A New Life... Maybe? by reddragon7
Summary: Harry is back at Privet Drive after his first year at Hogwarts.
His Aunt and Uncle have beaten and starved him since his return.
His cousin, Dudley takes matters into his own hands.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Other, Petunia, Ron, Shacklebolt, Umbridge, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 31093 Read: 54162 Published: 26 Feb 2013 Updated: 26 May 2013

1. Chapter 1 by reddragon7

2. Chapter 2 by reddragon7

3. Chapter 3 by reddragon7

4. Chapter 4 by reddragon7

5. Chapter 5 by reddragon7

6. Chapter 6 by reddragon7

7. Chapter 7 by reddragon7

8. Chapter 8 by reddragon7

9. Chapter 9 by reddragon7

10. Chapter 10 by reddragon7

11. Chapter 11 by reddragon7

Chapter 1 by reddragon7

Harry Potter the boy who lived what a joke if his friends could see him now what would they and the rest of the wizarding world think of their great hero, their great saviour? Cowered in the corner of his room covered in blood, tears streaked down his face. He hadn’t cried when Vernon and Petunia had delivered their lesson he wouldn’t he couldn’t, it would have made things worse. If things could get any worse than this.

 He had come back from Hogwarts after his first year there, after finding out that all the weird things that kept happening around him, that the Dursley’s kept trying to beat and starve out of him were in fact normal he was normal, He was Harry Potter the Boy Who Lived the baby who had defeated a great dark wizard, TWICE. the boy who’s name every one knew.

  But now he was back in Privet Drive, battered, starved, dirty and alone.

 He finally allowed himself to slip into an uneasy sleep wishing he were back with Ron and Hermione and Hagrid even Professor Snape wasn’t so bad. Yes back in a castle on a hill with his friends.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Dudley Dursley was not one of life’s great minds if any thing  he was ponderous being the size and weight of a baby elephant. His parents had spoilt him, to the point of ruin; he had believed that he was the centre of the universe that the world revolved around him and what he wanted he got. Sweets, pop third helpings at every meal.

Unlike Harry he went to Smeltings, his father’s old school fortunately for Dudley the school had changed over the years since his father had attended. Bullying was not tolerated but corporal punishment was still practiced. And it was here that Dudley finally realised that his cousin was being abused and he had to stop it.

His parents had never raised a hand to him so when he received his first six swats on the behind with an old gym shoe Dudley felt that his world had come to an end. And that night, lying in his bed with his bum still smarting, he realised he had to do something to help Harry.

  So now sitting by the desk in his bedroom for once devoid of electronic gadgets and being used for the purpose it was intended, Dudley for the first time in his life wrote a letter.

 

I don’t no who will read this letter but I hope who ever you are is nice harry needs somebody nice. He is in troble and I dont no wat to do. I no he is majic and he goes to a majic skool so I hope this letter gets to you. My mother and father have beat him up bad and it is not the only time they starve him and make him do all the work. I have not been nice to him but I am sorry and I want to help and he needs to get away from here befor they do anymore bad things to him. I am givin this letter to Harrys owl and I hope she finds you before he gets worse he is pretty bad now and is bleeding and moanining and Harry never moans. Plese hurry.

Dudley Dursley

Number 4 Privet Drive Little Whinging Surry

 Dudley finished his letter and as quietly as he could, opened his bedroom door and hearing the low mumbles of his parents voices downstairs he went into Harry’s room.

Harry was still in the corner unconscious his breathing laboured Dudley knew he had to act fast. He was scared of the owl sitting on the window looking down at her master but he knew she was Harry’s only hope.

“H.. hello Hedwig he stammered I..II need you to do something for me, for Harry, I have written this but I don’t know who to send it to you need to take this to someone who can get help for Harry and you need to hurry he hasn’t got much time.

With her piercing eyes, Hedwig took one more look at the boy and snatched the letter from his hand and took off through the open window into the evening sun.

Knowing he had done all he could for now and not wanting to get caught in his cousins room Dudley took one more look at Harry.

 

 “Duddykins your dinner is on the table.” “coming mummy” as he closed the door.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Ron Weasley had just spent the day de-gnoming the garden as punishment for back chatting his mother not the best idea. Her temper was as fiery as her red hair.

As much as they all moaned about the job they was something satisfying about seeing the little potato looking creatures flying through the air.

Pleased with a job well done Ron sat himself down at the kitchen table just as the sun was starting to set breathing in the wonderful aromas of Mrs Weasleys’ steak and onion pie, mashed potatoes peas and carrots and a wonderful thick gravy. Ron’s stomach was starting to make noises of anticipation and hunger.

The food at Hogwarts was delicious and plentiful but nobody could cook like his mum. And even though they didn’t have money for luxuries and posh clothes there was always a good table.

Ron sat staring out of the open window  waiting for his mother to start dishing up food an object in the distance caught his attention. Watching as it came closer and closer Ron realised it was an owl travelling at some speed. ‘Must be important to be going that fast , he thought to himself as he watched the bird come closer, ‘maybe it’s for dad from the ministry, there aren’t  any other wizard houses around here for miles.’ “Bloody hell it ‘s not slowing down,” Ron shouted. Mrs Weasley dropped the pile of plates she was levitating to the table at Ron’s raised voice and spun around ready to admonish her son’s expletive. As the owl swooped in through the open window landing on the table but the speed in which it had come through it had no hope of stopping and skidded across the table knocking everything in its path to the floor including the pie that smelled so appealing.

The rest of the family had now appeared in the kitchen, brought there by Ron’s yells and the sound of plates and food hitting the floor. And at the far end of the table, where she had finally come to a halt, lay an exhausted Hedwig, Harry’s snowy owl, her beautiful white feathers covered in the Weasley’s evening meal, with the letter from Dudley in her beak.

To be continued...
Chapter 2 by reddragon7

“Oh Merlin, mum that’s Hedwig that’s Harrys’ owl there must be something wrong for her to fly like that” Ron exclaimed.

Mrs Weasley looked down at the exhausted bird and saw the missive clamped  firmly in her beak.

"She's got a letter for you Ron," Mrs Weasley said, taking the note off the bird and handing it to her son, and the only reason I can think for her flying like that is that she was perhaps being chased by something, Harry's with his relatives so I can't see why there should be anything wrong with him." 

Ron opened the envelope and started reading.

The freckles on the boys face stood out in stark contrast to the sickly pale colour it had now turned and in a choked voice he said “Oh mum” and sank onto the nearest chair, he held the letter out to his mother.  

Mrs Weasley took the piece of paper from her son and started to read.

“Ron is this  a prank something you to have cooked up together to get Harry here?” she said in a quiet voice. “If it is tell me, I wont be cross with you but you need to tell me,” “Mum, god no” Ron’ s shocked voice cut through his mothers questions “this is nothing to do with me, I was going to ask if he could come and stay for a while but I would never do any thing like this.”

The twins and Mr Weasley by now were at a complete loss as to what was going on.

“Molly love what’s wrong, what’s in that letter I gather it’s about Harry Potter but I need to know if there’s something wrong with him.” Molly Weasley handed the by now crumpled piece of paper to he husband.

“Oh for the love that is everything muggle,” Arthur Weasley shouted, “I need to see Dumbledore, if this is not a hoax some one needs to get to Harry now.”

Ron’s head snapped up “I’m coming with you dad,” he said

“no son you need to stay here” came the reply, his father beginning preparations to leave.

“No he’s my mate and if he’s hurt he’ll need me.

” The twins heads were swinging back and for like spectators at a tennis match their mouths open still completely in the dark as to what was causing all the drama.

“Fred, George see to the owl, Ron get your cloak and hurry, we need to go now.”

Mr Weasley dragged Ron over to the fire and grabbed a small pot of floo powder off the shelf. “Follow me,” he said to his son through the powder into the flames and shouted; “Headmaster Dumbledore’s Office, Hogwarts” stepped into the green flames and disappeared. Ron looked around at the rest of his family gave a small smile and copied his father, and with a whoosh of green he to left the kitchen.

The sound of her husband and youngest son leaving seemed to spur Mrs Weasley into action.

“Fred you can start clearing this mess and George you can take care of the owl, I had better find something else to eat.”

“Um mum,” George began tentatively as he gently lifted the exhausted Hedwig out of the train wreck that had up until five minutes ago been their evening meal, “ what exactly is in that letter?”

 Fred stopped what he was doing and looked across at his mother expectantly.

  “Oh boys I’m sorry of course you want to know what’s happening,” she took a deep breath before continuing, “The letter is supposedly from Harry’s cousin, Dudley, he says that both of his parents have beaten Harry and he is in a bad way and it’s not the first time.

“Bloody hell said George no wonder that bird came in her like a bat out of hell there must be truth in it though mum Hedwig wouldn’t have been flying like that  if things were ok.”   

“I know that” his mother replied but all we can do is wait until we hear from Ron or your father.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Arthur Weasley shot out of the fireplace in Dumbledore’s office closely followed by Ron.

The Headmaster was seated behind his desk working on school admin. 

“Well, well, this is a surprise what brings you two to Hogwarts tonight?"

The old wizard smiled genially at them,

“Please both of you take a seat, can I offer you both some tea?”

He seemed totally unperturbed the fact that Mr Weasley and Ron had just arrived unannounced. “Lemon drop, Ron,? “

“Umm no thanks sir “ 

“So what can I do for you on this fine evening?” he asked looking between the two red heads now sitting opposite him. Arthur handed him Dudley’s letter,

“I think you had better read this,” and sat back.

The smile slowly left the face of the old wizard,

“When did you receive this?” he asked, raising from his chair,

“about ten minutes ago” Arthur  replied, “Harry’s owl flew in like the hounds of hell were chasing her.”

“Mum thought I had something to do with it,” Ron mumbled, “thought it was a prank so that Harry could come and stay with us for the rest of the holidays, you don’t think that do you sir?” the young boy looked nervously into the eyes of the headmaster.

“No Ronald I believe that what is in this letter is very real and young Harry is indeed in very grave peril and we need to act now.”

“Mr Weasley I need you to go to the hospital wing I will inform Madam Pomfrey that you are on your way you will need to tell her what is happening, show her the letter and help her set up what she will need for when we get harry here”

Dumbledore placed his head in the fire and called out for the school matron, Ron and his father could only make out parts of the conversation.

Arthur Weasley then turned to Ron and said, "Son you need to go to the infirmary now, we’ll go and bring Harry to safety he’ll be ok, you go and do what Albus has told you and I’ll see you when we get back, Oh and Ron let your mother know what’s happening maybe she should be here too.”

Ron gave his father a quick hug and left the headmasters office. Breaking into a run he headed in the direction of the hospital wing offering up prayers to every deity that he knew praying that his friend would be ok, praying the others would get to him on time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Professor Severus Snape was taking the opportunity of a quiet evening to read.

He had finished brewing the potions  that were needed to restock the hospital for the new term and all his private requests were up to date so he had the evening free to enjoy his second great love, muggle fiction, so ensconced in his comfortable leather arm chair before a roaring fire, (even though it was the middle of the summer and it was unbelievably hot outside the temperatures in the dungeons never reflected that so Snape had a fire burning all year round).

And as the venerable old cat, and deputy headmistress, McGonagall would say, "Just a wee dram to keep the cold at bay,” Snape settled down to enjoy his evening,with his favourite author and a glass or two of whisky, when the headmasters head suddenly appeared in the flames,

“Severus you’re needed in my office now, emergency, and bring your potions bag.” 

Muttering every profanity known to man and several he made up Snape grabbed his emergency potions bag and flood to the headmaster’s office.

Ok Albus what’s wrong this time? Toothache, wind, wouldn’t be surprised with the amount of sugar you consume, he then caught sight of Arthur Weasley sitting next to the desk,

"Or maybe one of the terrible twosomes, err experiments, have gone wrong, prank backfired has it?" Snape asked, with an evil smirk.

Arthur gave a small shake of the head as the Headmaster interrupted him.

"Harry Potter is in trouble, we received a letter today, haven’t got time to explain it all now but I will when we get him to safety."

"How do you know this letter is not a hoax?" Snape asked

“Lets just say I have my ways” came the reply “like I said everything will be explained.”

“I have lowered the wards surrounding the school for now so we can apparate  straight to Little Whinging” Dumbledore carried on, “when we get there let me talk to the Dursley’s, Severus I’ll need you to see to Harry, Arthur you may need to go to the Ministry, Severus are you listening to me?”

Dumbledore caught the look on Snapes face. 

“ You, left, Lily’s, child with that horse faced bitch, oh old man please say your kidding me," Snape rounded incredulously on Dumbledore "for a great wizard you can be an incredibly stupid man.” She was jealous of Lily, Petunia Evans hated anything to do with magic including me, when we were growing up she constantly called us freaks and abominations and then she met and married Dursley and she became even worse he was an incredible bigot and not just against our kind. Harry didn’t stand a chance. I can’t believe you left him with them.”

Dumbledore placed his hand on his shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze, we need to get the boy and then I can begin to sort out the mess I’ve made and on that note the three wizards left the castle.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Back at number four Privet Drive Dudley was sitting at the table a plate overloaded with food, but he was just playing with it, pushing it around and taking small mouthfuls now and then.

“Diddy darling ,your not eating aren’t you feeling well his mothers concerned voice came across the table, "

Vernon there’s something wrong with Dudders, he’s off his food.”

“Oh no need to worry,” Vernon chuckled, it’s probably this infernal heat, that’s it isn’t it lad the heat is getting to you?” 

“Oh I don’t know, Petunia said, looking at her son, “he looks peaky to me, maybe you should go and lie down for a while and mummy will bring you up a nice snack later and a cold drink and if your still not feeling right we’ll get to you to the doctors."

“Mummy I’m fine” answered Dudley, “it’s like daddy said it’s just the heat.”

But Dudley really was feeling sick how could his mother talk about taking him to the doctors just because he didn’t eat his food and Harry was laying unconscious upstairs because of something they had done.

“Right, said his father, I’m going to water the garden and I’ll have a coffee when I come back in Pet.”

Vernon went outside, Petunia started clearing the table

“are you sure your ok Diddy darling?” his mother asked.

“Yes mummy,” Dudley huffed “I’m going upstairs to play a game.”

“Ok sweetums call me if you want anything.” “I will,” he replied.

Dudley lumbered slowly down the hall thinking to himself,  

'It's been well over an hour since Hedwig left how long would it take her to find someone to help did she understand maybe she was just flying around looking for mice, ‘I’ll  go and check again on Harry and if he was any worse then I’ll  have to do something perhaps I should have done in the first place, call the emergency services.’ The thought made him go cold.

He was upstairs and outside Harry’s door with his hand on the door handle, he took a deep breath, slowly opened the door and went in.

The room was gloomy and very hot, the heat from the day had not really dissapated at all and it promised to be a hot sticky night. The sun had set and there was very little daylight left. The room was at the back of the house so there were no street lights to illuminate it either.Dudley knew he couldn’t turn on a light, so, he very carefully made his way across the floor to where he had left Harry huddled in the corner. At some time during the evening Harry had slid onto his side.

 The smell of blood, vomit and urine in the room was overpowering and Dudley had to fight not to loose the contents of his stomach. Reaching Harry he crouched down beside him and gently placed his hand on his chest relieved to feel a slow rise and fall. At least he was still alive.  His breathing seemed harsh and there was a strange gurgling sound when Harry breathed in. he knew his time was limited and he would have to make a decision soon should he wait any longer or should he call for help?

He heard his father coming in from the garden;

 “Any chance of that coffee Pet?” “Just putting the kettle on now” he heard his mother answer.

 Then he heard the doorbell ring and his heart leapt into his throat could this be them would they come to the door and ring the bell ?

He left the room as quickly as he could, closing the door behind him. And made his way down the stairs just as his father was opening the door

“Yes what do you want?" Vernon snapped at the three men standing there, "we don’t by at the door we don’t give to charity and we don’t need new windows or doors." He started to close the door.

"We are not selling or collecting, we are here for Harry Potter."

Vernon’s face went a deep shade of purple, "Your, your some of them, he hissed how dare you come here, you can’t see him he’s not here, he’s out with friends so go away and don’t come back."

 I’m afraid we can’t do that Albus Dumbledore said smiling genially and stepping closer to the door Arthur and Snape staying close behind him. Snape caught sight of movement behind Vernon and saw Dudley trying to gain their attention. He was furiously pointing up the stairs.

"Well I tell you what," said Dumbledore the smile never leaving his face, "we’ll just come in and wait until he comes home," and the three wizards pushed passed Vernon.

"How dare you Vernon blustered who the bloody hell do you think you are coming into someone’s home uninvited ."

"I sir am Albus Dumbledore and you Vernon Dursley is in enough trouble as it is. So if you please my good man do your self a favour and be quiet."

"Severus go and find the boy, Arthur with me if you will."

There was a small scream and the sound of a plate hitting the floor. They all spun around to see Petunia Dursley standing by the kitchen door one hand on her chest  the other pointing to Snape "

You!" she excalaimed "what are you doing in my home you freak."

Hello to you to Tuney,” Snape spat out, “Nice to see you too, so sorry I can’t stay and and chat I was told you’ve got an injured child upstairs, but I’ll be back don’t you worry then we can have a nice catch up.”

The look Snape gave Petunia had caused many a first year student to burst into tears and one or two even to wet themselves. He turned and ran up the stairs.

“Right you two,” said Arthur Weasley “I think you should go and sit in there,” pointing into the lounge.  

“How dare you assume to tell me what to do, may I remind you...?”  Started Vernon, But Dumbledore interrupted him.

 “ENOUGH!” “You no longer have any say in what will happen. You will do EXACTLY as you are told and you will not argue, YOU lost any rights when you first raised a hand to a child.” The power that emanated from the the white haired wizard was incredible and the Dursley’s realised that they were in no position to argue.  

