Not A Potter by LadyFreak
Summary: Harry Potter was the younger brother to Henry Potter- the boy who lived. Neglected by his parents since he could remember, he still tries to make them proud. When the goblins perform their centennial vault inspection and students at Hogwarts are required to make an ancestry potion, what will be discovered?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Big Brother Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, James, Lily, Lucius, Narcissa, Other, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Kidnapped, Resorting, Runaway
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Character Bashing, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Prompts: Lost Brother
Challenges: Lost Brother
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 25376 Read: 94720 Published: 26 May 2013 Updated: 03 Jun 2013
Talking with Sna-Severus by LadyFreak

(4) Talking with Sna-Severus

Harry woke to the smell of chicken soup and fresh baked bread. He sat up slowly, knowing his movement would alert the nurse. 

Just as he thought, only moments later, the curtain was being pushed aside. “Hello, Harry,” she greeted him as she handed him a couple of potions vials. When he was admitted, she ran a scan and realized he was suffering from a bit of malnutrition and had taken it upon herself to get him nutritive potions and make sure he was eating. He drank down the potions without complaint, washing them down with water. 

“What time is it, Madam?”

“Just past noon. Are you still up for meeting with Severus today?”

Harry looked at his lap nervously. He really didn’t have a choice in the matter. It was either now or being cornered after class one day. He nodded stiffly, then jumped as he felt a soft pat on his shoulder. 

The nurse helped him sit up a bit more and put his tray of food on his lap. “Eat up, Harry. Severus will be here after lunch.”

()

Severus Snape had to fight his urge to run to the Hospital Wing once he was done with his lunch. He was glad that he had a free period that day, he didn’t know what he would have been like if he had to wait until after dinner. Or even worse- the next morning.

Just as he had that morning, Severus headed to the nurse’s office. She greeted him with a smile and led him to the outside of the curtain. 

After a quick, hushed conversation, he was allowed through the wards surrounding the bed. Madam Pomfrey headed back to her office, after assuring the boy that she would return if he needed her.

The two wizards were silent for a couple of minutes. While Harry studied his lap, Severus studied Harry.

The first impression that Severus got was that the boy was unhealthy. He was too thin, very pale, and had heavy bags under his eyes. He was nervously tugging at the sleeves of robe he wore.

“What did you have to say?” He heard a soft voice ask. 

Harry’s eyes were still on his lap, but his hands were now joined as well.

“I didn’t know. I know that’s no excuse for how I treated you, but I didn’t know. You weren’t given up, you were taken. You were only a few weeks old when our home was raided and you were kidnapped. I searched so long and so hard for you, but nothing worked. No spell, no potion.” He remembered how upset he had been when he realized his greatest talent couldn’t help his family. “We tried.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know. I was a spy for Dumbledore with a place in the ranks of the Dark Lord. My parents did not support either side of the war and remained in hiding throughout it. They even remained hiding for extra time which confused me. Until I saw our mother. She was glowing, nearly ready to give birth.” Severus smiled at the memory. “It was only a couple of weeks after they came out of hiding that you were born. Then a few weeks after that, you were taken. We don’t know why. James Potter told me they were taking you from a dark family, but I could see even he didn’t believe that.”

“So what now? Madam Bones said that your father wanted custody of me...”

Our father wants custody of you. Technically there is no court case since you were kidnapped, but since you have been gone so long, they will try to take your thoughts into consideration.”

“And if I wanted to remain a ward of the Ministry?”

Severus was shocked, but replied truthfully, “That is your own prerogative. You must understand that the Ministry will not keep custody of you if suitable family is found- including the Potters. As of right now the ministry is responsible for paying for your education and anything else you need. Whatever you decide, just know that we will be here for you if you want us.”

“Who is ‘we’?”

“Just me and Father. Mother passed not long after you were taken. You also have godpar-”

“Is it because of me?” he interrupted, green eyes finally looking up into black.

It took Severus a moment to realize what the boy was referring to. “No!” he replied, horrified. “It is because of James Potter and whoever else was a part of that night.” The boy nodded, but didn’t look convinced as his eyes returned to his lap. Severus continued, “As I was saying, your godparents are Abraxus and Ellandra Malfoy.” 

“Malfoy!?” the boy yelped.

“Yes, Malfoy,” the older wizard sighed. “They are not as bad as Lucius or Draco. Those two are their own breed.” Harry let out a snort of amusement and Severus let his lips twitch a bit. “Since the holidays are coming up soon, Father and I would like for you to join us. It is your decision, of course, but the offer is there.”

()

Harry had so many thoughts running through his mind, he didn’t know what to think on first. 

His godparents were the elder Malfoys? His mother was dead because he was kidnapped? 

He couldn’t answer Snape’s offer yet. He had to think some more. 

“You don’t have to decide now,” he heard Snape say, “but even Professor McGonagall will want to know if you will be staying in the castle over the holidays.” Harry nodded his understanding, but kept his eyes on his lap. “Alright, Harry. I’ll leave you be for now. If you want anything or have any questions, please come and find me.”

