Second Chances by fawkes21
Summary: After Severus dies in the final battle, what really happens? Fates collide as they decide to send Severus back for a second chance at fulfilling his promise to Lily
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Lily, Luna, Pomfrey, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 3536 Read: 17581 Published: 21 Mar 2013 Updated: 22 Apr 2013
Chapter 2 by fawkes21
Author's Notes:
Bit of an emotional chapter here, coming up is the retrieval of Harry from Godrics Hollow

"Severus...Severus! Wake up!"

A voice calls to me from the distance. I roll over, opening my eyes as I desperately try to remember what had happened.

In front of me, Minerva Mcgonagall stood, tears making rivers down her face.

"He killed them...Severus He killed them, and now Albus wants to leave Harry with Petunia"

My face drops. Suddenly, I knew the reason as to why I was here, what I had to do to redeem myself, and make it up to Lily.

"He can't leave the boy with Petunia, she hates all things magical- he would be better off with the Malfoys than with her!" I spat, as I hoisted myself up off the ground and back to my feet.

"I've been watching them all day, and I agree with you Severus, they're the worst sort of muggles, but what can we do?" cried Mcgonagall, her desperation evident in her voice. 

"We must take him, and we must raise him ourselves, there is no other choice"

With one final glance to the picture of Lily and I on my desk, I fled from the room, jet black robes billowing behind me, heading full speed for Godrics Hollow.

-----------page break-------------------------

 

I know they say you cannot change your past, but as I looked on at the Potter household in dismay, I sorely wished I could.

I wished I had never called her a mudblood, never been enthralled by Lucius, never taken the dark mark, never told Him the prophecy.....

Where once was an immaculate garden, filled with different plants of all natures, now was a blackend mess. The walls had collapsed, rubble and debrie covering the pathway. The gate hung by a single hinge, as smoke danced up from the wreckage.

A child's cry rang out in the silence of the night, screaming for his mummy that was never coming back.

A numbness encased me, as my body forced it's way into the house, a single gasp escaping my lips at the sight of James Potter's lifeless body.

Turning the corner at the top of the stairs, I suddenly find myself in the nursey- face to face with her.

I fall to my knees and wept, tears streaming in rivulets down my face. I never stopped loving her, and here she was- dead because of me.

I regained my senses long enough to realise the boy was still there. I crossed over the room to the small cot, gingerly lifting to boy out. The mere sight of me seemed to calm him.

Collecting the few belongings that remained undamaged, I left the room, making one final promise as I did so.

"I know I messed up last time Lily, but I swear- I will keep the boy safe. I will keep Harry safe"

So it was within a haze of tears that I apparated away, leaving behind the woman I had always loved and the man I used to hate. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Read and review! thank you for all of your reviews and favorites so far, it means a lot! :D


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2922