 “Arthur if you please, stay here with these two I’m going upstairs to see what damage has been inflicted on Harry.

Dumbledore went out into the hall to find Dudley sitting on the bottom of the stairs, his head in his hands crying softly, the events of the last few hours finally catching up with him.

Dumbledore placed a hand on his shoulder I’m going up to check what is happening upstairs then I’m going to come back and talk to you, is that ok my boy?” Dudley answered with a small nod.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Snape had never been so shocked in his life as when he first opened the door to Harry's room. 

The smell was unbearable. The heat made it  like a furnace. he cracked the window to get some air in.

Snape, using his wand to illuminate the room caught sight of the unconscious boy in the corner.

By now Harry was hardly breathing and he knew that every second counted and rushed over to him. Setting out a quill and parchment so that it would record Harry’s injuries, Snape began scanning the unconscious boy’s body and the quill began to write.

While he was waiting for the scan to finish he spelled some healing potions directly into Harry and conjured a magical oxygen mask to help Harry’s breathing. He checked the parchment but the quill was still writing, it was now over a foot long and growing,

 ‘Oh Harry child what have they done to you, and why the bloody hell didn’t you tell any one?’ Snape asked himself as looked at the boy at his feet his body a mass of bruises and blood, his face swollen.

 Dumbledore’s voice broke into his thoughts asking as he stepped into the room, “how is he?”

“Not good Albus, I’m still waiting for the full diagnosis I’ve done some basic stabilization spells on him until I know exactly what I’m dealing with. But he’s a bloody mess, if it wasn’t for his magic he would be dead.

“I know you’ll do your best for him my boy.” Albus said sadly.

“I only hope my best will be good enough.” Snape said more to himself.

 Albus I can’t take him away from here unless I get permission from those animals or better still get them to sign over guardianship to someone else.

“Leave it to me I’ll deal with them Albus said you just need to concern yourself with getting Harry to safety, they don’t know that and besides they are in no position to question anything we do.”

“But the Ministry, Albus,”

“Oh Balls to the ministry I’ve been keeping them in the dark for years it’s easy enough.” Dumbledore gave Snape a sly grin. 

To be continued...
Chapter 3 by reddragon7
Author's Notes:
I'm not going to follow a timeline here. I'm introducing characters from books into my story (just because I can), that don't appear until later but I wanted a young Harry to come up against these people.

"I always said you were a manipulative old sod Albus," Snape chuckled in response to Dumbledore's statement.

Well you don't get to live as long I have without learning a few tricks he said.

"But I need to ask a great favour of you I need you take on the boy's guardianship."

"Why me, I'm not qualified to look after him he's going to need something more than I can give him."

"I think your selling yourself sort son." Albus said, "I believe you are just what Harry needs. He has a long hard road ahead of him and I need to make sure he has the right person to guide him, he needs someone strong but compassionate, someone who has a capacity to love like he has."

Snape snorted, "I certainly think you've got the wrong wizard now or your hat is on too tight"

"And", Dumbledore continued ignoring Snape's interruption, "if the minister gets involved he will just become a poster boy someone to bring out when he needs extra publicity, Harry needs a life he needs a home, he needs love."

"But what is he going to think when he wakes, if he wakes and finds the professor that gave him hell all last year is now in control of his life?"

Severus you promised Lily remember" and by tone of Dumbledore 's voice Snape knew he had lost. Any other argument was futile.

"Fine Albus I'll leave it to you, but I'm going to have to get Harry to the infirmary he needs to be there now, I've done all I can for him here."

"Can you set a port key for us I think that is going to be safest way to move him?"

He started gathering all his potions and the diagnosis parchment, I haven't had time to look at this yet so I have no real idea what his injuries are."

In preparation to move Harry, Snape placed a cushioning spell on him to try and protect his body from any Further injury."

Dumbledore picked up broken toy soldier off the floor and waved his hand over it saying "PORTUS", the toy gave off a blue light for a couple of seconds.

"I'll let Poppy know you are on your way, Dumbledore said, "then Arthur will need to go to the Ministry we will need a couple of aurours to escort those delightful people away."

"That, I will leave in your capable hands Albus," Snape said as he bent to lift Harry, "

"Dear God there's nothing of him, he's just skin and bone,"

He said as he picked him up, "they've bloody starved him too."

Albus shook his head. "Do your best for him my boy I know if anyone can make him well it will be you and Poppy," his eyes devoid of their usual twinkle.

"I only hope my best will be good enough this time old man." Snape replied.

Dumbledore handed him the port key, "I have every faith in you my boy."

" I think a miracle is needed more than your bloody faith." The younger man replied as the toy glowed and both Snape and Harry disappeared in a flash of blue light.

Albus Dumbledore stood alone in the dark room; the tears that had threatened when he had first walked into the room and seen Harry, flowing freely down his wrinkled face.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Snape stepped away from the port key as he landed in the infirmary, Harry Potter cradled gently in his arms.

"Poppy, his breathing is worse," he called as he placed him onto the nearest bed. "I stabilised him as best I could at the house so I could move him and used a cushioning charm but I think the movement may have punctured a lung. I didn't have time to read the diagnosis sheet before we left."

The matron waved her wand over Harry's chest,

"It doesn't look like the lung has collapsed but I think it is punctured she said, "I don't think the move would have caused it though, not with the cushioning charm,"

Muttering a spell and again waving her wand over Harry.

"That should do for now until we check his entire injuries."

Harry's breathing had indeed become easier and Snape felt a wave of relief wash over him. The thought that he had caused more damage to the boy made him feel physically sick.

"Right lets have a look and see what those people have done to him then shall we" the no nonsense matron said, holding her hand out to Snape for the parchment which held the details of Harry's injuries.

INJURIES TO ONE HARRY JAMES POTTER; AGED 11 YEARS; MINOR;

DATED JULY 28 1993

HAIRLINE FRACTURES TO SKULL X3 small amount of swelling to the brain no bleeding

BOTH CHEEK BONES FRACTURED.

JAWBONE FRACTURED IN TWO PLACES

FOUR TEETH MISSING

BROKEN NOSE (old and new)

FRACTURES TO SEVERAL BONES IN NECK stable no damage to spinal cord

BRUISING AROUND THROAT AND VOCAL CORDS conducive to pressure being placed on the throat (old and new)

SIX BROKEN RIBS (old and new)

PUNCTURED RIGHT LUNG not collapsed

BREAKS AND HAIRLINE FRACTURES TO BONES IN ARMS AND HANDS (old and new)

BREAKS AND HAIRLINE FRACTURES TO BONES IN LEGS AND FEET (old and new)

SEVERE BRUSING TO 90% OF BODY EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL

BURN TO ARMS, LEGS, BACK, STOMACH AND CHEST (old and new)

LACERATIONS TO BACK AND LOWER EXTREMITIES most probably caused by a leather belt, scarring and some infected sores

MALNUTRITION

DEHYDRATION

There is no sign of any sexual abuse and apart from the small amount of swelling to the brain and the punctured lung all other organs are clear of any major damage.

"Right Snape, the matron said her medical training taking over. Sizing up the small boy laying in the bed knowing it wasn't her pity or tears he needed now.

"First thing lets get him into a gown," and with a wave of her wand and the raggedy clothes that Harry was wearing disappeared and in their place a clean hospital gown, "that's better, now lets start at the top and work our way down."

"I need to remove the swelling on the brain, I know it's only slight but I don't want it getting any worse. Then we can start to work on fixing his bones there's no point trying to reduce his temperature while he has so many breaks. When that's done we can start on the wounds on his back get them cleaned up, hopefully then that will help with the fever, at least his breathing is steadier now."

"This is going to be a long night, I'll send a message down to Molly Weasley, I sent her and Ron down to the kitchens to get some food just before you came, we are going to need her help."

The matron and the potion master worked well into the night. Madam Pomfrey casting spells whilst Snape spelled potion after healing potion into the unconscious Harry. At some point Molly and Ron had joined them. Ron sitting quietly on the bed opposite Harry, watching as the adults worked diligently on his best friend.

It was around dawn when Ron had fallen asleep that the three adults finally stopped working on Harry.

"Well said Madam Pomfrey we have done all that we can it's up to him now, it seems he is in a more natural sleep, and with the amount of potions he has in his system it should be a while before he wakes up."

"I suggest we take it in turns to rest now," said Snape. "If you and Molly would like to and have a lay down I'll stay with Harry then one of you can relieve me in perhaps an hour?"

The two women were exhausted and readily agreed with his suggestion and so went into Poppy's office to lie down.

Snape sat down on the chair next to the bed and run his hand across Harry's forehead checking his temperature was still normal; he then began running his fingers through the boy's messy hair gently pushing it away from Harry's face.

Sighing tiredly, Snape smiled sadly at the sleeping boy. "I am so sorry Harry, he said, "I have failed you. I promised your mother I would protect you and I haven't, I broke my word. I spent last year seeing you as a clone of your father instead of seeing you as a person in your own right. Had I not been so blinded by my own prejudice I might have seen things were not right in your home and now you are laying here because of me, I'm so very sorry Harry and I swear to you I will some how make it up to you."

"I'll hold you to that sir." A very weak voice replied from the bed

Harry was awake at last.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Meanwhile at Number 4 Privet Drive.

After Snape had left with Harry, Dumbledore went downstairs to deal with the Dursleys. He knew he would have to tread carefully with the boy, he may have done the right thing by his cousin but these people were still his parents and he was still a child.

'I've already made a colossal mistake with one child's life, he thought I really need to think carefully before I do the same with another one.'

Dudley was no longer at the bottom of the stairs when Dumbledore came back down. So he went straight into the room where Arthur Weasley and the two adult Dursleys' were.

'I'll speak to the child later he thought one problem at a time.'

Vernon was glowering at Arthur, but his face had lost its usual ruddy colour and had taken on a sickly green hue. Petunia had her head in her hands and was visibly shaking.

"Everything ok in here Arthur?" asked Dumbledore.

"Fine" Arthur replied "been getting on like a house on fire haven't we? Just been explaining to these two all about our justice system and how our court proceedings work and what our prison is like and of course the dementors."

There was a nasty little grin on the face of Arthur Weasley, quite reminiscent of his twin sons when they were up to no good, as he explained to Dumbledore what he had been telling the Dursleys, he had obviously been enjoying himself immensely.

"Oh what very good idea" said Dumbledore "I always say a little bit of knowledge goes a long way."

" Arthur maybe now is the time for you to pop to the ministry and get what is needed."

"If you think so Albus it won't take me long shouldn't be to many people about at this time to ask any awkward questions." Answered the red headed man, still grinning.

"No we don't want anyone interrupting us do we," Dumbledore mused running his hand down his beard, his eyes twinkling merrily knowing the Dursleys were getting more and more uncomfortable as the two of them carried out their cryptic conversation.

" I don't like the thought of people getting in the way of my plans." Dumbledore said.

Arthur gave Dumbledore a small nod, turned on the spot and was gone.

"What are you going to do with us?" Asked Petunia in a small voice

"All in good time my good woman replied Dumbledore.

"Now I'm going to have a nice chat with your son, Dudley isn't it."

"You leave Dudders alone" Petunia spat out, "he's got nothing to do with any of this."

"Oh Petunia my dear that's where you are so very wrong, who do you think called us?"

"Oh and in case either of you get any ideas, 'IMOBILUS' Dumbledore waved his arms at the two Dursleys and they went completely rigid, can't have you trying to run away now can we?"

He turned on his heal and went to look for Dudley.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

To be continued...
Chapter 4 by reddragon7
Author's Notes:
There is one use of the F word in this chapter, I apologise if it offends anyone.

Dudley was sitting by the kitchen table a half eaten family sized tub of ice cream next to him. He looked sheepishly at the old man as he sat down next to him.

“Comfort food.” He said.

“I understand I like sweet things too.” Dumbledore replied smiling. “Now I think its time for us to have our talk don’t you?”

“Why did you do it?’ why did you write that letter?”

Dudley gave a small shrug.

“ I don’t know really, I’ve never liked him, but that’s because my parents always told me that he was a waste of space and only good for doing chores and things. They gave me everything and I thought that was ok; he only ever had my hand me downs, never anything for himself.

We never celebrated his birthday he was not allowed to join us for Christmas. Up until his letter came from that school he slept in the cupboard under the stairs. They were scared of him I can see that now. He was never allowed to ask questions. Especially about his family he was told they were no good drunks and layabouts and had been killed in a car crash.

 My father would beat him for not finishing chores or, I’m ashamed to say, for something I would do. I would deliberately get Harry into trouble, just to see him punished. My mother wouldn’t hit as much as my dad but her words could be just as cruel. I was told to make sure he had no friends. My mates and I would harass anyone who would talk to him or want to play with him until they gave up I suppose I’m just as bad as them."

Dudley’s speech become more mechanical as he confessed to the headmaster, the treatment Harry had endured from them over the years. 

  He looked at the man sitting at the table next to him expecting to see nothing but contempt on his face but was surprised to see a small, sad smile instead.

“You can’t help the way your raised my boy he said you’ve done the right thing now. Why was this time so different?”

“I got into trouble at my school, I had a detention with my headmaster.” He continued.

“My parents have never raised a hand to me in my life. They had never even told me off.  What ever I wanted I got even if I had to throw the mother of all tantrums to get it."

"My school practices corporal punishment, swats on the bum with an old gym shoe. It hurt, a, lot. It is always done last thing at night so you go to bed with a smarting arse. It was the last night before the holidays and I was lying in my bed crying up a storm thinking that my world had ended, when I realised, Harry lived through worse than this. My parents were abusers they had abused him since he was a baby and I let it happen and I was crying because I had my bum smacked a few times. So I decided that if things were still the same this summer then I would try and do something to help.

For the first week or so it wasn’t to bad, ok they took all his school things off him and locked them away apart from the owl and made him work but they didn’t hit him about too much, I think we were all a bit scared that he would turn us into toads or something. I tried to sneak him some food now and again but I had to be careful I wasn’t caught.

 Then yesterday my mother remembered that when her sister was Harry’s age she wasn’t allowed to do magic outside school and all hell broke loose, and they just went mental and beat him for no reason.

My Father shouting that he had had enough of his freakishness and the threats he, Harry that is, had hinted at since he had returned from that freak school about using magic on them, he laid in to him like a mad man, he really lost the plot. My mother snapped the belt on his back she hit him so hard.”

Dudley began sobbing at this memory,

 “Harry didn’t make a sound in fact I can’t remember the last time I heard him cry, it’s been years, I think they made the punishment worse if he did."

"I’m so sorry Mr Dumbledore sir, I should have done something sooner, I should have stopped it, I didn’t and I should have and if I had Harry would be ok and, and.”

 Dudley words were now incoherent through the tears as he finally broke down.

Dumbledore gently took the sobbing boy by the shoulders.

“Come, Come, my boy,” he said  “You are a child and really did not understand what the adults in your life were doing and no one will hold that against you. You have done the very best for your cousin now. You have seen an injustice and have tried to set it right and it is a very brave and grown up thing you have done, to go against ones family is a very difficult thing to do at any age, but you have shown remarkable maturity everything will work out I assure you.”

Dudley looked directly into Dumbledore’s eyes and with a sob asked “I understand that they have to be punished for what they’ve done, but what’s gonna happen to me?”

The loud bang that accompanied someone apparating alerted Dumbledore to the fact that Arthur Weasley had returned from the ministry.

“Let me deal with them in there and then I’ll come back and we’ll work out what’s to be done ok?”

Dudley gave the elderly wizard a small smile and nod, 

“Ok sir I’ll wait here shall I?” he asked

“I think it would be better if you were to back a bag with a few belongings because we will be taking your parents at some point to answer questions and you won’t be able to stay on your own so we will have to find somewhere for you to stay.” Dumbledore replied.

“Umm ok but I don’t really want to see them and I have to pass the room their in” Dudley said quietly.

“I understand entirely, I tell what I’ll do, I’ll go in and close the door then you can go passed, will that be alright?” Dumbledore asked kindly.

“That’ll be great sir thanks Dudley answered. 

 Whilst he waited for Dumbledore to go and close the door, Dudley began to think about Harry wondering if he was ok, and if he would ever get to see him again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dumbledore joined Arthur and the Dursley’s in the lounge closing the door behind him like he’d promised the boy.

“Did you get what was required?” he asked as he entered the room.

“Yes” replied the red headed wizard; I was also able to get hold of Bones and Shacklebolt.

“And no problems with any one?” Asked Dumbledore

“No one in that particular department at this time of night so I was able to get what was needed and get away without anybody seeing me.” Arthur replied.

Shall we get on with it then Albus?”

“Yes the sooner we do this the better for all I suppose” he said

Albus looked at he Dursleys who were quite frankly by now the colour of two-day-old porridge at the exchange between the two wizards, both were wondering, fearing, what was going to be done to them.

“Oh there’s no need to look so scared,” said Dumbledore genially as he released them from the holding charm.

“What are you going to do to us?" Vernon asked his voice shaking. 

“I’m not going to do anything at all Dumbledore replied, “I just want you to sign some papers.”

“And why would we do that we could be signing anything we could be signing over our home to you or to that worthless boy?" Petunia spat out.”

“Do not try me Woman," Dumbledore growled, “I have been very affable up till now. These papers are to release you from Harry Potters guardianship you will sign him over to our care. Once you have done that all links to him will be broken, you will have no control over any part of his life again."

“What’s in it for us.” Vernon snarled not doing it if there’s nothing in it for us never wanted the brat in the first place.”

“That much is obvious by the way you treated him, but you sign these and there will be no comebacks on either of you. You walk away.” replied Dumbledore

Vernon looked at his wife and she nodded.

