Not A Potter by LadyFreak
Summary: Harry Potter was the younger brother to Henry Potter- the boy who lived. Neglected by his parents since he could remember, he still tries to make them proud. When the goblins perform their centennial vault inspection and students at Hogwarts are required to make an ancestry potion, what will be discovered?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Big Brother Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, James, Lily, Lucius, Narcissa, Other, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Kidnapped, Resorting, Runaway
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Character Bashing, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Prompts: Lost Brother
Challenges: Lost Brother
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 25376 Read: 94718 Published: 26 May 2013 Updated: 03 Jun 2013
Choices by LadyFreak

(5) Choices

It had been just a week since Harry’s release from the hospital wing, but it felt like so much longer. His brother- well, Henry Potter- was avoiding him and barely looked him in the face. He would catch Lily Potter looking at him with sad eyes. The first couple of times, he ignored her, but then she kept on. Like she had anything to be sad about! Now he simply glared at her until she averted her eyes.

It was now the day before the winter holidays and Harry had to make a decision on where he would be spending them. He definitely knew that he wasn’t going to the Potters. He announced that loudly in the common room while chatting with the Weasley twins. He figured Henry would bring the message back to their- no his parents.

So, Potter Manor was off of his list, but now he still had a decision to make: Hogwarts or with the Snapes?

The Weasleys were the only ones who really spoke to him anymore. After the confrontation with Parkinson people were either laughing at him because of what she said or skirting around him because of what he did. Unfortunately the Weasleys were all leaving the castle for the holiday.

Still, does he want to go to the Snapes? Should he give them a chance? Professor Snape is a right git most of the time, though not so much with Harry anymore, so how would his father be? 

But Harry did want a family...

()

Severus Snape watched his class pack up and set to cleaning the board and organizing the papers and potions on his desk. He wondered if his brother would want to come with him for Christmas. It was never a very... exciting holiday. Their mother was always the festive one. Since she had passed, well...

“Professor Snape?” his head snapped up as the object of his thoughts stood before his desk, fidgeting with the strap of his messenger bag. 

“Yes?” he asked. Severus had noted that the boy flinched at being called Potter, so he figured it was best to leave off any name. He watched the boy straighten his shoulders as he seemed to build his courage up.

“I-I w-was wondering.” he cleared his throat, “I was wondering, if the offer to, um, to stay with you and... well, for Christmas Holidays...” 

Snape remained silent, watching his brother fidget nervously, barely able to get what he wanted out. He waited another moment of silence to see if the boy would continue. Just as he thought the boy was done, Severus opened his mouth to speak. But the boy was looking at the ground and didn’t notice. 

He turned around, “I’m sorry sir, to have wasted your time,” he murmured.

“Harry wait!” he called. The boy froze to his spot, head still dipped. “You want to know if the offer to come spend the holidays with myself and our father is still open?” Harry nodded jerkily. Severus walked around his desk, making sure to make some noise. The boy turned around with fear and hope in his eyes. “Of course it is.” Severus said softly, placing his hand gently on Harry’s shoulder. “Meet me at the entrance hall tomorrow morning at ten.”

Harry’s eyes shone with a glimmer of happiness as he gave a small smile. “Thank you sir,” he said quietly, quickly leaving the classroom.

It wasn’t until he was gone, that Severus spoke “You’re very welcome Alexander.”

()

Snape Manor was rather dreary looking. It looked as if the occupants didn’t spend too much time in the place. The exterior paint was peeling and Harry was sure that the shutters were barely holding on. A front garden was over run with weeds.

At least that was how it looked before they started walking. As the two wizards moved closer, the house changed.

What was once a two story dilapidated building became a three story Manor with bright gardens and a large expanse of land. 

Severus smirked to himself as he saw the shock on his brother’s face. His smirk became a proud smile as the boy began whispering the different shield charms that could have been used to offer up the illusion it had. 

