Red as Fire by Alexannah
Summary: Snape has kept Lily’s many secrets for years. Having been forced to reveal one for Harry’s safety, the rest look soon to follow. And either Black has found a way to fly, turn invisible and tame dragons, or there is someone else after Harry’s blood too.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lucius, Original Character, Remus, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Creature!fic, Dragons, Royalty!Harry
Takes Place: 4th Year
Warnings: Violence
Prompts: Creature Royalty
Challenges: Creature Royalty
Series: Corona
Chapters: 23 Completed: No Word count: 33531 Read: 104550 Published: 13 Nov 2013 Updated: 25 Oct 2015
Oops by Alexannah

“Harry, is everything all right?”

The question didn’t take Harry by too much surprise; he’d been on the receiving end of it from pretty much everyone recently. Well, his friends and teachers, at any rate. He had his answer well rehearsed.

“Yes, I’m fine.”

He could tell Lupin didn’t believe him. Harry didn’t meet his eyes, gathering his belongings together to prepare to leave the classroom; but as he did his bag up, Lupin spoke again. “No, Harry; please wait a moment.”

Harry paused. “Professor?”

“I know you’re not all right, Harry. And I understand.” Lupin took a deep breath. “I know what Professor Snape told you about your parents.”

Well, that was unexpected. Harry stared at him, mouth open. “Er … you do?”

“Yes, I do. And it’s all right to talk about it, Harry. I can understand if you’re not ready for that, but when you are, I’m available to talk to.”

Harry just sat there, confused. Snape had expressly told him not to confide in Lupin. So how did he know?

“Professor, can I ask a question?”

“Yes,” Lupin said slowly.

“Why doesn’t Professor Snape trust you?”

“You might say we have a … history,” Lupin said hesitantly. “We were at Hogwarts together, and, er … didn’t like each other very much.”

“So—you knew my parents at school?”

“Yes.” Lupin hesitated. “I knew them both. Your father was one of the best friends I ever had. And your mother—”

“I thought you just said he and you didn’t like each other?” Harry said, now even more confused. As Lupin frowned, something suddenly hit him, a little too late. “Wait—when you said you knew what Snape told me—which, uh, bit were you referring to?”

“That—that Sirius Black betrayed them,” Lupin said, sounding stunned. “Harry—”

“Nothing else?”

“No. Hermione didn’t mention more.”

Harry swallowed nervously. Snape was going to kill him. It was too much to hope for that Lupin hadn’t noticed his slip—the man’s confusion was rapidly clearing, and he looked shocked. “Harry, what you said about your dad—”

“I’ve got to go,” Harry muttered, and before Lupin could stop him, he’d fled the office.

-

He was really in for it now. Snape may be less unpleasant behind the scenes, but Harry was still unsure he wanted to know how he’d react to know Harry had—however inadvertently—told Lupin he was his father.

Perhaps … perhaps he wouldn’t find out? Harry could go back to Lupin and beg him not to mention it to Snape … No, that wouldn’t work. Harry had never worked out how, but Snape had an uncanny knack of sniffing out guilt just from looking you in the eye.

He had only one choice. Confess to Snape what he’d done and hope the man didn’t punish him too severely. Letting Snape find out on his own would no doubt carry a worse penalty. Harry tried not to tremble as he pictured it. What would he do? Harry knew Snape didn’t hate him—but his last guardians had, and Snape was a strict disciplinarian; and he was sure that not all the punishments he gave out were part of keeping up his cover. Harry couldn’t help fearing what was coming.

As reluctant as he was, he headed down to the dungeons, ignoring the fact that it was after curfew and that was one more reason for his father to be angry at him. But there was no sign of him. Lyle consulted the twins’ map, and couldn’t find Severus Snape anywhere, so suggested Harry head to bed and go to him first thing in the morning.

-

It was one in the morning by the time Severus got back to Hogwarts. He had received last-minute notice of the availability of a rare potions ingredient, and had Apparated to the other side of the continent to harvest what he could before the short-lived plant withered. Once he’d carefully preserved it in his private stores, he finally entered his quarters, thinking longingly of his bed.

“Ahem.”

Severus whirled around to find he had just strode right past Lupin, who was sitting on his sofa and acting like he had every right to be there.

“What are you doing in my rooms?”

“We need to talk,” Lupin said, folding his arms and fixing a glare to rival Severus’ own on him.

“The next full moon is over a fortnight off and beyond that, I have nothing to say to you,” Severus snapped. “Kindly leave my quarters.”

“It’s about Harry.” Lupin stood up. “What have you been saying to him?”