“Fine he said we’ll sign.”

Dumbledore handed the parchment to Petunia and showed her where to sign and then did the same to Vernon.

“Ok”, Vernon said “we signed your piece of bloody paper now you can get out of my house.”

“I’ve not quite finished yet” said Dumbledore, “Arthur if you please,”

Mr Weasley went to the front door and let in the two wizards that had been waiting patiently outside for entry to the house.

“Vernon, Petunia may I introduce Kingsley Shacklebolt and Madam Amelia Bones from the Ministry of Magic’s Auror Department, they are here to arrest you for the attack on Harry Potter, but I’ll let them read the charges to you.”

Vernon Dursley & Petunia Dursley both of No: 4 Privet Drive Little Whinging Surrey.

You are both hereby charged for the offences of:

The assault and attempted murder of Harry James Potter, Minor, also of No 4 Privet Drive Little Whinging Surrey. Other charges include: Wilful neglect continued and prolonged punishments of an unjust nature, failure to provide nourishment, failure to provide a safe environment.  You will be held in the ministry cells until your trial.

 SIGNED: Madame A. Bones. Head of Auror department. 

Before Kingsley’s deep voice finished reading the charges Vernon was yelling at Dumbledore “I signed your Fucking paper, you told us there would be no come backs, you said if we signed we would just walk away.”

“Yes well," said Dumbledore as he watched Kingsley and Madam Bones prepare to escort the Dursley’s away by port key,

“I lied.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“I’ll hold you to that sir.”

“Harry your awake, thank God.”

“What happened sir, where am I?” Harry croaked his mouth dry and his throat sore.

“Your in Hogwarts infirmary, I brought you here yesterday evening from your home, you were in a bad way can you remember anything?”

“No sir.”

“Don’t worry about it now.” Snape said as he heard movement from the bed across the way.

“Sir is that Harry?” Asked Ron “is he awake?”

“Yes Mr Weasley he is, perhaps you would be so kind as to go and inform Madam Pomfrey and your mother of the fact, they are resting in the office." 

“Ok professor I’ll fetch them now and then can I see Harry?”

“Let us check a few things first then I don’t see why not.” Snape replied

Ron practically flew across to the office calling to the two women inside,

“Harry’s awake,” as he opened the door startling both of the occupants out of their slumber, “he’s awake and talking.”

Snape gave a small smile as he watched Ron and then turned his attention back to Harry.

“Now Mr Potter, he said I need you to refrain from talking too much, you had some nasty injuries to your vocal cords, they have been healed but your throat is going to be sore for a while, as will the rest of you. We have had to repair quite a few broken bones as well as cuts and bruising to most of your body. The cuts and bruises are greatly improved but they will take some time to heal completely. So for now you need plenty of rest. Do you understand?” Snape said not wanting to upset Harry but needing to explain to the boy in some way the extent of his injuries.

Harry nodded, tears forming in his eyes he was feeling disorientated and weak and he couldn’t remember what had happened to him, had he been in some sort of accident?  And why was Snape being so nice to him?”

Snape could see Harry was getting distressed but before he could do anything Mrs Weasley and the matron came rushing out of the office, Ron following close behind.

Hearing the others approach Harry quickly wiped the tears from his eyes.

“Harry sweetheart, you gave us quite a scare” Mrs. Weasley said as she bent over and gave him a kiss and a very gentle squeeze.

“Yes indeed,” Madam Pomfrey agreed, “quite a scare but I think you are on the road to recovery now. You will be weak and get tired easily for a while, as we have had to pump some very strong potions into you and are seriously underweight. The matron had got her wand out and started to scan Harry checking his vitals whilst she talked, “I will put you on a special diet for a while to help build you up and you will have to take supplementary potions as well. You will need plenty of rest as well she said scanning his body. Hmm good, good every thing seems to be fine no need to do anything else at the moment all the swelling to the brain has gone and everything else is healing nicely.”

Madam Pomfrey smiled and nodded. “Now remember plenty of rest and try not to talk too much ok.”

Harry nodded, “But do you think I could have a drink?” he whispered not wanting to strain his voice, “I’m really thirsty.”

“Of course you can but just water for now and only small sips, I don’t want you to vomit.”

Ron went and poured a glass of water from the jug that was beside the bed he had been sleeping in.

 “Here you go mate,” he said as he handed it to Harry.

 Mrs Weasley placed her arms around him and had gently lifted him into a sitting position.

Harry took the drink from Ron but his hands were shaking so much he spilled most of it onto the bedclothes.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” he whispered, cowering into Mrs Weasleys arms.

“Don’t worry Harry love,” Mrs Weasley said to the shaking boy, “ it was an accident.”

Snape took the glass from him. “Here he said, “Let me help you.” and he lifted the drink carefully to Harry’s lips, “remember now just small sips. Ok, have you had enough?”

Harry nodded gave Snape a small smile of thanks and rested back,

“Tired now,” he murmured. 

“That’s fine love,” said Mrs Weasley, “let me just sort your pillows and dry off your blankets then you can snuggle down and have a nice sleep.”

Mrs Weasley had barely finished putting Harry’s bed in order when his eyes closed and he was once again in a deep sleep. 

"Maybe now would be a good time for you to go and have a rest Severus," Madam Pomfrey whispered "you’ve been up all night and he should sleep for a while." 

"I might go and grab half an hour." He said. "To have a shower and shave, but if I’m honest with you I’m beyond tired."

"You go sir," Ron said "I’ll sit with him in case he wakes up. Mum do you want to go home for a bit." 

"I should really pop back, I left Percy in charge, but the thought of leaving the twins with out adult supervision for any length of time, she gave a slight shudder, yes I’ll go home for a couple of hours to make sure everything is ok if that’s alright with you?" she looked at Madam Pomfrey.

"Certainly Molly," Madam Pomfrey replied "take as long as you need everything should be fine here now I can’t see there being any problems, you can floo from my office."

"Ronnie, I’ll bring you back some clean clothes so you can have a shower and change later ok?" she gave her youngest son a kiss and ruffled his hair. "See you soon."

She followed the matron into her office. 

"You can go now as well sir." Ron said to Snape "I’ll keep on eye on Harry he’ll be fine with me. And professor, thank you."

"For what may I ask Mr Weasley?”

“For what you did sir, you saved him. I saw what his relatives did to him, I can’t believe anyone could do that, but you got him away from them.”

“I believe your father and Professor Dumbledore had some involvement as well.”

Ron looked at his potions professor and blushed, his face the same colour as his hair,

“Yeah but I heard what you said to Harry, you know before, when you thought we were all sleeping, about it being your fault. I don’t believe that, I’m supposed to be his best mate and I didn’t see what was going on neither did anyone else including Hermione and she doesn’t miss anything. And what about the other teachers none of them noticed anything either, Harry is good at hiding things.”

“Thank you Ronald, but I trust what you heard will not be openly discussed,” Snape raised his eyebrow.

“No sir course not that’s between you and Harry.”

“Right Mr Weasley I’m going to take you up on your offer and go and freshen up I won’t be long. Madam Pomfrey is in her office if you need her; I am entrusting you not to disturb him he needs to recuperate.”

Snape left Ron sitting by Harry's bed and walked into the matrons office.

“Poppy, can I use your fire it’ll be quicker than walking down to the dungeons, young Mr Weasley is with Harry now but I don’t want to leave him too long.”

“Take your time Severus, I’m not going anywhere so if he wakes I can see to him.I am a qualified mediwitch after all.”

“I know that Poppy, but I’m going to be Harry’s guardian and I take my responsibilities seriously. And leaving the shocked matron he stepped into the fire and flooed to his rooms.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dumbledore watched as the to Dursleys were taken away.

He turned to Arthur Weasley you get off now “I’ll get in touch later when we’re needed for our statements”

“Fine, Albus but what are you going to do about the Dursley boy?”

“I will stay with him and try and find out if he has any other relatives” came the reply.

“Do you want me to stay with you another hour or so won’t make much difference to me?”  Mr Weasley asked fighting to hold back a yawn.

“No, no you head off and get some rest with any luck we should have some news about Harry soon.” Dumbledore replied smiling.

“Ok Albus but what about you, you must be as exhausted as me?”

“On the contrary Arthur I don’t seem too need as much sleep these days.”

“If you say so Albus, Mr Weasley replied. “I’ll expect to hear from you as soon as I’m needed for the statements.”

Once again Mr Weasley apperated out of the house.

 Dumbledore went in search of Dudley.

He found him upstairs sitting on his bed an overnight bag by his feet.

“I see your ready to go,” Dumbledore said sitting on the bed next to him.

“You’ve taken them then.” Dudley asked sadly, suddenly realising he was on his own.

“Yes they have gone,” Dumbledore replied patting the boys’ large hand.

“You do understand why we had to take them?”

“Yes I know but,” Dudley shrugged his shoulders, “I’m on my own now where am I going to go and will I ever see them again?”

“You may have to testify at their trial. But I might be able to get you in to see them before that if you want to.”

“Oh right, I don’t know, can I think about it?”

“Of course there’s no rush.”

“Now Mr Dursley, tell me have you any other relatives that you know of?”

“There’s my Aunt Marge. She’s my dad’s sister, oh boy is she gonna be pissed when she finds out what I’ve done, she hates Harry as much as they do." 

“Hmm mused Dumbledore it’s quite possible she won’t find out that it was you who informed on them.”

“She’s bound to.”

“Not really. I am a wizard after all.”

“Oh yeah,” and a big smile lit up the large round face of Dudley, maybe things would be ok after all.

“The thing is son I don’t really have any say in what happens in the muggle world” explained Dumbledore.

“Muggle?”

 “Non magic.”

“Oh so what your saying is I don’t really have a choice I have to go and stay with Aunt Marge.”

“I think so Dudley unless I can find out that you have anyone else who can take you I think that is your only option.”

“That’s ok I’ll be fine with her really, she spoils me rotten he said with a little grin, “when will we be going?”

“Someone from the ministry’s child welfare department will be along soon to talk to you and they will probably take you.”

“I really am sorry you know, for not helping him sooner, you will tell me if he’s ok won’t you?” for the first time that evening Dumbledore saw Dudley for the little boy he still was.

"I promise you I will keep you informed and you will see Harry again just as soon as I can arrange things and you can tell him yourself.”

"I doubt he would want to talk to me after the things I’ve done.”

“The one thing I’ve learned about Mr Potter in the time I’ve known him is he is that he has a very generous soul so if you are sincere in your apology I believe he will forgive you.”

“I hope so.” Dudley smiled you know something apart from your weird clothes your not that different from us really.”

“Dumbledore laughed, “Why thank you, I think,

"Perhaps while we are waiting I could gather Harry’s belongings together so I can take them with me when I leave.”

 “They are locked away in the cupboard under the stairs, Dudley said leading Dumbledore out of the room and downstairs, “my father put them there as soon as he got back. He tried to get into his trunk but he couldn’t open it got him really mad.”   

Dudley stopped by a small cupboard door and pointed “in there,” and that’s where he slept till last year.”

Dumbledore waving his hand across the door to unlock it didn’t respond to the last comment and just bent down and peered into the cramped space.

He could just make out the pictures that remained on the wall testament that someone indeed had inhabited that space. Pulling Harry’s trunk out Dumbledore then shrunk it down and placed it in his pocket.

“Wow that was cool,” grinned Dudley.

“How about we go and sit in there with a nice cup of tea, I know I could do with one?” Dumbledore asked seeing the boy beginning to flag as the hour became late.

“I don’t know how to make one.” Dudley hung his head ashamedly.

“But I do said the wizard and he took his wand from up his sleeve and with a couple of waves two mugs of steaming hot tea appeared on the coffee table in the middle of the room along with a sugar bowl, milk jug and a plate of biscuits.

“Brilliant” said Dudley “I’m beginning to like magic, wish I could do it.”

They sat in silence for a while drinking their tea when the door bell rang

“That’ll be the ministry,” Dumbledore said and got up to answer the door.

Listening to the mumering he could hear coming from the hallway, Dudley sank back in his chair, he didn’t really want the white haired old wizard to leave him with someone else he had been so kind. He looked up when he came back into the room followed by a young woman.

“Dudley this is Amanda Fellows, she is the person I told you about, the one who will take you to your aunts.”

The woman smiled at Dudley and held out her hand

“Hello pleased to meet you, I’m going to stay here with you for the rest of the night and then I’ll take you over to your aunt’s house later tomorrow morning” she said “is that ok with you?”

Dudley gave her a small nod feeling very shy all of a sudden.

Dumbledore spoke “There’s nothing to worry about son.”

“I’ll come and see you as soon as you are settled with your aunt but now I really must go and see how things are with Harry. You’ll be all right with Amanda.”

Dudley gave Dumbledore a hug, “thank you for everything sir and tell Harry I’m sorry.”

“I will,” he said “and thank you, for I believe your actions tonight saved your cousin and that is something you should always be proud of. I for one am proud of you.”

He held the boy at arms length and looked him in the eyes as he said this.

Dumbledore then stepped away from Dudley and with a small nod to both of them and a flash of purple robes, was gone.

 

 

 

 

To be continued...
Chapter 5 by reddragon7

Snape showered Shaved and changed in record time, not wanting to be away from the infirmary for to long. Forgoing his usual black robes, after all there were no students to intimidate, he dressed casually in black jeans and sweater, for although the day was warm the thick castle walls kept the temperature inside cool. Deciding to floo back to the ward he grabbed the small pot of powder from the shelf and stepped into the green flames.

Arriving in the matron’s office, he heard the gentle murmur of voices, thinking that Harry had awoken whilst he was away he rushed onto the ward to find the headmaster sitting in a comfortable armchair talking quietly to Madam Pomfrey and Ron Weasley.

“When did you get back Albus?”

“About ten minutes ago and Poppy has graciously filled me in on all the details here,” he replied.

“I understand you had quite a eventful evening.”

“It was Albus but we managed to get it under control.”

Snape took a chair and placed it at the bottom of Harry’s bed

“How has he been?”

“Tossing and turning a bit sir,” Ron said, “and mumbling in his sleep but he hasn’t woken up again.”

“Poppy have you re- scanned him?”

“Yes Severus and everything is still healing well, though the bruising is going to take some time to diminish even with the salves.”

Snape then looked at Dumbledore

“So what about your evening was everything sorted that end?”

“I’ll fill you in on all the details later, but I do have some papers for you to sign, maybe we could use your office Poppy?” Dumbledore turned to the matron.

“By all means Albus”

“Severus shall we?” He said standing up and gesturing to the office. “The sooner we do this the better.”

Snape followed the older wizard through the door and sat down.

“So they signed then.”

“Made them an offer they couldn’t refuse”

“I bet you did”

“Will he have to see them again?”

“Harry will have to see them again when they go to trial.”

“Are you ready to do this?” Dumbledore asked as he passed a piece of parchment over to Snape.

He signed and passed it back “Yes.” 

“What happens when this gets to the ministry there’s no way they are going to allow it?” 

“It’s not going ministry first, it’s going via Gringotts” 

“What’s that going to achieve?” 

“Well the goblins will seal it and goblin magic will make it harder for the minister to interfere with.” Dumbledore leaned in conspiratorially. “And the goblins really don’t like the minister.” 

Snape laughed. 

“Errity!” Dumbledore called and a small creature with enormous brown eyes and bat ears appeared with a pop. 

“Yes sir Headmaster Dumbledore sir, you is calling Errity?” 

“I need you to take this to Gringotts and place it into the hands of goblin Tollett. He is expecting you. Do not give it to any one else. And when you return come and find me as I have another job for you.” 

“Right away Mr headmaster sir,” and with another pop the creature was gone. 

They heard a small knock and Ron’s red head appeared around the door. 

“Professors, Harry is awake.” 

“Right, thank you Mr Weasley we will be right out,” said Snape 

Ron stepped away. 

“Ready to tell him my boy?” 

“Not really, I would rather face the dark lord.” 

“Courage son that’s something you don’t lack, come on things will work out fine for all.” 

And Dumbledore stepped out of the room Snape close behind him. 

“Well good evening my boy how are you?” Dumbledore went straight to Harry’s bed. 

Madam Pomfrey was already there, checking Harry’s temperature and running a scan. 

“Everything alright?” Snape asked her as he joined them. 

The matron smiled. “Everything is healing nicely, but I still want you to rest Mr Potter ok, do you have any pain anywhere?” 

“Not really.” Said Harry. 

“Harry if you are in pain you need to tell us so we can give you something for it; I do not want you in any discomfort at all.

So I’ll ask you again do you have any pain anywhere?” The matron asked firmly 

“Um, my legs and ribs hurt and my throat is still sore.” 

From a cabinet in the office Snape accioed two potion bottles. 

“Harry I need you to take these for me please” 

“What are they?” 

“Just a pain potion and a relaxant 

“Right ok thanks,” Harry said accepting the bottles from Snape, and drinking them grimacing at the taste, “you couldn’t make them taste any better?” 

“Now then,” said Madam Pomfrey, “I am going to escort Mr Weasley there down to the kitchens where we will both have something to eat because if I have to listen to his stomach growling anymore it is going to drive me insane.” 

Ron blushed, his face bright red,

“Thank you Madam Pomfrey I am hungry,” he said.

“And my mum should be bringing my clean clothes soon so I can have my shower.” 

“Right Harry I am sure the professors have things they need to discuss with you. So I am going to leave you in their capable hands.” 

“Actually I have a couple of things I have to attend to in my office but Professor Snape has a something he wants to tell you Harry.”

If you two are ready perhaps we will walk part of the way together gesturing to Madam Pomfrey and Ron.  

Dumbledore looked pointedly at Snape. “And I will see you later.” 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Snape sat down next to the bed. 