A popping sound announced the arrival of a house elf directly in front of them. “Evening, Master Severus.  Master Tobias is waiting for you in the dining room.” It took a moment, but the elf finally noticed Harry standing there. Not recognizing the boy because of the blood adoption, the elf tilted it’s head to the side.

Suddenly it began jumping up and down. “Oh my! Master Alexander you is back! You is back!”

“Tibby!” Severus yelled. The elf immediately stopped, but kept a wide smile on his face. “Please bring our bags in.” The elf nodded happily and popped out with their luggage.

“He was just a youngling when you were taken,” Severus said quietly as they walked into the Manor. “I don’t know how he recognized you. Unless the blood adoption is fading...” He trailed off then lost in thought. 

Harry nodded, but didn’t say anything as he followed. He kept his hands clasped in front of him to keep from fidgeting. It didn’t take long before they stood before the dining room door. 

Severus paused before it, “He is a good man,” he said, not looking at Harry. “He may say things that may be hurtful, but take it from his perspective and you will understand.” 

Harry nodded and followed his professor into the dining room. At the table sat an older version of Severus Snape, only with wrinkles and gray hair. 

The man stood soon as the door opened. “Father,” Severus greeted. 

But their father only had eyes for Harry.

“This is Alexander?” Severus and Harry nodded. “How? He doesn’t look anything like... Severus?”

“I’ve explained this before, father.” 

“How is this Alexander, Severus? How do you know you were not fooled? With both known spells and potions that could-”

Harry bowed his head, but it snapped up when Snape interrupted. “That potion was perfect,” he said. Never had the man complimented his work before and now, here he was, calling Harry’s potion perfect!

“But, he doesn’t look... doesn’t act...”

“He wasn’t raised with us, how could he act like us? You should know, however, that he does have his moments: a glare here, a sneer there. I have heard he had been compared to me in the past. As for not looking like a Snape, well, I’ve gone over that with you. He was given a blood adoption potion which caused him to look like James and Lily Potter.”

Harry slowly made his way from the room as the two men spoke between themselves. They forgot that Harry was there apparently.

“I don’t know Severus. The boy is 14. Why now? Does he even want to be here?”

Harry hated being talked around. It had happened his whole life. Right now he was tired and the conversation he was hearing was making him even more so he turned around and headed up the stairs before calling Tibby to bring him to his room. 

The room was huge. A large oak four poster bed sat in the center of the room with blue and silver hangings and comforter. He could see a couple of doors, and when checked found they led him to a bathroom and a large walk in closet.

Not wanting to get used to being in the house, Harry stopped his exploring and fell onto the bed. He heeled off his shoes and cuddled under the blanket, falling into a restless sleep.

()

Severus looked at his father with annoyance. “Of course he wants to be here. He could have stayed at the castle, but I offered a visit for the holidays and he asked me yesterday if the offer was still open.” Dark eyes glanced around the room looking for the boy, when he didn’t see him anywhere, Severus called out “Tibby!”

“Yes, Master Severus?”

“Where is Alexander?”

“He is sleeping, Master. He left while Masters was arguing and asked Tibby to show him to his room. Did Tibby do wrong?” The elf said the last as he rung his ears.

“No, Tibby, thank you. Please return to your duties and tell us if he awakens,” Tobias said calmly.

“Yes Master Tobias, sir.” 

The two Snapes looked at each other for a moment before Severus spoke up, “If he is not up for Dinner, we will wake him, otherwise, he has had a largely emotional week.”

Tobias nodded and left the room to go to his study, while Severus left to unpack and check his potions lab.

The two were thinking the same thing, ‘Gods please let this work.’

()

Dinner was a very stilted affair. 

As promised, Harry was awoken for dinner by Tibby and escorted to the dining room. Tobias sat at the head of the table with Harry on his left and Severus on his right. 

Their father tried to get Harry to speak, but he got very shy, single worded answers, always followed by ‘sir’. 

It was breaking the man’s heart.