“Only the usual,” Severus shot back. “You know: stupid Gryffindor, lazy brat, arrogant troublemaker … Why, has he been running to Daddy’s pet werewolf to complain? Did he turn on the tears?”

Lupin gave a hollow laugh.

“Something I said amuse you, Lupin?”

“Actually, yes. I’m not your pet werewolf, Severus.”

“What are you talking ab—”

Severus suddenly fell silent as he realised what Lupin had said.

“So,” Lupin said. “I repeat the question. What have you been telling Harry?

“None of your business.”

“Actually, as one of James and Lily’s best friends, I believe it is my business,” Lupin said, sounding uncharacteristically harsh. “Now I’m all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, but you had better have a good explanation.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Severus snapped.

“Fine. Why don’t I spell it out for you. You told Harry, for reasons currently best known to yourself, that you—not James—are his father.”

“He told you that?” Severus couldn’t help a surge of anger. His son had given him his word that he wouldn’t talk to Lupin. He’d trusted Harry to keep that promise. He’d thought Harry was always true to his word—what had gone wrong?

“Not intentionally,” Lupin replied, lifting Severus’ confusion. “But yes. So, explain yourself.”

“I don’t have to explain myself to you.”

“Fine; then you can explain yourself to Dumbledore.” That was a shot in the dark—there was no way Lupin could know for sure that Albus was unaware—but unfortunately, it hit its mark. This was certainly not the way Severus pictured Albus finding out the truth. “But either way, I know now, so you might want to consider filling me in to set my mind at rest; assuming that you’re able to defend yourself.”

“Able to defend—what exactly are you accusing me of?” Severus snarled.

“Nothing. Yet. So tell me the truth.”

Severus clenched his jaw in fury. Lupin was just about the last person—Death Eaters aside—he wanted to know; but it looked like he had no choice now.

“Fine.” Severus strode over to his shelves, opened up the hidden compartment, and took out one of the photo albums there—this time, the last one. He took it over to Lupin and handed it over without a word.

Lupin opened it up, and comprehension—along with, oddly, a flicker of relief—as he saw the wedding photo on the first page. Severus resolved that he would have to show this album to Harry, next time he saw him—it wasn’t fair that Lupin had seen it first.

“I’ll have that back now,” he said pointedly as Lupin looked set to look through the whole thing.

“Oh—yes.” Lupin handed it back, and took a deep breath before asking. “So … James …?”

“The cover story.”

Lupin nodded, his face pained, eyes distant. Severus sealed away the album.

“If you tell anyone,” he said firmly, “even Albus, then I will make sure you wish you’d never been born, Lupin. Is that clear?”

“Yes, Severus.”

“Now get out.”

Lupin left in silence. With an exhausted sigh, Severus trailed into his bedroom and collapsed on the four-poster fully clothed.

-

Harry couldn’t sleep, and went to see Snape so early that, when answered his door, he was still in his nightclothes.

“You told Lupin.”

Harry froze, stunned. How could Snape have known just from looking at him?

“He interrogated me about it in the middle of the night,” Snape added, and Harry felt slightly better. “Don’t worry; he said it was an accident. Though I’d like to know how the event occurred.”

He sounded a bit miffed, but fortunately not angry. Harry sat at Snape’s kitchen table and related the whole conversation while Snape made breakfast.

“Be more careful, next time,” Snape said when he’d finished, and that was the end of it.

Harry accepted the coffee and eggs, but he’d made his decision and, when the meal was over, pushed his plate away and braced himself.

“Thanks for the breakfast sir, but … I’ve decided I don’t want to eat here all the time.”

Snape just looked at him, face impassive. “Why not?”

“Because it’s just one more thing I’m missing out on just for being me. I already can’t go to Hogsmeade or even walk around school without someone tailing me. I’m not going to be isolated further. I want to eat with my friends in the Great Hall.”

“Harry—”

“How is here any safer anyway? Lyle’s checking all the food so it’s not like they’d actually succeed. There’s no call for it.”

“All right.” Snape sighed. “You make a good point.”

“So … I can?”

He received a reluctant nod. Silence fell for a moment, before Snape spoke again, this time very carefully.

“Harry, maybe … from time to time … you could eat here, though.”

“Why? How’s that going to make me safer?”

“Not for safety reasons. Because—” Snape hesitated. “Because I’d like it if you would.”

“Oh.” Harry didn’t know what to say. Snape leaned forward slightly, fixing his eyes on his.

“Harry, I haven’t been a father to you for twelve years. And I know I can never make up for that. But please, allow me the chance to try.”

Harry nodded. “Okay. Yeah. I’d like that.”

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2985