Closets and Cupboards Don't Count by Stump_Pan
Summary: Harry Potter cleans house.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1207 Read: 6032 Published: 13 May 2013 Updated: 13 May 2013

1. Closets and Cupboards Don't Count by Stump_Pan

Closets and Cupboards Don't Count by Stump_Pan

Harry Potter's apartment was a mess. Empty takeaway containers, half finished bottles of butter-beer, sweets wrappers, and old newspapers were strewn over almost every flat surface. There was a substantial pile of dishes in the kitchen sink and along the counter. It was the first time that Harry had been allowed to keep house just as he wanted. If he didn't want to wash the windows once a week, he didn't have to. This would explain the dingy quality of light that was peaking through the flat's front windows. Also why he hadn't made his been since he last changed his sheets, he thought that was within the last month.

Surveying the mess now, he wondered how he managed to let things go so far. Never in his life had he been in a home so messy. Not when he lived Dursleys, why would it have? They treated Harry like a house elf. Harry couldn't remember a time in their care when he wasn't responsible for the house keeping.

~~~~~~~~

“BOY! THIS OVEN ISN'T GOING TO CLEAN IT'S SELF! WHERE ARE YOU?”

Harry shrunk in on himself and the sound of his aunt's screeching. He hoped by making himself smaller that he might avoid his aunt's rather, or least her notice.

“Sorry Aunt Petunia, I needed the loo.”

“Stupid boy. You couldn't have waited the few minutes it would take to clean the stove? You selfish child. Just like your mother, useless layabout. If you aren't done by the time I come home from the store, you won't see the outside of your cupboard for a week.”

Harry fought the tears coming to his eyes and bit his tongue. He didn't think he was worthless, and he really needed to go. He remembered what happened the last time he had an accident in his cupboard and the shame he felt after.

~~~~

When Harry was in his second year of primary school he left the Dursleys to live with Severus Snape, there received somewhat of a reprieve. For the first few years, Snape expected Harry to keep his own room clean and to do several small chores like setting the table, taking out the trash, or feeding the owl. These were all chores that took the same amount of effort as casting a spell.

~~~~~~~~

Snape looked up from the potion he was stirring at the sound of shattering glass.

“Foolish boy. What were you doing?” Taking in the broken vial and wasted ingredient, Snape turned to face Harry. “Go in to the closet at the end of the room and get the broom.”

Harry scurried to comply, but balked at the site of the dark, narrow doorway.

Snape growled as the child froze. “What is it Potter? Scared you'll be locked in there?”

Harry turned to respond, but all that came out was strangled mumbled.

Snape only had to see the fear in Harry's eyes to realize the effect his casual remark had on the boy.

~~~~~~~~

Harry stopped to think about just how much had changed over the years he lived with Snape even before going to Hogwarts. When he first arrived at Spinner's End he was scared child afraid this new home would be like the last. With a little time and patience Snape began to unearth the damages caused by the Durselys verbal abuse. Together they worked to overcome Harry's many emotional scars.

~~~~~~~~

Severus put aside his potions journal as the clocked chimed four o'clock, the deadline he'd set for Harry to have completed cleaning his room. Walking up the stairs of the small house he could hear the frantic footsteps as Harry rushed to complete his task.

Severus peaked into the bedroom and knocked on the door. Harry let out a surprised yelp and almost fell backward from shoving his blocks into his over stuffed wardrobe.

Severus raised an inquisitive eyebrow. “I think you'll find those don't belong there Mr. Potter.”

All Harry could say was, “Err...,” as he bit his lower lip.

Severus took in the mostly clean room. “And what would I find if I were to open any of your cabinets Potter, not to mention your wardrobe?”

Harry looked down at his beat-up trainers and mumbled something that sounded like “You said cupboards and closets don't count.”

~~~~~~~~

By the time Harry finished Hogwarts, he was more than used to cleaning as a punishment. He spent more hours than he'd like to count in the dungeons scrubbing cauldrons and washing vials in detention for his many misdeeds.

~~~~~~~~

Harry screwed up his face as he picked up the next cauldron.

“Perhaps, you'll think about this the next time you decide to play a game with your friends instead of doing your homework, Potter.”

Harry let out a small sigh. Severus only called him “Potter” when he was especially annoyed, with Harry and knew the boy could do better.

~~~~~~~~

Harry let out an exasperated sigh. He had family coming for the first time and he wasn't going to let them see the mess his place was in now. He knew Severus would hex him the second he saw the mess before setting Harry to scrubbing the floors on his hands-and-knees.

Harry pulled out his wand to try and clear away at least some of the worst of the rubbish, but only groaned as a butter-beer bottle tipped over dripping the remaining contents onto the coffee table. Not for the first time Harry wondered why they never thought to teach, some normal, useful household spells at Hogwarts. Really, how often was he going to need how to brew a boil cure... Wait, he'd used that one just last week, but that wasn't the point. Shaking his head Harry rolled up his sleeves and set to work. This was going to take some time.

Four hours later Harry looked about the room and was pleasantly impressed with his progress. The food containers and bottles were cleared away, the and papers organized. Harry was caught off guard as the security charms by the front door announced a visitor. He wasn't expecting anybody for a few hours.

Harry went to answer the door and fought back a groan as he saw it was Severus. There might have been progress, but this was still no way up to the older wizards standards.

“Err... Hi. I wasn't expecting you for a few hours yet.” Harry said stepping aside to let his guest past.

“I know.” Severus said taking in the state of disarray. “I can only imagine the horror if I left you to your own devices. What sort of travesties are you hiding in the cupboards?”

Harry looked down to hid a weak smile. “You always said cupboards and closets don't count.”

Severus only rolled his eyes. “If you with to have any chance to win Ms. Weasley's heart, you'll have to try harder, Harry. Now perhaps we should set to work.” Severus too rolled up his sleeves and set the dishes to wash themselves while he helped Harry with making the rest of the home presentable.

The End.
End Notes:
Inspired by some marathon house cleaning of the author. Also reports that Daniel Radcliffe's flat was a mess.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2950