“I have something to tell you Harry he said and I would appreciate you hearing me out.” 

Harry knew what ever it was Snape had to tell him he wasn’t going to like it. 

“How much do you remember about what lead up to you being brought here?” 

“Not much really sir I can remember being in the garden of my aunts house and the sun was really hot. Then I was in Dudley’s second bedroom. And the next I was waking up here.” 

“Well it seems your owl delivered a letter to the Weasley’s informing them that you had been injured….” Snape went on to tell Harry what had happened up until he had woken up in the infirmary. 

“So you see Harry, Professor Dumbledore and myself had to make a decision about you about who would take care of you, as the Dursley’s have been arrested for what they have done, and with any luck will never see the light of day again, but they had to sign guardianship over to someone else, if they hadn’t they could still have control over what happens in your life. They could have tried to stop me taking you away to get you treated, I would have turned them into pond dwellers if they had tried but it would have been an unnecessary complication. So Dumbledore got them to sign the papers. But the other thing is we don’t really want the ministry of magic or for that matter the minister himself looking too closely into things as that will complicate matters and complications are not what is needed now, Albus assures me that the matter in hand…. 

“Sir! “Harry said completely confused are you trying to tell me that I have a new guardian that I won’t be going back to my aunts?” 

Snape realised he had been rambling, “yes Harry that is correct.” 

“Who is it?” Harry asked quietly having a feeling what the answer was going to be but needing to hear it all the same. 

“Me Harry, I’m your guardian.” 

“No, why you? You don’t like me. Last year you made my school life hell. Most of the time I didn’t deserve it.  You look at me and all you see my dad, so why would you want to be my guardian?” 

“Now listen to me please,” and Snape took Harry gently by the shoulders.

“I agree my behaviour towards you last year was reprehensible. I admit when I looked at you I saw your father and I should have looked deeper and for that I am truly sorry.” 

Harry looked into the deep black eyes and held the gaze. 

“I heard what you said earlier you know, about breaking your promise to my mum what promise?” 

“I knew your mother when we were growing up. We were both eight when we met.

I was the one who told her she was a witch, she was muggle born so she didn’t know that all the strange little things that had been happening around her was magic. I saw her and your aunt in a park near our homes one day and your mother did a bit of accidental magic so I introduced myself. We became the very best of friends.

We would spend all our time together talking about magic and what great witches and wizards we would become. Your aunt was incessantly jealous of your mother and myself and would undermine us in every way.

She hated me. And she hated magic. She would call us freaks and unnatural.

In due course our Hogwarts letters arrived. We travelled to school together on the train and that’s where we first met James Potter.

I got sorted into Slytherin and your mother into Gryffindor along with Potter and his friends.

But we still managed to remain friends despite the best efforts of Potter and his friends.

That is until our sixth year when your father and his friends did something to me and I took it out on your mother and called her something I bitterly regret to this day.

We did not talk again until after we left school, by which time she was with your father and I had made the second biggest mistake of my life.

Your mother had not long found out she was expecting you and came to see me. She had forgiven me for what she called my schoolboy error, but I was finding it hard to forgive myself. But your mother was an incredibly stubborn and had decided that she wanted me back in her life.

She persuaded me to go and a see Dumbledore, as she knew I had gotten into something that I wanted out of and he was my only hope.

As you know they had to go into hiding not long after you were born.

But I got to see her once more before they did and she made me promise that if anything were to happen to her and Potter that I would protect you. I would be there for you.

When your parents were killed, you got placed away from the wizarding world. It was believed at the time that it would have been of greater benefit to you to grow up away from the nonsense and hype that surrounded the events of that night.

Then last year when you came to the school, and all I could see under that ridiculous mop of black hair and those glasses was your father and I forgot about my promise and how much your mother meant to me.” 

“But my mum died before she could really get to know me, so I don’t think she would hold you to that promise now.” 

Snape sat on the bed next to Harry. 

“Do not for one minute believe that. Your parents died to save your life they both loved you very much.” 

“Sir how much of my life do you know about? Harry asked, “You know with the Dursley’s” 

“I am aware that their treatment of you was less than adequate.”    

“I deserved all of it sir.” Harry murmured. 

“What exactly do you mean by that?” Harry Snape asked softly.

“I’m a burden you see on good hard working people, a freak and a good for nothing. A drain on my family. My aunt once told me that I should have died the same time as my parents and then there would be one less freak in the world.”

Harry was crying, silent tears falling freely down his face the emotions of the day finally breaking through. 

Snape took him in his arms.

“You are not a burden you are a child who deserves a proper life not one where you are continually berated, beaten and starved you are certainly not a freak.”  

 Harry pulled himself tighter into Snape’s embrace, sobs shuddering through him.

Snape wrapped his arms tighter around Harry’s small body tucking his head under his chin rocking him gently. 

“Hush now everything will be fine I promise you. Calm yourself,

if Madam Pomfrey came in here now and saw you like this she would feed me to the giant squid.” 

Harry gave a small laugh and for the first time in a long time he felt safe, he had a feeling of belonging. 

Snape could feel Harry settle so knowing he wouldn’t be moving anytime soon swung his long legs up onto the bed. 

“What you doing?” Harry asked 

“Getting comfortable, go to sleep Harry” 

“k, you still be here when I wake up?” 

“Well with you laying on me I’m not exactly going to be able to go anywhere am I? But yes child I will still be here when you wake up. Snape could feel Harry’s weight shift as the drifted off to sleep. He smoothed the messy hair gently thinking to himself, ‘I can do this, I won’t fail you again Lily, I will be there whenever Harry needs me.’ And settling back into a more comfortable position against the pillows Snape listened Harry’s gentle breathing and soon his eyes were too closed. 

When Dumbledore came to check on his boys some time later he smiled.

“I knew I had it right this time,” he said to himself, as he took a blanket off another bed and placed it over the sleeping forms.

“Pleasant dreams the pair of you.”

He said as he turned and left the ward closing the door quietly behind him.    

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Harry had been in the infirmary for two day’s and although his injuries had been healed, he was still weak. He had begun to eat small meals and to take supplementary potions.

Snape rarely left his side and if he did Ron was there. 

Ron had refused to leave Hogwarts with his mother had when her services were no longer required.

He and Mrs Weasley had a long, loud argument outside the infirmary door much to the amusement of Dumbledore, Snape, Harry and Madam Pomfrey, who heard every word, especially the reference to Harry being bored with no one but a bunch of relics to keep him company and the resounding crack that followed.  

It was on the morning of the 31st of July and Harry’s 12th birthday that Madam Pomfrey decided that he could leave the hospital. She could see no real need for him to continue to be in bed any longer and had started getting him up and walking around the ward. 

Harry was dreading this. He felt safe in the confines of his hospital ward but what was going to happen now? Nothing had really been explained to him. He still felt unsure about the fact that Professor Snape was now going to take care of him,

What exactly did it mean, where was he going to go when he left the infirmary?

Harry began walking around the ward straightening the already tidy beds, a habit he had gotten into when something was bothering him. 

Snape had noticed this so sitting down he pulled Harry to him so that he was standing leaning against his legs. 

“Now then, are you going to tell me what’s bothering you, or are you going to remake all the beds before I guess?” 

Harry gave a small snort, “Well you know I can leave here today?

He looked at his guardian.

“I was just wondering where will I be going, will Ron and I be staying in the tower until school starts?” 

“No that won’t be suitable I don’t think that even the Gryffindor tower could withstand two twelve year olds left to their own devices. Harry you will be staying with me in my quarters until school starts, the castle has added an extra room to my chambers so there is plenty of room ok.” 

“Yes sir.” Harry felt a wave of relief wash over him. 

“Now then if you are ready, perhaps you would like to go and see where you will be sleeping?” he held out a hand to Harry as he stood up and pulled him into a hug.

“I told you I would look after you Harry and I Meant it.”

“Right, I think it is too far for you to walk on your first day out of here down to the dungeons,” Snape carried on a little more “briskly so we will use Madam Pomfrey’s fire.” 

And he led Harry into the office. 

“I’ve never done this before sir.” He told Snape 

“I didn’t think you would have but not to worry I will take you through its only an internal trip after all” 

Snape lifted down the small pot of floo powder off the shelf. 

“Sir you were wrong earlier you know?” 

“Oh yes Harry when?” 

“When you said about two twelve year olds in the tower, I’m only eleven.” 

Snape hoisted Harry into his arms and threw some of the powder of into the fire. 

“Snape’s quarters.” he said and stepped into the green flames. Harry closed his eyes. 

When they stepped out the other side Harry heard calls of: 

“Surprise!” 

“No Harry I was quite correct you are twelve, today is the 31st of July. Happy Birthday.” 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

To be continued...
Chapter 6 by reddragon7

 

Harry looked around the room shocked. He saw Ron beaming at him from the corner. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were there, with a young girl Harry assumed to be the youngest and only Weasley girl in a family of six boys. Percy was next to his father eyeing the twins who seemed to be rather subdued; maybe it had something to do with the fact they were in the dreaded potions masters’ rooms. Madam Pomfrey was sitting on the couch and Dumbledore was relaxing in Snape’s armchair. 

“Didn’t think we would forget your birthday now did you Harry?” Dumbledore said his blue eyes twinkling merrily.

“Umm I did” Harry replied truthfully.

“Told you so” Ron said from the corner of the room. “I said that you wouldn’t know what day it was.”

“Smart arse” mumbled one of the twins Mrs. Weasley glared a warning at him.

Seeing Harry looking a bit overwhelmed Snape suggested that he first went and had a look at his new room.

Harry agreed gratefully. 

“Right then follow me, we will not take long but I think that Harry needs a bit of time to compose himself he said to the room at large.”

They walked down a hallway and stopped by the first of three doors.

“This is my bedroom, do not be afraid to enter it if you need me at any time but knock first."

"This is the bathroom," Snape opened the door and stepped aside for Harry to have a look. There was a large shower cubicle and in the centre a large sunken bath. “You can use that any time you wish.” Snape said pointing to the bath “just clean it after yourself.”

“Thank you.”

“Now do you want to see your room?”

“Yes please”

Snape opened the last door.

He let Harry go in first; it was just like his Gryffindor dorm room with the two four-poster beds and the red and gold bedding and décor. There were quidditch posters on the walls.

“Is it to your liking Harry?”

“Its brilliant sir but why are there two beds?”

“You don’t expect Mr Weasley to sleep on the floor do you?”

“You mean he’ll be able to stay down here as well?”

“Obviously.”

“Thank you sir.”

“You are welcome Harry I think it will benefit us both, but we will go over the rules later.”

“Knew there’d be a catch” Harry muttered.

“Mind your cheek young man Snape said ruffling Harry’s hair.

“Ready to go back out there?” 

“Can I ask you a question first sir it’s something that been bugging me?”

“And what is that”

“You told me a letter had gotten to the Weasleys”

“They received a letter, yes”

“Who wrote it?”

“Do you need to know right now?”

“Not really it’s just kinda been playing on my mind.”

“ Very well, it was your cousin.”

“DUDLEY! Dudley saved me why?”

“It would seem so and as to why I suggest you ask the headmaster, he had a lengthy conversation with young Mr. Dursley the night you were brought here. Right I think we have left your guests long enough don’t you?”

They went back out into the main room where everyone was still waiting.

“How is everything dear boy?” Dumbledore asked “Do you like your room?”

“Yes thanks sir its great.”

“Now then Harry how about opening some of your gifts eh?” Mrs. Weasley said.

“Um ok feeling unsure again not used to having a fuss made of him, having never once celebrated his birthday. Last year was the first time he had ever received anything for his birthday that he could remember and that was Hedwig his snowy owl that he had got from Hagrid.

Harry sat down on the floor and lent against Snape’s legs the small amount of contact comforting him.

Snape rested his hands on Harry’s shoulders and gave them a reassuring squeeze.

Ron then started to hand him his presents and cards.

There was a book on quidditch from Ron, a gift certificate from Flourish and Blotts the bookstore and some home made fudge from the Weasleys. Madam Pomfrey had given him pyjamas with moving golden snitches. Dumbledore had given him a beautiful chess set.

He had the one out of a Christmas cracker last year but this was really special.

And from Snape he had received some new clothes and books.

Mrs Weasley had brought a cake and with food from the kitchens a party was soon in full swing.

The twins took Harry to one side

“Are you ok Harry?" "You know mum told us what happened and that owl of yours must have flown like an arrow from a bow the speed she came through our kitchen window we were cleaning the mess up for hours after.”

“Sorry I didn’t know, and thank you for taking care of her. Ron said she was knackered when she arrived.”

He caught Snape’s raised eyebrow and blushed a little.

“It must be weird having him as your guardian,” one of the twins said Harry wasn’t sure which.

Harry shrugged his shoulders. “He hasn’t been to bad yet, but then again I haven’t done anything to upset him, he’ll probably chop me into potion ingredients when I do, so it’s been nice knowing you.”

The three red heads laughed Ron relieved to see a little of the Harry that he knew from last year coming through.

“Ron, have you heard from Hermione?” Harry asked wanting to get off the subject of his guardian.

“I wrote and told her you weren’t well and were no longer at your relatives and that I would explain everything to her when school starts.”

“Ok great thanks.”

“Harry,” Mr Weasley came over to talk to him, I am glad to see you are better.

“Thank you Mr Weasley, and thank you for rescuing me.”

“Not at all. Now may be one day when it’s a little quieter and you are feeling more yourself we could have a chat?”

“Certainly sir what about?”

“Rubber Ducks” replied the wizard.

The twins and Ron burst out laughing at the astonished look on Harry’s face.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Later in the evening after all the guests had left, Harry was sitting on his bed reading through his cards waiting for Ron to finish in the bath.

He had been surprised when Snape had told him that they would be visiting Diagon Alley the next day and that Ron would be going with them.

Snape came into his room and sat down on Ron’s bed. 

“How are you feeling?” he asked

“A little tired but ok,” Harry answered, “thanks for today sir.”

“Your welcome. But now I want to discuss a few things with you before Ronald comes in ok?”

Harry nodded.

“Harry I have a position in this school and it commands a certain amount of respect. I have worked hard to gain that respect from the pupils and my fellow teachers. My being your guardian will not detract from the respect that I expect from you.

I will be informed of all aspects of your school life good or bad. There will be rules in place and I expect them to be followed if they are broken there will be consequences.

Seeing the look of fear on Harry’s face Snape was quick to reassure him.

“I will not hit you I do not believe that a spanking would be beneficial in your case, but the punishment will fit the crime.

You will not put yourself or others in any danger like you did on countless occasions last year.

You will be informed of the rules when I have decided what exactly they are to be, I am new to this as well.

You will return to the Gryffindor tower when school starts but you will always have place here, this is your home now. And Harry I would like for you to call me Severus, when we are on our own, you will have to call me sir or professor when school restarts.”

Just then Ron came into the room

“And what do I get call you sir, when we are not in school?”

You Mr. Weasley may call me Professor Snape or sir.” Snape replied cuffing the boy softly across the ear.

“Right ho, Ron replied grinning “just thought I’d check.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The following morning Snape was sitting in his favorite chair reading the Daily Prophet, drinking his second cup of coffee of the day. It was still early and the two boys were fast asleep.

Albus Dumbledore’s head appeared in the fire “Morning my boy mind if I step through?”

“Would it make a difference if I did?” Snape muttered. “No Albus come through.”

The next minute Dumbledore was standing in Snape’s sitting room wearing the brightest purple and green robes Snape had ever seen. 

“Dear God man bit garish aren’t they what in Merlins name possessed you to purchase those?”

“Now Severus no need to be insulting, I didn’t buy them Minerva did, for my birthday.”  

“She’s getting as batty as you, would you like some tea Albus?”

“No thank you, just thought I’d let you know that the Minister of Magic is aware that Harry is no longer with the Dursley’s and that they have been arrested, Kingsley informed me earlier. I will no doubt receive a visit off Cornelius and his charming under secretary some time today.”

“Do you envisage any problems with the visit?”

“No none at all the paper work regarding the guardianship has been sealed by the Gringotts goblins and is now somewhere in the ministry so the Minister won’t get to see it for some time yet.” 

“But he is going to see it and then what?”

“I wish you would stop worrying Severus you are going to give yourself an ulcer.”

Harry wandered into the sitting room rumpled and still sleepy rubbing his eyes his usually messy hair sticking up all over the place.

“Morning Harry did you sleep well?” Dumbledore asked smiling at the small boy.

Harry jumped a little not expecting to see his headmaster this early in the morning. 

“Oh good morning sir yes thank you I slept fine.”

“I suppose Mr. Weasley is still sleeping?” asked Snape

“Yeah takes him ages to wake up,” answered Harry 

“Well Harry I sure you can think of something said the headmaster his eyes full off mischief, you are in your potion masters quarters after all.”

Harry took off down the hall and barged into his bedroom the headmaster close behind intrigued at what Harry was about to do.

“Ron, Ron, wake up you’ve slept through breakfast and potions begin in five minutes.” He shouted into the sleeping boys ear.

Ron sat up. “What I’ve missed breakfast oh bloody hell.”

“Yeah and we’ve got potions first lesson.” Harry was struggling to keep a straight face, as Ron jumped off the bed and began to look for his clothes. 

“Why didn’t any one wake us Harry?” he said grabbing a pair of socks and sitting on his bed, and then the realization set in.

“You git,” he said picking a pillow up off the bed and throwing it Harry. 

“Got you up didn’t it.”

Harry heard the headmaster chuckling outside the bedroom door.

“Come on Ron,” he said “or we will miss breakfast and we’re going to Diagon Alley today,”

Harry felt a wave of excitement wash over him he remembered the alley from last year when he visited with Hagrid, he had just found out that he was a wizard and everything was a little overwhelming. He was determined to enjoy it even more today and he would have Ron with him for company as well.

