Earthshattering by harrysnapefan
Summary: Response to Natural Disaster at Hogwarts challenge. Hogwarts has always been considered the safest place in the magical world, protected from any possible danger. But what happens something no one could've imagined occurs? Something literally Earth Shattering? Will the school, and more important its occupants ever recover? And how will it affect the relationship between Harry and Snape?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville, Other, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Physical Impairment
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Character Death
Prompts: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Challenges: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 13274 Read: 71429 Published: 17 Apr 2013 Updated: 31 May 2013
Chapter 4 by harrysnapefan

Molly Weasley was in the kitchen of Headquarters cleaning up from dinner when Minerva apparated in.  Molly smiled at her.  "Minerva, how good to see you!  What brings you by at this hour though?"

"Who is here?" Minerva asked urgently. 

"Just me, Remus, and Sirius.  The others are all either working or other assignments for the Order.  Why?  What's wrong?" Molly asked.  She knew something was.  The look on Minerva's face screamed it.  Also she looked disheveled and was covered in dirt.

"Something's wrong?" Remus asked as he and Sirius entered the room.

"Is it Harry?  Is he alright?" Sirius asked in concern.

"I honestly do not know, Sirius.  Something has happened.  Hogwarts has come down," Minerva said gravely.  It was a literal fact.  There was barely anything left of what their school once was.

"What?" Remus asked in shock.

"What do you mean it has come down?" Molly asked equally stunned.

"Hogwarts has more wards on it than every other place in the Wizarding World combined.  How can it as you say ‘come down'?" Sirius asked.

Minerva shook her head sadly.  "No one anticipated this kind of thing happening.  It wasn't You Know Who or an attack at all.  It was the work of Mother Nature.  It was an earthquake and a powerful one at that.  It brought down Hogwarts and left quite a bit of damage to Hogsmeade as well."

"An earthquake?" Remus asked in disbelief.   With all the darkness around right now, it was hard to believe that after surviving for so long, something like an earthquake could bring Hogwarts to its knees so easily. 

"The children.  My children, how are they?" Molly asked in concern.  All she could think about was her precious children being crushed to death by this horrible, uncontrollable disaster. 

"The twins have been found.  Fred has a broken leg and George a bit of a concussion we think, but they'll both be fine.  Unfortunately, we haven't found any of your other children."

"What about Harry?" Sirius asked.

Minerva shook her head sadly.  "The only others we've evacuated so far are the Slytherins and that's because Severus rescued them himself."

"What can we do?" Remus asked anxious to help.

"We need bodies.  We need as many people as we can helping to rescue the students and staff.  Unfortunately the danger is not over.  The castle is still very unstable.  The ceiling caved in a bit in the dungeons right after Severus got his students to safety."

"Oh, Merlin!  I must let Arthur know.  I need to owl him," Molly said. 

"No, go in person and inform the first ministry worker you see there as well.  We need as much help as we can get.  Remus, if you would, come with me back to the castle?"

"Of course," Remus said immediately.

"I'm coming too," Sirius said.

"No!" they all exclaimed at once.

"Are you insane?  You'll be caught before you even make it inside the building?" Remus said.

"Then I'll wear a glamour.  I'm going to help Harry!" Sirius practically yelled.

"By what getting yourself caught and Kissed?  How exactly will that help Harry?  He'll still be in a possibly life threatening situation and you'll be as good as dead!" Remus yelled back.

"What do you want me to do?  Sit here and do nothing?" Sirius asked angrily.

"That's exactly what you'll do!  Because anything else will have Harry without his godfather whenever he's found," Remus said as he began to take his wand from his back pocket.  He had a feeling he was going to have to take drastic measures to ensure Sirius' compliance. 

"The hell with that!  I'm going to save my godson!" Sirius yelled.

"No, you're not," Remus said before raising his wand and putting his friend in a body bind, causing him to go rigid and fall to the ground with a thud.  "Let's go."

Minerva nodded and they all apparated out separately.

 

___________

 

Ron, Hermione, Seamus, and Dean continued to search for their housemates.  They'd found a few, three first years and a couple of second years.  They were all fine aside from some minor injuries.  But most of their house was still missing, including Harry. 

"Bloody hell, where's a wand when you need one!  We could find everyone with the ‘Point Me' spell and we could've blasted the bloody door open by now," Ron said.

"Even if we had a wand, blasting the door wouldn't be a good idea.  We have no idea who might be injured on the other side of that door.  Also particles would fly all over the place, possibly hitting all of us," Hermione explained.

"Well, we can't stay in here the rest of our lives!" Ron yelled in frustration.

"Oi, guys, I think I found someone else!" Seamus called to them all 

They were all by his side within seconds helping him unbury the person.  After removing several pieces of debris, Ron saw that it was Ginny.  He immediately worked harder to get her out.  "Ginny!   Ginny, don't worry, you're almost free!"

"Ron," Ginny mumbled as she started to wake.  She kept her eyes closed though.

"Yeah, it's me.  You're going to be okay," Ron said as he got her out and pulled her closer to him.

"What happened?" Ginny asked.  The last thing she remembered was feeling the room shake like crazy and things start to break.  She'd just entered the Common Room when it happened.

"I'll explain later.  Are you okay?  Are you hurt anywhere?" Ron asked.

Ginny rubbed the side of her head.  "My head feels like it was kicked by a hippogriff."

"You probably have a concussion," Hermione said.

Ginny finally opened her eyes and saw the disaster around her.  "Bloody hell!  It looks a bomb went off in here or something."

"Yeah, it's bad, really bad.  We haven't even found everyone yet," Dean said.

"Fred and George!  Were there in here?" Ginny asked in a panic.  She hadn't seen them in there, but she'd just walked in when everything went to hell.

"I don't think so.  If they were, we haven't found them yet," Ron said. He was worried about his brothers too.  He wasn't sure what the better option was to hope for.  For them to be in there with them or in another part of the castle.

"What about Harry?  I saw him with you when I came in?  Is he okay?" Ginny asked.

"We haven't found him yet," Hermione said sadly.

Ginny had just begun to take in that frightening piece of information when they heard a noise outside.  "What was that?"

They all turned towards the window and waited anxiously to see if it happened again.  It did.  The noises increased until they saw Snape climb in through the broken window.

"Professor Snape," Hermione said as she went to help the man.

"Bloody hell, I never thought I'd be happy see Snape," Seamus said quietly to Dean.

"I heard that, Mr. Finnegan," Severus said as he made through the window.  "Twenty points from Gryffindor whenever this place becomes a school again.  Now is anyone hurt seriously? 

"Neville might be.  He hasn't woken up yet, but we think he might have hurt his back," Hermione said.

Severus scanned the room for the boy and found him just a few feet away.  He kicked a few pieces of debris away so he could walk better.  That's when he noticed it.  A very small piece of a shoe was visible, telling him that a person was buried there.

Severus immediately bent down and started pushing wooden planks and metal checks away.  "You lot, get over here and help."

Everyone, except for Ginny, who was still holding her head in pain, went to help. 

Hermione pulled several pieces  of debris off revealing a head of black hair and a lightning bolt scar.  "It's Harry, it's Harry!"

They all started unburying him faster and faster.  When they finally had him free, Severus took at the boy's frail state and uttered just two words.  "Bloody hell."

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2932