“Yes, Professor. Thank you.” 

When he heard the curtain move, he finally let his walls crumble a bit as tears fell from his eyes. 

So James Potter and others took me from my family because they thought them to be dark? By doing this they caused the death of my real mother. They took me away from a caring family and put me with people who didn’t want me. Away from a mother who actually would have loved me, a father who would have been proud, and a brother who... I don’t know. A brother who would want me around?

He was so lost in his thoughts that Harry didn’t realize Madam Pomfrey had returned until he was being laid back onto the bed. She wiped his tears gently from his face and whispered soothingly to him. “Come now Harry, calm down. Would you like to talk about it? To someone who is on the outside of this issue? I don’t know the full story, only bits and pieces from what I heard while ensuring Severus wasn’t his snarky self.”

Harry let out a snort of laughter before it turned into a sob. He spilled the story to the nurse. He told her how he felt living with the Potters, about the over heard conversation of Remus and his father, and about the Potion and how they tried to keep him from making it. 

“I’m so sorry you have been through all of this,” the nurse said when he finally finished. “Is that why you were in the Owlery a couple of days ago?”

Harry tensed, but nodded. “I just couldn’t... no one wanted me and I was tired of all the pain. It would have been easier for everyone if no one found me.”

“No, Harry. No. Miss Weasley was most distraught when I arrived to help. Severus doesn’t know what happened, but he has been here every day trying to see you. I’ve never seen that man’s emotions displayed so obviously. He wants to know his brother- he was concerned about you.”

Harry took in a deep breath and wiped the last of his tears. “I just don’t understand why. Why would someone take me away from a loving family and put me in the arms of one who wouldn’t care? One who didn’t want me?”

A hand gently carded through his hair, “I don’t know Harry. You will find out in time though.”

()

Harry tugged at his sleeve again as Madam Pomfrey ran a diagnostic scan over him. He was finally being released. She tsk’d at him, but let out a sigh. 

“You are free to go but you need to eat full meals. If you end up here again I may have to feed you nutrition potions while you are knocked out.”

Harry nodded and walked to the doors where Ginny was waiting. She looped her arm through his and began chatting, “Everyone thinks that James Potter cursed you since he is being investigated.”

The boy snorted, but said nothing else. That story was very close to the truth. Almost too close.

The two quietly made their way to the Great Hall. 

()

Soon as Harry entered, the room fell quiet. He knew there were multiple rumors floating around the school- a couple of which were way too close to the truth. He walked over to the Gryffindor table and sat, where he was immediately surrounded by a sea of red. The Weasley twins and Ginny surrounded him like a wall, glaring at anyone who dared look at their friend.

He couldn’t help but smile a little at the view of the famous Weasley twins being protective of him. 

Unfortunately he wasn’t completely protected. Pansy Parkinson’s nasally voice came from behind him. “So, Potter,” Harry flinched, “which of the rumors are true? Were you cursed by James Potter? Or are you Snape and Potter’s love child? Oh, I know you tried to off yourself, but couldn’t even do that right!” 

Harry stared at Ginny, eyes wide and frightened. His hands were shaking and his breathing became erratic. The glasses on the table all began to vibrate. 

Severus Snape stood slowly from his place at the staff table as the Gryffindor table began to vibrate. Students close to Harry began to shift away from him and his red headed friends as Ginny tried to calm him down. She could tell that if she touched him, his magic would burst. Apparently Parkinson wasn’t able to see this as well. 

“I’m talking to you Potter!” The Slytherin sneered and grabbed Harry by the shoulder. She had barely touched him when she went flying backwards, right onto the Ravenclaw table’s plates of desserts. 

Severus Snape ran down to the spot where the altercation had happened as the entire hall broke out in laughter.

“Explain!” He hissed darkly at the group. Harry just dropped his chin to his chest, unable to look at Snape. 

In a low voice, only for the Professor’s ears, Ginny told him what Parkinson had said. The potions master’s face became a blank mask and he stood slowly. He turned to his student. “Parkinson, detention for a month and 25 points from Slytherin.” The hall immediately silenced. Professor Snape gave one of his snakes detention AND took points from his own house? In public? “Next time I hear you do something like this, your punishment will be worse. Understand?”

Parkinson stood shakily from the Ravenclaw table, paling as the Professor finished speaking. She nodded her understanding, but the man was having none of it. 

“I asked you if you understood Ms. Parkinson,” he hissed.

“Y-yes P-prof-fessor.” She stammered out before running from the hall.

Severus leaned over Harry’s shoulder, “I do not know why you were in the hospital wing and it is your business, but if you want to talk, you know where I am. Do not let people talk to you like that.” He waited for Harry’s nod before adding, “Ten points to Gryffindor for good aim.” 

Snape stood straight and returned to his plate before Harry could say anything in return. He was in shock.  Snape protected him, supported him. Even gave him points? A small smirk made it’s way onto his face as he remembered the reason for the points... good aim. Harry snorted, which was the catalyst for the Great Hall to once again echo with laughter.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2954