After washing and dressing the two boys raced into the sitting room ready for their breakfast.

“No running, snapped Snape your not toddlers. Sit, eat I’m going to get dressed we’ll be leaving by floo in half an hour.” 

 And Snape stalked out of the room.

“What’s rattled his cage?” Ron asked sitting by the table that was now laden with all of his favorite breakfast foods. 

Harry shrugged his shoulders, 

“Beats me.”   

‘Was it something he did or was it something to do with Dumbledore’s earlier visit?’ Determined not to let it bother him Harry placed some bacon, eggs and toast on his plate and began to eat.

Snape came out of his bedroom.

“You need to drink this Harry he said handing him a small bottle of potion then we’ll be leaving.” 

“I assume Mr. Weasley you are able to floo by yourself?” 

“Yes sir” 

“Good, floo into the Leaky Cauldron I will come through with Harry. Do not go anywhere wait by the fireplace; we will be meeting up with the rest of your family outside Madam Malkins.”

He handed Ron the small pot of the shelf. “Remember stay by the fire I do not wish to have to look for you.” 

“Ok sir see you in a bit.” Ron threw the powder into the fire and stepped into the green flames and disappeared. 

“Come on then Harry,” said Snape catching hold of him by the arm and pulling him in close lets go.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

The leaky cauldron was not very busy as it was still fairly early. Tom the old barman was there and looked up when Snape and Harry stepped out of the flames.

“Good morning Professor” he said don’t normally see you at this time of day.”

“No, well I have a few errands to attend to so if you will excuse us.” and ushered Harry and Ron out of the pub.

“Nice to see his mood has improved,” whispered Harry to Ron

“Yeah what’s up?”

“No idea bet it’s got something to do with Dumbledore’s visit this morning.” 

They watched as Snape tapped on the wall with his wand and the arch that would allow them to enter Diagon Alley appeared.

The alley was busy with early morning shoppers, some of them Harry and Ron’s school friends and they stopped and stared at Harry as he passed with Snape as they made their way to where they were meeting Ron’s family.

“Do not stop Mr. Potter.” Snape growled, “I do not want to be here all day.”

They soon met up with the rest of the Weasley’s

Harry was beginning to wonder what was wrong with his guardian, he was in a foul mood and it was getting worse. 

“Hello Harry ready to get your school things?” asked Mrs. Weasley

“I guess so,” Harry said not sure if he really wanted to spend any time with Snape on his own with the mood he was in.

“Well, we’ll take Ronald and get what he needs and meet up again outside the bookshop in a couple of hours is that ok with you?” she asked the professor.

“Yes that should give us adequate time to purchase what is required” Snape replied.

“Good luck mate.” Ron whispered to Harry 

“Thanks I think I’m gonna need it.” He replied. 

The next two hours were spent in a whirl of shopping Snape explained exactly what was required to the shopkeepers and soon packages of all shapes and sizes were gathered around them. Harry had never had so much bought for him before and if the professor weren’t in such a bad mood he would have been enjoying himself.

He stopped outside Quality Quidditch Supplies just to have a look at the new Nimbus 2001

“We haven’t got time for that now.” Snape said has he pulled him away 

“Yeah well if you hadn’t spent so much time in the apothecary we might have.”

Harry muttered under his breath his mood becoming as black as Snapes. 

Snape ignored him.

When they arrived at the bookstore there were of witches of all ages standing around giggling like schoolgirls and gossiping.

Mr. Weasley came up to join Harry and Snape. 

“The family is over there waiting for you.” 

He said pointing to where the rest of the Weasley’s were standing.

“How mad is this?” Said Ron when Harry went over to him.

“What’s going on?”

“Gilderoy Lockhart is here,” Mrs. Weasley said, sounding like a young girl, “he is signing his new book”

“Who’s Gilderoy Lockhart?” Harry asked. 

“He wrote a load of books on every thing from banshees to werewolves” said Fred Weasley coming over to join them.

“Yeah and mum fancies him.” George said 

“I reckon the new DADA professor must fancy him as well all this years books are by him.” Laughed Fred.

Mrs. Weasley gave him a dirty look.

“Harry dear Severus has gone to get the rest of your books on the list so you wait here with me ok.” 

“Yeah that’s..” but Harry didn’t finish his sentence as he was knocked into her by a scruffy little man carrying a large camera. 

“How very rude,” she said as she put Harry back on his feet.

The witches in front of them moved slightly and a blonde haired wizard wearing bright blue robes came into view. He was sitting behind a large table that was stacked high with books.

As Mrs. Weasley finished making sure Harry was ok the wizard behind the table caught sight of him.

He said something to little man standing beside him and the next thing Harry knew he was behind the table with Gilderoy Lockhart’s’ arm around his shoulder smiling a great sickly smile.

There was a flash and Lockhart said. 

“Smile Harry this is worth a fortune.” 

“Gerr off me.” Harry said struggling to get away from the man but unable to release the hold he had on him. 

“Well ladies and gentlemen,” Lockhart started to say but his speech was cut of by the looming presence of Snape. 

“I believe Mr. Potter asked you to release him.” He said a warning in his voice. 

“It’s just a few photographs no harm.”

Lockhart smiled showing dazzling white teeth either not recognizing or ignoring the warning in Snapes voice. 

“I suggest in future before you try and use Mr. Potter in any of your publicity stunts you get permission from his guardian.” 

The toothy smile still in place. Gilderoy Lockhart asked in what he believed to be a winning tone of voice. 

“And whom might that be my dear chap?” 

“That my dear chap,” answered Snape sarcasm dripping off every syllable. “Would be me.” 

He grabbed Harry and pulled him away from Lockhart, telling the Weasley’s he would see them later he dragged Harry through the silent shop. 

Once outside he grabbed hold of Harry tightly around the waist turned on the spot and disaparated. 

They landed outside the gates of Hogwarts, Harry on his knees heaving, his stomach in his mouth. 

“What the hell was that?” he groaned 

“Side along apparation quickest way to get back here.” Snape replied pulling him up off the floor. 

“Can you warn me next time please?” Harry asked. “Or better still can there not be a next time that was horrible.” 

Snape turned on Harry, his black eyes glittering dangerously.

“What was all that about in the bookshop Mr. Potter he spat out I thought you despised notoriety?” 

Harry stepped away from him what was wrong with the man today? He was behaving just like the professor that he had come to dislike last year not the caring man that had treated him with such tenderness just a few days ago.  

Not wanting to make matters any worse Harry thought that perhaps it would be better if he didn’t say anything.

It was the wrong decision

Snape grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him slightly.

“I asked you a question and I expect an answer,” he snarled in Harry’s face.

Harry now feeling fearful of Snape shook out of his hold.

“What the Blood hell’s the matter with you?” The corners of his eyes pooling with tears.

“I thought you’d changed but you haven’t it was just an act. You are just the same as you were last year; you’re just as bad as them. I can’t trust any one, I thought you were going to take care of me but it is all for show for others. Well I don’t need you I don’t need any one I can take care of myself.

And Harry ran from Snape towards the forbidden forest.

 

To be continued...
Chapter 7 by reddragon7

Harry heard Snape calling him telling him to stop but he was to far gone to listen. He just kept on running he had to get away. He had made a mistake trusting that man he needed to get away to think.

As the forbidden forest came closer he thought he could hear Snape behind him.

He couldn’t stop he needed to hide.

He did not stop as Hagrids hut came into view he knew the half giant was still away.

He ran until he crossed the boundary of the forest, the trees still fairly far apart he couldn’t stop; he needed to get further in where there was more cover.

He kept running tripping over roots, he fell. Getting back up he started to run again. He kept going until he was deep into the forest, until no daylight penetrated through the canopy.

He had grazes on his hands from falling, the knees of his jeans torn, blood trickling down his legs from cuts his shirt torn.

He tripped again and landed sprawled on the forest floor. He had no more breath in him; he could not run any more.

He pulled himself up into a sitting position and leant against a tree.

Taking deep gasping breaths he began to take stock of where he was.

He recognized the clearing. Memories of last year and the detention he had

when he first saw Voldemort leaning over the body of a unicorn. 

What was he going to now? He knew he wouldn’t be able to stay in here.

Maybe he would be able to go to Ron’s, if he could get hold of him. Hedwig was back in the school owlery perhaps she could get a message to him.

Harry began to calm down he knew he could manage without food for a while he had gone without before, as long as he could get something to drink he would have to find a stream or a something.  

Thankfully the weather was still warm so he wouldn’t freeze, but it was cooler in amongst the trees and he shivered slightly.

‘He would stay out here, for tonight and then early tomorrow he would make his way out of the forest, get Hedwig and send a message.’

He knew he was in for a long wait it was only just lunchtime when Snape had brought them back to the school.

Snape, he had really thought he was going to be different how stupid was he?

How many times in the past with his aunt and uncle had they played this game?

When someone was coming to the house Harry would have decent clothes and they would treat him like he was a real member of the family only to have it all go back to normal the next day.

The never-ending chores that made his back hurt and his muscles ache.

And the beatings, for being Harry, for being different.

And he thought that because of a promise made long ago things were going to change. But he knew different now.

That look on Snapes face when he grabbed him. Things were still the same and Harry could not hold back the pain he felt any longer and great rasping sobs broke from him he curled up into a ball and cried loud bitter tears he was scared and alone in a forest full of danger and no one cared.

And he cried until he felt like his heart would break.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Snape was running after Harry he called out,

“HARRY PLEASE STOP!”

He did not listen; the boy kept going straight toward the forest.

Hoping that he would not go in too far, Snape thought that he might catch up with him just inside. By the time he reached the trees there was no sign of Harry

He stood there and called

“Harry, I’m sorry please come out, Harry please lets go up to the castle and talk about it let me explain.”

Nothing, Snape knew he was talking to thin air. He tried a point me spell with his wand, there was too much interference with the trees and magic beings that lived in here for that particular spell to work effectively and Snapes’ wand just wobbled slightly in his hand.

Starting to panic now Snape yelled “HARRY! HARRY!”       

Snape knew the forest well as he came in here often to gather ingredients for his potions there were too many places Harry could hide.

He left the trees and sent his patronus up to the castle for help.

After sending the message, telling the Headmaster where to meet him, Snape went back into the forest to see if there was any sign of which way Harry had gone.

He could see some snapped twigs but anything could have caused it. He went a little further, nothing. He turned and went in the other direction. The same snapped twigs and trampled ground. But then he saw something that looked like a piece of torn material caught on one of the branches.

It was the same colour as the shirt Harry was wearing; maybe they should follow this path?

“Severus where are you?”

He heard Dumbledore call. He went to join him.

Standing by his side glaring at him, was the deputy Headmistress and Harry’s head of house, Minerva McGonagall.

“What happened Severus, why did he run off?” Dumbledore asked.

“I lost my temper replied Snape

“Did you strike him?” McGonagall asked angrily pointing her wand at him.

“No I would never hit Harry, he knows that. It’s just that I grabbed him. Something happened and I lost my temper and I grabbed him.

He looked at Dumbledore, his deep, black eyes filled with emotion.

“Oh dear God Albus, what have I done to my boy?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry could feel the eyes of the forest on him he knew he would have to move from here. Maybe he should make his way back to the forest boundary where the trees were thinner and then he would be able to decide when to go and get a message to Ron.

But then again what good would that really do? Snape was his guardian and whether he liked it or not he would have to go back to him.

He got up off the floor he was aching all over his hands and knees were stinging from the cuts and grazes.

He heard something behind him,

“Who’s there?” He called spinning around pulling his wand out.

Maybe it was time to move. Which way left or right? Another noise to his left made up his mind for him, he went right.

He began to walk faster there was definitely something behind him, it couldn’t be one of the dark creatures that the forest was home to, it would have attacked him by now if it was, wouldn’t it?

He could hear what sounded like paws walking through the undergrowth. Harry began running slowly; he could hear something running along side him. He stopped what ever was following him stopped he began moving again, it began moving, he couldn’t see anything perhaps it was invisible.

Harry began running again he stumbled over a root and fell. Scrambling to his feet he took off running again, faster this time, he was still being followed.

Maybe he should climb a tree, but what if the creature could climb trees?

It was keeping up with him.

He heard a growl; he began to run even faster.

Too fast he caught his foot and twisted his ankle and fell again, this time he couldn’t get up his ankle beginning to swell immediately.

 What ever was chasing him had stopped but Harry could hear it panting.

He lit his wand he would rather see what was about to attack him.

The light caught a glint of amber eyes.

He crawled as fast as he could the cuts on his hands bleeding, his ankle throbbing and sending shooting pains up his leg.

He came to large fallen tree, he tried to get a hold of something to hoist himself over. A vine or something he could use as a rope to pull himself over the obstruction. There was nothing. His wand went out.

He sat down and lent back against the tree, he could hear the creature to the left of him coming closer, lumos he lit his wand again.

This time in the light of his wand he could see two amber eyes and a set of large white fangs. And they were coming right towards him.

“AARRGG!” Harry yelled before he dropped his wand and flung his arms over his face.

 And the light went out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Snape, Dumbledore and McGonagall had been searching for Harry for well over an hour, they had take the path that Snape had seen the piece of torn shirt, hoping they were going the right way.

“Maybe we should have called for reinforcements,” Snape said, “The forest is too big for the three of us to search alone.”

“Have faith Severus we will find him” replied Dumbledore.

They walked on in silence all three of them with their wands drawn and illuminated.

“Am I going to be able to fix this? Snape asked no one in particular. “I’ve really messed up this time. I need to stop making promises because I’m no bloody good at keeping them.”

McGonagall patted his arm.

“I am really annoyed with you at the moment Severus but contrary to belief you are exactly what that boy needs. I think you will make a good parent to Harry”

“Yes so good that after our first outing he goes running into the forbidden forest.”

They kept on walking until they eventually arrived at the clearing.

There was evidence that something had been there by the flattened grass.

Dumbledore waved his wand and did a complex spell, a faint outline appeared.

“Harry was here,” he said walking on. And he is not alone something is following him,” and Dumbledore quickened the pace.

Snapes stomach dropped

“What is it, what’s following him?

“I can’t make it out the spell only picks up human signatures”

Snape felt sick, not only was Harry lost in here something was stalking him and it was his entire fault, if anything happened to him he’d put himself in Azkaban.

“I don’t think we are that far behind him now.” Dumbledore said.

As a scream ripped through the air.

 

To be continued...
Chapter 8 by reddragon7
Author's Notes:
I would like to dedicate this chapter to my cousin 'Joy' who 2 days ago lost her battle to cancer. love you alwaysxx

Snape ran, following the sound of the scream.

“Hang on Harry I’m coming.” he yelled.

“Oh hell please be ok,” Snape said as he tripped over a root that was stickingup out of the ground and went sprawling.   

Dumbledore caught up with him and helped him up, if the situation hadn’t been so dire he would have laughed at seeing the normally stoic potions professor flat out on the floor. 

Snape didn’t say anything. The look that he gave the Headmaster as he took the hand offered to pull himself up was enough. He started running again desperate to get to Harry and to help him out of whatever trouble he was in.

Dumbledore and McGonagall close behind. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry dropped is wand and the light went out. He covered his head, curled up into a ball and prepared for the attack.

The panting creature slowly came closer. He could now feel its hot breath on the exposed arms that were protecting his head. He waited for the first bite of those teeth.

Two paws landed on him with a force that pushed him onto his back. Pinning him to the floor, here it comes thought hoping that it would be over quick. Remembering the bites that he had received from aunt Marge’s dog and its teeth were half the size of this creature.

The snout coming closer, Harry was trembling, and it pushed its way under the arms still protecting the head. A cold nose making him jump and yelp snuffled his ear. A long wet tongue licked his cheek.

He passed out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Harry’s opened his eyes everything was blurry and he couldn’t make out where he was. All he knew was that it was not the forest. He was laying on something soft and warm not hard like the forest floor. His ankle was no longer hurting.

“Harry your awake, here” and he felt his glasses being placed in his hand. He put them on.

“What happened?” He asked sitting up realizing he was back in his room in the dungeons. 

“Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall and myself found you. We heard your yell and followed the sound. Snape was standing at the bottom of his bed looking tired but relieved.

“We assumed the animal was attacking you and Professor McGonagall stunned it. I picked you up and carried you back here. I checked you over and realized that you hadn’t been bitten at all.” 

“Are you ready to tell me what happened before we got to you?” 

Harry shook his head and asked, “What was it? All I saw was eyes and teeth” 

“It was a young wolf cub.”

"Where is it now?" Harry asked

"I have no idea" Snape replid "Professor Dumbledore took it somewhere."  

Snape sat on the bed next to Harry. Harry moved away slightly.

“We need to talk, I need to explain I need to apologise.” 

“Have you spoken to the Weasley’s?” Harry asked ignoring him, Ron thought that he was staying here again to night.” 

“I have, I’ve explained to them and Ron will return in a few days, he is on a punishment at the moment no doubt he will explain it to you when he returns.” 

“Harry I am truly sorry for today, I behaved abominably. You could have been seriously injured or killed, when I heard your scream I thought the worse, I thought I had lost you. 

Harry looked directly into Snapes black eyes dare he trust this man he had already hurt him once. Yes he had shown a caring side but was that just for the benefit of others. Could he really change? Harry was so confused. 

“Do you mind sir I’m still a little tired?” he said and Harry turned his back to Snape and closed his eyes.  

“Fine Harry,” Snape said as he got up off the bed smoothing the messy hair. “We’ll talk tomorrow. Sleep well”

Snape spelled the lights off and left the room.