Once they were done, Harry got permission to return to his room to rest, while the two remained talking.

()

Severus Snape stared at his father hours after Harry had left for bed. “Why are you acting this way? I’ve explained all of this to you before and soon as we enter, you bombard me with ridiculous questions. You are still doing it. I cannot change his blood adoption, but it seems to be fading on it’s own.”

“Seems to be? It is not definite? I want it gone Severus! I can’t look into that face... I can’t.”

“I’m sorry. Don’t take it out on Alexander though. He hasn’t done anything wrong.”

“I don’t like it, Severus,” he went to argue, but his father held a hand up, cutting him off, “I don’t like that my boy looks like his kidnapper. It is a reminder of all that had happened. He is the reason my wife, your mother is dead, can’t you see this?”

Neither man knew that the 14 year old standing outside the door did see it.

()

Harry woke in the middle of the night after a nightmare, sweat drenching his clothes. He could still hear the voices of everyone he loved- Ginny, the twins- yelling at him to get away... that he wasn’t wanted, was never wanted.

He got up from the bed and decided to get some water from the kitchen. He had asked Tibby earlier, explaining that he was a snacker and just wanted to know where the food was. The elf had looked at his sideways, but told the young boy anyway.

He slowly made his way down the stairs, avoiding the one he knew creaked loudly, so as not to wake anyone. 

He paused as he heard whispered voices coming from the dining room. The two elder Snapes were still sitting there, talking about him. He could hear bits and pieces of the conversation through the door

“...I want it gone Severus! I can’t look into that face... I can’t.”

Harry’s heart cracked a bit at that. He couldn’t help who he looked like. He had a feeling the Potters had lost him the chance to ever have a family that loved him.

“I’m sorry... wrong.”

“I don’t like it... looks like his kidnapper... reminder of all that had happened...is the reason my wife... is dead... you see this?”

Harry was tired and annoyed at the snippets of conversation he was getting and leaned his ear against the door.

“Are you saying you don’t want him here?” he heard his professor ask.

There was silence- a long silence. Harry had his answer. He turned to return to his room he was staying in, grateful he had not gotten attached to it. He closed the door silently behind him and stood, staring at the opulent room and letting a plan form in his mind.

()

While Harry was making his way back up to his room, the two men stared at each other. Severus could see the vein throbbing at his father’s temple and looked down, lips pressed together. He didn’t know why he said that- okay, so he did. The older man was getting on his nerves about how Harry wasn’t acting like a Snape and didn’t look like a Snape... yada, yada.

“How dare you...” The older Snape hissed dangerously. Severus’ head snapped up. “After all this time, searching, waiting for some word, you find him. You have the audacity to ask if I want him here. He is my son. MY son. He could look like The Elephant Man for all I care and I would want him here! I may not like the way he looks, but I will do my damnedest to handle it!” In a low, pained voice he added, “I just wish there was something we could do about it.”

Severus ran a hand down his face, tiredly. “I’m sorry father. Just the way you were talking. You said you can’t look into that face everyday. Can’t. What am I supposed to think? Not to mention what you have been asking over and over again!”

“He is a Snape. I’m just angry, Severus. He DOESN’T act like a Snape and he sure as hell doesn’t look like one! Do you see the way he looks down at the floor when he talks to us- and not in defiance? Do you see the way he moves away from us? That’s not right.”

“I told you my suspicions before he arrived. I don’t know what went on in that house, but considering he feels he was never wanted, I suspect they ignored him at best. But don’t put that on me, or him. He can’t change the past anymore than we can. He can’t. He will learn slowly that we are not like them, but it will not be overnight.”

Tobias dropped his head in his hands before looking up again. “I-” he started, but cut off and looked at Severus in alarm. 

“The wards,” they said together.

The two wizards looked at each other wide eyed before running to Harry’s room.

The End.
End Notes:
Many many thanks to my reviewers! I am so happy that this story is being accepted positively and people enjoy it enough to leave comments. Thank you!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2954