Earthshattering by harrysnapefan
Summary: Response to Natural Disaster at Hogwarts challenge. Hogwarts has always been considered the safest place in the magical world, protected from any possible danger. But what happens something no one could've imagined occurs? Something literally Earth Shattering? Will the school, and more important its occupants ever recover? And how will it affect the relationship between Harry and Snape?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville, Other, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Physical Impairment
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Character Death
Prompts: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Challenges: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 13274 Read: 71431 Published: 17 Apr 2013 Updated: 31 May 2013
Chapter 3 by harrysnapefan

 

Severus began to wake and tried to move around.  For some reason he couldn't understand though, his back and legs wouldn't cooperate.  It felt like some kind of boulder was sitting on top of him.

Severus opened his eyes fully and saw that he was on the floor of this supply room.  Then it all came back to him.  The earthquake and the shelf falling on top of him.  He looked around to see that the other shelves had fallen as well, but thankfully, they'd fallen in opposite directions.

Severus tried to slide himself out from underneath the shelf, but it was no use.  He was stuck.

Severus soon heard footsteps coming his way, followed by Filch's voice.  "Anyone here?"

"In here!" Severus called.

It took a few moments, but Filch finally made his way into the room.  "You okay, Professor?"

"Get this bloody thing off of me!" Severus ordered. 

Filch immediately went over and lifted the shelf up just enough for Severus to slide through.  Once he was out, Filch let go again.

Severus slowly made it to his feet.  His legs ached and appeared to be very bruised, but thankfully they weren't broken.  "How bad is it out there?"

"Bad.  The place is destroyed," Filch told him. 

Rather than question the grounds keeper further, Severus decided to venture out and see for himself.  He stopped dead in his tracks as soon as he stepped out the door.  There was destruction everywhere.  You couldn't see a single piece of the floor it was so bad.  There was a gaping hole in the wall into the next room, which happened to be his office.

"Told you it was bad," Filch said.

"Is the rest of the castle this bad?" Severus asked.

"Couldn't tell you?  This is the only floor I can access," Filch said.

"What?" Severus asked in confusion. 

"The Grand Staircase is no more," Filch explained.

Severus gaped in shock.  The idea of something so powerful it was able to get out the entire Grand Staircase was unbelievable to him.  Then again, he never imagined anything capable of causing the damage he was looking at right now.  "Have my Slytherins been evacuated."

Severus wasted no time in headed to the Slytherin Common Room.  Well, to where he estimated the Common Room was.  It was a bit hard to tell at the moment.  There was no way to differentiate one room from another, as they were all filled with the Earthquake's handiwork.  And that was rooms that still appeared to have doorways.  Some of them were completely knocked out, making it all look like one big room.

Severus waded his way through the piles of wood, glass, and metal.  It was endless.  "If anyone can hear me, speak!"

"Professor," came a weak voice that Severus recognized but couldn't place.

Severus headed towards the voice.  "Keep talking."

"It's Theodore Nott," the voice said while walking towards him.

Severus kept walking until he noticed the dark haired fifteen-year-old, along with several other Slytherin students.  "Is everyone alright?"

"Yeah, we are, but there are others still trapped.  We couldn't get them all.  We heard the ceiling creek up above us.  We thought it might cave in on us," Nott said.

"How many are left?" Severus asked.

"I don't know.  A few at least," Nott said.

"Draco's still inside.  We couldn't find him," Pansy said distressed.

"Alright, head towards the Great Hall, or wherever you think the Great Hall might be," Severus said before walking past them.  He had to find the Common Room.  He had to at least attempt to save the remainder of his students. 

A few moments later, two First Years were heading towards him crying.  "Are you two alright?"

They both nodded, but they kept whimpering. 

"Where did the two of you come from?  Where's the Common Room?" Severus asked.

"A few feet that way," one of them stated pointing left.

"Alright, go straight ahead.  You should come to your housemates soon enough," Severus said before heading left.  He soon heard the creaking sound.  Nott was right, it was going to cave in soon. 

Severus swiftly began sifting through the wreckage.  "Is anyone here?"

There was a groan from a few inches away.

Severus would know that groan anywhere.  It was his godson, Draco.  He immediately headed towards him.  "Draco!"

"Uncle Sev?" Draco called quietly. 

Severus started unburying a new area until a head of blond hair was visible.  He moved a few more pieces of debris before pulling Draco out by the collar of his shirt.  "Are you alright?"

"I think so," Draco said as he began to try to stand up.  His knees immediately buckled and he cried out in a pain.  "No, my ankle hurts."

Severus immediately steadied him.  "You have to walk, Draco."

"I...I can't," Draco cried.

Severus listened as the creaking of the ceiling got worse.  He knew they didn't have much time left.  "You have to," he said as he began to half lead, half drag his godson away from danger.  They had just gotten out of danger when they heard the ceiling give underway. 

Severus turned and gulped.  He prayed to Merlin that no one was left in that area.  Because if there was anyone, there was no way they had survived. 

 

 ___________

 

Dumbledore, Minerva, and Filch were by the entrance ushering students out of the building.  "All the way out, towards the lake," Minerva told them.  Once the last of them were out, she turned to Dumbledore.  "How many more do you think there are?"

"Too many," Dumbledore said grimly. 

Just then Severus came towards them with Draco.

"Ah, Severus, good?  Are you alright?  How is Mr. Malfoy?"

"Possible broken ankle.  Has Poppy been found?" Severus asked.

Dumbledore shook his head.  "We're vacating the Common Rooms, since that's where most of the students will be, and then we'll take it floor by floor.  Right now, the only ones safe besides your students and us are the Weasly twins, Madam Hooch, and Hagrid.  Mr. Filch, help Young Mr. Malfoy out towards the lake."

Filch immediately pulled Draco's arm around his shoulders so he was supporting his weight and starting pulling him out of the castle. 

Once they were gone, Severus turned to Dumbledore.  "Headmaster, the castle's not safe anymore.  The ceiling caved in just as I got Draco out of the Common Room.  What was left of it anyway."

Dumbledore sighed.  "We won't be able to get everyone out alone.  Minerva, head to Hogsmeade and then apparate to Headquarters.  Have the Order come to help.  Also have someone inform the Ministry.  We need all the help we can get.  Hurry."

Minerva nodded and left the castle. 

Moments later, Madame Hooch flew down to them on her broom.  "Headmaster, we have a problem."

"Just one?" Severus asked sarcastically.

"The entrance to the Gryffindor Common Room is completely sealed off.  Where the portrait hole was, all there is is debris," Madam Hooch said.

Severus swore under his breath.  That meant the Gryffindors were trapped.  "Headmaster, if Gryffindor Tower is as unstable as the dungeons..."

"We have to get inside.  There must be a way," Dumbledore said.  He was unwilling to leave any of his students to fend for themselves.  They had to find a way to get them out.

Severus pondered for a moment.  "Perhaps a window."  They wouldn't be able to get the students out through the window, but maybe one of them could get in to at least assess the injuries to the students.

"Call for a broom and try.  If you can get in, do it.  If anyone's severely injured, you'll be the best one of us equipped to help them," Dumbledore told him.

Severus nodded and left.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2932