Harry rolled onto his back the minute Snape was out of the room. Staring into the darkness he could feel his chest tighten and his eyes well up with tears he did not want to cry, he had cried enough. Maybe he should listen to what Snape had to say.

 After all what did he have to lose?

Snape was sitting by the fire when there came a knock at the door, looking at the spy parchment and seeing Dumbledore and McGonagall’s names on it he waved the wards away to allow them in.

“How is he?” McGonagall asked as soon as she came through the door.

“Awake, but refusing to talk to me.” Answered Snape.

“What exactly happened today to cause him to run into the forest? I would have thought after what happened in there last year that is the last place he would want to be.” McGonagall asked pulling out a bottle of whisky from her robes and fetching some glasses poured three very healthy measures.

Taking a large swig out of the drink he was handed he sat down and explained what had happened that day.

“I just don’t understand it” Dumbledore said, “Everything was fine between you up until this morning why the sudden change?” 

“Albus you seem to think that the ministry will just roll over and allow me to have Harry without any interference, I can’t help but feel that I am in for a fight and when you said this morning you expected a visit from Fudge and Umbridge I thought that the fight was about to start and I was not ready. I took it out on Harry; I ruined what should have been a wonderful day for him and accused him of attention seeking all because I was not ready to stand up for what is mine.” 

Snape put his glass down on the little table in front of him he poured himself another large drink and downed it in one.

“The answer to your problems is not at the bottom of a bottle mind you Severus,” McGonagall said. “I know I brought the drink but it’s only because I thought we could all do with one.”

“I don’t think he will ever forgive me, if you saw the look on his face; he accused me of being just like them, like those damnable muggles.” 

“I didn’t mean it sir.” Snapes’ head shot up when he heard Harry’s voice. “I was just angry at you.”

“Harry, I thought you were tired” Snape said.

“I heard voices” he replied.

McGonagall placed her glass on the table, “Albus I think that this is our cue to leave,” she said. 

“I don’t know Minerva maybe we should perhaps just stay and….”but McGonagall cut him off. 

“No you meddling old coot they have to sort this out themselves and no matter how good or noble your intentions, they do not need your input.” she raised her eyebrow doing a remarkable imitation of Professor Snape.

McGonagall went over to Harry and shocked him by pulling him into a hug,

“I am very happy that you are ok Harry.” She dropped her voice, “Give Severus a chance he is a good man you did not see him in the forest.” And she kissed an astounded Harry on the cheek and wished him goodnight. 

Dumbledore held his hand out to him and said, “Well my boy I will see you tomorrow.” and shook Harry’s hand. 

When the two visitors had left Harry sat on the couch opposite his guardian. Not knowing what to do or say he started fiddling with a loose thread on his pyjama top. 

“Harry, are you hungry you have had nothing to eat all day?” asked Snape.

Harry shrugged “A little I guess.” 

“I’ll send for something from the kitchens if you want or I could make you a sandwich.” Snape said.

“A sandwich will be fine thanks,” Harry replied.

“I won’t be long.” And Snape went into the small self-contained kitchen just off the lounge. Harry could hear him moving around as he prepared his food. 

Snape came back carrying a tray with a plate of ham sandwiches, a bowl of crisps and a mug of tea. Beside the plate was a vial of potion. He set it down on the table and told Harry to help himself. “Eat as little or as much as you want, the plate will keep refilling itself until you have had enough but please take the potion.” he said and sat back and watched as Harry ate his fill. 

They sat in silence as Harry ate, Snape helping himself to one or two of the sandwiches and a handful of crisps. But as soon as he finished Snape could not restrain himself any longer.

“Harry I am really very sorry I don’t know how many more times I can say it to you before you believe me?” Snape said again hoping to get through to the boy.

“I Know sir, I kind of believe you. And I didn’t really mean it when I said you were like them. I only said it to hurt you and I am sorry too. Harry hung his head not wanting to look Snape in the eyes.     

Snape went and sat alongside Harry on the couch.

“How about we start again?” Snape asked

Harry looked at him a little confused. “What do you mean sir?”

Snape held his hand out to Harry. 

“Hello my name is Severus Snape. I would like to be your guardian and I promise to take care of you.”

Harry took his hand. “Hello Severus I think would like that very much.”

Just outside the chamber door McGonagall turned to Dumbledore

“Right are you satisfied now can we go I would like to go to bed some time tonight?” She asked “I thought you were not worried in the slightest and yet here you are skulking around in the corridors eavesdropping She carried on the tirade not allowing the wizard to get a word in edge ways.”

Dumbledore held his hand up

“I know Minnie but I just wanted to be sure that my boys were going to be alright, but you are right as usual it is time to retire, besides I need to check on my guest.”

“What guest? Oh for love of Merlin, Albus PLEASE, PLEASE, don’t tell me you have that bloody wolf in your chambers?” 

And with a twinkle in his eye Dumbledore winked at McGonagall blew her a kiss and walked away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

To be continued...
Chapter 9 by reddragon7

Snape was sitting in his chair again this morning with his usual cup of coffee waiting for his morning paper to arrive when Harry came into the room. 

“Morning Harry,” he said to him as he watched the boy sleepily brush his hair out of his eyes. “Did you sleep well?” 

“Morning sir uh Severus, Harry replied a little shyly, “yes thanks I slept great in the end.” 

They had stayed up talking for a while after Dumbledore and McGonagall had left, until Harry could no longer keep his eyes open. And with a promise of continuing their conversation today Harry finally agreed to go to bed. 

“We have been invited up to the Headmasters Chambers for breakfast this morning so when you have showered and changed we will make our way up there.” Snape told Harry. 

“Ok fine said Harry turning and going back down the hall to the bathroom to get ready for the day. 

Snape paced whilst he was waiting for Harry, he would have liked to read the paper, but for some reason it had not arrived. 

As soon as Harry was ready they left the dungeons and made the long walk up to Dumbledore’s tower. 

 

“Sir, um Severus” Harry asked while they walked, why wasn’t Ron allowed to stay here last night?” Was it because I run off?” 

“No Harry it had absolutely nothing to do with that. But I think I should allow young Mr. Weasley to tell you the tale. You will see him maybe later today, if not it will be tomorrow alright?” 

“Yes ok.”

“Severus?” Harry said the name with out a stumble this time and Snape smiled to himself, a warm feeling in the pit of his stomach at the sound of Harry saying his name. 

“Yes Harry?”

“Do you think I could go flying sometime today, if we’re not to busy that is?”

“There might be a bit of a problem there Harry, you see when Dumbledore retrieved your belongings from the Dursley’s your broom was not amongst them. I am afraid they have destroyed it. But I will replace it for you.”

“There’s no need sir Harry said, the sir slipping out, “I left it here at the end of term, it’s in the Gryffindor changing room in my locker. I didn’t want them getting their hands on it so I thought it was the best thing to do. And after all I couldn’t fly in Little Whinging.”

“So you took you school books back with you and left your broom?” Snape asked.

Harry looked a bit sheepish. “Yeah well I had to, I had homework to do. But they just took my trunk off me as soon as I got home and locked it away. I know they tried to get into the trunk but they couldn’t.”

“And why is that?” Snape asked

“I had Hermione put one hell of a locking charm on it,” laughed Harry.

“How very Gryffindor of you ” smirked Snape. “So did you manage to do any schoolwork?”

Harry shook his head in reply.

“Well we will have to rectify that won’t we? There is still time before the start of term.”

“Great,” muttered Harry under his breath.

“Something to say Mr. Potter?” asked Snape smiling.

“Nothing at all Professor Snape.” Harry replied, enjoying the banter between them.

 

Arriving at the revolving staircase that would take them up to the Headmaster’s chambers Snape gave the password,  “JELLYBABIES,” to the gargoyle.

“Really?” asked Harry laughing.

 Snape shook his head. “Don’t ask,” he said. 

When they reached the office door Harry knocked and they were bid entry.

Dumbledore was sat behind his large desk looking through some papers when they entered. He stood up and opened his arms in welcome.  

“Come in, come in my boys and sit yourselves down. Make yourselves comfortable; breakfast will be here any minute. How are things?” he rambled on ushering them in and waving them towards the table that had been set for four.

“Fine Albus, everything is fine, Snape answered sitting down at the proffered chair, who else are we expecting?” He asked, Harry sat down opposite.

“Just Minerva, she wanted to be here to catch up as well. She didn’t get to see much of Harry yesterday after all.”

“I didn’t realize it was fancy dress Headmaster.” Snape drawled, looking the wizard up and down.

Dumbledore was wearing bright green robes covered in orange swirls.

Harry snorted.

A small whine behind a door to his left caught his attention.

“What was that?” Snape asked looking at the Headmaster.

“Nothing.” Dumbledore replied an inocent look on his face.

There was a sound of scratching, like claws on wood, and a definite louder whine.

“Oh no you didn’t, Headmaster please tell me you let that thing go?”

Harry looked at Snape bemused now. What was behind the door that had got him so worked up?

“Well I couldn’t leave him out there all on his own now could I?” 

“You sound like that bloody idiot Hagrid. “You mean to tell me you have had that creature in your rooms, all-night?”

“Well no, we went for a walk last night after I left you, it was most enjoyable.”

“Albus you need your head examined, Harry do not open that….” But it was too late curiosity had overtaken Harry, and not getting any answers listening to the two men he went over and opened the door.

A flash of tan and white fur came bounding out of Dumbledore’s bedchamber.

Memories of yesterday and the forest came flooding back and Harry was flat on his back whilst two paws pinned him to the ground. A long very wet tongue then proceeded to lick every inch of his face.

“You see Severus he is very friendly and he seems to really like young Harry.” 

“Oh no you don’t old man I can see where you are heading with this one and you can just bloody well forget it.”

“Come on Severus every child should have a pet.”

“Harry has his owl.”

Harry had now managed to extricate himself from under the animal and went to sit back down, the cub happily trotting after him.

“Do not look at me like that Albus I mean it, I will not be manipulated by you or anyone else.”

“I do not know what you mean Severus,” replied Dumbledore blue eyes shinning a large smile on his face. 

 The cub had come over and placed its head on Snapes lap and was looking up at him. Snape pushed it away. 

“The same goes for you too, puppy dog eyes may work on most people but they will not work on me. Albus I will not have a wild animal in my quarters however ‘cute’ it may be.”

“So you agree he is cute” 

Snape scowled.

“Albus you can keep on until you are blue in the face. I will not have that animal in the dungeons."

Harry started laughing as the cub flopped down on the floor on its back with all four legs in the air and began to roll from side to side.

Harry knelt down and started to scratch his belly and just like a dog his back leg began to kick. 

“The boy seems to be quite taken with it though and he is such a friendly creature.”

“Albus I am not having our quarters smelling of wet dog.”

“Well technically as he is a wolf.”

“Do not get pedantic with me old man.” Snape growled. 

“And what happens when Harry and I are in class all day who is going to keep an eye on it then?  I won’t have it left alone to its own devices using anything it feels like as it’s own personal chew toy.” 

“He can stay with Hagrid I’m sure he won’t mind.” Harry said quietly 

 “And besides what happens when the novelty wears off? It will be left to me to tend to the animals needs and I have quite enough to do as it is. No its out if the question the animal should be running free in the forest not cooped up in a castle,” Snape carried on ignoring Harry. 

 “I promise I will feed him and walk him every day.” Harry said now going over to his guardian and trying the puppy dog look for himself. 

“Harry, take that look off your face I am not giving in on this. I do not like animals I certainly do not like wolves and I have no intention of taking a stray into my home.” 

“You took me,” Harry said. 

Snape now scowled at him. 

The door to the office opened and McGonagall entered. 

“Thank God,” said Snape, “back up.” 

The wolf went bounding over to greet the new comer. 

“SIT.”

 She said sharply as it went to jump up and turned and scowled at Dumbledore. 

“What is this thing still doing here? I thought you were going to return it to the forest last night.”

Snape gave Dumbledore a look that would have had a lesser man quaking in his shoes.

“You were going to get rid of it last night?” He asked. 

“I tried. I spent two hours trying to get the damn animal to stay in the forest but he kept following me. So in the end I gave in and brought him back here.”

Harry looked across at Snape and could not believe what he was seeing, tears of mirth were shinning in the dour mans’ eyes, threatening to spill over onto his face. 

“Well, well the master manipulator out maneuvered by a mutt.” Snape roared with laughter.

“Yes well how about we all have some breakfast before we decide what is to be done?” Dumbledore said rather embarrassed about being found out. 

Settling down again by the table Snape turned to Harry. 

 “There is nothing to be decided… "

There was a knock on the office door and before Albus could say anything it was flung open and in walked a stout man in a pinstriped suit carrying a green bowler hat. Following behind him a small witch who bore a remarkable resemblance to a toad.

Cornelius Fudge the Minister for Magic and his Undersecretary, Dolores Umbridge walked into the room as if they owned the place.

“Good morning Cornelius and to you to Dolores what brings you here so early may we offer you some breakfast?” Dumbledore asked jovially.

The minister of magic waved away the offer.

“No thank you Albus, this is not a social visit.”

The cub growled at the tone of voice coming from this man and slunk closer to Harry.

Harry placed his hand on his head to calm him

“Oh right so what can I do to help you?”

“Well I think perhaps Mr. Potter there would be better waiting outside as it is he we are here to discuss,” Fudge said.

Snape snapped at him. “Anything you have to say about my ward you can say in front of him and me.”

“That is just the thing Dumbledore had no right to appoint you as his guardian.” Dolores Umbridge said.

Fudge shot an annoyed look at her.

“Dumbledore did what was needed to get Harry out if that situation you were not there Minister, you did not see what those people did to him.” Snape replied completely ignoring the little witch.

“Yes well that’s as may be,” bustled the man unable to look Snape in the eye, “I believe that, and Dolores agrees, as do many others if you read today’s paper, that Mr. Potter should be placed with a more suitable person, someone perhaps appointed by the Ministry.”

“And certainly not a dea…” began Umbridge. 

 But Dumbledore cut her off.

“If you do not mind I will not have that term used in this office.” He said his eyes glowing dangerously now as he looked at her.

“The paper work required for Severus to become Harry’s legal guardian is all above board. It has been placed with the correct office within the Ministry.”

“Yes but Guardianships can be over turned quite easily Albus.” Fudge snapped, “and we believe that Harry would be better placed within a Ministry approved family.” 

“Ah but not this one Cornelius,” replied Dumbledore his smile sickly sweet, “I suggest that when you return to the office you check out the papers. You see knowing the Ministry would just have to interfere, I though it would be wise to have the guardianship sealed by strong magic, and therefore I sent it through Gringotts. So my dear Minister, there is nothing you can do. Severus is Harry’s legal guardian and shall remain so.” 

“But there are things Albus that even you have failed to think of,” Fudge said “there are ways to break the goblin guardian seal.” 

“Excuse me sir, Harry finally spoke up. “Does anyone actually care about what I want?” 

Fudge and Umbridge looked at Harry astounded that he should dare to actually address them.

“You are a child and as such you are unable to make such a decision.” Umbridge said talking down to him as one would to a toddler.

Harry was shaking were they really going to take him away from here? 

Snape put his hand on Harry’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze to try to calm and reassure him that all would be well. 

 The wolf cub picking up on the tension building in the room was growling softly but for the moment stayed behind Harry.

Umbridge began to close in on Harry and nervously Harry backed away. Snape stepped in front of him.

“Do not come any closer,” Snape snapped at the woman warningly. 

She stopped. “He is threatening me," she screeched.

McGonagall who had been watching the proceedings with increasing annoyance turned on the woman and said.

“Oh for heavens sake woman pull your head in, Severus is doing no such thing.” 

“The man is not stable, he should not be charged with the care of a minor and I am going to see to it that the boy is removed from Professor Snape’s guardianship.” 

“NO! Yelled Harry you are not taking me away from Severus. I want to stay with him you can’t take me away.” 

Umbridge then pushing Snape out of the way grabbed Harry who became hysterical. 

“You my boy will learn to listen to your elders and betters.” And she gave him a small shake. 

But before Snape or anyone else could do anything the wolf, seeing Harry being manhandled by the strange woman decided to take matters into its own paws.

He ran at Umbridge growling at her bearing all his teeth.

She let go of Harry’s shoulder and leapt back with a scream that would make a banshee jealous, he nipped around her heals playfully but still showing his teeth and growling. 

“Get that away from me,” she yelled as she turned and ran for the door with the cub following behind still nipping at her heels as she sped out of the room. They could hear her screams echoing through the empty corridors as the wolf continued to chase her through the school. 

Fudge started shouting.

“What on earth are you playing at Dumbledore, why have you got a wild animal in your chambers? If that creature harms Dolores in any way I will have it destroyed.” 

Snape stepped in front of the man and snarled.

“I have had just about enough of you, you pompous little arse. You have come in here and behaved reprehensively towards my ward and myself. And you have allowed a member of your staff to manhandle a child. You then threaten that child’s pet. And you are the person to whom we trust the running of our world. Let me tell you something now Fudge,” Snape was practically nose to nose with the Minister,  “You come within an inch of Harry again and I will hex you into the next millennium. “DO. I. MAKE. MYSELF. PERFECTLY. UNDERSTOOD?” 

Fudge just stood there his face pale twirling the green hat nervously and nodded. 

“I think perhaps we have said all that needs to be said Cornelius, so maybe now is the best time for you to take your leave. We will see you, no doubt, during the Dursley trials. But make no mistake any attempts to what is the term, oh yes throw a spanner in the works when it comes to Harry and Severus then you will see just how meddlesome I can become. Do I make myself perfectly clear?” 

Taking about all the threats he could for one morning Fudge placed his hat on his head and without another word left the room in search of his secretary. 

