Earthshattering by harrysnapefan
Summary: Response to Natural Disaster at Hogwarts challenge. Hogwarts has always been considered the safest place in the magical world, protected from any possible danger. But what happens something no one could've imagined occurs? Something literally Earth Shattering? Will the school, and more important its occupants ever recover? And how will it affect the relationship between Harry and Snape?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville, Other, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Physical Impairment
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Character Death
Prompts: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Challenges: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 13274 Read: 71428 Published: 17 Apr 2013 Updated: 31 May 2013
Chapter 9 by harrysnapefan

Dumbledore, McGonagall, Remus, and Arthur were all carefully removing debris from what was left of the Gryffindor entrance when they heard a loud blast.  They were able to get out of the way just in time for debris to be thrown everywhere.  When they looked over again, there was a gaping hole where the pile of debris had been.

Seconds later, Severus came out carrying a very wounded Harry Potter.  Then Ron came with Ginny.  He was supporting her with his good arm.  Hermione came out next levitating Neville.  Many others came out afterwards. 

It was seconds after they got out that they heard a loud crash.  Dumbledore looked into the tower to see that it had caved in, probably from the effects of the blasting curse.  He looked up to see if the area above them was in danger of collapsing.  Thankfully, they appeared safe for now. 

Arthur immediately went to Ron and Ginny and took them into his arms.  "Are you too alright?"

"My head hurts," Ginny mumbled into her father's arms. 

Ron pulled out of his father's embrace.  "The professor thinks she might have a concussion."

"And you, son?  How are you?" Arthur asked.

"Just a broken wrist. I'm fine.  I'm more worried about Harry than anything else," Ron said.

Meanwhile, Severus placed Harry on the ground carefully.

Remus immediately went over to him and knelt down.  "Oh, Harry.  What's happened to you?"

"Albus, where's Poppy?  Have you located her yet?" Severus asked.

Dumbledore shook his head sadly.  "Not yet.  We had to prioritize.  The students had to come first."

"Then we need to get Potter and Longbottom to St. Mungos.  Potter won't survive much longer without a healer," Severus said. 

"Go down to the landing where the stairs once were and call for a broom.  There are aurors outside with portkeys directly to St. Mungos.  Minerva, you go as well with Mr. Longbottom, but come back immediately.  We need as much help as we can get," Dumbledore told her. 

"I'm going a well," Remus said.  He wanted to be there for Harry.

"Remus, I know you want to be there for Harry, but we need you here.  We already don't have enough bodies.  We can't lose anyone else.  Severus will stay with Harry," Dumbledore assured him.

Arthur came over with his children.  "I want Ron and Ginny to go as well to see a healer."

Dumbledore nodded and turned to the children.  All of you will go to be checked out.  From there, your parents will be notified.  Go on with Professor Snape and McGonagall."

"Miss Granger, my wand if you please.  He'd given her his wand to levitate Longbottom.  He hadn't relished the idea of handing his wand over to a Gryffindor, but he couldn't carry Potter out and levitate Longbottom.

Hermione immediately handed her professor his wand.

Severus picked Harry back up and headed towards the area where the stairway used to be.  The others followed him.

 

___________

 

Ron walked out of his hospital room and found Hermione sitting in one of the chairs outside of it.  "Hey," he said as he sat next to her.  "Any word on the others?"

"Seamus and Dean are waiting in the waiting room for their parents to show up.  Your mum is with Ginny.  She said she'd be by to check on you soon," Hermione said.

"What about Harry and Neville?" Ron asked.  It was Harry he was most concerned about.  His friend had been in very bad shape the last they saw him.  It wasn't clear if he was going to survive.

Hermione shook her head.  "Neville's grandmother showed up, so she's with him, and Professor Snape went with Harry.  But there's still no news on their conditions."

Ron was quiet for a few moments.  Then he asked, "What time is it?"

"Just after three in the morning,"  Hermione answered.

"Six hours?  It's only been six hours?" Ron asked.  It felt like it had been so much longer than that.  It felt like it had to be at least double that time.

"Apparently," Hermione said quietly.  She too had been surprised at how little time had actually passed.  If she hadn't known any better, she would've said that they had been trapped in that room for days. 

"Six hours.  In six hours, our entire world fell apart.  Six hours and half our housemates lost their lives," Ron said.  It was just starting to hit him.  People he knew, people he shared a dormitory with, were dead.  It hadn't sunk in before.  They had all been too busy trying to save their own lives and lives of the people who were still in danger to think about it.  Now they were out though.  Now it was real.

"Ron, don't," Hermione said.  She didn't want to think about that just yet.  It was too horrible.  She didn't want to think about all the people who died tonight.  She didn't want to think about Harry possibly dying or Neville maybe being paralyzed.  She just didn't want to think about any of it.

If Ron heard her, he didn't show it.  "And it's not even over yet.  There are still people trapped in that school.  Who knows how many of them will make it out of there alive."

"Ron, please..."

"And then there's Harry.  He could die too," Ron said sadly.

"Ron, stop!" Hermione yelled through tears before crossing the room.

Ron got up and followed her.  "I...I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to upset you.  It's just...  I can't believe this is actually happening.  I can't believe people we knew are gone because of some bloody earthquake."  It made him so angry that he would never see those people again.  It made him even angrier to know that he couldn't lash out at someone for it.  This hadn't happened because of something someone else did.  It was just some random, catastrophic event that couldn't be prevented.  There was no one to be mad at and that just made it worse. 

Hermione turned around and wrapped her arms around him crying.

Ron hugged her back.  He wanted to tell her it would be okay, but he couldn't.  He honestly wasn't sure it would ever be okay again. 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2932