Splinters of a Broken Mirror by Lillielle
Summary: I own nothing. AU to Shattered. Harry has Dissociative Identity Disorder. He's 8 years old when his aunt and uncle decide to abandon him. Lost and confused, he has nowhere to go...or does he?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Petunia, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity, Rape, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: No Word count: 22626 Read: 87490 Published: 25 May 2013 Updated: 11 Jun 2014
Chapter 15 by Lillielle

One hurdle down, a million to go, Severus thought wryly as he climbed the steps to the Headmaster's office, the guardianship papers clutched tightly in one hand. He'd taken the precaution of already filling them out, enlisting Poppy's help for the evidence of child abuse and neglect. The file was packed full of medical results, and one Harry James Potter's sprawling, childish signature. Poppy held a copy of all of these in her office, under magical lock and key. No one but her could access them, just in case.

But he's Dumbledore! one corner of his mind wailed. He firmly ignored it. Everyone had a dark side, a skeleton in the closet. Dumbledore would have to prove himself. Again.

Severus knocked on the door and heard a cheery "come in!" Stepping through, he was confronted by the sight of Dumbledore seated behind his overly large, cluttered desk, beaming at him around yet another lemon sherbert.

"Want one?" Albus asked a bit stickily, proffering the tin. Sneering, Severus shook his head. Damned things. Would the Headmaster ever lose his sweet tooth? Not likely.

Realising he was putting off the inevitable, Severus strode briskly to the visitor's chair and sat in it, his posture rigid.

"What brings you here tonight, Severus?" Albus asked, his eyes twinkling with curiousity as he leaned back a bit in his chair, folding his arms over his stomach.

"I am here to inform you of my desire to officially apply for the guardianship of Harry James Potter," Severus said in clipped, formal tones, and had the sneaking satisfaction of watching Albus's mouth drop open like he'd just been bludgeoned with a steam-roller.

"What?" Albus gasped, his lemon drop nearly falling into the messy beard that covered half his chest. "You-what?" Severus's smirk increased.

"On the basis of his previous guardians being unfit for taking care of a gnat, never mind a child," he clarified. "Extreme neglect and abuse, all documented by Poppy's scans," he waved the hand that held the guardianship papers elegantly.

"Let me see those!" Albus snatched the folder out of his hands and skimmed through it as fast as he could, reading the pertinent bits of info over the tops of his half-moon spectacles. "Oh my," he whispered, seeming to age twenty years before Snape's surprised eyes. "I have made a horrible mistake." He looked up and Snape noticed that his eyes, notably absent of their twinkle, were brimming over with tears.

"What do you mean?" Severus snapped, acutely aware of his wand pressing against his arm. If he had to go for it...

"Placing Harry with the Dursleys, of course, what did you think I meant?" Albus snapped back. "I knew that it would not be the most...caring of environments for him. Petunia can be quite...well, you know," he sighed. "But the blood wards were more important. He could be safe from Voldemort there. And if he was not as loved and spoilt as perhaps he should have been, well, trade-offs must be made. The good of all must be considered. But this?" Albus sadly shook his head. "I should have paid more attention to the boy and his upbringing. I gave them money for his upkeep every month, you know. Obviously, that will be ceased immediately. But..." Albus leaned forward, his eyes curiously penetrating, bringing Severus's Occlumency shields up to full strength.

"Yes?" Severus said stiffly.

"I am curious as to how you come to be the one applying for guardianship," Albus responded, allowing his bafflement to show. "Severus, you are a great man, with many strengths, but I know well your failings regarding children. Can you take care of this one? Particularly when he has been so badly damaged?"

"Of course I can!" Severus hissed, stung at his mentor's lack of trust in him. "He came to my doorstep, may I remind you. He chose me as guardian. I shall not argue with his choice."

"Nor was I, dear boy," Albus blinked. "I'm merely surprised, as you've never shown a liking for child-rearing before. Be that as it may..." He handed the guardianship papers back to Severus. "I shall support you in this against the Ministry. I'm sure some petty bureaucrat will assume you can't possibly be a fit guardian, with your past. I can smooth the way there. But the rest of it, Severus, well. The rest of it shall fall to you."

"Understood," Severus said shortly, standing up and taking the file with him. "I shall not fail you. Or the boy," he clarified, his tone turning steely.

"Thank you," Dumbledore whispered, looking again far too old. "Perhaps you can make up for my mistakes," he murmured, mostly to himself, but Severus's sharp ears managed to pick up the wistful tones.

"Good night, Headmaster," Severus said when it looked like Albus was lost again in his own memories. Albus nodded, giving a distracted wave, and Severus left, nearly running in his haste to get back to the Hospital Wing. That had gone much better than he expected. In a way, he was relieved.

...In another, he was more suspicious than ever.

In the tower guarded by a set of gargoyles, amidst more whirling gadgets and trinkets than one could count, the Headmaster of Hogwarts laid his head down on his desk and cried.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2953