Snape sank down in a chair and placed his head in his hands. 

“Oh bloody hell” he said, “I can not believe I just did that.” 

“Did what, threaten the Minister of Magic?” McGonagall replied sitting down next to Snape and taking one of his shaking hands into hers. 

“No he said that I don’t really care about.” 

“What is the problem then?” McGonagall asked not understanding. 

 “I just said that that bloody wolf was Harry’s pet.” He replied groaning 

Dumbledore laughed and so did McGonagall but Harry was just sitting on a chair his green eyes full of apprehension. 

“Harry’” Snape said getting up and going over to placing a hand on his shoulder what is wrong?” 

“He is going to take me away from you isn’t he?” Harry said mumbling into his lap not able to look at Snape. 

Snape knelt down in front of him and took him into his arms. 

“Never Harry, I told you last night I would be here for you until the day I die and I meant it, besides you can not go anywhere you’ve got a new pet to take care of,” and he pulled him into a deep hug. 

“Hum, hum,” Dumbledore cleared his throat. “I think, ‘he said, “that as time has gone on, I should perhaps send down to the kitchens and we should have brunch now. I don’t know about you but I am feeling rather hungry after all that excitement.” 

The other three just nodded in agreement 

Then Harry pulled out of the hug. 

“What about the wolf?” he said, “what if that woman or Fudge has hurt him I should go and look for him.” 

Snape shook his head. “You will stay here and have some food Harry. You missed your meals yesterday you are not going to do so today.” 

“But what if…” Harry began to argue. 

“No you will do as you are told,” Snape said “that animal is perfectly capable of taking care of itself.” 

Harry looked pleadingly at the Headmaster.

“I tell you what Harry, he said, “what if he has not returned by the time we have had food then we will ALL go and look for him will that suit you?” 

Harry nodded gratefully at the Headmaster. 

"Right I will send down to the kitchens now before we have any more interruptions." Dumbledore said. 

Whilst they were waiting for the food to arrive they began to talk about the mornings events. 

Ten minutes later and the table was finally full of food.

Harry realising just how hungry he was piled his plate and began to eat, Snape gave him his potion 

“You still need this Harry,” he said but pleased to see the amount of food in front of the boy. 

Finally relaxing and enjoying his food Dumbledore was annoyed when the floo alarm sounded, “What now he moaned and got up from the table and went over to the fire. 

The head of Kingsley Shacklebolt appeared in the fire, his deep voice resonating through the room. “May I come through?” he asked

“Yes certainly.” Answered Dumbledore stepping out of the way and in a flash of green the large auror was standing in the office. 

“Is there a problem Kingsley?” Dumbledore asked. 

“I thought you might want to know that the date of the Dursley’s trial has been set. It is in front of the whole wizengamot in three weeks on the 19th of August.”

“Right thank you for telling us but that is not all is it?” Dumbledore asked noting that the auror seemed strangely agitated.

“No Albus it is not, it would seem that someone has come forward and placed a claim on Harry this morning”

Harry felt sick as he asked whom?

 Kingsley looked at him and said.

 “Miss Marjorie Dursley.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

To be continued...
Chapter 10 by reddragon7
Author's Notes:
Any mistakes I am sorry for as I do not have a beta
but enjoy anyway.

The wolf cub had chased Umbridge all the way from the Headmasters’ office to the castles main gates. Umbridge had tried a couple of times to get her wand from her handbag to cast a hex on the animal, but every time she slowed down he would nip at her behind causing her to speed up again.

Once she reached the gates she managed to open them enough to slip out and slammed them shut again before the cub could follow her through.

Relieved, she lent up against a nearby tree to catch her breath and wait for Fudge to catch up with her. The wolf, not at all bothered that his ‘prey’ had escaped, walked closer to the gates and sniffed.

Umbridge felt a little braver the fact that there was a twenty-foot gate between her and the beast.

“I will have you as a rug in my office before the winter you odious animal," she sneered at it.

If anyone had seen the cub at that moment they would have sworn that it smiled as it cocked it’s back leg and aimed through the gates a very strong stream of urine all over the woman’s legs. Then giving a little shake, he turned his head and looked at the shocked witch and trotted away.

Fudge caught up with Umbridge just as she was cleaning her self up

“I am going to have that wolf. His head is going to look so good on my wall.”

“Never mind that now,” Fudge said. “I have had just about enough for one day. But I think that we have a few things to discuss when we return to the office.”

And with that he apparated away, Umbridge followed behind.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Back in the Headmasters office Harry was listening to what was being said but not quite taking it in.

“I have to take Harry to the Ministry," Shacklebolt said, “they are taking the claim seriously.”

“I have to go to Aunt Marge?” Harry asked quietly.

“Not yet,” Shacklebolt answered, “it is just that the proper procedures must be followed and the head of child welfare would like to question you.”

Snape looked at Dumbledore. “I don’t believe this. How the hell did a muggle get in touch with the Ministry in the first place?”

“That is something I will be looking into,” Shacklbolt said, “the parchment was on Madam Bones’ desk this morning with a memo from Umbridge to bring you in for questioning about your living arrangements.”

“What’s it got to do with that old harridan?” McGonagall asked her temper rising seeing the distress on Harry’s face. “Why was she here this morning if she had already sent the order for Harry to brought to the Ministry?”

“She had to come with Fudge didn’t she? I know he is completely unaware of what goes on under his nose.” Dumbledore answered. “I very often make sure of it, very well Kingsley we will bring Harry along shortly.”

But Shacklbolt shook his head. “No Albus I am sorry but they want to see him alone.”

“That is not going to happen,” said Snape vehemently, “I am his guardian and as such I will escort Harry to the Ministry and to any meetings that they want with him.”

Harry was now sitting on the floor by the fireplace his head in his hands wishing just for once he could have one day where he wasn’t chased through the forest or summoned to the….His head shot up.

“The wolf, I need to go and look for the cub, he may be injured that woman could have done anything to him.”

“Never mind that Harry, I will go and look for the cub and make sure it is fine, you need to go along with Severus and Shacklebolt now. But do not worry when you come back later I am sure that your new pet will be waiting for you.” McGonagall said with a sly smirk at Snape.

Snape stood over Harry and held out his hand. “Come on son,” he said “lets go and sort out this mess and then maybe we can get on with our holiday without any more interruptions.”

Harry took his hand and Snape pulled him up of the floor.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry, Snape and Shacklebolt stepped out of the floo in the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic.

Harry looked around in complete awe the place was enormous. The high ceiling painted a light blue inlaid with gold and silver.

Fireplaces were set down both sides of the walls beautiful wood paneling surrounding them. On the left there were witches and wizards arriving with a flash of green flames and on the right small queues forming as they prepared to leave.

Harry turned his head back and forth trying to take everything in.

“Impressive isn’t it? I’ve been working here for years now and it still overwhelms me on occasions.” Harry did not catch the note of sarcasm in Shacklebolts’ voice but Snape did, and quirked an eyebrow at the large Auror.

“This way,” Shacklebolt led them towards a large desk behind which a wizard sat reading the Daily Prophet. Harry gasped when he saw his name across the front of the first page in large bold lettering:

HARRY POTTER AND THE…..

He could not make out the rest of headline as Shacklebolt stepped in front of him.

The wizard behind the desk who was wearing green robes with security written right across them, said without looking up;

“State your name and business”

“Kingsley Shacklebolt escorting Severus Snape and Harry Potter, and if you want to keep your position Mr. Oregreave, I would put that paper down and do your job.”

The security wizard looked up and seeing Shacklebolt standing before him nearly fell off his chair. He threw the paper down and stood up quickly.

“Sorry Auror Shacklebolt sir,” he said. “Its just that its been a slow morning so I fort you know I would have a quick shufty at the paper like, see what all the fuss is abat, you know wiv all the bovver wiv the ‘ead lines.”

Shacklebolt shook his head.

“Just get on with the job you are paid to do and if I find you reading on duty again you’ll be sweeping out every floo for the next month, do I make myself understood?”

The security wizard nodded and came around from behind his desk.

“Sorry Auror Shacklbolt," he said as he began to wave his wand over first Harry then Snape. After the wand had turned green on both occasions the wizard turned and said, “You may both go through an’ I ‘ope you ‘ave a good day.”

Shacklebolt led them through a set of large gates into a circular area surrounded by lifts.

 “This way,” he said making his way to a lift, “this one will take us right to where we need to go.”

The area surrounding the lifts was extremely busy, there were people entering and leaving every couple of seconds. Pieces of parchment flying around added to the general noise and bustle.

They entered one of the lifts; Shacklebolt closed the door, pressing the button that would take them to the third floor. The lift moved first with a jerking motion then dropped suddenly and shot off to the right. It stopped just as suddenly and a voice said.

“Third floor: Head of Auror Office, Muggle Liaison Office, and Office for the Head of Wizard Child Welfare.”

The three of them stepped off the lift and Snape looked down at Harry seeing he was looking a little green asked,

“Are you aright?”

“Can we go back, I think I left my stomach back there?” Harry replied smiling slightly. 

Shacklebolt let out a loud deep guffaw making people look around in astonishment.

“Sorry about that Harry I should have warned you. Right lets get this over with.” He said stopping outside a door and knocking on it.

Harry read the name on the brass plate, Madam M Talmage Head of Wizard Child Welfare.

“She is really nice Harry just answer the questions she asks you and everything will be fine, one thing though, she tends to start most sentences with, Right.”

Snape had his hand on Harry’s back and the slight pressure calmed his nerves slightly.

A voice from the other side of the called out and bid them enter and the three of them went in.

The witch looked up as they entered and she smiled

“Ah Kingsley welcome come in, come in and you must be Harry?” she said holding out her hand.

Harry took the hand and shook it

“Hello,” he said, “pleased to meet you.”

She then held her hand out to Snape and shook and welcomed him too.

“ Right, now” she said. “I have received this claim this morning and unfortunately I have to follow it up, before I get down to asking my questions is there anything I can get any of you, Tea, coffee, pumpkin juice?”

Snape and Harry both declined wanting to get the interview over with as quickly as possible.

‘Right” she said “Professor Snape you are of course more than welcome to stay with Harry as you are at this moment registered as his guardian, but I must ask you not to interrupt.”

Snape nodded.

“Right, she said again, “Harry as you are aware Miss Dursley has asked to take over your care due to the fact that your previous care givers have been arrested and waiting trial. I need to determine whether it is better for you to stay where you are or if you should indeed go and live with your aunt.”

“She’s not my aunt.” Harry interrupted

“I beg your pardon?” The witch asked looking at him

“I have had to call he aunt all the time I lived with them but she is nothing to me, she is Vernon’s sister, he is married to my mothers sister like I said, she is nothing to me.”

“Right, lets carry on shall we?” The witch said looking down at the parchment on her desk a little confused as if she had been told something different.

“Right Harry how long have you lived with your aunt and uncle?”

“Ten years.”

“And how many times have you stayed with Miss Dursley in those years?”

“Never, Dudley, my cousin, would spend a weekend with her every now and again if Vernon and Petunia would go away but I never stayed with her.”

“ Right, and how often would Miss Dursley come and visit?”

“Once in the summer and at Christmas.” Harry answered.

“Right, can you tell me about those visits please?”

“She would come and stay for a week, make my life hell and leave.”

“Harry, did Miss Dursley ever raise a hand to you?”

“Often.”

“And you are not just saying it to stay where you are?”

Harry looked at the witch directly in the eyes and said,

“No Madam Talmage, my life with the Dursleys’ was bad enough but it got worse when that woman came to stay. She would talk about my parents in front of me calling them names and saying that with any luck I would end up just like them, I think she meant dead. She would always bring her favorite dog with her and wind him up so he would chase and bite me. And if she thought the punishment that Vernon had dealt out was not harsh enough for me to, “learn my lesson”, then she would show him the best way to discipline someone like me, and I had to be grateful for them taking me in.” 

“Right, this is not what I have written in front of me,” the witch said.

It states here that you had spent many holidays with the woman in question and that you had a very good relationship from the time that you went to live with your relatives.”

The witch looked at Shacklebolt who was standing in the corner of the room.

“Right, what do you think is going on here Kingsley?" She asked.

“The fact that a muggle was able to contact the Ministry in the first place is something I will be looking into, but I believe after meeting the other Dursleys’ Harry is safer where he is.” Shacklebolt replied.

“Right I am going to have to ask Professor Snape to step outside now whilst I ask my next questions is that all right with you?” She looked at Snape.

He nodded and stood up.

“I’ll just be outside Harry all right?” he gave his shoulder a quick squeeze.

Harry nodded.

“Right, Harry I want to ask you a few questions about the professor, how do you feel about him being your guardian?”

“I was unsure at first, we didn’t get on that well last year, but he has taken really good care of me the past few days, and we have had a good talk. I know he wants me and he has promised never to raise a hand to me. I feel safe with Severus, safer with him than I can ever remember.”

Harry looked at the witch, whose eyes seemed suspiciously moist.

“I don’t want to leave Severus I know it has only been a few days but I am happy.”

“Right well I think that concludes everything I have to ask for now, I will have to see you again closer to the Dursleys trial.”

 She walked over to the door and opened it.

 “Right Professor Snape you can come back in now.” 

Harry looked up at Snape and smiled as he came back in the room.

“Are you alright Harry?” He asked as he sat down next to the boy.

Harry just nodded his reply, he was still worried that even though he had told the truth about the way things were with Marge he would still somehow end up with her.

“Right I have listened to what young Harry has to say. And with the reasons why he was taken from the Dursleys in the first place and the discrepancies between what is written here and what he has told me, I see no reason to turn his care over to some one who obviously has no actual legitimate claim on him.”

Madam Talmage smiled at Harry.

“Is that ok with you?”

Harry looked at her not quite understanding what she was getting at.

“Does that mean I get to stay with Severus?” he asked.

“Yes Harry as far as I am concerned that is the best place for you.”

He jumped put of his chair and threw himself at Snape.

“I get to stay.” He said.

“Never doubted it for a minute.” Snape replied looking down smiling at the small boy holding onto him tightly.

“Right, I will be submitting my findings with the Minister and his department later. The witch stood up again and held out her hand to first Snape and then Harry.

“I must say Harry It has been a pleasure to meet you and I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. You will receive an owl from me within the next couple of weeks about when to come in again about the trial.”

Dismissed Harry and Snape left her office and went to wait outside for Shacklebolt to escort them back to the atrium so that they could floo back to the school.

Whilst they were waiting for the auror harry asked Snape about the newspaper headlines.

“Right that,” he said. “It seems that my little argument with the famous author Lockhart made the front page.”

Harry started laughing.

“I am glad you think it is funny.”  Snape said, scowling.

“No its not that,” he said. “You just started your sentence with right, it’s catching.”

Just then the door opened and Shacklebolt left the room.

“Right, are you two ready?”

Harry snorted and went into a fit of giggles again.

“Something I said?” Shacklebolt asked.

They were waiting for the lift to take them back to the main hall when they were joined my none other than the Minister for Magic.

“Well, well twice in one day young Harry, I hope you are not too upset by what occurred this morning?” 

“No sir, not at all,” Harry replied.

“Good, all business concluded is it?” Fudge asked.

“All done for now Minister, just taking the Professor and Harry back to Hogwarts," Shacklebolt answered.

Just then the lift arrived and they stepped on.

“You taking this one Minister?” Shacklebolt asked.

“No, I need to see someone on this floor, I will see you again Harry no doubt?”

And the man walked off.

“Three guesses where he is going.” Snape mumbled to the auror.

When the lift stopped and they stepped off Harry bumped straight into Umbridge. Not realising at first who it was he began to apologize for nearly knocking her over. 

"Oh its you Mr. Potter, "I see your manners have not improved, but never mind once you are in your new home I am sure things will get better."

“I don’t know what you mean Madam Umbridge.” Harry said

“Haven’t you just been with Madam Talmage? I expect you will be leaving Hogwarts for your new home in the next few days?” Umbridge replied with a sneer.

 “I do not know where you are getting your information Madam undersecretary,” Snape cut in, “but Harry is staying at Hogwarts, with me. So if you do not mind we have had quite enough of our day interrupted, come Harry.” And he held his arm out to Harry to escort him away.

 The little witch turned on her heels and marched away pushing a few people out of her path as she went.

“I think my investigation will begin and end with her.” Shacklebolt said.“Well this is where I leave you," they had arrived at the fireplaces. "I am glad everything has worked out for you; I’ll be in touch about the trial. And enjoy the rest of your holiday.”

Snape held his hand out to the Auror, “Thank you for what you said in there I believe it helped.”

Shacklbolt took the proffered hand and shook it and then clapped Harry on the shoulder.

“Goodbye then Harry, see you soon.”

“Bye sir and thanks.” Harry replied.

“Come on son” Snape said, “Lets go home.”

‘That’s twice,’ Harry thought as they stepped into the flames; ‘he's called me son twice today.’

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Madam Umbridge marched into the Ministers office and sat down on the chair opposite his desk.

“Well that did not work, I think it is about time we had a change of leadership in the child welfare office Cornelius,” she said.

“Now, now Dolores just because things don’t always go the way you want first time. There is more than one way to skin a Kneazle after all.”

“What now Cornelius?  Dumbledore has stumped you again, I swear to you that man is after your job, oh I know he says he never wanted to be Minister, but I know he can not be trusted and now he has complete control over the Boy Who Lived.”

Umbridge gave Fudge a sideways glance knowing that as soon as she mentioned his position as Minister he would panic.

And true to form Fudge started pacing the office.

“I need to put someone in Hogwarts myself.” Fudge said, “I need to keep an eye on what that man is up to.”

"What an excellent idea Minister." Umbridge simpered, "I will make up a list of people I think we can trust to go and…”

“No Dolores, there is only one person I could possibly trust enough for this task.”

