was not ready to stand up for what is mine.” 

Snape put his glass down on the little table in front of him he poured himself another large drink and downed it in one.

“The answer to your problems is not at the bottom of a bottle mind you Severus,” McGonagall said. “I know I brought the drink but it’s only because I thought we could all do with one.”

“I don’t think he will ever forgive me, if you saw the look on his face; he accused me of being just like them, like those damnable muggles.” 

“I didn’t mean it sir.” Snapes’ head shot up when he heard Harry’s voice. “I was just angry at you.”

“Harry, I thought you were tired” Snape said.

“I heard voices” he replied.

McGonagall placed her glass on the table, “Albus I think that this is our cue to leave,” she said. 

“I don’t know Minerva maybe we should perhaps just stay and….”but McGonagall cut him off. 

“No you meddling old coot they have to sort this out themselves and no matter how good or noble your intentions, they do not need your input.” she raised her eyebrow doing a remarkable imitation of Professor Snape.

McGonagall went over to Harry and shocked him by pulling him into a hug,

“I am very happy that you are ok Harry.” She dropped her voice, “Give Severus a chance he is a good man you did not see him in the forest.” And she kissed an astounded Harry on the cheek and wished him goodnight. 

Dumbledore held his hand out to him and said, “Well my boy I will see you tomorrow.” and shook Harry’s hand. 

When the two visitors had left Harry sat on the couch opposite his guardian. Not knowing what to do or say he started fiddling with a loose thread on his pyjama top. 

“Harry, are you hungry you have had nothing to eat all day?” asked Snape.

Harry shrugged “A little I guess.” 

“I’ll send for something from the kitchens if you want or I could make you a sandwich.” Snape said.

“A sandwich will be fine thanks,” Harry replied.

“I won’t be long.” And Snape went into the small self-contained kitchen just off the lounge. Harry could hear him moving around as he prepared his food. 

Snape came back carrying a tray with a plate of ham sandwiches, a bowl of crisps and a mug of tea. Beside the plate was a vial of potion. He set it down on the table and told Harry to help himself. “Eat as little or as much as you want, the plate will keep refilling itself until you have had enough but please take the potion.” he said and sat back and watched as Harry ate his fill. 

They sat in silence as Harry ate, Snape helping himself to one or two of the sandwiches and a handful of crisps. But as soon as he finished Snape could not restrain himself any longer.

“Harry I am really very sorry I don’t know how many more times I can say it to you before you believe me?” Snape said again hoping to get through to the boy.

“I Know sir, I kind of believe you. And I didn’t really mean it when I said you were like them. I only said it to hurt you and I am sorry too. Harry hung his head not wanting to look Snape in the eyes.     

Snape went and sat alongside Harry on the couch.

“How about we start again?” Snape asked

Harry looked at him a little confused. “What do you mean sir?”

Snape held his hand out to Harry. 

“Hello my name is Severus Snape. I would like to be your guardian and I promise to take care of you.”

Harry took his hand. “Hello Severus I think would like that very much.”

Just outside the chamber door McGonagall turned to Dumbledore

“Right are you satisfied now can we go I would like to go to bed some time tonight?” She asked “I thought you were not worried in the slightest and yet here you are skulking around in the corridors eavesdropping She carried on the tirade not allowing the wizard to get a word in edge ways.”

Dumbledore held his hand up

“I know Minnie but I just wanted to be sure that my boys were going to be alright, but you are right as usual it is time to retire, besides I need to check on my guest.”

“What guest? Oh for love of Merlin, Albus PLEASE, PLEASE, don’t tell me you have that bloody wolf in your chambers?” 

And with a twinkle in his eye Dumbledore winked at McGonagall blew her a kiss and walked away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2920