“Who Minister?” She asked not wanting to hear the reply.

“Why you of course Dolores, I think I see a nice teaching post in your future.”

To be continued...
Chapter 11 by reddragon7

Dumbledore was sat at his desk trying to get through some of the mountain of paperwork that seemed to appear daily. His mind though was not on it. For all his insistence that everything was fine and the Ministry could not interfere, hewas worried, knew even he was not infallible. He had already messed up Harry’s life once he was going to make damn sure he didn’t do it a second time. Absentmindedly he placed a sherbet lemon in his mouth and began to slowly suck on it. He knew people were forever commenting about his “sweet tooth,” but the sweets actually helped him concentrate, well that was his excuse and he was sticking to it.

An idea came to him just as the flames in the fire flared green and out stepped Snape and Harry.

“Ah boy’s you are back," he said standing up a relived smile on his face.

“All went well I presume?”

“As well as could be expected when dealing with the Ministry." Snape replied, sitting in the chair opposite Dumbledore preparing to fill him in on what had happened.

“I get to stay with the Professor.” Harry said a big smile on his face.

“I don’t want to be the one to tell you I told you so but, I told you so,” Dumbledore laughed, his blue eyes twinkling merrily, relief washing over him in waves.

“So what do you intend to do with the rest of your day?” Dumbledore asked sitting back in his chair picking up his box of sherbet lemons and holding them out to Harry and Snape.

“Well,” Snape said waving away the box, “Harry has homework to do and I have next terms lesson plan to work on and of course all my marking to do so, I thought that we would spend the rest of the day in the dungeons so I can make a start and then Harry can have an early night,” looking at Dumbledore, a glint in his dark eyes.

Harry sat in his chair looking down at his feet,

“Great the rest of this holiday is going to stink,” grumbled Harry slouching down in the chair.

“Yes very good idea.” Dumbledore said nodding at Snape blue eyes twinkling a small smile playing on his lips.

“It’s a good to get all your work done in advance then you will be ready to start the new term fresh.”

Dumbledore was playing along with Snape he knew the potions professor had all his work completed and the lesson plan had been submitted the first week of the summer holidays.

“But then again I suppose we could always say that as most of today has been wasted by our trip to the Ministry and any work that is started is unlikely to be completed satisfactorily we could always take a visit to the Burrow.”

 

Harry’s head snapped up.

“Are you serious sir?” He asked a big grin forming on his face.

“I really would like to see Ron and tell him all about what’s been happening and about the wolf… Oh I forgot about the wolf I hope he is ok, Professor McGonagall hasn’t come back with him so maybe she can’t find him. Oh, Oh, Oh Ron can tell me why he wasn’t allowed to come back here yesterday, do you know why Professor Dumbledore? Severus won’t tell me, I really hope the cub is ok and that woman hasn’t hurt him. What if he is lying hurt somewhere? I would really like to see Ron’s house though.”

Dumbledore and Snape looked at Harry incredulously as he skipped from one subject to another.

“Harry will you please calm down and take a breath.” Snape said the corner of his mouth pulled up in a small smile at the boys excitement.

Dumbledore was enjoying himself immensely.

“How about you go to the Burrow and when Minerva returns I will inform you immediately,” he said, “and whilst your there maybe you can come up with a name for the animal after all you can’t keep calling your pet wolf or cub now can you?”

Snape grumbled something incoherent under his breath. 

“I’ll just make a quick fire call to see if it is convenient to go through now and then we will leave you in peace headmaster,” Snape said striding over to the fire and taking a handful of floo powder.

Whilst Snape was talking to someone in the fire Harry asked Dumbledore rather shyly.

“Sir, whilst we at the Ministry the security guard was reading the paper and my name was across the front page, but I could not make out what it was about, do you know?”

“I think it is to do with the fact that Severus is now your guardian, unfortunately Harry the newspapers seem to think that they have the right to report on anything and everything that is to do with you, that is why I felt it was better to keep you away from the magic community until you were ready to handle it.”

Dumbledore’s eyes lost a little of their sparkle.

“I do understand sir Severus explained things to me last night.” Harry replied.

At that moment Snape came away from the fire.

“All sorted they are waiting for us so when you are ready Harry we will floo to the Burrow”

“Off you two go then and enjoy the rest of your day. And as soon as I have any news about your cub I will let you know” Dumbledore said getting up from his seat and walking to the fire his hand on Harry’s shoulder

“Thank you sir.” Harry said to the headmaster as Snape took some of the floo powder.

Dumbledore gave Harry’s shoulder a gentle squeeze, his blue eyes still a little sad. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry and Snape stepped out if the fire at the Burrow to find only Molly and Arthur Weasley in the house.

“Harry lovey, how are you?” Molly said getting up from the table and enveloping him in a tight hug.

“Let the boy breathe Molly, goodness woman anyone would think you hadn’t seen him for a month. It was only yesterday you saw him last you know, “Arthur said laughing.

But Molly didn’t release him and Harry really didn’t mind, he had not got many hugs in his life and this felt wonderful. And if Ron’s mum wanted to hug him all day then that was fine by him.

“Where is everyone?” Snape asked, “It is very quiet.”

Molly finally released Harry and went to sit back down.

“Ron is outside working in the garden, finishing off his punishment and the twins and Ginny have walked to the village.” Molly answered, automatically pouring a cup of tea for Snape and handing it to him and pushing a plate of home made biscuits in front of him.

“Help yourself,” she said.

“Do you mind if I go and find Ron?” Harry asked really eager now to discover what he had done to warrant his punishment.

“Of course Harry, he should be cleaning out the chicken coop.” Arthur replied wrinkling his nose at the thought.

“Just go through the gate and turn left you can’t miss it.”

“Thanks, see you in a bit.” Harry said rushing to the door.

When he had left Molly turned to Snape and asked,

“So what happened today I heard you got called to the Ministry?”

Snape filled the two Weasleys in on the happenings of the past twenty-four hours including Harry’s new pet.

“I must say Severus Arthur said laughing, “I would pay anything to see that woman being chased by a wolf, but seriously watch your back she is up to something and unfortunately she has the Minister right where she wants him. I would not put it past her to have been in touch with that muggle relative of the Dursleys herself.”

“I had thought that.” Snape said, “but I cannot understand why they would want to place Harry in danger again.”

“Well hopefully Kingsley will be able to find something out before they try anything else.” Arthur replied, helping himself to another biscuit.

“Has Harry said anything about what happened to him?” Molly asked pouring another cup of tea.

“Nothing at all he says he cannot recall much of what happened. I think he is just suppressing things. So I was thinking about taking him to my cottage in Wales for a week or so, maybe a change of scene and some sea air will do him good.” Snape answered. “And I was thinking maybe Ronald would like to come along for company, if his punishment is served of course.” he added.

“I think that is a marvelous idea Severus,” Arthur said, “it will do you the world of good to get away for a while, what the trial coming up Harry will need to build his strength to face those monsters again.”

“When will you go? Molly asked.

“Tomorrow, the place is always ready, my aunt had two very competent house elves, whom I inherited with the property, they keep the place ready for any time I should want to use it so I do not see any reason to delay.”

“Have you said anything to Harry about it?” Molly asked.

“No I thought I would check with you first about Ronald before saying anything to Harry, I did not want to disappoint him.”

Molly smiled at Snape.

“Good idea, Ron is lucky he only had a grounding and has to clean the chickens after what he did, I have never been so embarrassed in all my days and I am the mother of Fred and George.” 

“You have got to admit though Molly it was bloody funny the look on that man’s face was priceless.” Arthur chuckled looking at his wife.

“So what exactly did young Mr. Weasley do?” Snape asked intrigued.   

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry had found Ron, not in the chicken coop like he was supposed to be but sitting by the small pond in the garden.

“Hi mate,” Harry said as he sat down beside him, “I thought you were supposed to cleaning out the chickens.”

“Done it,” Ron muttered, “dirty smelly things I ruddy hate them look at my hands that evil cockerel has it in for me every time I go near him he bloody pecks me.”

“What did you do yesterday? I thought you were coming back to the castle and then Severus told me you were grounded, I’ve got loads to tell you as well but you can start what did you do?”

“Slow down mate,” Ron laughed I’ll tell you but promise me you won’t have a go or lose your rag.” 

“OK” replied Harry slowly.

 “Well after Snape dragged you out of the bookshop Lockhart started making insin, insin, umm can’t remember the word my dad used now but he started saying nasty things about you and Snape, so I punched him in the face.” Ron’s face was the same colour as his hair.

“You what?” gasped Harry.

“I didn’t like what he was saying so I punched him, I thought my mother was going to kill me on the spot she made me apologize to him and the storeowner.” Ron said a little sheepish now. 

“What was he saying that was so bad?” Harry asked trying his hardest not to laugh.  

“That Snape had an interior motive, I think that was the word he used, for becoming your guardian, why would a Death Eater want to take on the Boy Who Lived except to turn him to the dark?”

“Umm what is a Death Eater?” Harry asked.

“Oh hell mate, err a Death Eater is a follower of You Know Who.” Ron answered.

“And Snape is one?” Harry shouted, jumping up from the ground, “that’s what Umbridge nearly called him this morning before Dumbledore stopped him and it was in the paper as well.”

Harry started towards the house Ron running behind him.

“Calm down Harry.” He shouted as Harry stormed into the house.

“Is it true?” He yelled at Snape, stopping in front of where he was sitting.

“Harry what is the meaning of this? How dare you come in here like this where are your manners?” Snape snapped at Harry a little shocked.

“Is it true? Were you one of his followers?” Harry shouted again his temper nearly at boiling point. “Just when I thought things were going to be alright it comes and bites me on the bloody arse again. When were you going to tell me? Or weren’t you going to bloody bother?”

“Harry James Potter, sit down and listen, and if I hear you use language like that again I will use a soap charm on your mouth, am I understood?” 

Harry looked around shocked at the normally quiet and amiable Arthur Weasley.

“OOH looks like we have arrived home just in time” George, Fred and Ginny were standing by the garden door, what have we missed?”

“Nothing that concerns you.” Molly snapped. “Go outside the three of you I will call you when you can come in.”

“Not fair,” Fred grumbled, “why do we get to miss out on the fun?”

“I’ll show not fair in a minute you will feel my spoon against your behinds if you do not remove yourselves this instant.” Molly said rising from her chair.

The three red heads left in a hurry, they had all been on the receiving end of Molly’s wooden spoon.

Harry had sat in a chair as far away from Snape as he could. He would not look him in the eye.

“Harry please listen, remember I told you I made a grave error and your mother got me out of it well that was it, my mistake. The Dark Lord recruited me when I was young. He promised me things that I will not go into now, he wanted a potions expert and I was made to feel important. Things had gone wrong with your mother and I joined him. It did not take me long to realize that I had made the biggest mistake of my life. Your mother came back into my life and made me go to Dumbledore. I became a spy Harry.

So yes a lot of people believed I was a Death Eater but that was to my benefit I did my job well. Then when he vanished after what happened in Godrics Hollow eleven years ago, I knew at some point he would return, so I kept up my spy persona, the more people who believed I was dark the better. But then you needed me and everything that had gone before faded into insignificance you are more important than keeping up any pretence.

As to telling you, I had every intention of disclosing everything to you when the time was right, you have to admit Harry the last week or so has been rather intense what with everything that has occurred and with the trial that is coming up. Maybe I was wrong and I should have told you in the beginning but I did not and yet again I have made a mistake and I apologise to you.”

Total silence fell on the room when Snape finished talking.

Harry didn’t know what to do or think every time he felt that things were sorted out something else came along to knock him back again. He knew that Snape was being truthful he could feel that the in fact that the man had told him all this in front of the Weasley’s. He looked across at Ron who gave a small shrug. 

“I need to clear my head.” Harry said and went outside. 

Snape went to follow him but Arthur stopped him.

“Leave him a minute or two he needs to absorb this latest information he’ll come around.”

“I really do not know if I am quite up to parenting Snape said, “all I have done the last twenty four hours is make mistakes” 

Molly laughed “I have been a mother for a long time now and I still make mistakes and will probably go on making them long after all the children have left home. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to parenting. You will be fine Severus it is still early days yet and you are both getting to know each other.”         

They were interrupted by one of the twins coming in to the kitchen. He had tied a white rag to a stick and was waving it furiously in front of him as he came in. 

“Please, I come in peace, lower your weapons.”

The people in the house all laughed at the antics of the boy, the tension lifting a little.

“Just thought you might want to know that Harry has gone for a walk by himself,

But don’t worry,” he continued as Snape jumped out of his chair and made to rush out of the house, “Fred is following behind so he won’t get lost.” 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry hadn’t gone that far when he came to a fallen tree by the side of the road.

Not really wanting to get into the same situation he found himself in yesterday by running off, he sat himself down and began to think.

He was so deep in his thoughts he did not hear when Fred came up to him.

“Harry mate are you ok?” He asked sitting down next to him on the tree.

Jumping slightly Harry looked up to see who had joined him.

“Sorry didn’t hear you coming.” Harry said.

“That is obvious,” Fred replied laughing a little, “not being funny Harry but don’t you think you are being a little stupid? I mean you don’t know the area and you have just walked away from the Burrow, you could have got lost or something.”

Harry shrugged his shoulders, “Umm don’t think I’m being rude or anything, but are you Fred or George?”

“Fred,” the twin answered with a smile, “and don’t worry hardly anyone can tell us apart.” 

Harry lapsed back into silence his thoughts still running a mile a minute.

“Harry you can talk to me you know if you want you I won’t say anything to any one if you don’t want me to or if you want me to act as a go between that’s fine by me.”

“I don’t know Fred I just feel so bloody confused, one minute everything is all right and the next.” He shrugged again unable to get across exactly how he was feeling.

“Is this to do with what that idiot Lockhart was saying yesterday about you and Professor Snape?”

Harry nodded.

“Look, tell me to butt out if you want to, but I think you are on to a good thing with Snape. I know he is a grumpy git at the best of times and he has taken more points from Gryffindor house than any of the other professors put together, but I can see that he his a good man really and there are things about him you don’t know and I have given my word that I would not tell any one, so you have to trust me on that one.

My father says, and I quote, ‘Lockhart is nothing more than a pompous bigheaded peacock that likes the sound of his own voice. So don’t take to much notice of what he has to say. You have to give this thing with the Professor a chance and stop running off every time things don’t go smoothly. If George and I did that we would never be home.”

“He was a Death Eater, one of Voldemorts followers.” Harry said quietly.

“I know," Fred replied, “I also know that he realized he made a big mistake and became spy for the light.”

“How do you know?” Harry asked.

“I listen at doors how do you think I find things out? I’m an exceptionally nosy person.”

Harry laughed a little at this.

“He should have told me and not let me find out like this.” Harry’s voice was a little tearful even though he was trying not to let his emotions show.

“Yeah and I should be a beater for the Holyhead Harpies, but that’s the way things are. Tell me Harry do you think that Snape would be teaching at Hogwarts if he were still a Death Eater. Or even better sitting at the kitchen table at the Burrow drinking tea and eating biscuits with my mother?” Fred asked. 

“I suppose when you put it like that,” Harry laughed. 

“Right talking about tea and biscuits, how about we go back to the house and see if they have left us any?”

Harry nodded standing up, “So how good was this punch that Ron landed on Lockhart?” 

“Oh boy Harry you should have seen it, I have never been more proud of my little brother, but of course if you tell him I said that I will of course have to deny it and prank you every day from now till Christmas. I think he actually knocked a couple of teeth out and I swear he broke his nose, though George thinks it was always that shape. But anyhow the place was in uproar and mum was like a banshee.”

Fred rested his arm on Harry’s shoulder as they walked slowly back to the Burrow the twin filling Harry in on all the details that Ron had omitted to tell, and before he knew it he was back at the crooked house. 

Snape had been pacing the floor it had taken the combined efforts of Molly and Arthur to stop him tearing after Harry.

“Leave him to Fred he will bring him back” Arthur had said.

“Severus for the love of Merlin and my sanity, sit down and stop looking so worried everything will be fine.” Molly said pushing the agitated man towards one of the kitchen chairs.

Ginny’s head popped in through the door.

“They are just coming through the gate,” she said.

He sat down but began drumming his fingers on the table.

Molly gave him a dark look.

He stopped.

Harry and Fred walked in to the kitchen Fred with a big smile on his face, Harry with his shoulders slumped and his head down. He was unsure what his reception was going to be.

“Harry are you ok?” Snape asked seeing the boys’ demeanour.

“Are you mad at me?” Harry asked.

“Why would I be mad at you?” Snape replied.

“I sort of run off again.” Harry replied quietly.

“No I am not angry with you, I was worried that you had got yourself lost as you were in a strange place.”

“Sorry, I didn’t think I just needed time to think Harry said apologetically. “Besides Fred caught up with me and we had a talk he made me see things a little clearer.”

“Did he indeed and have you come to a decision?” Snape asked. “Do we need to pack up your belongings?”

“I told you I want to stay with you. Ok I was mad that you hadn’t told me about Voldemort, he ignored the sharp intake of breath from the others in the room, “I guess you would have told me at some point, and I am sorry for speaking to you the way I did and if you want to punish me that is fine.”

“Harry I am not going to punish you this time, you had received quite a shock. But I will not tolerate being spoken to that way any other time, especially in front of others.” Snape knew he had to be firm.

There came a bumping noise from the stairs as Ron appeared dragging his school trunk behind him.

“Well I’m all packed and ready to go,” he said a big grin on his face when he saw Harry standing in the kitchen.

“Where are you going?” Harry asked.

“Haven’t they told you yet?” Ron answered, “We’re going to the seaside.”

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2920